PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 9 vs St Kilda

Greystache
18-05-2013, 01:58 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Saturday's game against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

As always a brief explanation for your changes would be good.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Do we make some tough decisions?

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Do we make some tough decisions?

I think so. We've played a number of youngsters but need to push it further.
Good chance to have a look at the likes of Grant (again) but also the likes of Roberts and Hrovat.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I think so. We've played a number of youngsters but need to push it further.
Good chance to have a look at the likes of Grant (again) but also the likes of Roberts and Hrovat.

That's what I'm thinking.

In- Hrovat, Talia, Wallis, Grant

Out- Cross, Stevens, Goodes, Gia

It may be one of those occasions that Grant could be promoted from Williamstown reserves to AFL level.

AndrewP6
18-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Out: Goodes
In: Hrovat.

Time to see if the kid can play. Leave Goodes as insurance against injury.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 08:40 PM

It may be one of those occasions that Grant could be promoted from Williamstown reserves to AFL level.
I tend to agree, but I can't see Cross or Gia being dropped.

The Pie Man
18-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...

In: Roberts, Hrovat, Prudden,

Out: Markovic, Stevens, Goodes

Stevens had 19, but 8 of those came in a 1st quarter burst - thought he was largely ineffective

Markovic wasn't our worst, but playing him isn't time well spent Macca and you must know that

Goodes' disposal is leaning towards miss column way too much

Close to the worst 29 disposal game I've ever seen dished out from Matt Boyd. The 'chase' on the wing...real inspirational skip :rolleyes: but do you drop the captain?

Would like to see Grant, but it's hard to get promoted from 2 levels of footy away

2013 is turning decidedly ugly

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Out- Cross, Gia

Explain.

In - Wallis, Williams, Grant, Hrovat.
Out - Stevens, Markovic, Jones, Smith/Picken.

Wallis needs to come back in after his kick up the bum, while I'm a massive skeptic of Stevens' decision making. Williams to take over the role that Markovic played - just a better player, a player with a presence. Grant seems to have fallen into a black hole under McCartney, it's bizarre. He needs an opportunity, and Jones has been very poor two weeks in a row now. Hrovat, presuming he performs for Willy, gets his debut and should replace one of Smith and Picken, each of whom are guilty of consistently making poor decisions with the ball. I don't really think the last two changes will come to be but that's my take on it.

DOG GOD
18-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Geez..gia will never be dropped..he would only miss thru injury, so forget about putting him in your "outs" as an omission. It's not gunna happen.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2013, 09:54 PM
F@*%^ I hate being beaten by St Kilda

Mantis
18-05-2013, 09:55 PM

His last 2 games have been pretty good so I can't agree with this one.. Yes I understand the need to get young players into the team, but Gia is adding value to the team at present.. Perhaps later in the season, or after a string of poor games we make this move, but not now.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Agree^^ tough gig being a forward when you have 50% kicking efficiency .
Wallis must play its as simple as that.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 10:48 PM
His last 2 games have been pretty good so I can't agree with this one.. Yes I understand the need to get young players into the team, but Gia is adding value to the team at present.. Perhaps later in the season, or after a string of poor games we make this move, but not now.

He has been reasonable but he's not going to take us forward as we all know. We desperately lack run and defensive efforts, Stringer plays a similar midsized forward role and will get more footy directed at him as a primary target. Our leaders don't lead and I think it's a good time to start putting some responsibility on younger players to try to fast track them. We can bring him back later in the year as a farewell.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Agreed 10 marks today, 5 inside 50's and still has some smarts about him. he is there to teach the younger players.

I don't get why according to supporters its always his fault we lose.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Agreed 10 marks today, 5 inside 50's and still has some smarts about him. he is there to teach the younger players.

I don't get why according to supporters its always his fault we lose.

Who was blaming him for the loss? We're taking about transitioning.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Every time there is a loss his name comes up first to be dropped. The past two weeks he has shown he deserves his spot.

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 11:24 PM
He has been reasonable but he's not going to take us forward as we all know.

Taking one of our best forwards out of the side because he's old isn't taking us forward.

We desperately lack run and defensive efforts, Stringer plays a similar midsized forward role and will get more footy directed at him as a primary target. Our leaders don't lead and I think it's a good time to start putting some responsibility on younger players to try to fast track them. We can bring him back later in the year as a farewell.

That's your opinion and I can't take it away from you. Here's mine - no one knows who keeps his voice strong when the chips are down, aside from the playing group, and that's a significant part of leading. Opinions of leaders around the club suggest that Gia is the best in this regard.

I think that culling all the 'old leaders' in favour of young leaders is what's described as the Melbourne Model. I don't feel the need to elaborate further on why this has not worked for Melbourne.

And if you're not basing your transitioning judgments on performance, then what? ie. Why are you not also calling for Murphy to be dropped? Morris?

I'd like to hear your reasoning on Cross, also.

LostDoggy
18-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Our greatest issue, it seems to be agreed by most is spread and ball use. Identify the players weakest in this and replace with players who can do this.

Ins - Hrovat and Prudden
Outs - Pick the players not spreading or using it well....Gia (not ball use), Boyd and Cross all fit the bill, guess we will see how McCartney responds to the pressure that will be put on him this week. Maybe players like Smith, Stevens, Picken and Lower will be looked at. It will certainly be an interesting week.

My tips

In - Williams, Hrovat, Wallis
Out - Smith, Markovic, Picken

We desperately need tall support for Jones. Hope Williams can do this

boydogs
19-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Disappointing game from Liam Jones today, really needed him to step up. A lot of games this year the red vest has been dropped the following week, I wonder whether this will happen again.

In: Williams, Grant
Out: Jones, Markovic

kruder
19-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Its time Crossy.... Thanks a lot for you brilliant contribution over the years but with a draft of inside mids hence being played out of position, its time to bring in players who will actually play the half forward role in the future.

In: Williams, Roberts, Hrovat
Out:Cross, Markovic, Smith,

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Wallis must play every week. If it means Cross misses out then so be it.

Same with Jones, we just have to keep pumping games into him. If he gets dropped this week i'll be extremely disappointed.

If Picken isn't getting used as a tagger, then he doesn't play at all.

Goodes is being unfairly treated on here IMO atleast he's willing to show some pose and atleast try and pin point some targets. No one else is willing to take a risk with a kick in the cooridor. It's all just slam it on the boot stuff. Or a pointless handball to make it someone else's problem.

In: Wallis, Hrovat, Williams

Out: Stevens, Markovic, Picken

always right
19-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Williams must play. The coach has been keen for him to ply alongside Jones from the first round.

I would also love to see Grant given a four week block of games to save his career at the dogs. Despite his failings he has pace and X factor, which are in short supply at our club.

In: Williams, Grant, Hrovat
Out: Markovic, Picken (that hurts), Smith

Dog54
19-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Williams must play. The coach has been keen for him to ply alongside Jones from the first round.

I would also love to see Grant given a four week block of games to save his career at the dogs. Despite his failings he has pace and X factor, which are in short supply at our club.

I agree Grant has talent something we are lacking. Play him he will perform better at AFL level than the VFL.

In williams Grant Prudden/hrovat wallis

Out: Markovic, Cross, Stevens picken/lower (both don't fit into same team)

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Saints dominate us with there tall players. Not sure we could do any changes to battle that. Williams in if he is available.

firstdogonthemoon
19-05-2013, 11:02 AM
F@*%^ I hate being beaten by St Kilda

me too - i think i hate losing to them more than just about anyone else

Mantis
19-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Can't disagree with those changes.... Picken just seems lost at present, either try him forward or he gets omitted.

I saw Williams in the rooms at 1/2 time last night... Let's hope he is on the field for Willi today because he needs game time.

westbulldog
19-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Out Picken Cross Boyd Stevens
In Wallis Williams Hrovat Roberts

bornadog
19-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Out Picken Cross Boyd Stevens
In Wallis Williams Hrovat Roberts

Would you keep Markovic with two talls coming in?

bornadog
19-05-2013, 02:03 PM
In: Grant, Roberts, Hrovat, Wallis, Prudden, Williams, Hunter, Tutt

Out: Take your pick, except, JJ, Stringer, Macrae, Jones, Roughead, Smith, Griffen, Cooney, Minson Dahl, and Libba

Lets start a new rebuild

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Boyd needs to be rested, our captain running around on one leg is embarrassing.

Greystache
19-05-2013, 04:10 PM
In: Grant, Roberts, Hrovat, Wallis, Prudden, Williams, Hunter, Tutt

Out: Take your pick, except, JJ, Stringer, Macrae, Jones, Roughead, Smith, Griffen, Cooney, Minson and Libba

Lets start a new rebuild

Both these two are paying Williamstown reserves today.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Both these two are paying Williamstown reserves today.

The sooner we get our own team the better.

Greystache
19-05-2013, 04:37 PM
The sooner we get our own team the better.

Definitely. I watched Williamstown's last game and Prudden was a stand out. At least Hunter kept his place.

Ghost Dog
19-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Wallis must play every week. If it means Cross misses out then so be it.

Same with Jones, we just have to keep pumping games into him. If he gets dropped this week i'll be extremely disappointed.

If Picken isn't getting used as a tagger, then he doesn't play at all.

Goodes is being unfairly treated on here IMO atleast he's willing to show some pose and atleast try and pin point some targets. No one else is willing to take a risk with a kick in the cooridor. It's all just slam it on the boot stuff. Or a pointless handball to make it someone else's problem.

In: Wallis, Hrovat, Williams

Out: Stevens, Markovic, Picken

Agreed. As fail prone as our kick ins are, give the guy something up the ground. At least he has a go.

Ghost Dog
19-05-2013, 05:09 PM
It's alright to drop individuals based on a single performance, but what about team balance?
You could go with a young forward line of Dahlhaus, Stringer, Macrae, Jones, Hrovat and maybe Cordy, but at least throw Addison or Gia in for a bit of experience.

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Boyd out Wallis in.

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Don't rubber band the younger players. Drop if they're tired. Drop if they've had four games in a row and not settled.

I'm talking about Stevens, Smith and even Goodes (as all mentioned above).

SlimPickens
19-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Out: Cross, Boyd, Smith, Marko

In: Williams, Talia, Hrovat, Wallis

Cross and Wallis can't be in the same team, Boyd is injured but also is struggling to lead the side and drive the standards required, Marko balance, Smith needs some time down at willy.

westbulldog
19-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Would you keep Markovic with two talls coming in?

yes, good point BAD. I think Marko has done ok forward. Perhaps Williams/ Roberts could rotate off the bench what do you think ?

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2013, 11:31 PM
This will be a good week to bring in Roberts and Talia to bring some badly needed height to our defence against St. Kilda. Making way for them would be Markovic and Stevens. I would like to see Griffen played at half back changing with Boyd. It might be time to move JJ to a wing and Goodes to half forward where he played his best football at Williamstown. Cooney could play at half forward alongside Murphy with Goodes on the other flank in an attempt to revitalize our attack. Our team has become very static and needs to be refreshed. This would be my starting line up.
B. Morris Roughead Talia
HB. Griffen Roberts Young
C. JJ Lower Macrae
HF. Cooney Murphy Goodes
F. Daulhaus Jones Stringer
R. Minson Liberatore Boyd
Int. Smith Cross Giansircusa Picken
In. Roberts Talia
Out. Stevens Markovic
Talia would have the experience of Morris and Roughead in the last line of defence whilst Roberts would be flanked by Griffen and Young who have both been good performers this year.

bornadog
20-05-2013, 09:50 AM
This will be a good week to bring in Roberts and Talia to bring some badly needed height to our defence against St. Kilda. Making way for them would be Markovic and Stevens. I would like to see Griffen played at half back changing with Boyd. It might be time to move JJ to a wing and Goodes to half forward where he played his best football at Williamstown. Cooney could play at half forward alongside Murphy with Goodes on the other flank in an attempt to revitalize our attack. Our team has become very static and needs to be refreshed. This would be my starting line up.
B. Morris Roughead Talia
C. JJ Lower Macrae
HF. Cooney Murphy Goodes
In. Roberts Talia
Out. Stevens Markovic
Talia would have the experience of Morris and Roughead in the last line of defence whilst Roberts would be flanked by Griffen and Young who have both been good performers this year.

I like your thinking, however, the backline is too tall and the forward only has one tall? I would swap Roberts to the forward line.

LostDoggy
20-05-2013, 10:16 AM
. This would be my starting line up.
B. Morris Roughead Talia
C. JJ Lower Macrae
HF. Cooney Murphy Goodes
In. Roberts Talia
Out. Stevens Markovic

I would have Wallis in for Boyd, Cross or Picken

G-Mo77
20-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Here is my stab in the dark. Wishful thinking on Hrovat and it's more than likely going to be just the 2 changes with Smith/Stevens making way.

In: Wallis, Williams, Hrovat
Out: Smith, Markovic, Stevens

whythelongface
20-05-2013, 02:14 PM
To be honest I have no idea whom to bring in and no idea whom to drop. i don't think it will make too much difference anyway. I probably should say that I know who I would like to drop, but that won't happen, so really there is no point even listing my in's and out's as it is an exercise in futility.

LostDoggy
20-05-2013, 02:43 PM
To be honest I have no idea whom to bring in and no idea whom to drop. i don't think it will make too much difference anyway. I probably should say that I know who I would like to drop, but that won't happen, so really there is no point even listing my in's and out's as it is an exercise in futility.

..and it's raining outside :D

KT31
20-05-2013, 03:01 PM
..and it's raining outside :D

Not here.:D

Remi Moses
20-05-2013, 03:05 PM
No floods for a change^^

Cyberdoggie
21-05-2013, 01:54 PM
out: Markovic

in: Williams/Roberts.

JohnGentStand
21-05-2013, 02:11 PM
in Roberts
out Stevens

SlimPickens
21-05-2013, 02:12 PM
in Roberts
out Stevens

Where would you have Roberts play?

JohnGentStand
21-05-2013, 02:40 PM
sub or swingman - swapping forward / back with Markovic as required.
Probably start Marko forward and Roberts on Siposs

bornadog
22-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Macca says a couple of changes due to soreness and at least one omitted.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Where would you have Roberts play?

Good question. Wherever he played most of his junior career I reckon. Worked for Roughead.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Good question. Wherever he played most of his junior career I reckon.

He prefers playing in the forward line.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Problem solved. Bring him on already. I like this kid.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Problem solved. Bring him on already. I like this kid.

He say at our table at the season launch and I was very impressed with him. He made sure he went around the table and had a chat with every person before he sat down. His mum and Dad were also there. My first question to him was forward or back and he said forward. I said he had a great opportunity at the club because we are crying out for a key forward. He is still only 19 about to turn 20, 194cm but needs to put on some weight.

Played well on Sunday picking up 20 disposals and had 5 inside 50s.

jeemak
23-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Out - Picken
In - Roberts

I've seen enough of Picken playing as a defender to tell me he's not going to have more than one good game out of four (which he's averaging at the moment). Sure, if there's a midfielder each for he and Lower to shut down I'll wear his inclusion. Whilst I understand he might be able to kick a goal or two and provide defensive pressure as a forward, I can't see any value in developing players in that role that aren't going to be long term options there. Sure, you might ask what does Gia offer if that's the case? My answer would be at least a couple of goals a game.

I want to see if Young can play on smaller and more versatile forwards in lieu of Picken being out of the side. It won't suit him to the ground, but at least we'll find out one way or another if he can.

Roberts to get his chance forward and back throughout the game.

*Understand the coach has said one or two will miss due to soreness. Without knowing who, it's too hard to make further changes.

wimberga
23-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Macca flagged some changes in his press conference yesterday, saying there wouldn't be wholesale changes but might be a couple rested with soreness, "and 1 other".

It seems that the "other" is someone they have perhaps been flagging for a while in the VFL ie: Hrovat or Roberts. However, it could also just mean Tommy Williams.

Mantis
23-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Report on FB that Cooney will miss 2 weeks due to a hamstring bleed.

bornadog
23-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Report on FB that Cooney will miss 2 weeks due to a hamstring bleed.

Cooney out as Dogs hit fresh snag (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cooney-out-as-dogs-hit-fresh-snag-20130522-2k1pi.html)

SlimPickens
23-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Cooney out as Dogs hit fresh snag (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cooney-out-as-dogs-hit-fresh-snag-20130522-2k1pi.html)

Maybe a blessing in disguise. Gives him a 3 week break mid season and some time to freshen up.

wimberga
23-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Maybe a blessing in disguise. Gives him a 3 week break mid season and some time to freshen up.

Good point SP.

Bring on Hrovat?

wimberga
23-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Shane Delia has tweeted good luck to Nathan Hrovat and said good luck for the weekend, congrats on the first game.

Seems a lock to be in this week.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Shane Delia has tweeted good luck to Nathan Hrovat and said good luck for the weekend, congrats on the first game.

Great news, congrats to Nathan.

KT31
23-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Good luck to Nathan, hope its the start to a great career for the Doggies.

bornadog
23-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Doggies are having a business luncheon at his restaurant tomorrow lunchtime (I am going) he must be a doggies fan and maybe in the know :eek:

Mantis
23-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Doggies are having a business luncheon at his restaurant tomorrow lunchtime (I am going) he must be a doggies fan and maybe in the know :eek:

He is.... The players eat there a bit and tweet about it.

Really good feed in there, his TV show goes ok too. (It's on tonight - SBS 7.30pm)

bornadog
23-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Its time Crossy.... Thanks a lot for you brilliant contribution over the years but with a draft of inside mids hence being played out of position, its time to bring in players who will actually play the half forward role in the future.

In: Williams, Roberts, Hrovat
Out:Cross, Markovic, Smith,

Cooney is out for 3 weeks so maybe instead of Smith, change for Coons

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Hoping for a great lunch. I will be there also.

LostDoggy
23-05-2013, 06:53 PM

I met him last Saturday night after I bought dinner for 4 at the dogs B&F last year . He is a friendly guy and the food was great

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2013, 07:23 PM
In: Addison, Williams, Hrovat
Out: Cooney, Cross, Markovic

On a side note Hayes is back in for the saints. Yay

DOG GOD
23-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Great new on Hayes....back to tear us a new one like usual :(

chef
23-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Pretty happy with those changes

Mantis
23-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Cross dropped? Been along time since that happened, but was on the cards.

Not unhappy to see Williams in the team, but him not playing for 3 weeks worries me. Very happy Markovic has been left out.

Good luck to the first gamer.

wimberga
23-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Reasonably happy with the changes. Thought that Roberts may have come in for Marko and am somewhat a little surprised that Crossy has been dropped but dropping youth for youth when senior players are only just going can cause more issues.

DOG GOD
23-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Do u think cross will come back next week (give him a week to freshen up), or do you think his card has been marked?

Prince Imperial
23-05-2013, 07:39 PM
I can't say that it's the wrong decision but I do feel a bit sad seeing Cross get dropped. He's been a regular since mid 2004 and a fine and determined player for a long period of time.

Remi Moses
23-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Pretty pleased with the changes
Williams ( hopefully he gets through) for Markovic
Hrovat's a beauty. Sad for Daniel Cross but the game doesn't stop for anyone.

Remi Moses
23-05-2013, 07:49 PM

He's got old mans injury though.
Big risk, as they come back often calf injuries.

Mofra
23-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Sad for Crossy, you know he'd be hurting right now.

Strange to see Williams straight in for Marko - thought Williams would have at least one game back to VFL level. Marko played ok, if he was to be dropped I'm surprised Roberts didn't get a run.

LostDoggy
23-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Look I love the guy and everything he has done. But it wasn't like, "somebody has to go", he has punched his own ticket. I just hope they have made the point to the others not pulling their weight.

Templeton31
23-05-2013, 08:47 PM
commiserations crossy. Wouldn't have been dropped for lack of effort.

Ghost Dog
23-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Would have rather had Body take a spell than Cross. But guess you can't do that with the captain,

The Pie Man
23-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Strange to see Williams straight in for Marko - thought Williams would have at least one game back to VFL level. Marko played ok, if he was to be dropped I'm surprised Roberts didn't get a run.

I'm REALLY surprised as well...and I like/want Tom in this role! Roberts has form, and match fitness.

Really strange

Good luck to Hrovat, looking forward to seeing him

Ghost Dog
23-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Really like Hrovats highlights from Willy last week. Looks like a player who really gets involved, and a lovely kick.

JohnGentStand
23-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Looking at the selected sides I feel the Sains match up extremely well against us. Unless a fair number of our boys are at the top of their game it may not be fun to watch...again..... Griffen, Murphy, BOYD, and someone in the forward half please play blinders!

whythelongface
23-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm REALLY surprised as well...and I like/want Tom in this role! Roberts has form, and match fitness.

Really strange

I would say with the selection of Williams that it would be based on experience, rather than have a 2nd gamer come in. Match fitness (apart from injury) is the concern with Williams - selected as FF. Wonder if he will spend most of the game down there and pinch hit in the ruck for 5 or so minutes a qtr.

Great to see Hrovat selected as well.

LostDoggy
23-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Really like Hrovats highlights from Willy last week. Looks like a player who really gets involved, and a lovely kick.

Me too. Good luck to young Hrovat, hope he enjoys the experience!

As for Tom Williams, I am a little concerned about this selection and his lack of game time - then again I don't think there will ever be a game where I'm not worried about Tom getting to the final siren uninjured. Good luck Tom and welcome back!

whythelongface
23-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Is Nathan's name Hrovat or Hvorat? The team announcement email has him as Hvorat. I actually thought it was Hrovat.

AndrewP6
23-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Is Nathan's name Hrovat or Hvorat? The team announcement email has him as Hvorat. I actually thought it was Hrovat.

You're right.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Boyd's lucky.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Would have rather had Body take a spell than Cross. But guess you can't do that with the captain,
Yep.

boydogs
23-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Bit surprised with Cross & the number of posters saying his omission was justified on his output. Playing the kids could be argued, but I thought he was still giving more than Smith/Wallis/Stevens.

jeemak
23-05-2013, 10:30 PM
It is a sad day when the first realisations of a club champion's demise are experienced. I'm not happy to see Cross dropped, he's been a wonderful servant to our club and has always been an absolute credit to himself. But as another poster said, the game waits for no man.

Congratulations to Hrovat, let's hope he has a wonderful career with the Bulldogs. As for Tommy, I don't think match fitness is something I can worry about as far as he's concerned.

Really interesting to see how this week shapes up.

Remi Moses
23-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Bit surprised with Cross & the number of posters saying his omission was justified on his output. Playing the kids could be argued, but I thought he was still giving more than Smith/Wallis/Stevens.

If Crossy's output is equal to those you mentioned the chances are in a rebuilding phase the older player will get dropped.

ratsmac
24-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Cross has been a champion for the bulldogs is unlucky to lose his spot. We are in desperate need of some leg speed and poor old crossy has nothing to bring to the table. We are all about rebuilding and blooding the Kids must be paramount.

Good luck to Hrovat

Scorlibo
24-05-2013, 12:35 AM

I agree. I'm a big fan of Crossy's and don't believe he's decreased his output as markedly as some on here would have you believe.

Here's what I posted in another thread:

Not many would argue that Cross over the last 5-10 years has been one of our best players.

His disposal average in 2010: 26
First 6 games of 2013: 23

Supercoach 2010: 114
Supercoach 2013: 92

Player score contribution 2010-2011 (AFL Player Rating): ~425 (5th at the club)
Player score contribution 2012-2013: 400 (6th at the club)

That's 3 measures, each better than the last, that suggest Crossy's declined in output, but not by that much. If this is true, and the collective opinion on woof is that he was one of our very best players a few years ago, then it has to hold true that he remains a very good player?

jeemak
24-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Not this again!

Could it just be that subjective reasoning isn't valuable in itself, just like stats themselves aren't?

The stats you've shown demonstrate a very clear decrease in Cross' output. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact he's contributed in scoring involvements highly could easily be rationalised by the fact he wins a lot of the ball, and as such, should be rating highly in that area albeit at a lower rate than he has done in previous seasons (not to mention, he had what seemed to be a productive 2012).

Are you able to tell us what you've seen from Daniel Cross, without referring to stats? I've declared my bias, as have others. Are you able to do the same?

boydogs
24-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Are you able to tell us what you've seen from Daniel Cross, without referring to stats? I've declared my bias, as have others. Are you able to do the same?

Stats are the evidence supporting a claim. I could say to you "Cross wins more of the ball", "Cross wins more clearances" or "Cross gets more contested possessions", but unless I can support that with stats then it has no factual basis.

I reckon St Kilda would be pretty happy seeing his name in the omissions.