PDA

View Full Version : Kicking In - How do we fix this

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 07:03 PM
For most of the season to date, the kicking in has been an issue. JJ was not up to it, and Goodes looks a little out of his depth. We don't really have a long bomb option to a tall target as Will is not probably the best overhead mark.

When Murph was down back, was he doing the kicking in? Perhaps this may be an option.

How do we address this ASAP???

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Moving Murphy would fix this.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Delete.

craigsahibee
18-05-2013, 07:40 PM
The Goodes experiment is clearly not working, although he has plenty of mates.

LostDoggy
21-05-2013, 08:44 PM
It may work better if all our players do not congregate on the same side of the field every time. It doesn't take much effort from opposition coaches to win our "kick-ins!!"

westbulldog
21-05-2013, 09:12 PM
It may work better if all our players do not congregate on the same side of the field every time. It doesn't take much effort from opposition coaches to win our "kick-ins!!"

Give Ben Graham the brief without interference. "An on-field component will also incorporate Graham assisting players with their kicking technique. "

Bulldog Joe
21-05-2013, 10:42 PM
The kicking in issue is perhaps similar to other disposal by foot problems. I think our players are to static which limits the options for the kicker.

We need to get some movement to open up some options.

boydogs
22-05-2013, 01:05 AM
The kicking in issue is perhaps similar to other disposal by foot problems. I think our players are to static which limits the options for the kicker.

We need to get some movement to open up some options.

Usually that means play on at all costs, perhaps we need to try playing on from the kick in or taking a short option then running to receive a handball.

Bulldog Joe
22-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Usually that means play on at all costs, perhaps we need to try playing on from the kick in or taking a short option then running to receive a handball.

Sorry. It does not mean play on at all costs. It can mean play on sometimes, but there needs to be someone to kick to even after a play on.

We need players who will run to space for the kicker.

I recall watching Sydney in the GF. They clearly had a player running to be on the end of the kick in and sometimes it was for the secondary kick.

Granted they did have a running machine create some havoc by the name of Jetta.

Static players are easily covered.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 10:18 AM
We're so predictable that it's child's play to turn the ball over against us, not just from the kick-ins but everywhere on the ground. Put some pressure on the ball carrier, watch him bomb it long to a contest and just ensure you have the numbers. Wait a few seconds for every Bulldogs player to come at the ball, “cracking in” for a contested ball get and then boot it over our heads.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Solution - bring back Neil Cordy :D

Mofra
22-05-2013, 10:36 AM
"Sack the coach" - that will fix everything apparently :rolleyes:

Greystache
22-05-2013, 11:00 AM

It's a pretty big hole we're in... Maybe better sack the CEO too, just to be sure.

Mofra
22-05-2013, 01:33 PM
It's a pretty big hole we're in... Maybe better sack the CEO too, just to be sure.
You're right, but perhaps burn down the stands too?

Literally build from the ground up.

Mantis
22-05-2013, 01:50 PM

How about the coach/es actually implement some tactics that will help us move the ball down the field... That would be nice, and it shouldn't be too hard.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 02:10 PM

You're right, but perhaps burn down the stands too?

Literally build from the ground up.

Why should we do that everything is rosy.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 02:23 PM
The only kick-in that really worked was when Goodes decided to handball it to himself around a player and hit a target 50 metres away.

Although it didn't look great it was effective!

Bulldog4life
22-05-2013, 02:27 PM
For most of the season to date, the kicking in has been an issue. JJ was not up to it, and Goodes looks a little out of his depth. We don't really have a long bomb option to a tall target as Will is not probably the best overhead mark.

When Murph was down back, was he doing the kicking in? Perhaps this may be an option.

How do we address this ASAP???

Maybe go back to the Robert Walls inspired huddle. Was very effective in its day. Nothing to lose to try this again.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Maybe go back to the Robert Walls inspired huddle. Was very effective in its day. Nothing to lose to try this again.

I think the major problem is the kicker.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I think the major problem is the kicker.

I'd stick with Goodes. At least he would have multiple choices of who to kick to.

Greystache
22-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I'd stick with Goodes. At least he would have multiple choices of who to kick to.

I've liked JJ kicking in myself- Nice kick, composed decision maker, and not scared to play on if the option's there. It's a big ask for a kid with only a handful of games but it's a good learning opportunity too.

soupman
22-05-2013, 03:13 PM
I've liked JJ kicking in myself- Nice kick, composed decision maker, and not scared to play on if the option's there. It's a big ask for a kid with only a handful of games but it's a good learning opportunity too.

Also not bad at getting the hands off them again.

If I have one criticism of JJ sometimes however is that sometimes when he runs into an opponent when he has the ball he panics a bit and either gets tackled or does a hopeful handball out the side. Not sure what I'd rather him do but that is the one thing that Harbrow does have over him, an ability to have an effective last resort get out of trouble move (his huge last minute swerve at pace).

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Let's have Boyd kick in. That would be exciting.

Mofra
22-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Let's have Boyd kick in. That would be exciting.
I'd love to see him take the kick in once... just for the reaction in the stands

Ghost Dog
22-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Kicking in - When have I ever see the second black run in to put a block on their closest defender so the kicker can run out. Other teams do it all the time.

Throughandthrough
23-05-2013, 02:06 AM
I think macca is all over this. Let the other team kick heaps of goals by taking marks really close to goals. Problem solved.

chef
23-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Let anyone but Goodes take it.

BulldogBelle
23-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'd love to see him take the kick in once... just for the reaction in the stands

Boyd or Cross to alternate perhaps?

At least we dont bomb directly to the ruckman 50 metres out at every opportunity...

Our tied legs dont provide enough options for the kicker - and secondly all of our players flock to get the ball like under 10s, when the opposition get a sniff of the ball they simply loop a small kick or handball over the top and we've lost any hope