PDA

View Full Version : Whitten Oval Redevelopment

BRG1993
22-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey Guys

Just wondering if you could sign this Petition to get the AFL to Rebuild Whitten Oval with the Equalization debate firmly on the agenda what better way to get out point across than trying to convince the league chefs bring back the footy to Footscray

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/western-bulldogs-australian-football-league-redevelop-the-whitten-oval-to-help-smaller-afl-clubs

Thanks!!!

Cyberdoggie
22-05-2013, 11:47 PM
While that sounds great it simply isn't feasible.

That's almost like asking the AFL to bring back Waverley Park.

Where would people sit? on dirt mounds? There isn't exactly any room to put any seated
terraces on the Doug Hawkins wing, a quarter of the ground has the Elite learning facility backing onto it, there is no parking, no fences, no facilities, i could go on forever.

Basically it would cost a hell of a lot of money, would involve the club having to probably dismantle a lot of the redevelopment works we just put up, and would be pointless because there is a stadium the AFL will own in the future not 5 clicks down the road.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Where would people sit? on dirt mounds? There isn't exactly any room to put any seated
terraces on the Doug Hawkins wing, a quarter of the ground has the Elite learning facility backing onto it, there is no parking, no fences, no facilities, i could go on forever.

Basically it would cost a hell of a lot of money, would involve the club having to probably dismantle a lot of the redevelopment works we just put up, and would be pointless because there is a stadium the AFL will own in the future not 5 clicks down the road.

What about a stand along the whole outer wing, from the ellite training centre wrapped right around to the geelong rd end, say two levels like the one built by Geelong?

BRG1993
23-05-2013, 12:31 AM

The stands can be build over the top of the Elite Learning Centre meaning we would not have to demolish the excising redevelopment, West Footscray Station is currently being upgraded as well as a ton of new car parks being installed and the fences, facilities would all be built with new stands along the Doug Hawkins Wing, at the station end of the ground and the palm tree end of the ground

The AFL is looking at a Boutique Stadium so clearly they are looking to spend money and there is no reason why our ground cannot come under consideration also it would be cheaper to build new stands from scratch than over at Optus Oval where they have to knock down the stands that are already there and then build on top of that

AndrewP6
23-05-2013, 12:58 AM
The stands can be build over the top of the Elite Learning Centre meaning we would not have to demolish the excising redevelopment,

I'm no architect, but....how?

Remi Moses
23-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Love your idea, but reckon they'll go with cardboard cheat oval.

Maddog37
23-05-2013, 01:32 PM
If the AFL is fair dinkum about growing the game then the Western Melbourne region is just as important as Western Sydney. The idea of having a stadium in the Western growth corridor actually makes perfect sense.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Cam Rose once told me this will never happen. I have reason to doubt a word he ever said.

Sad though I agree.

Eastdog
24-05-2013, 10:22 PM
If not the Whitten Oval does the AFL have plans for a boutique stadium or is it just rumour at the moment. It would be great to have the Dogs play a few games at the Whitten Oval especially for someone like myself who hasn't watched a Dogs game there as a supporter who started going for the Dogs from 2001.

BRG1993
27-05-2013, 12:08 AM
If not the Whitten Oval does the AFL have plans for a boutique stadium or is it just rumour at the moment. It would be great to have the Dogs play a few games at the Whitten Oval especially for someone like myself who hasn't watched a Dogs game there as a supporter who started going for the Dogs from 2001.

It was something they where considering in the Equalization Study between clubs to have a smaller stadium to accommodate smaller drawing teams since Eithad won't budge on our current deal

Would be great for me personally would carry on a family legacy at Whitten Oval I only ever watched one Practice match there in 2003 we won which was a good thing