PDA

View Full Version : Should the AFL have a mid season trade period?

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
It been done in other sports, and from memory was tried 15 years ago or so. I'm not really sure on all the pros and cons, so I thought we could flesh it out in a thread.

Pros?
Cons?

If there was one this year, would we have partaken?
Who would we have facilitated a move for?
Who is not getting a run at another club would we have targeted?
Should there be a mini draft where you can top up with state players whilst cutting under performers?

GVGjr
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I couldn't support a mid season trade period as it would heavily favor the top sides. I think a trade period before the National draft is all that is required. What can clubs offer in the mid season when players are still contracted that the current trade period cant?

I don't think it's needed.

chef
01-06-2013, 06:55 PM
What would teams trade?

Can't have teams trading their end of year picks IMO.

Hotdog60
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I couldn't support a mid season trade period as it would heavily favor the top sides. I think a trade period before the National draft is all that is required. What can clubs offer in the mid season when players are still contracted that the current trade period cant?

I don't think it's needed.

I agree with this, poaching would raise it's ugly head.

chef
16-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Mid season Rookie draft(with each club getting up an additional 2 rookie spots if they wanted) would be a better idea than a trade period IMO.

Mofra
16-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Mid season Rookie draft(with each club getting up an additional 2 rookie spots if they wanted) would be a better idea than a trade period IMO.
Yup, even if it was 1 rookie spot it would be a great initiative from an AFL point of view, not sure how the VFL/SANFL/WAFL would react though.