PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 10

GVGjr
01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
This is the round 10 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

always right
01-06-2013, 11:18 PM
B:
Griffen......amazing effort and the reason we were even in the game at halftime.
Gia......one for the Gia haters. Gave us the spark.
Morris......rock of Gibralter

A:
Tommy......give this bloke a break. There is no god.

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Bankers

1. Griffen. We all know why.
2. Minson. Man is a giant this year, and I'm not referring to his height.
3. Gia. Saved our bacon.

Special mention: Stevens. Watching him limp around but still contest brought warmth to the heart.
Unlucky to miss: Goodes' second half, Morris, JJ in patches

Anchors.

1. Tommy Williams’ lucky charm
2. Wallis was a bit off tonight, will forgive due to conditions.

bornadog
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Bankers

Griffen - can't leave him out

Gia sparking up the team when he came on.

Minson - 57 hitouts is unbelievable also laid 7 tackles and his clearance work was supberb

Anchors

Tommy Williams, can't take a trick.

Stringer - needs a rest, completely lost out there tonight

Addison - after last weeks effort, back to the same old.

G-Mo77
01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Addison - after last weeks effort, back to the same old.

Wasn't great. I felt his goal was a game changer though, we controlled the game with no result and Addison's big goal from outside 50 was huge.

bornadog
02-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Wasn't great. I felt his goal was a game changer though, we controlled the game with no result and Addison's big goal from outside 50 was huge.

Yes that is true.

Eastdog
02-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Bankers

Griffen - 40 disposals. Superstar of the game

Libba - Was great in the second half

Gia - Very good after he came on

Honourable mentions: I thought Goodes got into it a bit more as the match went on. Minson good in the ruck.

Anchors:

Our skill level

Tom Williams - Another injury setback

The bulldog tragician
02-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Bankers:
In the first half, griff just looked like he was playing another game in another dimension.
Minson: to ruck virtually unchanged in that sauna - a really great effort, and what about his classy goal!
The defence saved what often looked like certain goals. Morris back to his finest, nice work from an ever more composed Roughie, and JJ 's dash was at times the only run we had.

Anchors:

Poor Tom Williams. His tears in the dugout a sad reminder of what he's endured. Classy to come back out to congratulate the boys when he must be so devastated.
Expected more from Wallis tonight in these conditions and with Boyd out- he seems down on confidence
I loathe these Darwin games.

SlimPickens
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Banker

Gia- fantastic when he came on.

3 words - Ryan Griffen

Goodes- 2nd half

Anchors

Goodes- 1st half

Gia- missed set shots in the third.

Stringer- time for a rest young fella.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Bankers:

Griffen - what more needs to be said. Sensational game.
Liberatore - dominated the clearance and contested possession, good response to a quieter patch.
Roughead - thought he was very solid down back and smiled when he collected Monfries (fairly) with the knee.

I don't really want to Anchor anyone tonight, but I guess:

Goodes' first half - redeemed himself brilliantly by the end of the game though.
Stringer - needs a rest, just couldn't get into the game at all tonight.
Umpires - thought it was an odd game, really put the whistle away at the end which I didn't mind, but thought we missed a few obvious HTB frees early, and Jones could have been awarded a number of frees which didn't go his way.

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Bankers:

Griffen - Brilliant. Even more so was he's disposal seemed alot better tonight. Something he can struggle with.

Libba - He was huge. IMO not far off beating Griffen as our best. He's ability to read the ball off a ruck contest is elite.

Jones - Didn't have the best game numbers wise. But i thought he would really struggle in these conditions, with he's fitness and repeat efforts. But he competed all match. Chased hard and made repeat efforts to cause stoppages at important moments of the match. Really impressed with that aspect of he's game tonight.

Anchors:

Stringer - Didn't want to give him the Anchor, he really shouldn't have played tonight, was always going to struggle.

Macrae - Played a really good game, but could you please stop letting your kicks get smothered!! He will learn from it.

Wallis - Again, not a bad game. But really lacks composure...

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Bankers
Griffen- Couldn't be a more certain 3 votes
JJ - Great run, plays exactly how he's told. Beats his man and then goes, loved his meters gained and intent.
Morris- Just doesn't tolerate getting done in a contest. Held the back 6 up when the dam wall was breaking in the 2nd.

Bit the same as Griffen 16 but
Anchors
- Dont know what holding the ball is anymore.
- Goodes- Torched the footy
- Hate to pot Talia but some of his exists were incredibly concerning.

boydogs
02-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Bankers
Griffen carrying us with no Boyd, Cooney or Cross in the side
Stevens contributing whilst sore
Minson getting leather poisoning

Anchors
Forward line, they need to find a way to get involved and contribute. Jones, Stringer, Dahlhaus, Addison
Picken, doesn't cut it as a defender
Williams' shoulder, getting beyond a joke

Remi Moses
02-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Bankers- Griffen ( kept us in the contest , he was outstanding)
Libba ( brilliant second half)
Morris ( very solid as per usual)
Johanssien( excellent again. NAB rising star?)
Stevens ( just for still being out there)
Gia( really had an impact)
Anchors. Wallis( just struggling a bit)
Stringer ( the bye is coming at the right time for the kid)
Exiting out of the defensive 50, is something we have to improve on.The blind kick to a contest was all to common in the first half. We have to learn to switch the play with clean ball.

comrade
02-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Forward line, they need to find a way to get involved and contribute. Jones, Stringer, Dahlhaus, Addison

Offensively, our forward line was impotent (Gia aside) but the guys you mentioned did contribute in other ways.

Jones competed all night in conditions that didn't suit him at all. He took some marks and brought the ball down more often than not which gave us a chance at ground level.

Dahl kicked an important goal and worked hard defensively.

DFA kicked a great goal at a critical time.

Only Stringer really struggled to have any impact which isn't surprising. The bye has come at just the right time for him I think.

GVGjr
02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Anchors:

Macrae - Played a really good game, but could you please stop letting your kicks get smothered!! He will learn from it.

I noticed that as well but I wonder if the conditions contributed to it

soupman
02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Bankers:
Two players who have spent much of their career being bagged and our best player by a mile.

Giansiracusa: Not sure we would have won without him. Seems that something has clicked in him now that he is sub, whether it's just his understanding of his role or his confidence in being fresher than others, but whn he comes on our forwardline structure becomes much more dangerous. I was very impressed with him tonight, as I was last week, and he should have kicked 3.

Griffen: Mantis I know you argue that he hasn't necessarily improved under Macca, but I think he absolutely has. These last two weeks he has dragged us along when we are down, and he has emerged as a leader this season. His work rate is phenomenal. He had the sub Mitchell tagging him in the last and he was still outworking him. Has become elite IMO.

Minson: Hasn't Will changed. Remember when he was that gumby up forward who was guaranteed to do something cringeworthy at least twice a match? Now he is a beast and I've never felt so confident that when the ball is bounced we will be the ones emerging with the clearance. Has been dominant this season.

Honourable mention to the Darwin crowd that seemed to be very much on our side.

Anchors:

Williams body: Everytime he shows something he gets struck down by injury. Really feel for him. I thought he looked dangerous early and I'm very dissapointed with this injury.

Kane Mitchell: You look stupid.

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Bankers:
Two players who have spent much of their career being bagged and our best player by a mile.

Giansiracusa: Not sure we would have won without him. Seems that something has clicked in him now that he is sub, whether it's just his understanding of his role or his confidence in being fresher than others, but whn he comes on our forwardline structure becomes much more dangerous. I was very impressed with him tonight, as I was last week, and he should have kicked 3.

Griffen: Mantis I know you argue that he hasn't necessarily improved under Macca, but I think he absolutely has. These last two weeks he has dragged us along when we are down, and he has emerged as a leader this season. His work rate is phenomenal. He had the sub Mitchell tagging him in the last and he was still outworking him. Has become elite IMO.

Minson: Hasn't Will changed. Remember when he was that gumby up forward who was guaranteed to do something cringeworthy at least twice a match? Now he is a beast and I've never felt so confident that when the ball is bounced we will be the ones emerging with the clearance. Has been dominant this season.

Honourable mention to the Darwin crowd that seemed to be very much on our side.

Anchors:

Williams body: Everytime he shows something he gets struck down by injury. Really feel for him. I thought he looked dangerous early and I'm very dissapointed with this injury.

Kane Mitchell: You look stupid.

Has something really “clicked” with Gia, or was he simply underestimated in the past? You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

AndrewP6
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Has something really “clicked” with Gia, or was he simply underestimated in the past? You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Massively. He's been, and still is, a very important team member.

soupman
02-06-2013, 02:51 PM

I've been a fan of Gia throughout his career so I haven't just realised he is decent, but I just think he's having more influence than he has before under Macca (this may also be affected by the quality of opponent and the closeness of the matches these last two weeks)..

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I noticed that as well but I wonder if the conditions contributed to it

Your probably right about the conditions. But I do recall seeing it numerous times in other matches too. Can't knock him when he's taking the game on though.

Maddog37
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Alot of good points in this thread but the one that really resonates with me personally was ths one;

"Kane Mitchell, you look stupid!".

Nice work Soupaman.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
B:

1. Kobe. That was old school - like when there was only 2 on the bench. Wore the pain for the team and still contributed.
2. Dahlhaus for persistence.
3. Smith seems to be going up a notch.

Honourable mention: Girl trainer #5.

A:

1. Stringer. I'm not getting off the bandwagon but that's second week in a row where he has had trouble getting involved. I think the answer is Cordy. Bring back Cordy to act as a step ladder, a blocker and a chase-butler so that Stringer can just do the pointy end magic stuff.
2. The whole Darwin venture. Every year: The conditions are awful. The spectacle terrible. Thank F for the bye because I don't think we would be able to field a team next week after that.
3. Still not sure about Goodes kicking out. Especially the short kick stuff.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Bankers
Griff - wow
The old Firm - Murphy, Gia, Minno, Morris
Libba
Special mention to JJ's "Lindsay Special"

Anchors
Poor Tom Williams
Was that Mark Zanotti playing for Port?
Camerawork - we didn't see our cheer squad all night

GVGjr
02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Anchors
Camerawork - we didn't see our cheer squad all night

I'm not sure that is an anchor. ;)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure that is an anchor. ;)

Good point :)

bornadog
02-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Please elaborate

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
B:

1. Kobe. That was old school - like when there was only 2 on the bench. Wore the pain for the team and still contributed.
2. Dahlhaus for persistence.
3. Smith seems to be going up a notch.

A:

1. Stringer. I'm not getting off the bandwagon but that's second week in a row where he has had trouble getting involved. I think the answer is Cordy. Bring back Cordy to act as a step ladder, a blocker and a chase-butler so that Stringer can just do the pointy end magic stuff.
2. The whole Darwin venture. Every year: The conditions are awful. The spectacle terrible. Thank F for the bye because I don't think we would be able to field a team next week after that.
3. Still not sure about Goodes kicking out. Especially the short kick stuff.

I think it's a risk having Stringer in the team FWIW. Underdone in the fitness department. Needs more time in the VFL to get the pace. Love the guy nonetheless. Charges in like someone with twice his experience.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Alot of good points in this thread but the one that really resonates with me personally was ths one;

"Kane Mitchell, you look stupid!".

Nice work Soupaman.

Why does Port end up with all the Kanes and the Chads. :D

QUIZ QUESTION

Select the Port Adelaide Player.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/PortAdelaide/Player%20Profiles/2013%20Profiles/MITCHELL-Kane.png

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUDprLcpky0PfXplMY1uiGv9blEZMVkXUfFyJ_6Tk kQEEYVtkDYQ

http://www.blueseum.org/show_image.php?id=31779&thumb=1

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/82/211567791_92ed9b9a32.jpg

bornadog
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
The last pic GD :D

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
:DDing! That would be former full forward of Adelaide outfit The Church, Marty Wilson Piper. :)

Sedat
02-06-2013, 07:31 PM
The games are always poor because of the humid and slippery conditions but gee it's nice to bank the 4 points almost every single time we play there. I think we are now 10 from 12 in Darwin, including the last 9 on the trot.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Love the point of Brendan. NT is part of Australia, and we owe it to those communities to spread the love.

boydogs
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Offensively, our forward line was impotent (Gia aside) but the guys you mentioned did contribute in other ways.

Jones competed all night in conditions that didn't suit him at all. He took some marks and brought the ball down more often than not which gave us a chance at ground level.

Dahl kicked an important goal and worked hard defensively.

DFA kicked a great goal at a critical time.

Only Stringer really struggled to have any impact which isn't surprising. The bye has come at just the right time for him I think.

Stringer had 5 tackles, so you could argue he did something too. Just wasn't enough, from any of them. Griff had 5 more touches than the 4 combined.

ratsmac
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
BANKERS

Griffen - Definately in the top 10 midfielders of the comp

Minson - even with everyone pumping him up this week, he didn't let it go to his head. To ruck pretty much 100% of the game was an amazing effort to come out with 57 hit outs.

Gia - Is this the same slow old bloke I was potting a few weeks back. He was the missing ingredient we needed.

ANCHORS

Tom Williams injury curse - Poor bloke, poor bulldogs.

Stringer - It just hasn't happened for him the last couple weeks. He will learn how to get involved when thing aren't quite going his way as he gets games under his belt.

Me - For calling for Gia to stand aside and let the youngsters get games. He is such a smart player and we need that knowledge out there on the ground, even when he isn't getting a kick

ratsmac
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
BANKERS

Griffen - Definately in the top 10 midfielders of the comp

Minson - even with everyone pumping him up this week, he didn't let it go to his head. To ruck pretty much 100% of the game was an amazing effort to come out with 57 hit outs.

Gia - Is this the same slow old bloke I was potting a few weeks back. He was the missing ingredient we needed.

ANCHORS

Tom Williams injury curse - Poor bloke, poor bulldogs.

Stringer - It just hasn't happened for him the last couple weeks. He will learn how to get involved when thing aren't quite going his way as he gets games under his belt.

Me - For calling for Gia to stand aside and let the youngsters get games. He is such a smart player and we need that knowledge out there on the ground, even when he isn't getting a kick

In saying that, I thought he had a number of tap ons, blocks and punches that you don't receive a stat for that was very important

bornadog
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Stringer had 5 tackles, so you could argue he did something too. Just wasn't enough, from any of them. Griff had 5 more touches than the 4 combined.

Watched a bit of the replay and whilst his disposals stats were not great he contributed to a few goals wth the odd clever tap out to players in a better position.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Please elaborate

One of our trainers. She had #5 on her back.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
The games are always poor because of the humid and slippery conditions but gee it's nice to bank the 4 points almost every single time we play there. I think we are now 10 from 12 in Darwin, including the last 9 on the trot.

errr, I guess I overlooked that.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
GD. Wicked.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Love the point of Brendan. NT is part of Australia, and we owe it to those communities to spread the love.

Ok, ok. So I shouldn't have bagged Darwin as a footy venue.

Rocco Jones
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
One of our trainers. She had #5 on her back.

Is that the one with red, white and blue ribbons on her hair? She's cool.

F'scary
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Is that the one with red, white and blue ribbons on her hair? She's cool.

And sporty.

Rocco Jones
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
And sporty.

I am waiting for an age check before making further comments.

bornadog
02-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I am waiting for an age check before making further comments.

Don't worry she is in her late 20's and doing a Masters at Melbourne Uni, very nice young lady.

Rocco Jones
02-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Anchors - F'scary and myself for derailing this thread.

We should set up a 'Bulldogs trainer #5 appreciation society'. We can sit at games with red, white and blue ribbons in our hair.

Sedat
03-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Just saw the game for the first time - really impressed with Talia's defensive efforts all game. Quite similar to his brother in defensive positioning, spoiling and general negating. I thought he smashed John Butcher off the park.

Also impressed once again by Lower's ability to shut down a dangerous opposition playmaker. Boak had no influence on the contest last night.

strebla
03-06-2013, 03:20 AM
I haven't seen the game yet as I am on nightshift but just know I am going to get distracted by trainer no5.