PDA

View Full Version : Operation Get Tom Boyd - Done and dusted

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Remi Moses
18-08-2013, 01:59 PM
"Their club wanting them out" indicates that we're not talking about elite senior players here. Imagine telling Will Minson that we didn't want him anymore after his best, All-Australian year.

In return for those two players we got Nathan Eagleton. Whether the player for player value of that trade was in our favour I don't really care, because what's best for continual success is to continue nurturing and developing the players we have.

If you think that any side these days is so individual-centric then you're deluded. No side is built around one player. In St Kilda's successful days it was Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard, Fisher and Gram who brought the improvement just as much as Riewoldt.

How have Geelong been successful without world-beating key forwards? Sydney last year? West Coast won with Quinten Lynch as their main target and Ash Hansen at CHF! Times have changed. Conversely, if you look at the midfields of these premiership and grand final sides, you'll invariably find that they were the best in the competition.

The main pea is the big forward. Hall in 05 was massive( suspended and they lose)
You miss the point, I'm saying you build a team around the big KF, and I'm not saying that's the panacea of a flag tilt only. On the flip side ( we could to and fro to the cows come home)
Not having a KF cost the Eagles the 05 flag( Matera was their only forward)
I'm not advocating we throw "The Kitchen sink"at Boyd, I'm saying we still have an eye on the BIGGER PICTURE and not get stuck in the "now"
Arguments that Boyd won't kick 80 goals and make us better, but we're not a good side with Will in his prime.

1eyedog
18-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Personally I wouldn't be overly comfortable using a first round pick on a key defender who's going to be giving up 8-10cm to many key forwards his whole career. 192cm is just over "tall" midfielder height these days.

I guess the concern is that Daniher types are pushing 200cm.

If we free up Roughead to play the R2 role with a genuine KPB I'd be all for it.

We would play Roughead on all the 6'6+ forwards.

We would play Gardiner on the Hurley's, Darlings etc. My issue with Gardiner is that we already have a similar type of player who is also going to be good in Talia, unless Talia can go forward. I don't see how Roughead can ever go forward without a another option his size to play back.

I think potentially our forward line is set if we picked up a Crameri. Grant, Jones, Stringer and Crameri is as good a set up as most clubs.

MrMahatma
18-08-2013, 03:30 PM
We could've drafted Jack Reidwoldt or Tippet.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2013, 03:41 PM
= Everitt

:(

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 01:39 AM

Been and gone. Lets get McCarthy instead.

mighty_west
19-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm not necessarily saying we should move heaven and earth to get the number one pick to aquire Boyd, but how about something like this, could this deal get the job done?

Dogs gain pick one (Tom Boyd) and GWS's third round pick.
GWS gain pick 4 (will still select a quality player), the Dogs 2nd round pick and Shaun Higgins.

Whilst injury prone, Leon Cameron would have a fair idea working closely with Higgo knowing how talented he is and give their side some experience and leadership.

The Dogs get Boyd, not only the big power forward to develop alongside Stringer, Jones and co but create general excitement around the club with this extremely marketable franchise player, could be a win/win not only on field but off.

Do we give too much here? Or would GWS simply laugh it off?

bornadog
19-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not necessarily saying we should move heaven and earth to get the number one pick to aquire Boyd, but how about something like this, could this deal get the job done?

Dogs gain pick one (Tom Boyd) and GWS's third round pick.
GWS gain pick 4 (will still select a quality player), the Dogs 2nd round pick and Shaun Higgins.

Whilst injury prone, Leon Cameron would have a fair idea working closely with Higgo knowing how talented he is and give their side some experience and leadership.

The Dogs get Boyd, not only the big power forward to develop alongside Stringer, Jones and co but create general excitement around the club with this extremely marketable franchise player, could be a win/win not only on field but off.

Do we give too much here? Or would GWS simply laugh it off?

If it works I would do it.

soupman
19-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I would do it but I suspect that's because its heavily in our favour

mighty_west
19-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I would do it but I suspect that's because its heavily in our favour

It's hard to work out a fair deal without being biased either way, if its heavily in our favour perhaps our second round pick for their 4th rather than 3rd......as long as we don't give up Griff or Minson or Libba.

boydogs
20-08-2013, 12:49 AM
GWS gain pick 4

Don't think we'll have pick 4 the way we are going

bornadog
26-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Recruiters say GWS will keep No.1 pick and use it on power forward Tom Boyd (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/draft-watch-recruiters-say-gws-will-keep-no1-pick-and-use-it-on-power-forward-tom-boyd/story-e6frfkp9-1226703305098)

DRAFT WATCH: TOM Boyd’s junior career could be over but the hulking full-forward remains certain to command this year’s No.1 draft pick.

And in a blow to clubs queuing up to bid for Boyd after Greater Western Sydney’s declaration the top pick was on the trade table, industry experts believe talk of a deal is fanciful.
A handful of club scouts canvassed by the Herald Sun believe GWS will not seriously offer up the prized pick. They agreed it could have been a strategic publicity ploy by the bottom-placed side, which also suggested picks No. 1, 2 and 3 were up for grabs last year.
"There’s no way he won’t end up at GWS. I don’t think they’d want to go down as the club that didn’t take Tom Boyd," one talent expert said.

"To prise that pick away … geez, it would take some sort of deal. You would have to move heaven and earth, and I don’t think that’s realistic," a club recruiter said.
There has been wide-ranging calls for Carlton, St Kilda, Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs to try to assemble tantalizing offers to snatch Boyd, with the quartet all crying out for a spearhead.

Boyd has missed nine weeks with nasty ligament damage to his left ankle, which he landed on awkwardly on while starring for Vic Metro at the national carnival

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Recruiters say GWS will keep No.1 pick and use it on power forward Tom Boyd (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/draft-watch-recruiters-say-gws-will-keep-no1-pick-and-use-it-on-power-forward-tom-boyd/story-e6frfkp9-1226703305098)

DRAFT WATCH: TOM Boyd’s junior career could be over but the hulking full-forward remains certain to command this year’s No.1 draft pick.

This would be the sensible approach. Am happy for him to go there instead of say the Saints or Melbourne

JohnGentStand
27-08-2013, 09:50 PM
So now that Essendon have lost their draft picks but can still trade into the draft, one wonders how the continuing Asada investigation will affect the value of the trades they offer.... i.e. does Crameri not command an early 2nd rounder as touted? What a can of worms for this draft!

GVGjr
27-08-2013, 11:11 PM
So now that Essendon have lost their draft picks but can still trade into the draft, one wonders how the continuing Asada investigation will affect the value of the trades they offer.... i.e. does Crameri not command an early 2nd rounder as touted? What a can of worms for this draft!

Did I hear that the AFL strongly believe that no player will be issued infractions. If so, it might be all done and dusted.

1eyedog
27-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Did I hear that the AFL strongly believe that no player will be issued infractions. If so, it might be all done and dusted.

I heard them say that they would not preempt what ASADA (or even WADA through them) choose to do from here.

Remi Moses
28-08-2013, 12:47 AM

Would think they will look at how they can get in the draft this year and next.
Expect to hear the name Scott Gumbleton thrown up ad-nauseam

Hotdog60
28-08-2013, 06:33 AM
I would be very wary of any player that has had injury concerns over the drug saga period because one would think they are the candidates that would have been up for the jab.

westdog54
28-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I heard them say that they would not preempt what ASADA (or even WADA through them) choose to do from here.

I heard the same thing.

Clubs will have to tread very, very warily when trading for an Essendon Player.

chef
28-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Fair result, Essendon got a decent wack.

Time to move on and focus on the finals.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
If Roos goes to Melbourne
And the AFL then fold like the cheap suit they are and give Melbourne a pre round 1 pick.
Then this thread is back in the game.

I could live with pick 4 and Clay Smith
For pre pick 1 and change

We have the midfield depth to cover Clay, he's been one of the good'uns from the '11 draft, and he's exactly what the tanking, whinging, whining, pathetic excuse for a club needs. Hard, hard, hard.

Would be a solid win:win and probably the strongest offer on the table for the dees

If they took aish and then crouch or sheed with the picks 2/4 as well they could turn their fortunes rapidly

We get our exact need. So do they. The ideal trade scenario.

azabob
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
And the AFL then fold like the cheap suit they are and give Melbourne a pre round 1 pick.

We have the midfield depth to cover Clay, he's been one of the good'uns from the '11 draft, and he's exactly what the tanking, whinging, whining, pathetic excuse for a club needs. Hard, hard, hard.

Would be a solid win:win and probably the strongest offer on the table for the dees

If they took aish and then crouch or sheed with the picks 2/4 as well they could turn their fortunes rapidly

I would be very very very very very against trading Clay Smith. Between him and Liberatroe we have two beast of men who when the kitchen is most hot (Prelim final & GF) they are the types you need on your side not against.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
I would be very very very very very against trading Clay Smith. Between him and Liberatroe we have two beast of men who when the kitchen is most hot (Prelim final & GF) they are the types you need on your side not against.

No one ever wants to trade best 22 but you have to offer very good players to get pick 1. If we want Boyd, and we won't trade the sacred cows (griff, Minno, Libba, roughy etc) then Smith is the only "depth and class" player we could table. GWS wouldn't take him but Melb would and should I think. I'm bored by bigfooty rubbish & bulldust = pick 1. We would have to trade something that makes us wince to get Boyd. Or we can just use pick 4 ourselves. But I want the big gorilla forward please and I can live with Libba, Wallis, Griff, Coons, Macrae and probably Stringer as my midfield.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I would also be dead against trading Clay, he has quickly become my favourite player and has yet to fully develop as a player. He will be a star in a couple of years and I would prefer him to star for the dogs.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Cool. Out of interest is there anyone decent you boys would trade for Boyd or are you just against trading for him.

Please don't say Addison or Wood as its too early for the taste of sick in the back of my throat :)

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Cool. Out of interest is there anyone decent you boys would trade for Boyd or are you just against trading for him.

Personally I am against trading for him on the basis that the cost would be too great. I believe we only have 3 players (with or without pick 4) who would command pick 1, and they finished 1, 2 and 3 in our B&F last night. Shipping these guys out for an untried junior, no matter how good the wraps are on him, would just be too damaging to the culture of the Club. But then again I might just not be brave enough.

bornadog
05-09-2013, 10:03 AM

I could live with this one as much as I would hate to lose Smith.

Mofra
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Personally I am against trading for him on the basis that the cost would be too great. I believe we only have 3 players (with or without pick 4) who would command pick 1, and they finished 1, 2 and 3 in our B&F last night. Shipping these guys out for an untried junior, no matter how good the wraps are on him, would just be too damaging to the culture of the Club. But then again I might just not be brave enough.
Agree completely.

Who would trade pick 4 and Clay Smith for Jack Watts?
Patton was the best thing since sliced bread, now he's recovering from an ACL.

Not to mention we've done fairly well in signing players for less than market value recently (hi Griff) so forcing players out needs to be considered in the context of wider list management.

chef
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Please don't say Addison or Wood as its too early for the taste of sick in the back of my throat :)

No.

Would rather keep 'decent player' & pick 4 over pick 1.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
No.

Would rather keep 'decent player' & pick 4 over pick 1.

And that's totally cool. But it calls for thread closed :)

bulldogtragic
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Leaving the pain of losing someone aside, can you imagine the feeling of pride and utter excitement for bulldog people in snaring Boyd on Draft night:

Vlad reads "pick one, Western Bulldogs".
JMac reads "player 123456, Tom Boyd, Eastern Ranges"

Tom walks on stage to applause to collect his tri-colour from BMac and poses in his new jumper with BMac and Vlad for the Hun's back page photo to the headline "Dogs future Boyd".

I'd have kittens.

(We won't know the excitement of a number 1 pick moment like this for, at least, over a decade so it's fun to fantasise. And that's all it is, because I can't see what we WILL offer to purchase the rights to these circumstances.)

DOG GOD
05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
GWS would be absolutely idiotic not to take Boyd. Patton may never return in the capacity they had hoped. Cameron obviously needs help and even if they did get Buddy, I don't think it would make a difference. GWS like to play games and come trade/draft period we will hear Vlad read out Tom boyd's name to GWS.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
GWS would be absolutely idiotic not to take Boyd. Patton may never return in the capacity they had hoped. Cameron obviously needs help and even if they did get Buddy, I don't think it would make a difference. GWS like to play games and come trade/draft period we will hear Vlad read out Tom boyd's name to GWS.

I got the impression after talking to Macca last night at the Charles Sutton Medal, that he doesn't see a way of GWS losing its strong hold on Tom Boyd. At the same time I sense that our coach still has Crameri high on his radar.

Remi Moses
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't see them trading for pick 1.
They probably will the other picks, but couldn't imagine GWS wanting to be remembered as that team that traded Boyd.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
I got the impression after talking to Macca last night at the Charles Sutton Medal, that he doesn't see a way of GWS losing its strong hold on Tom Boyd. At the same time I sense that our coach still has Crameri high on his radar.

Was that sense on Crameri through speaking with him NBP?

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Was that sense on Crameri through speaking with him NBP?

Yes it was and who knows that BMcC having spent a year at Essendon before joining us that his rapport with the Bomber players could have rubbed off, as we have seen with Campbell and Dickson.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
The Melbourne coach Paul Roos has stated that he is prepared to trade the #2 pick. This would seem to be a further obstacle to get Tom Boyd. Melbourne already have Hogan et al so were less likely to want Boyd than a midlfielder or KPB.

Remi Moses
06-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Roos doesn't rate drafting kids in .
Although I think he's bluffing, it is possible.
What's next the AFL Demons asking for an extra 900 in the salary cap.

Mofra
06-09-2013, 03:52 PM
The Melbourne coach Paul Roos has stated that he is prepared to trade the #2 pick. This would seem to be a further obstacle to get Tom Boyd. Melbourne already have Hogan et al so were less likely to want Boyd than a midlfielder or KPB.
It would be easier to upgrade to pick #2 and pick the best midfielder than it would to get pick #1. As Sheedy later said, who'd want to be known as the coach that traded away the pick 1 that went on to be a star?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Roos doesn't rate drafting kids in .
Although I think he's bluffing, it is possible.
What's next the AFL Demons asking for an extra 900 in the salary cap.

What's next? Selling Melbourne FC to Clive Palmer to make up for no Senate seats.:rolleyes:

bornadog
06-09-2013, 05:27 PM
What's next? Selling Melbourne FC to Clive Palmer to make up for no Senate seats.:rolleyes:

Clive follows the Doggies:D

bulldogtragic
06-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Then we should pursue Rupert as #1 ticket holder.

Win-Win.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2013, 12:35 AM

That's what he tells all the clubs. He likes babies too.

bornadog
07-09-2013, 01:43 AM
That's what he tells all the clubs. He likes babies too.

He was born in Willi and the family moved to Gold Coast when he was a kid.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
He was born in Willi and the family moved to Gold Coast when he was a kid.

Great, broad church.

Topdog
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM

If they are prepared to trade pick 2 than they 100% shouldn't get a PP

Bulldog4life
07-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Roos is already talking about receiving a PP!:eek:

1eyedog
07-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Would have been one of the prerequisites prior to accepting the role.

mjp
07-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Disagree. If they have Buddy and Franklin and Patton then why pick Boyd? Trade the pick for Rory Sloane/Sauce Jacobs and let Adelaide have Boyd...or try and do something like that. Way is the point of having 4 marking talls who all need to play.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Agreed but AFL headquarters may see it all as just currency to the club whether it be trading pics or drafting is neither here nor there.
I am preaching to the converted but the hole that Melbourne is in is not for lack of onfield talent its because of a poor culture, so there fore they don't deserve a PP, its throwing good money after bad. Giving them a PP is an insult to the Bulldogs in particular who have been compromised in the draft by the expansion teams plus have lost a very good player, Harbrow and a great player, Callan Ward who were critical to our development. Yet our time down the bottom and subsequent draft concessions is to be compromised again, this time because of inefficient Melbourne management.
Well its all grist to the mill because we fight on regardless with Clay Smith, Wallis and Libba tenacity.

bornadog
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Would have been one of the prerequisites prior to accepting the role.

Not confirmed. The AFL commission will consider Melbourne's application at the meeting per Brownlow night.

azabob
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Not confirmed. The AFL commission will consider Melbourne's application at the meeting per Brownlow night.

I guess it depends which side of the coin you look at.

You were adamant that the rising star was decided mid year, but wasn't confirmed until the votes were counted.

I guess some posters think the decision has already been made.

Mofra
07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Disagree. If they have Buddy and Franklin and Patton then why pick Boyd? Trade the pick for Rory Sloane/Sauce Jacobs and let Adelaide have Boyd...or try and do something like that. Way is the point of having 4 marking talls who all need to play.
Aren't Adelaide barred from trading into the first round this year due to the Tippett saga?
One key difference between the Crow & Bomber punishment provisions.

bornadog
07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
I guess it depends which side of the coin you look at.

You were adamant that the rising star was decided mid year, but wasn't confirmed until the votes were counted.

I guess some posters think the decision has already been made.

I was just pointing out what the commission has said. The rising star is different. The PP effects all clubs and is a serious decision and opposed by a majority of clubs.

DOG GOD
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Fair enough MJP,but is there any guarantee that Patton will be as good and mobile before his knee reco? Reports are that they will play Cameron as CHB...I guess time will tell.

azabob
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Fair enough MJP,but is there any guarantee that Patton will be as good and mobile before his knee reco? Reports are that they will play Cameron as CHB...I guess time will tell.

The only report I have read of playing Cameron CHB is by the human headline Kevin Sheedy.

Why on earth would you want to play Cameron CHB?

DOG GOD
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
The only report I have read of playing Cameron CHB is by the human headline Kevin Sheedy.

I personally wouldn't, but strange things happen in the AFL :)

mjp
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Aren't Adelaide barred from trading into the first round this year due to the Tippett saga?
One key difference between the Crow & Bomber punishment provisions.

The Adelaide names were just an example. :)

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM

I would assume that is just Kevin playing his games.

They know they can't fit them all in the same side or even squad.

GWS need and want someone to trade with them to get Boyd. Kevin is just trying
to scare the other clubs who might think they can get lucky and pick Boyd without having to trade because GWS won't pick him. He's just trying to start a bidding war.

Someone will trade, Boyd is too big a fish for there to be no offers, or no reasonable offers at least. Will just depend on what GWS think is reasonable.

LostDoggy
11-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Will just depend on what GWS think is reasonable.

Their exposed approach to trading is they would consider Libba and Griff + our 2nd rounder as maybe being fair....

I note we've reached 808 responses and counting on this thread :). I trust our recruiting dept will be as diligent as we have been in exploring all options! I would love them to be smarter than we are and to find a workable solution we can all live with as well!

Twodogs
11-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the recruiting department is smarter than me.

Greystache
11-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Their exposed approach to trading is they would consider Libba and Griff + our 2nd rounder as maybe being fair....

That's what they're putting out there but they're dreaming and everyone knows it. They also know other than a team who desperately wants a key forward, their #1 pick is worth no more than picks 2, 3, or 4 such is the evenness of highly rated midfielders. I don't think there's any chance they'll not take Boyd at #1, but even if they do look to swap picks for mature players they're not going to clean up in doing so.

chef
12-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Screw Boyd, maybe it should be Operation Get Patton. Wonder if pick 4 would get the job done.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Screw Boyd, maybe it should be Operation Get Patton. Wonder if pick 4 would get the job done.
Boyd ain't coming. As realistic as getting a Clone of Carey. But Patton looks a realistic chance.

OGP

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Boyd ain't coming. As realistic as getting a Clone of Carey. But Patton looks a realistic chance.

OGP

I'm down with OGP. As you say a much more realistic chance than Boyd.
We are going to have to be very aggressive however, and creative to pull it off. There will be a lot of willing suitors if the SEN rumours of GWS looking to move Patton on are true.

bornadog
17-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Boyd buoyed by Grand Final prospect (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-17/boyd-buoyed-by-final)

stefoid
17-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Maybe they just prefer Boyd to Patton?

mjp
18-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Maybe they just prefer Boyd to Patton?

...and that's fine...but in those circumstances they wouldn't 'have' Patton, would they. They would trade him for midfield help.

They only need 3 of the 4. I suspect if they trade Patton it means Buddy is on the way.

Bulldog Joe
18-09-2013, 12:51 PM
...and that's fine...but in those circumstances they wouldn't 'have' Patton, would they. They would trade him for midfield help.

They only need 3 of the 4. I suspect if they trade Patton it means Buddy is on the way.

Surely the situation with Buddy will be clear before the trade period.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Surely the situation with Buddy will be clear before the trade period.
Looks pretty clear to me, reading tea leaves of course, but reports are Hawks have removed the offer fom the table. My guess Hawks not confident.

Ghost Dog
18-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Looks pretty clear to me, reading tea leaves of course, but reports are Hawks have removed the offer fom the table. My guess Hawks not confident.

I'm not quite sure what that means. Does that mean they are forcing Franklin to come to them instead? Or indicating he's not a required player?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not quite sure what that means. Does that mean they are forcing Franklin to come to them instead? Or indicating he's not a required player?
I read it as the former. To me it's a last roll of the dice move, which (if I'm correct) means theyre not very confident he's staying. Just my hunch anyways.

ledge
18-09-2013, 03:40 PM
As a person who has done a few EBAs it means one is calling the other out to see if their is anymore in the coffers. It's a gamble and usually the managers pushing it.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Franklin's manager, Liam Pickering claims he doesn't know what Franklin wants, which may mean Franklin doesn't know what he wants, except perhaps to be wanted.
If Franklin does go, it would have to help our chances of recruiting Patton.

bornadog
18-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Franklin's manager, Liam Pickering claims he doesn't know what Franklin wants, which may mean Franklin doesn't know what he wants, except perhaps to be wanted.

Maybe Franklin wants to play finals:p

chef
18-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Maybe Franklin wants to go back to WA.

anfo27
18-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Why on earth would Liam Pickering tell the world that buddy would want to leave during the season. Would not take any notice of anything coming out of his mouth.

LostDoggy
18-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Why on earth would Liam Pickering tell the world that buddy would want to leave during the season. Would not take any notice of anything coming out of his mouth.

True. If the Cats get up, he'd walk on Monday.

ledge
18-09-2013, 07:05 PM
True. If the Cats get up, he'd walk on Monday.

If the hawks get up he would be mad not to walk, they have an ageing list that will tumble as quick as ours did next year or year after , due to age and retirements.

Dancin' Douggy
18-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Abblett. Scully. Ward. Franklin.
When the drums beat this loud. It happens.

LostDoggy
19-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Abblett. Scully. Ward. Franklin.
When the drums beat this loud. It happens.

Cloke

Mofra
19-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Cloke
Taylor Walker

1eyedog
19-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Taylor Walker

Chris Grant

mighty_west
19-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Chris Grant

Travis Boak

Happy Days
19-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Travis Boak

Andrew Swallow

He'd already signed and been given the captaincy of GWS according to pillar of the AFL community Greg Denham

bulldogsthru&thru
22-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Boyd kicked a lazy 4 goals in the TAC cup today. 3 in the first qtr.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Boyd kicked a lazy 4 goals in the TAC cup today. 3 in the first qtr.
Not bad for his first game back!

comrade
22-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Not bad for his first game back!

Pretty average coaching by Dandenong after quarter time. Put a loose man back to double team Boyd on every occasion so his influence was nullified for the majority of the game.

Didn't help the Stingrays at all. Let others off the leash and they or pummeled.

bornadog
01-10-2013, 01:03 AM
GWS put No.1 draft pick on the trade table and want rivals to come to the party (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-put-no1-draft-pick-on-the-trade-table-and-want-rivals-to-come-to-the-party/story-fn69a32t-1226730194867)

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
GWS put No.1 draft pick on the trade table and want rivals to come to the party (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-put-no1-draft-pick-on-the-trade-table-and-want-rivals-to-come-to-the-party/story-fn69a32t-1226730194867)
Interesting.

stefoid
01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Interesting.

Boyd is on the table the same way Griffen is on the table for the 'right' deal. i.e. a deal that is so ludicrously skewed in our favour we couldnt refuse it.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
GWS won't be trading the Boyd pic 1 now. Altered scenario.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Ah well, no Buddy, no Fyfe, maybe they'll offer Griff $750,000 a year.

stefoid
01-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe Franklin wants to play finals:p

maybe he does...

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Interesting Boyd just spoke saying he is meeting with GWS, Dees and Saints at the combine. No mention of us

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Interesting Boyd just spoke saying he is meeting with GWS, Dees and Saints at the combine. No mention of us
Well that's that then.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Well that's that then.

Is it just me or has this offseason gone from looking promising/optimistic to very gloomy and disappointing? I mean there was talk of Patton and perhaps Boyd and since Buddy's decision things have gone from bad to worse

chef
02-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Is it just me or has this offseason gone from looking promising/optimistic to very gloomy and disappointing? I mean there was talk of Patton and perhaps Boyd and since Buddy's decision things have gone from bad to worse

Im wrapped to have pick 4 and Crameri.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Im wrapped to have pick 4 and Crameri.
It's not a bad fallback is it. But another fruitless trade period in consideration of this never coming gun FF freak.

LostDoggy
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Not gloomy. Got every confidence that we'll be delivered a crop of talent from this draft just like the last two-three years, especially with JMac/BMac working closely together again.

Just can't rely on F/S's this year for an easy draft pick leg-up.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
It's not a bad fallback is it. But another fruitless trade period in consideration of this never coming gun FF freak.

Yeah. Guess i was just hopeful of getting Patton. Pick 4 is great but im not overtly excited about anyone outside Boyd and Aish

comrade
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah. Guess i was just hopeful of getting Patton. Pick 4 is great but im not overtly excited about anyone outside Boyd and Aish

We were always a <25% chance to get Patton and it was contingent on other deals falling into place. The Buddy deal has fallen apart, we had no influence so there's no point in feeling gloomy.

That being said, Trade Week hasn't even started yet ;)

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2013, 04:42 PM
We were always a <25% chance to get Patton and it was contingent on other deals falling into place. The Buddy deal has fallen apart, we had no influence so there's no point in feeling gloomy.

That being said, Trade Week hasn't even started yet ;)

True. Its probably the key FF we have been lacking that has led to the initial excitment over Patton. Being able to draft the 4th best kid in the country is certainly promising

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Just because we don't land a superstar FF, it doesn't mean we can't have a successful off-season and considerably improve in 2014 and look to contend in 2015 onwards.

Plenty of teams have won Premierships with "solid" key forwards. Geelong with Mooney, West Coast with Lynch, Sydney with Reid.

We lost the '09 PF because we simply did not kick straight.

The doom and gloom over not getting a superstar KPF is a bit much, for mine. Handy and preferable, sure, but to suggest you can't contend/win without 1-2 solid talls and a plethora of dangerous mediums/smalls is ridiculous.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Just because we don't land a superstar FF, it doesn't mean we can't have a successful off-season and considerably improve in 2014 and look to contend in 2015 onwards.

Plenty of teams have won Premierships with "solid" key forwards. Geelong with Mooney, West Coast with Lynch, Sydney with Reid.

We lost the '09 PF because we simply did not kick straight.

The doom and gloom over not getting a superstar KPF is a bit much, for mine. Handy and preferable, sure, but to suggest you can't contend/win without 1-2 solid talls and a plethora of dangerous mediums/smalls is ridiculous.

Wasnt suggesting we cant contend/win without a KPF. Also i wasnt referring to our future being gloomy, moreso our activity in the upcoming trade period. Dont think we'll be making any major moves, which can obviosuly be a good thing. WIll start looking forward to the draft. Intrigued to see who we will take

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Apparently Freo are meeting with Boyd too according to Emma Quayle.

Dry Rot
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Mumford to the Giants, so no possible Minson deal

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-02/mumford-to-join-giants

Bulldog4life
02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Wasnt suggesting we cant contend/win without a KPF. Also i wasnt referring to our future being gloomy, moreso our activity in the upcoming trade period. Dont think we'll be making any major moves, which can obviosuly be a good thing. WIll start looking forward to the draft. Intrigued to see who we will take

I think it is a major move prying Crameri away from the Bombers. Not minor anyway.

bornadog
17-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Bump

How much do we offer now that Patton is injured?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Bump

How much do we offer now hat Patton is injured?
Sorry mate I'm not sure of the question. Are we offering for Patton or Boyd. Main board has a good discussion going too.

Twodogs
18-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Sorry mate I'm not sure of the question. Are we offering for Patton or Boyd. Main board has a good discussion going too.

I think BAD means do we move in from Patton and make Boyd our next target for a Godfather deal?

bornadog
18-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I think BAD means do we move in from Patton and make Boyd our next target for a Godfather deal?

Spot on

1eyedog
18-08-2014, 10:34 AM

I think Boyd is their non-negotiable. He could be anything but it would take everything to get him.

Maddog37
18-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Not sure I rate Boyd just yet. Not wanting to go early on him but he looks like he lacks athleticism to me.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Not sure I rate Boyd just yet. Not wanting to go early on him but he looks like he lacks athleticism to me.

He did kick an impressive goal yesterday, but yes, he is a long way off at the moment. Looks as raw as anyone.

Sedat
18-08-2014, 04:34 PM
I think Boyd is their non-negotiable. He could be anything but it would take everything to get him.
And Cameron now as well with Patton going down. I'd say they would now hold onto Tomlinson as well as there is no guarantee that Patton will come back, and he won't until 2016 in any event. Jaksch is the only one that might be squeezed out and it will likely be a bidding war for a completely unproven player who may not even prove to be AFL standard - no thanks.

Greystache
18-08-2014, 04:46 PM
And Cameron now as well with Patton going down. I'd say they would now hold onto Tomlinson as well as there is no guarantee that Patton will come back, and he won't until 2016 in any event. Jaksch is the only one that might be squeezed out and it will likely be a bidding war for a completely unproven player who may not even prove to be AFL standard - no thanks.

Agree with this. I hear his name mentioned in nearly every trade scenario as if he's a proven star that clubs should be scrapping with each other to get. He struggles to get a game in a team that is shithouse, and when he has played he's looked the poorest of a group of poor key defenders. No thanks.

Remi Moses
18-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Agree with this. I hear his name mentioned in nearly every trade scenario as if he's a proven star that clubs should be scrapping with each other to get. He struggles to get a game in a team that is shithouse, and when he has played he's looked the poorest of a group of poor key defenders. No thanks.

Likewise. The guy's not getting a gig at all.
I'd go the draft line

GVGjr
18-08-2014, 08:15 PM

I think Tomlinson could be secured but it would need to be a good offer. Jaksch could be more of a structure player for us.

josie
18-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I like what little of seen of Tomlinson. Does he play regularly in the seniors? When is he out of contract?

1eyedog
19-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Yes I agree Jaksch will be spat out and there is discussion on the GWS board about the potential of McCarthy to play back and that was why he was drafted.

Sedat
19-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Making a big play for Patton was the right call to make (pre 2nd knee of course), but I would be loathe to pay overs for players that will not, or at the very least haven't proven at AFL level that they will, remedy our structural issues. Tomlinson would require massive overs to prise him away from GWS now that Patton is out for 18 months - I like him as a player and think he could add some value to our team both up forward and down back, but the price to secure him now would likely be enormous. And Jaksch hasn't proven anything of note at AFL level, or indeed much at NEAFL level to get particularly enthused about. From what I can gather, being school mates with Hrovat and Macrae is about the extent of the excitement.

LostDoggy
19-08-2014, 06:04 PM
John Butcher is really coming into focus now that General has gone down.

Webby
19-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure of his contractual circumstances and his form has tailed off badly over the past couple of weeks, but Charlie Dixon is one who I wouldn't mind testing out. He's not an A grader, but he's a good competitor who is of good size. He's a Queenslander, but might be tempted to live in AFL Town.

Greystache
19-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure of his contractual circumstances and his form has tailed off badly over the past couple of weeks, but Charlie Dixon is one who I wouldn't mind testing out. He's not an A grader, but he's a good competitor who is of good size. He's a Queenslander, but might be tempted to live in AFL Town.

He'd also be a good compliment to Campbell. He could play 66/33 forward/ruck and Campbell could do the opposite. I think he'd be hard to get though.

divvydan
19-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Would be happy with that but might need to find a genie to grant him new ankles.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Bump. Must be the minimum, I don't care what gws say.

soupman
10-10-2014, 11:48 PM

Absolutely.

I think we set ourselves to get Tom Boyd, and anything else we can snag on top would be a bonus.

I want us to target Hoskin-Elliot as well with our pick 6, so something like Griffen and 6 for Boyd and WHE, but Boyd is the non-negotiable part of that deal.

FrediKanoute
10-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Not going to happen. If we get away with pick 4 & a mid tier we will be doing well - GWS will use Beams and Ryder are levers to get the deals done (ie take pick 7 otherwise we may use it in the Ryder deal.....)

Greystache
11-10-2014, 03:04 AM

Why would he want to come to us?

GWS has no culture, but even still it's better than ours.

What could we offer him? Maybe we could say come to us and if you make it as a player you'll be bigger than the club, is that a selling point?

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Do we wanna revisit the Big Will and 5 for pick one again?;)

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 04:16 AM
I reckon we get the picks and run .
Boyd's had a few games so it wouldn't be to much of a development issue if we pick up Mccartin or Wright.
Apparently Griffen's contract up there is a little more than we're being told(BF so take with a grain of salt )

jeemak
11-10-2014, 04:22 AM
The mouthpiece Jake Niall was the one who started the talk of it being less, and seemingly had the first semi-credible story on Griffen leaving.

Take his words with a grain of salt, I really struggle to see any manager agreeing with a deal that would see his/her commission cut while negotiations are made to move a player whilst he is not contactable and overseas.

If Griffen has moved for less money it would be an immaterial amount, if you believe it in the first place.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 04:37 AM
The mouthpiece Jake Niall was the one who started the talk of it being less, and seemingly had the first semi-credible story on Griffen leaving.

Take his words with a grain of salt, I really struggle to see any manager agreeing with a deal that would see his/her commission cut while negotiations are made to move a player whilst he is not contactable and overseas.

If Griffen has moved for less money it would be an immaterial amount, if you believe it in the first place.

I'd be staggered if he went up there for less .
Enjoy the land of car jackings and drive byes .
Yes I'm getting more bitter by the second.
Goodnight

Topdog
11-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Him going for less is surprising to say the least. GWS having no room in the salary cap is pure fantasy.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 05:28 PM
What is stopping us putting a big offers in front of Boyd or WHE and trying to get them to request a trade to us. Heck we could offer both big offers as we have the war chest and get them both to request a trade. Boyd and WHE for Griffen & Pick 5.

if we could get them to say they wish to leave the club, it opens the door for us!

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 05:40 PM
What is stopping us putting a big offers in front of Boyd or WHE and trying to get them to request a trade to us. Heck we could offer both big offers as we have the war chest and get them both to request a trade. Boyd and WHE for Griffen & Pick 5.

if we could get them to say they wish to leave the club, it opens the door for us!

With the salary cap as it is, i'd throw $800,000+ at both Cameron and Boyd, front loaded. The intro is "Hi Tom/Jeremy, would you like over 1 million dollars next year. This is Jackson, Marcus and Nathan, they'll be serving you. This is Jake and Stew taking good defenders away from you. We've got a handful of top end draft picks too. Call anytime."

bornadog
12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
With the salary cap as it is, i'd throw $800,000+ at both Cameron and Boyd, front loaded. The intro is "Hi Tom/Jeremy, would you like over 1 million dollars next year. This is Jackson, Marcus and Nathan, they'll be serving you. This is Jake and Stew taking good defenders away from you. We've got a handful of top end draft picks too. Call anytime."

How can anyone baulk at that.

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Would be stoked if it happened, but our club is just so unstable ATM.
Can't see it happening

comrade
12-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Can anyone really see our senior management orchestrating a deal like that? I have absolutely no faith in their ability to get anything but a 'reasonable' outcome (something like Griffen for pick 4). A home run is out of the question with the blokes we have running the show.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Can anyone really see our senior management orchestrating a deal like that? I have absolutely no faith in their ability to get anything but a 'reasonable' outcome (something like Griffen for pick 4). A home run is out of the question with the blokes we have running the show.

History says no. But if my guess of a $2 million salary cap hole (Ccons, Griff, Jones, Tutty, Higgo, Gia, Tommy , Minno?, etc). We could front end $1.5 million in next year's SC to any contract. We need to pay the SC, we seemingly will spend the week with GWS. Even if it's starts as an Internet rumour re-tweeted by a lazy journo, the jungle drums must beat, by Garlick or by us....

I heard Tom Boyd's manager convened an urgent meeting today (Sunday) about the dogs offering a 6 year deal worth $5 million. $1.5 million paid next year's as sign on bonus...

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:25 PM
History says no. But if my guess of a $2 million salary cap hole (Ccons, Griff, Jones, Tutty, Higgo, Gia, Tommy , Minno?, etc). We could front end $1.5 million in next year's SC to any contract. We need to pay the SC, we seemingly will spend the week with GWS. Even if it's starts as an Internet rumour re-tweeted by a lazy journo, the jungle drums must beat, by Garlick or by us....

I heard Tom Boyd's manager convened an urgent meeting today (Sunday) about the dogs offering a 6 year deal worth $5 million. $1.5 million paid next year's as sign on bonus...

It's on Twitter already. Must be real, looks like I didn't make it up.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 07:30 PM
It's on Twitter already. Must be real, looks like I didn't make it up.

done ;)

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
done ;)

Shit, it looks like my tongue in cheek comment is real. I'd Boyd worth 6 years, I hope so. Looks like GWS are going to have to take this seriously. $1.5 next year is surely too much for them to deprive Boyd?

bornadog
12-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Shit, it looks like my tongue in cheek comment is real. I'd Boyd worth 6 years, I hope so. Looks like GWS are going to have to take this seriously. $1.5 next year is surely too much for them to deprive Boyd?

Someone said a draftee can't be traded in first two years

Maddog37
12-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Where are you getting this from BT?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Where are you getting this from BT?

The Internet. Unless someone's taking the piss out of me.

Maddog37
12-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Um ok, perhaps something a little more specific?

bornadog
12-10-2014, 07:44 PM

I copied your post and tweeted it and got alot of response.

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Someone said a draftee can't be traded in first two years

I stand to be corrected but I don't believe they can be delisted but they can be traded. The Pies wanted Aish from Brisbane so I think they can be traded.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:45 PM
I copied your post and tweeted it and got alot of response.

I checked Twitter, seems a few people have heard the rumour...

bornadog
12-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I stand to be corrected but I don't believe they can be delisted but they can be traded. The Pies wanted Aish from Brisbane so I think they can be traded.

That is what I thought, but some guy posted this:

Bob Boblarr ‏@BobBoblarr1 (https://twitter.com/BobBoblarr1) 8m (https://twitter.com/BobBoblarr1/status/521203024090243072)8 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BobBoblarr1/status/521203024090243072)
Tom Boyd was drafted in 2013, not 2012 can't be traded.
Same applies with J Aish.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Seems people are tweeting journos saying dogs have said Boyd only if Griffen wants out. Hopefully those journos can sort out whether it's rumour or fact? Twitter likes the idea though.

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 07:50 PM

He's normally spot on. I'll try and have a look

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 07:51 PM

I've not heard that, I thought you could trade with all party's consent?

Twitter.

1eyedog
12-10-2014, 08:19 PM
What Griff and 6 for Boyd? They'd have a piece of that

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
What Griff and 6 for Boyd? They'd have a piece of that

Too much from our side. Griffen & Minson for Boyd. We need to keep all our top picks now, remember the trading 10 years ago that cost us great kids.

1eyedog
12-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Too much from our side. Griffen & Minson for Boyd. We need to keep all our top picks now, remember the trading 10 years ago that cost us great kids.

Tis but it's guaranteed to get it over the line. We haven't heard from them but Boyd for all intents and purposes is untouchable so he needs to be into money or we need to offer something good. We can only play the Griffen card so far.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Tis but it's guaranteed to get it over the line. We haven't heard from them but Boyd for all intents and purposes is untouchable so he needs to be into money or we need to offer something good. We can only play the Griffen card so far.

I've been involved in many a tense legal negotiations. Golden rule is always look to who has the most to lose as an indicator of who is likely to blink first. If Gordon is true to his public statements to members, we're not trading, we accept a small risk. So GWS screwing Griffen and not trading would deny them their marque singing two years in a row, and may never get him. It would be footy suicide for them as a trading partner and would be another setback for them and the AFL. I see them holding more to lose, so if we play it right, the smart money on is on us. Problem is, we are not playing anything right at the moment.

1eyedog
12-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I've been involved in many a tense legal negotiations. Golden rule is always look to who has the most to lose as an indicator of who is likely to blink first. If Gordon is true to his public statements to members, we're not trading, we accept a small risk. So GWS screwing Griffen and not trading would deny them their marque singing two years in a row, and may never get him. It would be footy suicide for them as a trading partner and would be another setback for them and the AFL. I see them holding more to lose, so if we play it right, the smart money on is on us. Problem is, we are not playing anything right at the moment.

Mayhaps they picked Boyd for this very reason - as a bargaining chip for when an opportunity to have a crack at gun again presented itself. Well, they've got that opportunity now and have two very similar players on their list in Patton and Boyd. Trouble is the former only has one knee. Still, they are committed because they re-signed him. I would give my left proverbial for Boyd.

Webby
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
WhT??? I'm at The Plough after MANY... Did we trade for Boyd??

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Mayhaps they picked Boyd for this very reason - as a bargaining chip for when an opportunity to have a crack a gun again. Well, they've got that opportunity now and have two very similar players on their list in Patton and Boyd. Trouble is the former only has one knee. Still, they are committed because they re-signed him. I would give my left proverbial for Boyd.

Makes two. Twitter folks saying rules prohibit a first year player from leaving, ie must do two years. Don't know if that's right, if so, Jeremy Cameron is fine.

The conspiracy theory part of me thinks the rumours were GWS and WBFC made big offers mid season to Griffen and Patton. Eddie McG said our offer was done and dusted. If true, maybe we were each thinking if you take something of value we need to position ourselves to get something of value. Patton does his knee, we run away, they keep on Griff and we're looking silly.

I would gamble losing pick 30 or 40 in this years draft to pick up a Cameron or Boyd. I'd be sending a club rep down to Gillons office to tell them the AFL and GWS are going to look stupid because we are not playing ball. If they're not trading Cameron or Boyd better schmooze Sydney journos because they will destroy GWS again for recreation sake to pass the time away.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
WhT??? I'm at The Plough after MANY... Did we trade for Boyd??

No. Looks like we after him though. Tell everyone you know.

Webby
12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
No. Looks like we after him though. Tell everyone you know.

Boyd or McCartin..... That's the wise word from the Plough!

Mofra
12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Non-senior player draftees must be given a 2 year contract; they can be cut loose at the end of the first year but must be paid out their full contract.
Contracted players can be traded with their consent - to my knowledge age or draft status does not change contracted player tradeability.

chef
12-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Emma Quayle tweeting that first year players can be traded with their consent.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Emma Quayle tweeting that first year players can be traded with their consent.

Game on, I thought other journos were trying to buy time to get the scoop on the story. Will Gerard Healy call both our Boyds Brad. :)

azabob
12-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Game on, I thought other journos were trying to buy time to get the scoop on the story. Will Gerard Healy call both our Boyds Brad. :)

Now that is what you call a good problem.

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Non-senior player draftees must be given a 2 year contract; they can be cut loose at the end of the first year but must be paid out their full contract.
Contracted players can be traded with their consent - to my knowledge age or draft status does not change contracted player tradeability.

Thanks, that confirms it

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Follow trade radio producers, presenters etc. Saw this:

@TFoenander: @debate_worm Not convinced Boyd will be there long-term, but not sure this will be when he departs. Keen to see where negotiations start

hujsh
12-10-2014, 11:00 PM

Brad Boyd shanks the kick to Brad Boyd who picks it up beautifully one-handed and handballs over to Brad Boyd who slots the goal! Have to hand it to Brad Boyd there, his kick to Brad Boyd was poor but he kept pushing forward and thanks to a great Brad Boyd pickup Brad Boyd got the goal.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Brad Boyd shanks the kick to Brad Boyd who picks it up beautifully one-handed and handballs over to Brad Boyd who slots the goal! Have to hand it to Brad Boyd there, his kick to Brad Boyd was poor but he kept pushing forward and thanks to a great Brad Boyd pickup Brad Boyd got the goal.

I have to more than thank for that. Literally made me smile.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 11:10 PM
BT love this twitter I kicked off:

The Debate Worm @debate_worm · 4h 4 hours ago
Western Bulldogs launches full scale attack on GWS. Tom Boyd offered $5 million > 6 years for Griffen. $1.5 next year #gameon #bemorebulldog

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:14 PM
BT love this twitter I kicked off:

The Debate Worm @debate_worm · 4h 4 hours ago
Western Bulldogs launches full scale attack on GWS. Tom Boyd offered $5 million > 6 years for Griffen. $1.5 next year #gameon #bemorebulldog

Nice work there BAD. From my rudimentary viewing of Twitter I can see a few journos tweeted, or have been tweeted to deny the offer. No denials I can see. If only big footy knew, the tweeter universe would break down.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Nice work there BAD. From my rudimentary viewing of Twitter I can see a few journos tweeted, or have been tweeted to deny the offer. No denials I can see. If only big footy knew, the tweeter universe would break down.

There were a few responses, I can keep pushing if you like.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:18 PM
There were a few responses, I can keep pushing if you like.

Only if it's real. :)

bornadog
12-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Only if it's real. :)

Pretty sure it is, but just a rumour I heard somewhere.;)

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:29 PM

It's a bit like the source of all rude jokes, who knows where they come from.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:34 PM
I think Tom Boyd could be big enough to make a number iconic, he's currently 17. I think that might be free for him.

EasternWest
13-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I think Tom Boyd could be big enough to make a number iconic, he's currently 17. I think that might be free for him.

Give him 16 so that we can be inspired again by the number.

westdog54
13-10-2014, 11:14 AM

You shouldn't read too much into rumours. Wait till you hear the full story :D

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 11:16 AM
They will stop short of letting Boyd go unless he nominates us. It is not going to be them offering him up even as a last ditched effort to get Griffen across the line on Friday. We are going to have to offer him some serious coin and he's going to have to ask for a trade. Us getting Boyd is entirely up to Boyd and has nothing to do with GWS.

Doc26
13-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Just announced on TradeRadio. Massive News. Boyd has nominated that he wants to seek a trade to the Bulldogs. WowWee.

Giants stating that they will not trade Boyd under any circumstances.

It's heating up.

Twodogs
13-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Cool. Trade Radio hardly ever gets it wrong. :)

Mofra
13-10-2014, 12:08 PM
God I hope we get him.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Have our recruiting staff been reading Woof or was this play just so damn obvious? If nothing else has turned a few frowns upside down this morning:)

bornadog
13-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Have our recruiting staff been reading Woof or was this play just so damn obvious? If nothing else has turned a few frowns upside down this morning:)

I started a tweet campaign yesterday based on BT's post. I also sent a tweet to Tom saying big dollars on offer at Dogs:D

Just coincidence but hope it gets done.

The Doctor
13-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I love it.

Lets hit em where it hurts. I want us to play dirty with these dipsh!ts

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 01:05 PM
People thought I was having a lend. You heard it here first. :)

Greystache
13-10-2014, 01:32 PM
People thought I was having a lend. You heard it here first. :)

Good job BT, who else have you got on your radar?

In all seriousness, this deal hasn't been agreed to overnight, how long do you think we've been into Boyd?

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Good job BT, who else have you got on your radar?

In all seriousness, this deal hasn't been agreed to overnight, how long do you think we've been into Boyd?

Since Patton went down, I'm not sure anyone thought it probable to this point. We didn't want the opportunity for a massive fish at the cost of what's happened. But we've paid the cost, now for karma truck to deliver to the Whitten/Boyd Oval.

He's on all our marketing if it comes off, give him number 17. Do Cooneg for Schoenmakers, got the bookends....

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Can I share some kudos BT? My original post didn't even get a like:(

Regardless this is a great coup our club, it will have the members barking again, and will certainly spike the interest of prospective coaches as well!

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Regardless this is a great coup our club, it will have the members barking again, and will certainly spike the interest of prospective coaches as well!

Sure share in the love on what will now be known as 'Tom Boyd Day'. Happy Tom Boyd Day to all.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Cooney for Shoey?

I don't really rate the latter but he does have some talent, and for Cooney, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

KT31
13-10-2014, 01:54 PM

I gave you a 'like', credit where credit due and as its been a pretty rough few day's for us all and thought you'd appreciate the sentiment.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I gave you a 'like', credit where credit due and as its been a pretty rough few day's for us all and thought you'd appreciate the sentiment.

A true gentleman!

Remi Moses
13-10-2014, 02:27 PM
James Hirds media manager on SEN having a decent crack at us right now.
I agree the club deserves a kicking, but there always seems a few that give it a few extra kicks
Just an observation

bornadog
13-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I agree the club deserves a kicking, but there always seems a few that give it a few extra kicks
Just an observation

At least we aren't drug cheats

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Just an observation

Missed it, what did he say Remi?

Remi Moses
13-10-2014, 02:50 PM
The unmade bed Mark Robinson seems to have a view that Griffen can't go back ( we all agree with that)
Then after Boyd says he wants out, he reckons he can go back.
Would have thought neither could go back to be honest. There seems to be a few that add a bit of extra when sticking the boots in.

Murphy'sLore
13-10-2014, 02:52 PM
God, cannot stand Robinson. The problem is, he is so incoherent, it's difficult to decipher exactly what he thinks he's saying about anything.

Twodogs
13-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Robbo said we were a disgrace, we are no chance to get Boyd, spoke to GWS just before coming on air and that Boyd wanting to leave was like a bolt out of the blue for GWS-they had no idea, why would anyone want to come to us, actually he spent a fair bit of the time talking about Essendon for some reason until he got dragged back on topic, selfish leadership group, bagged Gordon for a bit.

Typical Robbo, used lots of words but didn't say anything important or enlightening.

Murphy'sLore
13-10-2014, 02:55 PM
He's also just suggested Minson would the ideal captain next year.

Just goes to show how well-informed and credible he is...

Remi Moses
13-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Robbo said we were a disgrace, we are no chance to get Boyd, spoke to GWS just before coming on air and that Boyd wanting to leave was like a bolt out of the blue for GWS-they had no idea, why would anyone want to come to us, actually he spent a fair bit of the time talking about Essendon for some reason until he got dragged back on topic, selfish leadership group, bagged Gordon for a bit.

Typical Robbo, used lots of words but didn't say anything important or enlightening.

Wants Will Minson as captain! Just Wow !
Must be still on the juice, but when is he not?
Stick to brown nosing AFL footballers, and writing fluffy, soft nonsense

Maddog37
13-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Robbo is stupid at best but IMHO is falling more and more in love with the sound of his own voice. He seems to think his opinion is worth more than anyone else's because he is on TV now.

Obnoxious.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Robbo is stupid at best but IMHO is falling more and more in love with the sound of his own voice. He seems to think his opinion is worth more than anyone else's because he is on TV now.

Obnoxious.

And fat.......don't forget he's really fat!

jeemak
13-10-2014, 03:15 PM
So Chuggsy Uggsy calls up GWS just prior to going on air and expects them to tell him the truth?

Or knowing full well Chuggsy Uggsy is going to spill his considerable guts might it be more likely GWS sticks to the company line and plays it hard?

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 03:20 PM
https://twitter.com/SusanAlberti1/status/521483117421268993
After tough few days for WB and supporters it looks like Tom Boyd from GWS will be joining the WB. Great news for our loyal supporters

— Susan Alberti on Twitter

josie
13-10-2014, 10:28 PM

Obnoxious.

I agree with you. He is my most hated football journo - in fact it is flattery to call him a journo. I put this in another thread but I heard the start of his ravings today and for the first time ever I became so incensed that I sms'd a radio station (SEN) and told them he is was "an empty headed EFC biased dullard".

ratsmac
13-10-2014, 11:10 PM
I noticed a lot of negative talk on SEN regarding us that we are a chance to get Boyd. Even though he himself has asked to be traded to us. Oh the nerve that the most prized young talent would want to come to the dogs. it makes me sick. I heard Huddo and I think it was Scott Lucas almost mocking us for even suggesting that this trade will go through. They were really getting stuck into Peter Gordon for trying to talk up our club too. God forbid he could try promote the bulldogs after the crap that has happened in the last week. Disgraceful.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2014, 11:27 PM
.. And yet if it was Hawthorn or Geelong, everybody would be patting them on the back because they're such perfect football clubs.

comrade
13-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Yep, it's like the footballing community is offended that an irrelevant, minnow club like the Dogs could ever make a play like this.

Throughout the year they've been happy to talk us up as having a good core of young players because, let's be honest, they don't see us as a threat without a big key forward gun. Now we have a shot at securing that gun, the knives come out to cut the potential tall poppy growing out in the west.

Well, *!*!*!*! you haters.

comrade
13-10-2014, 11:53 PM
.. And yet if it was Hawthorn or Geelong, everybody would be patting them on the back because they're such perfect football clubs.

Hawthorn just poached their number 2 pick for jack shit and no one says boo.

We're handing over our captain (and most likely a top 10 pick) and we're criticised for our temerity.

Get stuffed.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Hawthorn just poached their number 2 pick for jack shit and no one says boo.

We're handing over our captain (and most likely a top 10 pick) and we're criticised for our temerity.

Get stuffed.

As annoying as it is, I'd rather be hated than everybody's second favourite club. It means we've ruffled some feathers, pissed people off, and have become a threat.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 12:07 AM
As annoying as it is, I'd rather be hated than everybody's second favourite club. It means we've ruffled some feathers, pissed people off, and have become a threat.

I loved being hated. We're only everyone's second when we're pitied. Nothing worse than pity.

comrade
14-10-2014, 12:19 AM

True. It's the equivalent of getting your hair ruffled and told to leave the room to let the adults talk.

Remi Moses
14-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I noticed a lot of negative talk on SEN regarding us that we are a chance to get Boyd. Even though he himself has asked to be traded to us. Oh the nerve that the most prized young talent would want to come to the dogs. it makes me sick. I heard Huddo and I think it was Scott Lucas almost mocking us for even suggesting that this trade will go through. They were really getting stuck into Peter Gordon for trying to talk up our club too. God forbid he could try promote the bulldogs after the crap that has happened in the last week. Disgraceful.

Personally I like to see presidents and boards stay out of list management issues.
Funny how everyone thought it was funny how David Koch announced Adelaides new coach on his TV program.

1eyedog
14-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Welcome to Day 2 of one day closer to getting Tom Boyd everybody.

LostDoggy
14-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I loved being hated. We're only everyone's second when we're pitied. Nothing worse than pity.

I just had a marketing idea that we should have been exploiting since Jesus was a child. The Second Favorite Team membership aimed at opposition supporters. It could have been for as little as $5 per season. They'd would have had the right for one abusive telegram/letter/phone call/email directed towards the club/per membership/per season.

How many members in all the other clubs over the period of our 'second favorite team' existence? We would have been debt free. Alas.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Liam Pickering making strong overtures to GWS to get it done this year. If not, Boys is a strong willed young kid and will be at the dogs next years trade.

Twodogs
14-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Liam Pickering making strong overtures to GWS to get it done this year. If not, Boys is a strong willed young kid and will be at the dogs next years trade.

Knows Bont, Jackson and Stringer pretty well and likes the young players on our list. Wants to live in Melbourne. Kind of almost said he rates our younger players and wants to play with them. Said something like he'd done lots of research on all the lists and liked where they were at.

LostDoggy
14-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Its alomost better if he comes next year, we push them hard for 4 and 7, or 4 plus good solid player. We potentially then have 4, 6 & 7 to add quality and list appeal for us next year. He'll be playing with Wright, Lever, Laverde plus exising stars etc We will be recognised as best young tallented list within Melbourne.

Daughter of the West
15-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Mission complete!

anfo27
15-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Thread can be closed now. Didn't think it would happen.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Mission complete!

They should seriously run with that marketing line. Mission have put up with a bit and have stuck fat.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Get his photo in all marketing now!!!!!!

Greystache
15-10-2014, 05:55 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01112/mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 05:59 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/22/2294cec4d3ad25dc38a54235d6083681dddd68dc6edc1478f14bd5304db9 5acd.jpg

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Looking forward to your 2015 version of operation get..

ledge
15-10-2014, 07:10 PM
We haven't finished its operation get a coach now .. Guessing a few will be lining up with the list we have now.

Twodogs
15-10-2014, 07:26 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01112/mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

Someone has to photoshop the Whitten oval into that background stat.

DOG GOD
15-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Great result. Never thought it would happen, but VERY happy.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Mission need to bring out an "Accomplished" range

hujsh
15-10-2014, 07:49 PM
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/12/Victory%20jingles/gtasa--article_image.jpg

vmnvkmgv

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Someone has to photoshop the Whitten oval into that background stat.

Don't put the mozz on Boydy like that.

How did that moment in history work out for Goerge Dubbya?

comrade
15-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Can we officially rename this thread:

OPERATION GOT TOM BOYD

comrade
15-10-2014, 11:32 PM
On another note, reading through Twitter and other forums, it seems opposition fans are in shock that we've made such a ballsy move and they don't like it. They're used to the poor old Dogs, second favourite team, good kids no forward yada yada yada.

Now we've extracted the digit and gone for it, their perception of us has been shattered and they're resistant to change.

I like it.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 11:47 PM
On another note, reading through Twitter and other forums, it seems opposition fans are in shock that we've made such a ballsy move and they don't like it. They're used to the poor old Dogs, second favourite team, good kids no forward yada yada yada.

Now we've extracted the digit and gone for it, their perception of us has been shattered and they're resistant to change.

I like it.

Same reaction from all these journalists who have been saying that "The Dogs need to just go and buy a key forward - whatever it takes".

We do it, they sit up and take notice, and don't like it.

It means they feel threatened - we're not the poor little defenseless brother anymore.

comrade
16-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Same reaction from all these journalists who have been saying that "The Dogs need to just go and buy a key forward - whatever it takes".

We do it, they sit up and take notice, and don't like it.

It means they feel threatened - we're not the poor little defenseless brother anymore.

Yep, they can't just phone in a 'Bulldogs lack key forward' story now.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Yep, they can't just phone in a 'Bulldogs lack key forward' story now.

nah, they will start talking about lack of height in defence.

Daughter of the West
16-10-2014, 10:42 AM

I like it.

I had a Carltank colleague wandering around the office late yesterday declaring, "The dogs are irrelevant, so they've decided to tried to make themselves relevant by making this trade. For seven years! Seven years! Why would you spend a million a year on a kid that's played 9 games for seven years, it's madness!"

Meanwhile, if Carltank had done such a thing, he'd be lauding it as the greatest trade in history... :rolleyes:

Sedat
16-10-2014, 10:45 AM
I had a Carltank colleague wandering around the office late yesterday declaring, "The dogs are irrelevant, so they've decided to tried to make themselves relevant by making this trade. For seven years! Seven years! Why would you spend a million a year on a kid that's played 9 games for seven years, it's madness!"
At least they have Jaksch and some bloke called Robert Wiley or something - only cost them pick 7 too :D

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 10:52 AM
The media is really going hard at this deal and it's primarily the focus on how much we are paying him. Fair point I suppose but we never went hard at getting the likes of Martin, Hogan and O'Meara but with Griffen wanting to leave we had to push hard for the deal now.

To get one of the players above we would have had to part with a good player and an early pick anyway.

Ozza
16-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Amazing to think that this thread started in June 2013....67 pages later...and Tom Boyd is a Western Bulldogs player.

Commitment to the cause, folks!

Rocket Science
16-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Has the meeja bothered to expand upon what Boyd will mean for the club's off-field fortunes as much on-field?

If he delivers on his enormous potential with the budding young team around him we're looking at a player who'll attract members, sponsors, widespread positive attention, individual and club recognition, potential new recruits and the snowballing effect of all those combined. He's a potential 'Buddy' type figure without the scandalous sideshow.

'Unproven kid bolts for big bucks' is such lazy, lard-arsed journalism.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Has the meeja bothered to expand upon what Boyd will mean for the club's off-field fortunes as much on-field?

If he delivers on his enormous potential with the budding young team around him we're looking at a player who'll attract members, sponsors, widespread positive attention, individual and club recognition, potential new recruits and the snowballing effect of all those combined. He's a potential 'Buddy' type figure without the scandalous sideshow.

'Unproven kid bolts for big bucks' is such lazy, lard-arsed journalism.

The media never bothers to do anything beyond sensationalism. I get most of my news via WOOF, as I can't stand to read 95% of 'journalists'. The entire industry is just a mis-managed PR front for the AFL.

Twodogs
16-10-2014, 04:07 PM
The media never bothers to do anything beyond sensationalism. I get most of my news via WOOF, as I can't stand to read 95% of 'journalists'. The entire industry is just a mis-managed PR front for the AFL.

Funnily enough so do most journos. :D

Greystache
16-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Funnily enough so do most journos. :D

Listening to Barrett's speech on trade radio yesterday about why GWS couldn't afford not to get the deal done for Griffen, it was almost word for word what I wrote this time last week :rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Listening to Barrett's speech on trade radio yesterday about why GWS couldn't afford not to get the deal done for Griffen, it was almost word for word what I wrote this time last week :rolleyes:

I actually thought the same when listening to him.

Funny thing is, Barrett's tone on the matter was completely diferent days earlier, when he kept insisting we "had" to trade Griffen and that GWS "shouldn't" trade Boyd. Flog.

My bet is he caught wind of the trade going through, and tried to quickly save face with a spiel about GWS needing to get a trade done.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I actually thought the same when listening to him.

Funny thing is, Barrett's tone on the matter was completely diferent days earlier, when he kept insisting we "had" to trade Griffen and that GWS "shouldn't" trade Boyd. Flog.

My bet is he caught wind of the trade going through, and tried to quickly save face with a spiel about GWS needing to get a trade done.

He and Wallet were discussing the trade and how it had no chance when the news came through it was a done deal. I think he couldn't believe it. He got a barrage of tweets about him being a flog and soon changed his tune.

The bulldog tragician
16-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Did anyone see this? Very funny...
http://instagram.com/p/uL_wONNFf_/