PDA

View Full Version : Doug Hawkins in parliament?

ledge
11-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Just saw a news item doug Hawkins is looking for a seat in the senate under Clive Palmer,
I love Doug but seriously?

Remi Moses
11-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Good Lord ....
Love Doug as a footballer, but really?

ratsmac
11-06-2013, 06:19 PM
It should be called the mumbles party

bornadog
11-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Senate seat :eek:

Eastdog
11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Here is the story courtesy of the Hearld Sun

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/doug-hawkins-to-run-for-senate-on-clive-palmer8217s-ticket/story-fni0fiyv-1226661685221

chef
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Lol.

The Underdog
11-06-2013, 06:35 PM
A magician on the field, not so much off (although a lovely bloke)

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
There must be some incentive dollars involved I think from the "billionaire businessman!"

I wonder if it will last longer than Brownless and Meninga's careers?

bulldogtragic
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
There must be some incentive dollars involved I think from the "billionaire businessman!"

I wonder if it will last longer than Brownless and Meninga's careers?
Will it explode like Maninga? God that was funny. :) :) :) :) :)

Bulldog4life
11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Love his first little speech. Said that they would stick it up 'em like EJ said......Poor Doug.:o

F'scary
11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
If elected, what will he do for the Western Bulldogs?

comrade
11-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Will it explode like Maninga? God that was funny. :) :) :) :) :)

I'm buggered.

:D

LostDoggy
11-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Got my vote.

azabob
11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I hope they don't get their "salute" wrong.

azabob
11-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Got my vote.

Because if Dougie's on board it must be good? :confused:

F'scary
11-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I hope they don't get their "salute" wrong.

Das ist ja toll.

:):):):):):):):)

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Its just a lot of namure, aks Doug.

always right
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
He's a bloke who has struggled since his footy finished....needing to find a way to make ends meet. Sad that he's become a figure of some derision as evidenced on this board. Imagine if Doug hadn't been a great footballer.

Cyberdoggie
12-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Doug is a top bloke and we all love him, but everyone knows he's not a rocket scientist, so I really don't see how he thinks he can contribute in politics, especially when the game as all about quick whit and having the gift of the gab. Not strong points of Doug's.

It's disappointing seeing him do this if it's just for money.

F'scary
12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Is it a condition for being selected as a Clive Palmer candidate that you appear to have an acquired brain injury?

anfo27
12-06-2013, 06:53 PM
How about we give the guy a fair go!

Doug isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but if he wants to give it a crack then who are we to be poking fun at him for it.

When i heard the news all i could think of was the people who were going to make fun of the hawk. Since his court jester days on the footy show nobody takes Dougie seriously in anything & being a great of our club that doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not saying he'll get my vote but I wish the hawk all the best. It takes a lot of courage to do what Doug is doing knowing he is going to be copping shit from all angles & really could he do a worse job then some of those wankers are doing at the moment?

AndrewP6
12-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Doug isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but if he wants to give it a crack then who are we to be poking fun at him for it.

When i heard the news all i could think of was the people who were going to make fun of the hawk. Since his court jester days on the footy show nobody takes Dougie seriously in anything & being a great of our club that doesn't sit well with me.

The bold bits are the problem. I wish him the best too, I just wish he could find something to do that he's suited to.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2013, 07:13 PM
The bold bits are the problem. I wish him the best too, I just wish he could find something to do that he's suited to.
Why is it a 'problem'?

Remi Moses
12-06-2013, 07:22 PM

I'm not saying he'll get my vote but I wish the hawk all the best. It takes a lot of courage to do what Doug is doing knowing he is going to be copping shit from all angles & really could he do a worse job then some of those wankers are doing at the moment?

Not so much Doug, but joining that crackpot Palmer's party.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe Doug can get a maitre'd gig on Titanic 2.

AndrewP6
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Why is it a 'problem'?

Because he's talking about going into a job where a massive part is to be in the public eye. The ability to speak/spin is huge. So too is the public dissection of your every word and move. The fact Doug's no Einstein will work heavily against him, and he'll be open to even more derision than he already is. That isn't good for a guy who is a Bulldog legend.

F'scary
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM

I am in agreement with you on this one.

F'scary
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Mal Brough's menu writer should be Palmer's next recruitment target.

FrediKanoute
12-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Doug is a top bloke and we all love him, but everyone knows he's not a rocket scientist, so I really don't see how he thinks he can contribute in politics, especially when the game as all about quick whit and having the gift of the gab. Not strong points of Doug's.

Look this will probably amount to nothing, but its a really sad state of affairs when we "Joe Public" deride an ordinary bloke from wanting to stand for the senate. Since when do the educated, and the privileged have a mortgage on politics? Parliament could do with ordinary, blue collar Australian's becoming involved. Maybe ground policy somewhat so that the impact decisions made through lobbying by the social and commercial elite, actually take into account the ordinary bloke.

If Doug is serious about representing his constituency, not playing the party game, and looking to do some public service good then great. Most of our Politicians are in it for self enrichment anyway.

Remi Moses
13-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Mal Brough's menu writer should be Palmer's next recruitment target.

Regardless of people's politics .
That was very ordinary

Before I Die
13-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Look this will probably amount to nothing, but its a really sad state of affairs when we "Joe Public" deride an ordinary bloke from wanting to stand for the senate. Since when do the educated, and the privileged have a mortgage on politics? Parliament could do with ordinary, blue collar Australian's becoming involved. Maybe ground policy somewhat so that the impact decisions made through lobbying by the social and commercial elite, actually take into account the ordinary bloke.

If Doug is serious about representing his constituency, not playing the party game, and looking to do some public service good then great. Most of our Politicians are in it for self enrichment anyway.

Derision and politics go together like footy and bruises. If Doug wants to stand for the senate, good on him, but public office begs public scrutiny. Doug is a legend of the club and a hero of the western suburbs, but that doesn't preclude him from being criticised as a political candidate. Anybody who puts their hand up to stand for the Clive Palmer Party or the Bob Katter Party deserves anything and everything they get (of course their is a line even for them) as far as I am concerned.

First and final political post from me :)

Twodogs
13-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Politics is more abut doing what you are told by the party seniors. Very few politicians speak in public.

Anyway Palmer's party is more about getting publicity for Clive than acheving political change or even winning seats. Good luck to the hawk and everything but Palmer isnt going to win any Senate seats in Victoria.

gohardorgohome
13-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm wonder if Doug would do a better job than any other high profile Bulldogs supporter in politics???
I think he may have better elocution..

LostDoggy
13-06-2013, 10:42 AM
It's his democratic right to stand for the Senate. We may not believe he'll do a good job — that's our democratic right to decide that with our vote — but as some other posters have said, he deserves the chance to stand for election. It's a right hard-fought for, and paid for with millions of lives over hundreds of years.

Doug Hawkins is far more intelligent than Cory Bernardi.

Pembleton
13-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Some sentiment here seems to imply that someone has questioned Doug's right to stand for election, but i don't think anyone has done that, have they?

I also don't think anyone would question my right to be appropriately critical of a senate candidate. And I happen to think Doug deserves criticism for this. He isn't some average joe working class bloke who has decided to put his hand up and get engaged in the political process to give a voice to others like him. That is something that i would applaud and encourage. But to me, Doug just appears to be an attention starved ex footballer and media personality who is letting himself be used as a publicity grabbing pawn by a billionaire whose politics seem about as far from representative of the interests of Doug's working class roots as is possible. I hope Doug proves me wrong.

F'scary
13-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Regardless of people's politics .
That was very ordinary

How?

Eastdog
13-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Agree with your last few words there anfo27 as most people in Australia do. It is time for change. Will be interesting to see how many votes both Doug Hawkins and Barry Michael get at the federal election.

jeemak
13-06-2013, 05:23 PM
How?

I'm thinking the commentary on Brough's menus, rather than what you've posted.

Remi Moses
13-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Yep^^

Remi Moses
13-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Some sentiment here seems to imply that someone has questioned Doug's right to stand for election, but i don't think anyone has done that, have they?

I also don't think anyone would question my right to be appropriately critical of a senate candidate. And I happen to think Doug deserves criticism for this. He isn't some average joe working class bloke who has decided to put his hand up and get engaged in the political process to give a voice to others like him. That is something that i would applaud and encourage. But to me, Doug just appears to be an attention starved ex footballer and media personality who is letting himself be used as a publicity grabbing pawn by a billionaire whose politics seem about as far from representative of the interests of Doug's working class roots as is possible. I hope Doug proves me wrong.

Agree, Doug lamented how he wasn't taken seriously because of his antics on the Footy Show.
This doesn't help his cause

The Underdog
13-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Doug Hawkins is far more intelligent than Cory Bernardi.

Yeah but who isn't. That man is a flat out cretin.

Maddog37
13-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I hope Doug and his family come out the other end of this ok.

F'scary
13-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Hi Jeemak

Now I understand. That was a bit of Borat moment for the Silver Gumby back there.

Remi Moses
14-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Good to see shock jocks once again showing their lack of any form of class.
Shameful and distasteful

anfo27
14-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Good to see shock jocks once again showing their lack of any form of class.
Shameful and distasteful

Heard that interview on the radio this morning. Whoever that guy was should get the sack, disgraceful!

bulldogtragic
14-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Heard that interview on the radio this morning. Whoever that guy was should get the sack, disgraceful!
Got the sack this avo. What a tool. Think whatever you like about Gillard, but the office of Prime Minister deserves respect. Not negotiable.

anfo27
14-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Got the sack this avo. What a tool. Think whatever you like about Gillard, but the office of Prime Minister deserves respect. Not negotiable.

Great to hear. Can't believe this clown thought that line of questioning was appropriate for anyone let alone the Prime Minister. Would have loved to have seen julie get up & give him a slap, might of won some votes with a slap.

always right
14-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I didn't even know Howard Sattler was still alive.

LostDoggy
15-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah but who isn't. That man is a flat out cretin.

He's also an elected member of the Senate. :eek:

Eastdog
15-06-2013, 11:58 AM

His views on the social issues are far too conservative for mine but that's just me. His entitled to his views and I'm entitled to agree or disagree.

Twodogs
15-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Mal Colston
Albert Patrick Field

You dont have to be Einstein to be elected or appointed to the senate-you just need to get your name on a winnable place on your party's ticket. It's not really a house of review. It's more a place where party hacks and flunkies go to get their 'reward'.

Ever since the Meg Lees let the Democrats roll over on the GST the senate has been superflous to the needs of Australian democracy.

Eastdog
15-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Mal Colston
Albert Patrick Field

You dont have to be Einstein to be elected or appointed to the senate-you just need to get your name on a winnable place on your party's ticket. It's not really a house of review. It's more a place where party hacks and flunkies go to get their 'reward'.

Ever since the Meg Lees let the Democrats roll over on the GST the senate has been superflous to the needs of Australian democracy.

It is a real shame the senate has became like that and is not representative of the Australian people anymore. I think I've come to expect that now.

F'scary
15-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Just to note that my avenging of our Number 1 Ticket Holder in the form of an original joke "The McDonalds Tony Abbott Hotdog Promotion" was deleted by the mods on the basis that WOOF is not a political forum and they discourage political posts.

What is this thread then?

Eastdog
15-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Just to note that my avenging of our Number 1 Ticket Holder in the form of an original joke "The McDonalds Tony Abbott Hotdog Promotion" was deleted by the mods on the basis that WOOF is not a political forum and they discourage political posts.

Yeah fair point F'scary maybe you could PM the mods of the forum and ask if we could have a general discussion/politics related thread.

bornadog
15-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah fair point F'scary maybe you could PM the mods of the forum and ask if we could have a general discussion/politics related thread.

Why?

F'scary
15-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks, but I don't know. Maybe there is some distinction to be made between a former champion player running for parliament and the topic du jour concerning our Number 1 Ticket Holder who is the PM. Hang on - that's referred to in this thread too!:confused:

Eastdog
15-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Why?

So these kind of discussions with stuff that is not really related to footy can be discussed and not put on the Bulldogs board. It will solve this problem.

F'scary
15-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Why?

It seems that many WOOFers not only like their footy but they are also into Australian politics although they generally moderate their discussion to things that touch on the Western Bulldogs. Like a former player entering politics. Like the fact that our Number 1 Ticket Holder is the PM.

Maybe a forum called the "Bob Murphy* Soapbox" could provided?

*he's into political theory and history too!

Greystache
15-06-2013, 02:58 PM

This is not a political forum and both of you have been advised of that previously, if you want to discuss politics you can do it elsewhere. This thread is completely off track now and I have closed it.

Any further pushing of political discussion will result in an infraction being issued.