PDA

View Full Version : Neeld Sacked

Mofra
17-06-2013, 11:07 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-finally-sack-neeld-20130617-2ocws.html

Melbourne has sacked coach Mark Neeld just half-way through his three-year contract.

The Demons have called a 10.30am press conference to confirm the long-expected dismissal of the 41-year-old from the club, which ranks only above win-less GWS on the AFL ladder.

The club’s website has reported that former Adelaide coach Neil Craig, its director of sports performance, will be its interim coach for the rest of the season.

The move comes after the beleaguered club had its bye at the weekend and just three days after president Don McLardy resigned following the preliminary request to the AFL Commission for significant financial assistance in its overhaul.

Advertisement It is also a fortnight after he made made a presentation at a board meeting at which he was expected to be sacked but was not, although the board confirmed only that it would ‘‘make no further comment at this time in relation to the senior coach position’’.

Of the 33 matches Neeld coached the Demons, since his appointment at the end of 2011, they won only five matches.

Neeld’s departure has mean there has been a complete overhaul of the Demons’ leadership triumvirate since the start of the season. In addition to McLardy’s resignation chief executive Cameron Schwab was, like Neeld, sacked despite being under contract.

It has been speculated the early dismissal of Neeld, who succeeded Dean Bailey as coach of the Demons, could cost the club about $600,000 to pay out his contract.

And to think we were being compared to Melbourne just a month ago...

Go_Dogs
17-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Really feel for the guy, he was always facing an uphill battle.

Should we be showing some interest in acquiring his services as an assistant?

DOG GOD
17-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Let's be honest, he didn't have a hell of a lot to work with player wise. Melbourne probably have the worst list in the AFL...not really thru his fault. Feel for the guy.

Ozza
17-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I’m not a fan of sacking coaches during the season.
Sure – the side will probably show a bit at times between now and the end of the year –it usually happens with a new/temporary coach. But you end up just being a bit of a directionless rabble and wasting 11 games.
Unless the players were very unhappy – I don’t think there is a great deal of virtue in sacking a bloke half way through a year and having to pay him out for 1.5 years.

The Pie Man
17-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I’m not a fan of sacking coaches during the season.
Sure – the side will probably show a bit at times between now and the end of the year –it usually happens with a new/temporary coach. But you end up just being a bit of a directionless rabble and wasting 11 games.
Unless the players were very unhappy – I don’t think there is a great deal of virtue in sacking a bloke half way through a year and having to pay him out for 1.5 years.

Unless the fans are staying away because of their ongoing struggle under the current coach and the AFL provides the funds with which to pay said former coach out.

mighty_west
17-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Some diabolical trading wouldn't have helped him, shades of Vossy at Brissy and Pagan at the Blues, he couldn't have continually dished up those horrific performances and not lost his job.

Scraggers
17-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Really feel for the guy, he was always facing an uphill battle.

Should we be showing some interest in acquiring his services as an assistant?

I think so ... as an assistant at Collingwood, his services were highly acclaimed and he was sought after by quite a few clubs.

comrade
17-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Paid out by AFL money, no doubt. They'll probably pay for Roos to take over, too.

And give them priority picks while we have to take our medicine.

The whole thing STINKS!

hotdog
17-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Personally I hope we do not go near him. Whilst he may have had a dud list to work with his temparament and body language as a coach was plain awful. He managed to lose the playing group along the way and his message fell on deaf ears. Again worring signs for a rookie coach. Seems like chalk and cheese when comparing styles with BMac. I doubt he would fit the whole teaching/ educating mantra that seems to be the direction at Whitten Oval so I doubt BMac and co. would even consider him Happy to see him go somewhere else. Am sure he could fill an assistant role for the remainder of his coaching life. Am glad Melbourne pulled the trigger before we had the chance to appoint. Could be a bullet dodged IMO.

AndrewP6
17-06-2013, 12:23 PM
. I doubt he would fit the whole teaching/ educating mantra that seems to be the direction at Whitten Oval so I doubt BMac and co. would even consider him

I don't get this. He's a former teacher, so on the teaching/education thing, he'd be well suited. As to whether he'd be any good at it, we'll, that's up for debate. My concern would be having even more inexperience in the box.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Paid out by AFL money, no doubt. They'll probably pay for Roos to take over, too.

And give them priority picks while we have to take our medicine.

The whole thing STINKS!

Agreed - definitely not a level playing field.

Hot_Doggies
17-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Worsfold will coach Melbourne next year.

Scott Burns will takeover at the Weagles.

Murphy'sLore
17-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Poor Neeld sounded almost relieved at the presser today. He must have been living with this over his head for quite a while.

Remi Moses
17-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Nobody would be shocked by this.

Remi Moses
17-06-2013, 02:42 PM

That's if woosha can drag himself away from his distance running.

Ghost Dog
17-06-2013, 02:44 PM
They play crap footy and we are all tired of it. Get on with it Melbourne. You're a waste of a game per week.

Murphy'sLore
17-06-2013, 02:45 PM
They play crap footy and we are all tired of it. Get on with it Melbourne. You're a waste of a game per week.

Not until after we play them again, please. :)

anfo27
17-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Been dead man walking for most of this year. I don't buy into the 'he hasn't got the cattle' line. He lost the senior players from day 1 & hasn't been able to get them back, so i don't feel sorry for him because it was his doing.
I would imagine we might see some improvement now. I'm not saying they have a great list but what they have served up shows clearly the players do not want to play for him.

chef
17-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Happy it didn't happen the week prior to us playing them. It should be their recruiter getting the sack.

anfo27
17-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Happy it didn't happen the week prior to us playing them. It should be their recruiter getting the sack.

Why? they picked up kids that other teams would of taken. These kids have ability but they can't seem to develop them.

chef
17-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Why? they picked up kids that other teams would of taken. These kids have ability but they can't seem to develop them.

They've wasted a hell of a lot of early picks IMO.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Hogan and Viney will be good for them, but yeah, they have not had a good track record.

anfo27
17-06-2013, 05:48 PM

If you can't develop talent it doesn't matter how good the kids are coming in. I think they have wasted some to but they have some good ones as well & they haven't developed as well as they should have.

Doc26
17-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Personally I hope we do not go near him. Whilst he may have had a dud list to work with his temparament and body language as a coach was plain awful. He managed to lose the playing group along the way and his message fell on deaf ears. Again worring signs for a rookie coach. Seems like chalk and cheese when comparing styles with BMac. I doubt he would fit the whole teaching/ educating mantra that seems to be the direction at Whitten Oval so I doubt BMac and co. would even consider him Happy to see him go somewhere else. Am sure he could fill an assistant role for the remainder of his coaching life. Am glad Melbourne pulled the trigger before we had the chance to appoint. Could be a bullet dodged IMO.

My sentiments as well. Heard enough, from very early on, from a credible source within the inner sanctum at Melbourne to suggest back then that it would end as it has. I do hope we stay well clear.

OLD SCRAGGer
17-06-2013, 06:36 PM
I can't believe that when Rocket was told bye -bye it was Neeld I wanted as coach.. :eek::eek:, thank god I wasn't on panel to pick coach :rolleyes:

Dry Rot
17-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Some diabolical trading wouldn't have helped him, shades of Vossy at Brissy and Pagan at the Blues, he couldn't have continually dished up those horrific performances and not lost his job.

To be fair the trading was done IIRC in anticipation of otherwise losing draft picks from their tanking.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Caroline and Dwayne have said tonight Choco Williams is the early favourite....

He may well be, but the body is not yet cold and the off season is a while away.

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 09:29 PM

I think the Dees would be very happy with that.

To me Neeld is a good guy at the wrong club.
I wonder if he will land at the Blues with Malthouse next season.

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 09:38 PM
How poor was Brent Moloneys "Karma is a Bitch' tweet?

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 09:51 PM
If he were at the dogs, I'd expect the WBFC to rocket him. Poor form.

Remi Moses
17-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Childish from him . Gee the brain leaves the head sometimes in this age of social media.

Dry Rot
18-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Eade tosses his hat into the ring

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-17/eade-open-to-demons-talks

Remi Moses
18-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I think it will be a senior coach.

AndrewP6
18-06-2013, 01:04 AM

Pathetic really.

AndrewP6
18-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I said to someone earlier, I hope Rocket gets the gig.

Dry Rot
18-06-2013, 01:32 AM
I think it will be a senior coach.

So Eade or Williams? Or Craig, or is he tainted by being there?

Re Williams, his presence at the Tigers hasn't hurt them this season.

G-Mo77
18-06-2013, 02:04 AM
I can't believe that when Rocket was told bye -bye it was Neeld I wanted as coach.. :eek::eek:, thank god I wasn't on panel to pick coach :rolleyes:

It could be worse, you could be Garry Lyon.

Remi Moses
18-06-2013, 05:08 AM
So Eade or Williams? Or Craig, or is he tainted by being there?

Re Williams, his presence at the Tigers hasn't hurt them this season.

I'd go with Choco.

soupman
18-06-2013, 08:25 AM
To me Neeld is a good guy at the wrong club.
I wonder if he will land at the Blues with Malthouse next season.

Its a real swinging doors sort of thing. Im of the belief that Melbourne were so bad that pretty much any first time coach would fail there and many experienced ones, and thus Neeld didnt stand a chance.

Imagine if Neeld had gone to Adelaide he could be a highly touted coach of a side thats played finals while someone like Sanderson could be the failed coach who will never be a senior coach at the top level again, all basically down to luck.

westdog54
18-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Garry Lyon described it best. Classless. I think he needs a reminder that a week is a long time in footy.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Eade tosses his hat into the ring

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-17/eade-open-to-demons-talks

For Eade to accept the role at Melbourne everything would have to be right for him.

Happy Days
18-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Garry Lyon described it best. Classless. I think he needs a reminder that a week is a long time in footy.

More embarrassing: the post itself of the Instagram name "beamnation3"?

Maddog37
18-06-2013, 03:04 PM
His karma tweet just showed all the reasons why Neeld wanted him gone and vindicated the decision.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2013, 03:26 PM

What a tattooed spud. Cannot stand this guy. Anyone remember this?

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/11/17/3804101/aw-Fidel-Tukel-with-Demons-620x349.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/04/11/2300675/art_svS_BRENT-420x0.jpg

westdog54
18-06-2013, 06:58 PM
His karma tweet just showed all the reasons why Neeld wanted him gone and vindicated the decision.

Well said. Very good player but glaringly obvious attitude issues there.

anfo27
18-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Its a real swinging doors sort of thing. Im of the belief that Melbourne were so bad that pretty much any first time coach would fail there and many experienced ones, and thus Neeld didnt stand a chance.

Imagine if Neeld had gone to Adelaide he could be a highly touted coach of a side thats played finals while someone like Sanderson could be the failed coach who will never be a senior coach at the top level again, all basically down to luck.

Not sure what luck has to do with it when you name a kid who has played 30 games as your captain.
I saw Neeld on footy classified last night & the man is seriously delusional.

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 08:23 PM
What I have been thinking about, a key reason that Dawes chose Melb is because of the Neeld factor, did we dodge a bullet? What would be in his head ATM?..... Should have gone to the dogs :)

Mofra
18-06-2013, 10:03 PM
What I have been thinking about, a key reason that Dawes chose Melb is because of the Neeld factor, did we dodge a bullet? What would be in his head ATM?..... Should have gone to the dogs :)
Clark, Dawes, Hogan - I almost hope Melbourne take Boyd and we can poach one of their talls.

SlimPickens
18-06-2013, 11:16 PM

We may have dodged a bullet but geez we are screaming out for a player with Dawes work rate across half forward.

Topdog
18-06-2013, 11:58 PM

And Neeld's decision to drop a best and fairest winner and have the club lose him for nothing vindicated the boards decision to sack Neeld.

He may be a child but most football players will say something stupid given the time and opportunity esp. with twitter around. Really comments like this make me question if you agree with Libba still being at the club.

Remi Moses
19-06-2013, 12:59 AM

I reckon the price was to high for Dawes.
Particularly with his output since 2010.