PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon calls for abolition of priority draft picks

bornadog
17-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Link (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=40ca283ade7e55388a1bbb1a6f57b0e0&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigfooty.com%2Fforum%2Fthreads%2Fwester n-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-calls-for-abolition-of-priority-draft-picks.1013104%2F&v=1&libId=d635a316-0c4d-4886-bd3e-7e3b85e0a0c6&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fwester n-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-calls-for-abolition-of-priority-draft-picks%2Fstory-fni5fazt-1226664707333&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigfooty.com%2Fforum%2Fforums%2Fwestern-bulldogs.20%2F&title=News%20-%20Western%20Bulldogs%20president%20Peter%20Gordon%20calls%2 0for%20abolition%20of%20priority%20draft%20picks%20%7C%20Big Footy%20AFL%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fa...rity-draft-picks%2Fstory-fni5fazt-1226664707333&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13714374005389)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/743134-peter-gordon_zpse48f6738.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/743134-peter-gordon_zpse48f6738.jpg.html)

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has called for the abolition of priority draft picks and the return to a salary cap with no extra allowances or cost of living dispensation.
Gordon said he had no issue with Melbourne being handed as much as $3 million by the AFL as part of a bail-out package.

But the request for a national draft priority pick has angered him, and he wants clubs given an even chance after the priority selections handed to the expansion clubs.

"The sooner we have an unencumbered draft system without priority picks of any kind, the better off we will be in the long term," Gordon told the Herald Sun.

"My view is the same applies to the salary cap. If we all exist in an environment where the salary cap is even, and everyone has a guaranteed ability to meet it, you will see more exciting seasons.

"As each team generates good players they will struggle to keep them in the salary cap and those who have fallen by the wayside a little will have more ability and space in their cap to compete.

"I look forward to the Bulldogs' prospects in a scenario with an even draft and even salary cap, because it will be the first time, perhaps ever, we have had a serious chance to compete."

Gordon said he had two objections to extra picks for the Demons: they had wasted them in the past, and they already enjoyed a handful of elite youngsters on their list.

s"If you look at the first-round and top-20 picks Melbourne have had in the last seven or eight years, it is up there amongst the high echelons and it doesn't appear to have been a panacea for the problems they have had," he said.

"And I have to say it bodes well for the future that if you look at what their list will look like in 2015 and 2016 and further there will be quite a few clubs which would like to know they have had the likes of Jack Viney and Jesse Hogan safely ensconced in their list."

Carlton president Stephen Kernahan told the Sunday Herald Sun that priority picks should be consigned to history.

Former Melbourne coach Neil Balme, now the Cats football manager, said yesterday he did not think giving Melbourne another priority pick was the answer.

"If you look at the number of picks they had over the last few years, you probably think maybe that's not their problem," he said.

"Maybe there are other things which are their problem. Clearly more picks will help them get off the bottom, but I don't think that's the answer."

bornadog
17-06-2013, 01:52 PM
So much for us asking about a Priority Pick.

Ghost Dog
17-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Man, I love that Photo. Agree with Peter's points. Priority picks are no guarantee of leveling the comp. It's how you develop your players that counts.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 02:44 PM
So much for us asking about a Priority Pick.
Did Gordo run his comments past GVGJR first :)

SlimPickens
17-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Wish he didn't comment on this. A PP would be a huge help to possibly further strengthening our list.

Greystache
17-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Wish he didn't comment on this. A PP would be a huge help to possibly further strengthening our list.

Agree. I don't see the point of this, the AFL are always going to give some teams priority over others, this just seems to ensure we're going to get short changed on all levels.

Murphy'sLore
17-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Realistically, there was zero chance they would have given us a priority pick anyway.

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Agree with him completely. we're past all the palaver associated with building the new clubs and compensating the old for players lost. Let's get rid of priority picks altogether (and picks for free agent compo too while we're at it) and have an unencumbered draft and a hard salary cap with no concessions. Leave the F/S system as is so that it stays consistent.

Then we can get on with going to the football and being completely confused about what the hell the umpires decisions are about, on the field

Remi Moses
17-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Heard him on the ABC yesterday.
Referred to Dan Lonergan as "Woody" reference to Woody Allen :)
Sees Dan as rather pessimistic , worried, stressed .
Had a crack at Andrew Newbloke in reference to the swipe he had at us re. Stadium deals
Newbloke claimed its not Hawthorns fault.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Agree with him completely. we're past all the palaver associated with building the new clubs and compensating the old for players lost. Let's get rid of priority picks altogether (and picks for free agent compo too while we're at it) and have an unencumbered draft and a hard salary cap with no concessions. Leave the F/S system as is so that it stays consistent.

Then we can get on with going to the football and being completely confused about what the hell the umpires decisions are about, on the field

Hawthorn and Collingwood were massively assisted to win flags out of PP's
GWS and Gold Coast will win flags out of PP's

This was very very poor timing. I don't 100% agree with them but we are in a position where we had ward stolen by the system and we are now suggesing we don't want the recompense the system is set up to provide.

Foolish, irresponsible comments IMO.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2013, 04:37 PM

This was very very poor timing. I don't 100% agree with them but we are in a position where we had ward stolen by the system and we are now suggesing we don't want the recompense the system is set up to provide.

Yes I thought the Club was angling towards receiving a priority pick.Peter is contributor on Woof. Maybe he can explain his rational behind the comments.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes I thought the Club was angling towards receiving a priority pick.Peter is contributor on Woof. Maybe he can explain his rational behind the comments.

Fair point - I'll stick my response on ask el presidente :)

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Maybe Peter has got wind that the Dees are getting/have asked for more picks after pleading their sob story?

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 06:21 PM

But we already got compensation for Ward, it ended up being pick 6 this year. There'd be no Jackson Macrae without it. Not enough you say? Melbourne got more for Scully and Ward's a better player at the moment? Well maybe Melbourne just got overcompensated but the fact is Scully was a more highly rated junior and got a bigger contract to join. I was gutted to lose Ward but how long do we want compensation for? If he wins a Brownlow do we get another pick, a 2nd round pick for every B&F?
The fact that they've reduced the number of priority picks since Collingwood, Hawthorn & the Bulldogs (yeah, we got em too) were helped by them is a huge positive. Abolish them completely, get everyone on a level playing field and move on.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I genuinely don't mind the thrust of the article and what Peter has said, albeit I was hopeful we might be a side that came into consideration for a PP for a number of reasons. I'd be most displeased if the outcome of his statements are such that we miss out on gaining a PP and Melbourne get loaded up with more favourable selections in the first round of the draft.

If the AFL comes out and makes that ruling, all good and well - at least we'll be fighting from a level position and we'll need to continue to ensure we nail our early picks and our development programs are sufficient to transition the draftees into AFL quality players as soon as possible.

Given the big bailout Melbourne are going to receive from the AFL, perhaps rather than PP's they can/must use the money for the purpose of boosting their Footy Department spend so they can start to realise the talent they have on their list already and the continuing additions they'll make over the next few years whilst they remain at the foot of the table.

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Realistically, there was zero chance they would have given us a priority pick anyway.

I genuinely disagree with that sentiment.

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Strengthening the list and selling the vision to the supporters. Look at the way the supporters have rallied behind Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat in particular. 3 more names (early picks) would have been a marketing coup.

If the membership numbers dip again due to a poor finish with the balance of the season then we will be looking for every marketing opportunity to try and give the supporters something positive to focus on and a reason for signing up again.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Spot on GVGjr, the membership component to the push for a PP is a very strong one.

If the AFL don't advocate the system is to be abolished I hope we do push hard. Perhaps our public stance has a bit to do with the equalisation debate and our hope to gain support from some of the key stakeholders (being the Pies, Hawks etc).

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Peter is right, and we should have expected his stance. A fair go is all we want, not a head start.

Short term, it'll hurt us. Long term, we'll be far better off. It's time the AFL starts making changes with their eyes on the horizon rather than three feet in front of them.

The Melbourne priority pick situation, both past and potential future, is totally farcical and a blight on the AFL.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Peter is right, and we should have expected his stance. A fair go is all we want, not a head start.

Short term, it'll hurt us. Long term, we'll be far better off. It's time the AFL starts making changes with their eyes on the horizon rather than three feet in front of them.

The Melbourne priority pick situation, both past and potential future, is totally farcical and a blight on the AFL.

So, what do you suggest as long term? ........ Because I feel 59 years is long term enough!

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 10:15 PM
So, what do you suggest as long term? ........ Because I feel 59 years is long term enough!

Here here. Every rebuild is around 8-10 years from bottom to top. We should be grabbing every advantage the current rules afford us. Simply not in a position to be the voice of evening out right now. We need it all to counterbalance the enourmous benefits afforded the expansion clubs who we will run smack bang into when we reach finals again.

We should never have been involved in advocating this. A mistake of EPIC proportion give where our club and list is at whether we believe it or not.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-06-2013, 10:28 PM
No need for him to comment on this, especially given our situation.

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Here here. Every rebuild is around 8-10 years from bottom to top. We should be grabbing every advantage the current rules afford us. Simply not in a position to be the voice of evening out right now. We need it all to counterbalance the enourmous benefits afforded the expansion clubs who we will run smack bang into when we reach finals again.

We should never have been involved in advocating this. A mistake of EPIC proportion give where our club and list is at whether we believe it or not.

You want some mistakes of EPIC proportion?
Jarrad Grant, Christian Howard, Andrejs Everitt. Not to mention that the 2 players we gained from priority picks were Farren Ray & Tom Williams, ok picks who haven't worked out great. If we hadn't of screwed up those first 3 so badly we'd be much farther down the road of evening out the competition ourselves.
Advocating for a level playing field going forward, over possible immediate self interest (which would at best be a pick around 19, where there are no guarantees) is not a mistake of EPIC proportion. I certainly wouldn't underestimate Peter and his motives for speaking up.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 10:52 PM
You want some mistakes of EPIC proportion?
Jarrad Grant, Christian Howard, Andrejs Everitt. Not to mention that the 2 players we gained from priority picks were Farren Ray & Tom Williams, ok picks who haven't worked out great. If we hadn't of screwed up those first 3 so badly we'd be much farther down the road of evening out the competition ourselves.
Advocating for a level playing field going forward, over possible immediate self interest (which would at best be a pick around 19, where there are no guarantees) is not a mistake of EPIC proportion. I certainly wouldn't underestimate Peter and his motives for speaking up.
And Tim Walsh and Sam Power...

And we in our glass house are throwing stones at Melbournes record.

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 11:01 PM
And Tim Walsh and Sam Power...

And we in our glass house are throwing stones at Melbournes record.

The facts are now though that young players have the best chance of success by coming to our club than ever before because there been a significant increase in the footy department coaching resources, we will have our own VFL side, a great training HQ and we have a list manager setting all our recruiting requirements.

I'm not knocking Melbourne but we are in a far stronger position. We haven't tanked games and we have a united football department. We are in the best position I can recall to bring younger players into the club and develop them into AFL footballers.

jeemak
18-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Why are we assuming that we'll be better off with a priority pick rather than an equalised competition?

We can't expect it to run both ways. We all want an equal competition, and it's been shown to this point the priority pick system hasn't necessarily brought that.

Scrap the priority picks, scrap the third party deals, balance the draw (in fact, make it a draw rather than a fixture) and balance stadium revenues.

IMO he's on the right track.

Remi Moses
18-06-2013, 12:56 AM
To be brutally honest I reckon the Melb situation has showed it's imperative to coach and develop your draft picks. Have a look those players they've drafted were well touted and have entered a club rotten to the core.
On the flip side I think we're all annoyed and frustrated that we didn't gain the same compo Melb got for Scully. Peter Gordon's just emphasised the annoyance that everybody has with this so called even comp the salary cap supposedly delivers.

Topdog
18-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Once we beat the Saints and Port our PP chances went out the window. We'll end up with 5 or 6 wins this year. Never going to get a PP for that.

soupman
18-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Once we beat the Saints and Port our PP chances went out the window. We'll end up with 5 or 6 wins this year. Never going to get a PP for that.

Thinking a bit longer term however what if the worst happens and we dont improve next year? What if the loss of Gia and Cross along with a quick decline from Murphy and Morris means we are the worst side next year and unable to beat an improved GWS and Gold Coast we scrap to two wins against Melbourne and Port Adelaide (who we only get to play once becaus the fixture dictates these as non-high drawing games) and snag a lucky victory against an average side missing its best players?

I am all for the sentiments of Gordons comments, and the intention, however, these comments should not be made until we are sure we are back in the mix for the 8 and not in the mix for bottom 3 in the current season or next.

Maddog37
18-06-2013, 02:43 PM
I think realistically we had no chance for a pp this year. I would still like the idea of a pp in the comp but not until after the first round.

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 04:26 PM

How many of those 59 years did we compete in an even competition?

We are just as responsible for our own situation. The only thing the AFL owes us is an equal and fair chance at fighting back, and that's what Peter is asking for.

Great move, and great leadership — we are going to be taken more seriously when we're in priority pick territory ourselves than crying about PPs when we're top 4.

Topdog
19-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Thinking a bit longer term however what if the worst happens and we dont improve next year? What if the loss of Gia and Cross along with a quick decline from Murphy and Morris means we are the worst side next year and unable to beat an improved GWS and Gold Coast we scrap to two wins against Melbourne and Port Adelaide (who we only get to play once becaus the fixture dictates these as non-high drawing games) and snag a lucky victory against an average side missing its best players?

I am all for the sentiments of Gordons comments, and the intention, however, these comments should not be made until we are sure we are back in the mix for the 8 and not in the mix for bottom 3 in the current season or next.

If all that were to happen and we hit our lowest point in year 4 of our rebuild than we as a club have mucked up massively and dont deserve any assistance much like Melbourne dont deserve it this year

Ghost Dog
19-06-2013, 08:05 AM

That' the problem with Melbourne though isn't it? When you have a team that thinks it has a get out of jail card ( picks ) they don't work hard enough to ensure success.
It's sink or swim with us. We are fully committed to the fight, and our young blokes are looking at Gia, Boyd, Cross in full knowledge they have to be as good or better than them.

soupman
19-06-2013, 11:46 AM
That' the problem with Melbourne though isn't it? When you have a team that thinks it has a get out of jail card ( picks ) they don't work hard enough to ensure success.

I know what you are saying ut there is ahuge difference between us and Melbourne, even if we do struggle next year.

LostDoggy
19-06-2013, 01:52 PM
If all that were to happen and we hit our lowest point in year 4 of our rebuild than we as a club have mucked up massively and dont deserve any assistance much like Melbourne dont deserve it this year

We have Gia, Murph, Boyd etc retiring in the next two or three years and a glaring gap from the '06-'09 inclusive drafts in our list. I'll be shocked (but pleased) if we don't bottom out next year as its still those older guys holding our team together. It'll be another year older and slower next year. We mucked up massively 9 years ago and the last 3 years have been an effort to dig ourselves back out.

Anyway - we shall see. I love the way our younger guys are coming together from JJ and Talia and Smith's improvements to Wallis' forced accountability to improve in the 2's. Loving Stringer and Macrae and I have high hopes. Think we are finally building the right way but ourselves and the saints are going to continue to suffer from our drafting debarcles and the club needs time.

We can do this fast or right but I don't see us doing both. I'm happy with right.

mighty_west
20-06-2013, 10:34 AM
We don't deserve a priority pick just as much as Melbourne don't, besides teams such ss Sydney prove you don't need handouts (priority picks) to become successful, we already had two shots at recieving a pp, one is now at the Saints and thr other was a speculative pick who had barely played AFL football before.

As for the Cal Ward issue, I believe we got well compensated, the fact that Melbourne recieved more for Scully is irrelevant imo.