PDA

View Full Version : The principles of the Buddy & Boyd deals applying to the WBFC

bulldogtragic
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm on zero sleep so I might be delirious, if so tell me. But I've been thinking about the off field tactics that will be employed by teams such as GWS, Carlton and us. In particular I have been thinking about the Sheedy Taliban mentality that the GWS are using, and whether it is likely to be successful. Although allowing for differences in circumstance, the application of GWS strategy could apply to the club in the following way.

(DISCLAIMER: all this is applying the principles as I see GWS using, to our circumstances - nothing more, nothing less)

Step 1: Talk up Scharenberg, try to increase his value to fringe top 8 teams.

Step 2: Confirm $500,000 salary cap room left

Step 3: Retire the heroic Crossy (save $400,000 - total kitty $900,000)

Step 4: Fail to sign Cooney (collect pick 23 and save $600,000, total kitty $1,500,000)

Step 5: Offer Jack Riewoldt $4,400,000 over four years - on the premise he walks out on Richmond ala Tippett.

Step 6: Place pick 3 (Scharenberg) on the table. Only a trade down scenario would be entered into. I.e.

Yarran and pick 7 (possible, yet less likely)
Moore and pick 10 (possible)
Butcher and pick 10 (possible, especially since Scharenberg is from SA)
M. Brown and pick 9 (Brown is out of contract, so quite possible)
A. Black and pick 8 (less likely)
Tarrant and pick 8 (quite possible) etc, etc (paying up to $400,000 as required)

Step 7: Do the trade down for pick 8-10

Step 8: Offer Richmond pick 8-10 and pick 23 (Cooney compo) as full and final settlement for Riewoldt. If he's walked and we've got PSD Pick 3, then so be it. It's all a risk I guess...

Synopsis:

Trade: Pick 3 and Cooney for an established/establishing AFL player in our target age bracket and a Coleman medallist. The flow on effect is JR takes the best defender. Jones who is top 5 in the league for contested marks, doesn't get the best defender anymore. Stringer etc get a lesser defender too. Maintain pick 22 (I.e. Garlett / Jon Marsh).

PSD: Pick 8-10 in ND, with picks 22 & 23 and established/establishing player. PSD pick 3 on JR.

Indicative return for pick 3 and Cooney is and keeping picks 22 and 23 is: (for example only)

Kolodjashnij (blistering mid with a great left foot),
Garlett (goal kicking x factor) and
Jon Marsh (exciting forward),
Experienced player (I.e. Brown, Butcher, Tarrant etc)
Coleman Medalist

This is of course on the assumption St Kilda finish below us or wouldn't match the offer if they did, that GWS wouldn't spend that coin on anyone else but Buddy and that Melbourne have no salary cap room.

Now I'm not saying this is realistic, rather its very similar principles of the GWS at the minute. It involves moving two club champions on, but surely this would have less resistance than pick 3 and Minson for pick 1. And it all hinges on being able to convince JR to walk out. But like Kerry says "there is a little bit of the whore in all of us".

This just stinks of Sheedy-esq thinking. I'd just love to be responsible for breaking the hearts of Richmond, oh how sweet that would be. :D

(DISCLAIMER: all this is applying the principles as I see GWS using, to our circumstances - please attack the ball, not the man)

LostDoggy
10-07-2013, 12:30 PM
W.O.W. Can you put this in flowchart form please mate.;)

F'scary
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I like your thinking.

But remember, before deciding on any of these prospective recruits, Macca has first to meet with the immediate and extended families, school principals, the local constabulary and Basil Fawlty to ascertain if they are the right sort of individual for our team.

(We could have already had Garlett)

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I like your thinking.

But remember, before deciding on any of these prospective recruits, Macca has first to meet with the immediate and extended families, school principals, the local constabulary and Basil Fawlty to ascertain if they are the right sort of individual for our team.

(We could have already had Garlett)

So could every club. I'm on record as being for picking Garlett up but don't go singling us out for not doing it when even a club that was prepared to drug it's own players wouldn't take the risk.

I also know you're making fun of Macca but if the club has a policy around the sort of people they want at the club as part of the recruitment strategy and do thorough background checks then maybe we'll avoid the Guy O'Keefe's and Jarrad Boumann's of previous drafts.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Any comments of the applicability of he GWS strategy to our circumstances :)

kruder
10-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Cant see Coons being at the club next year so he will be on the table that's for sure

Remi Moses
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll be the proverbial wet blanket, but reckon its going to be difficult in our current predicament to get a big name over the line.
Like your lateral thinking BT. ( even though I've called in the lawyers to desyphon it)

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Any comments of the applicability of he GWS strategy to our circumstances :)

I think that as far as wishful thinking goes I love parts of it and it speaks to our need to upgrade certain areas. Otherwise it's a convoluted scenario that has almost no chance of coming true, if only because Richmond will likely have Riewoldt signed by the end of August.
I get the need to improve this list immediately, but reality says it takes longer than that and that getting superstars from other teams is easier said than done. It's all well and good to criticise our football department for not getting big deals like this done but the reality is they are dealing with 17 other teams trying to achieve the same end.
I look forward to seeing how Jason Mac goes in the offseason, I've liked the way he's gone about things so far in the most part.

F'scary
10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
So could every club. I'm on record as being for picking Garlett up but don't go singling us out for not doing it when even a club that was prepared to drug it's own players wouldn't take the risk.

I also know you're making fun of Macca but if the club has a policy around the sort of people they want at the club as part of the recruitment strategy and do thorough background checks then maybe we'll avoid the Guy O'Keefe's and Jarrad Boumann's of previous drafts.

It was meant to be light-hearted.

Flamethrower
10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Just heard Jack Riewoldt interviewed, stating he is willing to take a pay cut to stay at Punt Road.

We will have to look elsewhere for a messiah.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Just heard Jack Riewoldt interviewed, stating he is willing to take a pay cut to stay at Punt Road.

Hampson :)

But seriously, I don't think there's a decent FF we can target. Tarrant and Butcher would be the better forwards, Brown from WCE the best defender. Looks like we throw everything at pick one or we trade down. Interesting pros and cons for both.

F'scary
10-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Who else is available who dives for free kicks as well as the Whinger does?

GVGjr
10-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Guys, lets get back on track please.

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
It was meant to be light-hearted.

It's a bit *!*!*!*!ing hard to tell on this board these days

boydogs
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM
But seriously, I don't think there's a decent FF we can target.

Taylor Walker? Josh Kennedy?

bulldogtragic
10-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Taylor Walker? Josh Kennedy?
Both contracted.

boydogs
10-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Both contracted.

Man, how do you know this stuff? Lol.

Could we outbid GWS for Franklin?

GVGjr
10-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Man, how do you know this stuff? Lol.

Could we outbid GWS for Franklin?

Sure could but he wouldn't come. He actually likes Sydney more than Melbourne

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Sure could but he wouldn't come. He actually likes Sydney more than Melbourne

Not surprised. You thinking he'll do a Lockett?

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
No thanks to Jack Riewoldt, he is the biggest sooky lala since Richo.

bornadog
11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
No thanks to Jack Riewoldt, he is the biggest sooky lala since Richo.

Can kick a lot of goals

Ghost Dog
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Can kick a lot of goals

Only when things are going well.

Twodogs
11-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Can kick a lot of goals

Only when things are going well.

Could you imagine Jack being miles clear of his opponent, running at the ball carrier only to see the ball go 5 metres over his head? :D

Hotdog60
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Word has it that GWS could offer Buddy 10 mil over 6 years or ante up pick 1 in a trade.

Bulldog4life
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Word has it that GWS could offer Buddy 10 mil over 6 years or ante up pick 1 in a trade.

They wouldn't have to trade Hotdog. He is a FA.

Hotdog60
11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
They wouldn't have to trade Hotdog. He is a FA.

This was out of the article.

Asked on Thursday whether the Giants would use the No. 1 pick they currently hold to trade for Franklin, Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni said "anything's possible".

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-11/no1-trade-for-buddy)

Bulldog4life
11-07-2013, 07:40 PM
This was out of the article.

Asked on Thursday whether the Giants would use the No. 1 pick they currently hold to trade for Franklin, Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni said "anything's possible".

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-11/no1-trade-for-buddy)

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Could it be a sign-and-trade like they do in the nba ?? Buddy might do right by the hawks and try get them the no 1 pick. Not sure how it works in afl

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Trade out the best forward in the league, draft the best rated young forward in years.

No worries. How can we compete?

Remi Moses
11-07-2013, 09:56 PM
It's well and good Buddy doing the right thing by Hawthorn.
But what about short changing his new club ?
As Robbo said on 360, bit like someone robbing your house and leaving a " Sorry" note

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
It's well and good Buddy doing the right thing by Hawthorn.
But what about short changing his new club ?
As Robbo said on 360, bit like someone robbing your house and leaving a " Sorry" note

Heard him say that also. Problem is GWS have robbed the whole neighbourhood over that last couple of years. Maybe they see that their warehouse is full and don't give a fudge.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Maybe we are in Jack's ear....

chef
25-07-2013, 07:18 PM
You would hope so.