PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 18 vs West Coast

GVGjr
20-07-2013, 03:29 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Sundays game game against West Coast at Etihad?

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

Greystache
20-07-2013, 05:35 PM
What changes should we make this week?

G-Mo77
20-07-2013, 05:52 PM
By the sounds of it Goodes fractured his wrist. Could be the end of season for him.

bornadog
20-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I will have an early go as the Willi game was apparently a shocker, so not much to come out of there.

Out Goodes (presume injured), Addison and Dickson

In: Wood (replace Goodes), Boyd and Stringer. Alternatively if Wood is not match fit, then Howard comes in.

Sedat
20-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Wood played Willy 2nds. No way should be come straight into the seniors.

In: Boyd, Stringer
Out: Goodes, DFA

bulldogtragic
20-07-2013, 07:08 PM
In: Boyd, Stringer
Out: Goodes, Addison/Dickson

Doc26
20-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I will have an early go as the Willi game was apparently a shocker, so not much to come out of there.

Out Goodes (presume injured), Addison and Dickson

In: Wood (replace Goodes), Boyd and Stringer. Alternatively if Wood is not match fit, then Howard comes in.

I'd go close to this but replace Young for Wood

bornadog
20-07-2013, 08:34 PM

I was trying to find a replacement for Goodes and forgot about Young - so yes agree with you.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Cross travelled to Launceston as first emergency and reckon he might come into the side. He and Hunter spent a long time after the match running on Aurora Stadium.
In. Cross Boyd and Stringer
Out. Goodes(inj) Dickson and Hunter

Hotdog60
21-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Hunter did a couple of nice things when he came on, one little flick back into play resulted in a goal. I think he needs to start on the ground then sub him after.

Can Boyd replace Goodes in the back line?

Out: Goodes and Stevens
In Young and Boyd

SlimPickens
21-07-2013, 10:59 AM
In: Young, Stringer

Out: Goodes, DFA

GVGjr
21-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Cross travelled to Launceston as first emergency and reckon he might come into the side. He and Hunter spent a long time after the match running on Aurora Stadium.
In. Cross Boyd and Stringer
Out. Goodes(inj) Dickson and Hunter

I wonder if Boyd is coming into the side if that then cancels out Cross being included.
I like what you are suggesting though. If there was a way of squeezing Young into the side I'd look at that as well.

The Underdog
21-07-2013, 12:39 PM
In: Young, Boyd, Stringer
Out: Goodes, Wallis, Addison

We lose Goodes run but we don't have like for like and Young is the next best defensive option.
Wallis unlucky, but basically played Boyd's role yesterday. Stringer's had a couple of week's rest, so if he's ready then DFA is my choice to drop out.

LostDoggy
22-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Ins (outs): Boyd (Stevens), Campbell (Addison), Stringer (Hrovat), Howard (Goodes).

TC to help out Minson against the twin towers, Boyd back in for some experience and a rest for Koby, Howard to replace Goodes role until Young gets some 2's fitness, Stringer refreshed and Rat to also rest.

Hunter to start, Dal the sub

F'scary
22-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Stuff it:

Let's rest Minnow for one week.

Cordy & Campbell to be put to the sword.

Remi Moses
23-07-2013, 12:48 AM
In Campbell
Out- Will ( general)

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Really tough one for me. Will is a bit cooked, Stringer should be ready to return, Austin and Campbell are the best performed vfl players.

GVGjr
23-07-2013, 03:39 AM
In Campbell
Out- Will ( general)

Remi, did you forget about the injury to Goodes?

Remi Moses
23-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Remi, did you forget about the injury to Goodes?

Toughen up Brett:eek:
Completely forgot

Ozza
23-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Need another tall-ish type to take a WCE tall forward.

Young in for Goodes.

Boyd will also come in, not sure which mid (or possibly forward with a shuffling of positions) will miss. Might depend on how Macrae and Hrovat pull up after Tassie.

Real winning opportunity this weekend. Looking like Nic Nat will miss the game - so eases Will's burden a little (because he'll ONLY have to play on Dean Cox!).

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Out: Goodes and Stevens
In Young and Boyd

Agree.

JohnGentStand
23-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Out
Goodes, Hunter
In
Young, Stringer

1eyedog
23-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Ins: Campbell, Stringer and Boyd
Outs: Goodes, Addison and Dickson

F'scary
23-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes bring back Stringer. Add some footy IQ to the team. He's the Barry Jones of the forward line.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Was at Whitten Oval. He was Stringer the removalist today! Was unloading stuff from a Van behind the ground with Fletch. Has a bit of a Jono Brown strut about him. Love it.

Cyberdoggie
24-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Looks like Natanui is out, so at least we don't have to watch him terrorize us ala the Harlem Globetrotters v the Washington Generals.

Eastdog
25-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Looks like Boyd will be coming back this weekend. Hopefully he has a great game back and uses the ball as well as he can.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Looks like Boyd will be coming back this weekend. Hopefully he has a great game back and uses the ball as well as he can.
The official twitter feed says he's coming in this week.

Eastdog
25-07-2013, 03:33 PM
The official twitter feed says he's coming in this week.

With Nic Nat out that helps us in the ruck. We have be weary of their forwards but West Coast haven't been doing that well lately which gives us a chance especially being at home.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Outs: Goodes (arm), Hrovat (soreness)

Ins: Boyd, Young, Stringer, Howard, Austin

Flamethrower
25-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Matt Boyd, Mark Austin, Chris Howard, Jake Stringer and Tom Young into the 25 for Goodsey and Nat the Rat.

For them, huges outs: Darren Glass, Adam Selwood, Mark LeCras, Luke Shuey and Nic Nat!!

Hams, Butler, Rosa, Scott Selwood, Sheppard, Lycett, Wilson & McInees into 25.

Get on the Dogs!!!

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 07:58 PM
You'd expect Boyd and Stringer to come back in, and one of Howard and Young maybe.

Remi Moses
25-07-2013, 08:07 PM
One important in for them is Kennedy.

Remi Moses
25-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Matt Boyd, Mark Austin, Chris Howard, Jake Stringer and Tom Young into the 25 for Goodsey and Nat the Rat.

For them, huges outs: Darren Glass, Adam Selwood, Mark LeCras, Luke Shuey and Nic Nat!!

Hams, Butler, Rosa, Scott Selwood, Sheppard, Lycett, Wilson & McInees into 25.

Get on the Dogs!!!

Are they " managing " their list for 2014?

Eastdog
25-07-2013, 08:14 PM
One important in for them is Kennedy.

Who do you think will take him Remi? Roughead, Morris

azabob
25-07-2013, 08:19 PM
You'd expect Boyd and Stringer to come back in, and one of Howard and Young maybe.

Austin may come in and Roughead to help out in the ruck?

F'scary
25-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Who is this WC player "Pressed Hams?"

For those who do not know: a pressed ham is a brown-eye up against a window.

Remi Moses
25-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Who do you think will take him Remi? Roughead, Morris

I'd have a crack with Talia.
Everyone else has had a go
Markovic?:eek:

Eastdog
25-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I'd have a crack with Talia.
Everyone else has had a go
Markovic?:eek:

Markovic would be soundly beaten by Kennedy. Talia has been very good the last few weeks. Who do you see as our future #1 fullback.

Happy Days
26-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Markovic would be soundly beaten by Kennedy.

What makes you say that? :rolleyes:

Eastdog
26-07-2013, 01:23 AM
What makes you say that? :rolleyes:

Based on how he has played when his been in the side recently.

Doc26
26-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Apologies for the cynicism but it is good to see that our next great white hope Fletcher Roberts is slowly getting closer to a call up. He's made it to the Social Club pre-match with Patty Vezspremi this week.

Peter German's post match summation from last week's VFL game:

Fletcher Roberts: He was good. He played forward and back and I thought he was really good down back. He was probably our best player in being able to handle the conditions, with his ball handling and his execution and his ability to be effective with it.

Aren't these the key attributes we're currently lacking in, not to mention being a young tall key position prospect ?

The Underdog
26-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Apologies for the cynicism but it is good to see that our next great white hope Fletcher Roberts is slowly getting closer to a call up. He's made it to the Social Club pre-match with Patty Vezspremi this week.

Aren't these the key attributes we're currently lacking in, not to mention being a young tall key position prospect ?

He's missed quite a bit of time with injury so I understand them taking their time with a young tall in this instance. I'm keen to have an extended look at him but you want him to be physically ready.

bornadog
26-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Most of the season now finished, why he is not playing this week is beyond me.

G-Mo77
26-07-2013, 02:31 PM
He's missed quite a bit of time with injury so I understand them taking their time with a young tall in this instance. I'm keen to have an extended look at him but you want him to be physically ready.

I don't think he's far away. I believe that was his first Senior hit out at VFL level since coming back from injury, you'd like him to have a few there before an AFL call up.

I do hold high hopes for Fletch.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Eagles field their weakest team for the season

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-25/eagles-field-weak-side-against-bulldogs/4844664

The Underdog
26-07-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't think he's far away. I believe that was his first Senior hit out at VFL level since coming back from injury, you'd like him to have a few there before an AFL call up.

I do hold high hopes for Fletch.

I'd love them to start him in the Forward / 2nd ruck role once he gets a shot to see where he's at there

G-Mo77
26-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I'd love them to start him in the Forward / 2nd ruck role once he gets a shot to see where he's at there

Personally I see him going back and Roughy taking on more ruck duties.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Most of the season now finished, why he is not playing this week is beyond me.

Roberts is our future and Austin has only been a fill in previously so the selection is somewhat puzzling. This would be a good time to use Talia and Roberts as our two key defenders and allow Roughead to lend support as a marking forward and ruck support to Minson. With WCE being very undermanned this becomes a very winnable game. We should gain the ascendancy through Griffen Liberatore Boyd and Cooney in the midfield.

bornadog
26-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Roberts is our future and Austin has only been a fill in previously so the selection is somewhat puzzling. This would be a good time to use Talia and Roberts as our two key defenders and allow Roughead to lend support as a marking forward and ruck support to Minson. With WCE being very undermanned this becomes a very winnable game. We should gain the ascendancy through Griffen Liberatore Boyd and Cooney in the midfield.

Exactly my thoughts.

G-Mo77
26-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Roberts is our future and Austin has only been a fill in previously so the selection is somewhat puzzling. This would be a good time to use Talia and Roberts as our two key defenders and allow Roughead to lend support as a marking forward and ruck support to Minson.

Roberts has played 2 development games and 1 senior game in the VFL, is there a reason to rush him in? I'm a big Fletch fan but he's got to put 2 - 3 good games together at Willy before breaking into our team. Patience.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Roberts has played 2 development games and 1 senior game in the VFL, is there a reason to rush him in? I'm a big Fletch fan but he's got to put 2 - 3 good games together at Willy before breaking into our team. Patience.

Were you / Are you surprised how quickly Macrae has slotted into a role G-Mo77?
A lot smaller and slighter than Fletch.

azabob
26-07-2013, 07:44 PM

I think it is easier for a slight midfielder to find their feet quickly, as opposed to a potential slight key position player.

Doc26
26-07-2013, 08:03 PM

I understand he has had limited game time, and your argument, but he is overdue for an opportunity G-Mo

1. He's been on our list coming on 2 seasons with very little senior exposure when many others have been afforded opportunities less deserving
2. We desperately need players who can use the ball effectively and who are emerging KPP prospects
3. Bringing Mark Austin back does little more than warm a seat for Fletcher whilst creating frustration amongst those patiently waiting for his chance, preferring to be 'hopefully' pleasantly surprised by how quickly he can come on if given a decent crack at it
4. The MC have been prepared to return players early when it suits such as rushing back an underdone Tory Dickson a few weeks back so it is not inconsistent with their philosophy granted Dickson has been in the system a bit longer having been given the chance
5. There are few games left this season to get good senior exposure into him
6. West Coast are undermanned with many senior players out so Fletcher is unlikely to be exposed. He was, as Peter German stated, one of Willy's better performers last week.
7. Provides encouragement and hope to our supporter base to get a further glimpse of the future
8. This is a development year for us so lets give him a chance to do just that alongside Roughy, Talia, Young etc rather than in Willy's development or senior squad
9. GWS would not have been able to field a player if they applied our handling of Fletcher to their list. Throw him in with his future team mates.
10. Would prefer to be surprised by what Fletcher can bring now rather than what we are more than likely to see with Mark Austin's output at this level

azabob
26-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Is it possible the Roberts is not up to it?

G-Mo77
26-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Honestly. Yeah I was, being so thin I didn't think we'd see as much as we have of Macrae. Fletch's build has nothing to do with this though.

I understand he has had limited game time and your argument but he is overdue for an opportunity G-Mo
No offence Doc but I haven't got time elaborating on point to point.

Let me set the record straight I'm a huge Roberts fan. If he came in this week I'd be over the moon. Your points are all valid and I'm not arguing against them but Fletch has had an injury interrupted year, played 5 Senior VFL games this season, I don't see the point in rushing. I'm patient and am happy to wait. He'll get a shot this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Honestly. Yeah I was, being so thin I didn't think we'd see as much as we have of Macrae. Fletch's build has nothing to do with this though.

No offence Doc but I haven't got time elaborating on point to point.

Let me set the record straight I'm a huge Roberts fan. If he came in this week I'd be over the moon. Your points are all valid and I'm not arguing against them but Fletch has had an injury interrupted year, played 5 Senior VFL games this season, I don't see the point in rushing. I'm patient and am happy to wait. He'll get a shot this year.

Doc's comments regarding Dickson and GWS are spot on.
Would you rather have Roberts in the line up or players like Dickson Addison Austin Wallis and Tutt? We are crying out for taller bigger players who can take an overhead mark. I am a fan of Stringer and he was played when underdone, has two weeks off and is back in the side.
Where is the logic in this?
I find some of the selections by the MC puzzling.

G-Mo77
26-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Doc's comments regarding Dickson and GWS are spot on.
Would you rather have Roberts in the line up or players like Dickson Addison Austin Wallis and Tutt? We are crying out for taller bigger players who can take an overhead mark. I am a fan of Stringer and he was played when underdone, has two weeks off and is back in the side.
Where is the logic in this?
I find some of the selections by the MC puzzling.

How many times do I have to say this. I WANT ROBERTS IN THE SENIOR SIDE!!!!!

I make a logical reason for not playing him and I'm jumped on. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. He'll be in next week or the following. I'm done.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2013, 09:48 PM

I make a logical reason for not playing him and I'm jumped on. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. He'll be in next week or the following. I'm done.

My apologies. My criticism was meant to be aimed at the MC and certainly not meant at you.

LostDoggy
26-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I think it would be in Fletch's best interest to wait until he is cherry ripe, at least one more week would seem right.

Doc26
26-07-2013, 09:51 PM

G-Mo apologies from my end. My points made were in no way a slight on your opinion of which I value but just endeavouring to put a case forward as to why I would prefer to see Fletcher in now rather than any further need for patience with him, although I can appreciate this given his limited game time. I realise that you are a supporter of Roberts and would love to see his inclusion at the right time, and soon. I'm suspecting (hoping) that in a week's time this will become a moot point.

Greystache
26-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Official team

In- Young, Boyd

Out- Goodes, Hrovat

Emergencies- Stringer, Howard, Austin

Eastdog
26-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Official team

In- Young, Boyd

Out- Goodes, Hrovat

Emergencies- Stringer, Howard, Austin

Are you surprised Stringer is out Stache? Would of thought more game time would be beneficial for him but I understand also that he is only in his first year so the coach will rest him in some weeks.

GVGjr
26-07-2013, 11:31 PM

He simply hasn't done enough to earn it. Lets see how he goes after tomorrows game.
I'm all for creating some opportunities for younger players but he needs to be fit and in form if he is to get a lot out of the experience.

Cyberdoggie
27-07-2013, 12:48 PM
He simply hasn't done enough to earn it. Lets see how he goes after tomorrows game.
I'm all for creating some opportunities for younger players but he needs to be fit and in form if he is to get a lot out of the experience.

Exactly if he's not even performing at Willy then we are setting him up for a bad experience asking him to perform against WCE.

Doc26
27-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Exactly if he's not even performing at Willy then we are setting him up for a bad experience asking him to perform against WCE.

It's a stretch to suggest that Fletcher is not performing at Willy to suit the counter view put forward

Peter German's post match summation from last week's VFL game:

Fletcher Roberts: He was good. He played forward and back and I thought he was really good down back. He was probably our best player in being able to handle the conditions, with his ball handling and his execution and his ability to be effective with it

And last week was not the only game this season that Fletcher has shown these qualities that German refers to. Others this season have been given opportunities less deserving than Fletcher.

bornadog
27-07-2013, 01:56 PM
It's a stretch to suggest that Fletcher is not performing at Willy to suit the counter view put forward

And last week was not the only game this season that Fletcher has shown these qualities that German refers to. Others this season have been given opportunities less deserving than Fletcher.

Example Cordy, Addison and Dickson

LostDoggy
27-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Despite a nice report, Roberts did only have 8 disposals no marks and 2 tackles

Rocco Jones
27-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Totally agree with the Fletch isn't ready calls.

I definitely believe we should be giving players in the 18-22 year old bracket games ahead of plodders. However, I believe giving games when a player isn't ready can be counter productive for a few reasons.

1- a player can be physically not up to it. This can to physical and/or confidence issues.
2- not up to it contribution wise. Can dent a player's confidence and/or getting them into habit of playing in survival mode (cheap goals etc).
3- players need to know they need to earn games/can't just hand games out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Totally agree with the Fletch isn't ready calls.

I definitely believe we should be giving players in the 18-22 year old bracket games ahead of plodders. However, I believe giving games when a player isn't ready can be counter productive for a few reasons.

1- a player can be physically not up to it. This can to physical and/or confidence issues.
2- not up to it contribution wise. Can dent a player's confidence and/or getting them into habit of playing in survival mode (cheap goals etc).
3- players need to know they need to earn games/can't just hand games out.
There is a number who haven't earned games in the past two years.
We could do worse than play both Fletcher and Campbell in an attempt to give us some height and marking power which is sadly lacking in our side.

Greystache
27-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Example Cordy, Addison and Dickson

Dickson kicked 4.1 took 6 marks and was named BOG the week before he got promoted, but don't let that get in the way of another good scapegoating.

bornadog
27-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Dickson kicked 4.1 took 6 marks and was named BOG the week before he got promoted, but don't let that get in the way of another good scapegoating.

and has since proven he was rushed back in. One good game and straight in.

F'scary
27-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Very disappointed that Stringer is not playing. No wonder we can't pull a crowd (but I will be there! Look out for the Silver Gumby! I have a leave pass!).

Happy Days
27-07-2013, 09:41 PM

So what about one bad game and straight back out? (read: Veszpremi, Patrick)

You have to appreciate the ceiling that some guys have, regardless of whether they play to it or not.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I really want to see Roberts play and was calling for it a few months back, but he got sick and then injured when he was very close to a call up. He hasn't been able to string continuity this season, but hopefully he can push for a game late.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2013, 01:02 AM
I really want to see Roberts play and was calling for it a few months back, but he got sick and then injured when he was very close to a call up. He hasn't been able to string continuity this season, but hopefully he can push for a game late.

As usual TBB, I think that's a fair and accurate assessment. Really looking forward to seeing Fletch get a game but I'm happy to wait if it means a better, confidence building performance that gives him something to build on to season 2014.

I get the feeling we'll definitely see him sooner rather than later and that the MC are also very eager to get him into the side.

jeemak
28-07-2013, 03:26 AM

BAD, I suppose they know that Dickson after one good game in the two's is going to be followed by another good game in the two's. He has played extremely well at that level for a number of years to this point, and has demonstrated if given senior opportunities over the course of the last 18 months he can more than account for himself at that level.

With the younger players, after one or two good, solid, excellent or decent games they get held back a little, as they haven't a track record of performing consistently time and again at the second level, or showing enough to warrant a spot at the top level.

Allowances to contravene the above requirements will be made for players with specific attributes like height or elite talent (Stringer, MaCrae or Hrovat), or for players who need to be thrown to the deep end to see if they can forge an AFL career (Cordy).