PDA

View Full Version : Essendon chairman David Evans stands down

Eastdog
27-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Essendon Chairman David Evans stands down amid speculation of fallout with James Hird

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/essendon-chairman-david-evans-stands-down-in-wake-of-drugs-revelations/story-e6frg6n6-1226686834261

GVGjr
27-07-2013, 08:17 PM
There has to be more to come.

I think Hird and Thompson should lose their jobs at the end of the season and be banned from the AFL for 3 years.
The Bombers should lose their 1st and 2nd round draft picks this year and next.
They should also get a reduction of $200,000 from the salary cap for 3 years.
I'd also consider taking points off them next year (up to 24 points)

bulldogtragic
27-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Rumour mongerers claiming EFC have advanced knowledge of ASADA findings.

No evidence though.

Sedat
27-07-2013, 08:57 PM

I think Hird and Thompson should lose their jobs at the end of the season and be banned from the AFL for 3 years.
I want all players injected with banned substances to cop their 2 years as well. And Watson's Brownlow must be stripped.

Ghost Dog
27-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Essendon Chairman David Evans stands down amid speculation of fallout with James Hird

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/essendon-chairman-david-evans-stands-down-in-wake-of-drugs-revelations/story-e6frg6n6-1226686834261

Well, they were having bro hugs the other night. Confused.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Bombers wooden spoon 2013

Last week: $15
Now: $3.65

Ghost Dog
27-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Poked my nose into Bomber Blitz. Some comments that suggest the penny has finally dropped for some supporters. Pity they lack such perspective to not see this as an issue until they are held to account.

APD
Why would he go now..??? For the first time Im worried big time.

Bomberfaithful
I have a very different feeling about all this now and I am very, very worried that we are going to be hit with everything they've got....very soon!

LFBS ( elite member )
We are in deep shit. I hope this latest resignation can help people come to realise this isn't just some 6 month long beat up.

Karnabomber
I suggest a certain female journo hire a couple of body guards. She'll need them!

The last one is of some concern. As much as I dislike Caro generally, she has been quite rightly on to this issue, and I don't think this just because I'm an opposition supporter.
Our society at the lower economic end is awash with drugs. I live in Norlane, and I can tell you all about it. It's essential our top sporting code leads society where it should go.

Unfortunately some knuckleheads think Theage is responsible for all this and is to blame. They have no perspective whatsoever. I actually have some concern for the safety of Caroline Wilson and others at TheAge, if Essendon is found to have broken the laws.

Can I just add, the mods here all do a very fair and balanced job. Need only spend 5 minutes in an opposition board to realize that.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2013, 09:51 PM
I can't get over the bloody mindedness on twitter by Essendon folk.

I.e. claiming 'the bastards' got another victim tonight....

Really???

bornadog
27-07-2013, 10:18 PM

If the club is found guilty of drug cheating then they should lose their license for two years and all officials players be banned as well

Eastdog
27-07-2013, 10:22 PM

1 day ago - Essendon Chairman David Evans: I am not standing down

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-chairman-david-evans-i-am-not-standing-down/story-fni5f6kv-1226684619904

The Doctor
27-07-2013, 10:25 PM
From an outsider's point of view he seemed the most legitimate of all the players in this rotten mess. Those who are responsible that are still at the club should hang their heads in shame if this is so.

Remi Moses
27-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Mark Vitamin c Mcveigh is in denial
" it's a disgrace" " it's the media " .
Take responsibility for this mess Essendon !
So if Fairfax is so wrong Mark, I take it their will be legal action?

Eastdog
27-07-2013, 10:42 PM
It's a shambles. Relieved that it is not our club that is going through this after that whole media beat up about drugs in sport.

SonofScray
27-07-2013, 10:56 PM
" it's a disgrace" " it's the media " .
Take responsibility for this mess Essendon !
So if Fairfax is so wrong Mark, I take it their will be legal action?

Spiked McVeigh.

Sedat
27-07-2013, 10:56 PM
" it's a disgrace" " it's the media "
This moron is in the media now. So many hopelessly compromised people charged with the responsibility of commenting on this game.

1eyedog
27-07-2013, 11:09 PM
This moron is in the media now. So many hopelessly compromised people charged with the responsibility of commenting on this game.

This guy is one of the most underwhelming, biased commentators in the AFL. I cannot listen to him.

The Doctor
27-07-2013, 11:20 PM
This guy is one of the most underwhelming, biased commentators in the AFL. I cannot listen to him.

he makes David Schwarz seem modestly intelligent.

1eyedog
27-07-2013, 11:27 PM
I want all players injected with banned substances to cop their 2 years as well. And Watson's Brownlow must be stripped.

I'd like them to play a full season for no points next year - just zero at the bottom of the ladder all season.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 01:06 AM

If the club is found guilty of drug cheating then they should lose their license for two years and all officials players be banned as well

This is one of the reason why I feel the AFL will insert it's influence and make sure the players are not part of this process. We need 18 sides in the competition and the AFL will do its utmost to make sure this is maintained. We can argue all we like that allowing the players to participate next season isn't right, but we do need the 18th side.

To me the solution to this mess is quite simple. The AFL should set a directive that clubs can only obtain medicines from AFL approved pharmacists and they should audit all the purchases weekly. Where players are asked to sign release forms it must also have an approval from the AFL.

It's becoming evident that the AFL isn't as squeaky clean as we had all probably hoped for so they must get serious about stopping any club from going to far.

We can't have players receiving 30 needles on supplements etc if we want to maintain a clean competition and the AFL can't trust the clubs any more.

I feel for Evans as I don't think he knew the extent of what was happening at the club. Those who did I don't think have been held to account yet.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 01:16 AM
I'd like them to play a full season for no points next year - just zero at the bottom of the ladder all season.

The problem with this is that they will drop off and the teams that play them twice will get a huge advantage.

jeemak
28-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Chairman and CEO gone, and to be honest they had to considering the governance position each held at the club.

With that in mind, if things are so grim that the most key and senior accountable people had to be removed it can only be a matter of time before the next layer, and the layer after that have to go as well. After all, when it comes to football matters the chairman and the CEO barely hold ceremonial positions at an AFL club. let alone key football operations positions.

I hope Evans is able to recover to good health sooner rather than later. This time would surely be very stressful for him, his family and his friends. IMO he's carrying the repercussions of acts executed by extremely irresponsible people on his shoulders and those people should be made accountable for their negligent behavior.

Topdog
28-07-2013, 08:01 AM
The problem with this is that they will drop off and the teams that play them twice will get a huge advantage.

The storm didn't drop off

Hotdog60
28-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Could we swap them with the winner of the VFL completion or the highest ranked stand alone for a year or two.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Could we swap them with the winner of the VFL completion or the highest ranked stand alone for a year or two.

No chance. That would be a very poor decision for the competition.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 09:08 AM

This is right, I reckon. A measured, though serious, punishment that serves to ensure it doesn't happen again whilst not killing them.

Theatre.

The storm didn't drop off
Melbourne Storm are a totally different case. Their culture is legendary, and if only rugby was popular here we might realise we have perhaps the country's greatest sports team on our doorstep.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Wonder if we could pick up Bomber Thompson as an assistant coach somehow? That would be great. Um, wouldn't it?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Wonder if we could pick up Bomber Thompson as an assistant coach somehow? That would be great. Um, wouldn't it?
Not sure how his 3, 5 year or life ban will affect things?

chef
28-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Feel sorry for David Evans.

Sedat
28-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Feel sorry for David Evans.
Can I ask why? There is circumstantial evidence directly linking him and Hird as potential investors to the distributor of AOD in order to get the drug fast-tracked for approval under the therapeutic goods association. So the smoking gun not only leads him and Hird to using the players as guinea pigs in the use of a drug that is banned under the WADA code as not approved for human use, they (allegedly) did this to line their already fat pockets.

Now that Evans is out of the picture, expect the EFC to fight tooth and nail against the AFL when the sanctions are announced in the next couple of weeks. Evans and Vlad are joined at the hip - Vlad now has no personal friendship to ruin by smashing Essendon to pieces with draconian sanctions. And if he doesn't do it, WADA will simply appeal against the sanctions to make an example of the systematic dug cheating that (allegedly) took place at Windy Hill in 2012.

By the way, Eddie McGuire is a board member of Evans' company. Hence why we haven't heard much from Ed in relation to this issue when he's normally never short of a word on all matters footy.

chef
28-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Can I ask why?

Must admit I haven't really followed this too closely(and are probably far off the mark), but I feel sorry for him and his family for the media focus he's getting for an issue that he probably wouldn't have been aware of as it was happening.

To steal from Jeemak...
'he's carrying the repercussions of acts executed by extremely irresponsible people on his shoulders and those people should be made accountable for their negligent behavior'

Plus my mums a Bomber supporter and this issue is putting her through footballing hell.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Pretty sure he will leave football within 2 years regardless of the investigation.

Topdog
28-07-2013, 12:33 PM
By the way, Eddie McGuire is a board member of Evans' company. Hence why we haven't heard much from Ed in relation to this issue when he's normally never short of a word on all matters footy.

Is that fact or speculation? Would make 100% sense as to why he has said nothing on the matter.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Is that fact or speculation? Would make 100% sense as to why he has said nothing on the matter.
https://www.evansandpartners.com.au/ourpeople/advisoryboard

See AFL commissioner too.

SonofScray
28-07-2013, 01:47 PM

That is another layer to what is an exceptionally grubby scenario. Just goes to show how incestuous things are at the top end of the tree. The fact that we've got a potential systematic attempt at doping aside, the power struggle, conflict of interest and sphere of influence between the people involved is incredible.

I've long felt that the AFL is far too concerned about the perception of integrity and the representation of its brand (see creation of AFL Media, ridiculous decision making at MRP level etc) than actually delivering on that value. Integrity, to me, would look like the League delivering a competition that is unimpaired by individual interests. The game has been co-opted by a League and turned into a money making, boys club.

Everyone's ability to make a buck hinges on a delicate equation that maximises revenue. From players, administrators right through to the overcrowded media full of ex players and dolts from the football world who have nowhere else to go. It cannot continue.

Perhaps it is time for the AFL to concentrate on delivering a national competition and have an independent commission set up to work through the broader issues that impact the game of Australian Rules football.

If the AFL fell over, football would continue. They are not bigger than the game, they are not THE game. Nor is Essendon, or any of the power brokers who are right in the muck on this issue. Turf them out.

azabob
28-07-2013, 01:51 PM
https://www.evansandpartners.com.au/ourpeople/advisoryboard

See AFL commissioner too.

Mind boggling isn't it?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Mind boggling isn't it?
If its true that Evans was involved with the 'trialling' of AOD, it makes you wonder what footy stuff discussions he had with Kelty and Eddie around board meetings...

azabob
28-07-2013, 03:08 PM
If its true that Evans was involved with the 'trialling' of AOD, it makes you wonder what footy stuff discussions he had with Kelty and Eddie around board meetings...

Yep it does. Could this also be why the AFL is flipping and flopping on the issue?

KT31
28-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Yep it does. Could this also be why the AFL is flipping and flopping on the issue?

Beings without spines generally flip and flop around.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Pretty sure he will leave football within 2 years regardless of the investigation.

The media speculation must be very unpleasant for those at their club who have done nothing wrong. They have to stand by their employer while at the same time, probably being inwardly filthy at them.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 07:33 PM
The media speculation must be very unpleasant for those at their club who have done nothing wrong. They have to stand by their employer while at the same time, probably being inwardly filthy at them.

They can always quit. Nobody would blame them, and they'd probably get a job somewhere else. Money ain't worth your soul.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Going to be a very interesting week as this story continues to develop. Certainly looking much more likely the proper punishments will be handed out - my long held concerns of the AFL cover-up machine putting a stop to that looks over.

Really like your suggestion GVGjr regarding the use of approved pharmacists and whatnot to oversee the procurement of supplements. Makes sense and hopefully the AFL is considering adopting a policy such as this.

Ghost Dog
29-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Must admit I haven't really followed this too closely(and are probably far off the mark), but I feel sorry for him and his family for the media focus he's getting for an issue that he probably wouldn't have been aware of as it was happening.

To steal from Jeemak...
'he's carrying the repercussions of acts executed by extremely irresponsible people on his shoulders and those people should be made accountable for their negligent behavior'

Plus my mums a Bomber supporter and this issue is putting her through footballing hell.

Caro reporting that the Hird camp, among its members Paul Little, Toll holdings chief executive, had become critical of Evans being too sided with the AFL.
She rightly points out the hypocrisy of Hird. On his soap box about integrity and letting process take its course, while leaking his ASADA testimony to news media ( the call from Vlad ). He has to go.

GVGjr
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM

This is one of the reason why I feel the AFL will insert it's influence and make sure the players are not part of this process. We need 18 sides in the competition and the AFL will do its utmost to make sure this is maintained. We can argue all we like that allowing the players to participate next season isn't right, but we do need the 18th side.

To me the solution to this mess is quite simple. The AFL should set a directive that clubs can only obtain medicines from AFL approved pharmacists and they should audit all the purchases weekly. Where players are asked to sign release forms it must also have an approval from the AFL.

It's becoming evident that the AFL isn't as squeaky clean as we had all probably hoped for so they must get serious about stopping any club from going to far.

We can't have players receiving 30 needles on supplements etc if we want to maintain a clean competition and the AFL can't trust the clubs any more.

I feel for Evans as I don't think he knew the extent of what was happening at the club. Those who did I don't think have been held to account yet.

It looks like the AFL will take a tougher stance by taking their points off them this year.
I hope they eat into their salary cap as a way of making them 'break up the band' for next season. Perhaps they shouldn't be able to bid for restricted free agents either.

Long term, losing picks in the first two rounds of the draft for two years will knock them around but they still have some assets they could trade this year so the salary cap reduction is a requirement.

The AFL has to make all clubs go through the process I have highlighted. We can't have clubs acquiring supplements from anyone other than an AFL approved Pharmacist.