PDA

View Full Version : Is Tutt going to make it?

always right
04-08-2013, 11:04 PM
The coach has really put a lot of faith in Tutt this year and I for one think it's finally starting to pay off. Week by week he is having a greater impact on games and appears to be building confidence in taking the game on as evidenced by two passages today where he burnt off opponents.

He is still unsure when the ball is below his knees but I'm liking what I'm seeing. We need his pace and if he can just improve his finishing, we may have ourselves a pretty handy player. Seems to be nothing wrong with his workrate......big improvement in this area.

Reckon he's a keeper.....anyone disagree?

Ghost Dog
04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Absolutely he is going to make it. He grew up a softball player. He's only getting used to the body contact now, but you can see him making a beeline for the contest in recent games, rather than going for the cheap hand pass and run on. Getting the hang of it, and that sprint down the guts and chip pass was awesome. Smart footy player.

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 11:11 PM
He looks like a rabbit in a spot light at times but to his credit he's becoming a little more composed. Not sure on if he's a keeper or not, still a fair bit of work to do.

The Doctor
04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
The coach has really put a lot of faith in Tutt this year and I for one think it's finally starting to pay off. Week by week he is having a greater impact on games and appears to be building confidence in taking the game on as evidenced by two passages today where he burnt off opponents.

He is still unsure when the ball is below his knees but I'm liking what I'm seeing. We need his pace and if he can just improve his finishing, we may have ourselves a pretty handy player. Seems to be nothing wrong with his workrate......big improvement in this area.

Reckon he's a keeper.....anyone disagree?

An interesting question AR and a fair one to ask.

Since his recruitment I have been in the "no he won't make it, wasted draft pick" group. I remain in the wasted draft pick group but retract a little from the no he won't make it part.

He still seems like the rabbit in the headlights at times and plays as though he hopes he does the right thing rather than being a confident bullish player who takes the game on knowing he knows what he's doing. hope you get my drift! but he has improved.

I think the MC is doing the right thing by giving him a decent go in the seniors. He in turn is doing his bit to earn his spot.

Overall I think he lacks the class to be a top line player. I see him as a player who will go up and down in the side and as we rise to power in a few years I doubt he will be a mainstay.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Tutt is growing in confidence week by week. I like his pace and ability to run into space. Does go missing for some periods of the game, But I think he will make it. Kudos to the coach for letting him run and back himself in. Does rush his kicks sometimes and must hit a target in the forward line if he can;t kick it himself.

Hotdog60
04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
I would like to think he will make it. Does the 50 games come into play, a player doesn't feel like he belongs until has at least 50 games under the belt. Tutt has 16 games so far.

always right
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
An interesting question AR and a fair one to ask.

Since his recruitment I have been in the "no he won't make it, wasted draft pick" group. I remain in the wasted draft pick group but retract a little from the no he won't make it part.

He still seems like the rabbit in the headlights at times and plays as though he hopes he does the right thing rather than being a confident bullish player who takes the game on knowing he knows what he's doing. hope you get my drift! but he has improved.

I think the MC is doing the right thing by giving him a decent go in the seniors. He in turn is doing his bit to earn his spot.

Overall I think he lacks the class to be a top line player. I see him as a player who will go up and down in the side and as we rise to power in a few years I doubt he will be a mainstay.

I'm not suggesting he is ever going to be "topline" but most on this board, including myself had him as a definite delisting for next season. I reckon he's bought himself at least another season with the improvement he's shown.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm not suggesting he is ever going to be "topline" but most on this board, including myself had him as a definite delisting for next season. I reckon he's bought himself at least another season with the improvement he's shown.

He certainly should be looked upon to be with the club next season but I wonder if he could have forced his way into the side if we didn't have the number of injuries we have experienced?

To me there is no spot in the forward line for him if Dahlhaus, Hunter and Hrovat play and I think he would struggle to get a defensive spot if Johannisen was still available.
Could he force his way into the midfield? I'm not so sure.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM
There are plenty of others I'd have ahead of him in the delist queue.

Have loved some of his work recently. Some outstanding defensive work early in the 1st quarter last week and some good moments again today. If he continues to have a crack and work on areas the coaching staff challenge him on he could easily be a 100+ gamer I hope.

Doc26
04-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Brendan was giving him and Lachie some praise in today's post match presser and for his future. With our dearth of outside runners, and our need for them, combined with the trajectory Jason would now appear to be on he will have another season to continue his development.

Not sure if it was picked up on the TV coverage but there was a passage of play in the last quarter, when most were spent, where Jason was sprinting harder than anyone into our open forward fifty to provide an option to Gia who had just taken a mark on the opposite flank with very few options forward of him. Gia didn't use the option but it was great to see Tutt working flat out with genuine pace to provide an option, as he should.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I am in the camp that says we still need to turn over a few at season end. A month ago I was of the view he had to do a lot to stay. I will hold off my judgement until seasons end. Signs are better, but still a while to go I would have thought.

Remi Moses
05-08-2013, 02:26 AM
He won't get delisted IMHO.
He still fumbles a bit for mine , but he has what we lack and that's run and carry
Needs to take responsibility when near the sticks as well.

FrediKanoute
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM

I had him as a definite for delisting. Has turned that around, but is still no certainty to make. I think he will make it, but be prepared for some poor games along the way.

MrMahatma
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
He's been good and his kicking has surprised me. Generally uses it well.

If he continues to improve at the rate he has in the past month we'll have a very good player.

Scorlibo
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
It's plain to see that he has what it takes. Pace, kicking skills, doesn't shirk the contest. Just a matter of getting games enough to put it all together in my opinion. I would like to see him off half back, with Cooney up forward.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
He adds a much needed commodity right now and that is pace. And he can kick.

As the commentators pointed a couple of times, he needs to work on how he handles being tackled. He has falen into the practice of going to ground as soon as he is tackled and all this does is give away a free kick.

That aside I think he is a good addition to the team and I can't see any reason why he could not play on a wing and use his pace to advantage. Like a number of others I had written him off but to his credit he has gone a long way to proving us wrong.

Ozza
05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
There is zero chance he will get delisted at years end - so anyone suggesting that is way off.

I like what he adds to the side - and he is still absolutely in his infancy as an AFL player. Lots to learn and has lapses in concentration - but nothing out of the ordinary for a player of (i'm guessing) less than 20 games.

Seems to have a real capacity to run...and obviously is a ball carrier and long kicker. I think he will certainly be around for a few seasons...whether its more than a few will depend on continued improvement.

Maddog37
05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Seems ok and is improving. Needs to stop dropping easy marks.

Not convinced just yet.....

bulldogtragic
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Watching he replay. He goes to ground at almost every tackle. Didn't notice it as much live. Has something to work on with the coaches.

Mofra
05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I would like to think he will make it. Does the 50 games come into play, a player doesn't feel like he belongs until has at least 50 games under the belt. Tutt has 16 games so far.
Fair point - the major issue with Tutt is that contesting for the ball seems to be a secondary reaction rather than instinctive. I'm not sure the competitive nature is easy to build on. He certainly has all the other tools to become an AFL footballer and has attributes we sorely need in the side.
He has a huge tank and is quite strong for his size. Games 25-50 will seal his fate but he is doing enough to keep his spot in the side as it stands.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Watching he replay. He goes to ground at almost every tackle. Didn't notice it as much live. Has something to work on with the coaches.

Could this be a problem with his core strength?

The Pie Man
05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed he consistently goes to ground when tackled - whether it's an attempt at evasion or just a lack of strength, he needs to shelve it.

Besides that, some occasional fumbles and inconsistent accumulation of the footy (he only had 13 tocuhes yesterday) he does now appear to be someone worth persisting with...for now.

We'll likely cut pretty deep* into list even if Tutt stays next year (which appears likely at this stage) so happy for him to be retained and given the chance.

*Well, that's worth more thought - as most of us 6 weeks ago probably had both Tutt & Grant in the delist pile. Hmmm

F'scary
05-08-2013, 01:42 PM
He has shown enough to be retained for next year. His run & carry, long kicking style is something to build on.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Tutty has improved a lot since the start of the year. Taking into account that he has only played 16 games and had his share of injury problems I think he is on track to make it.

The Underdog
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
What I have seen from on a couple of instances in the past couple of games which I've liked, is his ability to kick long, on the run, to the advantage of his forward. There are things to work on but also things to work with. Has definitely gained himself another year.

Ozza
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
What I have seen from on a couple of instances in the past couple of games which I've liked, is his ability to kick long, on the run, to the advantage of his forward. There are things to work on but also things to work with. Has definitely gained himself another year.

Yeah - his run and carry and then long pass to Koby Stevens in the first quarter was very good work. He also put in a clever short pass (sort of inside out) to Lachie Hunter for a goal in the last quarter.

Frogga12
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree with mofra. He probably has a place on our list with his continued development but if we draft another top liner, outside player he would probably struggle to maintain his spot. His tank and speed are an asset at the moment.

1eyedog
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
He certainly should be looked upon to be with the club next season but I wonder if he could have forced his way into the side if we didn't have the number of injuries we have experienced?

To me there is no spot in the forward line for him if Dahlhaus, Hunter and Hrovat play and I think he would struggle to get a defensive spot if Johannisen was still available.
Could he force his way into the midfield? I'm not so sure.

Can he provide more than Wood?

GVGjr
05-08-2013, 07:26 PM

I think so but his size means he needs some decent match-ups. Easton Wood on the other hand can play against taller guys if needed.
I'm not sure how good he is though

The Underdog
05-08-2013, 07:27 PM
I think so but his size means he needs some decent match-ups. Easton Wood on the other hand can play against taller guys if needed.

I know who I'd rather give the footy to. Wood definitely has more flexibility as a defender though.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
To compare Wood and Tutt is interesting. I've seen Wood do many many brave things, but perhaps not so many 'smart' things with the footy ( not insinuating he is dumb- a well spoken young man ) . Tutt is kind of his opposite in that regard. Does some clever things, but perhaps not as fearsome an opponent as Easton physically.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 09:12 PM
A lot of sydney players go to ground when they get tackled too, usually they draw in the back free kicks though, clearly he's just working on copying that technique

1eyedog
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Yes it's interesting. I drew the comparision because even though they bring different skill sets to the table I don't know if they can both be in the same team, perhaps they can post-Murphy. I agree with Wood having the ability to take on bigger opponents due to his strength and leap, kind of a smaller Dale Morris.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Besides that, some occasional fumbles and inconsistent accumulation of the footy (he only had 13 tocuhes yesterday) he does now appear to be someone worth persisting with...for now.

Not so sure it was the occasional fumble, when free he fumbled including taking the ball over the line, while when he got the ball under pressure was not able to break the tackle and instead went to ground.

The balance of what to like versus his current weakness is a very tight balance, he does seem favoured by the coaching staff so that will get him into next years list.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 09:44 PM
His dropped marks and fumbles are a confidence issue. Another preseason with a few kilos added and a sense of belonging and these should clear up.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2013, 01:54 AM
I've been a big critic.

Not convinced he will make it as he fumbles too often, isn't a great decision maker and isn't as strong over the ball as he needs to be.

However, what he has shown in the last few weeks is an appetite for using his pace. Having watched the Sydney game replay, he did OK -- some usual errors/fumbles, but his pace was useful a couple of times. When he uses this pace, it gives him a little more time to make a decision, and when he's afforded this extra time he's much more reliable by foot. He's kicked some lovely long balls to advantage in recent weeks.

I had him as a certainty to be delisted, but he's done enough for another year. I get the feeling he's more like a first year player as opposed to somebody nearing their fourth season, in terms of confidence/footy smarts. Whether he can keep improving enough to get there by game 50 (or so), it's difficult to tell.

mighty_west
06-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I've been a big critic.

Not convinced he will make it as he fumbles too often, isn't a great decision maker and isn't as strong over the ball as he needs to be.

However, what he has shown in the last few weeks is an appetite for using his pace. Having watched the Sydney game replay, he did OK -- some usual errors/fumbles, but his pace was useful a couple of times. When he uses this pace, it gives him a little more time to make a decision, and when he's afforded this extra time he's much more reliable by foot. He's kicked some lovely long balls to advantage in recent weeks.

I had him as a certainty to be delisted, but he's done enough for another year. I get the feeling he's more like a first year player as opposed to somebody nearing their fourth season, in terms of confidence/footy smarts. Whether he can keep improving enough to get there by game 50 (or so), it's difficult to tell.

Agree with all of that, for mine he gets another season for the main reason we need his outside run to compliment the in and under brigade, hopefully see out the rest of this season in the Dogs side and really start believing himself and grow with confidence, had a good pre season last year apparently, needs another big one.

Ghost Dog
06-08-2013, 10:27 AM

His size didn't stop him taking on Dean Cox! ;) Loved it how Cox assumed he had drawn the free, and it's like nah mate, hand over the footy. You just got out muscled by a midget.

Ovatheboarder
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Hears foot steps on a regular basis and doesn't bodyline 50/50 contests.

Adds speed and penetrating kicking but am surprised he even got a chance given he doesn't go close to fitting Maccas crack in first model.

Reckon he will get 1 more year but will go further down the pecking order next year.

F'scary
06-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Tutt's dimensions and playing style actually remind me a lot of Leigh Montagna of StK.

azabob
06-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Adds speed and penetrating kicking but am surprised he even got a chance given he doesn't go close to fitting Maccas crack in first model.

Reckon he will get 1 more year but will go further down the pecking order next year.

Yep, pretty much sums it up for me as well. However I think early he struggles with the contested stuff, but as the game progress so does his contested game.

always right
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM

This was a knock on him previously but I have seen no evidence of this trait this season. No softer or harder than most AFL players.

azabob
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM
This was a knock on him previously but I have seen no evidence of this trait this season. No softer or harder than most AFL players.

The way I see it is sometimes he thinks that split second too long about what to do, which means he hesistates and looks like he may be shirking the issue.

As others have said he is more often than not a deer in the headlights. The only time he looks truely comfortable is when he is running flat out with the footy in his hands.

Scorlibo
07-08-2013, 10:13 AM
The way I see it is sometimes he thinks that split second too long about what to do, which means he hesistates and looks like he may be shirking the issue.

As others have said he is more often than not a deer in the headlights. The only time he looks truely comfortable is when he is running flat out with the footy in his hands.

I saw him win some great contested ball early against the Swans, and I think generally he's been cracking in as hard as anyone else. What Tutty has over almost all of the rest of our list is a lot of fast twitch fibres. The guy has serious power, ala Cooney. I actually think he's one of the more talented younger players we have.

F'scary
07-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Better hamstrings.

Bulldog4life
07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I saw him win some great contested ball early against the Swans, and I think generally he's been cracking in as hard as anyone else. What Tutty has over almost all of the rest of our list is a lot of fast twitch fibres. The guy has serious power, ala Cooney. I actually think he's one of the more talented younger players we have.

Agree with that. Actually that is what Macca asked him to do better earlier in the year and he has been working on it and getting better over time.

LostDoggy
07-08-2013, 03:32 PM

X2. He's been much better for longer periods this year and he's done several nice things each game rather than the 1 or 2 we got last year. Think he is on the up.

anfo27
07-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Tutt's dimensions and playing style actually remind me a lot of Leigh Montagna of StK.

You're not alone there tin man, he definitely reminds me of Montagna.

Been pleased with most of what i have seen from Tutt. His biggest problem is his lack of belief in his own ability. He gets the ball sometimes & immediately looks to give the ball to a team mate instead of taking the responsibility of doing it himself. He has the speed & kicking skills to have a significant impact on games but is too concerned about stuffing up.

Once he starts to believe that he not only belongs but he can be a very damaging player i think we will start to see some significant improvement.

always right
08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
You're not alone there tin man, he definitely reminds me of Montagna.

Been pleased with most of what i have seen from Tutt. His biggest problem is his lack of belief in his own ability. He gets the ball sometimes & immediately looks to give the ball to a team mate instead of taking the responsibility of doing it himself. He has the speed & kicking skills to have a significant impact on games but is too concerned about stuffing up.

Once he starts to believe that he not only belongs but he can be a very damaging player i think we will start to see some significant improvement.

Signs that this is changing....evidenced by the way in which he ran away from McVeigh and delivered nicely to Stevens....and how he immediately played on in the third after marking. Unfortunately in the second example he kicked to the wrong side of Dickson, but I liked his intent.

azabob
10-06-2014, 03:52 PM
So where is Tutt at now?

Positives: He is tackling more and more, reliable shot at goal, is starting to use his pace effectively

Areas to improve: He still has the odd rabbit in the headlight moment, still room for improvement to become an 60m player, run 20 & kick 40m.

Overall I think he has improved on last year, but still a way to go. Hopefully we can bring more players in with a similar skill set to help him also improve.

bornadog
10-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I was really disappointed with him on the weekend. He had so many opportunities to make sure we were in the game and he blew it every single time. Will he make it, for me jury is still out. His biggest problem is he doesn't have football smarts.

Ozza
10-06-2014, 04:25 PM
I've said a fair few times that I like the traits he brings to the side. He is an improved player this year and works really hard.

Think his biggest issue (and am hearing what others have said about smarts also)....but its that he is a bit of a fumbler. The other night I thought Bontempelli's 'one grab' made him stand out, and Tutt's lack of 'one grab' hurt his game.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
He has improved, but honestly, he was coming from an extremely low base.

Has been poor the last two weeks - still has so many glaring errors in his game, even though he has tried to use his pace more effectively.

My opinion on whether or not he'll make it hasn't changed.

always right
10-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Play him for the rest of the season to see whether he improves.

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2014, 05:38 PM
I've said a fair few times that I like the traits he brings to the side. He is an improved player this year and works really hard.

Think his biggest issue (and am hearing what others have said about smarts also)....but its that he is a bit of a fumbler. The other night I thought Bontempelli's 'one grab' made him stand out, and Tutt's lack of 'one grab' hurt his game.

Spot on.

If he had clean hands he would be playing very well.

The Underdog
10-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Agree totally, unfortunately thought Bonts pace also made him stand out.

I think ideally Tutt will be a 25th-30th player in the squad but at the moment his pace is such an anomaly that it's tough to leave him out. I do really like his efforts to chase & tackle. Makes it easier to justify keeping him in the 22.

Remi Moses
10-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Agree totally, unfortunately thought Bonts pace also made him stand out.

I think ideally Tutt will be a 25th-30th player in the squad but at the moment his pace is such an anomaly that it's tough to leave him out. I do really like his efforts to chase & tackle. Makes it easier to justify keeping him in the 22.

So Bontempelli's not quick ( neither is a bloke he's compared to) Jury will deliberate until the end of August on Jason Tutt.
He is a little Edward Scissorhands when he takes possession, needs to become a one grabber and better decision maker( join the club).I'd continue playing him, and think the MC should make a statement this Thursday night by dropping Minson.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I've only seen him once live which was the VFL on ANZAC Day. Although his competition were poor, one thing I heard was how hard he was hitting opponents and arm slapping tackles. Not only did he look possessed at the contest, it was audible on the outer wing and I thought it was good.

But he still confuses me as a player. I'm not sure his personal game and the team game plan work to each others strengths. Ideally, I'd just like to see him play (wait for the howl downs :) ) like Nathan Eagleton. What many people didn't notice was that Eagle would have easily cover the most ground every game of any of our guys, he was a gut runner, and had speed like Tutty. But what Eagle gave away in personal defence he would make up for in offence, with his long kicking, inside 50's and long goals, most usually against Brisbane. Eagle seemed to have a licence to focus of attacking the game as his main priority, but running hard the other way too, but not to the defensive style Macca would want. I think we need to let some of Tutty's talent come out naturally and just give Tutty a licence to play to his strength. Let him turn attacker, let him play to his strengths and let his talent come out. If he can't perform with a licence to thrill so be it, but I think all AFL footballers have some degree of natural talent and flair. Some coaches allow it and even encourage natural talent to first and foremost, but it seems we are trying to focus our players to be dour defenders with a contested focus. I think it quells some of the individual brilliance players have to play for the team, im clearly no AFL coach, but I would just pick the most talented 22 and say 'see ball, get ball' and use every bit of the talent you got drafted with on the field. Clearly whatever we are doing isn't working, just let them play with a licence to impress and thrill and see what our boys can come up with...

Bulldog4life
16-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Congrats to young Tutty for getting the 5th most super coach points for the Doggies. First time he would have got 100 I would say. Adds a lot of run and carry as well as good tackling pressure now. He should be believing in himself now.

westdog54
16-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Belief in oneself is everything in football, especially for a player on the fringe like Tutty. To have gone back and slotted that last clutch goal to ice the game (lets be honest it wasn't the easiest kick) will do wonders for him.

always right
16-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Loved the play in the second quarter where Wallis handballed brilliantly to Tutt on the run for a goal. Almost anyone else on our team and it would have been a hospital handball. It illustrated one of the big reasons Tutt is playing....that ability to get separation from opponents in a brief moment.

Greystache
16-06-2014, 12:48 PM
We really need Tutt to make it. He has pace, good kicking skills, and can find the goals, something that is in short supply. We need to give him every opportunity. His competitive stuff has improved noticeably as well, even if it will never be a strength.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-06-2014, 03:01 PM
It was a good game from Tutty yesterday. I thought he had a bigger impact on the game than the stats suggest. He put his body on the line a few times and pressured well - you don't get stats for these acts, but it stopped Collingwood from whisking the ball away a number of times.

He's been able to really finish off his work this season too which is pleasing.

Long way to go in terms of making it, but credit where it's due - he has definitely improved.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 03:26 PM
It was a good game from Tutty yesterday. I thought he had a bigger impact on the game than the stats suggest. He put his body on the line a few times and pressured well - you don't get stats for these acts, but it stopped Collingwood from whisking the ball away a number of times.

He's been able to really finish off his work this season too which is pleasing.

Long way to go in terms of making it, but credit where it's due - he has definitely improved.

Also laid 5 tackles which is a big improvement.

lemmon
16-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Can't fault the kid really. Do I think he has enough skill to make it? I'm still in the probably not basket but he has worked tremendously hard, is just about the best runner at the club and has improved tremendously. While he keeps pressuring, tackling and running both ways I have no problems with him in the side.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Does a heap of work off the ball, chasing and trying to close down rebounding options in our front half that probably goes a bit unnoticed/off camera.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Right now on the scale of wingers or flankers in the past, he's probably just marginally behind the Farren Ray (when he played with us), Ray on the run from 50m was a guaranteed behind or on the full. I loved Eagleton and always will, so if he can get to that level, but with potentially with a better defensive game than I would be happy. He gut runs well, but Eagleton was the master. If he can finish like he did this week and get a more damaging long kick (like The Bald Eagle) then I think i'm happy enough with that. If Libba, Macrae, Griff and Bonts are getting 50 contested possies between them, I can live with someone getting much less contested footy if they can run, carry and finish. Hopefully the confidence from the weekend propels him even further.

Remi Moses
16-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Definite improvement in Jason's game.
He seems a little more self assured

Webby
16-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Tutt does remind me a bit of Eagleton in his early days with the Dogs. Remembering that Eagleton was a fairly maligned player in his early years with us – and that was on the back of three fairly complete seasons with Port.
It took Eagleton until 2004 until he really reached his potential with us. Remembering that, due to being a trade for Montgomery, the kid was marked quite hard by sections of our supporters. However with some confidence and some physical development, Eagleton became a very, very good player for us. At some point during the Brisbane game, Tutt just conjured up visions of Eagleton for me. Then it happened again yesterday.

I had a look at some stats and can see that in his fourth season of AFL footy (his first year with the Dogs), Eagleton averaged 13.6 touches per game, just under 1 goal per game and 1.3 tackles per game. (and that was AFL game 57-80 for Eagleton)
In Tutt’s 6 games this year, he’s averaged 14.5 touches, 1.5 goals and 4.8 tackles. (A marked improvement on his 11.3 touches, 0.45 goals and 1.45 tackles last year!) He’s not going too bad. (and that was AFL game 20-26 for Tutt)

For the record, Eagleton developed into a player who was one and a quarter stone heavier than Tutt’s current size. Eagleton plateaued in his 2nd, 3rd & 4th years with us. I honestly think our frustration with him (post Monty trade) knocked his confidence and enthusiasm. However he got through it and exploded into a fantastic player from his 5th year onwards. It turned out that his 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th 10th & 11th seasons with us were outstanding. He retired a 200+ game player for the club and can walk around WO any time he likes with his head held high.

Eagleton was 25 years of age before he took that 5th year step up. Tutt only recently turned 23. The kid will come good. Just wait and see. I reckon I saw signs a week or two ago and his numbers are way, way up on last year. We talk about McCartney not developing players, yet we seem to be blind to Tutt’s significant improvement. I find it all a bit unreasonable, to be honest. His confidence is building and I think he’s a guy who, once he realises he belongs, will really go after it. Give him a bit of patience.... Give him a break.

Webby
16-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Also laid 5 tackles which is a big improvement.

Well, it's actually not, BAD. It was a bee's dick above his season average of 4.8 per game. He works hard without the ball in hand. This is something he's not getting credit for from the average fan. The bloke's worked his backside off and is beginning to make big strides.

What more can we ask of him? He's won me over in the past couple if months. I say good on him and I hope he keeps going.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I love when people talk positively of Eagleton. It was pretty hard going being the The Bald Eagle no1 ticket holder, but I nominated him for our 2000-2100 Team of the Century here on WOOF (I don't know where the sticky went, anyhoo). He gave everything at his best he was awesome, but the sort of role he had meant it was easy to pot him. I love him still and hope that history judged him much better than at the time, with Port games and others, he played over 300 AFL games which has AFL life membership. I reckon he could be the most maligned 300 game player. So I'm glad to read all this Webby, and that the comparison with Tutt is good.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Well, it's actually not, BAD. It was a bee's dick above his season average of 4.8 per game. He works hard without the ball in hand. This is something he's not getting credit for from the average fan. The bloke's worked his backside off and is beginning to make big strides.

What more can we ask of him? He's won me over in the past couple if months. I say good on him and I hope he keeps going.

Lets not go over board, yes I agree he is improving every game but he needs to be more consistent and also to not panic when he has the ball. He also slams the ball on the foot when he should be looking for a better option.

He kicked two goals on the weekend including a clutch goal which was terrific.

Webby
16-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Lets not go over board, yes I agree he is improving every game but he needs to be more consistent and also to not panic when he has the ball. He also slams the ball on the foot when he should be looking for a better option.

He kicked two goals on the weekend including a clutch goal which was terrific.

Yeah it is good. However the point is, he's kicked two goals in 4 of the 6 games he's played this year. He had just under his average possessions yesterday and only half a tackle above his average. It was actually a pretty stock standard Tutt performance for 2014. What I'm saying is that yesterday was not a performance to get carried away with. He's consistently putting the runs on the board, yet, after a win, everyone seems to think he's played out of his skin!

It's amazing what a difference a win makes. He's been pretty good this year. Yesterday was no different. He's developing and it should be calmly acknowledged.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Yeah it is good. However the point is, he's kicked two goals in 4 of the 6 games he's played this year. He had just under his average possessions yesterday and only half a tackle above his average. It was actually a pretty stock standard Tutt performance for 2014. What I'm saying is that yesterday was not a performance to get carried away with. He's consistently putting the runs on the board, yet, after a win, everyone seems to think he's played out of his skin!

It's amazing what a difference a win makes. He's been pretty good this year. Yesterday was no different. He's developing and it should be calmly acknowledged.

The plus is, atm, if he wasn't in the side we'd likely be saying we miss Tutt's pace and the work he's been doing in games to date this season. This is a plus and s major step forward for his career and his value (which is still ultimately unknown) for us.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Yes agree on that.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Loved the play in the second quarter where Wallis handballed brilliantly to Tutt on the run for a goal. Almost anyone else on our team and it would have been a hospital handball. It illustrated one of the big reasons Tutt is playing....that ability to get separation from opponents in a brief moment.

Credit to Wallis who was able to put the handball in the right spot for Tutt to charge onto.

I was happy with Tutt's game, he's building and becoming more consistent with his ability to stay involved and impact a game. As others have mentioned, hopefully he's building confidence that he really belongs at the level.

GVGjr
16-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I think Easton Wood has been the biggest improver this as a player I had question marks over but Tutt's been very good as well.
I just hope that he has another level of improvement in him. Macca has set some standards and Tutt has been playing to them.

I'd really enjoy seeing him establish himself as a regular senior footballer.

F'scary
16-06-2014, 09:17 PM
The plus is, atm, if he wasn't in the side we'd likely be saying we miss Tutt's pace and the work he's been doing in games to date this season. This is a plus and s major step forward for his career and his value (which is still ultimately unknown) for us.

Kicking the sealer in the way that he did has got to give him heaps of confidence. (Mind you the pass to him by "Good Times" Bontempelli - that's what the name translates into English as - was something we have hardly seen all year.

Bulldog Revolution
17-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Sometimes a players career hangs on a knifes edge - where they may or may not make it.

And I often think that for certain players if they could just get a bit of luck at the right time it could make or break them, or if they could just take their chances it could snowball and that would be the difference for them making it or not.

Tutt is my kind of player - quick with good skills - keep in mind if I drafted for the dogs I'd pick 7 Lindsay Gilbee types each season

I've got a feeling that Tutt kicking that goal might have just changed the trajectory of his career. Id like to see him continue to improve his contested stuff but really back himself a bit more to take the game on. Loved the first of his two goals yesterday also.

Twodogs
17-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Thats twice this year that he's kicked the sealer. Was the other one against Richmonnd? I remember him giving it everything he had from 50 late in the game and it went through at goalpost height.

Dancin' Douggy
17-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Tutt does remind me a bit of Eagleton in his early days with the Dogs. Remembering that Eagleton was a fairly maligned player in his early years with us – and that was on the back of three fairly complete seasons with Port.
It took Eagleton until 2004 until he really reached his potential with us. Remembering that, due to being a trade for Montgomery, the kid was marked quite hard by sections of our supporters. However with some confidence and some physical development, Eagleton became a very, very good player for us. At some point during the Brisbane game, Tutt just conjured up visions of Eagleton for me. Then it happened again yesterday.

I had a look at some stats and can see that in his fourth season of AFL footy (his first year with the Dogs), Eagleton averaged 13.6 touches per game, just under 1 goal per game and 1.3 tackles per game. (and that was AFL game 57-80 for Eagleton)
In Tutt’s 6 games this year, he’s averaged 14.5 touches, 1.5 goals and 4.8 tackles. (A marked improvement on his 11.3 touches, 0.45 goals and 1.45 tackles last year!) He’s not going too bad. (and that was AFL game 20-26 for Tutt)

For the record, Eagleton developed into a player who was one and a quarter stone heavier than Tutt’s current size. Eagleton plateaued in his 2nd, 3rd & 4th years with us. I honestly think our frustration with him (post Monty trade) knocked his confidence and enthusiasm. However he got through it and exploded into a fantastic player from his 5th year onwards. It turned out that his 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th 10th & 11th seasons with us were outstanding. He retired a 200+ game player for the club and can walk around WO any time he likes with his head held high.

Eagleton was 25 years of age before he took that 5th year step up. Tutt only recently turned 23. The kid will come good. Just wait and see. I reckon I saw signs a week or two ago and his numbers are way, way up on last year. We talk about McCartney not developing players, yet we seem to be blind to Tutt’s significant improvement. I find it all a bit unreasonable, to be honest. His confidence is building and I think he’s a guy who, once he realises he belongs, will really go after it. Give him a bit of patience.... Give him a break.

Great post Webby, thanks for doing all that research

The Pie Man
17-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Thats twice this year that he's kicked the sealer. Was the other one against Richmonnd? I remember him giving it everything he had from 50 late in the game and it went through at goalpost height.

Snapped the last goal vs Melbourne - we'd probably secured the W at that stage, but that closed it out nicely.

Didn't see it happening for Jason - leaning towards a yes right now. Remaining calm under pressure is a huge asset - and taking on feedback/working on weaknesses is impressive as well. Right age group for us too.

Would still look at drafting some outside silk/speed with our 2nd pick at the very earliest next draft.

Greystache
17-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Snapped the last goal vs Melbourne - we'd probably secured the W at that stage, but that closed it out nicely.

Kicked a late sealer from 50m against GWS too after coming on as the sub if memory serves me.

LostDoggy
17-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Great post Dancin Douggy. Puts it into perspective. If Tutty keeps on the upwards gradient as he has done this year, he should be in our best 22 in years to come.

azabob
17-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Kicked a late sealer from 50m against GWS too after coming on as the sub if memory serves me.

Yep, it serves you well.

The Pie Man
17-06-2014, 04:41 PM
So he's a bit of a last quarter finisher - good thing to be

bornadog
16-10-2014, 03:02 PM
What now?

always right
16-10-2014, 03:03 PM
What now?

PSD I imagine

lemmon
16-10-2014, 03:04 PM
PSD I imagine

It really has been a huge list turnover, we're going to be picking very late in the draft

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't rate him. Push him into the PSD, hopefully someone takes him before our pick, then maybe Membrey slips to is?

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 03:07 PM
It really has been a huge list turnover, we're going to be picking very late in the draft

We will use our 5 early picks plus we add Cordy, Jong and Redpath. That's 8 picks. A PSD pick might stay open.

Greystache
16-10-2014, 03:08 PM
He's out of contract and hasn't been offered an extension with us, so he'll be delisted and has to hope someone will pick him up as a delisted free agent or in the PSD.

Doc26
16-10-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't rate him. Push him into the PSD, hopefully someone takes him before our pick, then maybe Membrey slips to is?

St.Kilda have committed taking Membrey with their pick 1 in the PSD.

whythelongface
16-10-2014, 03:21 PM
He's out of contract and hasn't been offered an extension with us, so he'll be delisted and has to hope someone will pick him up as a delisted free agent or in the PSD.

Think he will be a good pick up in the PSD for a team that requires a depth player. Good luck to the kid wish him well.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 03:32 PM
St.Kilda have committed taking Membrey with their pick 1 in the PSD.

Just saw that, damn.

Ozza
16-10-2014, 05:09 PM
My preference would have been to keep Tutt. We still lack run and carry. Tutt might not get a game at our full strength - but I think he is worthy of a spot in the squad.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Delist.

He is and always will be terrible at AFL level.

Let's keep trimming - Pearce, Austin and Greenwood next.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Delist.

He is and always will be terrible at AFL level.

Let's keep trimming - Pearce, Austin and Greenwood next.

Pearce is the only one on the main list and unless Austin or Greenwood are promoted they won't be with us

anfo27
16-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Maybe when a new coach is appointed he may want to keep Tutt. We have lost 2 midfielders from our best 22 so that will allow Tutt some more opportunities possibly.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Maybe when a new coach is appointed he may want to keep Tutt. We have lost 2 midfielders from our best 22 so that will allow Tutt some more opportunities possibly.

I wonder if he is regretting his decision now.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Pearce is the only one on the main list and unless Austin or Greenwood are promoted they won't be with us

I know, but I would be extremely disappointed if we decided to upgrade Austin or keep Pearce for another year - which may be possibilities given how many we've already cut.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 06:30 PM
I know, but I would be extremely disappointed if we decided to upgrade Austin or keep Pearce for another year - which may be possibilities given how many we've already cut.

At least Pearce is still only 20, but can he play???

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I wonder if there is an idea of moving a player to the rookie list? Not saying Pearce but maybe someone

SlimPickens
16-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Thought to tell, had a wretched year with injuries.

azabob
16-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I wonder if there is an idea of moving a player to the rookie list? Not saying Pearce but maybe someone

Where is Josh Prudden at? Could he be an option? He is highly rated by some on this board.

He and Pearce have both had shocking runs with injuries.

bulldogsman
16-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Where is Josh Prudden at? Could he be an option? He is highly rated by some on this board.

He and Pearce have both had shocking runs with injuries.

Re Pearce I wouldn't call it a shocking run of injuries. He's still managed to play 43 VFL/AFL games in 3 years.

Prudden is still contracted, so Pearce should be the one that get's moved to the rookie list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's the only one out of contract apart from the rookies and Tutt.