PDA

View Full Version : 2013 List Management

Pages : 1 [2]

Bulldog4life
04-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Hoping Addison goes or delisted. He is a battler of the old image of Footscray who would struggle to get a game elsewhere. We have a couple other similar strugglers but they are seen as clubs faves ...... so we will have to wait.

Who are they Peter?

Bulldog Joe
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Vez had the same issues at Sydney as their fans will attest. He did everything he could to improve on the the fact that he was blowing up. And no amount of training / trying new things to overcome this condition worked for him. He is what he is.

I just don't accept this.

I have been involved with state level athletics in the past and the main issue is attitude. This relates to having the determination to push through regardless. Pain is a barrier, but the best at anything push through and move to new levels.

If you lack pace you need to learn to run for longer. If you can't develop the endurance then you had better improve your pace. If you cannot do either well there is no place for you in elite sport.

There was no better example of attitude than the chase by Minson for about 60 metres on (I think) Dean Kent in the 1st quarter on Sunday. Big Will was absolutely stuffed but he did not give up against a quicker man. He needed a bit of recovery time but just got on with it and influenced the game. I just don't see how Veszpremi couldn't bring that attitude.

When you rely purely on ability you will not make it at the top of anything.

I was absolutely against bringing Veszpremi to the club when we got him and moving him on was the easiest decision in the list management field.

mjp
04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
I am sick of picking up fringe players like that for key positions. Lets go after a big fish
(I don't know who that would be :D), someone in their prime and whack a big paycheck in front of them.

Good player and a pretty high draft pick with a couple of years at Geelong under his belt? Well worth a gamble.

LostDoggy
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
I just don't accept this.

I have been involved with state level athletics in the past and the main issue is attitude. This relates to having the determination to push through regardless. Pain is a barrier, but the best at anything push through and move to new levels.

If you lack pace you need to learn to run for longer. If you can't develop the endurance then you had better improve your pace. If you cannot do either well there is no place for you in elite sport.

There was no better example of attitude than the chase by Minson for about 60 metres on (I think) Dean Kent in the 1st quarter on Sunday. Big Will was absolutely stuffed but he did not give up against a quicker man. He needed a bit of recovery time but just got on with it and influenced the game. I just don't see how Veszpremi couldn't bring that attitude.

When you rely purely on ability you will not make it at the top of anything.

I was absolutely against bringing Veszpremi to the club when we got him and moving him on was the easiest decision in the list management field.

Have you knowledge that his attitude was less than it should have been? Or could it be that he just doesn't have the capacity to not blow up?

bornadog
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
The problem with the big fish is they cost a lot - generally over market rates.
As much as we're going to be an "active player" in trade period, we've been flagged as a "draft & develop" type club and I'm glad we will be.

There doesn't seem to be too much on offer this year anyway, although post-finals the top 8 sides will be more likely to flag thier intentions.

If that is the case, I prefer to recruit in the ND and forget about players from other clubs.

bornadog
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Good player and a pretty high draft pick with a couple of years at Geelong under his belt? Well worth a gamble.

If he is good, I doubt Geelong would want to get rid of him.

Happy Days
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
If he is good, I doubt Geelong would want to get rid of him.

Tim Callan! DJ! Charlie Gardiner! Henry Playfair! Geelong off cuts are AWESOME, can't crack the best 22 because of their insane, unparalleled depth, and always work out!

:rolleyes:

bornadog
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
duplicate

bornadog
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Tim Callan! DJ! Charlie Gardiner! Henry Playfair! Geelong off cuts are AWESOME, can't crack the best 22 because of their insane, unparalleled depth, and always work out!

spot on :D

Mofra
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
If that is the case, I prefer to recruit in the ND and forget about players from other clubs.
In the main yes - last we we spend SFA and managed quite a few games out of that lot while picking up a solid crop of kids I'm expecting much of the same.

Given our success with rookie picks there are clearly some late gems to be found.

Bulldog Joe
04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Have you knowledge that his attitude was less than it should have been? Or could it be that he just doesn't have the capacity to not blow up?

It is relatively easy to see that Veszpremi let himself down.

I did have an opportunity to talk to him at a function in his first year at the club and he stated that his lack of success at Sydney was about the coaching staff not giving him opportunities.

This is typical of someone failing to take responsibility for themselves. It appeared to me then that the penny had not dropped for him.

I could add more of my observation of him but it won't add anything to the debate.

bornadog
04-09-2013, 05:12 PM
It is relatively easy to see that Veszpremi let himself down.

I did have an opportunity to talk to him at a function in his first year at the club and he stated that his lack of success at Sydney was about the coaching staff not giving him opportunities.

This is typical of someone failing to take responsibility for themselves. It appeared to me then that the penny had not dropped for him.

I could add more of my observation of him but it won't add anything to the debate.

At the end of the day he wasn't good enough to play AFL. Good luck to him whatever he decides.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Sounds increasingly likely that Crameri will remain a Bomber. Who then becomes our main forward target? Im thinking we're better off drafting a tall than going for someone like Gumbleton

bornadog
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Sounds increasingly likely that Crameri will remain a Bomber. Who then becomes our main forward target? Im thinking we're better off drafting a tall than going for someone like Gumbleton

Essendon hope to secure key Bombers Tom Bellchambers, Stewart Crameri and Tayte Pears (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/essendon-hoping-to-secure-key-bombers-tom-bellchambers-stewart-crameri-and-tayte-pears/story-e6frf36u-1226710688059#.UibRpzbiofw)

mjp
04-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Do you know the player? Played senior footy - senior finals - at 17 before being injured in his 18th year. Good player in the VFL grand final last year...

I don't get the negativity about a player who you basically don't seem to be at all familiar with.

The Underdog
04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Anyone else for a big game of jump to conclusions?
There's enough hearsay and circumstantial evidence in this thread to get the defendant off.

Remi Moses
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Never seen him so I can't pass comment on his capabilities.
The only question I'd pose is that with Hawkins moving like he needs a Zimmer frame, why isn't he getting senior time? Pretty reasonable to ask

bornadog
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Do you know the player? Played senior footy - senior finals - at 17 before being injured in his 18th year. Good player in the VFL grand final last year...

I don't get the negativity about a player who you basically don't seem to be at all familiar with.

I don't think its about whether he is any good or not. I know you are better skilled at assessing that than most of us. In my case, I think we won't get him because if he is good, Geelong will be reluctant to let him go. I guess we can only try.

Happy Days
04-09-2013, 05:57 PM

He actually looks promising based on his VFL form this year, and if I recall there was some serious hype around draft time, so yes, I am a little familiar with him.

My point was more about just assuming he is a potential gun based on not exposed form but simply because he plays for Geelong.

Twodogs
04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Andrew Wills.

Twodogs
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Steven Lunn.

KT31
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Peter Steet

Maddog37
04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Brodie Moles

The Underdog
04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Matty Robbins...oh, sorry

W W Biscuit
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Ken Newland

Twodogs
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Bluey Hampshire.

ledge
04-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Billy Goggin and Brendan McCartney

Mofra
05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
My point was more about just assuming he is a potential gun based on not exposed form but simply because he plays for Geelong.
Has anyone said get him simply because he plays for Geelong?

He's kicked a few bags at VFL level this year and is the mid lead up forward playing a Crameri type role, one we've publically said we're on the hunt for. We'd be negligent in not asking the question as he's the type of player we're tryign to target, and may be searching for senior opportunity.

Greystache
05-09-2013, 10:41 AM
He's kicked a few bags at VFL level this year and is the mid lead up forward playing a Crameri type role, one we've publically said we're on the hunt for. We'd be negligent in not asking the question as he's the type of player we're tryign to target, and may be searching for senior opportunity.

36 goals in 11 games this year which is pretty impressive, including bags of 6, 5, and 6 in his last 6 games. Not great defensively however from all reports.

Mofra
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
36 goals in 11 games this year which is pretty impressive, including bags of 6, 5, and 6 in his last 6 games. Not great defensively however from all reports.
Are his tackle numbers available?
Defensive pressure in the F50 is something that has improved this year and seems to be a Macca non-negotiable.

always right
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Alan (Dizzy) Lynch

Happy Days
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Has anyone said get him simply because he plays for Geelong?

It was meant to be a joke, but I'll bite.

If his VFL form is as good as it appears (there has been some flat track bullying in there as well), then why hasn't he been able to displace the ghost of Tom Hawkins, an out of form Podsiadly, get games ahead of Mitch Brown or George Burbury, or sneak into the side when any of these players are missing through injury, suspension or non-selection?

bornadog
05-09-2013, 12:10 PM
It was meant to be a joke, but I'll bite.

If his VFL form is as good as it appears (there has been some flat track bullying in there as well), then why hasn't he been able to displace the ghost of Tom Hawkins, an out of form Podsiadly, get games ahead of Mitch Brown or George Burbury, or sneak into the side when any of these players are missing through injury, suspension or non-selection?

Do we want another 190cm player or a 195cm plus?

Mofra
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Do we want another 190cm player or a 195cm plus?
I'd rather talent than size

Greystache
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Are his tackle numbers available?
Defensive pressure in the F50 is something that has improved this year and seems to be a Macca non-negotiable.

17 in 11 games, so average of 1.5 per game.

The coaches notes on some of his games have referred to his defensive side being something he's trying to work on. So I assume when he was drafted it was non-existent.

Twodogs
05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Alec Eason.

Mofra
05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
17 in 11 games, so average of 1.5 per game.

The coaches notes on some of his games have referred to his defensive side being something he's trying to work on. So I assume when he was drafted it was non-existent.
Wouldn't be unheard of for a junior forward - hard to tell by stats but it seems enough to work with.
No doubt we'll be blindsided by someone from left field come trade week.

bulldogsman
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-05/docherty-decision-imminent

Looks like Sam Docherty might be leaving. I was a big fan of his in his draft year and I think he's exactly the kind of half back we need.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Looks like Sam Docherty might be leaving. I was a big fan of his in his draft year and I think he's exactly the kind of half back we need.
Would cost a bit though. Worth it in your estimation?

divvydan
05-09-2013, 06:25 PM

I've liked what I've seen of Docherty in the latter part of this season for Brisbane. Had hip surgery shortly after he was drafted which probably puts him a preseason behind most his age.

Given he was pick 12 two years ago and is clearly improving given he late season form, he's likely to be valued somewhere between our first two picks which makes it slightly difficult to try and get him.

bulldogsman
05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Would cost a bit though. Worth it in your estimation?

May have lost a bit of value, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Brisbane. Happy to use our 2nd pick plus a fringe player.