PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned- Round 20

Greystache
10-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Here we go again, once the match against the Blues is completed post the three things you've learned as a result of the game.

Be constructive but be honest.

EasternWest
10-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Tom Campbell has shown more in the last two games than Cordy has shown at all.

Tom Young continues to impress, he's also a bit quicker than I thought he was.

Jones' inability to assert dominance over Bootsma was disappointing.

GVGjr
10-08-2013, 08:52 PM
1) Brendan McCartney keeps his promises and we have had a very good 2nd half of the season
2) Jarrad Grant is playing his best football
3) Roughead hasn't slowed down as I expected in the 2nd half of the season.

westbulldog
10-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Jarrad Grant is finally showing how skillful he is.
Daniel Cross could well continue next year based on his work today.
On the balance of play today, we were a 9 goal better team than Carlton.

Bulldog4life
10-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Mascca is a great teacher and a very good coach.

Tommy Young gets better and better and still qualifies for the NAB Rising Star.

We had 13 players today with less than 60 games AFL experience.

Greystache
10-08-2013, 09:17 PM
1. The refresh might actually just be a refresh

2. Mitch Wallis will simply find a way to make it at AFL level. Incredible character.

3. No one will want to play us at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
- McCartney is proving me wrong. Holding true to all his promises; looks like a genius right now!

- Young is a great pick-up with a lot of footy ahead of him. I keep forgetting he's 21; he's growing in confidence every week and looks close to the best of our discard pick-ups, and that's saying something, I really like Stevens (and Goodes).

- My man crush on Grant has been restored! On a more serious note, this is why I've always been a fan and defended him. He's almost unlike any other player in the game.

Remi Moses
10-08-2013, 09:41 PM
3. Mccartney ( the players have bought in ) simple
2 . Watching them leave early
1. J.Grant, just wow

Remi Moses
10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Mascca is a great teacher and a very good coach.

Tommy Young gets better and better and still qualifies for the NAB Rising Star.

We had 13 players today with less than 60 games AFL experience.

I look at that every week. We've 14 to 15 on occasions

bornadog
10-08-2013, 09:52 PM
* Cooney is still all class and we need to sign him up now.

* Cross is still a very good player

* Confidence and believing in your self is everything

LostDoggy
10-08-2013, 11:11 PM
1. I love beating Carlton.
2. I love beating Carlton.
3. I love killing their season.

w3design
10-08-2013, 11:11 PM
we've officially bottomed out.

hello final 2014.

may need to tank one game or two to hold on to pick 4.

Doc26
10-08-2013, 11:17 PM
may need to tank one game or two to hold on to pick 4.

Hey zucvv, welcome to the Bulldogs online fan forum. I believe you've mistakenly come to the wrong site. I suggest you try:

Demonland Chat Forums (http://demonland.com/forums/)

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Grant has changed and revitalized the forward line.
Dahlhaus now back to his very best and showing what an important cog in the wheel he is.
Tutt came on as the sub and showed the value of real pace.
A special mention to Wallis who in such a short space of time has become an integral part of an impressive midfield that also boasts Minson Griffen Cooney and Liberatore as standouts.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Grant has changed and revitalized the forward line.
Dahlhaus now back to his very best and showing what an important cog in the wheel he is.
Tutt came on as the sub and showed the value of real pace.
A special mention to Wallis who in such a short space of time has become an integral part of an impressive midfield that also boasts Minson Griffen Cooney and Liberatore as standouts.

A better-looking Cameron Ling?

Twodogs
11-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Mitch Wallis has quick hands.
Tom Young iOS the best #31 since Kelvin Templeton?
I really love beating Carlton.

Dry Rot
11-08-2013, 02:01 AM
May I post an honourable mention for Mick Malthouse post match.

Many other coaches would have banged on about injured players being unavailable for selection, and more importantly the impact of losing 3 or 4 during the game and no bench.

Not Mick - dismissed that up front and stated that we outplayed them in several areas and deserved to win by more, had we kicked straight. IIRC he complimented our game several times.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2013, 02:17 AM
1. We're a better side than I think we even realise. The potential and rate of improvement has been dramatic. We can play finals footy next year if a few things go our way.

2. Tom Young is a very, very good footballer. In 3 years time he may be one of our best, most important and underrated players.

3. Bad kicking is STILL bad football. We need to get better reward for effort than we managed today to become a top tier side.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 03:10 AM
I'm amazed how good Young is. Can't believe Collingwood traded him but hello mr young and welcome sir!
Roughead on fire is an absolute joy to watch. Dominated the second half and owned Henderson
Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat, Talia, Smith didn't play tonight and they are all awesome as well (or have the potential to be). Just saying :)

One more, one more...

Up yours bluebaggers!!!!! Lots of empty seats with 15 minutes to go :)

Dry Rot
11-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Up yours bluebaggers!!!!!

The new Ninethmond?

Remi Moses
11-08-2013, 04:37 AM
I'm amazed how good Young is. Can't believe Collingwood traded him but hello mr young and welcome sir!
Roughead on fire is an absolute joy to watch. Dominated the second half and owned Henderson
Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat, Talia, Smith didn't play tonight and they are all awesome as well (or have the potential to be). Just saying :)

One more, one more...

Up yours bluebaggers!!!!! Lots of empty seats with 15 minutes to go :)

Thirteen under 60 games tonight . Very pleasing
I've never seen a stadium empty out quicker:p

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Thirteen under 60 games tonight . Very pleasing
I've never seen a stadium empty out quicker:p

Our lot clear out just as quickly, I'm afraid.

always right
11-08-2013, 11:04 AM

It's hard to tell when there are so few at the game to start with.

As for the Carlton faithful who left early, it reminded me of that final we won against Collingwood. One of life's more beautiful sights.

Twodogs
11-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I watched the game from a cafe in West Footscray on the big screen. My dad pointed out all the empty seats when the ball went out of bounds with about 10 minutes still to play. It was all left to play for at that stage but the Carlton supporters had given up.

kruder
11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
1 We are building a team and a game style which makes us hard to play against and more importantly suits finals football. Macca had to over emphasise in his first 18 months in his role about contested football and defence first mentality as it was not second nature to our senior players let alone our young players. It has now enabled us to focus on ball movement etc as we are building a two way midfield.

2. Recruitment is key. 2012 will go down as one a the best in recent history. Who would of thought Young would add value like he has? Stevens is a pure Cross replacement while he kids all look to be best 22 players in the future.
3. Grant what else can you say about the kid? Lets hope he continues as it looks like he penny has dropped, was sensational last night.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
1. Grant has made a huge difference to the forward line with his ability to swoop on the loose ball at pace and then get space to dish off by hand or foot.

2. We stopped running late in the 3rd quarter with a number of spectators ball watching. In these moments we look like quite brittle. Tiredness as a result of the game style we play?

3. Macca is on the right path with getting people into the club who are of great character. This is why so many have bought into his plan and are so eager to improve. For me, it follows that we should be aiming to snare as many quality youngsters of character that we can in the national draft both this year and next.

Remi Moses
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM

All supporters leave early, but they were queuing up in the aisles to leave.
I've never seen that.
Fans usually trickle out , but not in drives like that.

w3design
12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey zucvv, welcome to the Bulldogs online fan forum. I believe you've mistakenly come to the wrong site. I suggest you try:

Demonland Chat Forums (http://demonland.com/forums/)

ok then. ;) lets win the remaining 3 for Griff to win Brownlow.

Raw Toast
12-08-2013, 06:33 PM
1. Wood might have a good future (hopefully with us), body permitted - he's been struggling to find a role apart from that blinder he played for a half against the Pies last year, but he was in everything early on, impacting contests with skill and excellent timing. Yes, he missed a couple of goals (one easy, one hard), but I really enjoyed his work and he gave the impression he knew what he was doing, which is harder than it seems!

2. Cross might be able to reinvent himself as a defensive half-forward - I rate Kade Simpson and Crossy smashed him, almost doubling his possessions. Again, missed a couple of shots that were not that forgivable, but other than that had a very nice game. Not sure if he can play in the same team as Boyd, but if he can shut down playmakers like Simpson then he should be able to extend his career.

3. I loved Grant's work at the centre bounces. Hadn't realised he could do it, but flashed into a couple of contests from nowhere like a road runner and had the ball moving our way before Carlton players knew what had hit them.

westdog54
13-08-2013, 09:16 PM
1. Bad kicking is still bad football, even when you win comfortably.
2. We'll have a scary good forward line in 2-3 years.
3. Our physicality and workrate for a developing team is astronomical.

Remi Moses
13-08-2013, 09:30 PM
ok then. ;) lets win the remaining 3 for Griff to win Brownlow.

Still want to hold into pick 4. Gold Coast still have Stkilda and GWS.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Hold on to pick four? Ask Richard Tambling about the value of pick four. :eek:
The only way for a team to improve itself is to do its best to win games of football, as many as possible, at all times... then, when the season is over, do its best with the picks it gets. Anything else is contemptible. I'd be happy for us to leave that to Carlton and Melbourne.

westdog54
14-08-2013, 08:16 AM

We didn't do too bad with pick 5 last year.

Or in 2007.

Just sayin...

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 10:23 AM
We didn't do too bad with pick 5 last year.

Or in 2007.

Just sayin...

There are 18 teams in the competition. It means (theoretically) we are still ahead of 75% of the comp. Yeah, GWS, Melbourne, St Kilda etc might take the very best, but they can't always keep them all — the GWS/Suns free agency, when it comes, is going to be a gold mine for the rest of the league.

Pick 5/6 is fine. As I said in another post, Geelong haven't had better than pick 7 for nearly 20 years.

bornadog
14-08-2013, 10:56 AM
As I said in another post, Geelong haven't had better than pick 7 for nearly 20 years.

How many freebie father sons did they get that would be considered in the top 1 to 5?

chef
14-08-2013, 11:03 AM
How many freebie father sons did they get that would be considered in the top 1 to 5?

One I think, Hawkins?

KT31
14-08-2013, 11:06 AM
One I think, Hawkins?

Ablett ?

soupman
14-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Ablett ?

Was rated around an early 3rd round pick at the time of his drafting, which is what they paid.

chef
14-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Ablett ?

He wasn't considered to be a high draft pick at the time.

Twodogs
14-08-2013, 11:20 AM

One I think, Hawkins?

Matthew Scarlett.

Greystache
14-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Matthew Scarlett.

Tim Callan :D

chef
14-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Matthew Scarlett.

He wasn't rated a 1-5 pick at the time of drafting was he?

Sedat
14-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Marc Woolnough was a F/S pick in the same year as Matthew Scarlett and was the higher rated of the two at the time. Both were highly touted from memory.

Twodogs
14-08-2013, 02:49 PM
They had Larry Donohue's son for a couple of years after taking him under the F/S rule.

Twodogs
14-08-2013, 02:52 PM
He wasn't rated a 1-5 pick at the time of drafting was he?

No. GAJ was always rated as an early pick during his TAC cup career though. I think.

chef
14-08-2013, 02:53 PM
No. GAJ was always rated as an early pick during his TAC cup career though. I think.

Pretty sure he was rated a third round pick.

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Ablett wasn't considered a high draft pick at the time?
He was a star junior despite what he says, like his early afl career he was just a forward not a midfielder because he didn't work hard on his fitness.

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I only learned one thing this round and that is to next time check whether it is a milestone birthday before accepting a dinner invitation. Went to what I thought was a 40th which turned out to be a 42nd so I could've gone to the footy instead. :(

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I only learned one thing this round and that is to next time check whether it is a milestone birthday before accepting a dinner invitation. Went to what I thought was a 40th which turned out to be a 42nd so I could've gone to the footy instead. :(

Footy was finished by 7.30
You could have attended both.

Twodogs
15-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure he was rated a third round pick.

Only played 1 year at TAC level but played for Vic Country at the championships.