13-08-2013, 06:45 PM
More to come...

SlimPickens
13-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Very surprised if that is the case.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Very surprised if that is the case.
All networks and about 100 journos all tweeting it.

chef
13-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. Very average coach IMO.

SlimPickens
All networks and about 100 journos all tweeting it.

Ruthless business.

Greystache
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-sack-coach-michael-voss-20130813-2ru9b.html

Ghost Dog
13-08-2013, 07:19 PM
By gee he oversaw some upsets though. That comeback against Geelong was sensational.

GVGjr
13-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Smells like a Lyon to Freo scenario

Remi Moses
13-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Gotta be a big fish coming.
Paul Roos?
The Fevola debacle hurt Voss big time

Dry Rot
13-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Smells like a Lyon to Freo scenario

This. Paul Roos's name is always bandied around at this point.

Big surprise to me - thought Voss was getting some real improvement out of them.

GVGjr
13-08-2013, 07:45 PM
This. Paul Roos's name is always bandied around at this point.

Big surprise to me - thought Voss was getting some real improvement out of them.

Won the preseason comp and the Lions aren't out of the mix to play finals if Essendon lose points. It should become clearer pretty soon.

Tough old gig isn't it?

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Rodney Eade?

azabob
13-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Rodney Eade?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Hotdog60
13-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Won the preseason comp and the Lions aren't out of the mix to play finals if Essendon lose points. It should become clearer pretty soon.

Tough old gig isn't it?

It would be really funny if they do get in the eight and win the Grand Final. Do you think they would do a back flip.:D

GVGjr
13-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Rodney Eade?

Not without a chance. I believe Brett Ratten would be a good coach as well.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Beautiful timing

westdog54
13-08-2013, 08:46 PM
12 months ago I would have understood. Why now?

Club must surely have someone lined up.

Greystache
13-08-2013, 08:49 PM
12 months ago I would have understood. Why now?

Club must surely have someone lined up.

He had a contact last year, he's out of contact in 3 weeks.

Hotdog60
13-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Is it a sacking? He's contract is not being renewed. We did the same to Eade.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Eddie McGuire saying AFL giving Brisbane $3.5million, and would have approved sacking...

Why can't we get $3.5million???

Ghost Dog
13-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't have thought so.

Bomber Thompson and James Hird might be looking for a gig soon.

The Underdog
13-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Bomber Thompson and James Hird might be looking for a gig soon.

Voss should have implemented an illegal supplements program. Fans and club might have rallied around him.

bornadog
13-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Yes not a sacking, just not renewing his contract.

GVGjr
13-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Normally it's an over reaction to say a coach has been sacked when in fact the contract has simply not been renewed but I think the difference here is that there appears to already be someone else in the mix. If that is the case, then Voss has been sacked.

In my opinion Eade wasn't sacked, the position was opened up for candidates to apply.

bornadog
14-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I think the difference here is that there appears to already be someone else in the mix. If that is the case, then Voss has been sacked.

Talk of Roos a possible as he was spoken to by Brisbane earlier in the year. If I was Roos, Brisbane would be more palatable than Melbourne.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Must say, I was shocked to learn of this tonight. Brisbane haven't had a great year but I feel they have some good young talent there now and look like they can move up the ladder over the next few years.

As others have suggested, it seems as though there must be another arrangement in place - that's the only way I can see the sense in the decision.

Could Vossy be someone worth looking at for an assistant role?

comrade
14-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Could be time to swoop on some disgruntled Brisbane players. I'm sure plenty of them idolised Vossy and would be pretty upset he's been given the arse.

Ghost Dog
14-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Roos fits with Brisbane. The old Fitzroy connection.

mighty_west
14-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Reports up here that there was a risk of a mass player walkout had Brissy not sacked Voss.

Ozza
14-08-2013, 09:47 AM

The battling club he walked out on.....

Go_Dogs
14-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Reports up here that there was a risk of a mass player walkout had Brissy not sacked Voss.

Interesting stuff.
From the reports the fans aren't quite as happy with the decision - I guess there's going to be more to this story emerge over the coming days/weeks as if the supporters are off side, the club may need to make more public the reasons behind the decision, although they appear to loathe to comment too much because of the status at which Vossy is held at the club.

azabob
14-08-2013, 09:59 AM

The battling club he walked out on.....

Don't let the facts get in the way of the feel good story...

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Interesting stuff.
From the reports the fans aren't quite as happy with the decision - I guess there's going to be more to this story emerge over the coming days/weeks as if the supporters are off side, the club may need to make more public the reasons behind the decision, although they appear to loathe to comment too much because of the status at which Vossy is held at the club.

Fans are normally like that about a sacking. You'll get 50% applaud it, and 50% claim they've thrown out the baby.

Eade to McCartney rings a bell — we're still talking about it now.

mighty_west
14-08-2013, 10:08 AM
http://m.foxsports.com.au/story/1226696733792

KT31
14-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Interestingly Roos mentioned Fitzroy a couple of times on the TV the other night and I mention to my Pup that its odd he was not using Swan references.

mjp
14-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Eade was sacked. Voss was sacked. I think the whole 'we just didn't renew his contract' thing is a lot of bunkum...from a footy perspective - where coaches have contracts - it is actually the WORST time to be sacked. Your club is telling you (and everyone) that they gave you every chance and you simply weren't up to it. Further, you miss out on the whole 'still getting paid but no longer working' thing that most sacked coaches get to console themselves with.

What I don't understand is why they felt so compelled to tell him now. I suspect it was because in the event the team DID win their final three (3) games then 'selling' the sacking to the members (do the Lions have members) would have been even tougher. "Let's do it now - that way, it will be less uncomfortable if we start winning" seems to be the only reason.

Reading between the lines it would seem that they have already determined that there is another option available. I hope that isn't the case. I hope that the board simply decided that after four years of watching Voss coach from day-to-day they knew he wasn't the man to take them forward and therefore they have decided to go in another direction. Getting rid of one coach because you think you can get 'someone else' is a fatally flawed approach. The coach you have is either right for you or he isn't - make the decision based on his actions not on what you think someone else might do. Because if you target someone as a replacement and it doesn't work out, then what do you do? I guess if you are Carlton, you start talking about rebuilds!

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 02:14 PM

This has been the feeling I have received here in Brissy myself. It has never really worked, and pretty much all Lions fans i know have been saying this year its time for him to go.
This really didn't come as a surprise to me.

Remi Moses
15-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Pretty crass from Brisbane to talk up applicants when Voss is setting next to him!
Regardless of Voss and his efforts as coach, that lacked class.

Remi Moses
15-08-2013, 10:52 PM
This has been the feeling I have received here in Brissy myself. It has never really worked, and pretty much all Lions fans i know have been saying this year its time for him to go.
This really didn't come as a surprise to me.

Unfortunately a lot are seduced by his exploits as a player, and are blinded by his failings as a coach.

Twodogs
16-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Pretty crass from Brisbane to talk up applicants when Voss is setting next to him!
Regardless of Voss and his efforts as coach, that lacked class.

Yeah. I thought that was pretty ordinary.