PDA

View Full Version : Finishing 9th this season

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I keep reading that teams are lining up to finish 9th this season so hopefully they will replace Essendon in the finals.
It's an antiquated notion that really needs to be looked at.

Lets look at the supposed contenders:

Adelaide, they cheat the salary cap, play home games at a stupid venue, have a shitty jumper and couldn't beat us when it counts.
Carlton, insipid, they play boring football and like the Crows they also couldn't beat us when it counts. Oh yeah and their fans annoy me and many others.
North Melbourne, their jumper clashes with Collingwood and you just know they lose if its a close one.
West Coast, playing poorly, have underachieved on the season and like so many other mid range teams, they couldn't beat us when it counts.

Good competitions around the world acknowledge that the win loss column means nothing when looking to strengthen a competition at the pointy end of the season and that's why they invented the wild cards which allow them to pick inform teams for the finals.

Surely the AFL are smart enough to look for a team that's in form, a team on the rise and beating other more fancied opponents, an underdog team with a great jumper.

C'mon someone at the AFL has to see that there is only one team that will add excitement, spirit and meaning to a competition that has been trying like crazy to put the Essendon saga off the front and back pages of the papers.

If any team should be added to the finals campaign at the expense of Essendon then it has to be this great club.
A word of warning, cancel any holidays you have booked in September. ;)

Give the fans of the AFL what they want. The Dogs September bound.

In Twitter speak #BulldogsWildCard

Go Dogs.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2013, 09:04 PM
We wouldn't disgrace ourselves whatsoever if we were to play finals right now.

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Love it.

anfo27
18-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I like the way you think GVGjr!!! Quality thread. I know there wouldn't be any teams too keen to play us atm.

Eastdog
18-08-2013, 09:21 PM
We'd definitely give a few teams particularly in the bottom 4 of the 8 a good game.

boydogs
18-08-2013, 09:30 PM
North Melbourne, their jumper clashes with Collingwood and you just know they lose if its a close one.

North well and truly get the nod ahead of us if it's a form issue.

Twodogs
18-08-2013, 09:41 PM
North well and truly get the nod ahead of us if it's a form issue.

We'd run over the top of them easily. ;)

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 09:46 PM
We'd run over the top of them easily. ;)

They would be called the North Melbourne Speed Bumps if we were to play them at the moment ;)

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I know there wouldn't be any teams too keen to play us atm.

Like I said in some other thread, it isn't only the potential or probable loss, but how is the damage (physically) the Dogs are laying down? They aren't tackling they are demolishing anyone with the ball ATM.

.....but could you imagine this team in a finals series right now? Look at the intensity they play with nothing on the line, you'd have to bring body bags to an elimination final.

westdog54
18-08-2013, 10:04 PM
We'd definitely give a few teams particularly in the bottom 4 of the 8 a good game.

Its been said a few times, but right now just about every team in the league would be nervous about playing us. We're playing out of our skins.

Greystache
18-08-2013, 10:17 PM
This thread is gold!

I don't think there's any solution for the AFL other than giving the Dogs a wild card. We need to get Stevo onside on this.

#BulldogsWildCard

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't want finals by default.

westdog54
18-08-2013, 10:19 PM
This thread is gold!

I don't think there's any solution for the AFL other than giving the Dogs a wild card. We need to get Stevo onside on this.

#BulldogsWildCard

Perhaps we should get it in lieu of a priority pick?

:D

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Agree completely, a very rational suggestion that holds merit and must be considered at AFL HQ tomorrow. The more I think about it, it's ridiculous if it doesn't happen.

#BulldogsWildCard

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 10:39 PM
How would we go against Geelong at the moment?

PS - did you scribe the opening post GVGjr?

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 10:43 PM
How would we go against Geelong at the moment?

We wouldn't see them until the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the finals. If we keep improving we have them covered.

PS - did you scribe the opening post GVGjr?

Not sure what this means but Twodogs called me late last night and I ran it by him and he was having a chuckle. ;)

westdog54
18-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Like I said in some other thread, it isn't only the potential or probable loss, but how is the damage (physically) the Dogs are laying down? They aren't tackling they are demolishing anyone with the ball ATM.

.....but could you imagine this team in a finals series right now? Look at the intensity they play with nothing on the line, you'd have to bring body bags to an elimination final.

Could you imagine a prelim or a granny? We'd make Hawthorn's '89 team look like they'd just played an under 10s game.

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 10:52 PM
If we had a up and coming Tennis player that was knocking off some of the highly ranked players and even giving the elite players a run for their money could you imagine the outcry of the public if Tennis Australia didn't give them a wild card into the Australian Open?

#BulldogsWildCard

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 10:53 PM
We wouldn't see them until the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the finals. If we keep improving we have them covered.

Not sure what this means but Twodogs called me late last night and I ran it by him and he was having a chuckle. ;)

Agree about Geelong, covered indeed.

Only asked about the opening post because of the (almost) scathing, yet accurate, description of the four 9th place contenders - you are generally more mild mannered ;) Enjoying this wild card idea very much!

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Only asked about the opening post because of the (almost) scathing, yet accurate, description of the four 9th place contenders - you are generally more mild mannered ;) Enjoying this wild card idea very much!

The truth be told, I have been giving people at work the shits with this idea since Thursday. It's going to be worse tomorrow ;)

Some of them have been coming around to the idea especially the Carlton supporters. Perhaps they are giddy at the prospect of Essendon being relegated.

westdog54
18-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Agree about Geelong, covered indeed.

First thing that popped into my head when I read it. Very un GVG-Like. Made it even funnier to read.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 10:59 PM
If we had a up and coming Tennis player that was knocking off some of the highly ranked players and even giving the elite players a run for their money could you imagine the outcry of the public if Tennis Australia didn't give them a wild card into the Australian Open?

#BulldogsWildCard

What if Ashton Agar had never been promoted to test cricket as a wild card - he nearly scored a century and he's a bowler!

#BulldogsWildCard

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 11:01 PM
What if Ashton Agar had never been promoted to test cricket as a wild card - he nearly scored a century and he's a bowler!

#BulldogsWildCard

It just make sense doesn't it?

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 11:09 PM
It just make sense doesn't it?

I can understand there being a lot of resistance, particularly from the more favoured sides in Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney who know by now we'd have their number - but c'mon Vlad, make it happen. We've been waiting long enough and this now appears to be our year.

jazzadogs
18-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Bulldogs 2013

westdog54
18-08-2013, 11:18 PM
I can understand there being a lot of resistance, particularly from the more favoured sides in Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney who know by now we'd have their number - but c'mon Vlad, make it happen. We've been waiting long enough and this now appears to be our year.

I'm sure Neobold would write it off as undermining their "Hard Work". 4 Premierships in a decade will help you build a bit of a fan base.

Would love to have another crack at Hawthorn right now. We'd roll them.

#17teamsrunningscared #Bulldogswildcard #becauseourjumperhashoops

Happy Days
19-08-2013, 12:06 AM
This is fantastic.

I think we'd smash Hawthorn. Geelong too. PROVE ME WRONG AFL

#bulldogswildcard

comrade
19-08-2013, 12:09 AM
This is fantastic.

I think we'd smash Hawthorn. Geelong too. PROVE ME WRONG AFL

#bulldogswildcard

Love the passion and enthusiasm but I reckon Geelong would still have its way with us :)

But hey, give us a chance to find out!

#BulldogsWildCard

BulldogBelle
19-08-2013, 01:28 AM
We're quite clearly premiership contenders despite our low ladder position.

#Bulldogswildcard

GVGjr
19-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Love the passion and enthusiasm but I reckon Geelong would still have its way with us :)

But hey, give us a chance to find out!

#BulldogsWildCard

To be the best you have to beat the dogs. We will play them in the GF

#BulldogsWildCard

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2013, 02:04 AM
We will be the first team to win the Premiership from outside the top 4 AND outside the top 8

#BulldogsWildCard

azabob
19-08-2013, 09:15 AM
We will be the first team to win the Premiership from outside the top 4 AND outside the top 8

#BulldogsWildCard

Gold

soupman
19-08-2013, 09:24 AM
This is awesome, it just makes sense #bulldogswildcard

The Underdog
19-08-2013, 09:29 AM
I've had a serious think about this and the serious implications for the competition and can't come up with a single reason it shouldn't happen.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 09:59 AM
OK, so Essendon is banned from the finals. Based on my tips for the remaining two rounds, they stay at 7th position.

I think instead of just bumping everybody up, we just slot right into their spot.

So, in week 1 of the finals, we could be looking at Collingwood v Bulldogs. Win for the Dogs. Hawthorn beat Sydney with Buddy and Roughead rubbed out for 1 week each, Mitchell for the season. and Richmond beat Port, Fremantle upset Geelong.

We then play Geelong in the semi. Tough game, could go either way, but I'm confident the Dogs will account for the Catters and face off against Hawthorn in the prelim.

Buddy, Roughead, Mitchell all gone for the Hawks, we clinch it in another nailbiter. Face off against Sydney or Fremantle in the GF.

This is our year.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 11:42 AM
I wonder what odds we could get to win the flag this year? Might hit up a bookie.

LostDoggy
21-08-2013, 12:25 PM
OK. Fess up. Which one of you is Jon Ralph??? Refer page 81 of today's HUN :)

KT31
21-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Can we get a link ?

LostDoggy
21-08-2013, 12:52 PM
AFL Should do a Round 8 to 23 Ladder. We would then make top 8. Essendon would not. We enter the finals.

#BulldogsWildCard

Greystache
21-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-buzz-does-essendon-deserve-to-play-for-points-in-2014/story-fn6cisdj-1226700826522#mm-breached)

KT31
21-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-buzz-does-essendon-deserve-to-play-for-points-in-2014/story-fn6cisdj-1226700826522#mm-breached)

Thankyou Greystache.

Twodogs
21-08-2013, 01:43 PM
#takeashotifyouthinkyouarehardenoughwewillwipethe*!*!*!*!ing floorwithyou

#atbulldogswildcard

1eyedog
21-08-2013, 01:43 PM
The bottom 8 sides should play to the death to take Essendon's place - we would smash them all.

westdog54
21-08-2013, 02:29 PM
#takeashotifyouthinkyouarehardenoughwewillwipethe*!*!*!*!ing floorwithyou#atbulldogswildcard

I thought about doing this one, then decided #17teamsrunningscared was a bit more succinct. :D

Greystache
21-08-2013, 02:33 PM
#takeashotifyouthinkyouarehardenoughwewillwipethe*!*!*!*!ing floorwithyou

#atbulldogswildcard

#Whathesaid

#Whateveritwas

KT31
21-08-2013, 03:19 PM
#Whathesaid

#Whateveritwas

At a quick glance I though this was # What Everitt was #:)

Murphy'sLore
21-08-2013, 03:21 PM
All this levity is making me realise just how grim things had been on here for a while. Aren't we all happy little Doggies at the moment!

LostDoggy
21-08-2013, 04:04 PM
It's amazing what a few wins and an improved performance can do to the bulldog psyche

azabob
21-08-2013, 06:05 PM
All this levity is making me realise just how grim things had been on here for a while. Aren't we all happy little Doggies at the moment!

#winningfootyteam = #happylife

Happy Days
21-08-2013, 07:05 PM
#winningfootyteam = #happylife

I've been waiting all season for a Koby Stevens article where he says we're "on the right track" or something so I can use #mambaknows

GVGjr
21-08-2013, 07:46 PM

I don't believe Jon is a member of this site but we do have a few others on here.

Ralphy likes to be on a winner

#BulldogsWildCard

LostDoggy
21-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't believe Jon is a member of this site but we do have a few others on here.

#BulldogsWildCard

Photo in the hard copy tabloid addition was a half page of 2 Rampaging Bulldogs.

Bet the thread gave him the idea for the story.

Onboard
#bulldogswildcard !

westdog54
21-08-2013, 09:02 PM

#BulldogsWildCard

Its well known that Journos love to trawl places like this

#lazyjournosdoresearchonforums

Ghost Dog
21-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Your avatar certainly gave me a bit of levity! :D noice