PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Macrae

GVGjr
24-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Macrae has had a great first season in my opinion and has performed far better than I expected.
I'm still not 100% sure where he might have a permanent home in our line up.

Over the short to medium term is he a winger, half forward or half back flanker or is he more of a utility that will fill a number of positions for us?

stefoid
24-08-2013, 11:06 PM
I think the main positive he brings is ability to carry the ball in traffic and be damaging with his disposal in traffic, so a pure mid for mine. Receiving from libba and wallis and getting the ball to someone in an attacking position.

jeemak
24-08-2013, 11:14 PM
I really like this kid.

As he gets stronger he'll develop a balance between his inside and outside games and we'll see a lot of him in the centre and a lot of him on the wings.

The balance will come as a result of getting stronger and fitter. Once he develops a harder body and harder edge, his side-step is going to be an amazing get out of jail free card.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Been Terrific!

I can see him becoming a damaging midfielder who will play mainly as an inside receiver who creates play with his step and vision but then also be a great run and link player too.

Mofra
25-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Maximise his strengths - he plays best when he is darting through traffic, so he becomes a midfielder. Someone who breaks lines with agility - he seems to have that little bit of extra time with the ball in hand.

The Pie Man
25-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Should be exciting once he builds fitness. Couldn't chase much this year, but still found plenty of the footy & generally used it well.

High hopes

bornadog
25-08-2013, 12:56 AM
I like his height as well, will be dangerous in the midfield and accumulates a lot of possessions.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 01:26 AM
He's really similar to Pendlebury in the way that he moves and plays the game. His 'inside' game looks strong and underrated, and should really improve as he 'catches up' in terms of strength, size and fitness.

His disposal by foot isn't elite, but should improve as his body develops. It tends to drop off a fair bit as he gets tired. If he can really mirror somebody like Pendles with his ball use, he'll become an extremely damaging player.

Already knows how to find the ball and is very clever in heavy traffic.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 01:39 AM
He's really similar to Pendlebury in the way that he moves and plays the game. His 'inside' game looks strong and underrated, and should really improve as he 'catches up' in terms of strength, size and fitness.

His disposal by foot isn't elite, but should improve as his body develops. It tends to drop off a fair bit as he gets tired. If he can really mirror somebody like Pendles with his ball use, he'll become an extremely damaging player.

Already knows how to find the ball and is very clever in heavy traffic.

Actually, my main concern is with his kicking and a tendency to lean away after a high ball drop from time to time.

It's more prominent when fatigued, as you rightly point out. I hope with fitness he tightens up in that area, because I can see a career of frustration born from the difference between best and worst ball usage.

comrade
25-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Actually, my main concern is with his kicking and a tendency to lean away after a high ball drop from time to time.

It's more prominent when fatigued, as you rightly point out. I hope with fitness he tightens up in that area, because I can see a career of frustration born from the difference between best and worst ball usage.

He's got a big hooking action compared to Pendlebury's more upright stance and as you say, it's more prominent when he's fatigued. I hope he and the coaches work hard over the pre-season to straighten up his action so it's reliable for 100% of the game.

Maddog37
25-08-2013, 11:48 AM
His attitude is spot on and he is a sponge for knowledge by all accounts so if he needs to do something to improve, he will. One of Maccas quality people types.

ratsmac
25-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I see him being similar to Bob Murphy. His skills are not as good as bobby's but there are too many in the league that are. He reads the game well like Bob and gets to where the ball is. His change of direction is his best attribute and he knows it. I see him playing on a back flank or wing. I'm very excited what the future holds for Jackson.

F'scary
25-08-2013, 01:53 PM
He knows how to find the ball and get involved. Has awareness and looks before disposing. Will be a high accumulator mid fielder with high disposal efficiency.

anfo27
25-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Out of all the kids we picked up in last years draft that have played seniors Jackson would be the least impressive. I'm not knocking him but I think it just shows how good our drafting was last year when Jackson who has shown plenty but i've still been more impressed with Stringer, Hrovat & Hunter.

Exciting times ahead for bulldogs fans watching these 4 kids careers develop.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I find that really odd, though I suppose it just shows how differently supporters can view player output.

anfo27
25-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I find that really odd, though I suppose it just shows how differently supporters can view player output.

Could place these 4 kids in the order that has impressed you most this season?

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:39 PM
On exposed form I'd have them placed:

Macrae
Stringer, Hunter
Hrovat

I thought Macrae carried a lot of senior responsibility in his first year in a team that was playing like shit for a lot of the time. Even so, he put in some very solid performances on some pretty reasonable players.

The rest are all pretty close for mine. Hrovat and Stringer suffered from indifferent fitness levels which has affected their ability to play senior football regularly. Hunter hasn't been given the opportunities that in hindsight, he probably should have.

How they end up over their careers will be interesting to see. They're all going to be good players, and if I was to pick I think Stringer will be the best once he becomes fit enough to play as a utility midfielder/forward. Players who can regularly damage opposition teams in the middle and move forward are worth so much and win you games of football.

They all have good skill, and all of them are footballers first and foremost. That makes me happy.

anfo27
25-08-2013, 02:49 PM
On exposed form I'd have them placed:

Macrae
Stringer, Hunter
Hrovat

I thought Macrae carried a lot of senior responsibility in his first year in a team that was playing like shit for a lot of the time. Even so, he put in some very solid performances on some pretty reasonable players.

The rest are all pretty close for mine. Hrovat and Stringer suffered from indifferent fitness levels which has affected their ability to play senior football regularly. Hunter hasn't been given the opportunities that in hindsight, he probably should have.

How they end up over their careers will be interesting to see. They're all going to be good players, and if I was to pick I think Stringer will be the best once he becomes fit enough to play as a utility midfielder/forward. Players who can regularly damage opposition teams in the middle and move forward are worth so much and win you games of football.

They all have good skill, and all of them are footballers first and foremost. That makes me happy.

Interesting! I respect your opinion Jeemak & don't disagree with what you have written. I think Jackson has had a better season than the other 3 but am still more impressed with the other 3.
For me it might be just a passage of play or a quarter or something else that will really impresses me about the other 3. From what i have seen I think Stringer, Hrovat & Hunter will be guns while Macrae I think will be very good but not convinced he will be as good as the other 3.

Ozza
27-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Griffen
Libba
Macrae
Hrovat
Wallis
Hunter
Smith

There is a fair bit of talent there on the inside and outside.

Very happy with Macrae. With more strength added (including adding explosiveness/power) - he'll be a beauty.

Cyberdoggie
29-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Macrae and Stringer just signed on until the end of 2016.

The Underdog
29-08-2013, 02:29 PM
It's funny after the way he was advertised coming in that contested ball was one of his strengths while disposal by foot was average. Still plenty to improve on but think he'll prove to be a great pick.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 08:49 PM
This kid is yet to turn 20 years old. He will be a gun in years to come. How good was he today against the Pies.

azabob
15-06-2014, 08:50 PM
How good is his vision? That bit of play when he set up Bonts to kick his first goal was sublime.

westdog54
15-06-2014, 08:51 PM
As good as he is, is scary to think Bontempelli could be beret again.

Our Midfield is going to be ridiculously good going forward.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 08:51 PM
How good is his vision? That bit of play when he set up Bonts to kick his first goal was sublime.

That was simple superb.

boydogs
15-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Just so good at making space for himself with a quick step or a wind up with his leg to put a high arc on the ball. Extremely valuable in the rolling maul of tackles and handballs to see who can get the ball free

wimberga
15-06-2014, 09:30 PM
the thing I also like about Jackson is his running power. Not necessarily in the power sense, but he does work really hard to get to the fat, open side of the ground and once he gets it, he rarely wastes it.

this will only get even better as his tank builds.

Max469
15-06-2014, 09:58 PM
He plays beyond his years.

All class, looking forward to watching him develop over the years

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2014, 10:01 PM
He really doesn't have too many weaknesses. He isn't quick, but he regularly runs opponents down and cuts the angles extremely well. As a result, he can find plenty of space.

Very intelligent player who knows what to do at the right time - similar to Libba.

Ozza
15-06-2014, 11:45 PM
He really lifted when Collingwood challenged us hard in parts of the third and fourth quarters. He's an impressive young man.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 12:35 AM
He really doesn't have too many weaknesses. He isn't quick, but he regularly runs opponents down and cuts the angles extremely well. As a result, he can find plenty of space.

Very intelligent player who knows what to do at the right time - similar to Libba.

Footballer first, athlete second.

bornadog
13-07-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't remember the last time a 20 year old had 43 touches, this kid is getting better every week.

lemmon
13-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't remember the last time a 20 year old had 43 touches, this kid is getting better every week.

You wouldn't be able to, youngest player to ever do it

chef
13-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Really developing well, as most of the pups are. This is really becoming a strength of our club.

whythelongface
13-07-2014, 07:31 PM
You wouldn't be able to, youngest player to ever do it

That is amazing. He was brilliant.

Of the 2013 draft he would be close to the best of that lot at this stage. Whitfield appears to be going well - haven't heard much from O'Rourke and Plowman (mind you don't watch many GWS games only noticed Whitfield when I have). Toumpas will be a good player but certainly not going anywhere as good as Macrae. Stringer is coming along nicely - will take longer to develop then Macrae. Vines, Mayes, Vlastuin and Daniher are all going well but I would have Macrae at the top of the list at present.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2014, 08:23 PM
There was something in the paper about Jack getting a dressing down by Bmac after the Geelong game. What was that all about? I'm abroad so I missed it.
Marcus, Jackson, Lachie, Nathan, Jake, this is a very exciting time for us. You don't need to be a talent scout to see how much class we have injected into our list, and talent that fits together well.

always right
13-07-2014, 08:34 PM
There was something in the paper about Jack getting a dressing down by Bmac after the Geelong game. What was that all about? I'm abroad so I missed it.
Marcus, Jackson, Lachie, Nathan, Jake, this is a very exciting time for us. You don't need to be a talent scout to see how much class we have injected into our list, and talent that fits together well.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-brendan-mccartney-says-he-was-too-honest-in-assessment-of-young-gun-jack-macrae/story-fni5fazt-1226982740202

Ghost Dog
13-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that

anfo27
17-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Heard on SEN this afternoon that young Jack is averaging the most possessions by a second year player EVER!

jazzadogs
04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Well done to Jacko who is playing his 50th game this week. Has slotted in seamlessly to our side, and although he has had two stints in the VFL appears to take it in the chin and focus on the areas he's asked.

On the downside, it reduces our number of players under 50 games when arguing with opposition supporters about our youth!

Looking forward to the next 150+.

bornadog
04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Just turned 21 (yesterday) and has been averaging over 27 disposals per game this season which is slightly up on last years 26. He has also improved his average tackle count over last season.

Needs to get some power into those legs to improve his kicking, however, his ability to run all day and pick up possession after possession is remarkable. Well done Jackson, look forward to following your career and watching you improve.

Ozza
04-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Generally speaking, he brings a great level of consistency and reliability to the team.

I've heard both Dalrymple and Brendan McCartney talk about how in his top age U/18s year, he played a lot of footy for both his school and TAC sides, and performed week after week. I think we've seen that for most of his 50 games.

Would not surprise me if he becomes a multiple B&F winner for the club as a result of his consistency and sheer ability to find the footy inside and out, week after week.

Well done Jacko.

soupman
04-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Bizarre thinking he is only just hitting 50 games, he is already so good.

Was very impressed with his gut running on the weekend. Absolutely ran his arse off to be an option a few times.

stefoid
04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
His hands and evasiveness around the stoppages are a little bit bont-like, actually. I think what we have with Jack is a big bodied mid who will do his best work in traffic with his hands, but with the bonus of elite running power to provide options on the outside as well.

My god what is our midfield going to be like with Bont and Jack carrying an extra 8 kilos each, plus Libba and Wally on the inside?

Then compliment that lot with the disposal skills of Hunter, McClean and Daniel on the spread.

always right
04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
His hands and evasiveness around the stoppages are a little bit bont-like, actually. I think what we have with Jack is a big bodied mid who will do his best work in traffic with his hands, but with the bonus of elite running power to provide options on the outside as well.

My god what is our midfield going to be like with Bont and Jack carrying an extra 8 kilos each, plus Libba and Wally on the inside?

Then compliment that lot with the disposal skills of Hunter, McClean and Daniel on the spread.

I don't want them to get bigger....just stronger.

bornadog
06-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Career highlights to date:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-06/macrae-career-highlights

Twodogs
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Happy belated 21st Jack.

Dry Rot
19-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Hasn't Macrae come on?

One thing I noticed (about myself) is that every time he got the ball v North, I was thinking the ball is in safe hands.

bornadog
19-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Another highly underrated mid who gets lots of the ball and as you say uses it well. Great to see him snap a goal, he needs to do that more often.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Fast becoming our best player. Or should i say most important. He was immense in the finals (after west coast). He's a very smart player. Always knows where to be.

comrade
19-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Actually took a shot and nailed it this week. Would like to see him wheel on the left and kick more goals, about the only chink in his armour.

Massively underrated by the wider footy community.

I read a quote about a soccer player that went along these lines: Watch the game and you won't see him, watch him and you will see the game. Same concept applies to Macrae.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 02:29 PM
He's the best player from his draft - don't want to hear about Whitfield or Wines or Daniher, he has everyone covered. Talk about chalk and cheese with our first 2 picks - Stringer is capable of play that very few can do but does them infrequently whereas Macrae kills you with a thousand cuts.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-04-2017, 02:29 PM
He is definitely becoming Mr Consistency. You always know he's going to bring the requisite effort and attitude every week. That of itself must be worth it's weight in gold from a coaching point of view.
I also love his focus and the undemonstrative nature in which he goes about his work.
If there was one area I'd like him to improve on it's his kicking penetration and goalkicking, but he brings so much in terms of work-rate, awareness and competitive instincts that he's already an elite performer.

comrade
19-04-2017, 02:31 PM
I think he's still the youngest the ever have 40 touches in a game.

He was our standout youngster and next champion, until a kid called Bontempelli came along.

comrade
19-04-2017, 02:32 PM
He is definitely becoming Mr Consistency. You always know he's going to bring the requisite effort and attitude every week. That of itself must be worth it's weight in gold from a coaching point of view.
I also love his focus and the undemonstrative nature in which he goes about his work.
If there was one area I'd like him to improve on it's his kicking penetration and goalkicking, but he brings so much in terms of work-rate, awareness and competitive instincts that he's already an elite performer.

I love the Macrae-Hunter one-two punch. They just tear teams down with their constant running and elite work rate.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 02:40 PM
I remember a game against Norf in 2011 when their supporters were raving about a similar stat for Ziebell - shame he turned out to be just another ball butcher. Cunnington is light years ahead of him as a mid.

craigsahibee
19-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Hasn't Macrae come on?

One thing I noticed (about myself) is that every time he got the ball v North, I was thinking the ball is in safe hands.

A Grader, without a shadow of a doubt. Jack is pound for pound one of our strongest players. He can absorb hits and tackles in tight and still find a way to release to our advantage.

Ozza
19-04-2017, 02:55 PM
In terms of career averages of disposals - Macrae is top 10 in the league (9th), in company with the likes of Mitchell, Pendelbury, Ablett, Priddis, Kennedy. Macrae is the youngest player in the top 10 for career average disposals.

Remi Moses
19-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Terrific player
Underrated, and we have quite a few

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 03:23 PM
If he kicks 16-22 goals a year, he'd lay claim to being among the very, very mids in the entire comp. He does it on the inside, does it on the outside, never shirks hard hits, moves well, great hands, very good kick, great tackler, reads the play very well (prelim goal prime example). Goal kicking is the only thing to come, and I think with some confidence it will. Last year a lack of confidence got in early in the year and he almost couldn't shake it. So here's hoping he can advantage that .75-1 goal a game.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 03:35 PM
If he kicks 16-22 goals a year, he'd lay claim to being among the very, very mids in the entire comp. He does it on the inside, does it on the outside, never shirks hard hits, moves well, great hands, very good kick, great tackler, reads the play very well (prelim goal prime example). Goal kicking is the only thing to come, and I think with some confidence it will. Last year a lack of confidence got in early in the year and he almost couldn't shake it. So here's hoping he can advantage that .75-1 goal a game.
Runs both ways as well - can only think of Sloane who also does that consistently out of the elite mids in the comp.

Mofra
19-04-2017, 03:46 PM
43 possessions and 2 goals against GCS a few years ago

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Runs both ways as well - can only think of Sloane who also does that consistently out of the elite mids in the comp.

Yep. And I'd guess it would be nice being as good as he is and being relatively unnoticed seeing the pressure on Stringer & Boyd at times. Must be a bit of freedom, although I can see opposition coaches putting a lot more work into. Even then, it beats your then coach publicly going you. On that, I'm so happy we got his signature and that he didn't have anything against the club for it.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2017, 03:47 PM

And that's bad for him. Why? In my 'Career Best' thread he's not often going to hit too many new PBs with such an outstanding game so young.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 04:34 PM
I haven't got statistics to back this up, but I've noticed in all 4 games Macrae has started pretty slowly before working his way into the match and having a much better second half.

Obviously one of the fittest blokes going around. If he can start impacting games earlier expect his disposals average to rise from mid 20's to early 30's this year.

Amazingly last year didn't have 1 match under 20 disposals. With his last match being under 20 being the Elimination final against Adelaide in 2015 where he had 19.

In 2015 only had 1 other match under 20 disposals which was our Round 23 to Brisbane which the whole team was horrid.

Pretty special for such a young player to be so consistent.

LostDoggy
19-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Absolute Gun.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Jack Mac is as good as any with his disposal by hand or foot when under pressure. And to get back from a substantial injury for the finals last year, shows how mentally tough he is. A gem.

GVGjr
19-04-2017, 07:14 PM
He's the best player from his draft - don't want to hear about Whitfield or Wines or Daniher, he has everyone covered. Talk about chalk and cheese with our first 2 picks - Stringer is capable of play that very few can do but does them infrequently whereas Macrae kills you with a thousand cuts.

I've got two non Bulldog mates that say the exact same thing. They also rate him far better than Stringer

comrade
19-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Macrae is also the owner of the most important goal ever kicked by a Bulldog. Stood up in the most clutch moment in the history of the club.

The bulldog tragician
19-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Macrae is also the owner of the most important goal ever kicked by a Bulldog. Stood up in the most clutch moment in the history of the club.

That he did. I would have just about pegged him as the player I would LEAST like to have the ball in his hands in that situation. The emotion on Jackson's face, when he and the boys sing the song after that win, is one of (many) favourite memories.

His game in the GF is seriously under-rated too.

A real gem.

Smads57
19-04-2017, 08:35 PM
When we are getting beaten in the centre for clearances, I always look to see when Jacko will be brought back into the centre square to help out. I just love his attack on the ball and the man.

Interesting to note that his favourite current player (outside the Dogs) is Sloane - both important playmakers for their respective teams.

Twodogs
19-04-2017, 08:39 PM
It's funny but I just knew he'd slot that goal. I was so confident as he went back to take his shot.

Like Chef says he's about the last bloke I'd want taking a clutch shot especially at the end of a game where he's run himself into the ground and he must have been majorly fatigued but he looked so composed I knew he wouldn't miss.

Happy Days
19-04-2017, 10:15 PM

I've been saying this for ages, although the Wines Delusion is beginning to become more in line with reality given his cracking start to the year. Still give me Jack any day.

Whitfield, on the other hand, is a poor man's Macrae.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 10:31 PM
I've been saying this for ages, although the Wines Delusion is beginning to become more in line with reality given his cracking start to the year. Still give me Jack any day.

Wines was close to being dropped a few times last year. To give him his credit, he's started like a house on fire this year.

Sedat
19-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Such a historic moment in our club history. Shame that we could not tell if the goal was even kicked at the time because of Ch 7 and their idiotic camera angle.

stefoid
19-04-2017, 11:06 PM
I haven't got statistics to back this up, but I've noticed in all 4 games Macrae has started pretty slowly before working his way into the match and having a much better second half.

Thats our whole team this year, for whatever reason.

Topdog
20-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Such a historic moment in our club history. Shame that we could not tell if the goal was even kicked at the time because of Ch 7 and their idiotic camera angle.

I couldn't tell as my mates 2 yo daughter turned off the TV as he started lining up. She was a little startled by the noise that was made after she did that.

Ozza
20-04-2017, 09:25 AM

I think they are all excellent players, and all three clubs would be very happy with who they have got.

Mantis
20-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Whitfield has more pace and is a better kick than Jack, but doesn't have the same work ethic or elite hands.

I was right behind the kick, it started gun barrel straight and then hooked as it got close to the goal square.. Probably finished 1m inside the goal post.

craigsahibee
20-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Whitfield has more pace and is a better kick than Jack, but doesn't have the same work ethic or elite hands.

Whitfield misses more tackles and drug tests than Jack.

hotdog
20-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Jack Macrae to me is what Nigel Lappin was in the Fab 4 for Brisbane during their hey day. Aker, Voss and Black took the accolades with their sublime skill and grunt whilst Lappin consistently gathered touches and cut teams to ribbons with his accumulating and play making. A vital cog in our midfield and out and out gun.

Sedat
20-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Jack Macrae to me is what Nigel Lappin was in the Fab 4 for Brisbane during their hey day. Aker, Voss and Black took the accolades with their sublime skill and grunt whilst Lappin consistently gathered touches and cut teams to ribbons with his accumulating and play making. A vital cog in our midfield and out and out gun.
Great comparison. Lappin was one of the best two-way runners in the competition when it wasn't very fashionable to run the other way.

aker39
20-04-2017, 02:24 PM

I was right behind the kick, it started gun barrel straight and then hooked as it got close to the goal square.. Probably finished 1m inside the goal post.

I was right behind the goals and when the goal umpire started running hard to his left, I thought he had missed it.

ratsmac
20-04-2017, 08:11 PM
I was right behind the goals and when the goal umpire started running hard to his left, I thought he had missed it.

I couldn't bare to look knowing he's not a great set shot. I didn't watch the ball but I did watch him to see what his reaction was. When he punched the air I went ballistic.

Daughter of the West
21-04-2017, 05:19 PM
I couldn't bare to look knowing he's not a great set shot. I didn't watch the ball but I did watch him to see what his reaction was. When he punched the air I went ballistic.

I think I'd stopped breathing at that point. Macrae's reaction was just phenomenal - so much emotion in that one fist throw!

Dry Rot
22-04-2017, 05:48 PM
A deserved bump after today.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Absolute best on ground and only reason we weren't further down at half time. Only positive in the first half. Mr Reliable

Doc26
22-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Our best today by the length of the straight. Has had a great start to the season.

bornadog
22-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Loved his game today, really was outstanding

hujsh
22-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Even hit a target on his right boot. Obviously working on his weaknesses.

boydogs
22-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Never seen him run so quickly. Chase down tackles, breaking away from packs, kicked a goal and got free inside 50

Dry Rot
22-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Currently our best player?

bornadog
22-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Currently our best player?

Along with Dahl.

Sedat
22-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Brilliant 2nd half. Has become a real leader at our club.

EasternWest
22-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Even hit a target on his right boot. Obviously working on his weaknesses.

Bit harsh. I think he's usually pretty neat on his right foot.

An absolute gun player. Goes all day - incredible work ethic. I've said this before and it remains true - he looks like a 16 year old girl but is as tough as they come.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Yep, our best player.

No real flaws in his game currently, he's improving his attacking game and he's elite at everything else.

jeemak
22-04-2017, 07:44 PM
He's my favourite. Tough, clean and holds onto the footy instead of wasting it.

Twodogs
22-04-2017, 07:55 PM
He just runs and runs then when he can't run he runs some more. Gun. Absolute gun and incredibly he improves a bit more each season.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Jacko is so reliable. Possibly the most underrated player in the AFL.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Made the below post about Jack a few years ago - he certainly has built on the majority of areas I mentioned.

Those with more coaching knowledge than myself, can his kicking penetration be improved?

As some of you may recall, Macrae was very impressive in his final year of junior footy, having demonstrated his composure and ball use at U/18 level, particularly through the State Champs and then his continued improvement at TAC Cup level towards the end of the season.

Coming into the AFL system, he has quickly managed to build a body that is going to be able to withstand the rigors of senior footy, whilst continuing to grow a bit taller. He's not the quickest bloke, but he has good game sense in that he can work to good spots offensively and his agility to get around players once he's in possession.

Whilst I don't like to be critical of younger players who are still developing, particularly those who I rate very highly and have had great starts to their careers, Jacko has a bit of work to do to elevate himself to a real top line player. At the moment I would say his main areas of weakness are:-

- defensive accountability (highlighted by our former coach)
- kicking penetration
- contested ball winning ability
- overhead marking ability

For a player of his size, both in height and build, he should be able to improve his contested ball and overhead marking ability. Whilst they may never be his strong suits, I think he can become more than capable in those areas.

For someone who at the moment accumulates a lot of the ball, he needs to work on his hurt factor by trying to increase his ability to roost a ball over a zone. At the moment he has a tendency to look for the shorter options more often, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when that's the best option, but at times he seems a bit reluctant or unable to spot up a really nice, longer kick.

His defensive work is also an area of improvement, which I probably put down to fitness at this stage. Once his running ability improves and becomes elite, he will have more legs to work back harder but it continues to be an area that he needs to work at and focus on.

So all of that being said, do you feel my assessments are fair?

Can Macrae develop his game to take the next step and go from being a well performed rookie to being a player that is capable inside and out, capable of beating a tag and generally becoming a big bodied midfielder with great skills and composure?

Should we be looking at developing his contested game by giving him more opportunities in tight around the clearance, or is that a waste of his current talents, which is his link up and outside game?

hujsh
22-04-2017, 10:50 PM

An absolute gun player. Goes all day - incredible work ethic. I've said this before and it remains true - he looks like a 16 year old girl but is as tough as they come.

It have him above only Sucking and maybe Hunter as far as one sided players go.

Normally he'd go out of his way to use his left but today use his right to hit Campbell instead of slowing us down which is a good sign for him.

Raw Toast
22-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Quite a few WOOFers were down on him at the start of last year, in part because his 'hurt' factor is sometimes hard to see. To some I think he brought back troubling memories of Sam Power, especially as Macrea also had a tendancy to float some kicks. As the year progressed however, his elite hands became more apparent, especially as we began pinging the ball around more. I think his gut running also became more apparent - just keeps on keeping on in a remarkable way. And he has shown an ability to slice the opposition open with a scything kick on the 45 degree angle (although sometimes he enjoys doing this too much and gets picked off on it).

Sometimes I think the exhaustion brought on by his intense running causes some disposal issues late in games and in quarters (he missed Stringer badly with a handball in the 3rd quarter today for example - Hunter is another whose immense running can lead to some iffy disposals late in the piece). And I still think he can improve on his contested marking - there was another moment against the Lions today when he'd got out the back but didn't take the body out of the opposing player which allowed the spoil. That said, these are minor things. His work-rate, hands, and vision are above elite, his tacking is impressive, and as others have noted he keeps on improving. It's a such a pleasure to have in the team.

From memory this was done in the game back after being dropped by BMac - it was an impressive response from someone still very young. Jackson was dropped by pretty early by Bevo in 2015, but hasn't looked back since then.

The bulldog tragician
23-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Just about my favourite player. Apart from Bont. And Murph. And Dale Morris...and..

Jackson is really having a great year. When things were tight in the last qtr v Nth I marvelled at the ground he covered. He is much tougher than he looks and he mightn't look like he has that Liam Picken ferocity, but you feel he's one of those blokes who simply can't stand losing.

Remi Moses
23-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Outstanding in the first half when we were struggling , and with Luke Dahl would be leading the b +f .

Bullies
26-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Watch his Grand Final and he was stiff not win the Norm Smith. The little things he did and his tackling were outstanding. When he was on the end of it we often scored.

bornadog
26-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Watch his Grand Final and he was stiff not win the Norm Smith. The little things he did and his tackling were outstanding. When he was on the end of it we often scored.

Dished off two great handpasses resulting in goals to Dickson in the 3rd, and Stringer in the last. Plus his centring kick across to Picken who then kicked a goal.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2017, 10:10 AM

He does look a bit like Chris Lilley....and Ja'mie....in Summer Heights High.

bornadog
02-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Macrae in team of the week.

LostDoggy
02-05-2017, 08:04 PM
With the Bont on the Pine-Pfftt.
And JJ the fans pick.

LostDoggy
08-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Macrae with another outstanding second half.

Think he was on 7 possessions at HT and ended up with 30. I'm not sure where to find quarter by quarter statistics but his second halfs numbers would be off the charts.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Macrae with another outstanding second half.

Think he was on 7 possessions at HT and ended up with 30. I'm not sure where to find quarter by quarter statistics but his second halfs numbers would be off the charts.

I think I saw he had 10 possessions in the 3rd quarter and a massive 13 in the last quarter.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 11:50 AM
So far this season Macrae rates for the team;

2nd in disposals
4th in contested possessions
3rd in clearances and tackles
6th in Scoring involvements
7th (but 1st out of NON-defenders) in disposal efficiency at 79.9%.

craigsahibee
08-05-2017, 12:07 PM
So far this season Macrae rates for the team;

2nd in disposals
4th in contested possessions
3rd in clearances and tackles
6th in Scoring involvements

Just so bloody reliable. He's hardly spoken about in the media (Cometti rated him) but others just don't have him front and centre. Jack probably likes it that way too.

Mofra
08-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Seeing a couple of his handballs last game I'm not surprised. He is amazing with his hands in traffic.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2017, 12:13 PM
He's a serious chance for the Club B&F and All Australian this year if he maintains this level and can stay on the park.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Seeing a couple of his handballs last game I'm not surprised. He is amazing with his hands in traffic.

There is a lot of care for team mates in the way he handballs out of congestion. He holds onto the ball long enough that he is able to get it to them when they are not under the pump, and he often ends up taking a hit himself as a result. He's a good team mate.

Twodogs
08-05-2017, 12:49 PM
I think I saw he had 10 possessions in the 3rd quarter and a massive 13 in the last quarter.

Outstanding numbers. Just incredible.

I often think of Robert Harvey when I watch Jack play but I'm starting to think that Jack might go past Banger. He's certainly a better kick, their handballing ability is a little different-Jack is better in close but Robert Harvey could handball as far as most blokes could kick, there will never be a better handballer over 20-30 metres than Robert Harvey.

Gut running is what made Harvey really elite though but we aren't going to be able to judge Jack accurately on that because Harvey kept improving his every year he played and I wouldn't be surprised if Jack did too. He's probably not happy just running through the entire game. He's the type of kid who'd want to sprint out the entire game or teach himself to fly from one end of the ground to the other or something.

Anyway Jack Macrae reminds me of Robert Harvey. Except a new and improved Premiership winning version.

He's still got Chris Grant's Brownlow you know.

Sedat
08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Just so bloody reliable. He's hardly spoken about in the media (Cometti rated him) but others just don't have him front and centre. Jack probably likes it that way too.
Not good enough to be in any of the top 50 lists at the start of the year and yet someone like Parker is supposedly top 10 in the comp.

Mantis
08-05-2017, 02:05 PM
There is a lot of care for team mates in the way he handballs out of congestion. He holds onto the ball long enough that he is able to get it to them when they are not under the pump, and he often ends up taking a hit himself as a result. He's a good team mate.

Agree on the last point.. quite selfless.

A few of his team-mates could learn a thing or 2.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Agree on the last point.. quite selfless.

A few of his team-mates could learn a thing or 2.

Like who?

Mofra
08-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Like who?
Stringer to start with.
At least twice against Richmond he needed to make an aerial contest just to bring the ball to ground but didn't commit. If he can't take the mark, he'll hang around for a crumb even if he's the biggest player in position to attempt.
Sometimes he needs to do the team thing when the ball is in the air but he often avoids it.

Mantis
08-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Like who?

Maybe just my opinion, but some players with just one number on their back... thinking more the odds, than the evens.

Happy Days
08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Maybe just my opinion, but some players with just one number on their back... thinking more the odds, than the evens.

I see what you did there.

jeemak
08-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he'd be referring to Wallis.

jeemak
08-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Ozza touched on something that I brought up a while back about Jackson that is super valuable and why I like him so much, and that's his tendency to hold the ball, soak up the pressure but still find a good option at his own physical expense.

It won't make the stats sheet, but is vital in congested play.

Mantis
08-05-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure he'd be referring to Wallis.

One number on the back = 1-9

Odds = 1,3,5,7,9

Pick any 4 you want... and I'm not saying it's 100% of the time.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Jack is such a vital player for us. I love his consistency week after week. One of our best players.

jeemak
08-05-2017, 03:31 PM
One number on the back = 1-9

Odds = 1,3,5,7,9

Pick any 4 you want... and I'm not saying it's 100% of the time.

I knew who you'd be referring to. That I singled out Wallis essentially excludes him.

Ozza
08-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Ozza touched on something that I brought up a while back about Jackson that is super valuable and why I like him so much, and that's his tendency to hold the ball, soak up the pressure but still find a good option at his own physical expense.

It won't make the stats sheet, but is vital in congested play.

Not that he is one of our players any more, but it was one of the things I noticed about Callan Ward when he was just a young player with us. Geelong's Selwood does it all the time. It is a great trait. To me, it is real footy toughness (as opposed to Luke McDonald/Spud Firritto/Scott Thompson sort of faux-toughness).

ratsmac
08-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Dunkley is also good at taking the contact just before the release. Its one reason we will miss him this year.

bornadog
08-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Personally, I think this is one of the most unselfish Bulldog teams I have seen in all the years following them.

EasternWest
08-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Gun. Out and out gun.

Go_Dogs
23-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Made the comment on the Game Day thread, but is anyone else with me in saying Jacko looked quicker yesterday? There were a few moments where he was able to use leg speed to create separation and move through a contest, which isn't something I normally associate with his game.

In his 5th year on our list, he's become one of the most consistent midfielders we've had in the past 15 years.

GVGjr
23-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Made the comment on the Game Day thread, but is anyone else with me in saying Jacko looked quicker yesterday? There were a few moments where he was able to use leg speed to create separation and move through a contest, which isn't something I normally associate with his game.

In his 5th year on our list, he's become one of the most consistent midfielders we've had in the past 15 years.

Good observation, he's also moving better and he is holding his marks.
I think he is improving each year and he is certainly one of the more consistent players this season.

Just needs to fix up some kinks with his kicking.

Twodogs
23-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Good observation, he's also moving better and he is holding his marks.
I think he is improving each year and he is certainly one of the more consistent players this season.

Just needs to fix up some kinks with his kicking.

And he will fix those problems. He's the sort of player who won't stop until he does because he wants to make himself a better player. We were talking about who will step up in the midfield to take some of the pressure of Bont. Macrae will be one of them.

Scorlibo
23-07-2017, 12:24 PM
And he will fix those problems. He's the sort of player who won't stop until he does because he wants to make himself a better player. We were talking about who will step up in the midfield to take some of the pressure of Bont. Macrae will be one of them.

Yep, his continuous and rapid improvement has been nothing short of remarkable. He wasn't a capable contested ball player in his first couple of years, he's now possibly our most reliable in the contest. Like Wally, he doesn't settle for anything less than the best option and has the courage to hold the ball until that option presents itself. His kicking has also improved out of sight, although still not perfect. And then we see some contested marking emerge yesterday! It's going to be exciting to see what else Jack can bring into his game over his career. He's a gem.

Twodogs
23-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Yep, his continuous and rapid improvement has been nothing short of remarkable. He wasn't a capable contested ball player in his first couple of years, he's now possibly our most reliable in the contest. Like Wally, he doesn't settle for anything less than the best option and has the courage to hold the ball until that option presents itself. His kicking has also improved out of sight, although still not perfect. And then we see some contested marking emerge yesterday! It's going to be exciting to see what else Jack can bring into his game over his career. He's a gem.

He's the sort of kid who won't take no for an answer and will keep asking (no matter how people it annoys) until he finds someone who can give him the answer/advice that he's looking for. He's the guy you played cricket with that spent the post match sitting in the corner of the dressing room talking to an opposition player about how to get his wrong un to grip more and different ways to watch the ball all the way onto the bat.

bornadog
23-07-2017, 04:03 PM
he's also moving better and he is holding his marks.

I like the way he used his height to advantage on a few occasions.