PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 23 vs Melbourne

Greystache
25-08-2013, 03:41 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for the final game of the season against Melbourne on Sunday?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussion.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 08:25 PM
One more round to go. Who gets a promotion and a demotion?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:30 PM
In:

Cooney, Jones

Out:

Addison, Griffen (resting the ankle)

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 08:33 PM
In:

Cooney, Jones

Out:

Addison, Griffen (resting the ankle)

Get real. He's got months to rest the ankle. He'll be fine.

comrade
25-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Out:

Addison, Stevens

In:

Jones, Cooney

Stevens was poor tonight. When the game was up for grabs, he coughed it up with bad decision making and stupid free kicks. Addison was barely sighted.

Hotdog60
25-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Could be a couple of farewell games this week.

Pickenitup
25-08-2013, 08:46 PM
In Hrovat Jones Cooney
Out Addison Tutt Stevens

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 08:49 PM
In Hrovat Jones Cooney
Out Addison Tutt Stevens

Would love to get Hrovat in there as well. Stevens I think could be safe. I'd also go a Talia for Austin swap.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Out:

Addison, Stevens

In:

Jones, Cooney

Stevens was poor tonight. When the game was up for grabs, he coughed it up with bad decision making and stupid free kicks. Addison was barely sighted.

Yep happy with that.

I'd consider Talia for Austin and Hrovat if Griffen is out, but not too concerned.

comrade
25-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Macrae is also an option but I reckon he's cooked at AFL level for this season.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Yep happy with that.

I'd consider Talia for Austin and Hrovat if Griffen is out, but not too concerned.

I would like to see Talia recalled but retain Austin to allow Roughead to move forward. I thought Campbell was poor today and Jones is the obvious replacement at FF. We lacked class today without Cooney's brilliance and would also bring in Hrovat because of his skill and quality disposal.
In. Cooney Talia Jones and Hrovat
Out. Addison Stevens Campbell and Hunter.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 10:07 PM
In: Cooney, Jones

Out: Tutt, Addison

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I would like to see Talia recalled but retain Austin to allow Roughead to move forward. I thought Campbell was poor today and Jones is the obvious replacement at FF. We lacked class today without Cooney's brilliance and would also bring in Hrovat because of his skill and quality disposal.
In. Cooney Talia Jones and Hrovat
Out. Addison Stevens Campbell and Hunter.

I'd nearly go exactly with those changes but I'd try and get an idea how Melbourne will structure their forwards first. Perhaps I would retain Campbell but drop Easton Wood

soupman
25-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I think we lacked another target today, both deep forward and also on the wings when trying to get it out of our backline. I want Jones in for Addison as a result.

I would also like Cooney back in for somebody. Probably Tutt if we aren't gonna bother bringing him on until the game is nearly over.

F'scary
25-08-2013, 10:22 PM
In: Stringer.

Out: whoever.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 10:29 PM

Stringer hasn't played for a few weeks.

DragzLS1
25-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Jones kicked 6 today for Williamstown apparently

Alls I want to see is Tutt be given a full game, Stevens or Addison dropped for Cooney and Jones. But who would be the sub :s tough call.

Alls I can say is look out melbourne we will be wanting pay back this week and Gia may be playing for another 1 year deal! Based on this Gia to kick 6.. Go dogs

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Stringer is in a moon boot

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah I think Stringer had a bit of early clean up surgery on his leg or something.
Cue in the rack for him.

bornadog
25-08-2013, 11:24 PM
I wonder if Gia will announce is retirement? He will be playing his 250 the game

kruder
25-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Talia has to come in for Austin. Was only rested and deserves his spot back.

We all agree we are a KPF down hence Liam to come in for Addison after some solid form at Willy while Coons if fit will replace Tutt.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I wonder if Gia will announce is retirement? He will be playing his 250 the game

We will know fairly early in the week I suspect.

Remi Moses
25-08-2013, 11:38 PM
In Cooney
Out Addison ( just to clumsy) not up to it.

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Cue in the rack for Cooney, we win by 3 goals tonight with him. Leave him be.
Murphy might miss looked a bad cork? Gia announment the swayer.

So. Out.
Campbell, murphy/stevens.

In. Jones, tutt to start. Stevens to sub. Wait and see murphy. Macrae on standby.

always right
26-08-2013, 08:49 AM
In: Jones, Cooney
Out: Addison, Murphy/Tutt (subject to Murphy's fitness)

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I'd hate to see Campbell dropped for one game where he was mostly held behind the ball to contain him. Koby too, makes a few bad choices and deserved to be subbed last night, but definitely in the best team we can select at the minute. Lets not forget these guys are somewhat kids too.

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm finally going to agree on dropping Addison. I really dislike how much he has become the WOOF Whipping Boy, but I think the time has come, he has had a stinker too many for this year.

Out: Addison for reasons above.
In: Jones due to reported form at Willy.

Though this DOES make us VERY tall — Jones, Grant, Campbell, Minson, Roughead. Too tall? Thoughts?

Wallis to take Nathan Jones. If he can claim that scalp, we'll absolutely obliterate them. Most important match-up is whomever gets Nathan Jones.

comrade
26-08-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm finally going to agree on dropping Addison. I really dislike how much he has become the WOOF Whipping Boy, but I think the time has come, he has had a stinker too many for this year.

Out: Addison for reasons above.
In: Jones due to reported form at Willy.

Though this DOES make us VERY tall — Jones, Grant, Campbell, Minson, Roughead. Too tall? Thoughts?

Wallis to take Nathan Jones. If he can claim that scalp, we'll absolutely obliterate them. Most important match-up is whomever gets Nathan Jones.

Grant isn't a tall.

Roughead is our full back.

Not too tall.

Happy Days
26-08-2013, 10:46 AM
In: Jones, Hrovat

Out: Tutt, Addison

Addison plays as a tall anyway (he sure doesn't play as a small) and I think Jones is more mobile, so not concerned.

Hrovat is like Tutt in the sense that he is short but not like Tutt in the sense that he can do a bit of everything, not just run quickly and not kick it very well. More Neapolitan.

Mofra
26-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I do like Addison, but Jones simply has to come in and Addison is playing his spot.
Tutt offers us run and hasn't done much wrong, but Cooney is an upgrade

Out: Addison, Tutt
In Jones, Cooney

Maddog37
26-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Jones is a liability when the ball hits the deck.

comrade
26-08-2013, 04:42 PM

He offers about as much as Addison when it hits the deck.

Mofra
26-08-2013, 05:01 PM
His first goal at AFL level last game was after the ball hit the deck.

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 07:36 PM

It seems to be more of a problem when the ball goes behind him in air or ground. Not so much when it is just on the ground.

mighty_west
26-08-2013, 08:15 PM
In : Jones, Cooney
Out : Addison, Tutt

Tutt a bit stiff as I think he should have played last week and only limited game time last night but Cooney is obviously an upgrade, Stevens stays for mine, he adds that extra grunt in the midfield and I can't see us dropping both Stevens and Addison.

Jones a no brainer after snagging 6 for Willy, also strengthens our structure as we saw last night Roughead go forward straight away when Merritt went down, Jones also frees up Campbell and Grant.

Roughead back to play on Dawes with Morris on Watts.

F'scary
26-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Stringer hasn't played for a few weeks.

Stringer is in a moon boot

Yeah I think Stringer had a bit of early clean up surgery on his leg or something.
Cue in the rack for him.

#@!%

Why am I always the last to find out?:(

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Jones has played well since being dropped and he comes in for Addison who more or less plays the same role. Tutt unlucky after coming in for 10 minutes but as others have said, Cooney is a massive upgrade. Tutt stays if somebody doesn't pull up well.

Hotdog60
26-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Jones has played well since being dropped and he comes in for Addison who more or less plays the same role. Tutt unlucky after coming in for 10 minutes but as others have said, Cooney is a massive upgrade. Tutt stays if somebody doesn't pull up well.

You could send Murphy for an early break. Get to the surgeon and get the usual clean ups that footballers get. Just tell Tutt to play like Murph, run, run, run and run.

The Underdog
26-08-2013, 10:45 PM
You could send Murphy for an early break. Get to the surgeon and get the usual clean ups that footballers get. Just tell Tutt to play like Murph, run, run, run and run.

No way Murph is missing Gia's 250th/final game

Hotdog60
26-08-2013, 10:47 PM

I hadn't thought of that when writing.:o

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Out Gia ... surely guys this could be your last chance

Happy Days
27-08-2013, 01:51 PM

He's alright below his knees, it's his quick decision making that lets him down. He seems to need time to assess every option rather than make an instinctive decision.

Cooney's gonna play, as per twitter. I'd drop Stevens for him in addition to the other changes previously listed.

LostDoggy
27-08-2013, 02:26 PM

You could see him lining up on a half-back blank crutches and all if he had to :D

LostDoggy
27-08-2013, 05:34 PM
out gia ... Surely guys this could be your last chance

wtf?

always right
27-08-2013, 05:36 PM
wtf?

I think he was suggesting it was the last chance for those who like to pot Gia.

F'scary
27-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I think he was suggesting it was the last chance for those who like to pot Gia.

Well he was playing like shit a while ago.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Cooney & Hrovat ins so far
Out Addison at the moment

comrade
29-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Solid ins this week with Cooney and Hrovat named and Talia and Jones on the extended bench.

Happy we're giving the Rat one last taste.

Remi Moses
29-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Good moves

Go_Dogs
29-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Solid ins this week with Cooney and Hrovat named and Talia and Jones on the extended bench.

Happy we're giving the Rat one last taste.

Agreed. Hrovat was good on the weekend so glad to see him in.

BulldogBelle
29-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Agreed. Hrovat was good on the weekend so glad to see him in.

Sadly I can't see him getting the game unless we drop Tutt.

Addison for Jones is a clear one at the moment.

comrade
29-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Sadly I can't see him getting the game unless we drop Tutt.

Addison for Jones is a clear one at the moment.

Hrovat is already named in the starting 18.

Maddog37
30-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Good problem when guys that deserve a game can't get into the team.

G-Mo77
30-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Hrovat a no go this week. :(

Stevens takes his place.

Cooney and Jones in for Tutt and Addison which almost everybody expected.

I'm surprised Austin stays over Talia.

Happy Days
30-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Hrovat not even on the emergency list :SS

The Underdog
30-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Hrovat not even on the emergency list :SS

Apparently hurt his quad. Replaced in 18 by Koby.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Apparently hurt his quad. Replaced in 18 by Koby.

He has been unlucky with this quad injury.

Scorlibo
30-08-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised Austin stays over Talia.

Why?

Disappointing to see Stevens stay in while Tutt misses out. Koby was pretty poor last week and hasn't found form for a while whereas Tutty got a 10 minute run last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2013, 08:22 PM

This must be a bit of a concern for the club. He's injured it three times already IIRC.

He's got a while to get it right, but they'd want to make sure it doesn't occur again.

Why?

Disappointing to see Stevens stay in while Tutt misses out. Koby was pretty poor last week and hasn't found form for a while whereas Tutty got a 10 minute run last week.

And in that time Tutt was absolutely dreadful.

Stevens has far more credits in the bank than Tutt.

F'scary
30-08-2013, 09:48 PM

What is a quad injury? Does that mean he has been hurt in 4 places?

Scorlibo
30-08-2013, 10:09 PM
This must be a bit of a concern for the club. He's injured it three times already IIRC.

He's got a while to get it right, but they'd want to make sure it doesn't occur again.

And in that time Tutt was absolutely dreadful.

Stevens has far more credits in the bank than Tutt.

Absolutely dreadful? He had 4 touches, 4 kicks, 4 inside 50s. One of those was nearly a great goal. I bet I could pick out a whole host of 10 minute patches in which Koby was worse than what Tutty was in the last 10. It's not enough time to prove yourself.

LostDoggy
30-08-2013, 11:03 PM

No, god you're an idiot:rolleyes:
It means he fell off his four wheeler motorbike! Duh!

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Absolutely dreadful? He had 4 touches, 4 kicks, 4 inside 50s. One of those was nearly a great goal. I bet I could pick out a whole host of 10 minute patches in which Koby was worse than what Tutty was in the last 10. It's not enough time to prove yourself.

Don't rely on statistics.

Look at the game - Tutt was dreadful, made the wrong decision every time he had the ball in hand, over ran the ball once or twice. Limited game time yes, but he had a few chances to really impact the game positively. He didn't get close. The same mistakes he has made since day one - no surprise he's overlooked.

The Doctor
30-08-2013, 11:41 PM
No, god you're an idiot:rolleyes:
It means he fell off his four wheeler motorbike! Duh!

Oh come on you're having a lend of us there.

A quad injury is one injury that hurts 4 times as much as it normally does.

LostDoggy
31-08-2013, 07:26 AM

Maybe Tutty had a quad injury too?

1eyedog
31-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Oh come on you're having a lend of us there.

A quad injury is one injury that hurts 4 times as much as it normally does.

That's called quadruplets.

Scorlibo
31-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Statistics are the best impartial measure.

Look at the game - Tutt was dreadful, made the wrong decision every time he had the ball in hand, over ran the ball once or twice. Limited game time yes, but he had a few chances to really impact the game positively. He didn't get close. The same mistakes he has made since day one - no surprise he's overlooked.

I've watched the game. Tutty's two last disposals were these:

1. Found the ball on the wing, burnt off his opponent and scrubbed a kick inside fifty for a boundary throw in the pocket. Tory had a shot at goal as a result. Net result = good.

2. Bumped an opponent off the ball, ran to fifty and kicked a behind. Net result = average-good.

In each scenario he would have benefited from a bit of composure, but having WATCHED every game this year, I know that when the sub first comes on it takes a while for them to adjust to the speed of the game.

You say, "he didn't get close" to impacting the game positively. I'd argue that in the above two examples he could have won the match for us if he'd been brought on at the right stage of the game.

You need to take the blinkers off TBB, Jason is clearly your whipping boy, but in this case you're just wrong, he wasn't dreadful, and he deserves another chance given that in his last two matches he's been brought on as the sub.

Happy Days
31-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Statistics are the best impartial measure.

I've watched the game. Tutty's two last disposals were these:

1. Found the ball on the wing, burnt off his opponent and scrubbed a kick inside fifty for a boundary throw in the pocket. Tory had a shot at goal as a result. Net result = good.

2. Bumped an opponent off the ball, ran to fifty and kicked a behind. Net result = average-good.

In each scenario he would have benefited from a bit of composure, but having WATCHED every game this year, I know that when the sub first comes on it takes a while for them to adjust to the speed of the game.

You say, "he didn't get close" to impacting the game positively. I'd argue that in the above two examples he could have won the match for us if he'd been brought on at the right stage of the game.

You need to take the blinkers off TBB, Jason is clearly your whipping boy, but in this case you're just wrong, he wasn't dreadful, and he deserves another chance given that in his last two matches he's been brought on as the sub.

You know not doing things well or at all when given the opportunity is bad, right?

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-08-2013, 01:02 PM

Stevens was very poor against the Lions with poor disposal and lack of pace being obvious. Koby held his place only because of the late withdrawal of Hrovat. I find it difficult to be too critical of Tutt with just 10 minutes of game time. The general feeling was that he should have come on earlier.

The Underdog
31-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Tutt, came on for Murphy in the 3rd quarter and had one possession where he kicked long from a free to the advantage of the forward, who marked and goaled.
Could he have done better in the 15 minutes at the end of the game? Sure. The positive as I saw it was that he was able to break the lines, show pace and have some effect in difficult circumstances. His finishing was poor in those situations, mainly due to a lack of composure which let him down, but at least he was using the strengths of his game to get the ball into our 50 to begin. He wasn't alone with poor finishing though. Gia, Dahl and others missed easy goals that also let the team down. There were plenty of guys who made appalling mistakes in that game.
However to insinuate that he hasn't improved since he started is wrong. Certainly he still has areas to work on but I've seen him spot up some excellent kicks to forwards this year and show good vision. He also has improved the physical aspect of his game which was questionable. At this point he seems to be someone who needs to work his way into games. Is he going to be a 200 game champion. Probably not. Has he improved and shown enough to perservere with? Yep.

F'scary
31-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I've noticed the Dees have a lot of players called Jack. Why is it so?

Remi Moses
31-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Gee, some people on here jump on players quickly. Tutt's got a lot of improving to do, but people just make decisions far to quickly. I guess the same applied to the coach for some!!

F'scary
31-08-2013, 05:07 PM
We have 3 called Tom. Another conumdrum.

LostDoggy
31-08-2013, 08:59 PM
We have 3 called Tom. Another conumdrum.

Could get worse. I envisage a 2025 team with names like Jaxxon, Kai, Baylee, etc.

Greystache
31-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Could get worse. I envisage a 2025 team with names like Jaxxon, Kai, Baylee, etc.

But all of the 14 Baylee's in the team will spell their name differently because they are unique and their parents are really creative :rolleyes:

Webby
01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
But all of the 14 Baylee's in the team will spell their name differently because they are unique and their parents are really creative :rolleyes:

^^^
I enjoyed that one!

F'scary
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM

In my day, it was the still the age of the apostles. No wonder people got called by surnames and nicknames. It was common in a class of 40 to have something like 4 Johns, 3 Peters, 3 Matthews, 2 Lukes, 2 Simons & 2 James & 2 Andrews. Unfortunately, parents were not adventurous enough to go a Thaddaeus. There were never any Judas's.

May I therefore nominate Judas as a good niche name for those who want to emphasise individuality and uniqueness.

F'scary
01-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Sorry for veering off topic. It is a weird feeling - the last game of the season.

Max469
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
In my day, it was the still the age of the apostles. No wonder people got called by surnames and nicknames. It was common in a class of 40 to have something like 4 Johns, 3 Peters, 3 Matthews, 2 Lukes, 2 Simons & 2 James & 2 Andrews. Unfortunately, parents were not adventurous enough to go a Thaddaeus. There were never any Judas's.

May I therefore nominate Judas as a good niche name for those who want to emphasise individuality and uniqueness.

We had one of those some time ago, he went to Richmond in 2004 to play finals

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Would, could, should have etc.

The facts are pretty simple. He had a few opportunities to positively impact the game in the last fifteen minutes, and absolutely blew it with a combination of dreadful disposal and zero composure.

If I am wrong, why was he dropped by the MC? Somebody clearly views it in a similar light to the way I do.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, I just don't think he has any quality outside of genuine pace, which is seemingly what entices some supporters.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Not many Adolfs around or his moustache and yet of the two brothers, Kain the killer gets a run but not Abel, go figure.

F'scary
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Not many Adolfs around or his moustache and yet of the two brothers, Kain the killer gets a run but not Abel, go figure.

Cain Judas Adolf Bigglesworth. Would that be allowed?

chef
01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Late change
Dawes out
Sellar in