PDA

View Full Version : De-Listings from other clubs

Hotdog60
02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I thought I would start a thread on who's got the chop from their clubs so we can see what pickings there might be. Enter your finding here.:)

From the Suns:
Jacob Gillbee
Kyal Horsley
Liam Patrick
Maverick Weller
Joel Wilkinson

Remi Moses
02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Definite no to Wilkinson. Turn over merchant and bad decision maker.

G-Mo77
02-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I just read that before HD.

They could have given them a couple of days before telling them they're not wanted. 3 of those 5 played yesterday.

comrade
02-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Mav Weller had big wraps on him when he was first picked up. It'll be interesting to see if anyone throws him a lifeline.

Hotdog60
02-09-2013, 09:29 PM

They could have given them a couple of days before telling them they're not wanted. 3 of those 5 played yesterday.

If you knew before playing would you try harder for potential suitors or stuff it and go through the motions.

Hotdog60
02-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Mav Weller had big wraps on him when he was first picked up. It'll be interesting to see if anyone throws him a lifeline.

27 possession's against GWS

G-Mo77
02-09-2013, 09:40 PM
If you knew before playing would you try harder for potential suitors or stuff it and go through the motions.

If it were me I'd try my best regardless.

I don't see the point in playing them if they weren't wanted or needed. They're a developing club and would be better of playing guys who will be with them next year, seems pointless playing them. :confused:

Hotdog60
02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
If it were me I'd try my best regardless.

I don't see the point in playing them if they weren't wanted or needed. They're a developing club and would be better of playing guys who will be with them next year, seems pointless playing them. :confused:

The only thing was maybe they didn't have much left to choose from and being GWS they may have sent better players off for early repair work. But I agree with you if your not part of the plan why play them.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM

That just seems unnecessarily brutal. Sure tough decisions have to get made, but to publicly announce it the day after the last game seems inappropriate.

1eyedog
02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
That just seems unnecessarily brutal. Sure tough decisions have to get made, but to publicly announce it the day after the last game seems inappropriate.

Absolutely agree and our club would have done it differently. That's the difference between a football club with integrity, history and culture and a cashed up franchise.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Surprised about Weller.

Wasn't he chased fairly hard by a few clubs one or two years ago? I haven't watched many Suns games, but a 27 possession effort v GWS shows he can obviously still find the ball.

LostDoggy
03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
He was an access selection in 2010 from memory. I'd be happy for us to look at him as a think he'd be a better option than developing Pearce in the second potential small defender role.

He'll get rookied (at least) for sure by someone.

comrade
03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
He was an access selection in 2010 from memory. I'd be happy for us to look at him as a think he'd be a better option than developing Pearce in the second potential small defender role.

He'll get rookied (at least) for sure by someone.

I've read reports that he was given the small defender role at GC to teach him the defensive side of the game. Bit of a one way runner.

If Macca thinks he can develop that side of his game, might be worth a nibble.

LostDoggy
30-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Tom Ledger - Saints

Josh Hunt - Cats

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Freo:

Senior listed players Peter Faulks, Jesse Crichton and Alex Forster, and rookies Haiden Schloithe and Alex Howson are no longer with the club. - See more at: http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-10-01/pitt-retires-fremantle-delist-five-players#sthash.icpaMeAY.dpuf

Go_Dogs
01-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I wonder what the story is with Forster. Was a good under age player.

LostDoggy
01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I wonder what the story is with Forster. Was a good under age player.

Injury-ravaged, but only two years for a relatively high pick ?

Go_Dogs
01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Injury-ravaged, but only two years for a relatively high pick ?

Yep. Played a bit of SANFL with Norwood too. I wonder if his body just can't cope or he's had a bit of bad luck? I rated him quite highly so will be interesting to see if he finds a new home.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Strange. Pick 29 in front of some big names. Good size too.

Maybe not rehabbing well enough? Not sure Tommy and Shaun need another full time rehab mate though.

Throughandthrough
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Yep. Played a bit of SANFL with Norwood too. I wonder if his body just can't cope or he's had a bit of bad luck? I rated him quite highly so will be interesting to see if he finds a new home.

Played one afl match. Round 23 this year. Has had a lot of injury problems

LostDoggy
03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
J-Pod not being offered a new contract by the Cats.

Should be a free agent therfore.

JPod as a tall for a year or two with Crameri & Jones, help in the fitness/medical department, coach the forwards?

Would come for bugger all.

KT31
03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
J-Pod not being offered a new contract by the Cats.

Should be a free agent therfore.

JPod as a tall for a year or two with Crameri & Jones, help in the fitness/medical department, coach the forwards?

Would come for bugger all.

IMO we won't look at the Pod but funny how now his career is over he may be considered and yet early in his career when we were screaming for us to pick him up it fell on deaf ears.

LostDoggy
03-10-2013, 12:05 PM
IMO we won't look at the Pod but funny how now his career is over he may be considered and yet early in his career when we were screaming for us to pick him up it fell on deaf ears.

Pathetic isn't how he evaded being picked up by us, considering he spent years in our backyard.

Oh well :cool:

Scorlibo
03-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Pathetic isn't how he evaded being picked up by us, considering he spent years in our backyard.

Pathetic is the right word. The supporters were on the Pods case for two or three years, urging the club to go down that road. All the club ever said was that they were 'considering their options' or something similar. Of course every club had the same opportunity to pick him up, but given our woes with bringing a good key forward to the club, it really stands out to me as an awful recruiting decision to pass him over.

KT31
03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Pathetic is the right word. The supporters were on the Pods case for two or three years, urging the club to go down that road. All the club ever said was that they were 'considering their options' or something similar. Of course every club had the same opportunity to pick him up, but given our woes with bringing a good key forward to the club, it really stands out to me as an awful recruiting decision to pass him over.

I thought he was a cert to be on our list after the 2005 Vfl Grandfinal, he was taking every mark that came to him when Bowden and Rawlings just looked like spuds.

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 09:11 PM
North dump Ben Mabon, Ayden Kennedy, Jordan Gysberts & Will Sierakowski.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Updated delistings

http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/retirements-and-delistings

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Bartlett, Cornelius, McCarthy, Mitchell and Forster all hold a bit of interest from me without knowing the full details on why all have been moved on.

soupman
29-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure Bartlett is more injury prone than Williams and Higgins combined.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Pretty sure Bartlett is more injury prone than Williams and Higgins combined.

May be right. Obviously had issues prior to being drafted. Was a top junior talent though.

I wonder if someone will roll the dice on a rookie spot for him?

Happy Days
29-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Bartlett, Cornelius, McCarthy, Mitchell and Forster all hold a bit of interest from me without knowing the full details on why all have been moved on.

With all the walkouts from Brisbane they must seriously suck to have still been delisted.

Bulldog Joe
29-10-2013, 02:41 PM
With only Richmond still to make some delistings it is interesting that we have the least movement of all other clubs with only 5 off the list.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 02:44 PM
With only Richmond still to make some delistings it is interesting that we have the least movement of all other clubs with only 5 off the list.

Not really leaving us any room for a PSD selection but probably more to come.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Not really leaving us any room for a PSD selection but probably more to come.
I'd make a cut on player 38 on the list and wait for the PSD. If they're the best pick at pick 4 good, if not, we improve the depth of the squad. It's a decent pick for a PSD. Especially since pick one is taken on Lamb.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd make a cut on player 38 on the list and wait for the PSD. If they're the best pick at pick 4 good, if not, we improve the depth of the squad. It's a decent pick for a PSD. Especially since pick one is taken on Lamb.

I like what we did last year and kept one spot open for a rookie upgrade. It's one of the seasons why I think Austin and Goodes can be maintained as rookies and as it gets closer to the season a decision can be made to upgrade one. We would need to cut into the primary list a bit deeper though to achieve that. My concern is that we are only intending to draft two players and upgrade from the rookie list.

soupman
29-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if Pearce has a contract for next season?

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if Pearce has a contract for next season?

I'm guessing here and haven't heard anything but it's probably something they are working on at the moment.
I think he had a 2 year deal.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I like what we did last year and kept one spot open for a rookie upgrade. It's one of the seasons why I think Austin and Goodes can be maintained as rookies and as it gets closer to the season a decision can be made to upgrade one. We would need to cut into the primary list a bit deeper though to achieve that. My concern is that we are only intending to draft two players and upgrade from the rookie list.
I'm happy to trust, but only bringing in Stew and two kids makes me concerned. This type of drafting is usually reserved for a top team topping up, I'm not convinced this is the best course at this stage if our cycle. But that's just me.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm happy to trust, but only bringing in Stew and two kids makes me concerned. This type of drafting is usually reserved for a top team topping up, I'm not convinced this is the best course at this stage if our cycle. But that's just me.

I think we are on the same page. I've never believed minimal changes are the way to go and in fact most really strong teams still make a number of changes. There might be a lot of scope to improve the players on our current list and I know it's a costly exercise but I'd like to be selecting 3 more players at the National draft and hopefully one at the PSD.

I guess recruitment of the likes of Young and Stevens last year and Darley this year keeps improving the list.

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 03:21 PM
It could well have something to do with the recruiting team's assessment of this draft. There's not much point chopping players and bringing in new ones if they're not going to be any better.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I think we are on the same page. I've never believed minimal changes are the way to go and in fact most really strong teams still make a number of changes. There might be a lot of scope to improve the players on our current list and I know it's a costly exercise but I'd like to be selecting 3 more players at the National draft and hopefully one at the PSD.

I guess recruitment of the likes of Young and Stevens last year and Darley this year keeps improving the list.
So I'm not alone.... :)

I wanted 6 changes without naming names at the end of the year, excluding rookies as Austin and Goodes can be retained. Stew and Sam is 2. So I'm with you, 3 x ND and a PSD which I'm open to re-drafting. And we should be cutting the 3 remaining rookies.

LongWait
29-10-2013, 03:35 PM
It could well have something to do with the recruiting team's assessment of this draft. There's not much point chopping players and bringing in new ones if they're not going to be any better.

Possibly also to do with not wanting to bring on too many new players onto the main list this year - the new additions will each have 2 year contracts.

I expect we will want maximum flexibility going into next year's draft given the supposed abundance of talls and some good outside running players available in 2014. There may also be some very tasty free agents next year. We may want to cut very deep next year.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Possibly also to do with not wanting to bring on too many new players onto the main list this year - the new additions will each have 2 year contracts.

I expect we will want maximum flexibility going into next year's draft given the supposed abundance of talls and some good outside running players available in 2014. There may also be some very tasty free agents next year. We may want to cut very deep next year.

It's a good point you make but one way or the other the end of next year was always likely to be a major adjustment to the list. We could easily lose 8 players from the primary list.

To really give us a lot of flexibility we need to make sure the rookies we have on the list next year are potentially good enough for an upgrade.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 03:47 PM

This is an excellent point but I would like to see us choose a few new rookies this year

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I would happily upgrade Austin & Goodes to show the faith. Each has enough to at least be a decent depth player for a two year deal each, even as though the team will likely continue to develop spast them. So we use 96 and 114 for those 2. We brought in Crameri & Darley + we use Pick 4, 42 & 60 (maybe a VFL Ben Brown type) so there's 5 main list changes + we open up 2 rookie spots? Or maybe my maths is out?

Just feel the grass isn't greener on the other side this year so there no point in going much harder?

Bulldog Joe
29-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I would happily upgrade Austin & Goodes to show the faith. Each has enough to at least be a decent depth player for a two year deal each, even as though the team will likely continue to develop spast them. So we use 96 and 114 for those 2. We brought in Crameri & Darley + we use Pick 4, 42 & 60 (maybe a VFL Ben Brown type) so there's 5 main list changes + we open up 2 rookie spots? Or maybe my maths is out?

Just feel the grass isn't greener on the other side this year so there no point in going much harder?

I don't see any real need to give any more than 1 year.

With the view that 2014 will be a stronger draft we need to be in position to make significant changes if they are warranted.

While I'm not sure of the contract status of every player on the list, we certainly have Gia going at the end of 2014 as well as setting up to allow us to drop off a few others.

These would include Howard, Tutt, probably Pearce plus any or all of this years retained/upgraded rookies. We would also probably need Williams to get through the year to stay on the list.

This would give the scope to turnover 8 to 10 players next year and they would be well aware of the need to prove they are worthy of retention.

JohnGentStand
29-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Didn't Howard get 2 years? Shades of Hooper... Let's hope he repays the faith.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 05:39 PM

1 year IIRC

whythelongface
29-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Pretty sure he only got a one year extension.

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 05:45 PM
James Magner shown the Melbourne exit.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 01:36 PM

One year deal.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Just had another look at the delisting and only Forster (injuries, ref thread page 1) or Laidler would hold any interest for me. If we felt Forster could get past his injuries then he could be pipelined behind Murphy as a run and carry defender. Depends if we like anyone more in the draft as it would be a punt. Laider would only be a depth pick.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Ever since Laidler did his knee after being monstered by Minno in that NAB cup match in 2012 he hasn't been the same. Lost a yard of pace which makes him too tall to play on smalls, too small to play on talls and too slow to play on medium sized flankers. No thanks.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah fair call. I'm reaching - there ain't much there to work with!

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Mav Weller from the Suns looks like he'll be a player, but with the quality of our young inside mids I'd only pick him up as a rookie and it looks like we're leaning towards retaining all ours. Someone like the Saints will probably offer him a position on the senior list anyhow.

Actually, do any delisted free agents you pick up have to be placed on the senior list?

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes, they all go on the Primary list.

bornadog
30-10-2013, 03:34 PM
The list so far:

Adelaide
Ian Callinan
Nick Joyce
Tim Klaosen
Tim McIntyre
Dylan Orval

Brisbane Lions
Callum Bartlett
Aaron Cornelius
Niall McKeever
Stephen Wrigley
Richard Newell

Carlton
Andrew Collins
Fraser Dale
Marcus Davies
Aaron Joseph
Jeremy Laidler
Patrick McCarthy
Luke Mitchell
Rhys O'Keeffe

Collingwood
Alan Didak
Michael Hartley
Darren Jolly
Andrew Krakouer
Ben Richmond
Jordan Russell

Essendon
Luke Davis
Hal Hunter

Fremantle
Jesse Crichton
Peter Faulks
Alex Forster
Alex Howson
Haiden Schloithe

Geelong
Ryan Bathie
Cameron Eardley

Gold Coast
Jacob Gilbee
Kyal Horsley
Liam Patrick
Maverick Weller
Joel Wilkinson

Greater Western Sydney
Josh Growden
Setanta O'hAilpin
Joe Redfern
Bret Thornton
Gerald Ugle

Hawthorn
Andrew Boseley
Amos Frank

Melbourne
Tom Couch
Troy Davis
Tom Gillies
James Magner
James Sellar
Nathan Stark
Rory Taggert
Josh Tynan

North Melbourne
Jordan Gysberts
Ayden Kennedy
Ben Mabon
Cameron Richardson
Will Sierakowski
Ben Speight

Port Adelaide
Nathan Blee
Danny Butcher
Justin Hoskin
Darren Pfeiffer
Nick Salter
Daniel Stewart
Matt Thomas

Richmond
Luke McGuane*
Robin Nahas*

St Kilda
Tom Ledger
Jay Lever
Jordan Staley

Sydney Swans
Alex Brown

West Coast
Nil

Western Bulldogs
Dylan Addison
Nick Lower
Lukas Markovic
Patrick Veszpremi

bulldogtragic
30-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Joel Wilkinson, pick 4 rookie draft. Thoughts?

Sedat
30-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd be tempted to rookie Setanta as ruck/forward insurance. He's not quite on the Matt Spangher scale of cult hero but he's not far off it for mine. Just love his hunger to compete - surprised GWS delisted him to be honest when they still have such a young brittle lineup, although the knee reco wouldn't have helped his cause.

chef
30-10-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd be tempted to rookie Setanta as ruck/forward insurance. He's not quite on the Matt Spangher scale of cult hero but he's not far off it for mine. Just love his hunger to compete - surprised GWS delisted him to be honest when they still have such a young brittle lineup, although the knee reco wouldn't have helped his cause.

Same here.

Pass on everything else.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Bret Thornton was entering eker legend status for a while!

bornadog
30-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Tambling latest delisting.

Alwyn Davey as well.

The Underdog
30-10-2013, 05:44 PM

It's what I figure too, that they don't rate what will be left come the rookie draft and think there is more upside in the players already there. Then next year when there is likely more depth in the draft we'll have to clear pretty much the whole rookie list one way or the other.

Remi Moses
30-10-2013, 06:02 PM

He 's an awful decision maker, and just looks like an athlete trying to play football.
Wonder who recruited him?

bulldogtragic
30-10-2013, 06:12 PM
He 's an awful decision maker, and just looks like an athlete trying to play football.
Wonder who recruited him?
RD Pick 40? :)

The Underdog
30-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Nope, think he's a good VFL player but not much more. Does a few things ok but nothing particularly well.

lemmon
30-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Mcguane I thought showed some form as a leading forward, takes a nice mark. Would be tempted to have a nibble if we had an extra spot on the list

G-Mo77
30-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Mcguane I thought showed some form as a leading forward, takes a nice mark. Would be tempted to have a nibble if we had an extra spot on the list

Isn't McGuane going to Brisbane?

Greystache
30-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Isn't McGuane going to Brisbane?

I thought so, perhaps he's going there as a DFA.

Twodogs
31-10-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't mind the Idea of Setanta. The recos worry me a bit though.

1eyedog
31-10-2013, 06:35 AM
We extended Cordy's contract so I would be amazed if we drafted Setanta who would effectively take his spot if Will / Campbell had a long-term injury. I would just play Cordy in this role rather than bring in Setanta. Time to find out about Cordy.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Disagree. If you've got a player who you know isn't up to it on your list, and a player in the wings who you also don't think is up to it, but you don't really know the circumstances at their original club, it makes some sense to rotate the list and find out.

soupman
31-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Disagree. If you've got a player who you know isn't up to it on your list, and a player in the wings who you also don't think is up to it, but you don't really know the circumstances at their original club, it makes some sense to rotate the list and find out.

But what if you have two players you think might make it, one on the list already and one available in the draft?

The club clearly thinks Howard or Jong or Redpath is still a chance to make it, and unlike a new draftee it won't have to wait more than one season to find out. If we are going to have to have a player on our list who is less than 50-50 shot of making it I want to find out if they will make it as soon as possible so we can move on.

Pickenitup
31-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Sam Reid Cut From GWS

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Sam Reid Cut From GWS
3rd round pick looks good now!

Axe Man
18-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Mav Weller from the Suns looks like he'll be a player, but with the quality of our young inside mids I'd only pick him up as a rookie and it looks like we're leaning towards retaining all ours. Someone like the Saints will probably offer him a position on the senior list anyhow.

An article in the Herald Sun today has linked us with Weller, with St Kilda the other interested party.

Sedat
18-11-2013, 04:35 PM
An article in the Herald Sun today has linked us with Weller, with St Kilda the other interested party.
He should be picked up by Brisbane - then Goose can be his wing-man.

BulldogBelle
18-11-2013, 05:02 PM

He's training with them now, so hopefully we've had our feelers out for a while.

Maddog37
18-11-2013, 05:41 PM
He should be picked up by Brisbane - then Goose can be his wing-man.

Love your work Sedat but I'm not sure that would end well.