PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Addison delisted

Throughandthrough
29-10-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-10-29/dogs-lodge-final-list-change

Dogs lodge final list change
October 29, 2013 8:45 AM

Utility Dylan Addison has been told he would not be offered a position on the Bulldogs' playing list for 2014.
The Western Bulldogs have today made its final list change ahead of Thursday’s first list lodgement deadline, after utility Dylan Addison was told he would not be offered a position on the playing list for 2014.

Addison played 88 games since being drafted in 2005, spending most of his time in defence before recently being moved forward and joins Daniel Cross, Patrick Veszpremi, Lukas Markovic and Nick Lower to depart the Club this off-season.

List Manager Jason McCartney thanked the outgoing players for their commitment and contribution in the red, white and blue.

“Dylan is a popular teammate and a high quality person, who gave his all for the team during his time here,” McCartney said.

“We thank all players who have departed the Club for their dedication and input that they’ve unreservedly given to our Club, and sincerely wish them the best for the future.”

The Western Bulldogs have picks 4, 42, 60 and 96 in the upcoming National Draft following the acquisition of Stewart Crameri (Essendon) and Sam Darley (GWS) during the recent trade period with picks 26 and 78 respectively.

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

Mofra
29-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your efforts Dylan, someone who got the most out of his ability.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 10:09 AM
It's a shame to lose someone with the work ethic of Addison but it was on the cards. Just the wrong year to be coming out of contract.

All the best to Dylan Addison.

bornadog
29-10-2013, 10:12 AM
All the best to Dylan, gave everything he had on and off the field for the club.

Good luck in the future and hope it all goes well.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I've been an admirer of Dylan for his competitiveness on the football field. He's carved out a lot more games than many would've thought early on and has shown he can fill holes all over the field, playing some good games as a forward in recent years. The selection of Crameri and continued development of Stringer has squeezed him out.

Wish him all the best for securing a spot on a list somewhere else. Thanks Dylan.

ledge
29-10-2013, 10:17 AM
We should have put him on contract for another 12 games

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I've been an admirer of Dylan for his competitiveness on the football field. He's carved out a lot more games than many would've thought early on and has shown he can fill holes all over the field, playing some good games as a forward in recent years. The selection of Crameri and continued development of Stringer has squeezed him out.

Wish him all the best for securing a spot on a list somewhere else. Thanks Dylan.

Do you think GWS will pick him up now?

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I think the club made the right call on Addison.

but i'm very surprised we haven't cut into the rookie list.

IMO, Jong, Greenwood & Redpath have all had 2 years to show what they can do and have yet to prove they are even a remote chance to make in at AFL level. Think they can all consider themselves very fortunate. Perhaps a bit tough on Jong with his injury problems but I remain unconvinced.

I hope the club knows what it's doing here but it looks like blind faith to me. Surely we should be looking for fresh new players or even one or two that have been in the system and just might need another chance ie Weller, Cornelius etc. Surely these types are a better chance to make it?

bornadog
29-10-2013, 10:19 AM

They would be crazy not to. He would really help their young team.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 10:21 AM
They would be crazy not to. He would really help their young team.

Agree with this. He's a tough foot soldier and would them enormously.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 10:22 AM

They could be a strong chance.

I know he doesn't really fit the St Kilda age profile, but I wonder if he may hold some interest there given his price and Melbourne could also see some value in him. He seems a type Paul Roos may be interested in.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 10:23 AM

IMO, Jong, Greenwood & Redpath have all had 2 years to show what they can do and have yet to prove they are even a remote chance to make in at AFL level. Think they can all consider themselves very fortunate. Perhaps a bit tough on Jong with his injury problems but I remain unconvinced.

I hope the club knows what it's doing here but it looks like blind faith to me. Surely we should be looking for fresh new players or even one or two that have been in the system and just might need another chance ie Weller, Cornelius etc. Surely these types are a better chance to make it?

Doc I think there is more to come. From memory you can only have one 3rd year rookie. In that case we either upgrade Austin and/or delist at least two of Redpath/Jong and Greenwood.

We have until Thursday to make more announcements.

chef
29-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for everything you have done for our club DFA.

Would be a handy pick up for someone like Brisbane. Would rather Dyl have gotten another year than Howard(handy depth), but not to be.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Doc I think there is more to come. From memory you can only have one 3rd year rookie. In that case we either upgrade Austin and/or delist at least two of Redpath/Jong and Greenwood.

ok, might have pulled the trigger early.

Thought I read "FINAL DELISTINGS" on another site.

bornadog
29-10-2013, 10:26 AM

my gut feeling is Redpath will be delisted along with either Jong or Greenwood.

jeemak
29-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Agreed Griff, the Demons would certainly benefit from his services.

Well done to Dylan for carving out 88 games of top level footy. Not the most talented player, nor the most athletic but hard, dedicated and versatile.

Ghost Dog
29-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I had the opportunity to sit on the boundary, quite close to where Dylan was playing a few times.
I remember the thud of his body, landing on the turf, or the whack of skin to skin impact whenever he went in.

But what made me laugh was the absolute serenity or even placid look on his face while he was doing it.

Much loved player.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 10:39 AM
ok, might have pulled the trigger early.

Thought I read "FINAL DELISTINGS" on another site.

Yeah it's the first list lodgement not the final. I think you have to go early with the more senior guys so that their managers can do the rounds and that's why they have until the end of the month.

Back to Dylan, I can recall when he first started he hated the wrestling drills. Apparently Eagleton was often paired up with him and used to just work him over during the drills. A couple of seasons later, no one could bully him.

He was a very hard worker.

The Doctor
29-10-2013, 10:46 AM
A common theme with the list changes;

Addison, Cross, Vez, Lower & Marko, they were all plodders pace wise. Think we could see a quicker Dogs outfit next season

jeemak
29-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah it's the first list lodgement not the final. I think you have to go early with the more senior guys so that their managers can do the rounds and that's why they have until the end of the month.

Back to Dylan, I can recall when he first started he hated the wrestling drills. Apparently Eagleton was often paired up with him and used to just work him over during the drills. A couple of seasons later, no one could bully him.

He was a very hard worker.

I remember the game in 2008 against West Coast when he went from flat on his back in a wrestle having Kerr all over him, to using his strength to overturn the situation and monster Kerr in the end.

Strong guy, and hard as nails.

whythelongface
29-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Good luck DFA. Thank you for your service to the club. I hope you find another club for next season and beyond. I will watch your further career with interest.

Nick_7
29-10-2013, 10:57 AM
I hope he can find a new club. He could still be a handy player given the right opportunity.

always right
29-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Understand the decision but it's a sad day. Really admired Dylan's approach to his footy.....hard as nails, committed and a great team player. More ability that some give him credit for but in the end it's a numbers game and the club needs to continually improve its list.

My daughter is going to be really crapped off. She wears the number 22 on her jumper with pride.

Ghost Dog
29-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Perhaps the revival of DFA underscores the differences in coaching styles; Rocket and Mc
Was in the VFL a lot during Rocket's tenure. Always in our best 22 under Brendan.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 11:09 AM
His Twitter message was full of class.

Dylan Addison ‏@AddisonDylan

Thanks to the @westernbulldogs for the privilege of donning the RW&B for 8 years. Wish the club all the success it deserves. #greatpeople

Sedat
29-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Echo everyone else's thoughts on DFA - thanks for your unwavering dedication during your time at the club and for never, ever taking a backward step in 88 games and 8 years. Loved your 2010 finals campaign.

All I can say is Christian Howard is one of the luckiest people in Australia - I hope he understands this and actually makes something of the amazingly generous opportunity he has been given by the club in 2014.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks to the @westernbulldogs for the privilege of donning the RW&B for 8 years. Wish the club all the success it deserves. #greatpeople

All class, great to read. I bet it was a very tough decision for the club to make.

Mofra
29-10-2013, 11:25 AM
All I can say is Christian Howard is one of the luckiest people in Australia - I hope he understands this and actually makes something of the amazingly generous opportunity he has been given by the club in 2014.
Ditto, no disrespect to Howard but I know who I'd prefer on the list in 2014

always right
29-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Any chance we can restrict this thread to acknowledging the contribution of a great servant of the club without simply using this as another opportunity to pot a player who has been given another chance?

Murphy'sLore
29-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Very classy farewell. Will be sorry not to see that buccaneer facial hair next year, really hope he gets picked up by GWS or another club. All the best, Dylan.

Scraggers
29-10-2013, 11:35 AM

Really hope he gets another gig !!

#allclass

Bulldog4life
29-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Yes very classy farewell Dylan. Tried his guts out every week whether in the Firsts or Ressies.Hope he is given another opportunity.

Sedat
29-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Any chance we can restrict this thread to acknowledging the contribution of a great servant of the club without simply using this as another opportunity to pot a player who has been given another chance?
I did acknowledge DFA's contribution to our club in my post and was merely using Howard's retention to highlight how fortunate he is and unfortunate DFA is. Would have been a fair call had I only potted Howard in my post.

FWIW, I actually understand the rationale of cutting DFA and keeping Howard. With Crameri coming to the club, Dyl falls back in the pecking order even more in his position, and has realistically reached his optimum level of output at this level. Howard has yet to reach his ceiling, and luckily for him he plays in a position where we are thin on the ground for depth. It doesn't take away from the fact that he's extremely fortunate to have secured another year on our list and that Dyl was stiff.

Also now looks like we might be keeping one pick in the kitbag for the PSD. I like this, hopefully it allows 1-2 additional decent players to slide through to the PSD knowing that there is a club with an early pick apart from GWS that is willing to use their PSD pick.

BulldogBelle
29-10-2013, 11:44 AM

That's just made me incredibly sad. Thanks for everything DFA.

G-Mo77
29-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Really hope he gets another gig !!

#allclass

His response to a question on his future.

Mark Cook ‏@MarkCook14
@AddisonDylan @westernbulldogs Are you Giants bound now?

@MarkCook14 no idea mate, haven't been offered anything from anyone. Could be full time study at this rate!

:(

Going to miss the guy. Time flies, doesn't seem like 8 years. Hopefully he finds a home somewhere.

BulldogBelle
29-10-2013, 11:49 AM
If he doesn't go anywhere, why not pick him up for Footscray

The Pie Man
29-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I remember his debut game at the G against Adelaide very fondly - was a great win with some top individual performances, and a more than solid debut across half back from a speedy (yes I said speedy) Dylan Addison.

Not sure where his pace went over the journey, but he adapted admirably - while I can understand the decision, I personally would've leaned to one more year.

Thank-you Dylan for your fearless service to the Dogs.

Daughter of the West
29-10-2013, 12:19 PM

I've always had a soft spot for DFA.

Thank you Dylan for all your hard work and service in the tri colours.

mighty_west
29-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I remember watching him play two years in a row in the under 18's at Optus Oval, first year as an underager playing off the half back and dominating in the middle the year after.

Always sad to see players go especially who have been part of the club for decent amount of time, all the best Dyl.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2013, 12:33 PM

A good idea.

KT31
29-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Wishing DFA all the best and hoping he gats another gig elsewhere.
Also well done to the club for standing up and making what would have been a difficult decision.

strebla
29-10-2013, 01:21 PM
My type of player hard,tough and uncompromising was there at his first game and BJ's speech is legendary good luck to the boy we welcomed and the man as he continues his journey. Thanks DFA you are a bulldog through and through.

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Sad to see such a tough foot soldier go. My favourite DFA memory will always be his outstanding performance in the 2010 preliminary final against St. Kilda, which I'm fairly sure he played in with broken ribs. Tough as nails and a true team player. Clubs like GWS and Melbourne would be mad to not give him a crack, but if unfortunately nothing eventuates I'd love to see him rip the opposition apart for Footscray in 2014 and beyond.

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm feeling very sad that DFA has been delisted. Thanks for everything Dylan and best of luck for your future, wherever that may be.

lemmon
29-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Favourite of mine, sad to see him go. Hard as a cats head and a true team man. Not many blokes drafted that slight finish their careers as body smacking defensive forwards. Does mean we are moving forward when we are in a position to let blokes like this go though. All the best Dyl

Murphy'sLore
29-10-2013, 01:42 PM
ding ding ding, I was waiting for someone to say 'hard as a cat's head.' I'd never heard that expression before it was applied to DFA and it always makes me smile.

Axe Man
29-10-2013, 01:47 PM

This is just me theorising here but that would seem unlikely. Unless Dylan thinks he is chance of being re-drafted then our VFL team is not a very attractive proposition for a delisted AFL player in his mid twenties. I imagine the budget will be very tight for player payments and therefore will mostly be made up of younger guys trying to impress AFL sides. Older guys like Dylan will be able to pick up far more coin playing suburban or country footy.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Bitter sweet for me. I love him as a person and clubman, but he is not going to be a part of the core that gets us to the big dance (hopefully). Tough gig this footy, but he gave everything he had and that shouldn't be overlooked considering the plethora of players that have come through our club and not even given their best. Thanks Dylan.

always right
29-10-2013, 01:52 PM
88 games in the AFL is a pretty good achievement. He should be proud....and reasonably confident that another club will help him add to that tally.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 02:02 PM
88 games in the AFL is a pretty good achievement. He should be proud....and reasonably confident that another club will help him add to that tally.
88 games was it... Under my father/son policy we would limp him to 100 and then cut him loose. Mark this post for 20 years time please.

LostDoggy
29-10-2013, 02:10 PM
One of favourite players to watch, I was always pleased to see his name on the team sheet. I wouldn't swap him for a hundred josh hills.

strebla
29-10-2013, 02:12 PM
One of favourite players to watch, I was always pleased to see his name on the team sheet. I wouldn't swap him for a hundred josh hills.

No me either he is as committed a player I can remember at the club !!!!!

Happy Days
29-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Have to admire his attitude and courage if not his ability. Thanks Dylan for your service and hope someone else gives you a second chance.

josie
29-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I've always had a soft spot for DFA.

Thank you Dylan for all your hard work and service in the tri colours.

Wholeheartedly seconded. Hope you get a spot with another club - I reckon GWS or Melbourne would appreciate your tenacity and toughness. You departing twitter message shows your class. All the best Dylan !!

EasternWest
29-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Sad face.

robb
29-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Respected.

Best wishes for the future Dylan.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Tough but correct decision.

He's still good enough to play games of AFL footy, and no doubt would have if he stayed with us, but given our list and our direction it was the right move going forward.

Form all reports he's a very, very genuine guy and that has come out on that tweet he sent. All class.

Surely GWS would be a good fit, or even Melbourne? The latter are in dire need of somebody to set standards when it comes to putting your body on the line and doing the team thing. Addison would be good for them, IMO.

ratsmac
29-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Never shirked a contest that DFA.
Well done on a decent career. Wish him all the best on his future.

Before I Die
29-10-2013, 07:04 PM

I just tried to check the rules for rookie re-listing and i found the below. No mention of only being allowed one third year rookie that I could find.

10.10 Retention of Rookie List Players
(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32, prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.
(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 10.10, any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.
(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 10.5(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season

Before I Die
29-10-2013, 07:08 PM

I disagree strongly with this. I think that if they are retained that is because the coaching staff have had a good look and like what they see. Greenwood needs time to put on some size and Jong needs to polish his skills. I think they have shown a lot and there are very good things to come.

Webby
29-10-2013, 07:47 PM
One thing I know for sure, now, is that Addison will have two sons who will be All-Australian material circa 2035-2040!.. It's just what happens when we get rid of blokes around the 90 game mark!

Maddog37
29-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Hope he does. He has earned a bit of luck.

AndrewP6
29-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Sad to see this, though not unexpected. All the best to DFA.

Remi Moses
29-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Good luck DFA..
Got the most out of himself

SonofScray
29-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Pretty sad at this news, but no doubt in my mind the Club has gone through a tough decision making process and made the sort of call we'd expect them to.

Dylan played the game for us in a manner which appeals to the identity of the Club and over 88 matches played became a real favourite of mine. Loved yelling out "DEEEEEE EFFFFFFF AAAAAA" Just enjoyed watching him give us his best in every scenario. Did his part.

Blokes like that deserves all the opportunities that come their way and you just wish sometimes a more fancied player would meet the effort and drive he put in.

always right
29-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Imagine the attitude of Addison combined with the skill of Higgins.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 11:09 PM

In the body of Griffen. Hang on, lets just clone Griff. :D

On Addison, one thing I can be certain of is that no matter what challenges life throws at him post footy, he's going to be fine and capable of dealing with it. What a strong, well considered young man. I can imagine Macca hating to make this decision because DFA would've ticked so many of the character boxes we want to build our club around.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Can modern science do this yet? I'd have a side full of them.

gohardorgohome
29-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I always respect the guy that's not so talented but gets the most out of themselves by hard work and dedication. Much more worth than all the talent in the world but just cruises on through....
Dylan Addison was always one of my favorite players...... I thought he copped a lot of unwarranted criticism from many Woofers...

McCartney and co must think the list is very good shape if DFA is delisted......

I hope the players who are yet to fulfill their talent use this delisting as a inspiration to make the most of their AFL opportunity.

jeemak
29-10-2013, 11:43 PM

I'm assuming this is just a reference to Higgins sublime skill and not a perception of a less than adequate attitude displayed by him?

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Will be pretty crap to see Cross and DFA winning a stack of contested ball at Melbourne next year.

Had the pleasure of speaking with Dylan a few times as he always had time for a chat. Very country attitude and a very funny guy.

He'll be missed around the club no doubt.

A Ford
30-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Anyone ask how we can delisted Addison but give Howard another year?

1eyedog
30-10-2013, 12:06 AM

Seems the club is clear on what it gets from Dylan but not what it may possibly get from Howard even though many on here have made up their minds about him.

bornadog
30-10-2013, 09:54 AM

I guess after 88 games and 8 seasons we know we won't get much more out of Dylan. With Howard, he has youth and potential on his side - time will tell but I am sceptical.

GVGjr
30-10-2013, 10:03 AM

I guess after 88 games and 8 seasons we know we won't get much more out of Dylan. With Howard, he has youth and potential on his side - time will tell but I am sceptical.

I agree with BAD, a very hard decision to let Addison go but another 12 months with Howard will tell the story if he is capable of achieving a 100 plus game career with us. The coaches are showing a bit of faith with Howard and I think that is a good move.

GVGjr
30-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Just realised that DFA is a DFA (Delisted Free Agent)

always right
30-10-2013, 12:08 PM

:)

Can you please tell me why this board hasn't introduced a "like" button?

GVGjr
30-10-2013, 12:14 PM
:)

Can you please tell me why this board hasn't introduced a "like" button?

It's due for an upgrade. Might do it mid December. If VB has it I'll see if it can be added.
As a discussion forum, I wonder if too many will take the easy option and just keep selecting the Like option. There is a lot of bells and whistles that can be added but to me it's more about what can help generate discussions.

Back to DFA

G-Mo77
30-10-2013, 12:16 PM

I wonder if he knows why he's referred to as DFA.

OLD SCRAGGer
30-10-2013, 12:50 PM
[ I thought he copped a lot of unwarranted criticism from many Woofers...

I hope the players who are yet to fulfill their talent use this delisting as a inspiration to make the most of their AFL opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree !!!!

always right
30-10-2013, 01:00 PM
It's due for an upgrade. Might do it mid December. If VB has it I'll see if it can be added.
As a discussion forum, I wonder if too many will take the easy option and just keep selecting the Like option. There is a lot of bells and whistles that can be added but to me it's more about what can help generate discussions.

Back to DFA

Thanks. Agree on having it as a discussion topic.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-10-2013, 08:18 PM
And they laughed at my Hawkins cloning project. DFA is the personification of "Cracking In".

Greystache
30-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I always admire a player who gets the absolute most out of themselves, not everyone can say that, but Addison can.

Some people are going to have to find a new scapegoat.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Sentimentality, the luxury a supporter can afford. Sigh. Feeling rather low that another of my hard nut favourites has been told his playing time with us is over. Remember fondly when Johnno inadvertently christened Dylan 'DFA'. Do they still do the jumper/new player thing out on the ground? Best of luck to Dylan for the future.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your hard nut style Dylan! All the best for your future! :)

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 08:43 AM

He'd be heading back to Sydney, by the look of his Twitter feed.

A Ford
31-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I always admire a player who gets the absolute most out of themselves, not everyone can say that, but Addison can.

Some people are going to have to find a new scapegoat.

Like Giansiracusa, Minson or Grant?

Happy Days
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Going to the GWS as a delisted free agent.

Congratulations Dylan.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Good for him, great for GWS too. And for marketing in Canberra. Win-Win.

Congrats DFA.

Hot_Doggies
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Good for him, great for GWS too. And for marketing in Canberra. Win-Win.

Congrats DFA.

Good for DFA no doubt, not sure about marketing in Canberra...

Murphy'sLore
07-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Reunion of the cement heads… Good for you, DFA.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Good for DFA no doubt, not sure about marketing in Canberra...
My impression of the Canberra media is they focus on any player with roots to Canberra, ie he did pressers with the coach after match before Tutty came along. I'll happily bet $50 he will be interviewed this year for a piece in a Canberra paper.

I hope he does because he might be able to get personal sponsorship opportunities, a nice cherry on top of extending his career.

Scorlibo
07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
My impression of the Canberra media is they focus on any player with roots to Canberra, ie he did pressers with the coach after match before Tutty came along. I'll happily bet $50 he will be interviewed this year for a piece in a Canberra paper.

I hope he does because he might be able to get personal sponsorship opportunities, a nice cherry on top of extending his career.

He has family in Canberra, met his cousin the other day by chance actually, but pretty sure he's from Sydney.

In regards to Canberra marketing, the biggest drawcard there was my old teammate Josh Bruce - who has gone to St Kilda! Still not sure whether he will be a player but was certainly shaping as one of the home grown success stories.

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Interesting that this somehow didn't get over the line for a late pick that GWS were never going to use, say pick 48?

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Interesting that this somehow didn't get over the line for a late pick that GWS were never going to use, say pick 48?

Or even just a straight swap for Darley.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Maybe Dylan didn't initially want to do it?

Remi Moses
07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Just don't think he was good enough .
Scapegoat gets bandied around like the term "un Australian"

mighty_west
07-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Like Giansiracusa, Minson or Grant?

Let's hope Grant continues to get the most out of himself like Dylan did.

Sedat
07-11-2013, 09:09 PM
This is effectively what it is. We gave up a pick we weren't going to use and replaced DFA on our main list with Darley. My preference was to upgrade our pick 42 to GWS' pick 29 but I think that was a very optimistic suggestion on my part.

GVGjr
07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
It's great to know that Addison is now a GWS Giant. He deserved to be on a list.

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Great news, well done dylan!

Bulldog Revolution
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
The best bit of non bulldog footy news of the season

jeemak
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
The best bit of non bulldog footy news of the season

What about Brian Lake winning a Norm Smith? :p

Good on Dylan for getting another crack. Hopefully he can use this opportunity to forge a personally successful second career phase.

jeemak
07-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Just don't think he was good enough .
Scapegoat gets bandied around like the term "un Australian"

I too get frustrated with the scapegoat throwaway line when people commentate objectively on a player they don't believe is going to be part of future plans, or contribute based on their strengths only, when those strengths may be perceived as inadequate.

Guys like Dylan and Gia bring out the most charitable and the most negative comments from people across their careers. That's just how footy is.

EasternWest
08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
It's great to know that Addison is now a GWS Giant. He deserved to be on a list.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

I too get frustrated with the scapegoat throwaway line when people commentate objectively on a player they don't believe is going to be part of future plans, or contribute based on their strengths only, when those strengths may be perceived as inadequate.

Guys like Dylan and Gia bring out the most charitable and the most negative comments from people across their careers. That's just how footy is.

Well said.

My only disagreement is that a lot of negative comments directed towards players aren't objective at all. I'm not talking just Addsion or Gia here, just a general observation. People have their opinions on players, good or bad, and judge them according to those opinions (myself included). When I make a comment that is influenced by my obvious bias, I try really hard to keep it on the level.

Some of the things said about Addison and Gia on this forum have been downright outrageous.

Go_Dogs
08-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Very happy for him, great to read. Hopefully he can carve out a few good years over there and be involved in mentoring some of their younger players.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Hard nut Dylan Addison says goodbye to the Doggies with more than one fan sad to see him go. Rocket had his favorites and Dylan wasn't one of them. Described as an average player, VFL quality, a plodder, the forum seemed pretty divided on his attributes over the years.

Brendan showed total faith in him. Even during the Eade years, he was one player who stood up in finals footy. An army needs its footsoldiers, the men who provide a consistent platform for others to rise upon.
I'm sad to see him go because he was so fun to watch and you always knew what you were getting when that mop of scruffy hair zeroed in on a pack.
Wish you all the best DFA.

bornadog
08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Hard nut Dylan Addison says goodbye to the Doggies with more than one fan sad to see him go. Rocket had his favorites and Dylan wasn't one of them. Described as an average player, VFL quality, a plodder, the forum seemed pretty divided on his attributes over the years.

Brendan showed total faith in him. Even during the Eade years, he was one player who stood up in finals footy. An army needs its footsoldiers, the men who provide a consistent platform for others to rise upon.
I'm sad to see him go because he was so fun to watch and you always knew what you were getting when that mop of scruffy hair zeroed in on a pack.
Wish you all the best DFA.

Can't agree, Rocket loved Dylan's hardness and really wanted him in the team. Gave him plenty of games.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Can't agree, Rocket loved Dylan's hardness and really wanted him in the team. Gave him plenty of games.
Yeah, I thought Rocket loved him too.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Was out of our best 22 for a good while. Then a new coach, and bang, he's back in. There was an upgrade in his status the moment Brendan walked in the door.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Was out of our best 22 for a good while. Then a new coach, and bang, he's back in. There was an upgrade in his status the moment Brendan walked in the door.
Aker Sacked
Hahn retired
Welsh retired
Robbins retired
Johno retired
Josh Hill traded
Hall retired
Grant went missing
Higgins perennially injured
Murphy was playing forward / now back
Gia was firing / now sub, pocket small

It was just a gut feeling that Eade liked him, I never had the feeling he wasn't wanted. But we had a very good forward line 2008-11. So it was harder to get a game than what it has been this season (hence he wasn't best 22 for a few years). We lost talent and he stepped up in this absence. Next year our forward line will be better, thus, the Maccas let him go to greener pastures.

jeemak
08-11-2013, 11:13 PM

Mate, Eade had a lot of good players at the right age playing for him, BMac didn't.

Dylan was given a very fair go under Eade.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 11:59 PM
The upside is he will probably end up a premiership player.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 12:16 AM
The upside is he will probably end up a premiership player.

I can see him struggling to put more than one or two seasons together at GWS, if they keep their list together.

He's not going to go to Sydney and gain more pace, better decision making skills, more creativity and a greater likelihood to win the ball. For mine, the reality is we in 2012-2013 and likely in 2014 were and will be so far off the pace players like Dylan present as more often than not viable for selection. GWS are going to be the same for a few years yet, and as they improve Dylan's likely to be overtaken by better credentialed players.

He's a much better footballer than I ever was, and he's a much better footballer than a lot of other players to have played at the top level. Having said that, I think he's merely a stop-gap for GWS until they improve.

If he proves me wrong, I'll dips me lid to him one hundred per cent.

Ghost Dog
09-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Mate, Eade had a lot of good players at the right age playing for him, BMac didn't.

Dylan was given a very fair go under Eade.

Opps...getting the 'mate' now.
Disagree. Don't think he was. I would have had Addison ahead of lot of other guys who were getting games, while he was in the VFL.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Disagree. Don't think he was. I would have had Addison ahead of lot of other guys who were getting games, while he was in the VFL.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by calling you mate.

Name your players.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Addison was definitely in Eade's plans, and in 2008 he was playing every week (and playing well) before injuring himself and missing the rest of the year IIRC. Pretty sure the game was against Carlton too.

He did struggle a little from then on, but his form picked up in 2012/2013.

I remember when he first came to the club and played in the VFL, he was actually reasonably quick and took the game on from half back. He seemed to lose this pace and dash over the years, and obviously became a pretty fearless hard nut.

Remi Moses
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Nobody wanted to trade for Dylan, so you'd assume he wasn't rated by other clubs.

Happy Days
09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
This all feels very Brennan Stack-ish.

Addison, for what an upstanding citizen he is, was not very good. Calling it scapegoating is stupid because the only argument against scapegoating seems to be "OMG SCAPEGOATING"

Addison isn't AFL standard, the club agrees, let's move on?

LostDoggy
09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
The arguments about being "liked" by either Eade or BMac are interesting. Is he "liked" by Cameron as well?

Dylan is a guy who is always going to sit 16-50 on a clubs list depending on where the development of the club is at. He'd probably be top 15 at StKilda next year. He has earned, never been gifted, the 85 odd games he's played by grafting the most out of the talent he has. Think coachs probably all do love him because he's a realist in terms of his gifts but he gets 100 percent out of what gifts he has. Probably 100 more naturally skilled players never play AFL level as they don't work as hard as Dylan has and are not prepared to put in an absolute team first mentality.

Good bloke; cracks in. Wish him all the best and if he gets to a 100 game career he's done it by working as hard or harder than some 200 game players we could list.

The Doctor
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I would argue Dylan was more entitled to a 12 month contract than Howard.

azabob
09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Is it as simple as

IN Crameri

OUT Addison

I think it is.

Addison last half of the year deserved another contract.

The Doctor
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Is it as simple as

IN Crameri

OUT Addison

I think it is.

Addison last half of the year deserved another contract.

I'd say so.

I think we were right to move Addison but we was more worthy of an extension than Howard. Whatever role we see for Howard in the future I would argue Addison would have done it better anyway

azabob
09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd say so.

I think we were right to move Addison but we was more worthy of an extension than Howard. Whatever role we see for Howard in the future I would argue Addison would have done it better anyway

I do agree with your comments re Howard. Hopefully he proves all the doubters wrong.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I suppose worthiness of securing a contract is dependent on how you measure each player. Dylan was seen as definitely not going to contribute to our long term plans, while Howard was seen as somebody who could improve sufficiently to do so.

With that in mind, Howard deserved the contract and Dylan didn't. Maybe it's not fair, but that's just how the AFL works, untapped potential can sometimes count for more than realised output. From what I can gather Howard is a hard worker, and has a good attitude. I really don't see what the issue is.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I suppose worthiness of securing a contract is dependent on how you measure each player. Dylan was seen as definitely not going to contribute to our long term plans, while Howard was seen as somebody who could improve sufficiently to do so.

With that in mind, Howard deserved the contract and Dylan didn't. Maybe it's not fair, but that's just how the AFL works, untapped potential can sometimes count for more than realised output. From what I can gather Howard is a hard worker, and has a good attitude. I really don't see what the issue is.

The first part of your post is undoubtedly the reasoning behind the list management decisions re: Addison and Howard, and whilst it is understandable, there is still a difference between 'deserving' a contract and getting one. Cordy got a 3 year contract and didn't earn it, Mulligan got promoted and a 2 year deal and didn't earn it, Hooper got promoted and didn't earn it etc.

I don't have a huge issue with it given this upcoming draft is supposedly quite poor in depth, but I can understand why others do. The reality is that despite Howard being a good bloke/hard worker, he hasn't even been adequate at VFL level to date.

I'd say Addison is unlucky and Howard is lucky, but it doesn't mean the list management was wrong. As you said, just the way the system works.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 08:08 PM
I guess it comes down to the differences between deserving and earning something.

Completely agree that Mulligan, Cordy, Howard and Hooper didn't earn their various contracts and extensions. You could make good arguments for and against, whether they were deserving of their respective deals.

Dylan put in the work to earn a new contract, but he wasn't deserving due to his limitations and exposed form according to the club.

ledge
09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
The first part of your post is undoubtedly the reasoning behind the list management decisions re: Addison and Howard, and whilst it is understandable, there is still a difference between 'deserving' a contract and getting one. Cordy got a 3 year contract and didn't earn it, Mulligan got promoted and a 2 year deal and didn't earn it, Hooper got promoted and didn't earn it etc.

I don't have a huge issue with it given this upcoming draft is supposedly quite poor in depth, but I can understand why others do. The reality is that despite Howard being a good bloke/hard worker, he hasn't even been adequate at VFL level to date.

I'd say Addison is unlucky and Howard is lucky, but it doesn't mean the list management was wrong. As you said, just the way the system works.

They were given contracts under a different regime, different times, different position on ladder etc

bornadog
30-10-2015, 12:29 PM
did he even play a game this year?

Veteran Dylan Addison retired after 93 games with the Western Bulldogs and GWS to take up a welfare role at the Giants.

Templeton31
30-10-2015, 12:59 PM
did he even play a game this year?

No. Almost certainly would have been delisted last year except for the contract he got when he left us.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2015, 10:21 AM
I always liked Addison. Competitive, hard at it and always gave 100%.

He had his limitations and the game has gone past him a bit given his skills and speed but nonetheless it's a good effort to play 90+ games of AFL.

Remi Moses
31-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Good luck to DFA .

Ghost Dog
02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Had a bit of a renaissance there for a while and would have been interested to see him under Bevo.
Always stood up even when we were getting thrashed. You could hear the thwack! of his tackles from the outer.

bornadog
02-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Had a bit of a renaissance there for a while and would have been interested to see him under Bevo.
Always stood up even when we were getting thrashed. You could hear the thwack! of his tackles from the outer.

He would have been a great player in the 1980's.

Sedat
02-11-2015, 12:46 PM
He would have been a great player in the 1980's.
So would Tom Libba - do an all-nighter in King St, get busted by the cops, get to training 4 hours later without missing a beat. Could have slotted into Carlton's mosquito fleet in the 80's with ease ;)

Goes without saying that Tom's a gun in today's game.

LostDoggy
02-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Fair call. A reasonable argument could be made that there wasn't much difference between DFA and Liam Picken at the time Addison got the tap on the shoulder. Look what Picken has blossomed into under Bevo.

1eyedog
03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Fair call. A reasonable argument could be made that there wasn't much difference between DFA and Liam Picken at the time Addison got the tap on the shoulder. Look what Picken has blossomed into under Bevo.

One major difference. Picken covers the ground far quicker so affects more contests and can apply greater pressure. Valuable commodity.

Rocco Jones
03-11-2015, 05:10 PM
One major difference. Picken covers the ground far quicker so affects more contests and can apply greater pressure. Valuable commodity.

Pace is the obvious one for sure. Picken also has a more penetrating kick, meaning lack of precise foot skills/decision making less of a problem, as well as always having a stronger ability to find the ball than DFA.

Another thing, as well as being quicker, Liam is more agile. So basically quite a few differences!!

Twodogs
03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Liam has better footy smarts too.

Rocco Jones
03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Liam has better footy smarts too.

So...
- kicking penetration
- speed
- stamina
- agility
- ability to find ball
- footy smarts

Besides that, Picken had nothing over DFA.

1eyedog
03-11-2015, 09:15 PM
OK besides:
- kicking penetration
- speed
- stamina
- agility
- ability to find ball
- footy smarts

DFA had nothing over Picken.

Marking ability I reckon and that's about it.

Rocco Jones
03-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Marking ability I reckon and that's about it.

Whoops, was meant to be a joke about Picken having nothing over DFA but had them the wrong way around (Frued!). I feel bad teasing DFA, love him.

Twodogs
04-11-2015, 03:04 AM
I feel like I'm shooting Bambi. Love ya DFA!

bornadog
02-12-2015, 05:09 PM
FROM BULLDOG PUP TO GIANT LEADER (http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/from-bulldog-pup-to-giant-leader/)

Homesickness, disappointment, injuries, getting dropped.
Laughs, finals footy, milestones, leadership, a fresh start.
Throughout 10 years in the system, Dylan Addison experienced most of the highs and lows an AFL career has to offer.
Now, he’s looking to use those experiences to help shape the lives of the next generation of young stars in Western Sydney – the region where he grew up. The rugged Bulldog-turned-Giant has recently taken on the role of Welfare Manager at the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

“It’s not something I had a childhood dream of doing, but the idea’s grown on me over the last 12 months,” Addison told aflplayers.com.au.

It’s been a couple of months since the AFL dream came to an end.

Since then, he’s also finished his tertiary studies. Throughout his 10-year AFL career, Addison chipped away at a Bachelor of Exercise Science and Human Movement. He completed his final exam a fortnight ago.

“Doing the degree, I found myself interested in the physio/rehab side. I see there’s a link between that and the welfare role at the Giants, so it’s a great opportunity for personal development.”

As part of his role, the 28-year-old will teach the Giants life-skills like managing money, cooking and cleaning. But the biggest challenge will be teaching them how to cope with the ongoing demands and challenges that come with an AFL career.

“Hopefully I can help some of the young guys, and understand some of the situations they’ll find themselves in,” Addison said.

“Trying to keep these guys in a positive mindset for as long as possible will give them the best chance of having a successful career, and the Giants the best chance of being successful.”

Addison is one of a handful of ex-Bulldogs shaping a club still in its infancy.

Coach Leon Cameron spent 10 years playing for the Bulldogs in the 90s before working at the club as an assistant coach from 2004 to 2010. Co-captain Callan Ward played 60 games in red, white and blue before defecting to Greater Western Sydney at the end of 2011, while former Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen famously followed in Ward’s footsteps, joining the Giants ahead of the 2015 season.

Addison reflected that this quartet, all of whom played a part in the Bulldogs’ run of three consecutive preliminary final appearances between 2008 and 2010, shares a number of core values.

“Footy’s a pretty simple game. Sometimes that can get lost on players and coaches. But two things that we all bring are competitiveness and honesty. If you’ve got those two characteristics, as a footballer or in life in general, that’s a pretty good start.

Addison is encouraged by the competitiveness of the Giants’ playing group collectively – he says they’re “serious about it doing what’s required to move up the ladder” – and enjoys having honest relationships and conversations with the players individually.

Even though, as a welfare manager, he’ll be expected to guide his former teammates off-field, Addison is comfortable speaking honestly about his own pathway.

“It wasn’t a career that I saw on the radar, but having a career of 10 years in the AFL and having this opportunity coming up, I wanted to stay involved in the AFL system. Who knows how long I’ll be in this role or what opportunities will come from this?

“I want to impart that on the players: you never know what opportunities are out there. You’ve just got to keep putting your hand up and putting your best foot forward because you never know what opportunities will come up in the future.”