PDA

View Full Version : St Kilda sack Watters

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Just on SEN.

St Kilda have sacked Scott Watters!

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
He was on SEN this morning being all positive !

Sedat
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
So Neeld, Watters and BMac all started 2 years ago as first-time senior AFL coaches, and only BMac remains. Brutal business.

Murphy'sLore
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
As soon as I heard the phrase 'full support of the board,' I thought, uh-oh.

What dumb timing! What's going on?

GVGjr
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
So Neeld, Watters and BMac all started 2 years ago as first-time senior AFL coaches, and only BMac remains. Brutal business.

Very much so.

There must be a bit more to the Watters sacking than whta has been mentioned so far.

2 of Micks boys gone in quick succession.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Sacking the coach weeks out from the national draft just goes to show who's really steering the ship down at Seaford...

Cyberdoggie
01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
That's bizarre, i was listening to that interview this morning.

It was all "no there is no issues here, we get along great and it's blown out of proportion".

Either it was just bad timing or perhaps the board heard it and thought something else of it.

Weird.

whythelongface
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Sanderson also remains (think he started 2 years ago as a senior coach)

But yep brutal alright. Really strange timing. Both Brisbane and the Saints are in deep poo at the moment.

Sedat
01-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Agree with GVG, clearly there's more at play behind the scenes than what has been publicly aired. Mark Fine plays up to the persona as a raving lunatic but he is quite measured when talking about his team, St Kilda. But he was absolutely definitive in his assertions on SEN a couple of months ago that Watters needed to be sacked immediately, which tells me Watters had lost the playing group very early on in his tenure (much like Neeld did).

On a side note, Maverick Weller has nominated St Kilda as his preferred club of choice. Wonder if he is now a little more amenable to other offers?

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
That's bizarre, i was listening to that interview this morning.

It was all "no there is no issues here, we get along great and it's blown out of proportion".

Either it was just bad timing or perhaps the board heard it and thought something else of it.

Weird.

I heard it too. It was all "nothing to see here folks'' It came across as a preemptive strike to try and keep his job. As soon as he said that the President was fully supportive of him I thought he was in strife.

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Daniel Harford is saying on SEN that St Kilda were not happy that he was on air this morning. Pretty much sad that they asked him not to do it. Surely that wasn't the tipping point though?

Murphy'sLore
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
It sounds more as if they asked him not to go on air because they knew this was coming.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
David King's tweet this morning:

"Only 12 months ago S Watters called the Saints a "juggernaught", retracted to a rebuild 10 games later. Clubs must know where they are at!"

Sums up Scott Watters' tenure for me. When he started they were a year behind on a rebuild compared to us but they were content to plod along. Compare that to BMac and it's no wonder he's the last remaining of himself, Neeld and Watters. Well done to the people who brought Brendan to the Club.

Scraggers
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow ... just wow!!

Mofra
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Rabble.
Going to take a long time to turn SS St Kilda around - I pity their next coach.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Sanderson also remains (think he started 2 years ago as a senior coach)

But yep brutal alright. Really strange timing. Both Brisbane and the Saints are in deep poo at the moment.

Billy Longer must be hearing the sizzle; frying pan - fire....

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Billy Longer must be hearing the sizzle; frying pan - fire....

Heh! Poor kid.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Heh! Poor kid.

And to think he just missed out on the Hawks... his new nick name might have to be Bad News Billy!

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Agree with GVG, clearly there's more at play behind the scenes than what has been publicly aired. Mark Fine plays up to the persona as a raving lunatic but he is quite measured when talking about his team, St Kilda. But he was absolutely definitive in his assertions on SEN a couple of months ago that Watters needed to be sacked immediately, which tells me Watters had lost the playing group very early on in his tenure (much like Neeld did).

On a side note, Maverick Weller has nominated St Kilda as his preferred club of choice. Wonder if he is now a little more amenable to other offers?

I heard that about Mark Fine. Any idea why he was so adamant about it? There clearly is something more going on behind the scenes

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Daniel Harford is saying on SEN that St Kilda were not happy that he was on air this morning. Pretty much sad that they asked him not to do it. Surely that wasn't the tipping point though?

Harford defends clubs and players at every turn.
Caller asked how would the players coming in feel?
Harford reckons they wouldn't worry about it!
Come on
Now the dwarf stuff was about their coach

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
So no coaches input into the draft... Pelchan has free reign.

jeemak
01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Sounds to me like the players run the St Kilda FC. Why else would they continually get away with the shit they pull?

GVGjr
01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
So no coaches input into the draft... Pelchan has free reign.

I don't think it's his call. They have a strong recruiting team. GM of Footy Ops should have other duties

Happy Days
01-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Watters got dealt a terrible hand, running into the post-Lyon apocalyptic state of the list, compounded with some awful drafting just befoe he arrived. Was always going to up against it, and whoever takes over will be walking into an even worse situation, list-wise; their second best player is Jack Steven!

Having said that, he's flamed out spectacularly; as others have said there has to be more at play here. Regardless of people's opinions of Mark Fine, he has his finger on the pulse at St Kilda and he has been all over this.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
If any team has to become the new Demons, I'm just glad it's those mongrels.

Cyberdoggie
01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
The AFL website has an article describing how the radio interview was the last straw, and that Watters didn't have the approval of his club to do it.

Watters then told SEN that he had approval before going on air.

The club was having ongoing struggles trying to keep the coach from running his own agenda.

the final straw (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/watters-sacked-by-saints)

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Thinking about it, Grant Thomas, Ross Lyon going to Freo, sex scandals galore, now Watters — the Saints are a fantastic source of off-season entertainment.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Watters being fired has dwarfed the Mad Monday fiasco.

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Sounds to me like the players run the St Kilda FC. Why else would they continually get away with the shit they pull?

They always have. For as long as I can remember their players appointed and sacked coaches. Lyon looks like he jumped at exactly the right time.

The Pie Man
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM

That's my take too - I read weeks ago that the spray Watters gave them over their Mad Monday fiasco wasn't well received.....give me a spell boys; whatever bake you copped was more than well deserved.

Now that's a long re-build for a new coach. Debacle

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
So it's true, St Kilda don't accept medocrity anymore.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
They're talking up Harvey as a successor.
Favourite son as coach to please the masses I guess
Folks brace yourself for a long drawn out draft, with Pelchen taking. 5 minutes per selection!!

Ghost Dog
01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Saints Supporters, your club is a constant source of amusement. And I'm not referring to the Luna park variety.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Saints Supporters, your club is a constant source of amusement. And I'm not referring to the Luna park variety.

Their media fan base fawn over the players as well.
Has anyone ever heard Bruce Eva Francis Leech ( like both of them )or any of the SEN lot?
They carry on like groupies

JohnGentStand
01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
That's the 2nd midget to get burnt there this year :)

G-Mo77
01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Rabble.

That's all I can think of to Mofra. What a rabble!

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 06:00 PM
That's all I can think of to Mofra. What a rabble!

The supplements crisis at Essendon and now this at St. Kilda, couldn't have asked for better!

Twodogs
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Watters being fired has dwarfed the Mad Monday fiasco.

Very good.

bornadog
01-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Now that is the funniest thing I have read on WOOF:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jeemak
01-11-2013, 09:24 PM
That's my take too - I read weeks ago that the spray Watters gave them over their Mad Monday fiasco wasn't well received.....give me a spell boys; whatever bake you copped was more than well deserved.

Now that's a long re-build for a new coach. Debacle

If I was involved in a media fiasco that was the result of a person's clothes being set on fire (aside from getting into trouble for setting a person's clothes on fire) I don't think any spray would be too harsh, especially if I was a member of a group that had extremely questionable social form.

The word culture gets thrown around a lot within AFL commentary, and for good reason with respect to the Saints.

Maddog37
01-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Did they wait until recruits had signed before letting the cat out of the bag to make the sell a bit easier?

Fairly callous approach if true.

ledge
01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
How big was Breretons bake, biggest one I have ever heard on radio, he wouldn't mention the name but seriously left no question on who he thinks the problem is.
God I love Brereton when he is on song

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
What about the presidents corporate spin
"We went through a review process, there were a number of things we had to be rigorous about."
"Including our structures"
What on earth does that mean?
Why wouldn't you just say there was an untenable relationship with Scott and people at the club!
If I were a member there I'd be asking questions on why my president can't tell his members the truth.

Happy Days
01-11-2013, 09:46 PM
How big was Breretons bake, biggest one I have ever heard on radio, he wouldn't mention the name but seriously left no question on who he thinks the problem is.

Could you expand on this? Missed the segment.

azabob
01-11-2013, 10:03 PM

What do you mean? Wasnt it Pelchen?

Hotdog60
01-11-2013, 10:35 PM
What do you mean? Wasnt it Pelchen?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/dermie-slams-pelchen

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Thank heavens I don't barrack for this mob. Their supporters must be feeling let down tonight.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 11:34 PM

The problem is Dermie is conflicted because Watters is his best mate.

jeemak
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/307203-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

So what if I just farted? I run this club!

azabob
01-11-2013, 11:56 PM
The problem is Dermie is conflicted because Watters is his best mate.

But Brereton is right about Pelechen and how his self promotion is all rubbish & a myth.

mjp
02-11-2013, 12:17 AM
RM is right - Brereton and Watters are great mates.

Players coming to the club? The 'big names' would care and care deeply about who is coaching...but the FA/Trade period is over now and there are none of them left...the guys who are left just want a club, any club, to give them a home.

St Kilda's supporters were painful during the Lyon era when they were winning, but I don't really wish ill on them or their club - they are perennial battlers (dare I say - just like us) and don't really deserve to cop everything that has been going on their lately. I dislike the playing group intensely due to the frequency of off-field transgressions and generally 'grubby' nature of the trouble they have gotten into (rape charges and school girls) but as supporters none of us get to make rational decisions about the teams we follow - we support who we support, like it or lump it - and I just generally feel sorry for the Saints fans...

That said, there have been some pretty amazing stories going around about the Saints under Watters so maybe this decision is the one that will allow them to move forward???

jeemak
02-11-2013, 12:40 AM
RM is right - Brereton and Watters are great mates.

Players coming to the club? The 'big names' would care and care deeply about who is coaching...but the FA/Trade period is over now and there are none of them left...the guys who are left just want a club, any club, to give them a home.

St Kilda's supporters were painful during the Lyon era when they were winning, but I don't really wish ill on them or their club - they are perennial battlers (dare I say - just like us) and don't really deserve to cop everything that has been going on their lately. I dislike the playing group intensely due to the frequency of off-field transgressions and generally 'grubby' nature of the trouble they have gotten into (rape charges and school girls) but as supporters none of us get to make rational decisions about the teams we follow - we support who we support, like it or lump it - and I just generally feel sorry for the Saints fans...

That said, there have been some pretty amazing stories going around about the Saints under Watters so maybe this decision is the one that will allow them to move forward???

Well said about the helplessness of the Saints fans, to a point. However, I will never, ever forget how horrible they were to us throughout and after the 2009 preliminary final.

This is a club that has had over the last eight to ten years a cheer squad representing them on the biggest sports radio station in the country. They have had their chance to make good and demand the best of their administration, and they have failed.

They will get what they deserve.

Remi Moses
02-11-2013, 03:19 AM
It's almost Boy Band type adulation on that Sports radio station .
It's funny listening to Mark Fine belittle Carro for months on not naming her "Sources" ( re Bomber drug scandal ) yet when it came to his Saints and the info he had. No can do!
I've got no issue with the sacking, but the corporate fluff that was dished out ( lack of any reason)
was a complete fail.

GVGjr
02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Mark Williams, Robert Harvey and Adam Kingsley all said to be in the mix.

Sedat
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
If they get Choco it's not a bad result at all for St Kilda. Maybe the mistake was in hiring Watters in the first place, not in sacking him after 2 years.

I don't understand the obsession with getting young senior coaches. In every other team sport globally, senior coaches are all vastly experienced.

GVGjr
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't understand the obsession with getting young senior coaches. In every other team sport globally, senior coaches are all vastly experienced.

Agreed.

The Hinkley example of getting a vastly experienced assistant coach is something that should also not be lost on clubs. Lets hope in 12 months time we are adding McCartney to this example as well.

I guess recycled coaches are the easier fit in most instances.

jeemak
02-11-2013, 11:11 AM
If they get Choco it's not a bad result at all for St Kilda. Maybe the mistake was in hiring Watters in the first place, not in sacking him after 2 years.

It will swing back soon enough.

There's a lot to be said for hiring somebody who has long term experience in managing different personalities and opinions.

mjp
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Boston Celtics?

Topdog
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Celtics are going to be trash for the next few years though. No point getting in a coach on a lot of money for the downturn.

GVGjr
02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
If I was the Saints I'd be looking at 4 names.

Mark Williams has all the credentials required
Alan Richardson - savvy enough to handle Pelchan
Brett Ratten - still has plenty to offer
Michael Voss - I think they would find it hard to appoint him but they should get him in for a chat

Mofra
09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Caro's gone pretty hard this morning - she tends to have impeccable sources and St Kilda is one club who for years (even when successful) leaks like a sieve with information.

Sheds more light on Watters

Remi Moses
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
What about the part where the MC selection commitee consisted of er, umm Watters!
Picking the side by himself half way through the year is unusual.

jeemak
09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
The information contained within the article, coupled with the Saints off-field shenanigans and their terrible on-field performance only serves to piss me off more about them being handed Friday night football over us.

The Doctor
09-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Slightly off topic but slightly supporting Watters,

St Kilda have the worst off field reputation in the AFL. Their players constantly embroiled in one scandal or controversy after another. Yet, aside from Lovett, they seem to get away with everything.

Now I ask, where is the captain in all this? All of this under his watch but nobody puts the blowtorch on him. I suppose he is a great off field role model who sets impeccable standards for his team mates to follow? Was anyone really convinced by the video, after the dwarf scandal, with St Nick up front suggesting this is not what we stand for or whatever the dribble was?

Watters may or may not be a good coach and perhaps could have gone about things differently in trying to curb the rotten culture at the club. But what are they doing about the bad eggs in the basket?

azabob
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Slightly off topic but slightly supporting Watters,

St Kilda have the worst off field reputation in the AFL. Their players constantly embroiled in one scandal or controversy after another. Yet, aside from Lovett, they seem to get away with everything.

Now I ask, where is the captain in all this? All of this under his watch but nobody puts the blowtorch on him. I suppose he is a great off field role model who sets impeccable standards for his team mates to follow? Was anyone really convinced by the video, after the dwarf scandal, with St Nick up front suggesting this is not what we stand for or whatever the dribble was?

Watters may or may not be a good coach and perhaps could have gone about things differently in trying to curb the rotten culture at the club. But what are they doing about the bad eggs in the basket?

Carolyn Wilson has many a time said Nick Reiwoldt has a lot to answer for and basically said his leadership is non existent.

Maddog37
10-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Caro's gone pretty hard this morning - she tends to have impeccable sources and St Kilda is one club who for years (even when successful) leaks like a sieve with information.

Sheds more light on Watters

Link?

jeemak
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Here mate:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/st-kilda-a-club-in-crisis-20131108-2x777.html

Maddog37
10-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Here mate:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/st-kilda-a-club-in-crisis-20131108-2x777.html
Awesome :)

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Agree on Riewoldt. Inspirational on-field (when he's not playing for frees) but an absolute fairy off of it. St. Kilda's player behaviour while he's been skipper has been atrocious yet St. Kilda people never question Saint Nick. Reckon a Matty Boyd or Luke Hodge would let that sort of rubbish go on for so long at their clubs? No chance.

bulldogtragic
04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Now Saad gets 18 months for using banned substances.

What a year they're having.

bornadog
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM

I feel sorry for Saad, having a drink you can get from the supermarket and getting 18 months compared to Essendon players injecting substances into their bodies with who knows what. Something doesn't add up.

bulldogtragic
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I feel sorry for Saad, having a drink you can get from the supermarket and getting 18 months compared to Essendon players injecting substances into their bodies with who knows what. Something doesn't add up.
It was from his player sponsor too wasn't it?

It's easy to walk over the little people.

Go_Dogs
04-12-2013, 10:36 AM

It's a joke, feel sorry for the guy. In isolation it may be fair enough, but when compared to the Essendon saga and that still, no penalties have been handed out to any players, it's a poor reflection on the AFL.

LostDoggy
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM

What a few years they've been having. Rubbish club.

I do agree that it's very unfair, the difference in penalties so far (the Essendon saga is not officially over yet) but I must say, I don't feel sorry for Saad. They have hotlines for this stuff, that players can call to check on what they're taking. His career was sunk because he couldn't make a phone call.

These guys are told ad nauseum to be careful with what they take. Olympic athletes aren't given any leeway whatsoever and neither should AFL players. Being professional is more than just being paid well for your job.

Should Essendon players have received the same sanctions? Of course. Does that make Saad any less guilty? No.

bornadog
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I do agree that it's very unfair, the difference in penalties so far (the Essendon saga is not officially over yet) but I must say, I don't feel sorry for Saad. They have hotlines for this stuff, that players can call to check on what they're taking. His career was sunk because he couldn't make a phone call.

These guys are told ad nauseum to be careful with what they take. Olympic athletes aren't given any leeway whatsoever and neither should AFL players. Being professional is more than just being paid well for your job.

Should Essendon players have received the same sanctions? Of course. Does that make Saad any less guilty? No.

I agree players should be responsible for what goes in their body. In Saad's case he trusted a mentor/Coach type that the energy drink was ok. Not saying he isnot guilty, just comparing to Essendon players,

Bulldog Joe
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I agree players should be responsible for what goes in their body. In Saad's case he trusted a mentor/Coach type that the energy drink was ok. Not saying he isnot guilty, just comparing to Essendon players,

Of course the differnce is a positive test.

Despite the evidence and innuendo that has been published, there is no positive test against Essendon (or none released).

LostDoggy
04-12-2013, 05:47 PM

I see your point and agree for the most part, but at the very least, a positive out of this may be that footballers do their own checks and balances going forward. It's not good enough for a cyclist to say, ‘My coach said it was ok’.

bornadog
04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I see your point and agree for the most part, but at the very least, a positive out of this may be that footballers do their own checks and balances going forward. It's not good enough for a cyclist to say, ‘My coach said it was ok’.

Yep, excatly what the Essendon players should have done, and maybe they did.

boydogs
04-12-2013, 08:47 PM
They have hotlines for this stuff, that players can call to check on what they're taking. His career was sunk because he couldn't make a phone call.

If I understand the facts of the case correctly, what he was taking had an unmarked ingredient, so it wasn't a case of not checking whether the substance was legal.

Twodogs
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not 100% sure about this but I remember hearing that Saad taken the drink/concoction before and a club official, probably one of the sport science guys in this case, had told him not to do it again specifically because of the unmarked ingredient.

AndrewP6
04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
If I understand the facts of the case correctly, what he was taking had an unmarked ingredient, so it wasn't a case of not checking whether the substance was legal.

No, he trusted the advice he was given - and he'd taken it before.