PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Mofra
08-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm still surprised he's ahead of kids who have played more games - he's being voted on his rate of improvement if anything, which given his teachability in the u18 competition is the reason he was taken at pick #4.

I was surprised yesterday when he had a couple of fumbles in the first quarter and ran the wrong way a couple of times, then simply did not make the same mistakes again for the rest of the game. Very quick football learner.

LostDoggy
08-07-2014, 10:29 AM
- Dunstan: 13 games, 18.5 disp, 3.5 tackles, 7 goals
- Kolodjashnij: 13 games, 18.5 disp, 4 goals
- Taylor: 15 games, 16 disp, 8 goals
- Langdon: 14 games, 17.5 disp, 2.5 tackles
- Z Merrett: 12 games, 13.5 disp, 3.5 tackles
- Billings: 12 games, 14.5 disp, 12 goals
- Kelly: 12 games, 16.5 disp, 2.5 tackles, 8 goals
- Bontempelli, 9 games, 16 disp, 4 tackles, 6 goals

Would seem that recent memory impacts the betting/favouritism. I’d have Bonts, currently, about 4th or 5th for consistent impact across the season – mainly due to his late debut when compared to most of the others who’ve played since the start.

soupman
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
He has timed his run well, at least he will be right at the forefront of their minds at the end of the season despite only really playing half of it.

You would think Aish and Dunstan are the only real competitors, Langdon has been playing as the 6th best defender in a good side and hasn't been starring, and if he does start to look like a threat we can just keep releasing the tape of him trying to take that kickout against us.

Maddog37
08-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Is it who has had the best first year or who of the first year players will be the best?

I always thought it was voted on the latter even though it was meant to be about the former.......

Ozza
08-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Would seem that recent memory impacts the betting/favouritism. I’d have Bonts, currently, about 4th or 5th for consistent impact across the season – mainly due to his late debut when compared to most of the others who’ve played since the start.

It does become a bit of a 'media favourite' type of award - with the likes of Garry Lyon saying things like "well he's already won two games off his own boot' (bit of a stretch!).

Glad to see that its one of ours getting the recognition - and if he keeps putting up performances like his last month - he will win. But I don't really have any idea of the criteria in which the award is judged/voted upon.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
I was surprised yesterday when he had a couple of fumbles in the first quarter and ran the wrong way a couple of times, then simply did not make the same mistakes again for the rest of the game. Very quick football learner.

Picked that up too - very impressive.

He was very good in the second half.

Happy Days
08-07-2014, 02:15 PM
If the voting was tomorrow he's probably behind Kolodjashnij but there's still a lot left to go, if he continues at current output he should be a lock.

Sedat
08-07-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm a huge Menzel fan - he'd be my pick for the award if I was selector. Surprised by the lack of discussion around him. Bont would be on the podium right now, even though he's played less games than the other nominees, and he will surpass everyone else by the end of the season if his stellar last month of form continues for the next 7 rounds.

EasternWest
08-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm a huge Menzel fan - he'd be my pick for the award if I was selector. Surprised by the lack of discussion around him. Bont would be on the podium right now, even though he's played less games than the other nominees, and he will surpass everyone else by the end of the season if his stellar last month of form continues for the next 7 rounds.

Very good player. I'm surprised too.

ledge
08-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Isn't it rising star , so it should be what they can see then being in the future not on what they did this year.

Dogs 24/7
08-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Would you swap Stringer or McCrae for Menzel?

jeemak
08-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Good question.

I'd call them all about even in terms of what they could eventually do, at this early stage of their respective careers after seeing what they currently can do.

It will be interesting to see how they pan out.

bornadog
09-07-2014, 07:38 AM
No way

stefoid
09-07-2014, 10:50 AM
He was brilliant to watch. He was like that elastic guy from the Fantastic Four or whoever they were the way he could move around in packs and evade oncoming players.

I reckon Murph would have been Flower incarnate if he was playing back in the day when 18 players played in their assigned spots - Murph would have been an amazing winger. Imagine Murph on one wing and the hawk on the other.

stefoid
09-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Would you swap McRae and Stringer for Martin and Jesse Lonergan?

Apparently that offer: Martin and 13 for 5 and 6, was on the table. Intriguing.

For mine, the only thing that would have given me pause about accepting that offer, given the hype over Martin being 'once in a generation' would be the go-home factor. Its one thing for a WA kid to be up on the gold coast in a team on the rise, and quite another to be slogging it out in a melbourne winter for a bottom 6 team.

wimberga
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Would you swap McRae and Stringer for Martin and Jesse Lonergan?

Apparently that offer: Martin and 13 for 5 and 6, was on the table. Intriguing.

For mine, the only thing that would have given me pause about accepting that offer, given the hype over Martin being 'once in a generation' would be the go-home factor. Its one thing for a WA kid to be up on the gold coast in a team on the rise, and quite another to be slogging it out in a melbourne winter for a bottom 6 team.

Apparently the "go home" factor with Martin was minimal. he was actually from Broome or Geraldton but left at an early age to play football in Perth (I think thats right).

We will never really know, but I am definitely keeping a close eye on him and he can certainly dance around players with ease.

stefoid
09-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Apparently the "go home" factor with Martin was minimal. he was actually from Broome or Geraldton but left at an early age to play football in Perth (I think thats right).

We will never really know, but I am definitely keeping a close eye on him and he can certainly dance around players with ease.

Maybe, but when Freo or West Coast offer a gazsquillion dollars to come back to WA, you want to have every bit of leverage you have to make a player stick. GC has the dollars, the weather and the future prospects to combat those offers - we don't.

Bulldog Joe
09-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Stats cannot tell you who should win. They don't even decide the Brownlow.

The rising star is voted by a panel who can decide on any of the nominees for their own reasons.
Bonts is a real chance because he is seen to be influencing games way beyond the stat sheet. That gets the attention of those casting this type of vote.

Sedat
09-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't but it's a close run thing. Some of the phantom drafts were talking about us picking up Menzel and Stringer, but one seriously injured teenager is probably enough. I'm led to believe we might we have picked him up if he passed his medical with us.

Just on that draft, it is looking like an absolute belter. I would love any of Mayes, Vlaustin or Menzel, all of whom went immediately after our selections. And Wines would be a worthy addition to any other team except ours where he would be surplus to requirements. GWS would be disappointed thus far with Plowman and O'Rourke (Whitfield is a gun), as would Melbourne with Toumpas (wouldn't they love Wines instead now). But it is still early days for these players.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-07-2014, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't but it's a close run thing. Some of the phantom drafts were talking about us picking up Menzel and Stringer, but one seriously injured teenager is probably enough. I'm led to believe we might we have picked him up if he passed his medical with us.

Just on that draft, it is looking like an absolute belter. I would love any of Mayes, Vlaustin or Menzel, all of whom went immediately after our selections. And Wines would be a worthy addition to any other team except ours where he would be surplus to requirements. GWS would be disappointed thus far with Plowman and O'Rourke (Whitfield is a gun), as would Melbourne with Toumpas (wouldn't they love Wines instead now). But it is still early days for these players.

Absolutely. Couldnt have hoped for a better draft to have 2 top picks in. I was happy with our 2 picks at the time and still am but in saying that would not have been unhappy with Menzel

Mofra
09-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Absolutely. Couldnt have hoped for a better draft to have 2 top picks in. I was happy with our 2 picks at the time and still am but in saying that would not have been unhappy with Menzel
I think Macrae & Stringer suit our needs better than Menzel, but Menzel is an absolute jet.

I'd be happy with Mayes. Vlastuin looks good but is maybe half a step below Macrae, Stringer, Menzel & Wines for mine.

Wouldn't be upset if we started asking questions about O'Rourke this upcoming trade period.

Scorlibo
09-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I reckon Murph would have been Flower incarnate if he was playing back in the day when 18 players played in their assigned spots - Murph would have been an amazing winger. Imagine Murph on one wing and the hawk on the other.

Murph should have been played on a wing for his whole career imo. One of the best all-round talents I've seen play and he's still so good to watch.

ledge
09-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Bontampelli in Australian means freak footballer destined to win a brownlow and flag :-)

westdog54
09-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Found this piece of pre-draft LOLness from a quick Google search:
https://mobile.twitter.com/daniellonergan/status/403301424206856192

TCD>Dan Lonergan

Bulldog4life
09-07-2014, 08:04 PM

TCD>Dan Lonergan

Ha ha. Is the man ever right?

Maddog37
09-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Someone needs to tweet lonergan and see what he thinks of it now........

Greystache
09-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Someone needs to tweet lonergan and see what he thinks of it now........

I did a few weeks back, he replied with his usual spineless bullshit- I just call it as I see it, happy to be proven wrong from time to time.

This was after he declared in round 4 the Bulldogs screwed up taking Bontempelli instead of Aish, despite him having missed the start of the season with a knee twinge.

Maddog37
10-07-2014, 09:03 AM
He is a tool.

G-Mo77
10-07-2014, 02:51 PM

TCD>Dan Lonergan

I can't check Twitter from here but I'm pretty sure I know what it is. His comments were retweeted by a few Doggies supporters after the Melbourne game.

Doggy
14-07-2014, 10:30 PM
From the Hearald Sun,

No. 4 pick Marcus Bontempelli was yesterday backed into clear favouritism @ $2.30 to win this years Rising Star.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2014, 10:35 PM
From the Hearald Sun,

No. 4 pick Marcus Bontempelli was yesterday backed into clear favouritism @ $2.30 to win this years Rising Star.

He looked a little tired on the weekend, here's hoping he plays out the year and wins our first RS. Would be an amazing result.

ledge
14-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Wins a game, kicks the winning goal, which could possibly be goal of the year. A couple of weeks later takes a mark with one hand that no one has ever seen like that before while holding off a player with other arm , goes back and takes marks in defence, averages around 20 possessions a game, all this from an 18yo with what would be half a pre season, seriously has anyone seen this kind of player before in his first year ?

anfo27
14-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Wins a game, kicks the winning goal, which could possibly be goal of the year. A couple of weeks later takes a mark with one hand that no one has ever seen like that before while holding off a player with other arm , goes back and takes marks in defence, averages around 20 possessions a game, all this from an 18yo with what would be half a pre season, seriously has anyone seen this kind of player before in his first year ?

No I haven't. It's been a great surprise because it took me a while to see what everyone else saw but now I just can't wait to see this kid play. Best thing is we get to see this kid develop before our very eyes wearing the tri colours. Well done to the recruiting staff in getting this gem, would be heart breaking to see him wearing black and white. Suffer in your jocks filth!

ledge
14-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Collingwood took scharenburg, no doubt can play if his body is up to it, could be another Tom Williams, glad we decided on this option.

anfo27
14-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Collingwood took scharenburg, no doubt can play if his body is up to it, could be another Tom Williams, glad we decided on this option.

If the bont was available at their pick the pies would have taken him.

Remi Moses
15-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Pies went up the draft order with Bonts in their sights.
They were rumoured to be heavily into him.
I wouldn't be writing off scharenberg off just yet.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I think he's exceeded every expectation for his first year already.

Would be great if he won the RS, if he finishes the season well he's a shoe in.

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 09:33 AM
With Kolodjashnij doing his hammy and Langdon dropping right off the pace the last 5 weeks Bonts just needs to stay on the park to win the award.

Melbourne were also heavily considering taking him pick 2. Thankfully they used it in the Tyson trade!

LostDoggy
15-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Libba Snr, in terms of immediate impact.

Twodogs
15-07-2014, 01:21 PM

Brian Royal won the B&F and played for Victoria in his first year.

ledge
15-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Libba and royal weren't 18 years of age doing miraculous things

Sedat
15-07-2014, 01:32 PM
If the bont was available at their pick the pies would have taken him.
I'm led to believe that they wanted to get him with pick 10 and inflated his value in the hope that the Dogs would take someone else (presumably Aish) and that he'd then slide to pick 10. They apparently always wanted Sharenberg with pick 6.

I love the Bont but let's not get too hasty in discarding all the other top 10 selections. There needs to be 3-4 years before any such comparisons can be accurately measured. What I do love about Bont is his propensity for continued improvement and the sheer level of comfort he has shown at this level. He played key forward for most of the 2nd half against a very good key defender in Rory Thompson on Saturday night and acquitted himself extremely well - was not outmarked once and managed to halve every aerial duel. His ceiling looks limitless.

KT31
15-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Libba and royal weren't 18 years of age doing miraculous things

Chris Grant was exceptional in his first year.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm led to believe that they wanted to get him with pick 10 and inflated his value in the hope that the Dogs would take someone else (presumably Aish) and that he'd then slide to pick 10. They apparently always wanted Sharenberg with pick 6.

I love the Bont but let's not get too hasty in discarding all the other top 10 selections. There needs to be 3-4 years before any such comparisons can be accurately measured. What I do love about Bont is his propensity for continued improvement and the sheer level of comfort he has shown at this level. He played key forward for most of the 2nd half against a very good key defender in Rory Thompson on Saturday night and acquitted himself extremely well - was not outmarked once and managed to halve every aerial duel. His ceiling looks limitless.

Yes I noticed that too. That nice lead and goal in the third quarter was very impressive when playing key forward.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Chris Grant was exceptional in his first year.

And he was 17 years old too.

Scorlibo
15-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Admittedly there are a few games left to play but for mine Bontempelli's first year doesn't stack up to some others in terms of output. He's shown a heap of promise and done some amazing things whilst being a key contributor, but only in the latter half of the season really. His season seems more comparable to Griffen's first year.

Mofra
15-07-2014, 03:07 PM
He's debuted - he's ahead of the bell curve for 18 year olds.

The fact that a ~192cm kid in his first year has basically stamped himself in the best 22 is a minor miracle and to be honest if his season ended tomorrow I'm over the moon with his output. Everything else (i.e. goal of the year) is just pure icing.

Happy Days
15-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Yes I noticed that too. That nice lead and goal in the third quarter was very impressive when playing key forward.

Everyone is ready to anoint guys like Cotchin and Ablett as guys who could play full time forward and kick a bunch of goals but Bont actually plays like a forward when put there (leading, leading again), and his size forces an actual defender onto him, not an outmatched midfielder. The passage we're speaking of looked fantastic and is not in isolation (he's played one out against guys like Frost and Garland and looked awesome).

Everything else he's shown this year has been exceptional, but could be conceptualised based on the wraps on him coming into the season. I did not see this versatility inside forward 50 coming.

boydogs
15-07-2014, 08:03 PM
The fact that a ~192cm kid in his first year has basically stamped himself in the best 22 is a minor miracle

195. He's taller than Redpath

Twodogs
15-07-2014, 09:07 PM
He's six inches taller than John Nicholls.

Twodogs
15-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Leon Cameron burst onto the scene as a 17 or 18 year old two weeks after Chris Grant played his first game and had a stand out first year.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-16/reflecting-on-bontempelli

LostDoggy
17-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Looking forward to see how performs in the second half of the year, with 2 weeks off and playing some younger sides in the coming weeks I'm expecting some big games from him.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Good to hear Bonts is back in the side for tomorrow night.

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 09:15 PM

Saturday night Easty. As if we would get a Friday night game.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Saturday night Easty. As if we would get a Friday night game.

Yep thanks for correcting me TD. Eastdog is keen for the footy :)

Bulldog4life
19-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Yep thanks for correcting me TD. Eastdog is keen for the footy :)

You know when you have made it Easty when you talk about yourself in the third person Well done:)

Remi Moses
19-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Friday night football? Does that exist ?

Eastdog
20-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Friday night football? Does that exist ?

Yep we just don't ever feature in it :(

Eastdog
20-06-2015, 12:20 AM
You know when you have made it Easty when you talk about yourself in the third person Well done:)

Is that a compliment B4L.

Twodogs
20-06-2015, 05:19 PM

It's a compliment wrapped in an observation.

Eastdog
20-06-2015, 05:26 PM
It's a compliment wrapped in an observation.

I've never done that before on wood so that's a first for me :)

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 01:40 AM

Well it's not an insult Easty. But I hadn't noticed it before on Woof. B4life says bye for now.

Eastdog
21-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Well it's not an insult Easty. But I hadn't noticed it before on Woof. B4life says bye for now.

Ok Cool. Yeah Bonts didnt set the world of fire tonight but he'll get back.

bornadog
21-06-2015, 11:23 AM
I thought The Bont looked a bit sluggish last night and has bulked up a bit, and losing some of his mobility.

Another pre-season or two to get his growing body right and he will be a star.

comrade
21-06-2015, 11:56 AM
How good was it when he gathered and hand balled in mid air that lead to Stringer's fifth. Got slammed into the ground but got straight back up.

Tough as nails.

F'scary
21-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I thought Bonti was one of the prime offenders with the over finessing, particularly with the handballing. He is probably the longest kick at the club, he should be keeping it simpler and using his super boot to hoof it to position more.

SonofScray
21-06-2015, 03:50 PM
I thought in the 2nd half we saw a return to form, he has battled through tags and a niggle in recent weeks which saw some uncharacteristic changers and lack of composure, even in the first half. But we started to see the signs of the star we know he'll be for a long time again after half time.

always right
21-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Was disappointed in him early last night. Needs to get the basics right before trying the fancy stuff.

Maddog37
21-06-2015, 05:41 PM
I think he and Stringer should be encouraged to do the flashy stuff. It breaks up play and makes us unpredictable.

ratsmac
21-06-2015, 07:00 PM
^^that's right^^

always right
21-06-2015, 08:34 PM
I think he and Stringer should be encouraged to do the flashy stuff. It breaks up play and makes us unpredictable.

I also want him to be unpredictable but there are times when the easier option is actually much better than the flashy option. Early last night he had the opportunity to hit targets with a conventional approach but simply tried to do too much. There are plenty of times to do the flashy stuff.

stefoid
21-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Geez, if we are worried about Bont we must be going OK.

Scorlibo
21-06-2015, 10:37 PM
I thought in the 2nd half we saw a return to form, he has battled through tags and a niggle in recent weeks which saw some uncharacteristic changers and lack of composure, even in the first half. But we started to see the signs of the star we know he'll be for a long time again after half time.

Yep agree, he was starting to bust through tackles again and create loose numbers for us in congestion simply by attracting opposition tacklers. Looking forward to see if he can hit that kind of form from the first quarter next week.

Remi Moses
22-06-2015, 02:21 AM
Wonder if he's carrying an injury?
Bit of second year blues ( even though he's been reasonably good)
I think he'll be okay

FrediKanoute
22-06-2015, 08:09 AM
More focus on him because of how damaging he can be. The Bont will be a guy who is kept on a leash for 3 quarters and then wins a game off his own boot in a quarter. Even well held he manages to do amazing things for a second year player.

Ozza
22-06-2015, 10:12 AM
As much as he had a bit of a down first half, Bonti was certainly the catalyst in the 9 goal last quarter as he found some form.

Tipping a big few weeks for him.

craigsahibee
22-06-2015, 10:30 AM
So, The Bont has a reasonably quiet game and we win by 12 goals. I can live with that.

Mantis
22-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Really picked up his game after we were challenged in the 3rd qtr and was one of the driving forces for our dominance thru this time.

Having not played for 3 weeks I think we can forgive him for being a bit off the pace early on.

boydogs
22-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Bit of second year blues ( even though he's been reasonably good)

He has been the number 1 loser from the loss of Griffen & Libba this year. Tagged most weeks

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Really picked up his game after we were challenged in the 3rd qtr and was one of the driving forces for our dominance thru this time.

Having not played for 3 weeks I think we can forgive him for being a bit off the pace early on.

Agreed.

Easy to forget he is just a second year player, too. I can't think of too many other second year players who receive as much attention as he does, he gets tagged almost every week and constantly takes (and gives) plenty of hits.

Sedat
22-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Agreed.

Easy to forget he is just a second year player, too. I can't think of too many other second year players who receive as much attention as he does, he gets tagged almost every week and constantly takes (and gives) plenty of hits.
Yep, his 2nd half was exceptional. Didn't set the world on fire early but worked into the game very nicely. Being a bottom ager, he's probably only a few months older than the likes of McLean, Webb and Dale.

Ozza
22-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Yep, his 2nd half was exceptional. Didn't set the world on fire early but worked into the game very nicely. Being a bottom ager, he's probably only a few months older than the likes of McLean, Webb and Dale.

Also worth noting that he was spending more time on a wing than in the centre during the first half. He and Macrae almost swapped roles for the day (at least for the first half).

I guess a measure of Bonti's outrageous talent, is that we are talking about him being a little bit down...and he still had 20 possessions, 6 tackles, a goal and plenty of score involvements. Saturday night was his 25th career game.

hujsh
22-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I think his greatest strength as a mid might be those long gangly arms. His ability to get a handball free to loose teammates under pressure while being tackled is great. Creates plenty of space.

F'scary
22-06-2015, 09:01 PM
His second half was excellent. Could it be that he will be a regular slow starter, particularly because he gets attention from the opposition? Once the game opens up a little, he cuts loose?

Twodogs
22-06-2015, 09:35 PM
His second half was excellent. Could it be that he will be a regular slow starter, particularly because he gets attention from the opposition? Once the game opens up a little, he cuts loose?

He missed a bit of footy before Saturday. He might have taken a bit of time to pick up the tempo.

LostDoggy
22-06-2015, 11:29 PM

I clicked Like for this post, and am only quoting it so I can like it again. :)

Someone quote me back and I'll like it a third time!

bulldogtragic
22-06-2015, 11:32 PM
I clicked Like for this post, and am only quoting it so I can like it again. :)

Someone quote me back and I'll like it a third time!

Really?

BornInDroopSt'54
23-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Given our poor last quarter record, I wondered if Bont saved himself for the last quarter. Overall his performance was still one of our best at extracting and creating. He has no doubt been instructed to cover for the loss of Libba and consequently his young body has had to play the role of gladiator. His outside game has been put on the back burner.

Ozza
23-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm still smiling thinking about him busting through those two tackles on the members side wing in the third quarter. His ability to bust through and get his arms clear to release one of his team mates makes a huge difference for us.

Happy Days
23-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I think his greatest strength as a mid MIT be ose long gangly arms. His ability to get a handball free to loose teammates under pressure while being tackled is great. Creates plenty of space.

Agreed and it also helps our defense at stoppages immensely. His wingspan and range add that much more pressure to the quick handball coming out, it's a trait that can allow for the ball to be locked down, further playing to our strengths. Reminds me of Draymond Green in the NBA (can't think of a footballer to compare it to - obviously a good thing).

stefoid
23-06-2015, 12:33 PM
I like the lying down handballs. Ive never seen anyone do that before.

Daughter of the West
23-06-2015, 01:12 PM
I pointed Bonti out on TV to my husband when the boys were doing their warm up, commenting that he was only 19. His response was, "He's a beast!" Yup, and he's OUR beast! :)

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Various commentators have been saying he's got second year blues... Either we are watching different games or I hope all our draftees get the same case of 'Blues'...

Scorlibo
08-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Various commentators have been saying he's got second year blues... Either we are watching different games or I hope all our draftees get the same case of 'Blues'...

Weird how some misconceptions just get bounced around the commentary box relentlessly. Champion Data have had him in their rolling AA team for basically the whole year. As of last round he was the third highest rated player in the league over the last month. He's in exceptional form.

Remi Moses
09-08-2015, 12:33 AM
He's been excellent since about halfway, and I think he was carrying an injury in the first half of the year.
What a very special player we have

Twodogs
09-08-2015, 12:42 AM
I said last year that watching Bont playing his first 50 games must have been a bit what it was like watching Whitten play his first 50. Marcus can do things that no other player on the field would be capable of doing.

And he seems to relish the task if picking the team up and depoisting it on the win side of the ledger in close games.
I

ledge
09-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Chris Grants first 50 were pretty special.

Hotdog60
09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
I think he has been going ok. Last year he came on with a flourish and loaded up the highlight reel. This year he is more of a known quantity and as such teams are putting more time into him.
The scary thing is for the opposition is that he is adapting to the extra attention and starting to become more of an influence again.
The effort he put in I think in the either the 3rd or last quarter where he chased and looked out on his feet and on the ground still managed to lift himself up and smoother the ball was inspirational.
How could this guy not lift a team.
We have something special on our hands and I hope he is a loyal dog and wont stray when the time comes to put pen to paper and the large offers start floating in.

SonofScray
09-08-2015, 09:47 AM
His form early wasn't exactly scintillating but it never dropped below serviceable. On the up swing, effectively from half time of the Gold Coast game to now he has been anywhere between exceptional and good with brief moments of exceptional. He moves through the game with an authority, class and effectiveness I can't recall ever seeing and regularly manages to turn regular, meaningless acts into demonstrations of sheer superiority.

Anyone trying to cut him down is kidding themselves. Is he racking up copious amounts of footy? No. But his 24 touches were hard, tough, classy and effective. Match winning touches.

ReLoad
09-08-2015, 10:15 AM
It's his clearance work, he is clearing congestion with 2 and 3 guys on him, freeing up others around him. He is Pendlebury Mk II.

With Libba down, he has been our most important clearance midfielder, just wait til his tank develops, he will average a couple of goals a game without any pressure.

Our side in 2 years time is scary good.

Go_Dogs
09-08-2015, 11:34 AM
He's had a very good month after having a slightly down period over the (early) second third of the season.

Whilst he isn't dominating the possession count like some others are, he is just so clean and when he wins the ball he is almost always able to move out of congestion and use it well. Not many players are consistently able to navigate congestion as well as he does and it's going to be beautiful watching him do so in the pressure-cooker that is September.

Jeanette54
09-08-2015, 12:02 PM
At the game much of the inside heavy lifting he does is not so noticeable, but it is clear on the replays just how he puts his young body on the line. I think his role has changed, rather than diminished. To his credit the highlight reel might not be as extensive these days, but the work rate has increased exponentially.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 12:56 PM
A lot of people are comparing Bont to Pendlebury, which is fair enough, but to me he is more like Fyfe. With the big upper body, he is almost unbeatable for mids in a tight contest. His disposal quality may even see him edge ahead of Fyfe in a couple of years. I can see him being the best player in the game at some point in his career.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 03:36 PM
I think he has been going ok. Last year he came on with a flourish and loaded up the highlight reel. This year he is more of a known quantity and as such teams are putting more time into him.
The scary thing is for the opposition is that he is adapting to the extra attention and starting to become more of an influence again.
The effort he put in I think in the either the 3rd or last quarter where he chased and looked out on his feet and on the ground still managed to lift himself up and smoother the ball was inspirational.
How could this guy not lift a team.
We have something special on our hands and I hope he is a loyal dog and wont stray when the time comes to put pen to paper and the large offers start floating in.

If opposition list management staff haven't already contacted his manager on the sly and hinted at $7-8 million over 5 years, they'd be pleading to keep their jobs.

hujsh
09-08-2015, 05:31 PM

It's hard to see how people argue for second year blues. Maybe it's a hyper version of Sockeye's 20 game rule?

Only real down stat is the goals as he's playing more in the middle now

Sedat
09-08-2015, 08:12 PM
2nd year players dream of having the 'blues' that the Bont supposedly is having. He's no Lewis Taylor but he's a special player.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Sounded like an outstanding person and committed team member on SEN today around 1pm. Maybe will be available on their website

ratsmac
10-08-2015, 01:06 AM
I loved the look on Boak's face as he got sat on his arse by The Bont as he was coming through the pack as he grabbed the ball and snapped a nice goal. Not bad for the second year blue's, well that's what Boak was thinking anyhow!

jeemak
10-08-2015, 01:19 AM
At the game much of the inside heavy lifting he does is not so noticeable, but it is clear on the replays just how he puts his young body on the line. I think his role has changed, rather than diminished. To his credit the highlight reel might not be as extensive these days, but the work rate has increased exponentially.

Correctomundo J!

Watched the replay of the weekend's game just now and the Bont (who I had top three on seeing it live) was number two, just behind Wallis.

He was languishing in third or fourth before then.

Remi Moses
10-08-2015, 02:24 AM
What on earth is tony shaw on?
Reckons the Bont's had a disappointing season?
I think he's been very good since midway.

LostDoggy
10-08-2015, 03:03 AM
In fairness to Tony, he did smack his head into a tree pretty hard one day whilst jogging. Obviously did the poor bugger a fair bit of damage...

craigsahibee
10-08-2015, 09:44 AM
I heard T Shaw mention that whilst watching the game again yesterday. He is a moron at best. Throw in G Healey and D Russell to the commentary line up and sit back and listen to the gold.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2015, 10:30 AM
We know better than Tony and co but we are very passionate and obsessive about our Bulldogs. I enjoyed Healey's and co commentary turned down to just audible so that my own thoughts dominate but are accompanied by the comments, like in the crowd.
Bontempelli, we are watching history unfold. He is great and will be greater. He has taken responsibility to be more at the coalface because of Libba's absence and to be a rounded team player, even though it is like using a Rolls Royce to plough a field. He is Rolls, he is Royce, he is octopus and can gather another player in a tackle as well as gathering the ball with that incredible reach that he has and great hands.
What a goal that was, truly Bontempelliesque.

always right
10-08-2015, 11:18 AM
We now have some of the most watchable players in the AFL. It's actually difficult choosing which player I enjoy watching the most;
- Bonts for creating something out of nothing and his sublime delivery
- Stringer for sheer audaciousness and brilliance
- Murph dancing out of defence delivering lace-out passes
- JJ surging through the corridor and breaking the game open
- Easton Wood courageously leaping into packs, taking soaring intercept marks and generating attack out of defence

bornadog
10-08-2015, 01:52 PM
We now have some of the most watchable players in the AFL. It's actually difficult choosing which player I enjoy watching the most;
- Bonts for creating something out of nothing and his sublime delivery
- Stringer for sheer audaciousness and brilliance
- Murph dancing out of defence delivering lace-out passes
- JJ surging through the corridor and breaking the game open
- Easton Wood courageously leaping into packs, taking soaring intercept marks and generating attack out of defence

Big Red crunching packs taking marks, Tom Boyd stretching those arms so high no one can get near the ball, Grant and his quick thinking handballs and linking up, Macrae raking up disposal after disposals, Dahl's quick hand to foot in the middle of packs, Wallis clearance work and contested poss (he had 16 on Saturday). Have I missed anyone? :D

Torpedo
10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Loved Bont's goal as it was performed exactly as in the pre game warmup exercises. The forwards were lined up as a group over near the hFF taking turns punching/tapping the ball to the ground with another waiting and taking possession and kicking it to a bloke standing at CHF. Exactly what Boyd has been doing at FF when playing. Make a contest bring it to the ground, small forwards swoop. Bonti just did it all himself.

1eyedog
10-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Big Red crunching packs taking marks, Tom Boyd stretching those arms so high no one can get near the ball, Grant and his quick thinking handballs and linking up, Macrae raking up disposal after disposals, Dahl's quick hand to foot in the middle of packs, Wallis clearance work and contested poss (he had 16 on Saturday). Have I missed anyone? :D

Crameri circling like a lion around its prey. You know there's a good chance he'll be either too big, strong or fit at some stage in the match and can turn it on inside 5 minutes.

Dicko kicking for goal like a trainig drill.

Twodogs
10-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I loved the look on Boak's face he got sat on his arse by The Bont as he was coming through the pack as he grabbed the ball and snapped a nice goal. Not bad for the second year blue's, well that's what Boak was thinking anyhow!

Is that the one where he bounces the ball like a basketball before grabbing it?

boydogs
10-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Boak was the one who bounced it

Twodogs
10-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Boak was the one who bounced it

Boak bounces the ball but Bont just sits him on his arse and bounces the ball with the other hand until he takes control properly and kicks the goal. Just outside the goal square.

ratsmac
11-08-2015, 12:46 AM

That's the one!

LostDoggy
11-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Crameri circling like a lion around its prey. You know there's a good chance he'll be either too big, strong or fit at some stage in the match and can turn it on inside 5 minutes.

Dicko kicking for goal like a trainig drill.

Pickers turning into an inside animal ;)

Templeton31
12-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I have a little Bont story.

Was sitting near the great Brad Johnson in the crowd last Saturday. After the Bont did that smother in the last quarter, which was on the wing sort of near us, Johnno got out of his seat and gave a standing ovation. He (Johnno) really sprung out of his seat and clapped for all he was worth. I think he was impressed....

chef
12-08-2015, 09:44 PM

Was sitting near the great Brad Johnson in the crowd last Saturday. After the Bont did that smother in the last quarter, which was on the wing sort of near us, Johnno got out of his seat and gave a standing ovation. He (Johnno) really sprung out of his seat and clapped for all he was worth. I think he was impressed....

Yeah i was a couple rows back from Johnno, he certainly loved that smother.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Was Bonti prostrate when he did that smother, from the 3rd level he looked prostrate?

KT31
13-08-2015, 11:18 AM

As I was down in Melbourne the past week I thought I would pop into the Kennel for a quick look at the Bulldogs shop.
It was my oldest Pups birthday and he asked if I could see if they had something autographed by Bont's, unfortunately nothing was available.
Before leaving I always have a chat to the lovely Glennis at Reception (I worked with her in a previous life)
I had just mentioned my dilemma in not being able to get the pup a Bonts autograph when who should walked past with a armful of boxes, the one and only Bonts.
Only quick Hi and a joke about he should not be carrying so much and surely some minion at the club would be better off doing so.(I did offer)
I thought it would be a bit out of place to asked but on his return for more parcels, Glennis told him about my pups birthday and he was more than happy to sign a card for him.
He also signed one for my youngest pup and we had a brief but very enjoyable conversation.
It slightly reminded me of chatting to a young Chris Grant, just happy to look after a fan and not rush off for something more important.

I very happy and confident with the knowledge that he will be one of the kids to take our club to the level.

azabob
13-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Was Bonti prostrate when he did that smother, from the 3rd level he looked prostrate?

As in lying on the ground? Yes, pretty much so.

Twodogs
13-08-2015, 12:33 PM
As in lying on the ground? Yes, pretty much so.

I don't want to think what the alternative could have been.

anfo27
31-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Been having a debate with a Carlton mate today about the Bont v Cripps. He tells me he thinks Cripps isn't far behind the Bont. I think Cripps is great talent but not in the same league as our Bont.

Want to throw it out to all woofers on their thoughts, just in case i have rose coloured glasses on.

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Cripps is very, very good. I wouldn't swap Bont for anyone in the comp, but stacking up their respective first years, I think it's reasonable to say Cripps is not far behind.

Barring injury they'll both be top 5 players in the comp at their peak, possibly either could be #1.

Greystache
31-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Been having a debate with a Carlton mate today about the Bont v Cripps. He tells me he thinks Cripps isn't far behind the Bont. I think Cripps is great talent but not in the same league as our Bont.

Want to throw it out to all woofers on their thoughts, just in case i have rose coloured glasses on.

I don't think there's much between them with Bont being a bit in front. Cripps is a big bodied inside mid who has been remarkably consistent for such a young player. He doesn't have the brilliance of Bonti nor the potential upside, but Cripps is already a midfielder that Carlton can rely upon week in week out to make a contribution and still has the ability to get better. Bonti stills goes a bit in feast or famine as you'd expect, but when he's on he's a long way ahead of Cripps in terms of how much he can influence a game.

Happy Days
31-08-2015, 06:55 PM

Nah, Bont's a fair way ahead; Cripps is still awesome though, and single handedly makes 2016 Carlton a better prospect than 2005 Carlton, Parkin be damned. Bont's ball use is much better and well rounded, and he hits the scoreboard far more regularly. Cripps is phenomenal in tight, his spatial awareness is something special, plus he has better hair, but he seems more inside at this stage, and I've still got doubts on his kicking.

Plus Cripps has never done this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBU9xkd0l5o), or this (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-29/bonts-brilliance-sets-up-bulldogs).

Sedat
31-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Cripps is a special player, and only a very special player like the Bont is in front of him from an U-20 competition perspective. The best thing about both of them is that they are so team-oriented and work just as hard defensively as they do with ball in hand.

azabob
31-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Some very high-level key numbers.

Bontempelli and Cripps are from the same draft and both made their debuts last year.

Bontempelli is also 8 months younger than Cripps.

Patrick Cripps

D.O.B - 18/03/1995
Debut - Round 4, 2014
Career Games 22
Career Goals 6

Marcus Bontempelli

D.O.B - 24/11/1995
Debut - Round 5, 2014
Career Games 35
Career Goals 30

Scorlibo
31-08-2015, 07:26 PM
The Bont entered the top 20 of the AFL player ratings this round. He is over 2 years younger than any other player to achieve this.

As if that's not already exciting enough, the second youngest was... Tom Liberatore.

Cripps is an absolute gun too, but I wouldn't trade him in for the Bont.

ratsmac
31-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Cripps is a gun and will be an 'A-grader' before too long.

The Bont is a proven match winner, I rest my case!

Dancin' Douggy
31-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Cripps is rock solid. Bonti gives you the spine tingling, Jaw dropping, Spirit lifting, heart stopping, match winning moments.
And LOTS OF THEM.

lemmon
31-08-2015, 08:04 PM
I tend to think of Cripps as the Liberatore type. Wonderful in close, does massive amounts of the 'dirty stuff' but doesn't offer the same ability to break open a game on the outside as Bontempelli does. Teammates and supporters will love him but most of his good work will be finished off by others.

I don't like the Pendlebury comparisons with Bontempelli, the most similar type I've seen is James Hird. Just has that intangible quality that makes him appear to be playing on a different time-line...not to mention he puts his head over the footy and tackles like a machine also.

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Cripps has had an exceptional year, but Bont is supreme.

I really believe the only player currently playing that could challenge Bont for No 1 in the comp over the next 5 years is Jake Stringer.

1eyedog
31-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Cripps has the potential to be a one in a decade player.

Bont has the potential to be a one in a generation player.

Bont can do the things that Cripps can do but Cripps can't do all the things the Bont can do.

We are witnessing a special talent.

anfo27
31-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Cripps has had an exceptional year, but Bont is supreme.

I really believe the only player currently playing that could challenge Bont for No 1 in the comp over the next 5 years is Jake Stringer.

I tend to think in a few years we will have 2 of the best 5 players in the comp.

I'm enjoying the posts to guys.

comrade
31-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I tend to think in a few years we will have 2 of the best 5 players in the comp.

I'm enjoying the posts to guys.

With apologies to Libba. And Hunter. And Tommy Boyd. And Macrae. And Wally. And Dahl. And Magic McLean.

;)

bornadog
31-08-2015, 11:15 PM
With apologies to Libba. And Hunter. And Tommy Boyd. And Macrae. And Wally. And Dahl. And Magic McLean.

;)

We sure have a talented team. Just goes to show the draft system is working. When you finish near the bottom, you get to pick good players.

boydogs
31-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Cripps is good but Bonts gets tagged every week, Carlton still have Murphy & Gibbs to take some of the attention off but we don't have Libba & Griff

comrade
31-08-2015, 11:24 PM
We sure have a talented team. Just goes to show the draft system is working. When you finish near the bottom, you get to pick good players.

Except if you're Melbourne.

Toumpas before Stringer will go down as the worst decision since Tambling over Buddy.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Except if you're Melbourne.

Toumpas before Stringer will go down as the worst decision since Tambling over Buddy.

The leg must have been an issue?

Remi Moses
01-09-2015, 01:20 AM
The leg must have been an issue?

Stupidity more an issue I'd think

Remi Moses
01-09-2015, 01:23 AM
I should clarify that the dees are stupid ,not Jake.

Sedat
01-09-2015, 01:29 AM
Cripps is good but Bonts gets tagged every week, Carlton still have Murphy & Gibbs to take some of the attention off but we don't have Libba & Griff
So does Cripps. He is absolutely carrying that midfield on his own at the moment.

Happy Days
01-09-2015, 02:00 AM
So does Cripps. He is absolutely carrying that midfield on his own at the moment.

Yeah he's their best player, but not in a "he's our best player already how exciting" kind of way, more a "his contemporaries are Dennis Armfield and Matthew Dick" kind of way.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I rate Cripps very highly. He probably isn't quite as athletic and agile as Bontempelli and doesn't have the hurt factor of being able to play forward and kick multiple goals (an area Bont will continue to improve in).

As much as I don't care about Carlton, given all the things they stuffed up over the years it's good for their supporters they nailed the Cripps pick.

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 11:10 AM
What has suprised me most about our Bont is his toughness. He's copped some big hits, but always gets straight up and back to business. Thompson from the Crows tried to beat him up when he played them, didn't work at all.

Early signs point to him being very durable and able to perform under duress. This is going to be fun!

craigsahibee
01-09-2015, 11:44 AM

Except if you're Melbourne. They take Jack Watts

I swear Comrade I didn't read your post before I replied to BAD's ;)

Mofra
01-09-2015, 12:29 PM
We've had worse selections than the expansion clubs but have done well to rebuild at the same time - we've often taken 8+ former rookies into games this year (if you include Crameri and Biggs) which show just how good our talent identification has been

westdog54
01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Except if you're Melbourne. They take Jack Watts

I swear Comrade I didn't read your post before I replied to BAD's ;)

*Cough* CaleMorton *Cough*

I can't remember being as excited about a players level of talent than I am with Bonti's.

And I'm counting Jake Stringer in that discussion.

bornadog
01-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Player ratings - The Bont is off the chart for teenagers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNt5-ImUwAAShG5.png:large

bornadog
01-09-2015, 06:26 PM
The top 20 player ratings - the youngest to achieve it: The Bont is two years younger than anyone who have achieved being in the top 20

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNt0dVuUkAAVE9_.png:large

Sedat
01-09-2015, 06:30 PM
We've had worse selections than the expansion clubs but have done well to rebuild at the same time - we've often taken 8+ former rookies into games this year (if you include Crameri and Biggs) which show just how good our talent identification has been
Last year's ND batch is a perfect case in point. No picks inside the top 25 but 5 players already having tasted AFL and none of them look the slightest bit out of place on football ability (although some of them look as young as the half-time Auskickers ;))

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 06:37 PM
The top 20 player ratings - the youngest to achieve it: The Bont is two years younger than anyone who have achieved being in the top 20

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNt0dVuUkAAVE9_.png:large

That is a stunning table.

When you look at the quality of 2-10 and think that they are all clumped within a year of each other, and then Bont is all by himself 2+ years ahead, the individual that comes to mind is Sir Donald Bradman.

ratsmac
01-09-2015, 06:42 PM
I still can't believe he plays for us!

ReLoad
01-09-2015, 08:36 PM
jeepers creepers! how lucky are we!

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Imagine if he didn't have second year blues...

Rocco Jones
01-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Imagine if he didn't have second year blues...

Not sure if this is a joke. I think sometimes extra attention/added responsibility gets mistaken for second year blues. Bonts no longer has Griff and Libba to take the attention away from the opposition. I also believe he is playing a lot more defensively and part of a real set up. IMO Bonts has been significantly more valuable this year than last.

hujsh
01-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Not sure if this is a joke. I think sometimes extra attention/added responsibility gets mistaken for second year blues. Bonts no longer has Griff and Libba to take the attention away from the opposition. I also believe he is playing a lot more defensively and part of a real set up. IMO Bonts has been significantly more valuable this year than last.

It was a joke. "Special" commentators keep saying he's got second year blues despite improving and having a good year

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 08:49 PM

Tony Shaw and others have talked about how Bonts is suffering from second year blues. Great overseers of footy... Only problem with them saying it, it's that their heads are stuck up their pooper and Bonts could be All Australian as a teenager!!

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
It was a joke. "Special" commentators keep saying he's got second year blues despite improving and having a good year

Yep, very "special"... :D

Rocco Jones
01-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Tony Shaw and others have talked about how Bonts is suffering from second year blues. Great overseers of footy... Only problem with them saying it, it's that their heads are stuck up their pooper and Bonts could be All Australian as a teenager!!

Sorry mate, yep I know what you mean! Hence my post!

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I tend to think of Cripps as the Liberatore type. Wonderful in close, does massive amounts of the 'dirty stuff' but doesn't offer the same ability to break open a game on the outside as Bontempelli does. Teammates and supporters will love him but most of his good work will be finished off by others.

I don't like the Pendlebury comparisons with Bontempelli, the most similar type I've seen is James Hird. Just has that intangible quality that makes him appear to be playing on a different time-line...not to mention he puts his head over the footy and tackles like a machine also.
Let's hope the Hird comparisons stop right there. But you're right, if he can be as good a player as Jimmy Hird we are laughing.

I believe this is just a symptom of commentators who are way off the mark in terms of football analytical talent and are sitting in the chair because they're a Collingwood premiership captain and for little other reason. They've no idea about modern footy and how it's played. Furthermore, many of the commentators are coming from big clubs, Darcy aside, and take little effort to really get to know Bulldogs players. Sitting on the side of the field, and asked to comment on a player who they've largely ignored because of the colours on his guernsey, instead look at the blokes profile sheet, aha, second year, wait for a mistake and then rave on about second year blues because, you know, me Collingwood hero, me know footy.

If I had to pick a player who's copped similar treatment over his career it would be Pavlich.

merantau
02-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Marcus Bontempelli is a rare talent. I've been watching footy for a long, long time and can confidently say that he will be one of the greats. He has the right ATTITUDE. He's confident, not arrogant, he is blessed with speed, agility and strength, he has developed super skills and is a TEAM player. In years to come supporters will proudly tell their kids and grandkids, "I saw Marcus Bontempelli play."
That breakaway from the stoppage in the last quarter against North was poetry in motion. The final spin out of trouble to evade yet another tackle was a move of awesome unpredictability. You really needed to see the replay to confirm that he really did what he did.

And then to be treated by his partner in crime, Stringgeeerrr, monstering a couple of hapless North tacklers, swatting them away like flies at a barby, before moving the ball on to the next link in the chain of what became a superb team goal, was further confirmation that watching the Bulldogs play is THE BEST SHOW IN TOWN.

Mofra
02-09-2015, 10:37 AM
That breakaway from the stoppage in the last quarter against North was poetry in motion. The final spin out of trouble to evade yet another tackle was a move of awesome unpredictability. You really needed to see the replay to confirm that he really did what he did.
It was amazing (I think I've watched it 50 times already) but one thing that often gets overlooked is how quickly he gets ball to foot, and delivers long and accurately.
He actually had a few kicks on the weekend like that - kicking almost immediately after getting out of trouble.

stefoid
02-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Ha ha, we did the 'we are not worthy' in the stands.

Happy Days
02-09-2015, 12:05 PM
It was amazing (I think I've watched it 50 times already) but one thing that often gets overlooked is how quickly he gets ball to foot, and delivers long and accurately.
He actually had a few kicks on the weekend like that - kicking almost immediately after getting out of trouble.

That he moves and looks like Optimus Prime is really belying the fact his ball use is sneaky incredible.

Mantis
02-09-2015, 12:53 PM
The 'gushing' from grown men when the Bont goes to work is a little weird.. In a good way.

We are literally in awe of his abilities... Fun times ahead!

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 01:06 PM
The raw after Picken slotted the goal was amazing. Considering there was probably only around 15-17k (guessing) Bulldogs fans at the match. We are a loud bunch.

Imagine a packed out Etihad for our first elimination final against the Crows! (possibly)

Dancin' Douggy
02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
It's very interesting going back and re-reading this thread from the start. From before we drafted the Bont. All the various opinions on whether we should draft him or not with pick 4.

bornadog
02-09-2015, 04:38 PM
It's very interesting going back and re-reading this thread from the start. From before we drafted the Bont. All the various opinions on whether we should draft him or not with pick 4.

Yes I thought pick 4 wasn't right and he should have been a later pick, but then what do I know.

Here is the top ten from that draft:

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2013
2013 AFL National Draft Summary (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_draft_summaries?year=2013&t=N)

Round
Pick

Drafted By
Player
Current Team
Games Since
Drafted

GWS (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)
Thomas Boyd (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--thomas-boyd)
Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

Joshua Kelly (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--joshua-kelly)

St Kilda (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints)
Jack Billings (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--jack-billings)

Marcus Bontempelli (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

Gold Coast (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-gold-coast-suns)
Kade Kolodjashnij (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--kade-kolodjashnij)

Collingwood (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-collingwood-magpies)
Matthew Scharenberg (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--matthew-scharenberg)

Brisbane (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-brisbane-lions)
James Aish (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--james-aish)

Father/Son
North Melbourne (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-kangaroos)
Luke McDonald (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--luke-mcdonald)

Melbourne (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)
Christian Salem (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--christian-salem)

Nathan Freeman

Twodogs
02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Yes I thought pick 4 wasn't right and he should have been a later pick, but then what do I know.

Here is the top ten from that draft:

AFL National Draft held at the end of Season 2013
2013 AFL National Draft Summary (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_draft_summaries?year=2013&t=N)

Round
Pick

Drafted By
Player
Current Team
Games Since
Drafted

Thomas Boyd (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--thomas-boyd)

Joshua Kelly (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-greater-western-sydney-giants--joshua-kelly)

Jack Billings (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--jack-billings)

Marcus Bontempelli (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

Kade Kolodjashnij (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--kade-kolodjashnij)

Matthew Scharenberg (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-collingwood-magpies--matthew-scharenberg)

James Aish (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--james-aish)

Father/Son
Luke McDonald (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-kangaroos--luke-mcdonald)

Christian Salem (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--christian-salem)

Nathan Freeman

He's so much better than that Thomas Boyd bloke!

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Jack Billings = Jimmy Toumpas = Richard Tambling ??

Mofra
02-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Jack Billings = Jimmy Toumpas = Richard Tambling ??
Billings is tracking very nicely - top 5 on performance from the draft for sure (possibly 3rd best)

G-Mo77
02-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Billings is tracking very nicely - top 5 on performance from the draft for sure (possibly 3rd best)

If he can stay healthy they'll have a heck of a player.

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 05:12 PM

Not meant to be a harsh critique of Billings, he's ok.

But he does have the millstone of being the guy who got selected immediately ahead of Bont.

Bont is youngest player ever to be ranked top 20 in AFL player stats, Billings is #362.

Mantis
02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Bont is youngest player ever to be ranked top 20 in AFL player stats, Billings is #362.

How many games has Billings played this year?

Pretty sure he showed against us earlier this year that he is going to be a heck of a player.

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 05:17 PM
How many games has Billings played this year?

Pretty sure he showed against us earlier this year that he is going to be a heck of a player.

Not saying he's a bad player, just saying he's got the weight of having Bont directly behind him in draft picks.

Twodogs
02-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Billings got them going against us the first time around. He was in everything in the third quarter.

Greystache
02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I really wanted Bonti if we couldn't get Boyd. The club decided we shouldn't compromise :D

* Before anyone wants to start quoting from earlier in the thread, I didn't know anything about Bonti pre-draft but his profile

Remi Moses
02-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Remember watching a last quarter he played for metro where he just ripped it up.
The game was iced, but he just got better and better
The curve just goes up with the Bont .

ledge
02-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I saw him kick the first 4 goals against Geelong in the VFL that was a defining moment, think he played his first game the next week.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
In fairness to all who posted on page one of the thread (myself included) I think we all rated Bont very highly, but just weren't quite sure where he would play his best football, whether he could be a full time mid and whether some of the other players who had been highly touted for longer were safer bets.

Thankfully we did pick the Bont - although the first round of the draft is going to end with more hits, and pretty damn good players, than not.

Dancin' Douggy
02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah. I'm not trying to put the spotlight on anyone because I had absolutely no real idea about the bont til we drafted him. He's clearly an exCEPTIONAL talent and if you re did the last 5 drafts all bunched up together I reckon I'd take bont and stringer if I had picks 1 & 2. Jessie hogan may tempt me but.... I still think bont and stringer win.

comrade
02-09-2015, 08:52 PM
We've always had stars - Johnno, Westy, and the great Christ Grant - but watching players like Carey, Buddy, GAJ etc basically will their team to the ultimate success on the back of their talent, I prayed we'd find that once in a generation type.

It doesn't make sense, but I think we may have 2...

Dancin' Douggy
02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
We've always had stars - Johnno, Westy, and the great Christ Grant - but watching players like Carey, Buddy, GAJ etc basically will their team to the ultimate success on the back of their talent, I prayed we'd find that once in a generation type.

I agree. And I've NEVER thought or said that before.

1eyedog
02-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Wait till Tom Boyd starts clunking everything.

Tom Boyd is going to be a sensation. Some of his grabs already have been nothing short of breath taking.

Twodogs
02-09-2015, 11:40 PM
Wait till Tom Boyd starts clunking everything.

Tom Boyd is going to be a sensation. Some of his grabs already have been nothing short of breath taking.

Yep. That way he plants his feet to protect the drop zone and then twists his body until so that the ball drops into his arms is a thing of beauty.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2015, 03:22 AM
In fairness to all who posted on page one of the thread (myself included) I think we all rated Bont very highly, but just weren't quite sure where he would play his best football, whether he could be a full time mid and whether some of the other players who had been highly touted for longer were safer bets.

Thankfully we did pick the Bont - although the first round of the draft is going to end with more hits, and pretty damn good players, than not.

Part of that is the good environment we have at Whitten oval surely. Melbourne have had enough high draft picks to sink a ship. As GVG says, Bevo could make a player of Jack Watts. Look at his highlights reel from TAC. It's every bit as good as Bont's or Stringer's.

Mantis
03-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Part of that is the good environment we have at Whitten oval surely. Melbourne have had enough high draft picks to sink a ship. As GVG says, Bevo could make a player of Jack Watts. Look at his highlights reel from TAC. It's every bit as good as Bont's or Stringer's.

Whilst the coach plays a role to play it really comes down to the individual and to the drive to succeed they have.

Bulldog Joe
03-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Whilst the coach plays a role to play it really comes down to the individual and to the drive to succeed they have.

While the individual drive is important (and perhaps should be part of talent identification), the environment they move to also has a huge impact.

Melbourne have burnt so much talent over the past 10 years.

bornadog
03-09-2015, 10:11 AM
While the individual drive is important (and perhaps should be part of talent identification), the environment they move to also has a huge impact.

Melbourne have burnt so much talent over the past 10 years.

I wonder if they had have picked Nic Nat as the number one , what would have happened?

craigsahibee
03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
I wonder if they had have picked Nic Nat as the number one , what would have happened?

Lots of hitouts but no clearances. They would still be crap and NicNat would now be at his 2nd club.

bornadog
03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Lots of hitouts but no clearances. They would still be crap and NicNat would now be at his 2nd club.

I have always thought that Roos was over rated.

craigsahibee
03-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Same here. Had a handy list at Sydney to work with and relied on his assistants. I don't think he has that much to offer tactically. His stock standard gameplan is defensive minded and doesn't seem to be able to "coach" his players to be able to play any other way.

Bulldog4life
03-09-2015, 12:15 PM

I agree. A dour defensive coach

bornadog
03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Highlights of The Bont

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-09-01/perfect-game-for-bont

Sedat
03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
He's a bit like the INXS of coaches - not bad in his prime but dated horribly very quickly since then.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
I agree. A dour defensive coach

I loved the moment he held the cup aloft and shouted 'Here it is'. I highly rate any coach who has managed any AFL team to a final in the past ten years.

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 09:15 PM
FWIW, Bont now ranked #13 player in AFL.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2015, 09:17 PM

Yet no talk about him being in the All Australian team

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 09:17 PM
And not even mentioned for AA???

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Yet no talk about him being in the All Australian team

Jinx

Bulldog4life
07-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Jinx

Don't usually beat you ha ha

comrade
07-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Terrible case of second year blues.

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
And not even mentioned for AA???

Well if Lewis Taylor is not getting talked up, why would Bont be mentioned:o

Mantis
07-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I think Bont missed the memo that we weren't to try too hard on Saturday.. The kid only knows one way.

He's a gem!

comrade
07-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I think Bont missed the memo that we weren't to try too hard on Saturday.. The kid only knows one way.

He's a gem!

Looking forward to seeing him light up a final.

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Still surprised that we, collectively, don't have him ranked in our 6 leaders in the Woof Awards (after R22 at least).

Mantis
07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Still surprised that we, collectively, don't have him ranked in our 6 leaders in the Woof Awards (after R22 at least).

His middle part of the season wasn't super, which is when quite a few of his team-mates excelled.. Hitting his straps now.

Murphy'sLore
08-09-2015, 11:21 AM
His middle part of the season wasn't super, which is when quite a few of his team-mates excelled.. Hitting his straps now.

As usual, he shows perfect timing.

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2015, 01:04 PM

Where can you see this stat?
Would love to have a look

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 01:21 PM

The AFL have the player ratings on their website. It's usually in the bottom left hand corner of their homepage at www.afl.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au).

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2015, 01:24 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T140

Here it is. I've clicked on the bulldogs team. It's quite interesting. If you click on a players name. A graph comes up of their entire career rankings. Like a worm. Bonty's just goes straight up!!!! So does Stringers. It's interesting to look at the troughs and peaks over a long career. But Both Bob and Easton, for example, despite some troughs are both having solid improvement and both are in best career form.........pretty sure it's a fairly common theme across our group this year.

B668

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Yep. I find it interesting that Bont is such a phenomenal scorer given a lot of his best qualities are hard to measure statistically. He doesn't wrack up outrageous numbers, yet their models have him the best young player in the game by miles. It's apparently a fairly complicated scoring system they have.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2015, 01:50 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings

Dancin' Douggy
08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings

Thanks Bulldog Joe

hujsh
08-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Yep. I find it interesting that Bont is such a phenomenal scorer given a lot of his best qualities are hard to measure statistically. He doesn't wrack up outrageous numbers, yet their models have him the best young player in the game by miles. It's apparently a fairly complicated scoring system they have.

Which on-field acts contribute to a player's score?

Every time a player is involved in a passage of play he has the chance to accrue points. But rather than his score being a simple tally of his possessions, marks, tackles, hit-outs, free-kicks and scores, his performance is measured using a system called Equity Ratings. The system determines where and how a player influences a contest and whether the player's effort then results in a positive result for his team. Equity Ratings includes what coaches love to describe as "pressure acts". As a result, players are rewarded for interrupting opposition passages of play as well as setting up scores for their own team.

Players who consistently produce positive contributions are rewarded more highly than players with a high volume of stats. As an example, a 20-disposal game by Cyril Rioli, where 17 disposals are positive and only one is negative, can have the same impact as a 40-disposal game by Dane Swan, where 25 are positive and nine are negative.
From the link above

bulldogtragic
08-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Imagine if he gets the rising star on top of AFLPA. Then imagine he get All Australian or the squad at 19. That's the stuff a even bigger legend could be built on. By every objective measure he should turn 20 with more accolades than any other recent player. We know he's a superstar and AFL legend, but he deserves better treatment by the AFL and right to smash all records. There's a tinge of disappointment for me that he's not been elevated by the governing body for an outstanding first two years. But I've got another 13 or more years to get over it and see all records tumble by then.

ledge
09-09-2015, 08:54 AM
This early in his career it will be interesting to see if he gets many brownlow votes, did he get any last year ?

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 02:54 PM
This early in his career it will be interesting to see if he gets many brownlow votes, did he get any last year ?

Bont got 4 votes last year. You'd reckon he'll top that this year as he has been the standout on a few occasions.

The AFL have done a phantom brownlow this year, predicting the 3-2-1 of every match. They have Fyfe winning by a mile on 30.

They have top Dogs as Stringer 10, Wallis 9, Hunter 8, Bont 8.

Ozza
09-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I would have said Bonti has potentially 4 best on grounds.

v WCE round 1
v Richmond
v Gold Coast
v North Melbourne

Apart from that you'd think he polls v Sydney (23 poss & 2 goals), against Collingwood (28 poss and a goal), and maybe against Port Adelaide where he was prominent along with a host of others.

He's very noticeable. Wins contested ball. Kicks goals. I'd be surprised if he didn't poll well throughout his career.

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
I would have said Bonti has potentially 4 best on grounds.

v WCE round 1
v Richmond
v Gold Coast
v North Melbourne

Apart from that you'd think he polls v Sydney (23 poss & 2 goals), against Collingwood (28 poss and a goal), and maybe against Port Adelaide where he was prominent along with a host of others.

He's very noticeable. Wins contested ball. Kicks goals. I'd be surprised if he didn't poll well throughout his career.

In the Phantom brownlow they gave Bont 3 in R2 & R15 and 2 in R22.

chef
08-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Just a reminder about Bont Day today on Fox.

1eyedog
08-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Hate seeing big names up in lights in the off season. Makes me nervous.

Twodogs
08-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Looks like he could be anything from a good player, to a star for us. As would've any of the kids picked around him do. From the video package I saw he has good awareness, looks to have sharp hands and puts the ball in the right spots.

He turned out alright.

dukedog
09-12-2016, 09:22 AM
He turned out alright.

Yeh. Maybe give him one more year before delisting. Dalrymple has alot of explaining to do with the last few years of recruits. Hahhaha...woof woof

soupman
09-12-2016, 09:58 AM
This thread is very interesting reading just 3 years later.

It's fair to say he has come on quicker than expected:

"Down the track I like the dynamic talent and positional ability of Bonts. Both (Bont and Aish) are going to be three years players in terms of having a regular impact so I don't see them being walk-ups in our side."

"Personally, I'm not worried if he doesn't debut at all - he's a few days off from being a bottom-ager anyway.

I'm making the assumption that a 192-194cm player will take longer (he'll make a mockery of me now)."

"I would be pleasantly surprised if we begin to see anything like the best of Marcus in less than 3-4 years. I just have a gut feeling looking at him, that he will be still growing for a couple more years at least. Likely he will just be growing into his own body over the next 2+ years, also adjusting to his increased body mass as he spends time in the weights room."

Others preferred the "safer" bet of SA prospects Aish and Scharenberg.

"Scharenberg is a much safer option than Bontempelli and should be selected on that basis. Bomtempelli may end up a better player but we won't be disappointed with Scharenberg and their is more risk with Bontempelli."

"Personally for a quicker fix the two SA boys would probably be better."

Others questioned his ability to perform in big games

"Bontempelli could not manage a best in both TAC finals. It's a real worry he can't perform really well in these big games."

One thinks a comparism to Koby Stevens was overly complimentary to Bont

"You're comparing one bloke playing against kids to another playing against elite senior AFL players. Let's see how Bonts marks, kicks, handles the ball and makes decisions under real pressure competing against big bodied opposition (not suggesting we judge him in his first year).

I think you do Stevens a disservice."

And just for the record one poster talked up the importance of handballing, something we built a premiership on

"Most underrated aspect of the game and IMO nowhere near enough time spent on perfecting the craft - the amount of players at the top level who fumble, or whose handballs send teammates into trouble just baffles me - that being off by half a metre/split second is game changing. You get away with it in nothing games with plenty of time and space, but unfortunately finals give you neither. On the opposite side of the spectrum it's an absolute weapon - creating space where there should have been none or giving a teammate an extra second to compose themselves is just as critical as a quality kick."

Mofra
09-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Speaking of interesting quotes in this thread:

I like the core we're developing but it's time to throw the sink at that one missing piece in our forward line.

I'd really hate to see a repeat of 2008-2010 where we had such an abundance of talent across the ground but just lacked the forward structure to get over the line against the best.
Next minute - Tom Boyd mega deal, Boyd takes 6 contested marks and kicks 3 goals in the GF

Twodogs
09-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Speaking of interesting quotes in this thread:

Next minute - Tom Boyd mega deal, Boyd takes 6 contested marks and kicks 3 goals in the GF

Including one from the goalsquare at the other end.

This is a really interesting thread to read in hindsight.

Ozza
09-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Like others - found it very interesting reading the first few pages. Amazing what Bonti has done - and the degree to which he surpassed even the most bullish expectations.

Other side of the coin - is that it was widely considered a lot safer to recruit Aish or Scharenbeg. Fair to say the pies and lions had some misfortune there.

Billings' battles during this season have gone a bit under the radar. But from what I've heard around the traps, the saints have been worried about how he is coming on as a player, and whether 'the Bont thing' is getting to him, having being drafted one pick before.

Ozza
09-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Like others - found it very interesting reading the first few pages. Amazing what Bonti has done - and the degree to which he surpassed even the most bullish expectations.

Other side of the coin - is that it was widely considered a lot safer to recruit Aish or Scharenbeg. Fair to say the pies and lions had some misfortune there.

Billings' battles during this season have gone a bit under the radar. But from what I've heard around the traps, the saints have been worried about how he is coming on as a player, and whether 'the Bont thing' is getting to him, having being drafted one pick before.

choconmientay
09-12-2016, 06:36 PM
This was written by Emma Quayle on the eve of the GF. I missed it then but read it when did some random internet search. Love the references by Libba: "

"He's not that good at footy," he said. "He's got a horrible hair cut. He's pretty ugly; big schnoz. He is pretty shy with the girls, he needs to find a good woman. But he's a good Italian boy, like me."

And some interesting background information from Dal reviewing of Bonti performance before the draft.

Sorry if this is a double post.

Marcus Bontempelli, the Western Bulldogs' Mr Perfect (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/marcus-bontempelli-the-western-bulldogs-mr-perfect-20160929-grrp3y.html)

Marcus Bontempelli took his mother to the Brownlow. When he moved out of home he moved in with one of his sisters. He decided to become an anti-violence ambassador because he could, because the crime statistics he heard about worried him so much. He never got into trouble for talking in the school library and he looked after his Year 7 "buddy". He's polite, he's well-mannered and one of the very big reasons the Western Bulldogs have made it all the way to grand final day.

Is he perfect? Yes, says one teammate. "You know what, he literally is the perfect human," said Jake Stringer. "He's so nice. He's too nice. It's almost sad, how nice he is. It's like, be in a bad mood for once." Tom Liberatore agrees, in his own affectionate way. "He's not that good at footy," he said. "He's got a horrible hair cut. He's pretty ugly; big schnoz. He is pretty shy with the girls, he needs to find a good woman. But he's a good Italian boy, like me."

The Bulldogs spoke to a long list of people, while trying to work out whether Bontempelli was the player they most wanted to pick at No.4 in the draft three years ago. His parents. His coaches. His home room teacher at Marcellin, and even the librarian. Their answers were all the same: he was friendly, respectful, well spoken. A listener; an optimist. "They were glowing," said Simon Dalrymple, the Bulldogs' recruiting manager. "All of them. And we did a fair bit of work."

There was something else they needed to know, though: whether all that pleasantness was matched by the desire, drive and determination he would need to become the player he looked like he could be. Dalrymple suspected he did; he had watched him play, after all. He had also played cricket against two of his uncles on his mother's side, and knew them to be tough, unrelenting competitors. Those were some of the things he came back to, after interviewing Bontempelli himself.

http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/g/r/r/p/0/p/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.grrp3y.png/1475143650823.jpg
Marcus Bontempelli with his mum Geraldine at the Brownlow. Photo: Vince Caligiuri

"His last game for the year was a fascinating one and it's become a big lesson for our recruiting team, because he had a shocker. He got tagged, he didn't handle it well, then we spoke to him a few weeks later and the way he was explaining it didn't match up with what happened in the game," Dalrymple said. "He wasn't making anything up, he was just cliches, and when we said to him 'OK, have a look at this vision', and showed it to him, you could almost see him start to think, 'wow, this is fair dinkum'.

"It was a lesson for us because his answers weren't great, but being tagged was new to him. He'd had no help and it had never really happened before. We had to put some context around it and go back to his body of work, and what did come through with him was how much he cared. He had a real desire to want to get better and you see it with him now, he does all the one percenters. He didn't want to be good, he wanted to be really good."

He still does. But for reasons he did not know, back then. Bontempelli arrived at the Bulldogs with no real idea of what he might be able to achieve in his first few years; he had to get started before he could work all that out. He barracked for Richmond as a kid, and knew very little about his club's story when he got there. But the more he has found out the more he has wanted to know, and the more he has felt like part of something much, much bigger than him.

Bontempelli likes it when supporters tell him how things used to be. He watched the Year of the Dog documentary with a group of his teammates. He calls his club's past players servicemen and when he meets and talks to them wants to know how their passion for the club began and then grew. Every time he speaks to one of them, they seem to remember something new.

http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/g/r/r/p/1/c/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.grrp3y.png/1475143650823.jpg
Mr Perfect? Marcus Bontempelli has been described by Bulldogs teammate Jake Stringer as "the perfect human". Photo: Michael Dodge

"When you get drafted you're happy to be part of any club. But as soon as you get there you want to become part of the club and feel like part of the family and that's one thing I'm grateful I was able to experience early in the piece. It didn't take me long to feel like this is my club and for us to feel like it's our club," he said.

"You come here and you meet past players, you meet long-serving players, you meet all the diehards and the fans. They're the fabric of the club and they're the history, really, just talking to them and seeing them around and working out for ourselves what the identity of the club is.

http://www.theage.com.au/content/dam/images/g/r/r/q/b/m/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.grrp3y.png/1475163171118.jpg
Passionate: Marcus Bontempelli is a big reason the Bulldogs have made the grand final. Photo: Getty Images

"Of course you come in wanting to develop and learn and be as good as you can be, but it's a different thing when you start to really care about the club and what it's been through and what the people who come before you have experienced over time. You start to understand why you're really doing it and why it matters to people and why the things that we do mean so much to them."

That's this week, but all the ones leading up to it, too. "Life is a balance and so is footy and I'm not going to say we owe it to ourselves this week, but we've put ourselves in a fortunate position and it's not just us who have contributed to that, there are so many people over so many years who have done that," said Bontempelli.

He's not that good at footy. He's got a horrible hair cut.
Tom Liberatore

"That's how I feel. When you get drafted, just playing footy is the biggest thing and the most important thing in your life. Now, playing footy for this club matters more. That might sound like a cliche or it might not make sense. But that's how it feels to me."

bulldogtragic
09-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Just reading all this for the first time....

To declare, I was on the Kelly bandwagon until it was clear he was going higher. I then jumped onto the Marcus bandwagon. So I'm a fan and backer.

I know how much every loves Koby Stevens. It's like this in a comparison to Stevens; Marcus is a better mark, much better kick, has much, much better hands, doesn't put his team mates under pressure, makes better decisions, is a similar pace, and will have/has better endurance.

For the talk about Everitt failure... Marcus is rated top 6 by every other club, especially Collingwood. Andreajs was only rated first round by us, sandwiched by better prospects (ie Riewoldt Jnr) hence the bad call. And fwiw, he's more Kouta than Everitt. Development and teaching will be the difference.

There are not many players with elite pace, elite hands and elite kicking. I put Marcus in the elite hands and elite kicking. While pace is not yet elite, if he's using the ball at 80% in dangerous positions setting up the play, I can live with this better than a quicker midfielder with higher turnover rates or disposal issues. And over the years we have lauded some young, fast or 'hard nuts' that don't have good DE or butcher the ball.

Reading some of this makes me think unless he wins a brownlow he's the next whipping boy. But I'm a believer that this won't eventuate.

Welcome aboard.

16,000 posts from me, and finally I've found a sensible one.

(P.S. I think I'm the first to compare him to Kouta. Media always lagging behind me as usual!)

bulldogtragic
09-12-2016, 06:59 PM
You're comparing one bloke playing against kids to another playing against elite senior AFL players. Let's see how Bonts marks, kicks, handles the ball and makes decisions under real pressure competing against big bodied opposition (not suggesting we judge him in his first year).

I think you do Stevens a disservice.

Can we do it now? :D

ledge
10-12-2016, 12:57 PM
I remember watching him kick the first four goals in a VFL game I think it was,, from that day I knew we had something very very special.
Those ones you just know eg Hawkins,Grant, Templeton, Dempsey, very rare gold.

comrade
10-12-2016, 01:42 PM
IMO, the night we drafted Bont will go down as the 2nd most important thing that happened to this club in 60 years.

Number 1 being the appointment of Bevo, of course.

Disclaimer: I'm putting aside the 1989 comeback here and in no way am I downplaying the significance of this event in our history.

merantau
10-12-2016, 03:28 PM
I have watched lot of players over the years and the Bont is out of the top drawer. He is destined to be one of our greatest players and greatest people. He is smart, skilled, sensible, tough, likable, humble - an individual star and a team player. His goal against GWS was off the scale for excitement and inspiration. He is class and genius combined.

Twodogs
10-12-2016, 05:31 PM
I have watched lot of players over the years and the Bont is out of the top drawer. He is destined to be one of our greatest players and greatest people. He is smart, skilled, sensible, tough, likable, humble - an individual star and a team player. His goal against GWS was off the scale for excitement and inspiration. He is class and genius combined.

He owns moments and wins games.

LostDoggy
10-12-2016, 05:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBU9xkd0l5o

Just echoing everybody elses appreciation of The Bont as an all time great in the making. In my time as a Dogs fan, the only other 2 who came close to showing such obvious greatness from the get go were the Hawk and Chris Grant. The day I was convinced he was a generational player was in career game No.4, scores were level in the dying minutes and he single handedly did what usually only a great, experienced leader can pull off:

KT31
11-12-2016, 09:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBU9xkd0l5o

Goal of the Century, how didn't did win Goal of the Year is unfathomable.

More highlights of The Bonts, music is very annoying and drowns out the commentary but I could watch the footage all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deQxASfn1MU

LostDoggy
25-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Octocall of The Bont vs Hodge-2016 Semi.
Courtesy of Al's Highlights.
Enjoy:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMliXpuyVa0

Twodogs
26-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Was reportedly superb in the second half of the season, had a 50 possie 10 goal game in school footy

Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft

However, very young, only a year off being able to run around again in TAC cup, and he is a very tall midfielder

Wing, half back would appear to be his best starting point

It would be a bold starting point. He's not the guy I'd pick at 4 but if we had two top 10's a la Collingwood then I'd completely support one of them being spent on Bonto

Thank god they got that one wrong.:D

Easily the best.

Eastdog
26-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Yes welcome to the Dogs Marcus. Highly rated so very happy to pick him up.

Highly rated and how right I was :)