PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

bornadog
01-07-2021, 11:20 PM
Lmao of course he was.

I don’t doubt that he told you this. I just doubt that it, you know, happened.

He does pump his own tyres.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2021, 11:22 PM

Someone has to. I don’t know anyone who would.

Twodogs
01-07-2021, 11:27 PM
Lmao of course he was.

I'm not the only one then?

Happy Days
01-07-2021, 11:28 PM
You may have heard about the 2016 premiership, but I bet you haven’t heard about all of the players one by one ringing B-Mac in the rooms immediately after the game to tell him that he’s the best coach any of them ever played for and that he was responsible for the flag and that he’s also a very cool and handsome guy.

Twodogs
01-07-2021, 11:46 PM
You may have heard about the 2016 premiership, but I bet you haven’t heard about all of the players one by one ringing B-Mac in the rooms immediately after the game to tell him that he’s the best coach any of them ever played for and that he was responsible for the flag and that he’s also a very cool and handsome guy.

It's that school teacher coolness he has going for him.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2021, 02:08 AM
It's that school teacher coolness he has going for him.

Oh come on. Who can say if its true or not?
B-Mac was a Bulldogs coach. He may have not been the best, but he wore the colours. If it's true well, thanks B-Mac.
I'm sure he did his best. However, I remember some interviews with Simon where he gave details about why Bont was taken. Extra reach and such. Who knows how it went down.

Anyway, like Brendan and Shaw, Teague is struggling too, despite being highly rated at the Crows. It's one thing to be a good assistant coach. It's another to succeed in the cut-throat world of head coach.

azabob
02-07-2021, 01:41 PM

AshMac or BMAC? ;)

bornadog
02-07-2021, 02:41 PM
AshMac or BMAC? ;)

haha

AshMac
02-07-2021, 10:50 PM
Lmao of course he was.

yeh he was bitter. furiously so. used to really unleash

AshMac
02-07-2021, 10:52 PM
AshMac or BMAC? ;)

both

1eyedog
03-07-2021, 01:02 AM
both

Is that you? Brendan?

Twodogs
03-07-2021, 12:06 PM
Oh come on. Who can say if its true or not?
B-Mac was a Bulldogs coach. He may have not been the best, but he wore the colours. If it's true well, thanks B-Mac.
I'm sure he did his best. However, I remember some interviews with Simon where he gave details about why Bont was taken. Extra reach and such. Who knows how it went down.

Anyway, like Brendan and Shaw, Teague is struggling too, despite being highly rated at the Crows. It's one thing to be a good assistant coach. It's another to succeed in the cut-throat world of head coach.

When he was first appointed I asked a guy I knew from Geelong about him. His exact quote was "top of the line sergeant Major but he's just not officer material"

mjp
03-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Anyway - Bont came up one day and he told me that Dalrymple was resolute on Aish; BMac had to put his foot down and force Bont through. Said when he went out to watch him play juniors he was the best player he'd seen "since watching Gaz as a junior with Bomber Thompson"

It's not a great secret that SD and I aren't great mates but he was 100% paddling the Bont canoe leading into that draft.

mjp
03-07-2021, 12:50 PM
I'm sure he did his best.

Was it worse being a fan when B-Mac was coaching or when P-Rohde (aka "Our Mastermind") was coaching.

At least their was comedy in the Rohde years. B-Mac had us playing the most BORING footy in the history of the world. And then he would tell us about the 'fine young men' in the side. C'mon - I lived through this and so did you...we were all relieved when it was over!

hujsh
03-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Was it worse being a fan when B-Mac was coaching or when P-Rohde (aka "Our Mastermind") was coaching.

At least their was comedy in the Rohde years. B-Mac had us playing the most BORING footy in the history of the world. And then he would tell us about the 'fine young men' in the side. C'mon - I lived through this and so did you...we were all relieved when it was over!

It was basically like having a chore to do each week. It was a relief when we'd get smashed early so I could go do something (anything) else.

Happy Days
03-07-2021, 01:31 PM

B-Mac sucked and almost ruined the careers of several guys who ended up being premiership players.

Grantysghost
03-07-2021, 02:01 PM
B-Mac sucked and almost ruined the careers of several guys who ended up being premiership players.
He had the right idea I think at heart re defence first. But he didn’t seem to have a plan after that.

bornadog
03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
He had the right idea I think at heart re defence first. But he didn’t seem to have a plan after that.

What irritates me is people thought BMAC made us a contested Poss team, yet we were under Rocket anyway (top 3 for CP)

1eyedog
05-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Eddie Betts' kid lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5gFczbVcAE0ycJ?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
05-07-2021, 10:14 PM
Eddie Betts' kid lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5gFczbVcAE0ycJ?format=jpg&name=large

Did EJ have little EJ dolls in the homes of the leagues best players and their kids? This generation’s Mr Football. Just needs to start calling everyone Knackers.

bornadog
06-07-2021, 12:03 AM
Did EJ have little EJ dolls in the homes of the leagues best players and their kids? This generation’s Mr Football. Just needs to start calling everyone Knackers.

My first footy boots were EJ Whitten Boots. :) I tell you they were like those big heavy work boots

Hotdog60
06-07-2021, 06:47 AM
My first footy boots were EJ Whitten Boots. :) I tell you they were like those big heavy work boots

It would be interesting to know the stats on ankle injuries back in the day of the high lace ups versus today with the low cut boot.

1eyedog
06-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Mine too. Big black ankle high gumboot type things with screw in stops and a hard plastic bottom plate. I used to wear them everywhere till the stops were completely worn. Used to slide all over the place on bitumen and concrete.

Twodogs
06-07-2021, 08:11 PM
Mine too. Big black ankle high gumboot type things with screw in stops and a hard plastic bottom plate. I used to wear them everywhere till the stops were completely worn. Used to slide all over the place on bitumen and concrete.

Leading into the cricket season I used to wear my cricket helmet around the house just to get used to it. Until the night I was sitting on the couch watching telly and one of my kids thought they'd test it out by beaning me from behind with a cricket ball.

jeemak
06-07-2021, 09:29 PM

This is complete horse shit. Not the first bit, the second.

There were only a few games where things looked like coming together at the end of 2013, but largely it was a contested maul and terrible viewing. I've heard a couple of players talk about his skills development focus and in-close work, and each benefitted us post his sacking. Bevo didn't have the worst base to work with when he took over on this front.

What irritates me is people thought BMAC made us a contested Poss team, yet we were under Rocket anyway (top 3 for CP)

Eade had the group between 2008-2011 playing a contested brand. His issue was personnel not being quite there at the pointy end and the fact we looked so damn good when playing on our terms, meaning the perception was we weren't a contested side. McCartney concentrated on contested footy and it gave some of our younger players a harder edge than they might have had under another coach.

He gets no credit for the 2016 flag from my perspective, but without him we probably retain selfish players like Lake, Higgins and Cooney etc. and the inherent issues with the playing list and its leaders don't come to a head like they needed to. He's the recession we had to have! :D

Happy Days
06-07-2021, 11:17 PM
This is complete horse shit. Not the first bit, the second

Hmmm. Easton Wood was playing as a key defender and was statistically the worst one in the league. JJ and Picken were well on their ways out of the league and Matthew Boyd was horribly miscast to the point of infighting.

Two years later and all four were premiership players, two All Australians, one a Norm Smith Medalist and one a Finals MVP. And that’s just off the top of my head as I’m desperately trying to avoid exercising at the gym.

He was stubborn as an ox and half as good a coach as one. He hangs around and we’re St Kilda at best.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 12:05 AM
Just a reminder

https://media2.giphy.com/media/UOF1AfufbmRJDq7XPI/200w.gif

EasternWest
07-07-2021, 12:08 AM
Just a reminder

That doesn't remind me of anything.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 12:14 AM
That doesn't remind me of anything.

Not even that this is a Bont thread.

EasternWest
07-07-2021, 12:27 AM

Lol.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 12:32 AM
Hmmm. Easton Wood was playing as a key defender and was statistically the worst one in the league. JJ and Picken were well on their ways out of the league and Matthew Boyd was horribly miscast to the point of infighting.

Two years later and all four were premiership players, two All Australians, one a Norm Smith Medalist and one a Finals MVP. And that’s just off the top of my head as I’m desperately trying to avoid exercising at the gym.

He was stubborn as an ox and half as good a coach as one. He hangs around and we’re St Kilda at best.

JJ averaged in his last six games in 2014 a bit over his career average(20 over 19), albeit missing round 21 - not really sure he'd have been out of the system after that. Picken played 22 games in defencive roles through the middle/ forward and averaged 18 touches, at his career average. Putting him in more offencive roles was a Bevo master stroke, as was doing the same with respect to changing the role of Matthew Boyd after he placed seventh in the B&F in 2014. According to Wikipedia 2014 was a big improvement for Wood where he played more games than he did in any other year at the club to that point. I'll take your word that he was the worst key defender in the competition but he shouldn't have been playing that role anyway but personnel issues meant he had to, so again, I'd hardly call him a candidate for finishing up his career then and there because of the coach of the day.

I don't think he was a good coach, but his record speaks for itself meaning we don't have to make stuff up to demonstrate it.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 12:35 AM
Just a reminder

You helped start the diversion off topic so you're just going to have to let it run its course you meanie.

SquirrelGrip
09-07-2021, 12:35 PM
I've just come across this Twitter feed with every one of Bont's goals. Extraordinary!

https://twitter.com/JustBontThings

The bulldog tragician
09-07-2021, 02:21 PM
I've just come across this Twitter feed with every one of Bont's goals. Extraordinary!

https://twitter.com/JustBontThings

Settle in for the afternoon…

Mantis
09-07-2021, 02:47 PM
Settle in for the afternoon…

Yep... my lunch break went for slightly longer than originally planned.

azabob
19-07-2021, 10:14 AM
I've heard it a couple of times know the Garry Lyon wrote a letter (or something to that effect) a couple of years ago to Bontempelli.

Does anyone know the circumstances that lead to it?

dadsgirl16
19-07-2021, 10:26 AM
it was before the bush fires state of origin game...he wrote to Bont and Tim Watson wrote to Toby Green

Grantysghost
06-11-2023, 03:49 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/qqFsGg93/Screenshot-20231106-144524.png (https://postimages.org/)

Murphy'sLore
07-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Tatts mystery solved at last.

ReLoad
07-11-2023, 01:10 PM

shame, its like putting a vinyl wrap on a Ferrari.

bornadog
07-11-2023, 01:45 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/qqFsGg93/Screenshot-20231106-144524.png (https://postimages.org/)

Relax and get ready for a big season

chef
07-11-2023, 02:23 PM

You dont put bumper stickers on a Rolls Royce.

Murphy'sLore
07-11-2023, 02:31 PM
But you can take the vinyl and the bumper stickers off the car, not so easy with ink or so they tell me

ledge
07-11-2023, 03:16 PM
He could have afforded better ones.

bornadog
07-11-2023, 03:39 PM

Maybe work in progress

ledge
07-11-2023, 03:59 PM

jazzadogs
07-11-2023, 05:42 PM
I never thought I'd be comparing Bont and Jack Anthony but one time I saw Jack Anthony at a pool bar in Bali and it was giving similar vibes. Just another bogan in Bali.

I think the shade makes it look like he's missing a tooth or two.

soupman
07-11-2023, 07:47 PM
I think it's disappointing because the previous image implied it was gonna be a full chest piece.

Now I didn't think that would have been a good choice, but at least it'd be something. He's instead gone for three very non committal little pieces and imo if you are going to do the little piece thing quantity>quality absolutely, so unless he has more planned it just instantly looks like regret.

Apologies if this applies to anyone here.

Grantysghost
07-11-2023, 08:36 PM

Is that a goat above the left bontemnipple..?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-11-2023, 09:42 PM
I thought that too very appropriate

Twodogs
07-11-2023, 10:05 PM

I thought that too very appropriate

I've heard that he was born with it.

GVGjr
08-11-2023, 09:21 AM
Bont has undergone ankle surgery but says he should be right for pre-season training.

Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/07/marcus-bontempelli-undergoes-ankle-procedure-following-return-to-training/) underwent ankle surgery on Monday, after noticing some swelling at pre-season training.

The star midfielder had just returned from some time away in Canada and the U.S, but says the ankle was giving him a few issues and the club felt it was best to get the procedure done as soon as possible.

Bontempelli says he expects to be back up and running for the November 27 beginning of pre-season training.

“I’ll move to ease everyone’s tensions or concerns, it’s just a little ankle clean-up,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Got through the season and whatnot pretty good and then had my break, started training and noticed a few little signs, a little bit of swelling and it was staying a little bit angry post-session since coming back from my off-season trip.

“So we just decided it was better to act now rather than pushing into the pre-season and then season, going for a little tidy up.

“Should still be well and truly on track to get things going once we’re back on the 27th of November.

“No big concern here, better to act sooner rather than later and get going. Should be (walking) properly by the end of the week.”

Bontempelli will still have a busy November, with the launch of his second children’s book – Little Bont’s Brave Play.

Rocket Science
08-11-2023, 01:33 PM
Bont has undergone ankle surgery but says he should be right for pre-season training.

Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/07/marcus-bontempelli-undergoes-ankle-procedure-following-return-to-training/) underwent ankle surgery on Monday, after noticing some swelling at pre-season training.

The star midfielder had just returned from some time away in Canada and the U.S, but says the ankle was giving him a few issues and the club felt it was best to get the procedure done as soon as possible.

Bontempelli says he expects to be back up and running for the November 27 beginning of pre-season training.

“I’ll move to ease everyone’s tensions or concerns, it’s just a little ankle clean-up,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Got through the season and whatnot pretty good and then had my break, started training and noticed a few little signs, a little bit of swelling and it was staying a little bit angry post-session since coming back from my off-season trip.

“So we just decided it was better to act now rather than pushing into the pre-season and then season, going for a little tidy up.

“Should still be well and truly on track to get things going once we’re back on the 27th of November.

“No big concern here, better to act sooner rather than later and get going. Should be (walking) properly by the end of the week.”

Bontempelli will still have a busy November, with the launch of his second children’s book – Little Bont’s Brave Play.

I for one am relieved we didn't leave this until round one.

azabob
23-03-2024, 01:11 PM
Congrats Bont.

100 games as captain this weekend.

My favourite bulldog player ever…

ledge
23-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Just reading the first few posts in this thread when we discussed whether to take him and who was ahead of him in the draft.
It goes to show we have no idea as fans.
Scharenburg was apparently a better pick who ended up playing 41 games but had 3? ACLs and was delisted.
If you’re ever bored and want a giggle go back and look at long threads on our draft threads.
Please don’t look at the posters though.
We dont know the future and we probably rate as good as the so called “experts” in getting it wrong more times than right.

Hotdog60
22-04-2024, 09:20 PM
‘That’s trouble’: Dogs’ ‘elephant in room’ as ‘frustrated’ superstar’s future in doubt

Superstar Marcus Bontempelli’s status as a one-club player is increasingly up in the air, with reports that the league’s best midfielder is unwilling to commit too far in advance on a new contract - despite his wishes to stay loyal to the Western Bulldogs.

As brought to light by Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle, the Bulldogs captain has been ‘sitting back’ on the idea of re-signing with the club beyond 2025.

“I feel like we tiptoed around the status of the captain, Marcus Bontempelli – he hasn’t been a big talking point so far, where do you think he stands in the clubs melee?” asked Midweek Tackle host and fellow Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark.

“There’s a lot of elephants in the room out at Whitten Oval, and this is one of the biggest ones,” Gullan replied.

“While everyone’s talking about Naughton re-signing, Jamarra, English; Bontempelli comes out (of contract) at the end of 2025 – next year.

“You would think that their best player, you would get on one of these eight or nine-year deals, it hasn’t happened.

“Marcus is sitting back – because I know for a fact that over the summer he was very frustrated, he spoke to several people about the messiness of Whitten Oval (between coach Luke Beveridge, and football director Chris Grant).”

Bontempelli has traditionally been a player who extends his tenure at the Bulldogs in short-term deals (compared to other star players), with this situation on face value seemingly no different.

The 28-year-old signed his current four-year deal to stay at Whitten Oval in May of 2021.

Before that, he received a two-year contract extension in 2018 – signed one year before his previous contract was set to run out.

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/cad820c6fe26bc35977be30f0d2fd8eb?width=768

However, it is the understanding of Gullan that his continued faithfulness to the club that drafted him at Pick #4 in 2013 is no longer guaranteed, should cultural differences between key personnel and team success not be positively rectified.

In a shock to no one, the 221-game player would attract any club in the league that can afford him; should he opt out of his dozen years at the Bulldogs come the end of 2025.

“There are people who have things to do with Marcus who have said ‘I wouldn’t be shocked if he left,’ – now that’s stunning, a lot of water has to go under the bridge, but the point is he’s very frustrated,” added Gullan.

“He’s very loyal Bont obviously – he wants to be there – but this is a reality, and if things continue to go down this path, and he get to the end of this year and he still hasn’t re-signed, that is trouble.

“A lot of people are watching how this plays out, including the captain, who’s frustrated and you see that on the weekend.”

Averaging 25 disposals, 1.4 goals and nearly seven clearances a game so far this season, ‘The Bont’ has been in evergreen form; contrary to his side’s topsy-turvy start in 2024.

The five-time All-Australian has been captain of the Western Bulldogs since 2020, and has kicked 207 goals to date – a seriously impressive ratio in front of the big sticks given his predominant role as an inside midfielder.

The Bulldogs clash tonight with the Bombers – a must-win match for Luke Beveridge’s men if they are to stay in touch with the top eight in the short-term.

LINK (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/thats-trouble-dogs-elpehant-in-room-as-frustrated-superstars-future-in-doubt/news-story/569789df5489e6dd3e3fc34027507161)

Hotdog60
22-04-2024, 09:21 PM
If you like reading crap. :)

angelopetraglia
22-04-2024, 09:27 PM
"Superstar Marcus Bontempelli?s status as a one-club player is increasingly up in the air, with reports that the league?s best midfielder is unwilling to commit too far in advance on a new contract - despite his wishes to stay loyal to the Western Bulldogs."

jeemak
22-04-2024, 09:29 PM
It's a new show with the AFLs star journalists on display (as advertised by FOX).

In trying to get in on the Bulldogs pile on they've reached and none of the other syndicated offerings have caught on yet.

Grantysghost
22-04-2024, 09:37 PM
It might be true. Players are less likely to hang around these days.
It's highly unlikely, we should get our shit together quick smart though just in case.

bornadog
22-04-2024, 09:47 PM
Anything for a story

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/7c/8d/827c8d169518fb3497ceb56760fbb121.gif

bulldogtragic
22-04-2024, 09:49 PM
The guy has nearly two seasons under contract… seems an odd story when we have a string of actual uncontracted players…

angelopetraglia
22-04-2024, 09:51 PM
That the normal mudrakers have not even gone near this suggest to me that there is nothing in it. If there was even 1% truth in this, do you think Morris, Clearly and Damo would not be running with it or trying to manufacture something?

my plums
22-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Isn’t that article from last week? Are they re-running it? I don’t think it holds much water

jeemak
22-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Could you imagine the lambasting we'd get if we prioritised Bont's signature right now instead of the three key out of contract players?

Happy Days
22-04-2024, 09:55 PM
They had this in the can before the Saints game.

Grantysghost
22-04-2024, 10:11 PM
Could you imagine the lambasting we'd get if we prioritised Bont's signature right now instead of the three key out of contract players?
Id be fine with it.

jazzadogs
23-04-2024, 09:39 AM
He'll be 30 when this contract ends. I hope we're not offering him an eight or nine year deal!

bulldogtragic
23-04-2024, 09:40 AM
He'll be 30 when this contract ends. I hope we're not offering him an eight or nine year deal!

12 year deal? Magic Johnson 25 year deal?

azabob
23-04-2024, 09:47 AM

From what I understand Bontempelli likes the shorter contracts to keep himself on edge.

From memory the biggest contract was a four year deal.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2024, 10:25 AM
I would be happy with a 10 year deal. Even 20 would be OK.

MrMahatma
23-04-2024, 07:41 PM
I would be happy with a 10 year deal. Even 20 would be OK.

50 year deal at $100k per year.

GVGjr
23-04-2024, 07:48 PM
50 year deal at $100k per year.

One day a club will structure a long term deal like this that goes 5 years or more past the players actual career and the AFL will shut that option down quick smart.

Happy Days
23-04-2024, 08:40 PM
Didn’t work out when Vince McMahon tried it with Bret Hart.

ledge
24-04-2024, 10:39 AM
One day a club will structure a long term deal like this that goes 5 years or more past the players actual career and the AFL will shut that option down quick smart.

Franklin was always the plan , if he retired early they just had him as a coach of some sort was my thought.

bornadog
02-06-2024, 07:27 PM
What a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4frqLnmPTA&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

EasternWest
02-06-2024, 07:28 PM
What a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4frqLnmPTA&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

It's easy to forget just how good Bont is because he does the top level stuff without you even really noticing.

Then he busts out a quarter like the last one to remind you he's actually one of the greats.

The bulldog tragician
02-06-2024, 08:09 PM
It's easy to forget just how good Bont is because he does the top level stuff without you even really noticing.

Then he busts out a quarter like the last one to remind you he's actually one of the greats.

I don’t ever forget!!

He does something freakish and amazing every single week in even his “poorer” games. That pirouette through the middle on Friday night was sublime.

He played all the last quarter. We ask a lot of our superstar but in a couple of our close losses he somehow ended up marooned on the bench for too long and given who He is, might well have meant we won the game.

Craig McRae’s joke that he would look good in a Collingwood jumper was not funny. Not funny at all.:mad:

jazzadogs
02-06-2024, 08:55 PM
Was it the best individual game across the comp all season?

38 disposals (16 contested)
2 goals
9 tackles
10 clearances
8 score involvements
31 pressure acts

Not to mention the specifics of his last quarter where he did not come off the ground, nullifying Naicos influence, and putting the team on his back in a super important game with no Ed or Libba to help in the middle.

He is an outrageous player. Long may he reign.

azabob
26-07-2024, 07:43 PM
WHY BONTEMPELLI STANDS ABOVE CRIPPS AND MERRETT AS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE FOR ALL-AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN
BY GERARD HEALY

https://open.spotify.com/episode/47cD6DRahevEUHG8I0UuSV

The lobbying has begun for the All-Australian positions and as always 30 into 22 simply doesn't go.

As an aside, given it's so difficult why the AFL commission hasn't changed the qualifications or the executive to make it 23 players is baffling - given one of the guidelines is to have a team reflective as if ready to play.

It was suggested to them two years ago, it's been knocked back. There would be no need to name a sub, just play five on the bench?

That said the lobbying for the captain is on in earnest with Patrick Cripps and Zach Merrett the two being pushed the most.

Merrett has had a great season and has lifted his game to a new level this year. He is being pushed along significantly by many a journo, but it's not a most improved award.

It's interesting that neither Harris Andrews nor Lachie Neale ? co-captains of the Lions - get a mention as skipper even though both have had season after season at the top of their form.

But ultimately, it would be a surprise if the selectors don't settle on the obvious choice.

He's a bloke who's had a sustained period at the top of the competition, who's been All-Australian on five occasions already and been vice-captain in two of them ? but never captain, the ultimate honour on the night.

He's been in the 'best player in the game' conversation year after year. Such a consistent gun being regularly close to the Brownlow.

It's time that the selectors made it official. The ?Bont? is the game's best player, and the ?Bont? should be without question, the All-Australian captain in 2024.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/24/why-bontempelli-stands-above-cripps-and-merrett-as-the-obvious-choice-for/

D Mitchell
27-07-2024, 09:00 PM
WHY BONTEMPELLI STANDS ABOVE CRIPPS AND MERRETT AS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE FOR ALL-AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN
It's time that the selectors made it official. The ?Bont? is the game's best player, and the ?Bont? should be without question, the All-Australian captain in 2024.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/24/why-bontempelli-stands-above-cripps-and-merrett-as-the-obvious-choice-for/

I was going to post something, now I can't recall what it was.

azabob
21-08-2024, 02:03 PM
So... one for bulldogtragic...

So gut feel Bontempelli would be on $1m-$1.1m this season and he is out of contract end of 2025 and is an unrestricted free agent.

Which means if Bont wants to leave, he can walk, and we cannot do a damn thing about it.

How much will clubs such as St. Kilda, North Melbourne, Essendon etc. etc. offer Bontempelli to leave?

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2024, 02:24 PM
Bont would only want to leave for a chance at another flag I would imagine. Not sure cashed up clubs would be able to offer that more than us except Geelong who have an unlimited salary cap.

In terms of $$$ I'm sure Power has worked things to ensure he's more than taken care of. There's no way he's leaving to the likes of essendon, saints, North etc for extra cash.

My only concern (and it's minute) of Bont leaving is if we're still underperforming next year and he has lost patience.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2024, 02:36 PM
So... one for bulldogtragic...

So gut feel Bontempelli would be on $1m-$1.1m this season and he is out of contract end of 2025 and is an unrestricted free agent.

Which means if Bont wants to leave, he can walk, and we cannot do a damn thing about it.

How much will clubs such as St. Kilda, North Melbourne, Essendon etc. etc. offer Bontempelli to leave?

Probably more than we could ever pay. But I’m not worried. He will be the highest ever player at our club ever and it’s captain. As long as we continue trending in the right direction and involved in any major decisions around Bevo if that’s a thing that’d impact him, then he’s close to a cert to stay id think. I’m sure he’ll have 18 offers or 18 list managers aren’t trying to get the best player in the league which would be derelict of them. That don’t mean much.

Axe Man
21-08-2024, 03:02 PM
I'm also not worried. It would take a Petracca like situation for him to want out I reckon.