PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Marcus Bontempelli is a potentially intriguing selection tonight at the draft.

193cm tall, a strong spring in his legs, a thumping kick and with a great endurance base puts him right in the mix. His potential to play a variety of positions also appeals. I think he is right on our radar.

How do you rate his chances of becoming a Western Bulldog tonight?
What position do you see him playing at the senior level?

Are you excited of his potential selection? Do you have any concerns?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Watched both Aish (SANFL GF) and Bonts (Vm vs Vc) again last night just refresh on both, so funny that they were the first two you put up.

Down the track I like the dynamic talent and positional ability of Bonts. Both are going to be three years players in terms of having a regular impact so I don't see them being walk-ups in our side.

Shame I didn't get to see Bonts in the later part of the season as that's where he apparently really started to shine.

In the Metro games he had little impact, but I think this was more to do with his relatively young age compared to the other guns in the sides.

My immediate impression though, with his size, build and some of the things he did was of Pendlebury - likewise those others who've also commented as such.

He'll take time, many areas to improve and build up, but I don't see him as a very high pick with questions over his ability now and in the future like a Williams or Howard.

He's what we need in teems of height, smarts and match up problems in the future.

Happy to have him.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I would draft Sharenberg. Simple as that. Perfect fit for us in the backline and can swing forward and have a solid impact.

People have asked where Sharenberg ends up - see above. I don't care about the midfield its utterly irrelevant.

For the Bont the reverse is true. 6'6 midfielder who will need to stack on weight to match it physically with AFL players and is already bottom 10/20 percent for lead out speed per his testing if you buy into that result which I'm always 50:50 on.

I can only see him as a long leading half-forward flanker maybe or of a half-back flank.?? Maybe he becomes a KPP but that's not even what we are supposed to be drafting him for.

I hope he makes it. I just see this as a draft that will be re-ordered in 5 years and will read Boyd/Sharenberg/Billings ggaaaaaaaapppp the rest and we will want to kick someone in the goolies.

Having said that I will get behind the kid. Not his fault where he gets taken. I am unenthused by the decision for now. Confident he has a chance to add some value but that's a cruddy outcome for pick 4.

Still wish we had traded 4 to GWS for a player and pick 10 in the draft though.

ReLoad
21-11-2013, 09:12 AM
couldn't agree more with SD, Scharenburg for me is exactly what we need. We havent had a back half general since Gilbee retired.

Modern footy is all about that first kick out of half back and we really don't have anyone who nails it right now.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Was reportedly superb in the second half of the season, had a 50 possie 10 goal game in school footy

Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft

However, very young, only a year off being able to run around again in TAC cup, and he is a very tall midfielder

Wing, half back would appear to be his best starting point

It would be a bold starting point. He's not the guy I'd pick at 4 but if we had two top 10's a la Collingwood then I'd completely support one of them being spent on Bonto

1eyedog
21-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Scharenberg is a much safer option than Bontempelli and should be selected on that basis. Bomtempelli may end up a better player but we won't be disappointed with Scharenberg and their is more risk with Bontempelli.

Mofra
21-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Have heard some recruiters talk about him as potentially the 2nd best player in the draft
Yup - but some have said the same about the Berg, Aish & Billings - all under consideration for our selection.

Bonts is an interesting one - clearly behind the others on performance, but seems to be improving at a more rapid rate.

Arguably we have the most difficult selection in the top ten (although Brisbane at 7 have a fair bit to think about).

Go_Dogs
21-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I rate Bontempelli pretty highly particularly on the back of the physical package he offers.

I'm just not quite convinced on him at pick number 4 because I think there are perhaps a few small queries over where he'll end up playing his best footy as an AFL player and whether he will be someone who lacks a bit of pace and agility to play in the midfield, but isn't quite big or strong enough to play as a genuine key position player.

His kicking is good, he's a great endurance athlete and has shown he can impact games.

At his size, if he can develop into a midfielder who can rest forward he could become a very good long term player, but I just think he's a little less certain than some of the other options available to become a 200+ gamer - he could easily get there and be one of the best, but there's a little more working against him than I think there is for some of the others who should go in our range.

As far as need goes, I guess that depends how a few others develop too. There is talk of Crameri spending some time as a big bodied midfielder. Stringer has long been touted as someone who will eventually develop his game so that he spends some minutes in the middle too. Are these guys going to be enough to fill that sort of role that Bontempelli potentially could?

Again, we'll know more soon but I'm ever so slightly more sold on Aish, Billings and Scharenberg for both our need and certainty.

Greystache
21-11-2013, 10:30 AM
If it came down to Bonts or Aish I'd be inclined to go with Aish. Tall midfielders are an asset in today's game, as is kicking, and Bonts has both those assets. My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.

I've seen quite a bit of David Myers at Essendon, who was a very similar proposition when drafted, and he moves like a ruckman these days. Personally I prefer to look at what a player can do now, not project what he might become after years of trying to develop their shortcomings. The word "upside" can be a very dangerous thing.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 10:40 AM
My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.

This is also my concern with him and why I wouldn't pick him at number 4.

Sedat
21-11-2013, 10:45 AM
If it came down to Bonts or Aish I'd be inclined to go with Aish. Tall midfielders are an asset in today's game, as is kicking, and Bonts has both those assets. My concern is he has no burst speed to begin with, and after putting on the 10+kgs he'll need to compete at AFL level, there's a danger he'll be positively lumbering.

I've seen quite a bit of David Myers at Essendon, who was a very similar proposition when drafted, and he moves like a ruckman these days. Personally I prefer to look at what a player can do now, not project what he might become after years of trying to develop their shortcomings. The word "upside" can be a very dangerous thing.
Myers is a fair comparison - he was a high draft pick that crept up the order (6 from memory), he is a thumping kick and he is a big size for a mid. And despite these physical attributes, the reality is that Myers is a complete and utter potato as a footballer. Terrible decision-maker, slower than a wet week and a fumbler extraordinaire.

From what I've read on Bonts to be fair to him though, is that has much cleaner hands in tight and elite decision-making and elite handballing compared to someone like Myers - the Kouta comparison seems to be a more accurate one for him. His main issue appears to be not doing enough good things often enough in actual games and between games (a definite Kouta problem early in his career). His pace off the mark is also a concern - no amount of physical attributes will assist when you are caught with the ball or beaten to the ball in a foot race - but Kouta wasn't extremely quick off the mark either and then became a slow, contested ball-winning animal after his knee setbacks.

Dalrymple and his team live and breath these players every day and it is their job - we simply need to trust them to make the best decision for the betterment of the club. He flopped big time reaching for Howard but his subsequent reach selections early on have been very promising - Clay Smith went earlier than expected, Stringer definitely did and even Macrae moved up a few places on expectation. All these guys have shown genuine talent and justification for their high selections. If Dalrymple and co genuinely believe Bonts is the best long-term selection available at pick 4, they should pull the trigger.

LongWait
21-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Myers is a fair comparison - he was a high draft pick that crept up the order (6 from memory), he is a thumping kick and he is a big size for a mid. And despite these physical attributes, the reality is that Myers is a complete and utter potato as a footballer. Terrible decision-maker, slower than a wet week and a fumbler extraordinaire.

From what I've read on Bonts to be fair to him though, is that has much cleaner hands in tight and elite decision-making and elite handballing compared to someone like Myers - the Kouta comparison seems to be a more accurate one for him. His main issue appears to be not doing enough good things often enough in actual games and between games (a definite Kouta problem early in his career). His pace off the mark is also a concern - no amount of physical attributes will assist when you are caught with the ball or beaten to the ball in a foot race - but Kouta wasn't extremely quick off the mark either and then became a slow, contested ball-winning animal after his knee setbacks.

Dalrymple and his team live and breath these players every day and it is their job - we simply need to trust them to make the best decision for the betterment of the club. He flopped big time reaching for Howard but his subsequent reach selections early on have been very promising - Clay Smith went earlier than expected, Stringer definitely did and even Macrae moved up a few places on expectation. All these guys have shown genuine talent and justification for their high selections. If Dalrymple and co genuinely believe Bonts is the best long-term selection available at pick 4, they should pull the trigger.

Perfectly put Sedat - I wish we had a 'like' button for this post.

Greystache
21-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Good post Sedat, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Just on the highlighted part, from memory they weren't concerns on Myers' game as a junior either, but when the game moves faster than you can cope with ball handling and decision making tend to be the first things that fall away.

If we think he's the best option I'm happy to support it. Since McCartney arrived I think we've hit the mark extremely well at the draft table, despite taking some players earlier than some expected.

Doc26
21-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if we land Bontempelli with our pick 4 and happy to back Dalrymple's judgment given that this is what he is paid to deliver on. With that said, if St Kilda happen to pass on Billings I would prefer we jump on Jack. My personal preference is Billings, then Aish who would seem to be more known / consistent commodities to add much needed quality ball use and movement to our list.

stefoid
21-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Hoping that the Saints leave Billings for us - a victorian with shades of StieveJ and Wingard? Exactly what we want.

azabob
21-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Hoping that the Saints leave Billings for us - a victorian with shades of StieveJ and Wingard? Exactly what we want.

And our own Gia.

bulldogsman
21-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Personally I prefer to look at what a player can do now, not project what he might become after years of trying to develop their shortcomings. The word "upside" can be a very dangerous thing.

Agree, especially when that pick is a top 5 pick. It makes me uncomfortable picking him. The question that I keep asking myself is why hasn't he been able to perform well against the best in the country yet?

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Agree, especially when that pick is a top 5 pick. It makes me uncomfortable picking him. The question that I keep asking myself is why hasn't he been able to perform well against the best in the country yet?

That is spot on.
He hasn't performed against the best in the country.
Others have

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 04:30 PM
This is a flawed view, basing the opinion of a player/players on half a dozen games during the Championships (best in the country)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s

Going by the bests and the expected draft range, half those who performed well are likely to be late picks/rookies/miss entirely.

Dry Rot
21-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Would still get Marcus Bontempelli if Billings was available?

Seems a bit odd the way Scharenberg has fallen out of favour.

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 05:18 PM
This is a flawed view, basing the opinion of a player/players on half a dozen games during the Championships (best in the country)

Going by the bests and the expected draft range, half those who performed well are likely to be late picks/rookies/miss entirely.

Disagree, it has to be an advantage against the best under 18 best players.
How do you ascertain who to pick ?
Agree that the Champs isn't the be all, but it has to be a leg up.

bulldogsman
21-11-2013, 06:36 PM

I'm purely talking about a top 5 pick here. There's player's at our pick very close to the potential of Bontempelli and have proven they can match it with the best. Bontempelli could not manage a best in both TAC finals. It's a real worry he can't perform really well in these big games. IMO we need to go with someone a little more safer with a top 5 pick, they are like gold.

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Welcome aboard Marcus Bontempelli. You're coming to a great club and a flag won't be far away.

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome aboard Marcus Bontempelli. You're coming to a great club and a flag won't be far away.

Yes welcome to the Dogs Marcus. Highly rated so very happy to pick him up.

bulldogsman
21-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome Marcus

chef
21-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Marcus. Happy with this pick up.

Twodogs
21-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome aboard Marcus.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Righteous. I'm on the Bont-train. Lets do this Bont - get into the kennel you good dog!

comrade
21-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I feel pretty good about this.

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Good luck and hope many flags and a brownlow or two!
No pressure Kid

always right
21-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Never doubted him. He's certain to become a champion.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Welcome to The Bont!! Let's hope he gets the Bont as a nickname and not Pelican. Too many negative associations.

Happy with this pick.

whythelongface
21-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Good luck to the Bont. Happy with the selection based on what I've read and the snippets that I have seen.

Did I hear right that he had 50 possessions and kicked 10 goals in a game?

chef
21-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Did I hear right that he had 50 possessions and kicked 10 goals in a game?

Yep, school game.

Happy Days
21-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Welcome aboard, Mr Bont

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome Bonts.

I was a little nervous, but if we believe we can develop him to his potential, this could be a huge pick.

1eyedog
21-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Not overly joyed but what do I know. The best three were gone and it was a raffle.

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Probably would have been more concerned 12 months ago, but with our own side I'm more confident.

Mofra
21-11-2013, 10:00 PM
I hope he doesn't read this thread.
Welcome aboard Bonts

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Welcome Bonts!

kruder
21-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Watch the highlights on the bulldogs page of Bonts much more extensive very impressive too.

Mofra
21-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Aside from his clean hands, he seems to really kick well to a lead.
Makes the forwards look good.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:06 PM
A highlights package will always impress but he certainly looks to have some good moves, good hands, good vision and being a left footer is able to find some time that helps offset any lack of pace. I'm happy.

josie
21-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Based on photo of top 10, if Boyd is 199cm then Bontempelli looks closer to 194cm and having just turned 18 might grow a bit more. Just hope he does not loose speed once he puts on some bulk.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Based on photo of top 10, if Boyd is 199cm then Bontempelli looks closer to 194cm and having just turned 18 might grow a bit more. Just hope he does not loose speed once he puts on some bulk.

Can't lose what he doesn't have. :)

Bumper Bulldogs
21-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Like others I would have been super keen to get Scharenberg.... That make me a disappointed at using this pick on Bontempelli. For me it is almost like selection Tom Williams,

Seen as a risk with huge potential, Ah if we could just get him on the park.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Like others I would have been super keen to get Scharenberg.... That make me a disappointed at using this pick on Bontempelli. For me it is almost like selection Tom Williams,

Don't understand the comparison. Williams was an athlete who had played little football. Bonts looks like a natural footballer.

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Don't understand the comparison. Williams was an athlete who had played little football. Bonts looks like a natural footballer.

Williams correct me if Im wrong played quite a bit of Rugby League before he got into AFL.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Williams correct me if Im wrong played quite a bit of Rugby League before he got into AFL.

Rugby Union.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Union I think.

josie
21-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Can't lose what he doesn't have. :)

Ha Ha.

He reminds me of a giraffe - long legs.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Rugby Union.

His father was one of the founders of Brisbane Broncos and played for Parramatta Eels in the 70's.

comrade
21-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Bontempelli like Williams? Come on.

He's bolted up the board on the back of a very good TAC Cup year and was in EVERYONE'S top 5 - 15 rankings.

We may have reached a little, but not by much.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Unlike Tom, Marcus has played more than six games of football (and I mean before being drafted, not after).

Welcome Bonts :)

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Well happy with this selection.
Glad we did not go with Aish as he would be another player that takes years to put on weight and looks like a player that is not overly quick and potentially does not get much better.
More than likely he will go home after a few years and is probably cut from the same tree as his father and uncle who never had the conviction to leave there state to see if they could make it in the big league.
Neither of them ever got very big physically.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Lets hope he is half as good as his cousin.

The Doctor
21-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Lets hope he is half as good as his cousin.

or preferably his cousin is half as good as him

KT31
21-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the Doggies Marcus, wishing you a long and successful career with us.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Bontemptelli certainly suits our game style of a side that has an ability to win the ball but also use it and spread. We won't be the quickest side nor the most skillful, but we'll be relentless for long periods of time.

His ability to handball offensively is a huge asset at his height. Always gets his hands free so he's rarely tackled/dispossessed.

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I hope he doesn't read this thread.
Welcome aboard Bonts

Why?
I think supporters can voice an opinion on whom they like to draft.

Remi Moses
21-11-2013, 11:39 PM

Disagree , lot more highly touted than Tom.

Bulldog Revolution
21-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Has some attributes to like, he clearly is v.good at stoppages, and is great at swinging those ginormous arms free to lay the ball off

I wonder if his left foot has the potential to become elite = others who have seen more may have a more informed opinion

We did a terrific job last year developing Jackson Macrae, and if we can add similar weight to Bonto whilst keeping him moving well, and learning then I'll be delighted

mighty_west
21-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Just watching his highlights reel, SUPER excited with this selection, very happy.

KT31
21-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Just watching his highlights reel, SUPER excited with this selection, very happy.

Almost Judd like.:)

always right
22-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Seems like everyone is deemed similar to Pendlebury.....but you can definitely see Pendles-like traits in Bonts.

Ghost Dog
22-11-2013, 12:14 AM
I'll start by learning how to spell his name.
Welcome to the club Bonts! Very happy to have you.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Seems like everyone is deemed similar to Pendlebury.....but you can definitely see Apendles-like traits in Bonts.
From his highlights package, I see a little Kouta, Pendles and especially Jared Brennan. Very happy to back the club in on this selection - already looks a natural player and love the idea of selecting players who improve rapidly as their draft season progresses.

jeemak
22-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Some of his forward handball work is pretty good from his highlights.

I'm happy enough with the selection. All of the picks to me this year seemed pretty even against each other, meaning it's really up to the experts who test these guys and watch them all year to figure out the small differences they bring to the table.

Welcome Bonts, may you turn into the lovechild of Pendlebury and Kouta within your first year, and dominate under erroneous supporter expectations from your very first day at the club.

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Pretty pleased ( but then again everyone is)
Fuller looks ready made with that thumping left foot kick
Honeychurch reminds me of Dahlhaus
Bontempelli sounds a very level headed kid with a truckload of dare I say it, upside.

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Seems like everyone is deemed similar to Pendlebury.....but you can definitely see Apendles-like traits in Bonts.

Most definitely. With a touch of Brennan ( not stack )
Ballsy decision lets hope it work out

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Most definitely. With a touch of Brennan ( not stack )
Ballsy decision lets hope it work out

Bont-A-Go-Go?

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Welcome aboard Marcus, here's hoping that he can have a long career with us and become a damaging midfielder who can hurt opposition sides on the scoreboard too.

Do others think he'll get much game time in the early part of next season or will he take a little bit longer to crack a senior game?

bornadog
22-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Welcome aboard Marcus, here's hoping that he can have a long career with us and become a damaging midfielder who can hurt opposition sides on the scoreboard too.

Do others think he'll get much game time in the early part of next season or will he take a little bit longer to crack a senior game?

This quote in the HUN:
Dogs believe Bontempelli can play Round 1 if he puts on weight over the pre-season,

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Interesting, thanks BAD. I wonder if he plays off a back flank initially or if we look to throw him right in the middle. Going to be great to see how we can develop him.

bornadog
22-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Interesting, thanks BAD. I wonder if he plays off a back flank initially or if we look to throw him right in the middle. Going to be great to see how we can develop him.

I really don't know where they will play him. Maybe as a defender initially to hone up his defensive skills?? Where would you play him?

KT31
22-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Be a challenge for him to get in first round with Stringer, Macrae and now Fuller most likely will come into the side.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:26 AM
This quote in the HUN:

I was astounded at the weight/body difference in Macrae from being drafted to the pre season games last year. I actually didn't know who he was :D

Guido
22-11-2013, 10:43 AM
With those hands, that size, that tank, all coupled with his work ethic, there is no possible way he wont get to 100 games.

Know that we'd of course want more, but this idea that he might be a total bust is crap.

I admit I was a touch skeptical on picking him until I saw those hands. Those beautiful, beautiful hands.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:50 AM
With those hands, that size, that tank, all coupled with his work ethic, there is no possible way he wont get to 100 games.

Know that we'd of course want more, but this idea that he might be a total bust is crap.

I admit I was a touch skeptical on picking him until I saw those hands. Those beautiful, beautiful hands.

Take some time to compose yourself Guido :D

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:58 AM

To be fair I'm not sure any viewed him as a potential total bust, but I think a 200 game career should be the standard for a top 5 pick and high quality too. He's got a very high ceiling but maybe a tad less certain than some 'more proven' kids. But in no way is he a complete gamble at worst he should be a solid 100+ gamer but likely a lot more.

At his size though he has a real point of difference and if he comes on as we hope he may, we may be walking away with the best midfielder from the draft.

always right
22-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Think it...don't type it. You've made this thread a little awkward.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Think it...don't type it. You've made this thread a little awkward.

In 24 hours Bonts has bounced between potential whipping boy to sex symbol in the hand modelling industry.

Plently of strings to this kids' bow. WD him.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 12:10 PM
In 24 hours Bonts has bounced between potential whipping boy to sex symbol in the hand modelling industry.
Hopefully he is "master of his domain" :D

Mofra
22-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Dalrymple noted his rate of improvement as a key reason behind targetting him.
Bodes well for his "teachability" at least

Guido
22-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Take some time to compose yourself Guido :D
It's hard to. :)

Most underrated aspect of the game and IMO nowhere near enough time spent on perfecting the craft - the amount of players at the top level who fumble, or whose handballs send teammates into trouble just baffles me - that being off by half a metre/split second is game changing. You get away with it in nothing games with plenty of time and space, but unfortunately finals give you neither. On the opposite side of the spectrum it's an absolute weapon - creating space where there should have been none or giving a teammate an extra second to compose themselves is just as critical as a quality kick.

I don't care how awkward it is - until these special mouth strips get delivered, I'm going on the assumption that we could very well have the league's two most damaging players by hand lining up next to each other for the next 10 years.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Yep me too and can't wait to see Bonts and Grant on the wings matchup nightmares.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Dalrymple noted his rate of improvement as a key reason behind targetting him.
Bodes well for his "teachability" at least
This comment from Dalrymple last night re: Bonts' improvement throughout the season is particularly encouraging and references the same level of improvement in Ward and Macrae:

"His rate of improvement from the start of the year to the end of the season is something that I haven't seen in my 15 years or so of watching TAC Cup footy"

The comparisons to Howard and Williams alluded to earlier are way off the mark. This kid can clearly play the game and has shown rapid improvement at the highest level of U-18, something neither of the afore-mentioned could boast when they were drafted. Drafting is a futures market not about the now, and if Bonts can show such significant improvement as a bottom ager against his top level peers now, it is not a stretch to expect his level of improvement to continue under the structure of a professional AFL environment.

comrade
22-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't care how awkward it is - until these special mouth strips get delivered, I'm going on the assumption that we could very well have the league's two most damaging players by hand lining up next to each other for the next 10 years.

Liberatore and Bontempelli, the Italian stallions!

bornadog
22-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Good to have the wog attack back. :D

Mofra
22-11-2013, 01:02 PM
The comparisons to Howard and Williams alluded to earlier are way off the mark. This kid can clearly play the game and has shown rapid improvement at the highest level of U-18, something neither of the afore-mentioned could boast when they were drafted. Drafting is a futures market not about the now, and if Bonts can show such significant improvement as a bottom ager against his top level peers now, it is not a stretch to expect his level of improvement to continue under the structure of a professional AFL environment.
Too true - I hope we don't put any expectations on him to debut next year, considering Stringer, Macrae, Hunter & Hrovat will all push for more gametime (some of it via midfield rotation) with Prudden & Sam Darley likely to debut for us as well.

At 193cm he'll take longer.

One thing I was impressed with was his interview; he was asked his preferred position and he was quick to say midfield, and specified himself as an inside-outside type.
I saw an Everitt interview after a VFL game about his preferred position and he didn't have one. I like the idea of a player being more definate on where and how they want to play.

Maddog37
22-11-2013, 01:12 PM
He really reminds me of Freos Barlow the way he keeps his arms high when tackled. A bit more athletic than Barlow though.

EasternWest
22-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Hopefully he is "master of his domain" :D

I'm out!

We've clearly set a course on drafting kids with particular attitudes that reflect the coach's mantra.

To be honest, despite the conjecture, I'm comfortable with who and how we're drafting at the moment. There's a long term goal in mind, and building a team of like minded individuals will mean every player that steps onto the field will meet the same expectations.

On another note, looking at the pic of the top ten draftees together, there is not a playing jersey that holds a candle to ours. Returning to that design was a masterstroke.

azabob
22-11-2013, 02:44 PM

squad!

bornadog
22-11-2013, 02:48 PM
squad!

we need to add one more for a squad.

Mofra
22-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Does Hrovat count?
If we drafted one of the Kolonda-alphabet brothers, commentators would refuse to call our games

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Thinking the same thing. Add Crameri and of course Gia

bornadog
22-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Does Hrovat count?
If we drafted one of the Kolonda-alphabet brothers, commentators would refuse to call our games

yeah chuck him in there with Dahl.

stefoid
22-11-2013, 04:32 PM

For his development it would be better for him to get to the stage of dominating games in the VFL from the middle rather than run around as a half back flank in the AFL?

Can we put something to rest? Exactly how tall is he really?

Greystache
22-11-2013, 04:46 PM

At the draft camp he measured 193.9cm

jeemak
22-11-2013, 05:11 PM
For his development it would be better for him to get to the stage of dominating games in the VFL from the middle rather than run around as a half back flank in the AFL?

I don't think it really matters whether he gets to play a few games in the AFL off a flank. Any experience at the top level will be good for him as long as things are kept positive.

bulldogsman
22-11-2013, 05:37 PM
This comment from Dalrymple last night re: Bonts' improvement throughout the season is particularly encouraging and references the same level of improvement in Ward and Macrae:

"His rate of improvement from the start of the year to the end of the season is something that I haven't seen in my 15 years or so of watching TAC Cup footy"

I saw Macrae in a practice game early last year, plus one other and I thought he looks one to watch out for the rookie list. His rate of improvement is the best that I've ever seen. To say Bontempelli's is better well that's just unbelievable and it does make me feel pretty excited.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 07:19 PM
It's hard to. :)

Most underrated aspect of the game and IMO nowhere near enough time spent on perfecting the craft - the amount of players at the top level who fumble, or whose handballs send teammates into trouble just baffles me - that being off by half a metre/split second is game changing. You get away with it in nothing games with plenty of time and space, but unfortunately finals give you neither. On the opposite side of the spectrum it's an absolute weapon - creating space where there should have been none or giving a teammate an extra second to compose themselves is just as critical as a quality kick.

Think its his long accurate arms as well. I'm nominating "The Inspector"

Go go gadget arms!

stefoid
22-11-2013, 07:51 PM

basketball

stefoid
22-11-2013, 07:54 PM
At the draft camp he measured 193.9cm

But there was that hoohaa (apparently) about measurements at the camp being maybe being out by up to 2cm, and he is listed variously form 191 to 194.

Twodogs
22-11-2013, 09:25 PM

squad!

Make Mitch Wallis an honorary wog and we have ourselves a squad. Problem solved! :)

josie
23-11-2013, 01:34 AM
But there was that hoohaa (apparently) about measurements at the camp being maybe being out by up to 2cm, and he is listed variously form 191 to 194.

Hi Stefoid,

Have a look at photo in The Age with top 10 draftees. If Boyd is 199/200 then I reckon Bonti is closer to 194 than 191.

Not trying to put too many expectations on the lad when/if he does play in 2014, however I'm thinking it would be great to have a Doggies' chant going whenever he touches the ball "B-O-N-T-EEE, B-O-N-T-EEE, B-O-N-T-EEE..."

Remi Moses
23-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Just saw him up against Boyd on the GC .
He is at least 194 cm tall

jeemak
23-11-2013, 04:12 AM
I love how the word "wog" is cool or OK if it's affectionate and or nostalgic.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Yep me too and can't wait to see Bonts and Grant on the wings matchup nightmares.

You evil genius.
:p

SonofScray
23-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Looks like he could be anything from a good player, to a star for us. As would've any of the kids picked around him do. From the video package I saw he has good awareness, looks to have sharp hands and puts the ball in the right spots.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2013, 12:37 PM
It's ironic that the photo is being used to show how tall Bomtempelli is when Tom Boyd makes him and all the others look like pretzels.

LongWait
23-11-2013, 01:33 PM
It's ironic that the photo is being used to show how tall Bomtempelli is when Tom Boyd makes him and all the others look like pretzels.

I'll bet the difference is much less obvious between the two of them in about three pre-seasons time. The Bont will fill out quite a bit but Boyd will not put on too much more size - he is close to fully developed and is almost a year older than Bontempelli.

Maddog37
23-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Boyd is a massive unit!

The bulldog tragician
23-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I call myself on my blog a 'draft dodger'. I have minimal interest till names get called out, then I jump right on board and 'future captain', 'Brownlow medallist for sure', 'my new favorite player' spring instantly to mind.

I've just watched The Bont's highlight reel and interview. His composure at 17, his nice blend of confidence and humility, his go-go gadget arms...I'm sold! Looking forward to watching you at our great club and from what I've seen, you'll give it your all. Welcome Marcus.

boydogs
23-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Freeman has very broad shoulders for his height. You can tell who is built for speed and power and who is built to run all day.

The Doctor
24-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Boyd is a massive unit!

And even he doesn't make that jumper look good

Maddog37
24-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't think Jen Hawkins could make that jumper look good!

Twodogs
24-11-2013, 12:59 PM
And even he doesn't make that jumper look good

I don't think Jen Hawkins could make that jumper look good!

Doug would have.

KT31
24-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Doug would have.

Don't think so, for a season he made the Fitzroy one look pretty crap to me.

GVGjr
24-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Whats a realistic expectation on senior games for Bontempelli?

Would 6 to 8 be around the expectation?

dog town
24-11-2013, 08:08 PM
I think only a handful of games would be the most likely scenario. Gives him a taste but gives him plenty of game time in the vfl. The more meaningful minutes he plays against men at vfl level the better for him at this point. Will give him more midfield time in particular.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2013, 09:00 PM

I'd say 4-8 depending on his pre-season, how much of the work he can do etc

He's 18 today

GVGjr
24-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I'd say 4-8 depending on his pre-season, how much of the work he can do etc

He's 18 today

It probably depends on the season the club is having. If we are keeping the wins and good performances ticking over then they will be super patient with him. If we drop off towards the end of the season then he might be given an extended run at it.

10 Games is realistic

I'm so pleased we identified him as an early pick and refuted offers for that pick.

jeemak
24-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I think it will depend on the size he's able to put on through preseason, and how he copes with its rigours physically.

If he manages to put on some solid KG's and is reasonably fresh (assuming he's playing well) then he'll get his chance fairly early. If fitness and form is maintained, then I think he's a show for ten to twelve games.

There really isn't a rush with him though. Anything that could possibly hamper his physical development and ability to cope should be avoided without a second thought.

mighty_west
24-11-2013, 11:18 PM
All depends on first how he's travelling throughout the pre season and early VFL form, size wise alone there's no reason why he couldn't play senior games like MacRae did.

Twodogs
25-11-2013, 12:10 AM
All depends on first how he's travelling throughout the pre season and early VFL form, size wise alone there's no reason why he couldn't play senior games like MacRae did.

The first thing I thought was about as many as Macrae. I was surprised to see that Jack played 13 games last year though-I'd be surprised if Bont played that many games next year.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2013, 12:26 AM
The first thing I thought was about as many as Macrae. I was surprised to see that Jack played 13 games last year though-I'd be surprised if Bont played that many games next year.

The club itself said that Macrae would take the longest and wasn't likely to feature much, but he had a good pre-season and impressed instantly once the matches started.

There should be no expectation on Bontempelli. If he mirrors Macrae, that's a bonus, but a year spent applying his craft in our own VFL side's midfield will also be satisfactory.

1eyedog
25-11-2013, 09:32 AM
He's very slight, maybe a handful for the entire year? He'd get bashed up in the midfield I reckon so he'd need to play off a wing maybe where he could still use his size and pace???

1eyedog
25-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Why?
I think supporters can voice an opinion on whom they like to draft.

No, no opinions allowed clearly. I've never rat on players (I was a bit harsh on Cross once) but I'm always pretty optimistic about who we have on the list and who we choose to draft. I'm very happy with Hrovat, MaCrae, Stringer and Crameri so I'll leave it to the experts to get our picks right.

I'm sure Bontempelli won't be reading what I have to say about the selection but I pay my membership every year so I'm entitled to say I would have preferred Aish or Scharenberg -even though it was a bit of a raffle.

Throughandthrough
25-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Next season or throughout his career :o

azabob
25-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Next season or throughout his career :o

Not a fan on the choice? You would have chosen either of the SA boys over him?

Remi Moses
25-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Personally for a quicker fix the two SA boys would probably be better.
I'm more confident with the MB selection than I initially was, as I think we can nurture the kid and develop with our own VFL team. Twelve months ago I'd be worried he'd be lost at Willy, and of course it's all blue sky at this time of year .

bornadog
25-11-2013, 02:53 PM
What Macca said:

A player with enormous upside is 17-year-old Bontempelli, who as a 193cm utility could easily become one of the best pickups in this year’s draft.

“Marcus is a really exciting, very much a development player who we think will develop into a midfielder who can play in a variety of positions,” he said.

“He will be an exciting player to watch, he will do things that you don’t’ expect and he will add to our team.”

stefoid
25-11-2013, 04:10 PM
macrae played a bunch of games because he had a good endurance base and because we were shit.

bonts also has a good endurance base, but if we are in the situation where we are a chance to make the finals I doubt we will throw him a dozen games unless he is killing them back at Footscray.

Ghost Dog
25-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Why not start him off down back? He'd be really handy as a defender.

stefoid
25-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Personally Id rather seem him honing his midfield craft in the VFL than on a flank in the AFL.

Be good to head down to whiten oval and watch guys like Bonts, Prudden, Tutt, Honeychurch and Darley all plugging away in the same midfield.

always right
25-11-2013, 04:42 PM

l wonder about his ability to cover opposition forwards on the lead. Everyone says his greatest weakness is his pace off the mark. Play him in the middle or perhaps on the wing where he can run into space up and down the ground.

Mofra
25-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Personally, I'm not worried if he doesn't debut at all - he's a few days off from being a bottom-ager anyway.

I'm making the assumption that a 192-194cm player will take longer (he'll make a mockery of me now).

Ozza
25-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Being a younger player, like Hunter was last year, Bonts may well follow a similar path - where he debuts towards the second half of the season and is given a taste in a few games. It may depending on how we are positioned, and how his body holds up to his first full time footy year.

Topdog
25-11-2013, 06:14 PM
It worries me that we used pick 4 on someone we rate as a development player. Hoping that he makes us look smart in 10 years time.

GVGjr
25-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Personally, I'm not worried if he doesn't debut at all - he's a few days off from being a bottom-ager anyway.

I'm making the assumption that a 192-194cm player will take longer (he'll make a mockery of me now).

Same here

Being a younger player, like Hunter was last year, Bonts may well follow a similar path - where he debuts towards the second half of the season and is given a taste in a few games. It may depending on how we are positioned, and how his body holds up to his first full time footy year.

Excellent point. If he is ready for some senior games in the 2nd half of the season then great. We don't need to rush him

kruder
25-11-2013, 07:04 PM
The reason I'm bullish about MB is that normally development players are athletes first and footballers second. He is both IMO, just watch his natural instinct inside a pack and decision making ability around the ball it screams footballer and add that to his height and endurance we have one very exciting package on our hands.

GVGjr
25-11-2013, 07:39 PM
The reason I'm bullish about MB is that normally development players are athletes first and footballers second. He is both IMO, just watch his natural instinct inside a pack and decision making ability around the ball it screams footballer and add that to his height and endurance we have one very exciting package on our hands.

Has he displayed enough to get a big tick as an athlete? Decent spring in his legs and good endurance probably can't be disputed but his running times at the combine weren't that impressive.

His a footballer but I'd question the athlete part. He does have an upside in both.

Kade Kolodjashnij would rate as a footballer/athlete.

LostDoggy
25-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Has he displayed enough to get a big tick as an athlete? Decent spring in his legs and good endurance probably can't be disputed but his running times at the combine weren't that impressive.

His a footballer but I'd question the athlete part. He does have an upside in both.

Kade Kolodjashnij would rate as a footballer/athlete.

You don't need to be fast to be an athlete though. Really, they're all athletes today to some degree.

GVGjr
25-11-2013, 09:37 PM
You don't need to be fast to be an athlete though. Really, they're all athletes today to some degree.

You need a combination of a few physical skills though to be considered a top line athlete. He has endurance and a reasonable (not top 30%) type leaping ability but in the running he is below average.
5, 10 and 20mtrs sprints were in the botton 20%. In the agility test and the repeat sprints he was about middle of the road in the recorded times.
Compared to Kolodjashnij I can't see how we could say he is a blend of footballer meets athlete.

He has plenty of upside but we should be regarding him as a footballer not as an athlete/footballer.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-11-2013, 12:35 AM
You need a combination of a few physical skills though to be considered a top line athlete. He has endurance and a reasonable (not top 30%) type leaping ability but in the running he is below average.
5, 10 and 20mtrs sprints were in the botton 20%. In the agility test and the repeat sprints he was about middle of the road in the recorded times.
Compared to Kolodjashnij I can't see how we could say he is a blend of footballer meets athlete.

He has plenty of upside but we should be regarding him as a footballer not as an athlete/footballer.

Although I agree, his agility testing isn't a true reflection of his actual agility in a game. Definitely a footballer first.

Mantis
26-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Although I agree, his agility testing isn't a true reflection of his actual agility in a game. Definitely a footballer first.

The vision of him in action in tight situations shows he has great awareness of what is around him. When coupled with decent agility he is able to navigate his way through the play with some ease.

Being able to run around witches hats quickly is nice, knowing where players are stationed around you is better.

ledge
26-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Have a look at blokes like Williams at Carlton and our own Doug Hawkins. Both weren't super athletes but wow Doug I saw balk two players in a night game at the end if his career by taking just two steps, a natural all class footballer doesn't need too much energy or stamina when they are that classy it just happens .
Couldn't give a hoot about these draft camps, load of rubbish if the bloke has exceptional footy smarts it will beat athletes every time

Ghost Dog
26-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Easton Wood is a case in point. A super athlete, but is only now starting to make better decisions when he tries to break the lines.

mighty_west
26-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Easton Wood is a case in point. A super athlete, but is only now starting to make better decisions when he tries to break the lines.

Jesse Wells was one of the greatest of athletes for his size of all time, pity he was no good at football.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-11-2013, 01:36 PM
The vision of him in action in tight situations shows he has great awareness of what is around him. When coupled with decent agility he is able to navigate his way through the play with some ease.

Being able to run around witches hats quickly is nice, knowing where players are stationed around you is better.

Definitely, which is why there's still too much emphasis on some of the testing IMO.

Having said that, clubs have 'cooled' on picking up human gumbys in favour of footballers in recent years.

Mofra
26-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Having said that, clubs have 'cooled' on picking up human gumbys in favour of footballers in recent years.
Stringer,Hrovat, Honeychurch - we definately seem to go the "footballer first, athlete second" route harder than most other clubs.

westdog54
26-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Agree completely. The modern game revolves so much around situational awareness, if you've got that covered then you've already got a jump on the rest of the field.

Stringer,Hrovat, Honeychurch - we definately seem to go the "footballer first, athlete second" route harder than most other clubs.

At the end of the day I'd rather train a natural footballer to be athletic than try and teach a natural athlete to play football.

Ghost Dog
26-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Agree completely. The modern game revolves so much around situational awareness, if you've got that covered then you've already got a jump on the rest of the field.

At the end of the day I'd rather train a natural footballer to be athletic than try and teach a natural athlete to play football.

It's very difficult to tackle someone with long arms like that and the video shows him exploiting his size, in close. Once he develops, going to be a very flexible option for us. He can possibly pinch hit in the ruck as well.

Dazza
26-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I just hope he doesnt end up like Everitt.

w3design
26-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I just hope folks don't put too much expectation on Marcus early on, or start describing him as a spud or failed pick if he does not become an automatic best 22 player in year 1.

Yes he is supposedly a midfielder, but remember the kid is what 18 + 2 days old.
On top of that, what is he 193/4cm tall [and probably still growing]. For another player his hight [KP or third tall] we would be constantly hearing " talls just take longer to develop".

I would be pleasantly surprised if we begin to see anything like the best of Marcus in less than 3-4 years. I just have a gut feeling looking at him, that he will be still growing for a couple more years at least. Likely he will just be growing into his own body over the next 2+ years, also adjusting to his increased body mass as he spends time in the weights room.

azabob
26-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I just hope he doesnt end up like Everitt.

How is he similar to Everitt to make you say that?

Ghost Dog
26-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I just hope folks don't put too much expectation on Marcus early on, or start describing him as a spud or failed pick if he does not become an automatic best 22 player in year 1.

Yes he is supposedly a midfielder, but remember the kid is what 18 + 2 days old.
On top of that, what is he 193/4cm tall [and probably still growing]. For another player his hight [KP or third tall] we would be constantly hearing " talls just take longer to develop".

I would be pleasantly surprised if we begin to see anything like the best of Marcus in less than 3-4 years. I just have a gut feeling looking at him, that he will be still growing for a couple more years at least. Likely he will just be growing into his own body over the next 2+ years, also adjusting to his increased body mass as he spends time in the weights room.

Well said Paul. May be two or three years before we start to see him impacting on the team. Give it time.

GVGjr
26-11-2013, 07:33 PM

It's a real great trait to have as it often separates the footballer from the athlete.

stefoid
27-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Jesse Wells was one of the greatest of athletes for his size of all time, pity he was no good at football.

I bet you wouldnt say that to his face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcM6arnp-Xk

(he might eat you)

bulldogtragic
27-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Just reading all this for the first time....

To declare, I was on the Kelly bandwagon until it was clear he was going higher. I then jumped onto the Marcus bandwagon. So I'm a fan and backer.

I know how much every loves Koby Stevens. It's like this in a comparison to Stevens; Marcus is a better mark, much better kick, has much, much better hands, doesn't put his team mates under pressure, makes better decisions, is a similar pace, and will have/has better endurance.

For the talk about Everitt failure... Marcus is rated top 6 by every other club, especially Collingwood. Andreajs was only rated first round by us, sandwiched by better prospects (ie Riewoldt Jnr) hence the bad call. And fwiw, he's more Kouta than Everitt. Development and teaching will be the difference.

There are not many players with elite pace, elite hands and elite kicking. I put Marcus in the elite hands and elite kicking. While pace is not yet elite, if he's using the ball at 80% in dangerous positions setting up the play, I can live with this better than a quicker midfielder with higher turnover rates or disposal issues. And over the years we have lauded some young, fast or 'hard nuts' that don't have good DE or butcher the ball.

Reading some of this makes me think unless he wins a brownlow he's the next whipping boy. But I'm a believer that this won't eventuate.

Welcome aboard.

Mofra
28-11-2013, 10:04 AM
There are not many players with elite pace, elite hands and elite kicking. I put Marcus in the elite hands and elite kicking. While pace is not yet elite, if he's using the ball at 80% in dangerous positions setting up the play, I can live with this better than a quicker midfielder with higher turnover rates or disposal issues. And over the years we have lauded some young, fast or 'hard nuts' that don't have good DE or butcher the ball.
Definately agree on the elite hands - and his ability to keep his hands free when tackled is vital at the top level, but is his kicking really elite?

It's long - but I think he has some work to do. Given the improvement in Smith's kicking (which to be fair seems mostly based on him coming into the system with the ugliest ball drop outside of a nursing home) Marcus may well get there.

Sedat
28-11-2013, 11:22 AM
For the talk about Everitt failure... Marcus is rated top 6 by every other club, especially Collingwood. Andreajs was only rated first round by us, sandwiched by better prospects (ie Riewoldt Jnr) hence the bad call. And fwiw, he's more Kouta than Everitt. Development and teaching will be the difference.
Not quite so sure about that. My Collingwood mates are well connected with the club - so the story goes, Collingwood used the media to drive up Bonts' trade value by feigning strong interest in him at pick 6 in order for a slider (ie: Scharenberg) to come through to pick 6. Whilst I don't doubt this as plausible, I also don't doubt our recruiter's belief that Bonts is the 4th best prospect in this draft, and the player we genuinely believe has the the greatest scope for rapid improvement. Scharenberg was as much a needs-based selection for Collingwood after losing Heath Shaw as anyone, so it doesn't surprise in the slightest for this version of events to be told by them. If Collingwood had pick 4 and we had pick 6, the results may well have been the same, so in effect both clubs got precisely who they really wanted.

always right
28-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I know how much every loves Koby Stevens. It's like this in a comparison to Stevens; Marcus is a better mark, much better kick, has much, much better hands, doesn't put his team mates under pressure, makes better decisions, is a similar pace, and will have/has better endurance.

You're comparing one bloke playing against kids to another playing against elite senior AFL players. Let's see how Bonts marks, kicks, handles the ball and makes decisions under real pressure competing against big bodied opposition (not suggesting we judge him in his first year).

I think you do Stevens a disservice.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 01:20 PM
You're comparing one bloke playing against kids to another playing against elite senior AFL players. Let's see how Bonts marks, kicks, handles the ball and makes decisions under real pressure competing against big bodied opposition (not suggesting we judge him in his first year).

I think you do Stevens a disservice.
I have serious reservations on Stevens. So as a direct comparison goes, that's it. It was specific to comments I which already sounds whipping boyish. Ie, if you love Stevens so much, Marcus is a better model. On Stevens, If hospital passes and bad decision making were a stat, he would have won it 5 times over last year. I like Stevens, I have hope for him too, maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see it as a slight. I just found the initial nit picking and Everitt references lacking in taste. It's on thing to debate the decision to recruit him, that's healthy, but once his name is read out, let's fall in at the beginning at least.

As for your question Mof, I wouldn't say he is necessarily the best kick in the comp, a few back we said Howard was the best kick, so it's an individual thing I guess. I'm a little unwell right now to get the info, but on the skills test (ie hitting targets by foot etc), he got 29 targets out of 30, I think the best of the combine. I think that would have him as one of our better ball users already. But as I've said in other threads, his success like all kids will be good coaching and development in an elite environment. Assuming he works out, I think BMac can rotate Stinger, Crameri and Marcus through the ground. A coaches dream to have three highly skilled, big bodied midfielders/gun forwards. I think the game is going the way of big bodies around the ground, and all 3 are natural goal kickers too. If I'm wrong in a few years please pot me, but if BMac and the club can get the best out of Marcus, Lordy will it be one of the most flexible forward lines and mids when you consider the likes of Hunter, Hrovat, Dahl etc can rotate as the smaller quicker mids who are also gun small forwards. And Honeychurch could be anything depending on what you react and trust.

I'm unwell, but Marcus on board was a pep up for me and I might have read to much into comments, but reading some of the thread was a little flat. Any top 5 pick excites me, but I get the general consensus feeling is not as strong as it was last year for Macrae, yet their trajectory is very similar you could argue.

Greystache
28-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I have serious reservations on Stevens. So as a direct comparison goes, that's it. It was specific to comments I which already sounds whipping boyish. Ie, if you love Stevens so much, Marcus is a better model. On Stevens, If hospital passes and bad decision making were a stat, he would have won it 5 times over last year. I like Stevens, I have hope for him too, maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see it as a slight. I just found the initial nit picking and Everitt references lacking in taste. It's on thing to debate the decision to recruit him, that's healthy, but once his name is read out, let's fall in at the beginning at least.

I have big reservations on Stevens too, but let's not fall into the Kevin Shifter Sheehan trap of declaring any kid who was better than the mediocre kids a guaranteed lock at AFL level. Sam Power was considered the best kick in his draft, but at AFL level he put more players in hospital than Tony Lockett.

I hope Bontempelli becomes a star, obviously, but there's no guarantee we won't be comparing Stevens and MB in 3 years and saying we should stick with Stevens because his disposal and decision making is the better of the two.

always right
28-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Slightly off track but the recruitment of Bontempelli continues the recent trend towards us taking left footers. Coincidental or simply a reflection that a lot of left footers are good kicks?

Howard
Libba
Smith
Goodes
McCrae
Prudden
Hunter
Crameri
Fuller
Bontempelli

Happy Days
28-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I have big reservations on Stevens too, but let's not fall into the Kevin Shifter Sheehan trap of declaring any kid who was better than the mediocre kids a guaranteed lock at AFL level. Sam Power was considered the best kick in his draft, but at AFL level he put more players in hospital than Tony Lockett.

I hope Bontempelli becomes a star, obviously, but there's no guarantee we won't be comparing Stevens and MB in 3 years and saying we should stick with Stevens because his disposal and decision making is the better of the two.

I just watched the Saints game again and we should all lay off Stevens. He only just stopped qualifying for the 20 game rule!

Happy Days
28-11-2013, 02:35 PM
slightly off track but the recruitment of bontempelli continues the recent trend towards us taking left footers. Coincidental or simply a reflection that a lot of left footers are good kicks?

Howard
libba
smith
goodes
mccrae
hunter
crameri
fuller
bontempelli

OMG TOO HAWTHORN STOP COPYING GOOD TEAMS

Seriously I think it is a thing. Just imagine, a whole team of Eagletons. We would win so many semi finals!

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I just watched the Saints game again and we should all lay off Stevens. He only just stopped qualifying for the 20 game rule!
No one is laying into him,I know I'm not. But I've seen a blistering first game or so from many over the journey. Stevens played a blinder, but if you've watched him in the other games, some get concerned. My wife watches the games occasionally, if I had a dollar for every time she says things like why did he give it to someone in a worse position, why did pick the wrong target and his teammates will get annoyed if he keeps hospital passing the... I'd have about $37 on the games she's watched.

My comparison is that Kobes is loved, for all his inadequacies, yet MB is better in these categories already. Again, no one is potting Kobes, but using his one good game for us is a limited argument.

jeemak
28-11-2013, 02:51 PM
No one is laying into him,I know I'm not. But I've seen a blistering first game or so from many over the journey. Stevens played a blinder, but if you've watched him in the other games, some get concerned. My wife watches the games occasionally, if I had a dollar for every time she says things like why did he give it to someone in a worse position, why did pick the wrong target and his teammates will get annoyed if he keeps hospital passing the... I'd have about $37 on the games she's watched.

My comparison is that Kobes is loved, for all his inadequacies, yet MB is better in these categories already. Again, no one is potting Kobes, but using his one good game for us is a limited argument.

Have you travelled into the future to determine this?

Happy Days
28-11-2013, 02:52 PM

So is criticising a guy with 30 games for not fully picking up the pace of the game 100% of the time. And one good game is harsh, he has shown he has plenty to work with.

Anyway Bontempelli! I want this obsession with tall mids to die worse than anything, but I have liked what I have seen from what I have gotten my hands on. Speaks really well and has sick, sick hands in congestion; like Libba but pretty. Also apparently has the "rotate the ball in front of your face out of stoppages" down pat, which will make plenty of highlight reels.

If he's going to play such a pretty game, he needs to have a word to Stringer on how to talk more trash.

Maddog37
28-11-2013, 03:10 PM
After watching Stevens again in the Saints game I could not help but think he was not quite right fitness wise in many other games.

Sedat
28-11-2013, 03:21 PM
If only the goals were located on the wings - Sam Power would have been the most destructive player in the competition.

bornadog
28-11-2013, 03:44 PM
After watching Stevens again in the Saints game I could not help but think he was not quite right fitness wise in many other games.

His decision making ability needs to be improved dramatically.

Currently I rate Howard and Stevens as the weakest links.

Twodogs
28-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Slightly off track but the recruitment of Bontempelli continues the recent trend towards us taking left footers. Coincidental or simply a reflection that a lot of left footers are good kicks?

Howard
Libba
Smith
Goodes
McCrae
Prudden
Hunter
Crameri
Fuller
Bontempelli

I noticed that when I was watching the footage too. Us lefties just have more class.

BulldogBelle
28-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Bonts has some early attributes similar to those of TGM when about the same age.
Originally a mid-fielder, reasonable pace, tall and still growing and a good mark.

Hopefully he will develop into a new Chris Grant. Wouldn't that be nice. Oh yes. His first year will tell.

On another topic it seems as though rapid and/or spectacular development is a criteria for recruiting a player. Why is this so?

Greystache
28-11-2013, 04:36 PM
If only the goals were located on the wings - Sam Power would have been the most destructive player in the competition.

Or if they installed a cross bar Sammy would be the only player who could clear it from 20m out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Howard
Libba
Smith
Goodes
McCrae
Prudden
Hunter
Crameri
Fuller
Bontempelli

We still have a long way to go when comparing the players you have mentioned with the quality of the 9 left footers that were in the Hawthorn finals line up.

stefoid
28-11-2013, 05:00 PM
FWIW, here is Quigley's writeup - I like reading his stuff because he isn't afraid to be negative where he sees a negative.

The summary is, kicking overrated, handball underrated, and too slow to burst clear of congestion, but quick enough when he gets going to get into space around the ground.

Marcus Bontemepelli
DOB 24/11/95 Ht 194 Wt 84

Bontempelli looks like the kind of mid that all coaches are trying to bring in at the moment. Everyone is trying to add height to their midfield and he certainly offers that. He seems to be working his way up the draft boards and at the time of writing I would be surprised if he fell past the Lions at 7 and he is a real chance to be taken in at 4 if Kelly and Billings are off the board.

It has been widely reported that Bontempelli measured in at 194cm at the combine and then also reported that there was a problem with the measuring and that they could have been up to 2cm out. Working out who measured right and whose height has been inflated is an impossible task without looking at what they have measured before (information I don’t have). With that said Bontempelli is one guy who I expect to have measured a little above his actual height. It could be right though as he is definitely a tall guy and with a November birthday he could well have grown since he was last measured.

The November birthday is something that should be kept in mind when assessing him as it would be a fair assumption that he may have a bit more natural development to go than others, some of whom are almost a year older than he is. He has really developed over the latter part of the year after finishing the Champs strong. He was a little disappointing before that but now he has really reasserted himself as a top prospect and would be on everyone’s radar.

It is worth noting that he only averaged 14 disposals across his 4 games at the Champs and 16 disposals in his 9 TAC games. He played a fair bit of school football this year and when he returned to TAC action around the Champs time he finished in the best for the Knights in every game he played from there to the end of the year. His last Champs game against Vic Country was also impressive with him returning 21 disposals in a very good game for him.

One of the things which gets talked up with Bontempelli is his kicking and personally I think his effectiveness is overstated. He has a very stylish left foot kicking action but quite a few of his kicks do not go where they should. I am sure people will point to his good kicking efficiency percentage but that is bolstered by the fact that he goes long mostly and as far as I am aware anything over 35m is considered effective. He can deliver some really nice passes but fairly often his kicks are to no real advantage. Often he looks so good with his kicking that you assume that he is hitting his targets but that is not always the case. I think his decision making seems good and he takes the right options it’s just that his execution is not as good as it perhaps could be.

On the other side of the coin one feature of his game which I really rate and which is largely being overlooked is his handballing. Bontempelli is a very attacking handballer who sets up a lot of good forward movement through his use by hand. He is not super quick by hand but quick enough and he assesses situations quickly and executes his handball skills very well. He hits his targets in stride and where they need it. He is not a particularly long handballer he just gets it to the right spots.

Bontempelli will start his career probably on a flank but will move into the midfield as he develops. He has worked on his inside game and it is coming along but it is still not a strength of his game. At clearances he tends to sit off as a receiver mostly but when the ball comes to him he will put his head over it and he is reasonably effective. It is likely he will start as a fairly outside player but the potential is there to add an inside game as he develops.

In the open field he runs really nicely. He has very good endurance and good top end speed. He lacks explosiveness though and takes some time to get up to top speed. At the Combine he was in the bottom 10% over the first 5m of the 20m but was able to finish in the 50th percentile over the 30m repeat sprint. He is tall and lean and presents as a pretty big target for tacklers but he is surprisingly strong and elusive and does a good job of shrugging or making tacklers miss. When he is tackled he keeps his arms free nicely. When tackling himself he is willing enough but tends to arm tackle too much and this is something which will need attention when he hits the AFL.

The obvious comparison that I have not seen made for Bontempelli is to Brendon Goddard. Both have the same lean build, excellent height and can play at either end or through the midfield. Bontempelli is going to be drafted higher than his performances this year warrant but I do like the potential there and I can understand teams doing it. He is a tempting package.

KT31
28-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Bonts has some early attributes similar to those of TGM when about the same age.
Originally a mid-fielder, reasonable pace, tall and still growing and a good mark.

Hopefully he will develop into a new Chris Grant. Wouldn't that be nice. Oh yes. His first year will tell.

On another topic it seems as though rapid and/or spectacular development is a criteria for recruiting a player. Why is this so?

You don't develop Chris Grants, Bont's will either have it or not.
After Chris Grants first game we new we had someone special, after the first season we new we had unearthed a great.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2013, 05:33 PM
His decision making ability needs to be improved dramatically.

Currently I rate Howard and Stevens as the weakest links.

Really?

Stevens has his faults, but comparing him in line with Howard as our weakest link? That's ridiculous. I could name about 10 other "weaker" links starting with Tutt and Cordy.

People forget that Stevens is still young and hasn't played much football prior to 2013.

Greystache
28-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Really?

Stevens has his faults, but comparing him in line with Howard as our weakest link? That's ridiculous. I could name about 10 other "weaker" links starting with Tutt and Cordy.

People forget that Stevens is still young and hasn't played much football prior to 2013.

Agree totally. I've got concerns about Stevens, but I have absolutely no faith in Cordy or Howard.

Doc26
28-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Stevens does need to improve both his disposal effectiveness and decision making although he's far from alone in this particular territory for us to progress further e.g Boyd, Picken, Goodes, Wood, Smith, Howard, Tutt and dare I say it even Bob could lift here etc. Hopefully being more familiar and settled with our developing game plan might help assist this in 2014. He does bring a ferocity to the contest and does often present when required. He did at times battle valiantly with injury, possibly underconditioned, which effected his contribution. He is still young and with further development into him I'm still hopeful that he can consolidate a position within our Top 22. I don't see him as one of our 2 weakest links at the relatively early stage he is at in his development given the limited opportunities he had at the West Coast. We need also factor in the positive qualities that we have seen him bring to the list and work on addressing his specific disposal and decision making deficiencies.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Have you travelled into the future to determine this?
I said already. If I'm a teammate near one of them, I pick Marcus to be it, now, on this factor.

Again, not potting or slagging Koby, it's like comparing grain fed of grass feed beef.

always right
28-11-2013, 06:16 PM
We still have a long way to go when comparing the players you have mentioned with the quality of the 9 left footers that were in the Hawthorn finals line up.

I wasn't.

Sedat
28-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Stevens does need to improve both his disposal effectiveness and decision making although he's far from alone in this particular territory for us to progress further e.g Boyd, Picken, Goodes, Wood, Smith, Howard, Tutt and dare I say it even Bob could lift here etc. Hopefully being more familiar and settled with our developing game plan might help assist this in 2014. He does bring a ferocity to the contest and does often present when required. He did at times battle valiantly with injury, possibly underconditioned, which effected his contribution. He is still young and with further development into him I'm still hopeful that he can consolidate a position within our Top 22. I don't see him as one of our 2 weakest links at the relatively early stage he is at in his development given the limited opportunities he had at the West Coast. We need also factor in the positive qualities that we have seen him bring to the list and work on addressing his specific disposal and decision making deficiencies.
Stevens has some very positive attributes, but unfortunately clean ball-handling isn't one of them. He isn't in the Djerkurra class of fumbling but he's not great in this area, which is what invariably gets him into trouble and makes him rush his disposals/decision making. If he was cleaner with his hands, I have no doubt he would improve his disposal efficiency and decision-making accordingly.

Ghost Dog
28-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Stevens has some very positive attributes, but unfortunately clean ball-handling isn't one of them. He isn't in the Djerkurra class of fumbling but he's not great in this area, which is what invariably gets him into trouble and makes him rush his disposals/decision making. If he was cleaner with his hands, I have no doubt he would improve his disposal efficiency and decision-making accordingly.

Djekurra! I haven't thought of him in a while. Remember being part-horrified and part in stitches at the circle work he used to do in our backline.

Greystache
28-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I said already. If I'm a teammate near one of them, I pick Marcus to be it, now, on this factor.

Again, not potting or slagging Koby, it's like comparing grain fed of grass feed beef.

Personally I think a more accurate live stock analogy would be a thoroughbred with a couple of City placings and a few disappointing runs versus the off spring of a champion that's completely untested. The untested might become a star, but could also be a long way off the level required and never go anywhere.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Personally I think a more accurate live stock analogy would be a thoroughbred with a couple of City placings and a few disappointing runs versus the off spring of a champion that's completely untested. The untested might become a star, but could also be a long way off the level required and never go anywhere.
True, I was thinking food :)

What would happen if they were both at the yearling sales this year?

divvydan
28-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Video of Marcus in a goalkicking comp vs Daicos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VoEooAi__8

bornadog
28-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Really?

Ok add Cordy and Tutt

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-11-2013, 10:06 PM

There is always a risk in recruiting borderline players from other clubs. In recent years we have had far more success with rookie listed players. Stevens is simply one of a number of listed players that need to show rapid improvement, these include Wood Howard Tutt Pearce and Cordy.

lemmon
28-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I know very little about these kids but would you call him a damaging kick or a neat one? I the we have quite a few neat disposers of the footy who hit the safe option, guys like Libba, Macrae, Hrovat, Wallis, Griffen even Stringer when he works up onto the wings but no genuine laser boots through the middle. Cooney is noticeable in how good his disposal is when he gets it in open space. I would've liked KK just based on his draft video because his left foot looks a 55 metre weapon, would be great to have something like that on the wing

jeemak
28-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Completely appreciate where you're coming from. I'm just not prepared to make the types of statements you have at this point in MB's career.

I'll comment on his composure and ball handling at league level when I've seen him handle the ball and work through situations at league level.

With KS, I know handling and decision making aren't his strengths but he gets the opportunity to show me they aren't, and he allows me to balance them with the attributes of his that are.

boydogs
28-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Often he looks so good with his kicking that you assume that he is hitting his targets but that is not always the case.

That comment reminds me of Brett Goodes, but didn't he beat Daicos and ace the kicking test at the combine?

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 11:42 PM
That comment reminds me of Brett Goodes, but didn't he beat Daicos and ace the kicking test at the combine?
Yep.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Really?

Many people wrote off Jobe Watson after his first 5 years. Goes alright now - makes abit of an impact...

Not saying Koby is going to be a Watson

He could be better!

I've seen enough flashes in his games to feel he has a good chance to be a long term player if he can clean up his disposal abit. He's an absolute hard nut. Was it the Port game they kept telling him he had to stay on so he played on with a busted spleen and two broken legs...??

He gets a 2 year extension from me for whatever game that was. Utter courage.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Many people wrote off Jobe Watson after his first 5 years. Goes alright now - makes abit of an impact...

Not saying Koby is going to be a Watson

He could be better!

I've seen enough flashes in his games to feel he has a good chance to be a long term player if he can clean up his disposal abit. He's an absolute hard nut. Was it the Port game they kept telling him he had to stay on so he played on with a busted spleen and two broken legs...??

He gets a 2 year extension from me for whatever game that was. Utter courage.

Yeah he was on one leg that game but played deep forward and competed well considering. It was pretty gutsy.

I am really surprised at some of the comments re: Stevens on here. What did we expect - that he would come in and dominate? As expected (for mine), he had a couple outstanding games, a bag of good games and some pretty poor games too. He needs to improve his decision making/ball handling, but his actual disposal is OK/neat enough. The thing that Stevens brings is the ability to keep competing, he throws his body around and creates space. He also doesn't mind breaking the lines a bit, and has reasonable toe when he needs it most. I think his ability to 'gut run' will be an asset as he develops this in future years. He has it in him, and does do it, but struggles with the consistency of it week-to-week. Understandable - has battled OP and a few other injuries.

Scorlibo
29-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Stevens was a good addition this year and for those comparing him to Christian Howard, just remember that Koby was taken in the same draft as Christian and on this year's form is a long way ahead.

Koby's a classic case of having a good kicking action with no pressure but given the slightest pressure it breaks down. On top of this he can often make poor decisions.

What I really, really like about him which I think many have overlooked is that he just doesn't stop running and trying to create. So many times this year when I thought we were down on energy I could see Koby running himself into the ground with and without the ball. It didn't always come off but the net effect was very good. He has a different kind of courage in this sense - courage to take the game on, something Murph brings every week, and occasionally Dahlhaus and Griffen join him, but which is lacking more generally from our team.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Back to Bontempelli, does he have any other footy players in his family? Bloodlines?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Back to Bontempelli, does he have any other footy players in his family? Bloodlines?

Nick Dal Santo is his cousin, not sure about any others.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2014, 05:27 PM
New interview with him up on the official website.

Definitely worth checking out, he speaks extremely well, very very impressed.

whythelongface
17-06-2014, 10:38 AM
I can't believe how good this kid will be....just checked his DOB and he was born on 24.11.1995. He is only 18 years of age - he was born after Oasis released "What's the Story Morning Glory" - trying to get things into perspective but that's how young this kid is (it seems like only yesterday that this album was released).....and he plays football like that.

This kid is gonna be a star.

boydogs
17-06-2014, 02:23 PM
One of the knocks on him was whether he had a defined position or role, or was another Everitt that could play everywhere but nowhere really well. I think he is showing he is a good old fashioned centreman, a midfield marking target with good skills and a long kick to get it deep into our forward line quickly. The play that lead to our last goal of the game included a mark with Harry O'Brien coming at him where he elevated a long way off the ground to take the mark cleanly, if that was Wallis or Libba then Harry might have got a spoil in and turned it over back down the other end

bulldogtragic
17-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Just watched Bonts on 360.

Too early to say 'captain'?

What a young man and footballer!

Bulldog4life
17-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Very impressive indeed.

bornadog
17-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Wasn't it great with his parents in the studio. I hope he performs well this week after all this attention.

whythelongface
17-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Wasn't it great with his parents in the studio. I hope he performs well this week after all this attention.

Hope so as well. He seems like he is very level headed and confident but not in an arrogant sort of way. I found his interaction with Murph interesting - he had so much respect for the great man and holds him in high esteem. Bob would know doubt be a really good mentor for these young lads.

Twodogs
18-06-2014, 12:45 AM
The balance, the way he handballs, some of the little tricks-the way he can mark overhead then turn and hit the ground running and scooping the ball up without bending over. At times in the third quarter yesterday Bont looked a lot like Doug Hawkins.

Like the Hawk Bont will make good players look silly showing them the rabbit while running past them and leaving them clutching at air.

Remi Moses
18-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Very impressive kid .

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2014, 02:47 AM

It's way too early to say 'captain' and way too early to say 'coach' but that's what my intuition was telling me.

azabob
18-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I was trying to find the 3AW interview but couldn't, but came across this one.

From ABC radio straight after the win against Collingwood.

Fairly polished performer -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-15/interview-marcus-bontempelli/5525198?section=sport

azabob
18-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Found it - Well the podcast - Interview occurs around the one hour and four minute mark.

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/170614SportsToday.mp3

Webby
29-06-2014, 06:56 PM
On this, the 29th day of June, 2014:

I've seen enough! Lock him away on a 5 year deal. He could be ANYTHING!! A star at the least, a megastar at best.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Such an exciting player - I think all of Bonti/Stringer/Macrae/Hunter/Libba rise to the occasion when the game is on the line.

If we can continue drafting/trading well, then we'll be a beast of a side within a few years. The core group of young players we have are very, very good.

comrade
29-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Such an exciting player - I think all of Bonti/Stringer/Macrae/Hunter/Libba rise to the occasion when the game is on the line.

If we can continue drafting/trading well, then we'll be a beast of a side within a few years. The core group of young players we have are very, very good.

I like the core we're developing but it's time to throw the sink at that one missing piece in our forward line.

I'd really hate to see a repeat of 2008-2010 where we had such an abundance of talent across the ground but just lacked the forward structure to get over the line against the best.

bornadog
29-06-2014, 07:32 PM

and Hrovat all smart with a football brain.

Greystache
29-06-2014, 07:41 PM
With 8 rounds remaining, if he can continue with the sort of impact he's been having on games he must be a lock for the rising star award. Even if some of the judges won't have seen a game of ours for the season. His late goals get media attention which is what you need.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Have a quick little story to tell, bear with me. :-)

My little nephew (6) has grown up in a fierce Melbourne Demons household. His elder brothers and his Dad are diehard Melbourne cheer squad members and he had the Dees rammed down his throat from birth, but never really felt it. He's always harboured a secret love for the Doggies, and my mother and I finally started to convert him last year. I bought him a #4 guernsey for Christmas and this year has really been about consolidating that loyalty in the face of his dad and brothers giving him hell all year.

Yesterday he sat near the fence, and at the end of the game Jackson Macrae handed him a signed football. He was absolutely rapt, thought nothing could beat that, then in the Victory Room after the game Bontempelli's old man approached him, shook his hand and thanked him for having his son's number on his back, and just made his day. Suffice to say, he's declared his heart lies permanently with the Dogs and two acts from a player and a player's family have helped to cement that loyalty.

I'm all excited about it because it takes me back to Essendon Mazda and Steven Wallis and my old childhood meeting all the Bulldog greats, who all took time out for me — moments like this for a young fan stick with you for life — and just reinforces that what McCartney says about Bontempelli's family being just good people seems to be spot on the mark.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2014, 01:25 PM

My little nephew (6) has grown up in a fierce Melbourne Demons household. His elder brothers and his Dad are diehard Melbourne cheer squad members and he had the Dees rammed down his throat from birth, but never really felt it. He's always harboured a secret love for the Doggies, and my mother and I finally started to convert him last year. I bought him a #4 guernsey for Christmas and this year has really been about consolidating that loyalty in the face of his dad and brothers giving him hell all year.

Yesterday he sat near the fence, and at the end of the game Jackson Macrae handed him a signed football. He was absolutely rapt, thought nothing could beat that, then in the Victory Room after the game Bontempelli's old man approached him, shook his hand and thanked him for having his son's number on his back, and just made his day. Suffice to say, he's declared his heart lies permanently with the Dogs and two acts from a player and a player's family have helped to cement that loyalty.

I'm all excited about it because it takes me back to Essendon Mazda and Steven Wallis and my old childhood meeting all the Bulldog greats, who all took time out for me — moments like this for a young fan stick with you for life — and just reinforces that what McCartney says about Bontempelli's family being just good people seems to be spot on the mark.

I love it. Must be post of the year. That has set me out this week with passion and happiness. Thanks for sharing. :) :) :)

p.s. Hope you're feeling better.

p.p.s. Can someone twitter AFL360?

GVGjr
30-06-2014, 07:59 PM
BornAScragger, Terrific story and thanks for posting it.

Great judgement by the youngster.

bornadog
30-06-2014, 08:05 PM

Absolutely love it, hope we win some more games for the kids as they are the future.

LostDoggy
30-06-2014, 08:07 PM
With 8 rounds remaining, if he can continue with the sort of impact he's been having on games he must be a lock for the rising star award. Even if some of the judges won't have seen a game of ours for the season. His late goals get media attention which is what you need.

The duck gave him 3 votes on triple m from memory mainly based on his ability to win the game for his team in that last quarter. I think we (the dogs) have a real find on our hands.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Love it BAS!
It's easy to forget as we get older the impression contact with a football star can make on a young child.

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM

I love this story. The Bont is not only a gem, but his level headed polite composure are also a testament to a lovely family. He's given us two of the best moments of 2014, that emotional hug with his dad, and the amazing goal. Good work in converting your nephew BAS, I'm sure there will be no regrets.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Congratulations too to our recruiters led by Simon Dalrymple for choosing Bonti. Bonti wasn't the favoured one initially and there were also a number of Woofers initially very skeptical about this choice....personally I had no idea. So it was a brave decision by Simon. Well done.

LostDoggy
01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Bontempelli learning fast at the Bulldogs

By Jayme Markus, 1 Jul 2014

The Western Bulldogs pulled off a nail-biting victory against the Melbourne Demons thanks partly to the heroics of their hugely talented rookie midfielder Marcus Bontempelli.

The last quarter of the clash was an arm wrestle until Bontempelli, playing just his eighth senior match, took over to lead the Doggies to a 91-85 win.

Bontempelli’s first goal, a classy snap out of a pack, drew scores level at 85 apiece. However his second goal and match winner was simply remarkable.

Deep in the left pocket he harassed Melbourne’s James Frawley, knocking the ball from his hands on two occasions before picking up possession. He shrugged off three tacklers and finally snapped the ball over his shoulder, slotting through on the tightest of angles.

“There were a few guys around the pack. I was just going for a score and it was lucky enough to go through,” Bontempelli said of his goal of the year submission

The late bolter of the 2013 AFL Draft, Bontempelli was taken by the Bulldogs with their first selection and fourth overall. Some pundits questioned the selection at the time, considering players with longer and more decorated bodies of work at junior level such as James Aish and Matthew Scharenberg were still on the books.

Although early days, the selection of Bontempelli is shaping as an inspired pick by the Bulldogs due to his current form and enormous upside he possesses.

Bontempelli, the cousin of Nick Dal Santo, modelled his game on Scott Pendlebury as a junior. He is similar to both players in that he seems to have extra time with ball in hand as he navigates through tight traffic in the midfield.

Listed at 194 centimetres he is very tall for a midfielder, yet he is able to compete with smaller players, ranking third among rising stars in clearances per game and first for inside 50s.

Having spent time as half-back and forward in his junior years, Bontempelli offers Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney great flexibility to his side, which is a precious commodity in modern football.

“He’s learning probably two or three different positions at the moment,” McCartney said.

“We’re not sure if he’s going to be suited to one area of the ground yet, so part of that is learning where to stand at the stoppage and where to position himself defensively, but the raw talent is really exciting.”

The scary thing for the competition is how quickly Bontempelli is growing into his abilities. Seen as a middling prospect at the start 2013 season, his improvement was so vast and rapid that he leapfrogged many of his highly decorated peers to be a top four selection.

The Bulldogs’ recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple saw Bontempelli’s rapid rise as one of a kind.

“His rate of improvement from the start of the year to the end of the season is something that I haven’t seen in my 15 years or so of watching TAC Cup footy,” he said.

There is no doubt after his recent performances that Marcus Bontempelli is a star rising in the West. A match winner already, it’s a scary thought for opponents how good and how soon Bontempelli will be on a regular basis.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/07/01/bontempelli-learning-fast-at-the-bulldogs/

Ghost Dog
01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
We have been due a quality first round pick who delivers for some time.
Well done recruiting team. He's a very difficult match up, as Simon identified during the draft.
But most of all, well done clan Bontempelli for raising such a fine young man.

westdog54
01-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Its going to be fantastic if we can have a player of that size in the coming years that can be thrown around and adapt to whatever is needed at the time. His obvious skill set means he can play midfield, he seems to have the athleticism and sure hands to play as a lead-up forward, I wonder if he has the defensive craft/nous to go back and do a job if needed.

Either way it will be bloody exciting to watch it pan out.

azabob
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
But most of all, well done clan Bontempelli for raising such a fine young man.

Just on that GD, you should see the press conference with Marcus Bontempelli on the website from yesterday. The way he spoke and carried himself was as impressive as the goal he kicked.

lemmon
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Bonti and Macrae are going to form one of the rarest midfield combinations we have probably ever seen. Two guys at 6'3, with that beautifully classy kicking style, the ability to find space in the contest and the kind of vision to make teams hurt. Never saw Robert Flower but it's the kind of style you picture hearing stories about him.

Twodogs
01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Bont even at his age is far more robust than Robert Flower ever was. He was a great player though. More than once I have. Seen him beat us virtually single handed.

always right
01-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Flower was a skinny freak. Joy to watch.

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Flower was a skinny freak. Joy to watch.

He was brilliant to watch. He was like that elastic guy from the Fantastic Four or whoever they were the way he could move around in packs and evade oncoming players.

Remi Moses
02-07-2014, 03:45 AM
Flower's a very good comparison . Probably not as quick, but has that glide that flower had.
Flower was a terrific mark as well, and his duels with Doug were memorable .

Hotdog60
02-07-2014, 06:38 AM
I used to hate Flower, but not in a mean way but in the way he used to hurt us. Very good player.

ledge
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Can't question his defensive nous, he also went back and took a mark in defence in the last quarter

Twodogs
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Can't question his defensive nous, he also went back and took a mark in defence in the last quarter

And almost got a finger to that ball as it went through. It was close enough to be reviewed.

LostDoggy
02-07-2014, 06:10 PM
And almost got a finger to that ball as it went through. It was close enough to be reviewed.

His middle finger was bent back at at 90 degress to the rest. Appeared the ball was not completely over the line. Therefore it was a goal according to Goal Line Lotto.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Fate decreed that Marcus' efforts on the weekend would be out-Bontempellied by Nick Kyrgios last night. Both are examples of how a teenager can announce himself in a man's game and change the game by their burgeoning greatness.

LostDoggy
03-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Fate decreed that Marcus' efforts on the weekend would be out-Bontempellied by Nick Kyrgios last night. Both are examples of how a teenager can announce himself in a man's game and change the game by their burgeoning greatness.

With so much pressure and expectation currently being placed on the head of a teenager, we have to continually remind ourselves not to push them too much for risk of being unfair. After all, Kyrgios is no Bontempelli. :D

Scorlibo
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Into outright favouritism in the Rising Star - $3 with sportsbet.

Twodogs
07-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Into outright favouritism in the Rising Star - $3 with sportsbet.

What was he paying a fortnight ago?

Greystache
07-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Don't know about 2 week ago, but before the weekend he was paying $5.50

Scorlibo
07-07-2014, 05:11 PM

I think around $9 after being nominated.

Templeton31
07-07-2014, 06:48 PM
who's he up against? even if he plays every game left in the season he still will have only played 2/3 of the season. surely their is an Ollie Wines or similar from another club who's been playing every game? Aish from Brisbane was pretty good against us and seems to have played most games….

lemmon
07-07-2014, 06:49 PM
who's he up against? even if he plays every game left in the season he still will have only played 2/3 of the season. surely their is an Ollie Wines or similar from another club who's been playing every game? Aish from Brisbane was pretty good against us and seems to have played most games….

Kolodjashnij at Gold Coast has had a terrific season as well

Templeton31
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Kolodjashnij at Gold Coast has had a terrific season as well

yeh just looked. kolodjashni is 2nd favourite. aish 3rd. langdon from collingwood on 3rd line of betting too but he hasn't been that amazing.

chef
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Doesn't really matter to much that he's only played 2/3's of the season as it's not voted for week to week. It's a popularity contest.