PDA

View Full Version : Should we have Drafted another Young Ruckman

bornadog
22-11-2013, 02:57 PM
or is next year the time to start looking?

chef
22-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I think we're fine ATM. Minson, Campbell, Cordy and Roughead is plenty IMO.

bornadog
22-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I think we're fine ATM. Minson, Campbell, Cordy and Roughead is plenty IMO.

Can we really count Roughead?

My other thoughts are they take so long to develop that you have to bring them young or go for a more mature body from the VFL or equivalent.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I was surprised we didn't add a tall player but as you allude to BAD next year looks a bit more flush for taller types and we do still have a few developing.

I think we could've looked at a ruck option for the rookie list, we seem OK on the senior list with 4 blokes who can play the role.

chef
22-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Can we really count Roughead?

He would be the last option and I only used in an injury crisis.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I think we're OK for now.

Another would be nice in theory but unless there's a quality option available there's little point in picking one for the sake of it.

Cordy's year will be interesting. Let's say he does develop well as the first ruck in the VFL, that means we have Minson (2-4 years left), Campbell and Cordy. Arguably we wouldn't need to draft another ruck even next year. I suspect this is part of why we haven't yet done so.

If Cordy continues to struggle, it may mean we absolutely need to pick one next year.

Mofra
22-11-2013, 03:16 PM
If Roughy is being developed as a KPP first, pinch-hitting ruck second, I'd want another somewhere, even as a rookie.

Perhaps we simply didn't rate any of the talent on offer though.

SlimPickens
22-11-2013, 03:34 PM
We may be doing it indirectly by bringing some tall players onto our VFL list. Darcy Fort is a ruckman who we may see a future in.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 03:39 PM
we seem OK on the senior list with 4 blokes who can play the role.
I have more faith in Hrovat or Dahl playing the role than Cordy.

Reckon we are 1 short, preferably a mature rookie from VFL or state level. We need to stop thinking of Roughy as a ruckman - if we start thinking of him as a ruckman then we are short in KPD's.

WBFC4FFC
22-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Do we have a pick in the Pre-Season Draft? Maybe we'll get a Ruckman then.

KT31
22-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Next year is apparently "The Year of the Tall" , holding off this year with the rucks we already have is not going to hurt us.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-11-2013, 06:50 PM
or is next year the time to start looking?

If one of Minson or Campbell gets injured it does leave us very short for a replacement ruckman. I am yet to be convinced that Cordy is good enough.
Roughead has virtually taken over from Lake as our most reliable key defender. We lack flexibility in the ruck division because of Minson and Campbell being similar types and the decision to play Minson in the ruck for 80% of the time, means Campbell is forced to play for long periods up forward when he is better suited as a ruckman.

boydogs
22-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Any chance we could rookie Cam Wood? We're kind of OK, but if Minson, Campbell & Cordy all went down I'd rather get Wood in than have Jones, Roughead or Williams doing it

LongWait
22-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Any chance we could rookie Cam Wood? We're kind of OK, but if Minson, Campbell & Cordy all went down I'd rather get Wood in than have Jones, Roughead or Williams doing it

We don't have a rookie selection this year. We have 40 players on the main list and four rookie already. Cue is in the rack for us this draft period.

dogman
23-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Do we have a pick in the Pre-Season Draft? Maybe we'll get a Ruckman then.

No we are all done with squad. No more rookies or players in ore season draft.

Remi Moses
23-11-2013, 01:09 AM
I think they'll go tall next season( looks a beauty for talls)

Pickenitup
23-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I thought we can have 6 rookies next year pretty sure we have at least one rookie pick

GVGjr
23-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Ideally we should have selected Ben Brown who could develop nicely as a key forward and ruckman.
I also believe we should rookie list a ruckman every year. It might take a few goes at getting it right but it can be a positive for the list when it works.

chef
23-11-2013, 09:48 AM
If we've upgraded Goodes doesn't that open up another Rookie spot?

azabob
23-11-2013, 11:16 AM
If we've upgraded Goodes doesn't that open up another Rookie spot?

I think because Goodes filled our last primary list spot we can only have four rookies?

bulldogtragic
27-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes. We should have.

LostDoggy
27-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Who would we have taken, who would we have delisted, who shouldn't have been drafted in the ND?

bulldogtragic
27-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Who would we have taken, who would we have delisted, who shouldn't have been drafted in the ND?
Goodes to stay on RL.
One rookie delisted.
There were a few good rucks available at our second pick.

Mofra
27-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Goodes to stay on RL.
One rookie delisted.
I would have been happy to delist a rookie and add a ruckman to the rookie list.

bornadog
27-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Goodes to stay on RL.
One rookie delisted.

Rory Lobb would have been one we could have had.

Happy Days
27-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I would have been happy to delist a rookie and add a ruckman to the rookie list.

Yep. Not to bash they guy but how did Greenwood stay on? This seems like a need area for mine and this was an easy opportunity to provide some security.

Sedat
27-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Yep. Not to bash they guy but how did Greenwood stay on? This seems like a need area for mine and this was an easy opportunity to provide some security.
Yep, Greenwood for a 22-25yo VFL/state based ruckman would give us better balance on the overall list. Howard lucky to get another year, but I guess there was no way of confirming that Fuller was going to get to the Dogs on draft day, so I can understand the retention of Howard for another 12 months - in hindsight Howard really is now surplus to requirements in that running half-back area.

Mofra
27-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I know he's a favourite of some, but Redpath is someone who can be considered luckier IMO.

Remi Moses
27-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Redpath and Greenwood were extremely fortunate to stay on.
Seems a few VFL players were very stiff

bulldogtragic
27-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Yep, Greenwood for a 22-25yo VFL/state based ruckman would give us better balance on the overall list. Howard lucky to get another year, but I guess there was no way of confirming that Fuller was going to get to the Dogs on draft day, so I can understand the retention of Howard for another 12 months - in hindsight Howard really is now surplus to requirements in that running half-back area.
Really, really very, very strong on mid backs and mid forwards is the list.

Howard and Tutt and Greenwood and others better have a decent year.

With retirements, next year is going to be MASSIVE for JMac.

G-Mo77
27-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I know he's a favourite of some, but Redpath is someone who can be considered luckier IMO.

Very lucky, I'm genuinely shocked that he stayed on the list.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Very lucky, I'm genuinely shocked that he stayed on the list.

I tend to agree but the limited amounts I saw of him last year down back at VFL level he did show a bit and I think his physical package and obviously, what he does on the track and behind closed doors was enough to see him extended for another year.

The upshot is we obviously have a lot of faith in our ability to develop these guys and bridge the gap to make them into AFL players.

For mine, Greenwood would've been the one to make way for a ruck but I think we can survive the year with what we have.

Next year there looks like there'll be lots of taller players in the KP and ruck mould so I think we can assume our early selections next year will be based on grabbing some developing players for those roles.

bornadog
27-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Cameron Wood rookied today with Carlton.

Sedat
28-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Cameron Wood rookied today with Carlton.
Shame they didn't get a ruckman :boomtish:

Happy Days
28-11-2013, 11:17 AM

It's good that they already have 4 ruckmen better thn him but they still all suck.

chef
28-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Seems they have replaced Hampson perfectly.

Mantis
28-11-2013, 11:27 AM

I don't think he was at all helped by Willi's decision to only play a limited amount of WB listed players each week... Played well late in the season and will get every opportunity this year given we now have our own reserves team.

G-Mo77
28-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't think he was at all helped by Willi's decision to only play a limited amount of WB listed players each week... Played well late in the season and will get every opportunity this year given we now have our own reserves team.

Maybe that is one of the reasons all were retained. Last year didn't help development one bit.

Greystache
28-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Agree. It seems a lot of people have written Greenwood off, and granted this season wasn't great for him for a number of reason, but his form late in 2012 (particularly his finals series) was outstanding.

He's small and needs physical development, but he showed great ability to win the ball, composure under heavy pressure, and very clean skills on both sides of his body.

I'm still very optimistic about him as a prospect. I might be in the minority but I'm glad we kept him on for another season. Granted he needs to have a good year in 2014 to keep his place going forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Agree. It seems a lot of people have written Greenwood off, and granted this season wasn't great for him for a number of reason, but his form late in 2012 (particularly his finals series) was outstanding.

He's small and needs physical development, but he showed great ability to win the ball, composure under heavy pressure, and very clean skills on both sides of his body.

I'm still very optimistic about him as a prospect. I might be in the minority but I'm glad we kept him on for another season. Granted he needs to have a good year in 2014 to keep his place going forward.

Even if he does have a good season, I just don't see how we can fit him onto the senior list let alone in the best 22 with the abundance of inside mids in front of him, and even more so now after we've drafted Honeychurch. In theory it's a good problem to have, but on this occasion, I don't think it helps either club or player.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Even if he does have a good season, I just don't see how we can fit him onto the senior list let alone in the best 22 with the abundance of inside mids in front of him, and even more so now after we've drafted Honeychurch. In theory it's a good problem to have, but on this occasion, I don't think it helps either club or player.
Couldn't agree more on this one, I just don't see the clear logic here.

Greystache
29-11-2013, 12:51 AM

You might well be right, but as a 25 year for example, I'm not sure he'd be purely an inside mid. He needs to build power, and hopefully in turn some for speed, but I think he could play a mix of inside and out. He has neat skills and good composure, so doesn't have to be purely at the coal face. He may well turn out to be surplus to needs, but I'd prefer to build a list of good players rather than keep players like Tutt, Howard, Cordy, and Redpath just because they fill a gap. I just think bad depth is still bad.

stefoid
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM

All of a sudden we have a bunch of them

Goodes probably has another two season in him
Darley
JJ
Fuller
I could see Prudden getting a gig there with his foot skills

Ghost Dog
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
So, as it stands, most on here regret keeping Howard for another year?
Will need a stellar year to be in our best 22 now.
I wonder if Wood from the VFL was ever seriously considered? He had some very good games in the VFL.

boydogs
02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
So, as it stands, most on here regret keeping Howard for another year?

Hopefully he is the Jarrad Grant of 2014.