PDA

View Full Version : Darren Jolly - Departure from Collingwood

jeemak
28-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Talk about some sour grapes:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/darren-jolly-blasts-nathan-buckley-as-a-coward-20131127-2yagc.html

"There's so much crap that's happened in the last three months that I'm really just turned off footy to be honest," he said. "I just need to get away from it and recharge the batteries and get my head right again, because it's just been a bloody nightmare."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/darren-jolly-blasts-nathan-buckley-as-a-coward-20131127-2yagc.html#ixzz2lszAh0eP

Ageing ruck finds out he's lost relevance the hard way. Likes the old coach, doesn't like the new one.

I get a feeling the Pies are going to be better off without some of the individuals that Mick indulged during his tenure. It's OK to behave like an individual and carry on when you and the team are playing well, though to expect the same rules to apply when you're not is naive at best.

SlimPickens
28-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Just showing the glowing personality he was known for. Not sure what burning bridges will achieve.

Greystache
28-11-2013, 10:02 AM
The thing he will never understand is if he was a decent bloke he'd still be in the system. AFL footy is more sick of Darren Jolly than Darren Jolly is sick up football.

Mantis
28-11-2013, 10:15 AM
This rant is Akermanis-esque.

chef
28-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Apparently a flogger of the highest order.

G-Mo77
28-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Can we share the reasons Darren Jolly is a flog? He always seemed OK to me but I know very little about him off field.

Sedat
28-11-2013, 10:42 AM
As much as I'd love to bash the filth in general and Bucks in particular, this really does reek of bitterness and speaking before thinking. Oh, and he changed his tune rather quickly on Bucks - check out this article he penned back in May:

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coaching-carrots--and-sticking-points-20120522-1z38e.html

In particular check out the last 4 paragraphs of that article:

"I'll finish with Bucks. A legend at Collingwood as a player - ruthless, uncompromising, dedicated. All these attributes he's brought to his coaching. I'm sure he won't mind me saying that when I found out I was going to Collingwood at the end of 2009, I was holidaying with my family in Byron Bay. Bucks was there at the same time and wanted to catch up for a beer to say welcome to the club and to talk about what sort of coach Roosy was and how he went about it.

Knowing he was going to be the main man soon, he wanted to know why Roosy was so liked and respected by players, how he engaged with players, why Sydney's culture was so strong, how he led and motivated the team. We spoke for about an hour and I left thinking what an impressive guy he was. He wanted to gather as much information about how to be a successful coach. He had one of the best coaches in Mick to learn off - and did.

So far, I am seeing Bucks get a better understanding of how to lead us in the direction he wants us to go with a carrot, so to speak. Instead of whacking blokes to move, he is motivating and encouraging the team to play the way he wants us to play. He is getting a better understanding of players and the things that go through our mind. The balance between switching on and switching off.

It's a credit to Bucks how he's handled himself and the pressure since becoming the coach. It's safe to say he's had massive shoes to fill and, as a player playing for him, I believe he's certainly heading in the right direction to fill those shoes, and more."

My understanding is that he lost the support of many of his teammates when he trashed Josh Fraser in one of his columns last year. Fraser was much-loved by his former filth teammates and they apparently didn't take too kindly to the article.

Bulldog4life
28-11-2013, 10:47 AM
What a difference between him and Crossy. Chalk & cheese.

chef
28-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Can we share the reasons Darren Jolly is a flog? He always seemed OK to me but I know very little about him off field.

Heard a few things about how he treated Josh Fraser(who's very popular at the club and is a top bloke), didnt go down well with a few teammates.

Mofra
28-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Heard a few things about how he treated Josh Fraser(who's very popular at the club and is a top bloke), didnt go down well with a few teammates.
Word I heard was the complete opposite - Fraser froze him out as he saw him as competition.
Jolly & Huddo got on very well.

Ghost Dog
28-11-2013, 12:05 PM

LOL. Exactly. The last thing you do at a club is often what you are remembered for.

jeemak
28-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Word I heard was the complete opposite - Fraser froze him out as he saw him as competition.
Jolly & Huddo got on very well.

That was according to Jolly, who wrote an article stating that...................or was there other evidence to suggest that was the case?

I wonder how he and Huddo got along in the last five weeks of the season.

KT31
28-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Not the ay to handle a departure if you want to end up on a coaching list.
Seems to be a bit of a tosser, very bitter and big headed for sure.

LostDoggy
28-11-2013, 01:26 PM
What a difference between him and Crossy. Chalk & cheese.

It's not fair to compare anybody to Crossy. They'd never meet the standard.

Happy Days
28-11-2013, 01:28 PM
This is the best

Remi Moses
28-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Think Jolly has damaged his prospects of a coaching role.
The interesting part is again it's stated players don't like Buckley.
I guess on field results will show whether it's true or not.

mighty_west
28-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Funnily enough Aker was the first person I thought of when reading the article this morning, some players seem grateful for every opportunity they have been given at the top level whether it's a couple of seasons or a veteran player knowing his time is up.......then you get Jolly and Aker who do themselves more harm than good.

Aker was "supposed" to be walking into all these media gigs given his thought process and opinions, yet where is he now!!!

Sedat
28-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Funnily enough Aker was the first person I thought of when reading the article this morning
Dial-a-quote Neil Harvey was the other guy I thought of when I read this article. Apparently nothing has ever been achieved by any Australian cricket team since Neil last graced a cricket pitch.

Throughandthrough
28-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Dial-a-quote Neil Harvey was the other guy I thought of when I read this article. Apparently nothing has ever been achieved by any Australian cricket team since Neil last graced a cricket pitch.
...but they would have been if his all rounder son had been selected for Australia

Remi Moses
28-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Don't think Ian was related to Neil .
Dial a whinge Harvey