PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Markets

bulldogtragic
04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Collingwood have previously hit South Africa (pre season), Saints have hit New Zealand (H&A). Successfully, I don't know??

Giants are talking of trying to grow their brand into China, India & America. With MLB conditioning both countries about exporting elite sport, someone from the AFL will reciprocate you'd think. If it was the round before a bye, travel shouldn't be too much of a prohibitor.

Should we try and beat the Giants to the punch, or joint ticket maybe? Ie Western Sydney vs Western Melbourne, could spin it a 'Wild Western Derby', hold it in Texas? Sell a story of 'grudge match' as GWS have one of favourite sons and former assistants as head coach and the stole our best player and future captain, and it's based on rivalry and pride between the two biggest cities for bragging rights.

Would we see a return on investment if we did it? While we are likely to have a good few years and hopefully win well, this would be the time to do it as everyone loves a winner. And it's likely to get more people and ratings than whatever game we sell to some non-AFL (stronghold) part of the country.

Thoughts?

chef
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM
I really dont see the point on wasting money on overseas markets when we are an indigenous game only seriously played here.

Rather see that money pumped into the western suburbs trying to grow a strong hold.

AndrewP6
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Not worth it IMO. Focus on growing the brand here, where it matters most.

boydogs
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Thoughts?

It's not even worth selling home games to AFL supporting areas of Australia without receiving a fee for doing so, there would have to be significant money on offer from the AFL.

bulldogtragic
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
It's not even worth selling home games to AFL supporting areas of Australia without receiving a fee for doing so, there would have to be significant money on offer from the AFL.
That would be the plan.

USA or China in lieu of Cairns/Darwin/Canberra/wherever else.

Hotdog60
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
That would be the plan.

USA or China in lieu of Cairns/Darwin/Canberra/wherever else.

We would have to go USA if anything. We're Red, White and Blue the yanks will love us.

bulldogtragic
04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
We would have to go USA if anything. We're Red, White and Blue the yanks will love us.
Hadn't thought about that. I like it, with Chris Hemsworth doing our US media promo!

Twodogs
05-12-2013, 12:22 AM
I've got a slightly different take in an overseas experiment we could try. Why not try selling our 'brand' first? In my opinion our colours are our best potential international asset. Create an internet hype about the red, white and blue underdogs from down under then start selling merchandise to mugs over the net.

It would cost virtually nothing.