PDA

View Full Version : McCrae surprise growth spurt

always right
14-12-2013, 05:19 PM
On the AFL website......

Surprise growth spurt set to transform young Dog Macrae
Jacqui Reed December 14, 2013 2:10 PM

A SURPRISE growth spurt is propelling young Bulldog Jackson Macrae towards his goal of becoming an inside midfielder.

The 19-year old has grown an impressive three centimetres since his arrival at Whitten Oval just 12 months ago.

Originally listed at 188cm and 75kg, Macrae has worked hard in the gym, piling on 10 kilograms of bulk over the past year.

"I've been fortunate enough to grow a few extra centimetres," Macrae told AFL.com.au.

"I'm about up to 190-191 now. So now height, hopefully I'll stay about the same, and get a bit bigger as well.

"It's about 10 kilos now since I got drafted a year ago. I think they're looking to taper that off a bit now. I'm about 84kg now, so I'll stay around there until the start of next year, and start to work it up over the next few years."

Tall, strong midfielders have become highly sought after in recent years, after the sustained success of Fremantle's David Mundy (192cm, 91kg), Sydney Swan Josh Kennedy (188cm, 96kg), Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury (191cm, 91kg) and Essendon skipper Jobe Watson (191cm, 95kg).

Macrae's body has held up well during the steady transformation, and now he believes he has the size to match it with the best in the middle of the ground.

"I guess it was to see how my body reacts to the lifting and see how I go with soreness and stuff. It's responded really well, fortunately, and I'll just keep taking it as it comes," he said.

"I guess I'm looking to play a more of an inside role as well, and not just stay on the half-forward flank or the wing. I'm working with Kingy (Stephen King) and Joel Corey, who's recently joined us.

"I think naturally I've grown up more of an outside mid, but I think I've got the capabilities to play inside and outside as well, which will really help the club."

Macrae played 13 senior games in 2013, and coming into his second season, he's starting to show his leadership at the club.

"I think naturally just being a bit older you come out of yourself a bit more, and are a bit more vocal around the club and on the track," he said.

On a formal leadership role, Macrae said: "Not for a few years I'm guessing, but I think leadership is something we all should aspire to."

In the meantime, Macrae is busy taking the first-year players under his wing.

"I've spent quite a lot of time with (No.4 draft pick) Marcus Bontempelli," he said.

"He doesn't have his licence, and I didn't have mine this time last year, so I've been driving him around a bit and looking after him. Hopefully he becomes a really good player for the club."

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 05:24 PM
We all walk taller when Jarrad Grant crunches himself into packs. Just keep things that make me smile coming! :)

LostDoggy
14-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Score!

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Crameri.

Griff and Libba will look tiny!

Then Dahl, Hrovat and Honeychurch smaller again!

boydogs
14-12-2013, 06:06 PM
We all walk taller when Jarrad Grant crunches himself into packs.

Wrong thread?

bornadog
14-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I didn't know players grow a few cms, imgaine that.:p

I think this kid is going to be very very good for us. He was our best first year player and he will take it another level this year.

Greystache
14-12-2013, 08:02 PM
I didn't know players grow a few cms, imgaine that.:p

I think this kid is going to be very very good for us. He was our best first year player and he will take it another level this year.

It happens so rarely that when it does there's an article written about it.

Hopefully there's no negative impact on his movement and athleticism from such an unusual late growth spurt. He has certainly changed his shape from a year ago.

Remi Moses
14-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Gee, talk about the proverbial " summer in the gym".

1eyedog
14-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Crameri.

Griff and Libba will look tiny!

Then Dahl, Hrovat and Honeychurch smaller again!

Griff is 6'2 you know?

Wrong thread?

He can't help it :)

It's interesting that the article states that Macrae has a goal of inside mid, which we have a number of. I thought we were looking for a free flowing outside type with him - another part of the Macca mantra? Inside is good if it frees up Griff a bit.

bulldogtragic
14-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Griff is 6'2 you know? .

That's the attempt at humour, he's 'only' 188 m, the other boys being 191cm or over! :)

With the requisite weights program, we have one monster midfield!

KT31
15-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Gee the news keeps getting better and better, could this be the group we finally cop a break with and see's us with the ultimate prize.
God I hope so.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I wish my real estate would grow like that.
Macrae and Bontempelli could become one of the best duos in Bulldogs history. Sorry to be so speculative but they seem to go together like....ummm....no others. Lanky lefties with big chins, who have unique strategies for moving the ball and manoeuvering in traffic. Pendlebury had no predecessor but he, Macrae and Bontempelli form a vanguard.

1eyedog
15-12-2013, 11:22 AM
That's the attempt at humour, he's 'only' 188 m, the other boys being 191cm or over! :)

With the requisite weights program, we have one monster midfield!

Yeah know, remember standing next to Griff at a mad Monday in a Fitzroy pub a few years ago thinking he was a big solid unit for a mid. Now look at the size of them, Fev is 191cm.

bornadog
15-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah know, remember standing next to Griff at a mad Monday in a Fitzroy pub a few years ago thinking he was a big solid unit for a mid. Now look at the size of them, Fev is 191cm.

Ruckman were just over 190cm in the 60's. Jason Dunstall, Fev, Croft all 190cm and many more KPPs. Talls are now guys well over 195cm.

Dry Rot
15-12-2013, 05:16 PM
FWIW Young is listed at 195cm here
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team/players/senior

doggies ftw
15-12-2013, 07:14 PM
It happens so rarely that when it does there's an article written about it.

Hopefully there's no negative impact on his movement and athleticism from such an unusual late growth spurt. He has certainly changed his shape from a year ago.

Talia grew 3cms as well going from 192 to 195 which is great.

Would be nice if Stringer had a little growth spurt, you'd have to consider him playing as a permanent FF.

bornadog
15-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Talia grew 3cms as well going from 192 to 195 which is great.

Would be nice if Stringer had a little growth spurt, you'd have to consider him playing as a permanent FF.

don' t go there the mods will be on to you :D

Twodogs
16-12-2013, 12:37 AM

That's not surprising. He spent a lot of time playing at CHB last season manning up the second tall forward at centre bounces.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-12-2013, 12:14 PM
That's not surprising. He spent a lot of time playing at CHB last season manning up the second tall forward at centre bounces.

Well that gives us a lot more flexibility down back to cover several types of backlines, given that Morris can play on various sizes and used to play on Milne. Tommygun will hold down CHB all year, except for rotations, don't call me late for breakfast, but you can call me Mr Intuitive or Mr Optimistic.
Talia may struggle to break into the side on a regular basis, let alone Fletcher Roberts. We can afford selection rotations and it should be a policy as 2014 is a development year and we have a young list and it will help to prevent injuries.

1eyedog
16-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Well that gives us a lot more flexibility down back to cover several types of backlines, given that Morris can play on various sizes and used to play on Milne. Tommygun will hold down CHB all year, except for rotations, don't call me late for breakfast, but you can call me Mr Intuitive or Mr Optimistic.
Talia may struggle to break into the side on a regular basis, let alone Fletcher Roberts. We can afford selection rotations and it should be a policy as 2014 is a development year and we have a young list and it will help to prevent injuries.

I'm thinking Talia will be worth investing in moreso than Williams at this stage. Given we are at least another 2 years off top 4 pace I'm not even sure if Williams will be a better player than Talia by then, even if he manages to stay on the park.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2013, 12:35 PM
If were not developing and playing Talia, than this is exceedingly short sighted. Tommy will get some obscure injury if every season is any indication.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah but Tom hasn't played his best football yet, he's still in development mode. His reach on the spoil is unique and he's a better kick than Talia, and better defensively. Talia is good at rebounding and is a better natural footballer but he's not ready to take CHB off Tom and may never be. He's more likely to take over Morris' spot or on the flank.

Happy Days
16-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah but Tom hasn't played his best football yet, he's still in development mode. His reach on the spoil is unique and he's a better kick than Talia, and better defensively. Talia is good at rebounding and is a better natural footballer but he's not ready to take CHB off Tom and may never be. He's more likely to take over Morris' spot or on the flank.

Tom Williams is 28 in July and his ability to spoil is negated by his inability to keep his shoulders in their sockets when doing so. His best game as a defender was keeping Buddy to 5 goals 6 years ago.

I have next to no faith in Tom's body ever allowing him to live up to his original potential, or even any faith in his current level of ability. You don't come back from this many injuries as if they never happened.

Scorlibo
16-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Tom Williams is 28 in July and his ability to spoil is negated by his inability to keep his shoulders in their sockets when doing so. His best game as a defender was keeping Buddy to 5 goals 6 years ago.

I have next to no faith in Tom's body ever allowing him to live up to his original potential, or even any faith in his current level of ability. You don't come back from this many injuries as if they never happened.

I'm in the Tom Williams camp. I think he still has a lot to offer us if he stays on the park. Talia has some big deficiencies in his game and I hope he can work on ironing them out in the coming season.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-12-2013, 03:30 PM

OK go ahead and disillusion me. I hope Tom plays some great games next year but Happy Days, you're the doctor, so as of now I'm winding down my hopes for what he can give the club.

Happy Days
16-12-2013, 03:36 PM
OK go ahead and disillusion me. I hope Tom plays some great games next year but Happy Days, you're the doctor, so as of now I'm winding down my hopes for what he can give the club.

Wow man.

doggies ftw
16-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Think you guys are being a bit harsh on Talia, yes in a perfect world we have Williams holding down CHB for a few more years but lets be honest, that more than likely wont happen due to injuries. Besides his kicking I honestly cant see another weakness in Talias game and he is your perfect CHB and will hold the spot down for the next 10 years.

soupman
16-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I like them both but I think Talia is the priority. Williams, like Higgins, is a bonus player.

I think Talia's defensive side of his game is very good for his age. His positioning is good, he competes well and he has the attributes to play on a variety of opponents. He has also shown an ability to rack up a lot of touches and despite his awkward kicking style he tends to pick the right option most of the time which negates this deficiency.

The issue for Williams for me beyond his injuries is that as a CHB he makes a better CHF. His kicking is good but he doesn't get a lot of it, and I don't think his defensive work is anything amazing. I like him but I think Talia is a safer bet and should really be looking to play every game next year.

LostDoggy
16-12-2013, 03:46 PM
How's that Macrae fella eh?

bornadog
16-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Is he still growing:D

BornInDroopSt'54
16-12-2013, 05:01 PM

I think Macrae has had his last growth spurt, can't see him getting beyond 191cm at least before the season starts.

JohnGentStand
16-12-2013, 10:32 PM
He could still grow a little more as a person before round one. He is currently listed at 73 in persona.

GVGjr
16-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm in the Tom Williams camp. I think he still has a lot to offer us if he stays on the park. Talia has some big deficiencies in his game and I hope he can work on ironing them out in the coming season.

I haven't written Tom off either. if we can get 18 games out of him we will be a better side.

LostDoggy
17-12-2013, 09:07 AM
I haven't written Tom off either. if we can get 18 games out of him we will be a better side.

Perhaps Tom is due for a growth spurt too. Hopefully in the shoulders.