PDA

View Full Version : Dogs best 22

Bulldog Revolution
17-12-2013, 10:38 PM
From the backline: Scott Gullan takes a look at how the Western Bulldogs could line up next year
SCOTT GULLAN HERALD SUN DECEMBER 16, 2013 6:30PM

HERALD Sun football experts go deep inside each AFL club to predict how each team's best line up could look next year.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

IN

Marcus Bontempelli (Northern Knights), 18, midfielder

Stewart Crameri (Essendon), 25, forward

Mitch Honeychurch (Eastern Ranges), 18, small forward

Sam Darley (GWS), 20, defender

Matthew Fuller (Norwood), 23, defender

SEE WHICH NUMBERS THE NEW PUPS GOT

OUT

Dylan Addison (delisted, picked up by GWS)

Daniel Cross (delisted, picked up by Melbourne)

Nick Lower (delisted)

Lukas Markovic (delisted)

Patrick Veszpremi (delisted)

HOW WILL THE BULLDOGS PLAY?

The Brendan McCartney way started to shine through in the second half of 2013.

His ethos from day one has been for his team to be hard to play against and that was evident as the young Dogs started to show an appetite for hard, contested football, which is what the coach loves.

Tom Liberatore proved he was elite and his development, along with Mitch Wallis, means there is a plethora of in-and-under types, making the development of young guns Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter and first-round draft pick Marcus Bontempelli crucial next season for some outside class.

The recruitment of Stewart Crameri is also significant because the missing link in the Dogs' structure has been another legitimate forward option.

While he is certainly not the messiah - anything around 50 goals will be a great result - his presence will relieve the pressure on Liam Jones, Jake Stringer and Ayce Cordy.

READY TO FLY

The word out of Whitten Oval is that Lachie Hunter is the one who is ready to go up a level.

The son of former defender Mark played nine games in his debut season and showed glimpses of class.

He has his intentions clear early in the pre-season by being at the front end of the running group as he tries to build an engine to handle the rigours of top level football week-to-week AFL.

The teenager has a great footy brain that sets him apart from the pack. Big watch.

BULLDOGS' BEST 22

B: Dale Morris, 30, 173 games, Jordan Roughead, 23, 57 games, Easton Wood, 24, 47 games

HB: Robert Murphy, 31, 249 games, Michael Talia, 20, 13 games , Jason Johannisen, 21, 16 games

C: Jack Macrae, 19, 13 games, Ryan Griffen, 27, 183 games, Adam Cooney, 28, 201 games

HF: Jarrad Grant, 24, 58 games, Stewart Crameri, 25, 57 games, Lachie Hunter, 19, 9 games

F: Luke Dahlhaus, 21, 50 games, Liam Jones, 22, 56 games, Jake Stringer 19, 10 games

R : Will Minson, 28, 158 games, Matthew Boyd, 31, 220 games, Tom Liberatore, 21, 55 games

INT: Mitch Wallis, 21, 43 games, Shaun Higgins, 25, 109 games, Koby Stevens, 22, 19 games, Daniel Giansiracusa, 31, 250 games

FROM THE BACKLINE: ESSENDON

COACHES

Brendan McCartney

Shannon Grant (forward coach)

Steven King (midfield coach)

Rohan Smith (backline coach)

Brett Montgomery (strategy coach)

Chris Maple (VFL coach)

THE TOP DRAFT PICK

Will the Dogs' top draft pick Marcus Bontempelli, selected No. 4 overall, get a taste of AFL in 2014? Watch exclusive highlights of the Scott Pendlebury-type midfielder below.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/from-the-backline-scott-gullan-takes-a-look-at-how-the-western-bulldogs-could-line-up-next-year/story-fnia6qqt-1226784364368

divvydan
17-12-2013, 10:51 PM
I was looking over it today as well, a couple of things sprung to mind.

1. Under this system Morris would have to play tall as Young isn't in the "best 22"
2. No Picken is a big surprise given he played 20 games last year.
3. Minson would have to ruck almost the entire game. Given Campbell's finish to 2013, he makes a strong case to be included over Stringer/Hunter.
4. No Goodes is surprising, although we are going to have to leave someone out of Wood, Goodes and Johannisen if they all plan on playing that med/small def role with rebounding capabilities.
5. Our depth is slowly starting to improve which is a good thing as you really need around 30 players each season.

LostDoggy
18-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Saw Herald Sun and was cautious, then saw another young draftee likened to Pendlebury and all credibility has flown out the window.

Mofra
18-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Saw Herald Sun and was cautious, then saw another young draftee likened to Pendlebury and all credibility has flown out the window.
Yep - a couple of years ago 90% of kids played like Stephen Hill (sometimes rebounds), now 90% play like Scott Pendlebury (not always rushed with the ball).

I'm guessing in two years any kid who remotely has a decent sidestep will be compared to the player with the best side-step in the AFL (Jackson Macrae ;))

BornInDroopSt'54
18-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Yep - a couple of years ago 90% of kids played like Stephen Hill (sometimes rebounds), now 90% play like Scott Pendlebury (not always rushed with the ball).

I'm guessing in two years any kid who remotely has a decent sidestep will be compared to the player with the best side-step in the AFL (Jackson Macrae ;))

Yes but in Macrae's and Bontempellli's cases, they are also tall lefties and would not be midfielders in any other era. Call it a historical imperative. Come the time, come the Bulldog Bontempellli.

Twodogs
18-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Historical Imperative, I like it.

LostDoggy
18-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I was looking over it today as well, a couple of things sprung to mind.

1. Under this system Morris would have to play tall as Young isn't in the "best 22"
2. No Picken is a big surprise given he played 20 games last year.
3. Minson would have to ruck almost the entire game. Given Campbell's finish to 2013, he makes a strong case to be included over Stringer/Hunter.
4. No Goodes is surprising, although we are going to have to leave someone out of Wood, Goodes and Johannisen if they all plan on playing that med/small def role with rebounding capabilities.
5. Our depth is slowly starting to improve which is a good thing as you really need around 30 players each season.

6. How is Higgins in our best 22

Mofra
19-12-2013, 10:06 AM
6. How is Higgins in our best 22
On talent, a fit Higgins is easily in our best 22 - he's one of our best finishers in a side that is below par on footskills.

Mantis
19-12-2013, 12:19 PM

I would have thought that Will would have rucked about 85% of the game in 2013, even when Campbell was in the team.

Campbell will be dueling with Jones for the tall forward/ ruck spot in 2014.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I would have thought that Will would have rucked about 85% of the game in 2013, even when Campbell was in the team.

Campbell will be dueling with Jones for the tall forward/ ruck spot in 2014.

Jones isn't a ruckman but purely a forward. Campbell is a ruckman forced to play as a key forward. I would think the time is fast approaching for Minson and Campbell to share the ruck duties to allow the team to develop two key forwards.

Mantis
19-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Jones isn't a ruckman but purely a forward. Campbell is a ruckman forced to play as a key forward. I would think the time is fast approaching for Minson and Campbell to share the ruck duties to allow the team to develop two key forwards.

If this happens where do Campbell or Minson spend their time if they aren't in the ruck?

w3design
19-12-2013, 04:40 PM
if this happens where do campbell or minson spend their time if they aren't in the ruck?

f p :):):):)

Bulldog Revolution
19-12-2013, 10:05 PM
My issues were:

I saw Dickson ahead of Stringer

Goodes or Young likely ahead of Wood - not that I hate Wood just that Goodes and Young have shown more ability to influence games at this stage

And like others have stated I guess its Jones, Campbell or Cordy for the key forward backup ruck spot

They're pumping up Hunter - could he really be a starting 22 player from the get go in 2014?

Hard to imagine Picken not getting a game, but they've got to find the right role for him

LostDoggy
23-12-2013, 07:45 PM
On talent, a fit Higgins is easily in our best 22 - he's one of our best finishers in a side that is below par on footskills.

Cant see where he would play or replace as he has little forward pressure and down back we have Murph ,JJ as the link up playmaker.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Higgins talent is rarely on display due to him being injury prone. I would think that players like Dahl Hunter Hrovat and JJ will go past Higgins in 2014, whose lack of leg speed is a concern.

jeemak
23-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Higgins talent is rarely on display due to him being injury prone. I would think that players like Dahl Hunter Hrovat and JJ will go past Higgins in 2014, whose lack of leg speed is a concern.

It's such a big if, isn't it.

I place him easily being best 22 in any team in the league with full fitness. Even though he's battled harder than most give him credit for when playing with injury, there always seems to be a serious one following niggles associated with set backs.

Some folk just have a body that struggles with the rigors of league footy. Poor old Shaun is one of them.