PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs defender Jordan Roughead is growing in stature and ready to compete

Greystache
02-02-2014, 02:43 PM
INSPIRED by one of this generation's great key defenders, Jordan Roughead has vowed to further boost his competitiveness in order to better curtail the best of the AFL's power forwards.

Fresh from his first full season as a defender and a year that saw him play 22 games for the first time, Roughead says he is finally starting to feel as if he belongs at senior level.

But the 23-year-old jokingly suggests he is still drawing on the experiences gained as a defender for the Lake Wendouree under 13.5s in what was, before last year, the only time he had played a full season in defence.

Roughead led the competition for one percenters _ which include spoils, smothers, shepherds and knock-ons _ in the 2013 home and away season.

But with Geelong champion turned Bulldogs defensive development coach Matthew Scarlett watching over him, Roughead is fast learning how important it is to be a "competitive beast" in order to succeed.

"You've got to have that every time the ball is in your area," Roughead said yesterday.

"Scarlo was one of the best at that. He always jokes that he wasn't the fittest bloke out there, but he just hated being beaten.

"I don't like being beat, but I know I've got some improvement to make in that area.

"That's what I'm trying to take off him, as well as the obvious positional stuff when you're out on the ground. He's great at giving insight about where to stand when the ball's more than a kick away and then when it's only a kick away and whatnot."

Roughead said the continuity of last season has given him more self-belief than ever before.

"I think just being out there on a more regular basis makes you feel as if you belong," he said.

"Having the senior guys that we have around you fills you with a bit of confidence as well, guys like Dale Morris and Robert Murphy are fantastic and really help me out."

Roughead said watching his cousin Jarryd and former teammate Brian Lake win last year's premiership for Hawthorn serves as extra motivation to help the Bulldogs back towards the top of the table.

"But we know that there are another 17 teams out there that want the same thing," he said.

"And while we finished last season with a bit of momentum we know that there's a lot of improvement that we need to go through to compete with the best teams."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-defender-jordan-roughead-is-growing-in-stature-and-ready-to-compete-against-power-forwards/story-fndv8weh-1226815665352

GVGjr
02-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Gee he has taken on this challenge in the best way possible. If he does become a competitive beast we will be a far better side because of it.

bulldogtragic
02-02-2014, 03:04 PM
I smiled reading the article, Scarlo says you've got to hate being beaten. Next sentence Jordan says he doesn't like being beaten. You've got to HATE it Jordan, weren't you listening! :)

azabob
02-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I smiled reading the article, Scarlo says you've got to hate being beaten. Next sentence Jordan says he doesn't like being beaten. You've got to HATE it Jordan, weren't you listening! :)

But he was listening, as the next sentence after that was - I know i've got some improvement in that area.

bulldogtragic
02-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Touché. I hope he finds the inner hatred required to succeed.

Greystache
02-02-2014, 04:21 PM
It's been am amazing year or so for Jordan. He must scratch his head at times and wonder how did he go from a fringe 2nd ruck/forward to a leader playing arguably the most important position on the ground. He's unrecognisable from 2 years ago.

lemmon
02-02-2014, 08:47 PM
It's been am amazing year or so for Jordan. He must scratch his head at times and wonder how did he go from a fringe 2nd ruck/forward to a leader playing arguably the most important position on the ground. He's unrecognisable from 2 years ago.

Its a good call and he still looks to have so much growth and potential left in him. Genuinely exciting proposition

Bulldog Revolution
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Its a credit to everyone, but particularly Roughie the way he's sung his teeth into playing full back

His best footy is going to be super over the next eight-ten years

doggies ftw
02-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Its a good call and he still looks to have so much growth and potential left in him. Genuinely exciting proposition

Yeah thats whats really exciting for me, how much improvement he looks to have in him. Only just turned 23 and is just about to really start hitting his good years, in a new position and at his size I'm just so excited by what he can become. Could put his name up this year as one of the better up and coming key defenders in the league IMO.

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 01:12 AM
It's not just his playying ability that I'm excited about. He also has great potential as a leader. On the track he's a pretty loud voice and whenever they break into lines or groups for drills Jordan is the guy who organises the other guys.

I was in the rooms before the last game last year and the younger guys all seem to take their lead from him and running ideas past him. They gravitate to him. It's a funny sight with Hrovat, Dalhaus, Hunter and a couple of others gathered around Roughead talking.they looked like kids. Well they are kids I guess.

bornadog
03-02-2014, 10:31 AM
It's not just his playying ability that I'm excited about. He also has great potential as a leader. On the track he's a pretty loud voice and whenever they break into lines or groups for drills Jordan is the guy who organises the other guys.

I was in the rooms before the last game last year and the younger guys all seem to take their lead from him and running ideas past him. They gravitate to him. It's a funny sight with Hrovat, Dalhaus, Hunter and a couple of others gathered around Roughead talking.they looked like kids. Well they are kids I guess.

Trivia question:

Who was the last Fullback to be captain.

LostDoggy
03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
It has to be said that the coach pulled a good one here. I doubt whether anybody saw Roughead as a full-back.

LostDoggy
03-02-2014, 11:02 AM
He became so reliable and consistent last year. I recall watching games and whenever a high ball come into our defence and Roughy was in the area I just felt safe..

Axe Man
03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I initially had some doubts about Roughy at full back being too tall and slow, but with the up and coming key forwards of the competition getting bigger and bigger, for example:
Boyd 201
Daniher 201
Patton 197
Hogan 195
It may well be an inspired choice by the coaching staff. The days of a Dale Morris sized full back being able to compete with these monster full forwards is probably over.

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Trivia question:

Who was the last Fullback to be captain.

You want me to say Rick Kennedy but this must be a trick question!

I initially had some doubts about Roughy at full back being too tall and slow, but with the up and coming key forwards of the competition getting bigger and bigger, for example:
Boyd 201
Daniher 201
Patton 197
Hogan 195
It may well be an inspired choice by the coaching staff. The days of a Dale Morris sized full back being able to compete with these monster full forwards is probably over.

It's great to know that we will have someone capable of playing on those guys.

bornadog
03-02-2014, 01:10 PM
The days of a Dale Morris sized full back being able to compete with these monster full forwards is probably over.

Those days were over in the 90's

You want me to say Rick Kennedy but this must be a trick question!

No not a trick. One of my favourites, old Rick.

Axe Man
03-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Those days were over in the 90's

Not really. I would say that 3 of the better key defenders of the last 10 years would be Scarlett, Rutten and Glass - all 192cm. Morris at 190cm has also played a fair portion of his career as a key defender.

It just seems that these emerging 200ish centimetre forwards are going to be too big for a low 190cm defender. Of course there are always exceptions and great players like Scarlett and Morris will always be able to compete against the bigger guys.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Gee he has taken on this challenge in the best way possible. If he does become a competitive beast we will be a far better side because of it.

Macca had a high opinion of Roughead as a future leader even before moving him to FB. He has now emerged as our most consistent at overhead marking and now commands enormous respect down back.