PDA

View Full Version : Dermot says by round 12 Bulldogs will have the most powerful midfield in comp

bornadog
10-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Big statement............., I am excited with our midfield, I think we are building a great midfield with lots of options in the future.

Go_Dogs
10-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Big statement............., I am excited with our midfield, I think we are building a great midfield with lots of options in the future.

Stats illustrate we were the best contested and clearance side, but it appears we're working towards a better balance.

Hope Dermi is right.

Twodogs
10-03-2014, 01:29 AM
From here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/superfooty-experts-gaze-into-their-crystal-balls-and-make-their-predictions-for-the-2014-afl-season/story-fni5f22o-1226849610701

Scroll down to Dermott's predictions

bulldogtragic
10-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Sorry, but why by round 12?

Edit: Thanks TD.

Mantis
10-03-2014, 05:23 AM

Our midfield is still quite reliant on Cooney and Griffen for its pace.. These guys need some help.

GVGjr
10-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Our midfield is still quite reliant on Cooney and Griffen for its pace.. These guys need some help.

Agreed, we need guys like Hrovat and Dahlhaus being able to spend some time in the middle and adding a bit more spark to what Griffen and Cooney already provide us with.

always right
10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm staggered that Brereton was able to express his opinion is just 21 words.

LostDoggy
10-03-2014, 10:43 AM

:D he is kissing the little guy after all.

Mantis
10-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Agreed, we need guys like Hrovat and Dahlhaus being able to spend some time in the middle and adding a bit more spark to what Griffen and Cooney already provide us with.

Dahlhaus is the one who needs to start spending more and more time in the midfield.

GVGjr
10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Dahlhaus is the one who needs to start spending more and more time in the midfield.

I suppose if we can free him up to play in the middle then Hunter has to step up as a spark up forward

Mantis
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I suppose if we can free him up to play in the middle then Hunter has to step up as a spark up forward

Not just Hunter, we need more from the likes of Dickson & Hrovat and we require Gia to play seem decent footy too.

Also adding Crameri to the mix should free up Grant to play as the 3rd or 4th forward when he returns, which is role in which he should prosper.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I suppose if we can free him up to play in the middle then Hunter has to step up as spark up forward

With Hrovat and Hunter looking good, plus Honeychurch impressing so far, you would hope we can cover the forward pocket/flank role Dahl has previously provided.

GVGjr
10-03-2014, 12:12 PM
With Hrovat and Hunter looking good, plus Honeychurch impressing so far, you would hope we can cover the forward pocket/flank role Dahl has previously provided.

We certainly have some options. Moving Dahlhaus into a midfield role is hopefully something we will give an extended try.

1eyedog
10-03-2014, 12:20 PM
We certainly have some options. Moving Dahlhaus into a midfield role is hopefully something we will give an extended try.

I hope we also see Wood move into this role. I think we may see him given stints in the midfield where he can use his strength and explosiveness off the mark. Unfortunately when he plays well we look good down back and with Murph aging, Young having an indifferent start to the year and Goodes generally up and down week to week we may not have that luxury.

We have the nucleus of a strong midfield but it is a trifle one-paced.

GVGjr
10-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I hope we also see Wood move into this role. I think we may see him given stints in the midfield where he can use his strength and explosiveness off the mark. Unfortunately when he plays well we look good down back and with Murph aging, Young having an indifferent start to the year and Goodes generally up and down week to week we may not have that luxury.

We have the nucleus of a strong midfield but it is a trifle one-paced.

You have a bit more faith in Wood than I do. His best is good but he is far from consistent. He just doesn't get enough of the ball for me to consider him in a midfield role especially with his kicking skills.

I used to think his leap might find him a role up forward but I now don't have him in our best 22.

1eyedog
10-03-2014, 12:38 PM
You have a bit more faith in Wood than I do. His best is good but he is far from consistent. He just doesn't get enough of the ball for me to consider him in a midfield role especially with his kicking skills.

I used to think his leap might find him a role up forward but I now don't him in our best 22.

It's true I do.

While in many ways he is a poor mans Koby Stevens (if played there) I think he needs to be released from the purely defensive role as he struggles to understand the balance between attack and defence. While this balance also obviously applies to the midfield I think an attacking role in the midfield will suit his capabilities more than a defending one down back. You are right though, he is on the outer of the best 22 and I would like to see an attempt to salvage him in a midfield role. I would ultimately like him to play an Andrew Embley type role off a wing with a midfield rotation. It would be a shame to get to the end of the year and move him on with zero currency. I think we need to try a few things first. If he can't play back and he can't play forward then there is no other option. To me Macca likes Wood as much as he likes anyone and he will be tried in a few spots before being delisted / traded for instance.

1eyedog
10-03-2014, 05:12 PM
...it's funny that two years ago many of us were sweating on Wood going to GWS and now (through no fault of his own) he is not in a lot of supporters best 22. For mine it is still no clearer who should be played in the back half out of Young, Goodes or Wood.

w3design
10-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Ha, that is what editors/sub editors are for.

Re Woody, I have never been convinced defence is his spot. As 1eye suggested we need more pace to add to our midfield variety, which is why I am keen to see Wood given some time running off the wings.
I think Tom Young offers more down back than Wood does, he may not be as quick, but he gets hold of the ball more often, and is a better kick.
We might lose some of the backline pace Wood provides, and we still need to find someone to fill that [ and I hate this Americanism but] running quarter-back role that Bubba Smith, then Murph have provided over recent years. Sadly Murph won't be around for ever.
The worrying aspect here is that this seems to be best suited to an experienced player , rather than a kid. I know they are trying Missy down there, but he is not exactly lightning quick. In fact ...

LostDoggy
10-03-2014, 08:56 PM
If you read all the predictions in the article both Jon Ralph and Sam Landsberger Brownlow MEDAL: Tom Liberatore (WB)

bulldogtragic
10-03-2014, 08:58 PM
If you read all the predictions in the article both JON RALPH and SAM LANDSBERGER BROWNLOW MEDAL: Tom Liberatore (WB)

I don't generally gamble nowadays, but if the odds are halfway decent I will seriously consider a flutter on Tom.

GVGjr
10-03-2014, 09:16 PM
I think this sort of speculation on the quality of our midfield to be premature at best.
It's a good midfield and one that should get better but so much hinges on Griffen backing up an outstanding season and Cooney getting back to somewhere near his best.
On top of that we need Liberatore and Wallis to have great seasons as well plus Dahlhaus, Boyd and Stevens to be right on their game.
All possible I suppose but in a team that still looking to develop younger players something normally has to give.

Ghost Dog
10-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Our midfield will need to kick more than their share of goals if we are to make up for our lack of forward firepower.

boydogs
10-03-2014, 10:58 PM
It's a big call with Fremantle, Sydney, GWS & GC around. I think we can match the top end talent with Griffen & Libba but not sure we bat as deep just yet.

Greystache
10-03-2014, 11:09 PM
It's a big call with Fremantle, Sydney, GWS & GC around. I think we can match the top end talent with Griffen & Libba but not sure we bat as deep just yet.

If Cooney gets back to near his best, which looks a decent chance, that will help. But he must be counting on McCrae having a break out year, Hunter being able to take over from Dahlhaus, and then Dahlhaus being just as effective through the midfield, Boyd playing consistently well, Stevens coming on etc. It's not out of the realms of possibility, but he'll need a lot to go right.

His prediction btw was he expects by round 12 to see signs the Bulldogs midfield will be the next powerhouse of the AFL. Not quite what the headline of the thread says.

boydogs
11-03-2014, 12:04 AM
If Cooney gets back to near his best, which looks a decent chance, that will help. But he must be counting on McCrae having a break out year, Hunter being able to take over from Dahlhaus, and then Dahlhaus being just as effective through the midfield, Boyd playing consistently well, Stevens coming on etc. It's not out of the realms of possibility, but he'll need a lot to go right.

I think it would take me more than 12 weeks of exposed form to say Macrae is the next Hill, Wallis is the next Crowley and Dahlhaus is the next Pearce, assuming Griff, Libba and Cooney are Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow

Remi Moses
11-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Big call from Dermie.
I'd say 18 months time our midfield will be very strong.
Needs more games and a few more summers in the gym.
Think he's written hawthorn off to get them going.
Reverse physcology if ever I've heard

westdog54
11-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Ok, we're all getting a bit excited here, but Dermie has been paraphrased slightly.

The exact line is:

You will see the first signs that the young Bulldogs midfield brigade will be the next powerhouse midfield of the competition

Bit different to 'having the most powerful midfield in the comp', but still a fairly big call nonetheless.

Its interesting you say that, I seem to recall very early on in his tenure, Macca addressed a members function and compared Dahlhaus' statistical output to Gary Ablett Jrs at the same stage in his career.

I also seem to recall that GAJr was at about the same stage in his career as Dahlhaus is now when he got his kick up the pants speech from teammates during a 'Leading Teams' session, telling him that he needed to spend more time in the midfield.

We all know where it ended with Gaz, I wonder what may become of young Luke if he gets the same sort of speech from the coach?

Maddog37
11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Dal is a great kid but GAJ is possibly the best ever. Chalk and cheese.

Cooney, Boyd, Griff, Libba are all guns. Hunter, Stevens, Dal, Macrae, Wallis could all be guns. Then there is Stringer, Jong, Prudden and Bonts that are still unknowns. That's 13 mids. Good numbers and differing qualities in player type. Lots to like.

Edit. Clay Smith and The Rat are handy too!!

westdog54
11-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Dal is a great kid but GAJ is possibly the best ever. Chalk and cheese.

Cooney, Boyd, Griff, Libba are all guns. Hunter, Stevens, Dal, Macrae, Wallis could all be guns. Then there is Stringer, Jong, Prudden and Bonts that are still unknowns. That's 13 mids. Good numbers and differing qualities in player type. Lots to like.

Edit. Clay Smith and The Rat are handy too!!

I should qualify that I'm not suggesting Luke will be as good as GAJr but there is so much upside to him that he's capable of just about anything.

Maddog37
11-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I think he lacks foot skills and that will limit his midfield impact. I also acknowledge that he has proven people wrong time and again.

azabob
11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I think it would take me more than 12 weeks of exposed form to say Macrae is the next Hill, Wallis is the next Crowley and Dahlhaus is the next Pearce, assuming Griff, Libba and Cooney are Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow

Not sure you are using the right team or players to make your point. I wouldn't willing swap our blokes you have listed for their blokes you have listed - Fyfe the exception, but not for Griffen or Liberatore.

azabob
11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
His prediction btw was he expects by round 12 to see signs the Bulldogs midfield will be the next powerhouse of the AFL. Not quite what the headline of the thread says.

Correct - BAD would be a good newspaper editor!

1eyedog
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Not sure you are using the right team or players to make your point. I wouldn't willing swap our blokes you have listed for their blokes you have listed - Fyfe the exception, but not for Griffen or Liberatore.

Of course not neither would I at this stage of their careers but there is no doubt to me that Crawley is currently a better player than Wallis, ditto for Hill. Personally I think Dahl is a better player than Pearce but that's just me. I read the post as who is a better player now rather than which player would I prefer in my team.

boydogs
12-03-2014, 02:19 AM

You've got the blinkers on ;)

Personally I think Dahl is a better player than Pearce but that's just me.

As a mid though.

Remi Moses
12-03-2014, 05:04 AM
As West Dog rightly pointed out he did state the "First signs"
Put it this way if I was picking a team to play in a final I'd pick Luke.

Mantis
12-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Put it this way if I was picking a team to play in a final I'd pick Luke.

Going on Luke's performances in finals?

Mofra
12-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Swan, Pendlebury, Beams... if Ball plays out of his skin or another inside mid puts their hand at the Pies they would surely have the best midfield in the AFL - and on potential GCS look scary.

1eyedog
12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
You've got the blinkers on ;)

As a mid though.

Good question. My answer is yes due to Luke's upside (I think he will play a lot of midfield this year) and also because I don't rate Pearce that highly. He just goes missing way too much and for someone with a beautiful left foot he sure can shank them. But you're right, Luke is largely untested in the middle.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Player
K (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=0#t2)
HB (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=1#t2)
D (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=2#t2)
M (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=3#t2)
G (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=4#t2)
B (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=5#t2)
T (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=6#t2)
HO (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=7#t2)
I50 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=20#t2)
FF (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=8#t2)
FA (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=9#t2)
AF (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=13#t2)
SC (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=5863&sby=14#t2)

Thomas Liberatore (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--thomas-liberatore)

Luke Dahlhaus (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--luke-dahlhaus)

Jackson Macrae (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--jackson-macrae)

Ryan Griffen (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--ryan-griffen)

Marcus Bontempelli (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 04:19 PM
So we don't need Cooney or Boyd? :)

140 touches from 5 skilled fellas, no wonder we won!

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:25 PM
So we don't need Cooney or Boyd? :)

140 touches from 5 skilled fellas, no wonder we won!

Add them in and wow.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Add them in and wow.

That a bit mean, how will Smith get any contested footy?

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:31 PM
That a bit mean, how will Smith get any contested footy?

In two years time Boyd and Cooney won't be there.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 04:45 PM
In two years time Boyd and Cooney won't be there.

So you finish both up next year?

Twodogs
16-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Ten tackles from Tom. T.E.N. ten

He's a machine..

westdog54
16-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Hunter, Honeychurch, Stringer all simmering away at Footscray, Smith to return. A relentless machine in the making.

wimberga
16-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Love seeing the booming 8 inside 50's from big Bonti.

EIGHT.

if we are talking about getting the ball in nice and quick, his booming left foot knows how to do it

bornadog
16-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Love seeing the booming 8 inside 50's from big Bonti.

EIGHT.

if we are talking about getting the ball in nice and quick, his booming left foot knows how to do it

What about the great pass to Tutt to seal the match.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2014, 06:56 PM

Showed great poise didn't it. Crameri made a good lead to open up the space Tutt ran into.

Hrovat was another Whois great at lowering the eyes going forward. These guys are going to improve our efficiency - and based on the number of I50's we've been getting, if we keep moving the ball quickly we can hope to again become a high scoring team.

azabob
16-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Showed great poise didn't it. Crameri made a good lead to open up the space Tutt ran into.

Hrovat was another Whois great at lowering the eyes going forward. These guys are going to improve our efficiency - and based on the number of I50's we've been getting, if we keep moving the ball quickly we can hope to again become a high scoring team.

Almost as good as Tutts goal ;)

After the match Gia was interviewed and he commented that he thought Bonti should have kept the ball moving, to Crameri. But when he stopped and passed to Tutt - Gia basically said well if he is calm enough and have the ability to see the space further up the field he can do what he wants!

G-Mo77
16-06-2014, 09:02 PM

I was screaming at the TV to pass it to Crameri. :o

I noticed a lot on Sunday that our players were looking further than the closest option. Our spread and spacing was a hell of a lot better and the game just opened up. I wish I was there to see it unfold rather than on a TV screen.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I was screaming at the TV to pass it to Crameri. :o

I noticed a lot on Sunday that our players were looking further than the closest option. Our spread and spacing was a hell of a lot better and the game just opened up. I wish I was there to see it unfold rather than on a TV screen.

Yep, it was noticeable - very good to see. Just having players moving creates that space for others to work into - and I'm increasing confident of our young guys - Macrae, Bonti and Hrovat particularly - that they'll be able to have the poise and vision to execute those kind of kicks.

bornadog
16-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Almost as good as Tutts goal ;)

After the match Gia was interviewed and he commented that he thought Bonti should have kept the ball moving, to Crameri. But when he stopped and passed to Tutt - Gia basically said well if he is calm enough and have the ability to see the space further up the field he can do what he wants!

If you see the reply, Tutt ran about 60 metres and pointing towards the pocket and Bonti steadied and passed it to him. It was a brilliant run and both players cool under pressure when the game was in the balance. If they stuffed it up the ball could have gone back all the way to the other end.

azabob
16-06-2014, 11:15 PM
If you see the reply, Tutt ran about 60 metres and pointing towards the pocket and Bonti steadied and passed it to him. It was a brilliant run and both players cool under pressure when the game was in the balance. If they stuffed it up the ball could have gone back all the way to the other end.

You are right, nice observation. I thought the same thing watching it back a couple of mins to go, if Tutt misses, Collingwood had control of the footy again.

Clutch play by both players.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 11:49 PM
You are right, nice observation. I thought the same thing watching it back a couple of mins to go, if Tutt misses, Collingwood had control of the footy again.

Clutch play by both players.

And let's not forget rock solid Easton Wood at half back. Kept his feet, gathered and hit the target. One of the good news stories of the year is Woody's emergence.

azabob
17-06-2014, 07:17 AM
And let's not forget rock solid Easton Wood at half back. Kept his feet, gathered and hit the target. One of the good news stories of the year is Woody's emergence.

Yep. That last passage of play for the goal gets better and better!

LostDoggy
17-06-2014, 09:25 AM
I wanted Tutt kick it back to a free player so we could take another 30 seconds off the clock! Because if he missed it could have been a diaster. I had no faith!

azabob
17-06-2014, 09:36 AM
I wanted Tutt kick it back to a free player so we could take another 30 seconds off the clock! Because if he missed it could have been a diaster. I had no faith!

Seriously? Tutt is a best set shot for goal - by a long way.

Clearly you have not been watching him this year when he has a set shot.

LostDoggy
17-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Clearly I have..

Was saying it more tongue in cheek. I was thinking about the worst possible outcome when he was lining up.

azabob
17-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Clearly I have..

Was saying it more tongue in cheek. I was thinking about the worst possible outcome when he was lining up.

Sorry mate!

bornadog
17-06-2014, 10:20 AM

It was a tough shot from an angle, but if anyone could kick a straight drop punt then Tutt is the man.

Jam Donuts
17-06-2014, 01:04 PM
It was a tough shot from an angle, but if anyone could kick a straight drop punt then Tutt is the man.

It was a great shot at goal with the pressure added, he is good at the set shots and he is starting to show a bit as well.

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:34 PM
BUMP - How have we faired.

The midfield is really developing along beautifully with Libba the clearance King, Bonti a rising star, Macrae the ball accumulator, Wallis until injured the lock down man and Captain Griffen an A Grader. Dahl has been very good this year, slowly transitioning into the midfield and in the future Hrovat and Hunter will work their way to the middle. Stringer of course is also another potential midfielder.

I think we still need another A grader with some power and speed and the ability to spread quickly.

Murphy'sLore
21-08-2014, 02:43 PM
If only Cooney's knees had been a bit tougher...

bornadog
21-08-2014, 02:49 PM
If only Cooney's knees had been a bit tougher...

yes so sad for him and the team.

whythelongface
21-08-2014, 02:50 PM
BUMP - How have we faired.

The midfield is really developing along beautifully with Libba the clearance King, Bonti a rising star, Macrae the ball accumulator, Wallis until injured the lock down man and Captain Griffen an A Grader. Dahl has been very good this year, slowly transitioning into the midfield and in the future Hrovat and Hunter will work their way to the middle. Stringer of course is also another potential midfielder.

I think we still need another A grader with some power and speed and the ability to spread quickly.

It is certainly our strong point. There is still a way to go but the signs are defintiely there. There have been a number of games this year where we have not been able to get our hands on the pill, certainly as far as centre clearances are concerned. Thus we are definitely a work in progress, however by mid 2016 I would say we will have the best midfield combo in the comp.

Now we just need to continue to develop our back and forward lines to complement our midfield. We will then be one gun team.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Dermot was on the money.

The beauty part is with the exception of one player, all of those players you just mentioned have around a decade of football left.

bornadog
21-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Dermot was on the money.

The beauty part is with the exception of one player, all of those players you just mentioned have around a decade of football left.

and we still have Clay Smith to come back.

westdog54
21-08-2014, 03:19 PM
and we still have Clay Smith to come back.

And are yet to see what Prudden has to offer at top level.

I actually got an email from a bloke I used to work with. After answering my question he offered up "Hows those Bulldogs? Future looks quite good for you".

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I actually got an email from a bloke I used to work with. After answering my question he offered up "Hows those Bulldogs? Future looks quite good for you".

I'm getting this alot also. Sometimes supporters can overrate young players on their respective teams, because they see more of them, whether it's VFL or AFL footy.

But hearing positive thoughts from other supporters so frequently about our future is very easy to listen too and just reinforces the future really is looking bright.

LostDoggy
21-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Griffen, Libba, Macrae, Bont, Dahl, Wallis, Smith, Stringer, the Rat (and others).... Its not Brisbane of Geelongs fab 4, it's the Dogs fab 9. Hopefully Campbell & Cordy can complement them and offer us first use of the footy.

KT31
22-08-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm getting this alot also. Sometimes supporters can overrate young players on their respective teams, because they see more of them, whether it's VFL or AFL footy.

But hearing positive thoughts from other supporters so frequently about our future is very easy to listen too and just reinforces the future really is looking bright.
I have got this quite a bit myself, it's one thing for us to acknowledge our youth but when other teams supporters and the press start to sit up and take notice we must be onto a good thing.
IMO next season will be the test, if our kids continue to improve as they have and we draft well again, in a year or two we may finally make the elusive day in September we have all been pining for.

bornadog
28-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Bevo has taken our midfield to a new level. Midfield rotations are something not matched by other clubs. We have been rotating something like ten players plus through the middle and the highest percentage of time spent there is Lachie Hunter at 65.3% of game time. Most teams only rotate a few players and they spend around 80% plus time.

More explained in this (http://www.foxsports.com.au/fantasy/news-clues-the-huge-impact-turnovers-and-contested-ball-are-having-on-fantasy/news-story/b476a8cfa1fb3660810b6b2163bb7a6a) video from FoxFooty

Dermie got it right, but called it early.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2016, 05:35 PM
I have got this quite a bit myself, it's one thing for us to acknowledge our youth but when other teams supporters and the press start to sit up and take notice we must be onto a good thing.
IMO next season will be the test, if our kids continue to improve as they have and we draft well again, in a year or two we may finally make the elusive day in September we have all been pining for.

Sydney look good, Hawthorn of course, and GWS are coming. North are hard to beat, as are Adelaide, and interstate Eagles are a challenge. We will have to be good to knock off these teams.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Bevo has taken our midfield to a new level. Midfield rotations are something not matched by other clubs. We have been rotating something like ten players plus through the middle and the highest percentage of time spent there is Lachie Hunter at 65.3% of game time. Most teams only rotate a few players and they spend around 80% plus time.

More explained in this (http://www.foxsports.com.au/fantasy/news-clues-the-huge-impact-turnovers-and-contested-ball-are-having-on-fantasy/news-story/b476a8cfa1fb3660810b6b2163bb7a6a) video from FoxFooty

Dermie got it right, but called it early.

It's what Hawthorn were doing last year to great success. But the strategy only works with versatile, inside and outside, highly skilled, highly contested and manic pressuring players. Plus they need the ability to play half back and up forward. We've now got that in spades and others to develop such as Webb learning the inside game at VFL level. Other teams and footy shows can explain what we are doing, but you can't stop us using the strategy which is the beauty of it. If we can get games into Clay Smith & Dunkley (Crameri next year) this talent pool will be bigger and stronger again.

It also makes the opposition consider match ups. Do you have several players follow Bonts, Dahl and others around? Or do you have your players line up in position and take whomever is in the square or the forward line? Do you keep a zone going? If you follow players around their chasing our match ups, if they don't, they leave themselves exposed to a mismatch which a quick clearance can result in scores. We have a very forward thinking coach now who between this and zoning defence is really setting the trends with other top sides in evolving the game. Makes for great watching too.

bornadog
21-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Midfield have been very good over the past three weeks.

Six players that have averaged 30 disposals or more over the last three matches...

Jackson Macrae - 109
Lachie Hunter - 109
Josh Dunkley - 95
Marcus Bontempelli - 94
Caleb Daniel - 92
Jason Johannisen - 90

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Midfield have been very good over the past three weeks.

Six players that have averaged 30 disposals or more over the last three matches...

Jackson Macrae - 109
Lachie Hunter - 109
Josh Dunkley - 95
Marcus Bontempelli - 94
Caleb Daniel - 92
Jason Johannisen - 90

With those sort of numbers you'd think we'd be winning games with ease.....

Go_Dogs
21-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Gee, this was from 2014 - the last 4 years have gone fast...

If we can get a consistent output from the players BAD mentioned it'll go a long way to making us one of the better midfields, particularly when you throw in Libba, McLean.

FrediKanoute
21-08-2018, 09:10 PM
The problem is not the midfield numbers the guys are getting, its the breakdown when we go forward. At one point in the 2nd quarter on the weekend we had gone inside 50 26 times for 3 goals. The Blues had gone in 11 times for 3 goals.

Our forward set up is too static, which allows the opposition to zone effectively and chop out attacks. Majak Daw's 1st half v North the week before was a classic example. We need to fix the forward set up and the work rate of the forwards.