PDA

View Full Version : Clay back on the track

bornadog
17-03-2014, 05:08 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/264263-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Clay Smith of the Bulldogs in action during the AFL Round 16 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Hawthorn Hawks at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne. (Photo: Sean Garnsworthy/AFL Media)

It hasn't taken long for Clay Smith to be known as a fiercely competitive It hasn't taken long for Clay Smith to be known as a fiercely competitive individual, and his first game back from a knee reconstruction reaffirmed that reputation.

In his first outing since July last year, Smith didn’t look out of place, in fact he was one of the better players on the field in the Club’s intra-club match last Thursday.
Smith’s patience was tested in the early stages of his rehabilitation, but the rugged midfielder stayed on course, thanks to his steely determination and Club support staff.

“The first probably three to five months was pretty long, but I’ve pretty much gone through with no hiccups,” Smith said.
“The physios and the support staff in rehab have been amazing, so they have gotten me back.

“That was the [first] hitout in about seven and a half, close to eight months – so it was before eight months which is really good.
Smith looked sharp in the modified intraclub hitout and said the injury was out of mind once he took to the field.

“I haven’t been conscious of it for ages, I just wanted to play footy and they let me go out there, they [medical staff] said take it easy for a little bit – but [the knee] felt sweet and I just wanted to go,” he said.
“I feel fit. I feel good.“

Link: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-03-17/clay-back-on-the-track

bornadog
17-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Anyone that attended the intraclub would have been pleased to see him running pretty freely. Will be great to see him force his way back into the best 22.

bulldogtragic
17-03-2014, 05:12 PM
As previously mentioned, Clay is my bolter for the year. Great news.

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 05:39 PM
He's a bit like a goal kicking Daniel Cross isn't he, really like him. He'll be bugging the hell out of the coaching staff over the next month.

Greystache
17-03-2014, 05:55 PM
He's a bit like a goal kicking Daniel Cross isn't he, really like him. He'll be bugging the hell out of the coaching staff over the next month.

It's a pretty good comparison. Not as strong overhead, but has an aggressive streak Cross didn't, and like you said is surprisingly dangerous around goals.

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 06:10 PM
It's a pretty good comparison. Not as strong overhead, but has an aggressive streak Cross didn't, and like you said is surprisingly dangerous around goals.

Yes and I think commitment levels would be about the same.

ratsmac
17-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Clay is a beast and I can't wait to see him playing senior footy again. Looks like I wont be waiting too long.

LostDoggy
17-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Take your time Clay, come back at your best and safely. This guy will get us over the line in a final one day.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm a fan, screams the type to stand up in big finals.

Having said that, I wonder how we'll fit in all these mids? It's a good problem to have on paper, but in 12 months time one of Hrovat/Bonts/Clay/Stevens will probably play more VFL than AFL, and yet I really rate all of them. Hopefully we find a way to fit them all in.

I guess that's where flexibility is a must and all of those above have it.

doggies ftw
17-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I agree don't rush him for the sake of it, but he sounds pretty fit and I reckon he might just turn it on early in the VFL and force us to pick him. Pretty excited about his year.

doggies ftw
17-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Having said that, I wonder how we'll fit in all these mids? It's a good problem to have on paper, but in 12 months time one of Hrovat/Bonts/Clay/Stevens will probably play more VFL than AFL, and yet I really rate all of them. Hopefully we find a way to fit them all in.

I reckon we can figure something out, they will have to push the older guys out but Boyd, Murph and Gia aren't going to be around for too much longer, although I hope and think Murph will play next year and way too much to happen before you could make a call for the year after. And while Boyd probably has another year in him I really just think that if our younger guys step up again in the middle then he might find himself in the position Cross did, unless he can reinvent himself which is quite possible, maybe he could work as a forward.

soupman
17-03-2014, 09:26 PM
We are probably looking at having 3 tall defenders, 1-2 pure defenders, 1 ruck and at least 2 tall forwards with one playing backup ruck, leaving 14 spots for midfielders with many rotating through the forward line and one or two playing predominately half back.

You would imagine the group of mids would include Wallis, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Smith, Griffen, Cooney, Liberatore, Hrovat, Stevens and Hunter with Higgins, Tutt, Honeychurch, Prudden, Darley, Greenwood and Jong all contending to fit into that frame. Crameri and Stringer will also be maybes as part of the midfield rotation.

So that's a core group of 11 plus one of Crameri and Stringer and maybe Higgins if they don't fall under the defender or forward category. Leaves room for 1-2 more additions plus depth.

*This is for 2016 onwards btw.

Greystache
17-03-2014, 09:38 PM

It's a valid concern. I guess that's where Clay's ability around goal could serve both him and us well.

doggies ftw
17-03-2014, 10:11 PM
It's a valid concern. I guess that's where Clay's ability around goal could serve both him and us well.
I've been pretty impressed with Koby Stevens' forward work too, good hands on the lead and usually slots his goals. Anyone else reckon Bontempelli could maybe play CHF? He's got the height, big tank, great skills, a good mark and knows how to find the goals. And also agile and really good on the ground, reckon he could maybe play the lead up CHF role (with stints in the midfield)with Jones and/or Campbell deeper.

Hrovat I'm not too sure about his forward craft yet but they are trying to develop it, and he will be bloody good in the middle anyway, reckon he could be pretty handy on a wing even early this season.

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 10:25 PM
We are probably looking at having 3 tall defenders, 1-2 pure defenders, 1 ruck and at least 2 tall forwards with one playing backup ruck, leaving 14 spots for midfielders with many rotating through the forward line and one or two playing predominately half back.

You would imagine the group of mids would include Wallis, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Smith, Griffen, Cooney, Liberatore, Hrovat, Stevens and Hunter with Higgins, Tutt, Honeychurch, Prudden, Darley, Greenwood and Jong all contending to fit into that frame. Crameri and Stringer will also be maybes as part of the midfield rotation.

So that's a core group of 11 plus one of Crameri and Stringer and maybe Higgins if they don't fall under the defender or forward category. Leaves room for 1-2 more additions plus depth.

*This is for 2016 onwards btw.

Pierce has done some nice things in a couple of the practice matches. He's been on the list a while now. He could be a bit of a smokey this year.

soupman
17-03-2014, 10:36 PM
I had Pearce as someone who won't rotate through the middle, so would take one of the pure defenders spots, like Wood and Fuller. I do rate him.

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Where have you got Darley?

soupman
17-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Darley is someone who could spend some time on the wing and higher up the field. Based on my limited knowledge of him he is someone who could provide more natural run and be a good receiver than Pearce who appears more solid defensively.

I see Pearce as hopefully being a better version of Picken in defence. Someone who can annoy the hell out of a small forward but is less of a liability coming out of defence and is capable of backing himself in with the footy.

westdog54
18-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Its only in the game he got injured against Essendon when I really got a chance to sit and watch him closely. I said at the time he is just such a smart footballer, can just do little action here or there, whether its a hand on the ball at the right time, or a quick shimmy to avoid a tackle, that buys him the one or two seconds he needs to win a contest, and his decision making appears extraordinarly sound for a player of his age.

I'll second Marcov's call. He'll win us a final one day.

I can picture it in my head. 30 seconds to go, we're 4 points down. Ball is bombed deep into our 50, spills from the pack, Clay wins a solid 1-on-1 with an opponent, wins the ball and in the one movement handballs to an open Jarrad Grant who snaps a miracle goal from the boundary line.

I haven't overthought that, have I?

wimberga
18-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Given that Clay played the intraclub match, is it safe to assume he is up for senior selection as soon as match fit?

Are we predicting a round 3-4 return?

soupman
18-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I know I have heard BMac mention in the past that he is glad his kicking style is so awkward, otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick. The rest of his game is top shelf.

Ozza
18-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Given that Clay played the intraclub match, is it safe to assume he is up for senior selection as soon as match fit?

Are we predicting a round 3-4 return?

I think Round 3-4 is about right. Although Clay looked very comfortable in the intraclub...I would guess he would be 'managed' along a little bit until everyone is 100% convinced he is ready for senior footy.

Mofra
18-03-2014, 10:11 AM
B-Mac always seemed to play a "tough contested forward" in the front six which meant we were ahead of the league average in scoring from stoppages (hence DFA forward, I suspect Stringer will also help in this regard).

Clay plays liek an inside mid with goal sense yet his tank was pretty good pre-injury, he has quite a few strings to his bow although his ball drop when drafted is still possibly the ugliest I've ever seen.

Twodogs
18-03-2014, 10:34 AM
although his ball drop when drafted is still possibly the ugliest I've ever seen.

That's a pretty simple fault to fix though in the overall scheme of things.

Twodogs
18-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I think Round 3-4 is about right. Although Clay looked very comfortable in the intraclub...I would guess he would be 'managed' along a little bit until everyone is 100% convinced he is ready for senior footy.

Didn't you just wince though every time he tackled an opponent? There was one in particular in the second quarter where Clay pulled someone down from behind and ended up on his back with his opponent on top of him. Then he pinioned him with his legs so that he had him in a full body clamp.

1eyedog
18-03-2014, 10:43 AM
That's a pretty simple fault to fix though in the overall scheme of things.

I think it's actually pretty difficult to change. Once an ugly ball dropper always an ugly ball dropper. Nick Riewoldt has been struggling with this problem his whole career. While Riewoldt is slightly different in that he releases the ball too high (and slightly both hands off too early) he has never been able to change it. Michael Johnson is another from Freo who has an awkward ball drop and his field kicking often suffers because of it. There have been many others in the past, even full forwards like Capper.

Happy Days
18-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I think it's actually pretty difficult to change. Once an ugly ball dropper always an ugly ball dropper. Nick Riewoldt has been struggling with this problem his whole career. While Riewoldt is slightly different in that he releases the ball too high (and slightly both hands off too early) he has never been able to change it. Michael Johnson is another from Freo who has an awkward ball drop and his field kicking often suffers because of it. There have been many others in the past, even full forwards like Capper.

The GOD Ablett II has a pretty ugly ball drop too, although no ones going to argue that it affects his kicking adversely; him and the above examples prove its not a death knell.

Clay's strengths more than marginalise this "supposed" weakness, and honestly, as long as he doesn't try to push too far beyond his limitations (see: Boyd, M), I don't think it'll be an issue. I'm more concerned with Talia's kicking anyway.

Maddog37
18-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Interesting turn of phrase; ugly ball dropper!

Greystache
18-03-2014, 01:16 PM
The GOD Ablett II has a pretty ugly ball drop too, although no ones going to argue that it affects his kicking adversely; him and the above examples prove its not a death knell.

Ablett's ball drop is a bit unique, but he manages to drop the ball very straight and extremely closely to his foot. Clay's problem is he's right handed and left footed. He wants to drop the ball with his right hand, but needs to use his left as well, which leaves him in a tangle. From a set shot and snapping around the corner it's not an issue at all, it's just when trying to kick on the run he has problems. I think he's improved quite a bit already, but it's going to be a very difficult thing for him to overcome.

If he can get his field kicking to the level of adequate he will be elite.

Maddog37
18-03-2014, 02:41 PM
He needs to teach himself to kick right foot to the level that it becomes his preferred.