20-03-2014, 09:32 PM
BULLDOGS

B- Liam Picken, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood

HB- Brett Goodes, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy

C- Jack Macrae, Adam Cooney, Koby Stevens

HF- Shaun Higgins, Stewart Crameri, Daniel Giansiracusa,

F- Lachie Hunter, Jake Stringer, Tom Campbell

FOL- Will Minson, Matthew Boyd, Tom Liberatore

IC- Mitch Wallis, Tom Young, Jason Johannsen, Ayce Cordy, Mitch Honeychurch, Tory Dickson, Luke Dahlhaus

(Three to be omitted)

Remi Moses
20-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Staggered we didn't pick another tall back!
Talia?

boydogs
20-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Talia?

Surely he is injured to not even make the extended bench over Young, Dickson or Cordy

always right
20-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Makes me think that we are going to try and win this game through superior run and prevent them from easy entries into their tall forwards. Bold decision.

Remi Moses
20-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Makes me think that we are going to try and win this game through superior run and prevent them from easy entries into their tall forwards. Bold decision.

Yep, I'd say we're hoping and needing to win the midfield battle.

Throughandthrough
20-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm off to this match. Any wa folk know if there is pre match drinks anywhere?

GVGjr
20-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Strange selections, I was sure we would have an extra tall in the back half. Any chance we have Cordy in the mix for a defenders spot?

LongWait
20-03-2014, 10:54 PM
We are selecting a team to play to our strengths, rather than to the Eagles' strengths.

bornadog
20-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Talia?

I bet Young will get a game.

bornadog
20-03-2014, 11:15 PM
We are selecting a team to play to our strengths, rather than to the Eagles' strengths.

How about developing some young talent like Talia. Playing Morris as a tall again, gee I am really sick of seeing that. Feel sorry for the guy.

F'scary
20-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Clever tactic naming Cordy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Strange selections, I was sure we would have an extra tall in the back half. Any chance we have Cordy in the mix for a defenders spot?

You would expect Cordy to be one of the emergencies surely.
Easton Wood can count himself lucky to be in the starting line up.
A lot of pressure on Roughead and Morris to contain the WCE talls.
A mystery as to why Talia hasn't been named which makes you think that Young will be in the starting 22. I would also like to see JJ included to give us some run off the backline.Griffen and Jones are big losses in a team that looks a bit undermanned.

lemmon
21-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Not sure what more Talia could've done? He adds just as much to our backline as Roughy in my opinion

1eyedog
21-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Not sure what more Talia could've done? He adds just as much to our backline as Roughy in my opinion

Not sure about that but yes he does need some game time. Given the team list it appears to me that we are going to try to maintain possession until a good option presents itself in our very lead up forward line. I don't think we will try to run the ball at all because if we turn it over regularly we are in for some pain with only Roughie as a key back. I would expect us to maintain possession, chip kick and wait for good options both coming out of defence and going into F50. Could be a grind.

Mantis
21-03-2014, 02:00 AM

You would hope not given his limited experience in playing this role. One would think that Young would have to play, but it's hard to do so on exposed form.

West Coast have named 3 rucks in their 7 bench players so it seems they will have a tall side in.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't mind the theory behind what we are trying to do.

Whether we're good enough to pull it off, well that's another thing. Time will tell.

chef
21-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Looks a good team, nice depth to the bench.

Not worried by the oack of height in the backline(im sure Young will play so it wont be a problem IMO), we need as many runners as possible on Subi.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Looks a good team, nice depth to the bench.

Not worried by the oack of height in the backline(im sure Young will play so it wont be a problem IMO), we need as many runners as possible on Subi.
I agree that the talls are a worry but they will be so only if can't stop the Eagles from sending it in there regularly.

If libba and co in the middle can win the ball more than they do, this game will be about run.
We've got a couple of great forward options in Stringer and Crameri who loves playing on this ground because of his running ability and the space he can find.

If we are in the contest then this should be an entertaining game, that could be a battle of fitness in the last quarter.

chef
21-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Yep, this game is going to be won or lost in the middle.

Dancin' Douggy
21-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Tanking?

Ozza
21-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Big test for Libba - who goes into the game as our no.1 midfielder, with Griffen being out.

A good game from Tom is a non-negotiable if we are to be a chance of winning.

Greystache
21-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Big test for Libba - who goes into the game as our no.1 midfielder, with Griffen being out.

A good game from Tom is a non-negotiable if we are to be a chance of winning.

It's also a big opportunity for Cooney to show the football world he's back.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Interesting team selection... Tahlia must be sidelined? Tom Young has to play and JJ should too along with Lukey D and Wally.

However, I see the theory. The midfield and forward lines look strong, actually I'm pretty excited to see that forward line go. Plenty of runners in the team. Griff is a big loss.

I reckon WC will pip us over there but I'm hopeful of a win.

bornadog
21-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I think we will be lucky to be within 5 goals

chef
21-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Im confident of having a real crack wont be surprised to see a win

always right
21-03-2014, 03:01 PM
I think we will be lucky to be within 5 goals

Because of the team selection?.....because of home ground factor?...because they are a better side?...or all three?

bornadog
21-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Because of the team selection?.....because of home ground factor?...because they are a better side?...or all three?

Home ground and team selection. Backline is not good enough to take on their fire power.

I hope I am wrong.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Should be a cracking contest in the middle. Minson will be up against Cox and one of Naitinui/Lycett all day so Tom Campbell will need to play a significant game in the ruck as well as up forward. Then you have Boyd, Libba, Cooney, Stevens and Macrae versus Selwood, Schuey, Priddis, Rosa and Gaff. Should have them covered in the contest but our spread and ball movement will need to be very good as turnovers could kill us with our undersized backline. I'm tipping a very close match.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Well I was so far off in my 22 for round 1. Way off.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Should be a cracking contest in the middle. Minson will be up against Cox and one of Naitinui/Lycett all day so Tom Campbell will need to play a significant game in the ruck as well as up forward. Then you have Boyd, Libba, Cooney, Stevens and Macrae versus Selwood, Schuey, Priddis, Rosa and Gaff. Should have them covered in the contest but our spread and ball movement will need to be very good as turnovers could kill us with our undersized backline. I'm tipping a very close match.

Good point on the turnovers, better put boydy at half forward :)

ReLoad
21-03-2014, 04:40 PM
given the new interchange caps, you can bet that cox or Nic Nat will spend their resting time down back thus stretching our defence even further, it may even have the effect of sucking murphy back closer to goal. (which is a bad thing) I'm very surprised by the Talia omission, it must be due to injury reasons.

Griffen is a huge loss for us, his run and carry cannot be replaced. Id expect Cooney to get more attention now :(

I think this game is about kicking a big score, which to be honest I'm not sure we have in us at this point in time.

bornadog
21-03-2014, 05:01 PM
given the new interchange caps, you can bet that cox or Nic Nat will spend their resting time down back thus stretching our defence even further, it may even have the effect of sucking murphy back closer to goal. (which is a bad thing) I'm very surprised by the Talia omission, it must be due to injury reasons.

Griffen is a huge loss for us, his run and carry cannot be replaced. Id expect Cooney to get more attention now :(

I think this game is about kicking a big score, which to be honest I'm not sure we have in us at this point in time.

Talia named to play in practise match this afternoon

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Talia named to play in practise match this afternoon

Obviously stuff they still want hm to work on. Totally cool omitting both him and Jones although I do think Talia will be a huge in when they have him up to speed on where they want him. I don't get the Picken love though but it might just be me. He's a tagger IMO and Wally gets that role now.

Mantis
21-03-2014, 05:52 PM
I don't get the Picken love though but it might just be me. He's a tagger IMO and Wally gets that role now.

One would think that Wally will play on Priddis.

I would hope that Picken could do the job on Shuey or Gaff.

Axe Man
21-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Bulldogs
Interchange: Wallis, Dahlhaus, Dickson, Johannisen
Emergencies: Young, Cordy, Honeychurch

West Coast
Interchange: Nic Nat, Yeo, Sheed, Sinclair
Emergencies: Sheppard, Hill, Lycett

Amazed we aren't playing Young with no Talia in the side.

bulldogtragic
21-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Good for Honeychurch to know he's a few good VFL games off a debut.

bornadog
21-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Bulldogs

West Coast

Amazed we aren't playing Young with no Talia in the side.

Means Wood and Morris to play tall

Mantis
21-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Means Wood and Morris to play tall

And we know that is a recipe for disaster.

Hotdog60
21-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I think we will win by 4 goals and they will struggle to get the ball past half way.:D

G-Mo77
21-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Really out of the loop and just reading the teams now. We got cut up last time by their talls so it is surprising we're not taking another tall into the team. Not fussed though, maybe we're playing to our strengths rather than trying to curb theirs.

F'scary
21-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Bulldogs

West Coast

Macca should have kept the Cordy smoke screen going for longer. Bad tactical move.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Macca should have kept the Cordy smoke screen going for longer. Bad tactical move.

I am tipping there will be a late change (maybe Murphy) and Young will come in for more height.

bornadog
21-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Cooney to Captain

jeemak
21-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Really out of the loop and just reading the teams now. We got cut up last time by their talls so it is surprising we're not taking another tall into the team. Not fussed though, maybe we're playing to our strengths rather than trying to curb theirs.

I'm thinking we are using this round to reward preseason form and press for a gauge on how our rewarded squad can match things round one, without worrying too much about the areas we think WCE will hurt us. The reason why their talls were able to dominate us in the past was easy passage for WCE mids to move and use the ball. Most of the battle against their tall forwards will be won if we can stifle their midfield.

always right
22-03-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking we are using this round to reward preseason form

Which would make Dickson's selection very puzzling.

Twodogs
22-03-2014, 01:46 AM
I am tipping there will be a late change (maybe Murphy) and Young will come in for more height.

I agree there might be a late change but I think it might be Cordy.

jeemak
22-03-2014, 01:46 AM

Touche (from what I've heard, he's been a bit ordinary - haven't seen him up close myself).

Perhaps not enough players in his spot have trained as well as he has, and or played just as badly as he has in the praccy games.

Anyway, I'd have him close to goal in the best 22 under normal circumstances.

Greystache
22-03-2014, 02:06 AM

He kicked 18 goals in the last 7 games of last season. It was insane some people were suggesting he wouldn't play round 1.

jeemak
22-03-2014, 02:34 AM
He kicked 18 goals in the last 7 games of last season. It was insane some people were suggesting he wouldn't play round 1.

He's a player I've judged on weaknesses before, rather than positives. That was pretty much based on his first two or so games with the club before he got into the swing of things when his defensiveness was junk. Since then he's more than justified his selection offensively and defensively.

Pickenitup
22-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I think Wood will Get Darling Morris to have first crack on Kennedy and Roughie to play on Cox/Sinclair/Nic Nat.

always right
22-03-2014, 10:06 AM

Maybe...but if you were picking our team based on pre-season form, he wouldn't be in our 22.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2014, 10:26 AM
For some reason I think this team can give a really good shake against WC on Sunday.

Whilst our backline looks small on paper and we potentially face a few match up concerns there, we look to have a pretty mobile set up and one which should help us generate run from the back half, allowing us to score a good amount from the turnover.

Our forward line is very exciting, I think it'll still take a while for it to all gel together, but we should be able to cause the WC defence some problems with out set up.

I know the WC side is getting a lot of attention for being a big improver this year, but our midfield looks superior (by a fair way too) even with Griff out.

Can't wait.

Mantis
22-03-2014, 12:00 PM

That's all good and well, but we have got a fair amount of depth with the small/mid forwards and I think we are playing too many of them... On pre-season form alone Dickson has been the least impressive and for that reason probably should be sitting this one out.

soupman
22-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Also regarding Dickson he is a player that struggles more and more the further away from goals he is, and with Subiaco being huge he is going to need to push up more than usual to help out. I hope he isn't sub though because if we are looking to him to provide us with run and spark fresh off the bench I'll be surprised if he delivers.

anfo27
22-03-2014, 07:20 PM
With 3 ruckman they will be playing with 2 up forward for periods so i'm not sure how we will cover that.

Happy Days
22-03-2014, 08:31 PM
With 3 ruckman they will be playing with 2 up forward for periods so i'm not sure how we will cover that.

I'm good with Roughy on Cox and Sinclair isn't good, it's just Naitanui we have to worry about.

And apparently they're looking to limit his minutes, so this might not even be much concern (bookmark this post and own me with it when the rucks kick 12 between them).

Honestly, I'm more worried with covering their spread. I'm not sure how prolific it will be under Simpson, but historically, guys like Embley, and more recently Gaff, Shuey and even Rosa have killed us. I don't think Wall has the speed to straight outside with these guys, so how do we contain it? I'm not as confident in Picken as I used to be.

jeemak
22-03-2014, 08:50 PM
HD I'd definitely take Picken on any of them as a straight tagger through the middle of the ground. I'm more worried about his decision making and ball use out of defence.

If we play the way we want to play I'd hope their run and carry will be nullified by dominance of contests we'll likely create.

Happy Days
22-03-2014, 08:53 PM
HD I'd definitely take Picken on any of them as a straight tagger through the middle of the ground. I'm more worried about his decision making and ball use out of defence.

If we play the way we want to play I'd hope their run and carry will be nullified by dominance of contests we'll likely create.

Would you have him take Gaff or Shuey?

I'm inclined towards Gaff and hope our inside dominance (that we may not have) will suck Shuey to to ball.

I don't think we're going to win.

jeemak
23-03-2014, 12:13 AM
I'd actually go head to head with each of those guys with whoever we decide to line up on them - get them to play tight, and put Wallis on Priddis to cut their supply. I don't think we actually have anyone to go with them pace wise who could also be creative at the same time, particularly with Picken being marked for a back six role (he's quick enough - he's not creative though).

I think we're pretty dangerous to them midfield wise and they'll need to put a bit of work into making sure we don't take the clearances and stifle their chances at getting first ball out.

Lecras requires the most defensive attention of all the small/mid size WCE forwards for me and I'd put Picken on him and make him play negative. If each of them only got a handful of touches for the game, and Lecras didn't affect the scoreboard significantly I'd be very happy. Picken playing negative has a silver lining in that he is less likely to be the player using the ball coming out of defence.

bornadog
26-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Herald Sun's Best 22 which I think is pretty close

B: Dale Morris, Jordan Roughead, Jason Johannisen

HB: Bob Murphy, Michael Talia, Shane Biggs

C: Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis, Jack Macrae

HF: Luke Dahlhaus, Stewart Crameri, Lachie Hunter

F: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Tom Campbell

FOLL: Will Minson, Tom Liberatore, Matthew Boyd

I/C: Liam Picken, Nathan Hrovat, Jarrad Grant, Easton Wood

Not picked: Koby Stevens, Mitch Honeychurch, Tory Dickson, Joel Hamling, Caleb Daniel
Big job for Talia to hold down centre half-back but the Dogs don’t have many other options. Former Swan Biggs is ready to go after collecting big numbers in the NEAFL throughout 2014.

F'scary
26-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Based on numerous training reports, a couple of first hand observations and various media reports (including club's website), at this stage I reckon:

B: Dale Morris, Jordan Roughead, Liam Picken

HB: Bob Murphy, Michael Talia, Shane Biggs

C: Mitch Wallis, Matthew Boyd, Jack Macrae

HF: Stewart Crameri, Jack Redpath, Lachie Hunter

F: Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus

FOLL: Will Minson, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore,

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Nathan Hrovat, Easton Wood, Koby Stevens

If we are really concerned about their height on the forward line we could try Hamling in BP for Stevens on the bench and reshuffle the interchange, perhaps JJ as sub. I have Boyd in the centre based on 2014 form but the clock is ticking and there is always the Boyd disposal issue

GVGjr
26-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Inside Football put this as our best team as opposed to the likely round one side. This one doesn't include Biggs

B: Morris, Talia, Picken
HB: Murphy, Roughead, Wood
C: Hunter, Liberatore, Macrae
HF: Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hrovat
R: Minson, Bontempelli, M.Boyd
IC: Smith, Stevens, Wallis, Campbell

On a side note, both the Herald Sun and Inside Football have put forward many errors in naming there best 22 players. Some of the errors include naming players twice or naming players as not named when they have actually been included.

GVGjr
26-01-2015, 09:22 AM
I'd be going with something like this for round one

B: Murphy, Roughead, Morris
HB: Biggs, Talia, Wood
C: Macrae, Hrovat, Stevens,
HF: Dahlhaus, Crameri, Bontempelli
F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hunter
R: Minson, Picken, Liberatore
IC: Wallis, Johannisen, Jong, M.Boyd, Campbell, Roberts, Honeychurch

always right
26-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Here's the team I'm hoping to see.

B: Hamling Roughy Morris
HB: Biggs Talia Wood
C: Murphy Jong McCrae
HF: Dahlhaus Crameri Bontempelli
F: Hunter Boyd Stringer
R: Minson Libba Hrovat
I: Wallis Boyd Picken Stevens

I've selected this side for Westcoast and their tall forwardline...even though it looks at this stage like Darling may miss. Johannisen could easily come in for either Hamling or Talia with Talia the most vulnerable. I like Hamling's pace and agility at the moment even though I've never seen him play.:o Looks like a good matchup for Kennedy.

Jong is the big one. His improvement has been enormous in such a short time and he looks the perfect player for Beveridge's attacking game style. Still question marks on his disposal and game awareness but he looks like he could become a real attacking weapon. My new favourite player. ;)

The Underdog
26-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Based purely on the one training session I've seen, I'd have Hamling slightly ahead of Talia, but admittedly that's no sample size to judge from. The 2nd ruck issue is one that continues to perplex. Having T. Boyd run there makes sense from a size perspective but I'd be surprised if his fitness if going to be good enough, at least initially. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jong is in there from the get go.

Go_Dogs
26-01-2015, 10:22 AM
It's always hard to pick a side at this time of year, but after the latest set of training reports, I'd like to see:-

B: Morris, Roughead, Hamling
HB: Murphy, Talia, Biggs
C: Bontempelli, Wallis, Dahlhaus
HF: Hrovat, Crameri, Stevens
F: Stringer, T Boyd, Hunter
R: Minson, Jong, Liberatore
I/C: Macrae, Picken, Wood, M Boyd (sub)

Happy Days
26-01-2015, 11:17 AM
It's always hard to pick a side at this time of year, but after the latest set of training reports, I'd like to see:-

Pretty close to what I would have, aside from semantics; Hunter or Hrovat to be sub instead of Mr. Workrate, and Dahl, Stevens and Macrae all swapping positions. Pre-season will illuminate which one of these players inevitably gets dropped for Jarrad Grant, obviously.

Hamling at this stage plays round one, if for nothing else other than matching up on WCE's height. The biggest reach in the side is probably Boyd (the handsome one) in all honesty, but no way he doesn't play.

bulldogtragic
26-01-2015, 11:22 AM
The other 21 can sort itself out. Jarrad Grant must be in the 22.

GVGjr
26-01-2015, 11:34 AM

I have a few questions:
Why Macrae slips to the IC bench?
Why you are moving Dahlhaus to a wing?
No Johannisen?
Not massive changes but ones I find interesting.

I'd also have Picken in the square to support Liberatore.

Happy Days
26-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Nailed it.

GVGjr
26-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Contract year, I'd hope he is good form from round one.

bulldogtragic
26-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Contract year, I'd hope he is good form from round one.

Some cynics would say a contract year means Jarrad will have a good year. The way I see it, Boyd, Campbell,/Roughy, Stew & Jake get the 4 big guys. Dahl, Hunter, Hrovat get the best small defenders. He works too far up for a lockdown player too. On this basis Grant is too tall &/or too quick for his likely opponent. When this happened when Barry was around and in late 2013 when other clubs forgot about him, he showed his value to the team. His work rate is up, upon many replays of the VFL grand final it was clear its now dropping in his head. If he'd kicked straight he would've been close to BOG. The reports are saying we are moving the ball much faster which for me means Jarrad must play. His link in, lead up and look away handball X factor stuff is conducive to fast movement, and if he in the 50 he can burn a slower opponent and/or take heat away from Boyd. Or better yet, crumb which is probably his most accurate kicking technique. A more attacking gameplan is his ticket to playing AFL footy for more years, he might have needed to learn defence under Macca, but under an attacking Eade with other bigs was his best time. So it's his time again.

Go_Dogs
26-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I have a few questions:
Why Macrae slips to the IC bench?
Why you are moving Dahlhaus to a wing?
No Johannisen?
Not massive changes but ones I find interesting.

I'd also have Picken in the square to support Liberatore.

I'm not too concerned about naming a player who I would rate in our top 18 on the bench, but just for balance couldn't fit him on the field. Given the rotations it doesn't really mean much, in my opinion.

Given our midfield will have Liberatore, Wallis, Bontempelli, Stevens, Macrae and Hrovat rolling through I like Dahl on a wing to add some pace around the ball, along with Jong. I know there has been a lot of speculation about Dahl's best position, and the general consensus from most on here seems to be to play him in a forward role, but I think he'll spend quite a lot of time in the midfield again - his pace, ability to create something from nothing and defensive efforts all offer a point of difference to most of our other blokes.

I really wanted to squeeze JJ in, but couldn't quite put him ahead of Biggs and Wood at this stage. I'm sure he'll play a lot of senior footy this year though. Biggs seems to be a lock, and Wood is a handy player for his versatility, especially against West Coast where he may need to pinch hit above his height at times. He's one I'm keen to see play a bit of a utility role, meaning he can also spend time forward and through the middle to give some others a chop out with the rotations.

The Underdog
26-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Some cynics would say a contract year means Jarrad will have a good year. The way I see it, Boyd, Campbell,/Roughy, Stew & Jake get the 4 big guys. Dahl, Hunter, Hrovat get the best small defenders. He works too far up for a lockdown player too. On this basis Grant is too tall &/or too quick for his likely opponent. When this happened when Barry was around and in late 2013 when other clubs forgot about him, he showed his value to the team. His work rate is up, upon many replays of the VFL grand final it was clear its now dropping in his head. If he'd kicked straight he would've been close to BOG. The reports are saying we are moving the ball much faster which for me means Jarrad must play. His link in, lead up and look away handball X factor stuff is conducive to fast movement, and if he in the 50 he can burn a slower opponent and/or take heat away from Boyd. Or better yet, crumb which is probably his most accurate kicking technique. A more attacking gameplan is his ticket to playing AFL footy for more years, he might have needed to learn defence under Macca, but under an attacking Eade with other bigs was his best time. So it's his time again.

I absolutely think there is a place for Grant at his best form in our best 22. He is one of the best crumbers on our team, has a great burst of pace and fantastic hands below his knees. Of course he also has a strong history of under performing and being exceptionally lazy without the ball. I thought parts of his 2013 were easily his strongest and most exciting football. I thought some of his 2014 VFL football was appalling. For all of the criticism of Jones and Tutt, they out performed Grant at VFL level by a mile. I'm fine if he is in our 22 in round one, provided his pre-season form is outstanding. X factor is fine, but I'd rather pick a guy I can rely upon to give total effort for a full game. I'm a supporter of Grant's talent but for a guy who's been in the system as long as he has, I'm not necessarily a believer.

Axe Man
19-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Some issues for West Coast going into round 1 with Beau Waters retiring and Jack Darling and Scott Selwood unlikely to be fit.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Morris, Roughy, Picken
Biggs, Talia, Murphy
Bonts, Wallis, Macrae
Grant, Crameri, Hunter
Dahl, Boyd, Stringer
Minson, Libba, Hrovat
Stevens, JJ, Wood, Jong

F'scary
19-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Some issues for West Coast going into round 1 with Beau Waters retiring and Jack Darling and Scott Selwood unlikely to be fit.

Darling usually murders us.

F'scary
19-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Morris, Roughy, Picken
Biggs, Talia, Murphy
Bonts, Wallis, Macrae
Grant, Crameri, Hunter
Dahl, Boyd, Stringer
Minson, Libba, Hrovat
Stevens, JJ, Wood, Jong

Big ask of Crameri, I thought last year his turns at CHF completely blunted the best aspects of his game - I think he was reduced to contesting pack marks and then scrambling for it on the inside, usually with a view to just holding the play up until a bounce was called for. Grant is going to have to shine in the NAB cup to start in Round 1. Not saying it can't happen.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Big ask of Crameri, I thought last year his turns at CHF completely blunted the best aspects of his game - I think he was reduced to contesting pack marks and then scrambling for it on the inside, usually with a view to just holding the play up until a bounce was called for. Grant is going to have to shine in the NAB cup to start in Round 1. Not saying it can't happen.

I wouldn't play him in the traditional CHF role. I'm still a Grant believer still and I think 3 guys around 193cm who have the ability to run plus contest or crumb is a very difficult defensive task with two good smalls and Boyd. I would love Roughy as the second marking target, but that's not looking like happening. I like Koby forward in a defensive role who is also good overhead rotating through.

Hawthorn had two genuine talls last year and heavily rotated mids, utilities and small forwards. That's where the magic was. I'd love a second genuine tall, but I'm not sold on Redpath, Roughy isn't being moved forward, Ayce isn't a forward and Campbell is next on my list.

F'scary
19-02-2015, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't play him in the traditional CHF role. I'm still a Grant believer still and I think 3 guys around 193cm who have the ability to run plus contest or crumb is a very difficult defensive task with two good smalls and Boyd. I would love Roughy as the second marking target, but that's not looking like happening. I like Koby forward in a defensive role who is also good overhead rotating through.

Hawthorn had two genuine talls last year and heavily rotated mids, utilities and small forwards. That's where the magic was. I'd love a second genuine tall, but I'm not sold on Redpath, Roughy isn't being moved forward, Ayce isn't a forward and Campbell is next on my list.

Fair enough, could work if there is a lot of quick ball movement and leading. A la 2008-2010. Bob Murphy even played a good role at CHF for a while then, if I recall correctly.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Fair enough, could work if there is a lot of quick ball movement and leading. A la 2008-2010. Bob Murphy even played a good role at CHF for a while then, if I recall correctly.

Bob Murphy was All Australian CHF before Rocca blew his knee out. But we need him in defence.

But Murphy, Johno, Gia etc were a handful as you point out. I think that's what Bevo is thinking about when he talks about quicker ball movement with better ball users. When we get to the pointy end we need A big brute KPF who we have in training now, and hopefully another coming soon. Multi dimensional forward lines seem to be the thing and Bevo seems to singing from this hymn book.

azabob
19-02-2015, 10:17 PM
BULLDOGS

B- Liam Picken, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood

HB- Brett Goodes, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy

C- Jack Macrae, Adam Cooney, Koby Stevens

HF- Shaun Higgins, Stewart Crameri, Daniel Giansiracusa,

F- Lachie Hunter, Jake Stringer, Tom Campbell

FOL- Will Minson, Matthew Boyd, Tom Liberatore

IC- Mitch Wallis, Tom Young, Jason Johannsen, Ayce Cordy, Mitch Honeychurch, Tory Dickson, Luke Dahlhaus

(Three to be omitted)

Funnily this thread was started in round one for 2014, not 2015.

Has our team really changed that much?

It certainly will be an interesting season and one where we will be relying big time on the younger generation improving quickly.

Remi Moses
19-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Darling usually murders us.

Along with Josh Kennedy

1eyedog
20-02-2015, 11:34 AM

Morris, Roughy, Picken
Biggs, Talia, Murphy
Bonts, Wallis, Macrae
Grant, Crameri, Hunter
Dahl, Boyd, Stringer
Minson, Libba, Hrovat
Stevens, JJ, Wood, Jong

Why is Biggs starting on a HBF in front of Wood? Because his hair is neatly done on the training track? Seriously Wood was beaten at times on one one last year but he still played on players not suited to him. The biggest improvement was that he never went to ground and was never really pushed off the ball. I thought he had an ok season and credits in the bank to start before Biggs.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Why is Biggs starting on a HBF in front of Wood? Because his hair is neatly done on the training track? Seriously Wood was beaten at times on one one last year but he still played on players not suited to him. The biggest improvement was that he never went to ground and was never really pushed off the ball. I thought he had an ok season and credits in the bank to start before Biggs.

It's not a slap, Wood is still in the team and with 120 rotations a game it's not like he's warming the bench for any long time. We need to invest in Biggs for the long term and Wood might be a handy swing man or go back if Biggs is getting beaten, who knows. He's in the 22, not sure why Biggs hair is more relevant than his good preseason feedback though.

always right
20-02-2015, 12:09 PM

I'm still staggered at how poorly Wood polled in the B&F. I thought he had an excellent season and would have him as a certain starter in round one.

Happy Days
20-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Wood was literally the worst one on one defender in the comp last year. Like literally the worst. I agree he has value to the team but not as a one on one defender. Hopefully the inclusion of Hamling (as in, hopefully he is included) pushes everyone down a place in the height queue, but if things remain the same as last year I'm not too bullish on Wood's standing.

F'scary
20-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Along with Josh Kennedy

Ouch!

F'scary
20-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm still staggered at how poorly Wood polled in the B&F. I thought he had an excellent season and would have him as a certain starter in round one.

Agree with the above.

Wood was literally the worst one on one defender in the comp last year. Like literally the worst. I agree he has value to the team but not as a one on one defender. Hopefully the inclusion of Hamling (as in, hopefully he is included) pushes everyone down a place in the height queue, but if things remain the same as last year I'm not too bullish on Wood's standing.

I don't agree with this. My perception is that Wood was really good last year - although there was a strange incident where - is this correct? - Macca dropped him even though he was played all right the preceding game in most punters' eyes. Or was it a hand injury or some such?

always right
20-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Are you quoting stats on this? My preception last year is the exact opposite of this. Thought he was strong in the one on ones and never lost his feet, often launching counter attacks.

Bulldog Joe
20-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Do you have any stat that supports that point.

Even then I would like a bit of a breakdown.
Wood was actually asked to play a lot as a substitute tall defender.

The last player of his stature that could consistently do that was Steve Kretiuk. The tall forwards also weren't as tall then.

LostDoggy
20-02-2015, 03:06 PM

Absolute crap, I'm afraid. He wouldn't even be the worst in the team.

Greystache
20-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Do you have any stat that supports that point.

Even then I would like a bit of a breakdown.
Wood was actually asked to play a lot as a substitute tall defender.

The last player of his stature that could consistently do that was Steve Kretiuk. The tall forwards also weren't as tall then.

I've seen the same stats. Wood lost 35% of all one on one contest which was the highest in the AFL, I'll see if i can dig it up. He was a defensive liability last year in a team that was terrible at defending. Reports from preseason indicate he struggling badly again this year.

Roughead was right up there on the list as well, but I'd cut him some slack given the shoulder problems he had.

I'd like to see Morris playing on the midsized/3rd tall forward and we play a genuine rebounding defender like Biggs or Darley instead of Wood.

Mofra
20-02-2015, 03:28 PM
I've seen the same stats. Wood lost 35% of all one on one contest which was the highest in the AFL, I'll see if i can dig it up. He was a defensive liability last year in a team that was terrible at defending. Reports from preseason indicate he struggling badly again this year.

Roughead was right up there on the list as well, but I'd cut him some slack given the shoulder problems he had.

I'd like to see Morris playing on the midsized/3rd tall forward and we play a genuine rebounding defender like Biggs or Darley instead of Wood.
Wood was playing well outside of his height/weight division (ditto Morris) so that has to be taken into context.

Many of us have argued long and hard about our lack of KPD options - we may just have to grit out teeth, throw Talia in there and hope that we can give him enough support with team zones to be able to avoid having him one-out with opponents too often.

always right
20-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Would be interested in seeing those stats. Perhaps I'm losing the plot but if true those stats are completely at odds with my own observations last year. I'm more than comfortable with Wood in our side whether that be in defence or on the wing.

Happy Days
20-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Yep this is what I was talking about.

jeemak
20-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I thought he had a mixed year in which he battled manfully whilst undersized in some cases, but was of little value with ball in hand and weak in defence in other cases.

It's a make or break year for Easton.

bornadog
20-02-2015, 04:33 PM
The trouble with Wood from the day he started playing, is he doesn't have the ability to accumulate possessions. He needs to be able to get the ball and use it well running off HBF. He has also been unfairly pitted against taller opponents, but otherwise I thought 2014 was his best year.

Happy Days
20-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Absolute crap, I'm afraid. He wouldn't even be the worst in the team.

Not really man.

I think Easton can still add value, but not as he "did" last year. His best football (that one game against Collingwood where he did his hamstring) has been as a running defender, something we are in need of. Perhaps even a move up the ground could work. Just no more key defending, battling manfully or not.

FFS Aaron Black killed him; Aaron Black!

1eyedog
20-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Not really man.

I think Easton can still add value, but not as he "did" last year. His best football (that one game against Collingwood where he did his hamstring) has been as a running defender, something we are in need of. Perhaps even a move up the ground could work. Just no more key defending, battling manfully or not.

Again, playing on opposition players not suited to him. Aaron Black has played his entire life as a KPP and is 8cm taller than Wood. If the ball comes down on top of them who is going to 80% of the time, mark it? I think many of us on here have played on bigger guys and 3 - 4 inches when the ball is in the air makes a hell of a lot of difference, not just in height but in arm reach as well, no matter how athletic you are. Easton Wood made some mistakes last year but he did a hell of a lot of things right too. I see steady improvement.

Bulldog4life
20-02-2015, 05:53 PM
WIN-LOSS DIFFERENTIAL IN ONE-ON-ONE CONTESTS: 2014

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Kyle Cheney (Hawthorn) -27.5 per cent

Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs) -26.7 per cent

Zac Dawson (Fremantle) -15.2 per cent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-defender-alex-rance-is-the-best-oneonone-player-in-the-afl/story-fni5f9jb-1226978113033

This might be what you have been looking for guys.

1eyedog
20-02-2015, 06:01 PM

THE WORST DEFENDERS

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-defender-alex-rance-is-the-best-oneonone-player-in-the-afl/story-fni5f9jb-1226978113033

Is there a stat for defenders who fell over? Unlike many defenders in the competition Wood has the potential to be best on ground and can seriously influence a game. We've only seen it a few times but the potential is there. If he does the basics right and builds confidence and if Talia (or someone else) can help him out this year he'll be a regular fixture in the side.

Has he even played 50 games yet?

bulldogtragic
20-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Is there a stat for defenders who fell over? Unlike many defenders in the competition Wood has the potential to be best on ground and can seriously influence a game. We've only seen it a few times but the potential is there. If he does the basics right and builds confidence and if Talia (or someone else) can help him out this year he'll be a regular fixture in the side.

He's a free agent at years end, so he's been around for a while.

Bulldog Joe
20-02-2015, 06:13 PM

THE WORST DEFENDERS

The problem with this as a raw stat is that it provides no insight into the type of contest.

Cheney was used by Hawthorn as an undersized tall and squaring a contest would have been a great result. We did much the same with Wood.

boydogs
20-02-2015, 09:28 PM

That was published mid year in July

1eyedog
20-02-2015, 10:11 PM

THE WORST DEFENDERS

Cheney and Wood. Not surprising really two under-sized guys player key position roles.

1eyedog
20-02-2015, 11:59 PM
It's not a slap, Wood is still in the team and with 120 rotations a game it's not like he's warming the bench for any long time. We need to invest in Biggs for the long term and Wood might be a handy swing man or go back if Biggs is getting beaten, who knows. He's in the 22, not sure why Biggs hair is more relevant than his good preseason feedback though.

His hair being neat was merely an analogy for his preseason form, which I would also suggest has been neat. Do we need to invest in Wood as well or not as much do you think?
Have you seen any of Biggs' 3 games for the Swans? What impressed you most from those 3 matches that put him in front of Wood? Serious question I'm interested in finding out more about him.

LostDoggy
21-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Not really man.

THE WORST DEFENDERS

You've taken one single stat, given totally without context and -- what's more -- it's a percentage stat rather than a total or average; you've used that one singular statistic to label Wood the competition's worst one on one defender. If he's ill-matched for height or speed, that's one thing, but also consider the speed at which our midfield allowed the ball to fly down to the defending 50 last year and suddenly it paints a different picture. If we're not putting pressure on the ball coming from the centre, Wood (and all our defenders, really) find themselves a) trying to spoil a perfectly targeted pass with no team mates nearby to back him up b) having to put in extra to get to the additional contests and cover the extra traffic and c) unable to effectively dispose of the ball even if they do win the contest.

I think you need more than a win-loss differential to label him the competition's worst one on one defender, so I'm sticking by my original post: it's crap. I'll take out the absolute but it's still pretty smelly.

bulldogtragic
21-02-2015, 11:43 AM
His hair being neat was merely an analogy for his preseason form, which I would also suggest has been neat. Do we need to invest in Wood as well or not as much do you think?
Have you seen any of Biggs' 3 games for the Swans? What impressed you most from those 3 matches that put him in front of Wood? Serious question I'm interested in finding out more about him.

The most attention I've paid was obviously when he played us and I was impressed. He's been on the rookie list and forced his way into a strong Sydney side. He's a very good size and weight. He can get his own footy, but get good outside footy and kicks more than he handballs. A part from the 'vibe' of a few looks and preseason reports my view on his stats are this:

His racking up 17 possies a game already, more kicks. He's getting good rebound and inside 50 numbers too. He also is averaging 4 tackles a game. His stat issue is disposal efficiency.

With more game time, and more time in an elite environment as a full listed player will help to no end. More training aand more experience should assist in his disposal efficiency as he gets the tempo. He play good defence (see our game) but also can be damaging the other way which is in his stats. He's got good size and is a more rebounding half back than what Wood has been forced to play. I see a role for Wood which is why he's in my starting 22 for the season. Biggs has a fair bit of improvement in my view and I'd like to fast track that, if he's getting beaten he can play other roles and Wood or others can go back. Of all the lower trades or delistees, Biggs is my pick to make it.

F'scary
21-02-2015, 01:42 PM

I am not saying that I would put Biggs in front of Wood. It is a nice problem to have. They appear to be slightly different sorts of players. Wood is physically stronger. He became more of your shoulder-to-shoulder stopper in 2014 but I think he still offers rebounding skills. Biggs is in fact more like Captain Bob Murphy as a player.

Remi Moses
21-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Gotta say bit of tough love on Wood on here.
He's played undersized in an ordinary back 6 .
Thought he was reasonably good last season, and if he can improve his kicking and decision making, he'd be valuable.
His composure improved last season, as did the less kamikaze acts.

Remi Moses
21-02-2015, 02:09 PM
I am not saying that I would put Biggs in front of Wood. It is a nice problem to have. They appear to be slightly different sorts of players. Wood is physically stronger. He became more of your shoulder-to-shoulder stopper in 2014 but I think he still offers rebounding skills. Biggs is in fact more like Captain Bob Murphy as a player.

Sydney fan I work with was shocked they allowed Biggs to leave .
With Melcheski departed and Shaw nearing the end it seemed a surprising decision

F'scary
21-02-2015, 02:51 PM
With Melcheski departed and Shaw nearing the end it seemed a surprising decision

Well Remi, we got Ronnie Biggs and a Jarman for the Cooney trade. Who knows, maybe this will be one deal where we finish way in front on the ledger. That would be nice.

Bulldog Joe
21-02-2015, 02:54 PM

Didn't they need to simply make room.

They weren't able to retain Biggs as a rookie on the 3 year rule, but they also had a couple of academy players coming on to the list.

Even the departure of Malceski was caused by this as well as the salary cap pressure due to the Buddy and Tippett deals.

F'scary
21-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Didn't they need to simply make room.

They weren't able to retain Biggs as a rookie on the 3 year rule, but they also had a couple of academy players coming on to the list.

Even the departure of Malceski was caused by this as well as the salary cap pressure due to the Buddy and Tippett deals.

Certainly, they unloaded Biggs for a pick upgrade. That's a room-on-the-list making move. It would be interesting to review their trade/draft activity to get the full picture. If they didn't have room to promote him, then they would have lost him I think if he had renominated in the rookie draft or more probably before that in the ND. It's a chess game.

Bulldog Joe
21-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Certainly, they unloaded Biggs for a pick upgrade. That's a room-on-the-list making move. It would be interesting to review their trade/draft activity to get the full picture. If they didn't have room to promote him, then they would have lost him I think if he had renominated in the rookie draft or more probably before that in the ND. It's a chess game.

We were always going to take him.
If not for the trade we would have just added him as a delisted free agent.
The trade was simply about us showing "good faith" with Sydney.

F'scary
21-02-2015, 05:08 PM
We were always going to take him.
If not for the trade we would have just added him as a delisted free agent.
The trade was simply about us showing "good faith" with Sydney.

Good point - I had forgotten the DFA period before the ND. Since we rated him, it worked for us as he may have gone elsewhere in the DFA, who knows?

Happy Days
21-02-2015, 08:19 PM
You've taken one single stat, given totally without context and -- what's more -- it's a percentage stat rather than a total or average; you've used that one singular statistic to label Wood the competition's worst one on one defender. If he's ill-matched for height or speed, that's one thing, but also consider the speed at which our midfield allowed the ball to fly down to the defending 50 last year and suddenly it paints a different picture. If we're not putting pressure on the ball coming from the centre, Wood (and all our defenders, really) find themselves a) trying to spoil a perfectly targeted pass with no team mates nearby to back him up b) having to put in extra to get to the additional contests and cover the extra traffic and c) unable to effectively dispose of the ball even if they do win the contest.

I think you need more than a win-loss differential to label him the competition's worst one on one defender, so I'm sticking by my original post: it's crap. I'll take out the absolute but it's still pretty smelly.

So you were content with his work last year as an undersized third tall?

I think we're all agreeing with each other here in that he can't play on big guys.

1eyedog
22-02-2015, 09:48 AM
The most attention I've paid was obviously when he played us and I was impressed. He's been on the rookie list and forced his way into a strong Sydney side. He's a very good size and weight. He can get his own footy, but get good outside footy and kicks more than he handballs. A part from the 'vibe' of a few looks and preseason reports my view on his stats are this:

His racking up 17 possies a game already, more kicks. He's getting good rebound and inside 50 numbers too. He also is averaging 4 tackles a game. His stat issue is disposal efficiency.

With more game time, and more time in an elite environment as a full listed player will help to no end. More training aand more experience should assist in his disposal efficiency as he gets the tempo. He play good defence (see our game) but also can be damaging the other way which is in his stats. He's got good size and is a more rebounding half back than what Wood has been forced to play. I see a role for Wood which is why he's in my starting 22 for the season. Biggs has a fair bit of improvement in my view and I'd like to fast track that, if he's getting beaten he can play other roles and Wood or others can go back. Of all the lower trades or delistees, Biggs is my pick to make it.

It's interesting that Sydney let him go. I'm not sure if I'm sold on letting good players go or players with heaps of potential for that matter. Sydney are better than most at identifying talent but I do I understand that Sydney were squeezed and Biggs may have requested us for more opportunities, similar to Hamling and Geelong's big man dilemma down the road. It would be great if you're right and I hope you are.

Where would you play Wood coming off the bench?

bulldogtragic
22-02-2015, 03:06 PM
It's interesting that Sydney let him go. I'm not sure if I'm sold on letting good players go or players with heaps of potential for that matter. Sydney are better than most at identifying talent but I do I understand that Sydney were squeezed and Biggs may have requested us for more opportunities, similar to Hamling and Geelong's big man dilemma down the road. It would be great if you're right and I hope you are.

Where would you play Wood coming off the bench?

I would like him to be a more pure utility with ability to play back, defensive forward or where the game needs him. Rotations start almost immediately now so I don't think the bench is a bad thing or slur on him. He's a good size and long kick maybe more centre and forward. He's a big body so having him around the play is good, I just prefer a rebounding flanker like Biggs.

As for Biggs Sydney wanted to keep him but we obviously made a good offer. They had potential guns like Mitchell not getting a game so the squeeze was on. His stats indicate rebounding, inside 50's, kicking more than handballing and tackling. Great stats for a rookie in a top side. Hamling was delisted, but Sydney actually wanted to keep Biggs.

We will soon find out! :)

Rocco Jones
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Yesterday's game gives us a bit more insight on our starting 22 (as well as awful loss of Libba). Here is my crack at it.
HB: Wood, Talia, Murphy
C: Picken, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Crameri, T. Boyd, Hunter
F: Dahl, Redpath, Stringer
R: Minson, Bonts, Jong
I/C: JJ, Stevens, M.Boyd
Sub: Hrovat

If Crameri or Hrovat are out then I would bring in Honeychurch. If both are out, I would bring in Grant.

Would love to see Grant really push his case for a spot through some good performances in the rest of the NAB games. We have a lot of small forward/mid types on the peripheral of the side and I think Grant could offer a lot more.

boydogs
01-03-2015, 07:25 PM
That's a very tall backline RJ. You'd have to have one of JJ, Darley, Biggs in there I think, or at least on the bench

Rocco Jones
01-03-2015, 07:34 PM
That's a very tall backline RJ. You'd have to have one of JJ, Darley, Biggs in there I think, or at least on the bench

Whoops I forgot JJ in 22. Beveridge has mentioned Morris not playing on the big guys and I think we need to do the same with Wood. That leaves us with Talia and Roughead up against a very tall Eagles forward line.

Just don't really rate Biggs and Darley enough up against the insurance of having Hamling there. I think it will also help develop Wood. Hard to expect him to offer rebound when he is punching so far out of his weight division.

LostDoggy
11-03-2015, 12:19 AM
As this round 1 match approaches the more and more West Coast seem completely ripe for the picking.

Darling and McKenzie will both be missing. Nic Nat has done not much all pre season and remains in some doubt to be right for round 1.

Scott Selwood looks likely to miss and Wellingham and Ellis picked up fresh injuries last weekend.

Waters, Glass and Cox all retired. Suddenly they will be looking at fielding a fairly inexperienced side.

It's turning into a very winnable game.

Remi Moses
11-03-2015, 01:31 AM
I'd have Darley in and possibly Hamling out .
That back 6 lacks some run so JJ must play.
That first game is definitely winnable, and if only we could do something about Josh Kennedy

F'scary
11-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Yesterday's game gives us a bit more insight on our starting 22 (as well as awful loss of Libba). Here is my crack at it.
HB: Wood, Talia, Murphy
I/C: JJ, Stevens, M.Boyd

If Crameri or Hrovat are out then I would bring in Honeychurch. If both are out, I would bring in Grant.

Would love to see Grant really push his case for a spot through some good performances in the rest of the NAB games. We have a lot of small forward/mid types on the peripheral of the side and I think Grant could offer a lot more.

RJ, If Hrovat is fit, I would have him in front of Jong, Stevens & Matt Boyd in the pecking order for selection - as much as I like those 3 players, I'm not knocking them but Hrovat was winning a lot of ball in the last half of 2014 as a midfielder and his vision and disposal skills are streets ahead of those guys. Perhaps swap M Boyd with Hrovat in your lineup.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2015, 04:25 PM
My updated side

B: Morris, Roughead, Wood
HB: JJ, Hamling, Murphy
I/C: Grant, Stevens, M.Boyd

Going with Hamling over Talia. Hrovat is sub to look after him with the injury. If one of Crameri/Hrovat our out I would bring in Honeychurch. If both are out, I'd bring in Dickson as well.

Would like to have another good ball user like Darley but he is just far too 1D for mine atm. I have Caleb Daniel very close to the 22.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2015, 04:53 PM
At the moment, I'd be leaning towards something like:-

HB: Murphy, Talia, Wood
C: Dahlhaus, M Boyd, Macrae
HF: Crameri, Redpath, Stevens
F: Picken, T Boyd, Stringer
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
I/C: Darley, Wallis, Honeychurch, JJ (sub)

Whilst Darley wasn't great yesterday, I think he gets an opportunity to play round 1.
Honeychurch, Hrovat (if fit) and Hunter are all playing for the same spot in my side, indeed, it's possible all 3 will play round 1, but at the moment, Honeychurch is probably in front.
With Libba out, Matty Boyd will need to do some of the heavy lifting in the midfield, adding some much needed experience.
Given Darling is out, we can probably go in without Talia, but despite being poor against Melbourne he was good against Richmond and is helped with having Roughead and Murphy down back - I say play him round 1 and see how he goes.
I can't quite find a spot for Dickson or Grant in my team, although suspect Dickson is pretty close - perhaps if Crameri is missing, Dickson slots into his spot.

Unfortunately, it's still a very difficult exercise picking the side, as there are a number of players around the mark but not enough who have really pushed their case and demanded they be picked.

Before I Die
15-03-2015, 07:37 PM
My updated side

This looks pretty good to me.

I actually think Cordy could be the one who surprises with an early selection. Though it is more likely Minson will be given first chance and his aggression could be very important with all our young midfielders.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2015, 07:47 PM
This looks pretty good to me.

I actually think Cordy could be the one who surprises with an early selection. Though it is more likely Minson will be given first chance and his aggression could be very important with all our young midfielders.

I nearly put Cordy in. Ayce offers us more long term obviously, I have Will marginally ahead short term but the big thing for me is the lack of senior players, so Will gets the gig.

always right
15-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Based on what I've seen, here are the players who deserve to be picked;

B: Morris, Roughy, Wood
HB: Murphy, Hamling, JJ
C: Jong, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Grant, Redpath, Crameri
F: Stringer, TBoyd, Hunter

R: Cordy, Bonts, Dahlhaus

IC: MBoyd, Picken, Stevens, Daniels

Honeychurch just squeezed out.

LostDoggy
15-03-2015, 09:35 PM
HB: Murphy, Hamling, JaJo
C: Macrae, Wallis, Dahlhaus
HF: Crameri, Redpath, Bontempelli
F: Stringer, Boyd, T., Honeychurch
R: Minson, Jong, Boyd, M.
I/c: Hrovat, Dicko, Stevens, Cordy

Embarrassement of riches really.

1eyedog
15-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Talia at CHB for me. Hamling is not strong enough. He's more suited to the Hargrave role.

bornadog
15-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Talia at CHB for me. Hamling is not strong enough. He's more suited to the Hargrave role.

I tend to agree with this.

Maddog37
16-03-2015, 10:01 AM
You can work around Talia not being a great kick. If he beats one of the oppositions key forwards then that is a very good start.

LostDoggy
16-03-2015, 11:28 AM
JJ looks so close to putting it all together. I don't think he has poor disposal, It's just a decision making/confidence thing for mine. He is exactly what we need so I'm hoping he can get past it.

Having said that, Webb must be a slight chance for a round 1 spot now. With JJ needing confidence, Darley not putting his hand up and Biggs injured. Suddenly there is a spot there for the taking. He was very impressive. Fitness would be the biggest worry, but he really stepped it up in the 4th quarter on Saturday and seemed to run out the game as well as anyone.

Happy Days
16-03-2015, 11:48 AM
You can work around Talia not being a great kick. If he beats one of the oppositions key forwards then that is a very good start.

I don't think his kicking is anywhere as bad as banded around. There's a definite ceiling on how damaging he can be by foot, but he usually takes the most conservative option available; not always a bad thing.

With Dickson being singled out in the presser and Grant *actually* playing well on the weekend, I think they might both get starts. I'm pretty sure Crameri won't be playing, so shouldn't be too hard to facilitate.

I've got Darley ahead of JJ (I thought he was quite poor on the weekend), and Honeychurch has to be close. If Hamling is going to stop any KPF, it's a player like Kennedy (related note - can't wait till we play Hawkins and Cloke.)

Maddog37
16-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I think Darley has improved as a one on one defender and his kicking is better than JJ. I like JJs run alot though as he is just about the only one to break the line.

I have doubts on Hunter at this stage and prefer Honeychurch due to his physicality and more rounded game.

jeemak
16-03-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't think his kicking is anywhere as bad as banded around. There's a definite ceiling on how damaging he can be by foot, but he usually takes the most conservative option available; not always a bad thing.

With Dickson being singled out in the presser and Grant *actually* playing well on the weekend, I think they might both get starts. I'm pretty sure Crameri won't be playing, so shouldn't be too hard to facilitate.

I've got Darley ahead of JJ (I thought he was quite poor on the weekend), and Honeychurch has to be close. If Hamling is going to stop any KPF, it's a player like Kennedy (related note - can't wait till we play Hawkins and Cloke.)

How will we go against Geelong, with Clark and Hawkins to have to worry about!

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-03-2015, 04:46 PM
My updated side

Going with Hamling over Talia. Hrovat is sub to look after him with the injury. If one of Crameri/Hrovat our out I would bring in Honeychurch. If both are out, I'd bring in Dickson as well.

Would like to have another good ball user like Darley but he is just far too 1D for mine atm. I have Caleb Daniel very close to the 22.
I like the look of your team with some minor adjustments. Would prefer Talia or Roberts at CHB and play Hambling in the back pocket as the third big defender, allowing Wood to replace JJ on the back flank. I would also like to see Bontempelli played in the centre to match Priddis and other quality centremen such as Watson, Mitchell and Joel Selwood. Dahlhaus looks better as a half forward flanker allowing Hrovat to play out of the forward pocket.

Cyberdoggie
17-03-2015, 05:38 PM
On the opposition front, it looks like Nic Nat is playing his first game this weekend, so quite likely he will play round 1 against us and give us a few headaches.
Darling is about to resume training but might be unlikely or very underdone for round 1, Selwood also looks like he is ok.

Cyberdoggie
17-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I like the look of your team with some minor adjustments. Would prefer Talia or Roberts at CHB and play Hambling in the back pocket as the third big defender, allowing Wood to replace JJ on the back flank. I would also like to see Bontempelli played in the centre to match Priddis and other quality centremen such as Watson, Mitchell and Joel Selwood. Dahlhaus looks better as a half forward flanker allowing Hrovat to play out of the forward pocket.

As this is a round 1 side I would say Roberts definitely would be available by then, Hrovat would be unlikely and Stevens also may be underdone for match practice if he doesn't play this weekend. That opens up some holes for others.

F'scary
17-03-2015, 08:56 PM
As this is a round 1 side I would say Roberts definitely would be available by then, Hrovat would be unlikely and Stevens also may be underdone for match practice if he doesn't play this weekend. That opens up some holes for others.

We will miss Stevens and Hrovat if they can't play. Who comes in? Does it drop away pretty quickly looking for replacements for those two? Based on Rocco Jones' selections it would be players such as (in my order of prefs) Honeychurch (who would be stiff to miss out anyway after the first 2 NAB Cup matches), Dickson, Darley, Prudden or perhaps Daniel?

bornadog
22-03-2015, 12:02 AM
So after tonight who is out who is in?

azabob
22-03-2015, 12:04 AM
This round one team has been 12 mnths and 1 day in the making! Longest team selection thread ever!

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 12:15 AM
B: Morris, Roughead, JJ
C: Grant, Honeychurch, Macrae
HF: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Picken
F: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
IC: Cordy, M Boyd, Wallis, Goodes (sub)

Edit - forgot Stringer (knew I'd forgotten someone...).

bulldogtragic
22-03-2015, 12:21 AM
C: JJ, Honeychurch, Macrae
HF: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Picken
F: Dickson, T Boyd, Grant
IC: Cordy, M Boyd, Wallis, Goodes (sub)

Crameri & Stringer hard done by?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2015, 12:25 AM
HF: Crameri, T. Boyd, Dickson
I/C: Grant, Cordy, M.Boyd
Sub: Honeychurch

------------

Talia a little unlucky - he has been OK but I don't think we'll need an abundance of key backs v West Coast, and with Redpath (and Cordy) we do have some options. Hamling gets first crack as the CHB who has performed pretty well in the pre-season.

Honeychurch may start with Grant as the sub. I would be fine with either, but I think a player like Grant is better off starting from the first bounce. I think playing two rucks is something Bev will want to do, coming from Hawthorn who did the same, and Cordy is in surprisingly good form and deserves a spot IMO. In the last two games Cordy has shown he can float back/forward too, so the flexibility is a big bonus.

We're pretty tall with the likes of Rough/Hamling/Minson/Cordy/Redpath/Boyd/Cordy and Crameri/Stringer too, but they give us structure and most of them are flexible in that they can play multiple positions. Crameri/Stringer likely to play more midfield minutes as required and one of the talls can be subbed halfway through the third.

Great competition for spots considering that Libba (inj), Hrovat (inj), Hunter (susp.), Stevens, Goodes, Daniel and Darley miss out.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 12:26 AM
So after tonight who is out who is in?

Going to be very hard to leave Hamling, Dickson and Grant out. Redpath is a lock. Tom Boyd is doing a job as the biggest forward.

I would think Ayce and Campbell will start in the VFL. Minson with the T Boyd chop out for ruck. Goodes and Daniel will be stiff to miss but will get opportunities later.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Also, Honeychurch should be a lock for round 1.

F'scary
22-03-2015, 12:36 AM
b: Morris, Roughead, Hamling
hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood
c: Macrae, Wallis, Grant
hf: Crameri, Redpath, Picken
f: Stringer, T Boyd, Dickson
r: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
i: M Boyd, Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, ? (sub)

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Crameri & Stringer hard done by?

Stringer! I just completely forgot him....have amended.

Given Crameri hasn't played yet, and the uncertainty with his situation, I've left him out for now.

Cyberdoggie
22-03-2015, 12:56 AM
Goodes would have to come close with the effort he showed against the pies.
When he gets a bit of freedom to play his game and his confidence is up he's a class player.

jazzadogs
22-03-2015, 01:05 AM
Goodes would have to come close with the effort he showed against the pies.
When he gets a bit of freedom to play his game and his confidence is up he's a class player.

Looks much more fit than in previous seasons as well...Could be a wildcard.

Rocco Jones
22-03-2015, 01:52 AM
b: Morris, Roughead, Wood
hb: Murphy, Talia, JJ
c: Macrae, Wallis, Picken
hf: Crameri, T. Boyd, Dahl
f: Stringer, Redpath, Dickson
r: Minson, Bonts, Jong
i: M. Boyd, Goodes, Grant

If one of Crameri or JJ is/are out, I'd bring in Hamling. If both are out, I'd give Caleb Daniel his debut.

Hotdog60
22-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Under Macca, Goodes mainly played in defence and although early he did well but he soon went off the boil.

In the VFL Goodes played his best football though the centre and up forward and I think he can fill a role playing his natural game.

always right
22-03-2015, 09:53 AM
What a great position to be in going into round one....dare I say it, an embarrassment of riches.

Assuming Crameri doesn't play, there is going to be one very unlucky player who I suspect will be Caleb Daniels. That performance yesterday played Cordy, Grant, Goodes, Honeychurch and Hamling into the 22.

Morris, Roughy, Wood
Boyd, Talia, Murphy
Grant, Wallis, JJ
Picken, Redpath, Dickson
Dahlhaus, Boyd, Stringer

Minson, Bonts, McCrae

Cordy, Hamling, Goodes, Honeychurch

bulldogtragic
22-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Is Hrovat fit?

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Is Hrovat fit?

Can't be now.

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Maybe something like this for me.

Morris, Roughead, Wood
Boyd, Talia, Murphy
Macrae, Wallis, Stevens
Dickson, Redpath, Dahlhaus
Stringer, Boyd, Honeychurch
Minson, Bontempelli, Jong

Goodes, Hamling, Picken, Grant

I can't find a spot for Cordy despite his improved form and I really wish I could.
Darley would be very close for selection given I have dropped Johannisen.
Daniel is close as well and Crameri if available would come straight in for Grant.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Is Hrovat fit?

Did he play VFL yesterday?

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Did he play VFL yesterday?

No, he didn't play yesterday

Go_Dogs
22-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Maybe something like this for me.

Strong side, I'd completely forgotten about Stevens too.

It's going to be a long MC for round 1 - a lot of players who deserve an opportunity and have earned it, but quite a few are going to be unlucky.

always right
22-03-2015, 11:26 AM
By all reports Stevens didn't impress with FOOTSCRAY yesterday. Can't possibly see how he or Hrovat could dislodge anyone who played yesterday, particularly if the coach has Crameri in his plans for round one.

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 11:33 AM
By all reports Stevens didn't impress with FOOTSCRAY yesterday. Can't possibly see how he or Hrovat could dislodge anyone who played yesterday, particularly if the coach has Crameri in his plans for round one.

Stevens will be better for the run and has another week. Against his old side I think he is a chance. JJ's form concerns me.
Agree that if Crameri comes in thing might change a bit

Bulldog4life
22-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Stevens will be better for the run and has another week. Against his old side I think he is a chance. JJ's form concerns me.
Agree that if Crameri comes in thing might change a bit

On Darley's form yesterday GVG he is a chance to replace JJ?

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 11:40 AM
On Darley's form yesterday GVG he is a chance to replace JJ?

Darley doesn't have JJ's flair but uses the ball a bit better. JJ should be ahead of him but it's close.
JJ is just undoing some great run with poor disposal.

jazzadogs
22-03-2015, 11:52 AM
How does everyone feel about Crameri coming straight into round one without any full match play under his belt?
Despite his obvious talent and fitness, it's still a massive leap to come straight into a full length AFL game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the sub/planned to be subbed out, or plays with Footscray for a week or two.

always right
22-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I'd select Crameri. He has amazing aerobic fitness and the mismatches he would help create up forward may offset any performance concerns around lack of match fitness.

GVGjr
22-03-2015, 01:43 PM
How does everyone feel about Crameri coming straight into round one without any full match play under his belt?
Despite his obvious talent and fitness, it's still a massive leap to come straight into a full length AFL game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the sub/planned to be subbed out, or plays with Footscray for a week or two.

It's not an easy call but I'd nearly run with it. I guess the form that both Grant and Dickson displayed last night might mean we could wait. The problem being that the first Footscray game isn't until 18th of April. I'm not sure what their schedule is for practice games.

bornadog
22-03-2015, 06:29 PM
It's not an easy call but I'd nearly run with it. I guess the form that both Grant and Dickson displayed last night might mean we could wait. The problem being that the first Footscray game isn't until 18th of April. I'm not sure what their schedule is for practice games.

VFL Practise matches:

Saturday 28 March
2:00pm vs North Ballarat
Eureka Stadium

Saturday 4 April
11:00am vs Geelong
Simonds Stadium

Saturday 11 April
10:00am vs Richmond
Punt Rd Oval

jazzadogs
22-03-2015, 06:33 PM

I guess a lot of it depends on when he is actually able to play as well. If he can play from round one, it is probably a 50-50 call. If it is delayed at all, and he can't play competitive football for longer, then I would say he certainly has to come in via the VFL. Particularly if Grant/Dickson/Honeychurch/Goodes etc keep playing like they did last night.

G-Mo77
22-03-2015, 08:23 PM

I'd be inclined to bring him through the VFL. It's a tough one though.

SlimPickens
22-03-2015, 08:40 PM
VFL Practise matches:

Saturday 28 March
2:00pm vs North Ballarat
Eureka Stadium

Saturday 4 April
11:00am vs Geelong
Simonds Stadium

Saturday 11 April
10:00am vs Richmond
Punt Rd Oval

No AFL listed players will play against North Ballarat

Rocco Jones
22-03-2015, 09:37 PM
No AFL listed players will play against North Ballarat

I believe players who miss NAB Challenge games due to injury can get permission to play. Hrovat and Fletcher Roberts are two that spring to mind.

LostDoggy
23-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Against the Pies we played Minson, Cordy. Redpath, T.Boyd, Roughead, Talia & Hamling. Whilst is worked a treat with 4 on the bench and 2 subs, I still doubt we can play all of the previously mentioned with just 3 on the pine and 1 sub.

Roughy, Talia, Hamling can all play. Hamling has already showed great flexibility and is ideal to play on the 3rd tall types. Morris can be left to take the resting gun midfielder/dangerous small.

I'm not sure the other 4 can all play though. It would probably work if we had no injuries and could sub one off half way through the third quarter. But we all know it's not as simple as that.

I guess it brings up the question, do we just need to keep playing T.Boyd even though with Cordy's form he may not be best 22 currently?

bornadog
23-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Against the Pies we played Minson, Cordy. Redpath, T.Boyd, Roughead, Talia & Hamling. Whilst is worked a treat with 4 on the bench and 2 subs, I still doubt we can play all of the previously mentioned with just 3 on the pine and 1 sub.

Roughy, Talia, Hamling can all play. Hamling has already showed great flexibility and is ideal to play on the 3rd tall types. Morris can be left to take the resting gun midfielder/dangerous small.

I'm not sure the other 4 can all play though. It would probably work if we had no injuries and could sub one off half way through the third quarter. But we all know it's not as simple as that.

I guess it brings up the question, do we just need to keep playing T.Boyd even though with Cordy's form he may not be best 22 currently?

Spine - Roughead, Talia, Wallis, Redpath, Boyd
Rucks, Minson, Cordy
3rd Tall Hamling?

Maybe, but I think one will miss out.

azabob
23-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Good question Jaytee, I think Boyd has to play. Cordy & Redpath are fighting for 2nd ruck spot and Minson and Campbell are fighting for the number one ruck spot.

bornadog
23-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Good question Jaytee, I think Boyd has to play. Cordy & Redpath are fighting for 2nd ruck spot and Minson and Campbell are fighting for the number one ruck spot.

I don't think he is ready for challenging number one just yet. Minson showed on Saturday, he is still number one. In fact Cordy is ahead of Campbell.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I would be against playing Crameri on the fact that he hasn't played a game since last August.
That is different from being out for a few weeks then coming back mid-season, he's effectively been out for 6 months.

We showed on the weekend that we have a few options for high half forwards and they should be rewarded.

always right
23-03-2015, 02:30 PM

I don't think Cordy and Redpath are fighting for the 2nd ruck spot. Redpath has the CHF spot locked in.....it's just a matter of whether we go in with Cordy or get Boyd and Redpath to support Will.

Unless I misunderstood your point, which is quite possible. It sounded like one of Cordy or Redpath will miss out altogether.

divvydan
23-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Boyd has to play because without him Redpath would get the best defender and I don't think Redpath is good enough to beat that defender. All the games that Redpath has gone well in (Rich, Intraclub, Coll), Boyd has been there and the game Redpath struggled in (Melb), Boyd was missing.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2015, 02:54 PM
I lot might rest on the team the Weagles select as well.
I can't remember Minson ever really doing well against Natanui and he seems to be ready to go after playing 75% of the weekends game. Lycett might also play, but the weagles look a little light on for defenders due to injuries so Redpath, Boyd will be important to take advantage of that. I think Ayce will miss out and these two will be backup ruck options.

Kennedy looks to be in good form as well and we all know how he can destroy us. No Darling so that will make it easier but we will need a defender that has enough pace, height, reach and athleticism to go with Kennedy. I think Hamling needs to play.
Morris is too small and not quick enough to match it with him these days, Roughead and Talia too slow.
Unless we hope our team orientated defence can make up for those shortcomings, Hamling might be the only one who could go with Kennedy on a lead and be able to spoil.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Some of our players will be playing this weekend for Footscray with a possible chance to make the round 1 team:
Fletcher Roberts, Koby Stevens, Nathan Hrovat, Tom Campbell, Lachie Hunter.

F'scary
26-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Some of our players will be playing this weekend for Footscray with a possible chance to make the round 1 team:
Fletcher Roberts, Koby Stevens, Nathan Hrovat, Tom Campbell, Lachie Hunter.

It will be hard for any of them to displace those who played in the NAB Cup win against the 'Pies. I would have thought that Hrovat would be the most likely customer for a spot in the starting 22 for round 1. But I don't know for whom. One of the most obvious candidates, Honeychurch, has earned a start in round 1, in my opinion.

LostDoggy
27-03-2015, 12:03 PM
It will be hard for any of them to displace those who played in the NAB Cup win against the 'Pies. I would have thought that Hrovat would be the most likely customer for a spot in the starting 22 for round 1. But I don't know for whom. One of the most obvious candidates, Honeychurch, has earned a start in round 1, in my opinion.

Maybe the bigger bodied Koby for a bit of extra muscle and grunt work around the contested ball?
Don't know who misses out though after the filth thrashing?

GVGjr
28-03-2015, 09:07 AM
It's hard to see any significant changes from team selected in our game against Collingwood and then our first round clash with West Coast but it's encouraging to think that we soon have the likes of Hrovat, Stevens, Hunter, Smith, Roberts and Biggs available for senior selection.

Competition for spots will keep the players focused on making the most of their chances. We might lack a few star players that other teams enjoy but we still have a decent list of emerging players.

I'm very much looking at the first few rounds of the season and seeing which players stand up.

kruder
28-03-2015, 12:56 PM
What are peoples thoughts on Hamling V Talia? Hamling looks like a natural footballer who can play tall where Talia(not sure he is AFL standard) looks like an athlete playing football who looks to be better suited on playing on mid sized/small types.

West Coast forward line will be Tall with a resting ruckman and if we take it on face value that Morris won't play on the gorilla forward then its Hamling over Talia for mine.

F'scary
28-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Boyd has to play because without him Redpath would get the best defender and I don't think Redpath is good enough to beat that defender. All the games that Redpath has gone well in (Rich, Intraclub, Coll), Boyd has been there and the game Redpath struggled in (Melb), Boyd was missing.

The double-act is reason enough to play them both, but Boyd has been doing enough to be selected on merit anyway and he is only going to get better and better.

Go_Dogs
28-03-2015, 01:21 PM
it's encouraging to think that we soon have the likes of Hrovat, Stevens, Hunter, Smith, Roberts and Biggs available for senior selection.

It's hard enough to pick a 22 for round 1 at the moment, and considering the above, along with Crameri who is a certainty when able to play, we have a lot of players who deserve a spot. This demonstrates our depth is improving.

Whilst we're not quite where the better sides are at, we should be confident we have about 32-34 blokes who could play any given week and do their bit for the team.

Webby
28-03-2015, 01:35 PM
What are peoples thoughts on Hamling V Talia? Hamling looks like a natural footballer who can play tall where Talia(not sure he is AFL standard) looks like an athlete playing football who looks to be better suited on playing on mid sized/small types.

West Coast forward line will be Tall with a resting ruckman and if we take it on face value that Morris won't play on the gorilla forward then its Hamling over Talia for mine.

I think there's room for both of them. They're different types. However I must say that both their kicking skills are poor. Good sides will try to exploit that. Hopefully they'll improve. Hamling's poses more of a like for like option to Roberts. He's more athletic than Roberts and better in a contest, but Robert's' kicking is better.

It can't be a bad thing to have three tall defenders competing for spots.

F'scary
28-03-2015, 07:23 PM

I was so impressed with Hamlet's game against the 'pies that I'd be going with Roughead, Talia and him in the backline.

Something like:

hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood.

GVGjr
28-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Who are the likely candidates for the sub role against West Coast?

boydogs
28-03-2015, 08:24 PM
I was so impressed with Hamlet's game against the 'pies that I'd be going with Roughead, Talia and him in the backline.

Something like:

hb: Murphy, Talia, Wood.

I tend to agree, especially against West Coast. Either M Boyd can come off the bench, or play midfield and we play JJ

Honeychurch, Jong, Hunter, Stevens, Hrovat

F'scary
28-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Squad selected for the NAB Cup match against Collingwood.

Western Bulldogs
1. Jarrad Grant 2. Robert Murphy 3. Mitch Wallis 4. Marcus Bontempelli 4. Matthew Boyd 6. Luke Dahlhaus 9. Jake Stringer 10. Easton Wood 11. Jack Macrae 15. Tom Campbell 17. Tom Boyd 22. Mitch Honeychurch 23. Jordan Roughead 25. Koby Stevens 27. Will Minson 29. Tory Dickson 30. Joel Hamling 32. Michael Talia 33. Sam Darley 35. Caleb Daniel 38. Dale Morris 39. Jason Johannisen 42. Liam Picken 43. Jack Redpath 44. Brett Goodes 46. Lin Jong 49. Ayce Cordy

27 Players

My thoughts on who misses from that squad: Campbell, Darley, Goodes, Cordy, Stevens. Stevens and Darley didn't play, so a case of bad luck for them but it was a strong performance and a win, so hard to break in.

Cordy and Goodes both played well, so will be stiff to miss out but in Cordy's case (& Campbell), I think Minno with Boyd can cover the ruck. Goodes is just unlucky.

Players not named in that squad will have to fight their way back in due to the strong performance of the team in that NAB Cup match. Dickson and Grant played too well to have to make way for Crameri and Hrovat. I suppose JJ would be the vulnerable one since he didn't take much part in the game, however, his pace gives us another dimension.

To answer, GVGjr's question, very tempting to make Caleb Daniel the sub. Him or JJ.

1eyedog
28-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Not JJ I think he needs to work his way into a game. He's not the type of player to come on and make an immediate impact. Hrovat, Honeychurch and Daniel are.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Not JJ I think he needs to work his way into a game. He's not the type of player to come on and make an immediate impact. Hrovat, Honeychurch and Daniel are.

Could Goodes be a candidate for the sub role?

Go_Dogs
29-03-2015, 10:02 AM
My final effort before round 1.

HB: Murphy, Talia, Johannisen
C: Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Macrae
HF: Grant, Redpath, Stringer
F: Dickson, T Boyd, Picken
I/C: M Boyd, Hamling, Wallis, Goodes (sub)

Unluckies:
Cordy (must be close to selection)
Daniel (as above)
Hrovat (another week in the VFL, perhaps)
Hunter (not in line for round 1, but should be back shortly)
Stevens (unsure exactly where he's at, but given didn't play against Collingwood, I haven't selected him)
Darley (another who is close, and could come in if his VFL form is solid early)
Crameri (unknown, but even if free to play, think a VFL game might be the go first)

Rocco Jones
29-03-2015, 11:54 AM
C: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Grant, Redpath, Crameri
I/C: M.Boyd, Picken, JJ

I think Crameri is still in our best 22 even without playing. His fitness is strong and offers our forward line flexibility. If he is suspended, I would bring in Goodes.

kruder
29-03-2015, 12:24 PM

I fear it could be Grant but I'm suspecting Luke is smarter than that. The kid is a confidence player its so obvious he desevres a spot in the starting line up for mine and I have my fingers crossed!

I'd say Honey at this stage with Stevens and Goodes fighting for the final spot in the midfield. I read on bigfooty that Stevens was excellent yesterday so would have to be a close call between the two.

F'scary
29-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Following on from my last post (I hope this is consistent), I am going with the premise that Bevo has to stick with the winning team.

c: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
hf: Grant, Redpath, Picken
f: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
i: M Boyd, Honeychurch, Johannisen, Daniel (sub)
e: Goodes, A Cordy, Stevens

JJ perhaps lucky to pip Goodes but he gives us a pacey option off the bench.

F'scary
29-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Hey, and this year it looks like we have a spine!

whythelongface
29-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Following on from my last post (I hope this is consistent), I am going with the premise that Bevo has to stick with the winning team.

c: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
hf: Grant, Redpath, Picken
f: Dickson, T Boyd, Stringer
i: M Boyd, Honeychurch, Johannisen, Daniel (sub)
e: Goodes, A Cordy, Stevens

As good as Daniel has been for a debutant do you think he will be ahead of Hrovat and Hunter in the pecking order? I think that the Rat will get a call up for the 1st game especially since, as reported, he had a good game yesterday.

bulldogtragic
29-03-2015, 08:28 PM
I think Wood might be a good sub for the game. I'd like to see a genuine runner start off the HBF. As the game slows, his big frame, run and long kicking could be more valuable.

Smith, Crameri & Hrovat coming into some above (and Libba next year). The future is bright, but the season is long. But I hope we are given a ride this year as members.

F'scary
29-03-2015, 09:17 PM
As good as Daniel has been for a debutant do you think he will be ahead of Hrovat and Hunter in the pecking order? I think that the Rat will get a call up for the 1st game especially since, as reported, he had a good game yesterday.

Fair enough, WTLF, I was sticking with the premise that players in the successful NAB Cup match against Coll will have to be displaced. But that is not the only way to approach picking the side and I am reading reports that Hrovat and Stevens were good yesterday. I am a big wrap for Hrovat in particular. I thought Daniel was close to sensational in the quarter and a bit that he played against the pies. I reckon he is going to be one of the biggest stars going round within 3 years.

Before I Die
29-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Here is my attempt after watching the NAB games and reading the review of the Footscray game.

HB: Murphy, Hamling, M. Boyd
C: Dahlhaus, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Grant, Redpath, Picken
I/C: Stevens, Goodes, Cordy

I think we will need Stevens' battle hardened body in the midfield. Hrovat if fit is ahead of Honeychurch and Daniel. I have to admit I am not convinced by Honeychurch just yet. I think he will make it, but at the moment it is all desperation and no polish. The controversial pick is Cordy. I believe he has shown enough in the pre-season to prove his value around the ground. He is starting to take marks and he is very clean below his knees and with the ball in hand. Plus he has shown he can go back or forward. Talia reads the play well but he really struggles when the ball is on the ground. Roughead and Tamling have shown they are very good against the high ball and the mids will need to make sure they don't allow the opposition time to hit up leading targets. if we need more height coverage down back during the game then Stringer, Redpath and Cordy should be able to provide it between them. JJ is a little unlucky, but I think we have the run from defence covered without him and he needs to start hitting more targets.

I am assuming Crameri will not play due to the ASADA decision or lack of match fitness.

GVGjr
29-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Talia's a bit stiff not to be selected BID. I think we need to give either him or Roberts a decent run at senior selections this year

F'scary
29-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I just had a look at the WCE supporters blog and the AFL Season Preview article on WCE. There appears to be only 2 talls in their forward line, Lycett and Kennedy. Their supporters tend to go with playing 3 tall backs, Brown, McGovern & Schofield. Perhaps this is in recognition of the fact we have three tall marking forwards in Tom Boyd, Redpath and Stringer. However, they may switch one of these three to a key forward spot as NicNat has had a restricted preseason and will most likely need help from Lycett, changing in the forward pocket.

This opens up the issue of whether both Hamling & Talia are selected, especially since Darling will not play. If WCE go with, say, CHF: McGovern, FF: Kennedy, FP: Lycett (changing with Naitanui), can we go back to Morris as the third tall or do we include both Hamling and Talia?

Before I Die
29-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Talia's a bit stiff not to be selected BID. I think we need to give either him or Roberts a decent run at senior selections this year

I agree that we need to give someone a decent run at CHB. At the moment, for me, that someone is Hamling. Though I think it is more likely that the MC will select Talia and not Cordy. If I was making the decision I would reward Cordy's pre-season form.

bornadog
30-03-2015, 12:13 AM
I agree that we need to give someone a decent run at CHB. At the moment, for me, that someone is Hamling. Though I think it is more likely that the MC will select Talia and not Cordy. If I was making the decision I would reward Cordy's pre-season form.

I don't believe Hamling is a KPP at this stage. He just doesn't have the body strength. I can see both Talia and Hamling playing.

1eyedog
30-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Yep Talia has to play. Hamling is a Dustin Fletcher type and cannot play on big CHFs yet.

1eyedog
30-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Could Goodes be a candidate for the sub role?

Absolutely another good candidate.

The Underdog
30-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Here's mine

HB: Murphy, Talia, M. Boyd
C: Grant, Wallis, Jong
HF: Dickson, Redpath, Dahlhaus
F: Picken, T.Boyd, Stringer
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Macrae
Int: Wood, Honeychurch, Johanissen, Hrovat (Sub)
Emg: Stevens, Goodes, Crameri

Think the team stays relatively the same as last week, although with the reduction in bench from the NAB Challenge can't find spots for Cordy, Goodes or Daniel. Pretty close run thing for a bench spot between Honeychurch, Goodes, Stevens, Daniel, Jong, Grant, Dickson, JJ and even Darley.
Could also see them opting for a smaller defender and some run over Hamling but expect he'll get the opportunity to prove himself.
Whichever way the ruling goes, I think Crameri needs some game time at VFL level. If Hrovat is fit I like him a lot as the sub, although Stevens or Goodes would work also. Certainly tight for spots. Interested to see if JJ is ok after the clash with Grant last week. I've loved his run in the pre-season, his disposal...not so much.

Ozza
31-03-2015, 09:51 AM
B: Morris; Roughead; Hamling
HB: Murphy; Talia; Wood
C: Macrae; Bontempelli; M.Boyd
HF: Picken; Redpath; Dahlhaus
F: Dickson; T.Boyd; Stringer
R: Minson; Jong; Wallis
Int: Grant; Goodes; Hrovat
Sub: C.Daniel
Emerg; Cordy; Honeychurch; Stevens

Just some question marks around the absolute rock hard fitness of Stevens at this stage. I don't think we could take both him and Hrovat in after they've missed some footy. JJ, Honeychurch and Cordy unlucky.

Cyberdoggie
31-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Just some question marks around the absolute rock hard fitness of Stevens at this stage. I don't think we could take both him and Hrovat in after they've missed some footy. JJ, Honeychurch and Cordy unlucky.

I think honey or Hrovat might be the sub, Daniel and Stevens to miss out.
The other question mark is if we go for the four tall defenders, plus Wood, Murphy.
The Weagles won't have Darling but will have Nic Nat/Lycett, Kennedy and possibly a youngster to fill in for Darling like Nelson.
So in summary they aren't as strong in the talls as they normally are against us.
No Cox, no Darling. Theoretically Roughead to go to Nic Nat or Lycett, Talia on Kennedy (or vice versa), that gives Morris an easier job on the third tall if they play one. Hamling then doesn't really have a match up. We still have Wood who can play tallish, and we have to cover the dangerous LeCras and at the same time let Murhpy loose with some freedom to create.
This could mean that JJ comes in for Hamling, or if we play Boyd back then another midfielder in like Stevens or Daniel.

I think we will win this game as I think we are cherry ripe and I have my doubts over the Weagles, will probably be close though, could see us trying to hold on to an early lead.

kruder
31-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I think Wood might be a good sub for the game. I'd like to see a genuine runner start off the HBF. As the game slows, his big frame, run and long kicking could be more valuable.

Smith, Crameri & Hrovat coming into some above (and Libba next year). The future is bright, but the season is long. But I hope we are given a ride this year as members.

Wood is a starting 18 player with his eyes close.

Mofra
31-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Crammers comes straight back in form mine.
Boyd & Redpath & Stringer & Bonti in the forwardline at times means there is no way in hell he gets the no 1 or 2 forward. Give him some touch against a WCE line up missing their best KPDs

Remi Moses
31-03-2015, 05:09 PM

I'd have the Honey in for Hrovat ( needs more game time)

Ozza
31-03-2015, 05:26 PM
For the record - I probably wouldn't put Crameri straight in for round 1.
Match fitness can only really be obtained from playing matches - and I'd like to see him get at least one game under his belt.

LostDoggy
31-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the enormous emotional toll today's verdict would be taking on Cramers. He felt strongly enough about the saga to leave his club, he has finally been granted the relief (hopefully not temporarily) of a not guilty verdict and I think it would be very prudent for Bevo and the MC to sit down with Stew to see where his head is at. He could realistically land on either end of the spectrum if he plays against the Eagles — he might put in an absolute shocker, and nobody could blame him; or he just might play like a man with the shackles released and kick a dozen.

I'd be surprised if this chat hasn't already been had, and the different scenarios (guilty, not guilty, etc) already laid out.

I'm happy with either option as long as Cramers' is OK, TBH.

Ozza
31-03-2015, 05:52 PM
The way Monty spoke about Crameri, and the difficulty of getting sufficient match practice-type load into him, about 2-3 weeks ago, to me, would suggest he is long odds to be considered for round 1.

chef
31-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Agree, no passengers for round 1.

Crameri has got to play a couple at Footscray first.

GVGjr
31-03-2015, 07:28 PM
While I think Crameri needs one game at Footscray, Essendon will be playing about 12 players or more without any pre-season games.

LostDoggy
31-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Crameri comes straight in for mine. He is quality and we need quality. Should Gold Coast not play Ablett because he hasn't played any NAB games? Sydney and Franklin? St Kilda and N Roo?

He hasn't missed a beat all season and is ready to go.

F'scary
31-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Whoever is picked for Round 1, it is certainly a pleasing position to be in where preseason form has been reasonable and there is real competition for at least 6 of the 22 positions.

I think there should be acknowledgment of players like Jong, Redpath, Dickson, Grant, Honeychurch, Goodes, Hamling and Talia for putting their hands up so strongly for selection. They are the ones who have really turned our list around in such a short time.

F'scary
01-04-2015, 07:52 AM
News.Com has Crameri down as a certainty for selection.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/stewart-crameri-cleared-by-anti-doping-tribunal-will-play-for-western-bulldogs-in-round-1/story-fndv8weh-1227286631165

Haven't really thought through who makes way for him from the NAB Cup team which trashed the 'pies but Goodes, Honeychurch, Dickson, Grant & JJ seem to be the obvious suspects.

Hrovat and Stevens would be the other two putting pressure on for inclusion.

always right
01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I suspect Cordy may be a casualty of Crameri's inclusion. One tall forward too many.

Cyberdoggie
01-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't understand how a guy how has had zero match practice for over six months can suddenly play round 1.
Doesn't really send the right signals to the other guys in the team that have been busting their rears through the NAB series to gain favour. So if your name is Crameri or Boyd you get automatic selection?
Surely they should give him a game with Footscray and have him play the following week if he's right.
Why expose him to the most demanding game of the season (jump in fitness level) with no practice games to get him up to that level. He will either by completely underdone and blowout, or he will get injured because his body isn't hasn't had any match practice.

I could only see someone like Dickson being dropped for Crameri, which is a shame because he was very good last week and deserves a game, I think he would be a handful for the WCE defenders.

Mofra
01-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I'd expect one of Grant or Dickson would make way for him given Crammers plays the high forward role quite well.
I think Cordy won't play if we pick Boyd & Redpath as expected.

Stevens & Hrovat are the interesting ones for me.

Ozza
01-04-2015, 12:37 PM
I don't understand how a guy how has had zero match practice for over six months can suddenly play round 1.
Doesn't really send the right signals to the other guys in the team that have been busting their rears through the NAB series to gain favour. So if your name is Crameri or Boyd you get automatic selection?
Surely they should give him a game with Footscray and have him play the following week if he's right.
Why expose him to the most demanding game of the season (jump in fitness level) with no practice games to get him up to that level. He will either by completely underdone and blowout, or he will get injured because his body isn't hasn't had any match practice.

I could only see someone like Dickson being dropped for Crameri, which is a shame because he was very good last week and deserves a game, I think he would be a handful for the WCE defenders.

Completely agree. I know he has done the whole pre-season - but as anyone who's played footy at any level knows - you really have to have played matches, to get that hardened match fitness. I don't care how much of a natural athlete Crameri is, you've got to have had a couple of hit outs where you are doing the match type of running, second efforts, being tackled and bumped - and even just getting your timing and feel for the game. I think if we were talking about a player type, in an area of the ground where we are seriously lacking - then it is maybe a different story (say Roughead in defence and playing against a tall forward line). But Crameri's role is similar to what Dickson, Stringer and Grant are bringing to the table - so I don't see the need to push him into the frame for round 1 to be as great.

kruder
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM

He is one player out of the 22 surely we can take a risk? He is a top 10 player at the club, natural athlete and its not like he is coming off significant injury. He has trained the house down from all reports and deserves a spot round 1.

bornadog
01-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Round 23 2014 - Who is gone or out for Season

Ryan Griffen

Matthew Boyd

Robert Murphy

Nathan Hrovat

Liam Picken

Daniel Giansiracusa

Adam Cooney

Jason Johannisen

Jackson Macrae

Thomas Liberatore

Marcus Bontempelli

Luke Dahlhaus

Shaun Higgins

Stewart Crameri

Dale Morris

Jake Stringer

Will Minson

Thomas Young

Koby Stevens

Tom Campbell

Fletcher Roberts

Mark Austin

6 players gone plus Libba out, so will be a very different team lining up for round one.

For me Crameri should play as we are very inexperienced, even though he is under done. Perhaps he can be the sub.

From the list above, Stevens, Hrovat, are under done, Campbell and Roberts are still not ready, and not sure on JJ after missing most of the game last week.

whythelongface
01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Crameri straight back in for mine. Yes he hasn't played any of the pre-season trials and is lacking that match fitness but this shouldn't impact his performance at this stage of the season. Maybe if he was coming back from a long term injury then yes bring him back through the VFL, but he is arguably one of our top 3 players (and best forward) and it is imperative that he is slotted in the forward line immediately. He will provide an important attacking option against the West Coast that will work well with Boyd, Redpath and Stringer.

bornadog
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
For those that missed it. Good preview of the team for 2015:

https://youtu.be/RUd0Cse1aAA

F'scary
01-04-2015, 02:23 PM

Agree with your sentiment. They might apply special consideration due to the nature of his absence (hasn't been injury) and team mates might be more accepting, especially since he was our leading goal kicker last season and probably in our best 8 players (he finished 8th in the B&F in 2014).

It doesn't have to be Dickson that goes out - I think he should be a lock for the small FP role given his preseason form. For example:

b: Morris, Roughead, Picken (revert back to more usual position)
hf: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Crameri
i: M Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch, Hrovat (sub)
e: Hamling, Goodes, Stevens

(Hamling omitted on the basis of Murphy's recent statement to the effect that there will only be three tall backs and if Morris is in the team, Morris is the third tall back - sorry can't find citation)

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Agree with your sentiment. They might apply special consideration due to the nature of his absence (hasn't been injury) and team mates might be more accepting, especially since he was our leading goal kicker last season and probably in our best 8 players.

It doesn't have to be Dickson that goes out - I think he should be a lock for the small FP role given his preseason form. For example:

b: Morris, Roughead, Picken (revert back to more usual position)
hf: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Crameri
i: M Boyd, JJ, Honeychurch, Hrovat (sub)
e: Hamling, Goodes, Stevens

(Hamling omitted on the basis of Murphy's recent statement to the effect that there will only be three tall backs and if Morris is in the team, Morris is the third tall back - sorry can't find citation)

Just cannot see Picken going back to small defender, when he has been trialled almost exclusively forward and his contribution has been probably looking the best of his career.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Just cannot see Picken going back to small defender, when he has been trialled almost exclusively forward and his contribution has been probably looking the best of his career.

He seemed to get a number of his kicks in the backline against Collingwood.

F'scary
01-04-2015, 02:33 PM

Fair enough - another variation would be Picken to FP/mid rotation, JJ to back pocket, Dickson bench/forward.

F'scary
01-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Also, while Picken has shown, in typical fashion, that he adapts readily enough to playing an effective forward role (with a defensive emphasis), he has been great in the past in defence (bar a slow start to 2013) and as a midfield tagger.

boydogs
01-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Still pretty ambiguous, you could argue Morris isn't really a tall these days

always right
01-04-2015, 04:11 PM
He seemed to get a number of his kicks in the backline against Collingwood.

Picken went back into defence when JJ was substituted after his clash with Jarryd (the crusher) Grant.

I think we'll see Picken play a variety of roles this year but expect him to start up forward this Saturday...may even play a defensive forward role on Hurn.

bornadog
01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Picken went back into defence when JJ was substituted after his clash with Jarryd (the crusher) Grant.

I think we'll see Picken play a variety of roles this year but expect him to start up forward this Saturday...may even play a defensive forward role on Hurn.

Sat next to him last week at the season launch and asked him where he will play. He said the coach wants everyone to be flexible, so will depend on match-ups, so your analysis is spot on.

F'scary
01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Still pretty ambiguous, you could argue Morris isn't really a tall these days

Got say, I like what I saw of Hamlet in the NAB Cup, he's very versatile.

Axe Man
01-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Competition on the club website:

Go into the draw to win a 2015 Western Bulldogs team-signed football, simply by selecting the team - in their correct positions - as they will line-up to the West Coast Eagles in Round 1.

Who starts in the middle? Who gets the green subs vest? Select your team now, and go into the draw to win.

Entries close 6:00pm Thursday 2 April, 2015.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/best22)

GVGjr
01-04-2015, 07:28 PM

He's had a great training period and while I would prefer to have at least one game behind him I can see why we might select him

How many players will Essendon field that are in a similar situation to Crameri?

bulldogtragic
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
He's had a great training period and while I would prefer to have at least one game behind him I can see why we might select him

How many players will Essendon field that are in a similar situation to Crameri?

Yep. Why couldn't we play him out of the square with Boyd? I'm sure that'd be better for him than killing at levels below.

boydogs
01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Interesting tidbit from Mitch Wallis that he will not be a tagger anymore

Bulldog Revolution
02-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Interesting tidbit from Mitch Wallis that he will not be a tagger anymore

Do you think thats about mindset and recalibrating him back to winning more of the footy and having an impact the other way?

LostDoggy
02-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Noticed Hamling and CD not training today in what looks a fairly robust session, this all but rules them out for contention Saturday.

LostDoggy
02-04-2015, 01:59 PM
While I think Crameri needs one game at Footscray, Essendon will be playing about 12 players or more without any pre-season games.

That's unavoidable on Essendon's part. We have the luxury of choice in this area where they don't. I get your point that not having played a pre-season game doesn't mean Crameri can't play, the real question is merely whether he should.