PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Roberts?

mjp
31-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Have Foxtel made a bad choice here?

When Foxtel announced he was going to be working for the Fox Footy network I was excited as it brought back memories of him working for channel 7 years ago. I remember Roberts commentating and thought it was a good idea.

He seems to really be struggling to understand the game/what is going on. When he adds 'special comments' they seem to be negative ones and it really is not helping me either understand what is happening or enjoy the footy.

Has anyone else noticed any of this or is it just me?

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2014, 01:59 AM
He hasn't added much.

I too was excited to hear about him returning, but I am disappointed it hasn't been in a play-by-play commentary position. He's no analyst.

(I have missed a fair few games already this year, so maybe he is commentating? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

jeemak
31-03-2014, 02:09 AM
I can't think of anything more counter productive when it comes to calling football than adding Sandy Roberts to the fold.

The only comparison I can make, is having Bruce commentate without rest across all Channel 7 games and then showing a replay where only Bruce's comments come through on the recording.

boydogs
31-03-2014, 02:18 AM
I noticed he called Stringer after he was subbed off then got McDonald wrong straight afterwards. May have just been away from the game for a while

Remi Moses
31-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Did anyone hear Dan from Droop st Lonergan post game?
I thought we got beat by 30 goals listening to him.
Made a massive blunder not picking up Aish .
He could at least wait until Bontempelli's played a game .
Reckons losing doesn't mean much when you hear Mccartney's post match pressers.
That's nonsense.
Reckons way to much Geelong influence down the club!
Well bugger me Dan, why wouldn't you want some intel from a side who has won 3 flags in 7 years!
Said some stuff I agreed with in regards to better kicks and some outside run , but he isn't glass half empty he's glass with no water in it .

Remi Moses
31-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Just on topic Sandy's past his use buy date

boydogs
31-03-2014, 04:03 AM
Reckons losing doesn't mean much when you hear Mccartney's post match pressers.

I do agree with that, trying too hard to explain to everyone where we are at and not showing enough disappointment at not winning on the day

Hotdog60
31-03-2014, 09:38 AM
I do agree with that, trying too hard to explain to everyone where we are at and not showing enough disappointment at not winning on the day

It would be interesting to see his reactions in the rooms. I think he is just one of the those controlled type people so there will little difference in his reactions win or loose.

bornadog
31-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Sandy has not brought anything to the Foxtel coverage and is really struggling at the moment. I have not enjoyed him one bit.

bulldogtragic
31-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Sandy has not brought anything to the Foxtel coverage and is really struggling at the moment. I have not enjoyed him one bit.

There's not too many commentators that I like on TV coverage. If it's BT, Bruce or Sandy I would choose Sandy.

Doc26
31-03-2014, 11:23 AM

On the positive side, I do find his tone far less aggravating than Dwayne's and Matthew Campbell's. With that said, Fox Footy's football team are largely an atrocious bunch, with muting often a more palatable option. What is Andrew Gaze's connection to AFL anyway, other than representing yet another stuck up Hawthorn supporter in the AFL media ?

Ozza
31-03-2014, 11:32 AM

Did you watch yesterday's press conference?

The disappointment of losing was very clear. But unlike, say, a Brad Scott if he had lost - Macca doesn't have a big sook, carry on like a child and sulk about it publically. I don't know what you expect him to do in the press conferences.

Twodogs
31-03-2014, 11:55 AM
TBH I don't really pay much attention to the commentators in our games. Maybe if I'm watching a game between other teams..

Twodogs
31-03-2014, 11:58 AM
On the positive side, I do find his tone far less aggravating than Dwayne's and Matthew Campbell's. With that said, Fox Footy's football team are largely an atrocious bunch, with muting often a more palatable option. What is Andrew Gaze's connection to AFL anyway, other than representing yet another stuck up Hawthorn supporter in the AFL media ?

He's a Hawthorn supporter is he? I don't think he's ever mentioned it.

1eyedog
31-03-2014, 12:34 PM
The issue I have with Sandy is that he doesn't really offer anything of interest other than to state what is bleedingly obvious. Many of his comments would be exactly what people are thinking watching the game on mute.

Remi Moses
31-03-2014, 01:57 PM

The disappointment of losing was very clear. But unlike, say, a Brad Scott if he had lost - Macca doesn't have a big sook, carry on like a child and sulk about it publically. I don't know what you expect him to do in the press conferences.
This^^ and I rather a coach who doesn't rant and rave ( mick) or waffle on about side issues ( brad Scott)

boydogs
31-03-2014, 03:22 PM

No not yesterdays. Just a general observation that he prefers to talk about the development of the side rather than what happened on the field

ReLoad
31-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Sandy is a great reason as to why channel seven didn't broadcast in HD, seeing him in HD scares the kids and makes the puppy cry.

He is looking more like a leather handbag as each day passes!

Remi Moses
31-03-2014, 06:34 PM
No not yesterdays. Just a general observation that he prefers to talk about the development of the side rather than what happened on the field

What would you like him to say?
Carry on like a sook? Perhaps treat the journos like they're 3 year olds?
Lambast the players? The club is in development mode and the days of ranting from a coach are rare.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Sandy is a great reason as to why channel seven didn't broadcast in HD, seeing him in HD scares the kids and makes the puppy cry.

He is looking more like a leather handbag as each day passes!

Post of the day and not wrong!

boydogs
31-03-2014, 10:09 PM
What would you like him to say?
Carry on like a sook? Perhaps treat the journos like they're 3 year olds?
Lambast the players? The club is in development mode and the days of ranting from a coach are rare.

Just talk about the game instead of the development of the players

Remi Moses
01-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Just talk about the game instead of the development of the players

Isn't that what the club is endeavouring to do?
All the bottom teams talk about development of their players, and he stated in the actual game that we didn't stay long enough in the contest.
Isn't that talking about the game?
If you want a coach to bag the players, I'll show you a coach who'll be unemployed very quickly.

boydogs
01-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Isn't that what the club is endeavouring to do?
All the bottom teams talk about development of their players, and he stated in the actual game that we didn't stay long enough in the contest.
Isn't that talking about the game?
If you want a coach to bag the players, I'll show you a coach who'll be unemployed very quickly.

Look at Scraggers' fake Ask Macca thread and then look at the press conferences.

AndrewP6
01-04-2014, 09:36 PM
He's a Hawthorn supporter is he? I don't think he's ever mentioned it.

Yep Drewy is a Dawks fan.