PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs want in on possible future Good Friday AFL game

Eastdog
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-want-in-on-possible-future-good-friday-afl-game/story-fni5fazt-1226872729821

Jon Ralph •
Herald Sun •
April 02, 2014 10:00PM

THE Western Bulldogs are confident they will break the AFL’s resistance to Good Friday football as soon as next season.

Dogs president Peter Gordon said he believes the league can play two Good Friday games featuring four of the AFL’s smaller clubs.

Next year the league could kick off the season on Good Friday, with the AFL nearly relenting and including it in this year’s fixture on April 18.

Gordon said that while North Melbourne and Carlton had lobbied for a joint game, the Dogs wanted in too.

“The first proposition I put in my written submission to the AFL is that there is no decent argument against it,’’ he said.

“No one wants to take iconic fixtures like Anzac Day off existing clubs, but this is a new opportunity to give national free-to-air exposure to two or four teams that desperately need it.

“Not only should the AFL use the fixture to schedule one or two games around the nation, they ought to pick teams which need the exposure.”

Friday night pioneers North Melbourne have lobbied about a Good Friday game for 20 years, and hope to play Carlton in a twilight fixture.

“I know there is some argy bargy about who thought of this first,’’ said Gordon.

“But is my view that it is the obligation of the Commission to fixture it in the interests of new markets and new audiences. Support North Melbourne having the chance, but gives us an opportunity too, with clubs like St Kilda and Melbourne and other smaller franchises around.”

AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan made it clear at last October’s fixture launch how close Good Friday football was in this year’s fixture.

‘I think there is gathering momentum, and if I’m here saying that it is 50-50 for the year after next, then that is probably a good sign of momentum,’’ he said.

If the league did delay the 2015 season until after the World Cup — as flagged in this week’s Herald Sun — then Carlton and Richmond want to kick off the season again at the MCG.

But the AFL may still start the season late in March, giving rival clubs a chance to play on Good Friday and still finishing the season in late September.

bornadog
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Who else thinks this will eventually be given to the Collingwoods, Essendons of the world.

chef
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
It will be given to teams who can fill a stadium...which is fair enough.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2014, 11:43 AM
If I'm to believe anything about equalisation, yes.

But I have no confidence in a meaningful equalisation for us.

Happy Days
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Hypothetically, if the AFL were to give the game to us and North, imagine the damage it would do to our brand if we served up a game like Sunday on a national stage?

chef
03-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Hypothetically, if the AFL were to give the game to us and North, imagine the damage it would do to our brand if we served up a game like Sunday on a national stage?

They arent going to give it to two teams that can only half fill etihad.

Eastdog
03-04-2014, 12:02 PM

But what if say the Anzac Day clash between Collingwood and Essendon was very poor quality. Would they want to change the teams that play on Anzac day. When we become good again it would be great to get one of the "bigger timelslots' to showcase the way we play.

chef
03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
But what if say the Anzac Day clash between Collingwood and Essendon was very poor quality. Would they want to change the teams that play on Anzac day. When we become good again it would be great to get one of the "bigger timelslots' to showcase the way we play.

Its not about the quality of football, its about bums on seats and viewers at home.

Happy Days
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
They arent going to give it to two teams that can only half fill etihad.

But EQUALISATION

chef
03-04-2014, 12:58 PM
But EQUALISATION

Never going to happen.

SlimPickens
03-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Melbourne storm played on Good Friday at etihad years ago. There was 38,000 there. If you can make it into an event which ties in with the Good Friday appeal I have no doubt that a doggies v north game would go close to filling etihad.

How many neutrals go to ANZAC day? A truck load. This is a huge opportunity for the afl to do something very positive and also give 2 financially struggling teams a go on the big stage.

bornadog
03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Melbourne storm played on Good Friday at etihad years ago. There was 38,000 there. If you can make it into an event which ties in with the Good Friday appeal I have no doubt that a doggies v north game would go close to filling etihad.

How many neutrals go to ANZAC day? A truck load. This is a huge opportunity for the afl to do something very positive and also give 2 financially struggling teams a go on the big stage.

Couldn't agree more Slim.

We played in front of some mighty crowds in 2008 to 2010, and hopefully in 2015 we will be a top 8 side.

Eastdog
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Couldn't agree more Slim.

We played in front of some mighty crowds in 2008 to 2010, and hopefully in 2015 we will be a top 8 side.

From what I can recall Round 1 2010 V Collingwood Etihad Stadium our home game we had crowd of 49,000 so the periods when we are doing well we can get bums on seats but we need to do that more when we are not doing so well like right now.

SonofScray
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM

The quality of a game in isolation shouldn't be a concern to anyone. Footy is a contest, it can and will go in whatever direction it happens to on the day. We have a responsibility to win games, however that may play out. I think effectively being locked out of high profile, accessible time slots does more damage to the brand.

G-Mo77
03-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Who else thinks this will eventually be given to the Collingwoods, Essendons of the world.

First response I read summed up my thoughts exactly.

Andy D: "Great idea guys, we'll give it some thought and let you know"

Season or two passes.

Kevin Sheedy: "While I was gardening and after my 50th nip of Port I thought of someone else's idea. Andy D. we should schedule a regular blockbuster game between the Bombers and Hawks"

Andy D: "Great idea Kevin, we'll schedule that next year. I wish other clubs like the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and North Melbourne have such great forward thinking"

Remi Moses
03-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Apparently according to Brad Scott Norf want to play Carlton.
According to him Norf proposed this 20 years ago, and they are the pioneers of Friday night footy.
getting a bit big for their boots.

SonofScray
12-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Carlton CEO saying that Norf v Blues 4.30PM Good Friday footy in 2015 is locked in.

bornadog
12-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Carlton CEO saying that Norf v Blues 4.30PM Good Friday footy in 2015 is locked in.

Pricks

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Pricks

What a shame. It would of been a great opportunity for us.