PDA

View Full Version : Forward Line

MrMahatma
22-04-2014, 03:40 PM
The forward line was a big issue this time last year. Does anyone else feel a lot more optimistic now? If Grant can come back and play to the standard we know he can, we could look something like this in the 2nd half of the year. Still would like another genuine tall, but Jones and Crameri are having good starts to the season and out 2 smalls look like being very good.

FF: Dahl - Grant - Hunter
HF: Stringer - Jones - Crameri

azabob
22-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Funny how quickly it can turn around.

I am still hopefully Campbell will be able to play some sort of role down there, he is a strong mark and a reasonable shot for goal up to 50m out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-04-2014, 05:23 PM
The forward line was a big issue this time last year. Does anyone else feel a lot more optimistic now? If Grant can come back and play to the standard we know he can, we could look something like this in the 2nd half of the year. Still would like another genuine tall, but Jones and Crameri are having good starts to the season and out 2 smalls look like being very good.

FF: Dahl - Grant - Hunter
HF: Stringer - Jones - Crameri

I would prefer to see Campbell in a forward pocket with Dahl moving to Stringer's half forward flank. We need Campbell as a marking forward option and relief for Will in the ruck. I still think that Stringer needs more time with our VFL team before he becomes a regular senior player.

1eyedog
22-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Yep Grant to a FP Jones to CHF and Campbell to FF. I'd like to see this for a few games.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2014, 07:30 PM
What's great is that we've actually got some reasonable options to discuss how best to structure it nowadays.

I agree with everyone that having Grant back and in form will add a lot, and also that having Campbell as a marking target will make life a lot easier for everyone. I think TBB posted in another thread a forward line something along the lines of the below, which is what I'm looking forward to. A combination of sizes, mobility, lead up and pack marking players with some skilled crumbers who can do the defensive stuff.

Dahlhaus, Crameri, Grant
Hunter, Jones, Campbell

LostDoggy
22-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Not too concerned about the forward line any more. Crameri and Grant (when fit + in-form) provide two incredibly difficult match ups which give us some good depth. Add to that a steadily improving (too slow for some people's patience) Jones and the occasional cameos of Dickson and Campbell and smalls like Dahlhaus, Hunter, Smith, Hrovat rotating through and we have quite the good mix.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm a little tired, I've never thought of Jarrad anywhere other than forward. But if you had to pick a player closest to Bobby to replace him as HBF, or swing man, then Granty is it. Tall enough, quick enough, fancy feet, look away handball machine and a good mark and field kick. I'd still play him forward, but it just occurred to me for some reason that I've considered most others in different positions, but never JG.

ledge
23-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Crameri is the one who moves around a lot and tends to rest up forward, he has a huge tank and macca wants to use it and his height and speed all over the ground. So I see grant being used more forward than Crameri, if we can get Stringer and Grant to stand up , Crameri will be our swing man.

MrMahatma
23-04-2014, 02:23 PM
You'd think Campbell will come in sometime soon. Offers support to Will and can take a grab up forward.

It'd be a nice mix of options we'd have if he came in and played even half decent. There's a broad range of skills represented in the 6-8 guys who could make up our fwd line, and they all have the potential to be dangerous players. Who knows, we might start giving some opposition coaches a few headaches soon.

It's certainly a world away from last year. Jones' improvement has been good. Grant looked dead and buried this time last year but now most doggies fans will be counting down the weeks until he's back in the team.