PDA

View Full Version : Talk Of An Anzac Day Eve Match

Eastdog
25-04-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/theres-already-enough-footy-on-anzac-day/tabid/91/newsid/129493/default.aspx

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 7:55 AM
Source: SportsFan
Author: Glenn Valencich

Manufacturing an annual Anzac Day eve clash in would ruin the goal of staging matches on April 25, say two footballers who have taken part in their respective code's biggest events.

Reports emerged yesterday that the Richmond Tigers and Melbourne Demons are campaigning to launch an April 24 night match at the MCG prior to the traditional Essendon and Collingwood clash the next day.

Both the AFL and NRL played on April 24 as recent as the 2011 seasons, when the date fell on a Sunday and a combined 58,392 people watched one AFL game and two NRL matches.

The next five dates fall on a Friday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, suggesting that the potential Tigers and Demons blockbuster would only clash with other matches in 2016.

But that reason is not enough for retired Essendon player Andrew Welsh and Wests Tigers five-eighth Braith Anasta.

"I hate it," Welsh, who played six times on Anzac Day for the Bombers, told the SportsFan Clubhouse crew.

"I must say, I think Anzac Day is such an important day to the country, such an important day for so many that it should be about that focus.

"It's not Anzac Day eve, it's Anzac Day so let's have a great game that can be a part of the celebration and the remembrance of the Anzacs."

With the AFL and NRL each staging three matches today to fill the usual Friday night schedule alongside its afternoon and evening matches, Anasta agrees that league officials need to know when to step in.

"I think there's enough on Anzac Day," Anasta, who played on the day seven times as a member of the Sydney Roosters, added.

"It's on Anzac Day for a reason because it's out of respect to the Anzacs and also because it's an amazing day and it's a good atmosphere.

"Putting it the night before can take a little bit away from Anzac Day. I don't think they should do it."

Do you think it would be wrong for the AFL to Richmond and Melbourne to stage an annual Anzac Day eve clash? Is there already too much footy on the public holiday or is it justified? Have your say below.