PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 7

Eastdog
27-04-2014, 09:07 PM
This is the round 7 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Essendon is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Bankers
Picken - great shutdown role
Libba - had better of Watson and got good numbers
Higgins - quality
Special mention to Morris and Wood also

Anchors
Crameri - nothing offered, Jones and Williams nothing special either. But ball was bombed in high too often
Dickson and Hunter - very little impact

Bumper Bulldogs
03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Bankers
Morris - It showed how much we missed him.
Picken - He just gives everything year after year
Dahlhaus - Thought he was the best on ground in the first 1/2
Wood - looked like he started to get his Mojo back a little

Anchors
Crameri - Really thought that you had a stinker and could have parked yourself on Fletcher to stop the intercepted marks,,,,,, Dod you not pay attention in the team meetings at Essendon.
Stevens - Just keeps turning the ball over

westbulldog
03-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Bankers
Higgins - composed and skillfull game
Wood - consistently good this year
Dalhaus - nearing A grade
Morris - welcome back

Anchors
Whoever allowed them to have a spare man in defence, 11 uncontested possessions and ice 2 minutes off the clock with 4 or 5 minutes to go when we needed 2 goals to win.
Dickson - unsighted
Crameri - wouldn't have thought he needed motivation for this game,alas didn''t show any.

Jasper
04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Bankers
Higgins - its nice to see someone who can actually hit a target and think things through first
Morris - We would be screwed without him
Dalhaus - great first half. Was a bit quiet in the 2nd after getting tagged but still played well.

Anchors
Crameri - showed nothing against his old side, and didn't see him lead up out of the 50 much (at least Williams did)
Dickson - can't even remember seeing him in the first 3/4's....
Talia - was supposed to be the one on fletcher as a "defensive forward". Hard to do that when you're nowhere near the guy. Everytime there was a one on one with him i either expected an Essendon mark or him to give away a free. Needs to work on some things but i still think he can be a decent/solid defender who plays within his limitations

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Bankers:
Morris - What a wonderful player. We'll never be able to replace him.
Higgins - Excellent game, he's an improved player, it's pleasing to see him out there and moving/playing well.
Boyd/Wood - Boyd fantastic again, quelled Watson whilst Wood's big improvements continue. Wood's ability to defend and attack at the right times is excellent right now. He would be in my top 3 or 4 players so far this year.

Anchors:
Crameri - Woeful. Really disappointing game.
Griffen - Woeful disposal/decision making at times. Got a bit of it, but he's not playing well.
Talia - Poor performance on Daniher, turned it over and wasn't good up forward. Still hope we persist though.

Remi Moses
04-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Bankers/ Higgins ( starting to find his place, finally!)
Pickens ( once again a consistent effort and even his execution was good)
Dahlhaus( outstanding in the first)
Libba ( back to his best tonight, Dahl had to be tagged let Libba off the leash)
Anchors/ crameri( just awful, usually it's a shocker or a blinder against the ex team.)
Williams ( I think it's all over)
Dickson ( needs consistency)
Talia( has to get better one on one and improve his decision making)
The blind bombing forward and the forwards allowing a 78 year old to play on his own terms is just not acceptable)

jeemak
04-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Bankers:

Wood - I really like his progression as a footballer. Continuity is king

Higgins - Once again, continuity is king. I'd love to see him stay injury free for two seasons as I think he'll be elite if he does

Morris - You realise how much you've missed him once he's back

Anchors:

Crameri - Didn't seem as if his head was in it tonight, it resulted in lowered work/running output and ultimately results

Talia - Has a lot of work to do from a positioning perspective. Needs to go back to Footscray and learn

Team concentration - It's so bloody clear lapses cost us on the scoreboard. Good sides with good skill can get away with it. We're not there yet and we hurt through poor execution and defencive work when we lapse mentally

Thought Picken's game was very good as well.

always right
04-05-2014, 12:46 AM
B
Wood......making his detractors eat their words. Having an outstanding season.
Higgins......continually tried to create run around the ground. Impressive.
Stringer......that first half was very encouraging. Took them on and showed plenty.

A
Crameri......completely ineffective tonight. Huge disappointment.
JJ.....mistake after mistake tonight
Talia.....we have to persevere but his defensive efforts were really poor

The bulldog tragician
04-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Bankers:
Wood had a marvelous game. Super impressed with how his game is growing.
The superb Dale Morris.
Shaun Higgins, at last we see what he can do with a fit body.

Anchors:
Forwards that didn't fire. Bad night for Crameri, Hunter, Dickson.
Continued lack of composure & poor decision making, i take heart though, this can be worked on.
Essendon fans blind adulation of Hird. This man brought disgrace on your club and the game, yet his name's on the banner like he's some sort of wronged hero. No contrition, no class, no remorse. Agh Dogs, how much I wanted you to win this one!

wb_age
04-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Bankers

Higgins was enormous. Really happy for the bloke, finally showing his wares with a healthy (5kg lighhter) body. Also note, finally not pidgeon holed to the forward pocket or half forward flank.

Morris and Picken - whoever they play on are in for a very tough day. Competitive beasts.

Minson - This was not a steller performances by any means, but after getting to towelled up each week this year he actually competed really well against the more athletic yet softer ruck in Ryder. This finally allowed our mids a decent opportunity to compete and notably our CP was up.

Wood - His rise has been terrific, really enjoying watching him play with some confidence.

Anchors

Talia - He would have to be the worst player on our list. Poor skills by hand and foot. (Makes Jong seem like Gilbee) Horrible decision making, sells his teammates in to trouble time and time again. Also his strength is supposedly his capacity to play as a lock down defender, he is never near his opponent and when he is just gives away free kick after free kick.

The umpiring - this didn't cost us the match, but i do not know what is or what is not a free kick anymore, it's all interpretation and varies from one ump to the other.

Channel seven - at the end of the 1st quarter in particular, despite the dogs being in the lead, the 1st quarter highlights were each and every bombers goal only.

SonofScray
04-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Bankers:

Wood: That was the game of a guy who has gone up a notch, he was very good in most aspects of the game. Our best defender on the night.

Cooney: Was good early, performed well over the night. Needs to hit the scoreboard.

Dalhaus: Bringing a consistency to his game that is at a very high level. Keeps hitting the scoreboard.

Anchors:
Not going to pot any individuals. The usual markers of a poor game weren't there for us. The effort was acceptable, we had winners in their position. We threw the result away. It struck me that teams sometimes forget how to win. We really fluffed that chance and need to get over it quick sticks.

LostDoggy
04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Banker
1 - Easton Wood's work (I may be wrong about him)
2 - Shaun Higgins playing some of the footy we suspected he could
3 - J Stringer's 'out of my way little man' in the last I think to Chapman...Chapman!, it reeked of arrogance and I loved it.

Anchor

1 - Incessant, mindless bombing into fwd line (against coaching instructions)
2 - The Bombers lady behind me who screeched in my ear all night (math's teacher apparently, pity her students)
3 - The BS deliberate out of bounds against Murph or Hunter's ridiculous pack mark attempt that was not even close and cost us a goal - a toss up....

MrMahatma
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Bankers:

Wood: Good
Dahl: Good. Needs to learn to beat a tag but shows he's doing well that he's getting tagged. First half was excellent.
Morris: God.
Williams: A few people didn't rate his effort? Surprises me. He gave us something across half forward. I liked it.

Anchors:
JJ: Had a shocker. I like what he theoretically brings to the table so worth persisting with for a few weeks.
Crameri: A stinker.
Talia: Don't think he's a lost cause by any stretch. Just had a poor one. Will be better when Roughead is back and he can learn alongside him and Morris.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Bankers:-

Wood & Morris, 2 defenders on the top of their game. Very impressive effort by both.

Dahl & Libba, 2 young blokes we rely on so much, both are fast becoming A grade players, was great to see them have a big impact.

Higgins, Boyd & Cooney, 3 senior blokes who could hold their heads high through the midfield.

Anchors:-

Dickson, unsighted for most of the game, seemed to lack a bit of run and didn't play a smart game.

Griffen, did some OK things, but is making too many errors by foot at the moment, over thinking the game and possibly trying to over compensate because he's been injured. We really miss his best at the moment.

Umpires, why not pot them, they were consistent to the extent that they consistently stuffed it up. Some horrible calls both ways.

kruder
04-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Banker

1 - Dale Morris continues to amaze! I wonder how far off Captain he was? I'd follow him anywhere...
2 - Awesome to see the poise, decision making and executuion of Higgins last night. I can't remember a more frustrating talented and under performed player(injuries have impacted obviously)but he may have finally arrived, kudos to him!
3- Wood played a little like Morris last night.. Has improved significantly over the past month lets hope it continues.

A quick mention to Boyd, Dahl, Libba, and Picken...

Anchor

1 - Another honarable loss. Being beaten by the Adelaide, Carlton and an out of from Essendon is frustrating and poor form to say the least!
2-Talia to put it simply was awful. Seems to have lost all confidence.
3 - Liam Jones makes it again for me. Was at the game and watched him closely just does not lead at the footy. Demand the ball son! He has no game sense, is dumb and work rate is not up to AFL standard. We need more Liam!

soupman
04-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Bankers:
Dahlhaus: Was the reason we were winning in the first half. Really hoping this is the start of his transition into a high possession getter as he has the ability to really hurt sides.
Higgins: Worked his arse off, took risks and was one oif the few players that really had a go at taking the game on and trying to snatch the win.
Stringer: Finally justified his selection. His aerial contested work was impressive against much bigger opponents and he has a briliant ability to use the tackler momentum against them. That fend off of Chapman was highly enjoyable to witness.

Anchors:
Crameri: Absolute shite. Cannot believe how insipid he was. Of all matches he went completely missing the whole match and not only had zero impact as a forward but allowed himself to be outmarked or outworked to easily. I do really like him, but last nights effort was practically as useless as Jones' last week, especially considering he is meant to be that forward leader.
JJ and Talia: I like them both, I was convinced at the end of last season that they were walk up best 22 players. This year they have both regressed though and been exposed as being further off than we hoped. JJ at least got some of the footy last night and he did try and create some run, but for someone who last year was quick, clean and evasive he is struggling in all those aspects. And Talia is constantly out of position and on the verge of giving away needless free's trying to not lot his opponent get the footy.
Umpiring: I get that it's hard and i never have high expectations but they were crap on multiple occasions. Murphy's deliberate,
Stringer 50m penalty, Fletcher facing Stevens with his arms around his head in a "marking contest" not paid, Watson continually having the ball "knocked out in the tackle" instead of actually getting done for holdingthe ball, Minson being penalised for rucking, you get the gist. Didn't cost us the game but they were very average.

G-Mo77
04-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Stringer: Finally justified his selection. His aerial contested work was impressive against much bigger opponents and he has a briliant ability to use the tackler momentum against them. That fend off of Chapman was highly enjoyable to witness.

I'm glad you mentioned him. I was really happy with his game last night. Another guy who did make some blues but was because he was trying to get the ball moving quickly. Like I said in another thread about JJ who did make a lot himself they made mistakes for the right reason and I'd be encouraging them to keep at it.

soupman
04-05-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you mentioned him. I was really happy with his game last night. Another guy who did make some blues but was because he was trying to get the ball moving quickly. Like I said in another thread about JJ who did make a lot himself they made mistakes for the right reason and I'd be encouraging them to keep at it.

It was pleasing that although JJ had a poor game it was through trying things. He is still down on confidence and it showed, but I would rather he play a poor game like last night where he gets the footy and influences the match ever so lsightly than a sub-10 possession effort like against GWS where he might as well have stayed home.

F'scary
04-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Bankers:

He was so much more involved last night. Checked Footywire stats - he was in the top 11 of our players for AF and 8th for SC.

always right
04-05-2014, 12:27 PM
He was so much more involved last night. Checked Footywire stats - he was in the top 11 of our players for AF and 8th for SC.

Perhaps the coach does know what he is doing after all. Most have been calling for Stringer's head in recent weeks. He's shown faith in Stringer and improved his education by playing him in different roles. We are going to benefit in the medium term.

Will be interesting to see how he manages Talia.

F'scary
04-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Perhaps the coach does know what he is doing after all. Most have been calling for Stringer's head in recent weeks. He's shown faith in Stringer and improved his education by playing him in different roles. We are going to benefit in the medium term.

Guilty as charged, Your Honour.

LostDoggy
04-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Agree about Stringer and JJ. Thought they both got the ball well last night. JJ just seemed to be overawed about what to do with it a couple of times.

bornadog
04-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Umpiring: I get that it's hard and i never have high expectations but they were crap on multiple occasions. Murphy's deliberate,
Stringer 50m penalty, Fletcher facing Stevens with his arms around his head in a "marking contest" not paid, Watson continually having the ball "knocked out in the tackle" instead of actually getting done for holdingthe ball, Minson being penalised for rucking, you get the gist. Didn't cost us the game but they were very average.

The umpires need to learn the rules. I was on level one aisle 15 and right in front of us Watson got pinged and basically slammed the ball into the turf which is holding the ball. I yelled out something like ball, but it was play on, then I yelled stupid umpire. The ball travelled a few metres and one of our players was tackled with no prior and an Essendon supporter behind me yells, ball, and then says stupid umpire - in other words having a go at me. I tell you I didn't hold back and gave him a piece of my mind in front of his family.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Not to toot my own horn (toot toot) but I did say I thought we should try Stringer in the back half a few weeks ago. He's been much better playing behind the ball and working 'down the field', rather than playing forward. Looked pretty capable in the middle of the ground v Essendon too.

Remi Moses
05-05-2014, 02:18 AM
The umpires need to learn the rules. I was on level one aisle 15 and right in front of us Watson got pinged and basically slammed the ball into the turf which is holding the ball. I yelled out something like ball, but it was play on, then I yelled stupid umpire. The ball travelled a few metres and one of our players was tackled with no prior and an Essendon supporter behind me yells, ball, and then says stupid umpire - in other words having a go at me. I tell you I didn't hold back and gave him a piece of my mind in front of his family.
That Watson non decision was comical. Notice they paid less of the player on the bottom of a pack getting pinged. They paid a few more dropping the ball decisions.

always right
05-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Couldn't agree more. Not long after that blatant free kick they pinged Bontempelli for far less. They simply don't award frees against name players.

bornadog
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Couldn't agree more. Not long after that blatant free kick they pinged Bontempelli for far less. They simply don't award frees against name players.

Yes that Bonti was was disgraceful as he also punched that as he was being tackled. We were streaming forward as well.

wimberga
05-05-2014, 10:20 AM
There was another incident in our forward 50 where after a number of ruck contests, we tackled an essendon player and Will laid on top of him as he always does to lock the ball in and cause another stoppage. However, the umpire blew his whistle and said to will "you laid on his back".

wtf?

1eyedog
05-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Bankers/ Higgins ( starting to find his place, finally!)
Pickens ( once again a consistent effort and even his execution was good)
Dahlhaus( outstanding in the first)
Libba ( back to his best tonight, Dahl had to be tagged let Libba off the leash)
Anchors/ crameri( just awful, usually it's a shocker or a blinder against the ex team.)
Williams ( I think it's all over)
Dickson ( needs consistency)
Talia( has to get better one on one and improve his decision making)
The blind bombing forward and the forwards allowing a 78 year old to play on his own terms is just not acceptable)

Really Remi? On Saturday's performance? Far out I must have been watching a different game and I was there. He presented, presented, presented for 3 quarters and got on the end of a few after multiple double back leads. His hands were good when he got his opportunity and I thought he provided a good target across HF. He still struggles to know when to lead and where to lead to but I'm stuggling to find another player who can play better than what Williams did in that particular role on Saturday. He was very ordinary in the last but so were many of our players.

Bankers are Higgins, Dahlhaus, Picken, Libba and Cooney in the first half.

Anchors are Talia, Dicko and JJ.

Scorlibo
05-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes that Bonti was was disgraceful as he also punched that as he was being tackled. We were streaming forward as well.

Never mind whether he handballed it away or not, there was no prior opportunity! If there's no prior and he didn't throw or drop the ball then there's no free kick - it's simple.

Just thinking outside the box here, does the umpire's position on the ground, and the fact they have to run around so much, mean that their adjudication is affected? It seems to me that everyone sitting in the stands gets a consistently good view of what has transpired, wouldn't the umpires benefit from the same consistency (and comfort)? Why not have 8 or so umpires sit near the fence and make the calls, with the on-field umpires simply there to implement their decisions?

1eyedog
05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Never mind whether he handballed it away or not, there was no prior opportunity! If there's no prior and he didn't throw or drop the ball then there's no free kick - it's simple.

Just thinking outside the box here, does the umpire's position on the ground, and the fact they have to run around so much, mean that their adjudication is affected? It seems to me that everyone sitting in the stands gets a consistently good view of what has transpired, wouldn't the umpires benefit from the same consistency (and comfort)? Why not have 8 or so umpires sit near the fence and make the calls, with the on-field umpires simply there to implement their decisions?

The position of the umpire absolutely affects what they can see and how they officiate but some of the blatant misses (e.g. Watson holding / throwing the ball in the last) could not be missed - but you have to allow for some error.

The problem with having a boundary line ringed with umpires is that the game will become that static from free kicks being paid that it will become completely unwatchable.

Scorlibo
05-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Bankers

Higgins: is becoming the type of player who we can rely on and who will be missed if he gets injured again.

Stringer: his best game for the club, loved the don't argue on Chapman and the weave through the pack on the wing. Must keep that standard.

Wood: gosh he's playing some good footy. Another piece in the defensive jigsaw puzzle falls into place.

Anchors

Johannisen: he'll get better, but makes some costly decisions out there.

Stevens: poor game, must be considered for a demotion.

Talia: looked lost and was beaten for pace on Daniher. If he can't play a defensive lock-down role for us then he can't be playing at all. He'll improve but Roberts has been banging down the door and deserves an opportunity.

Scorlibo
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
The position of the umpire absolutely affects what they can see and how they officiate but some of the blatant misses (e.g. Watson holding / throwing the ball in the last) could not be missed - but you have to allow for some error.

The problem with having a boundary line ringed with umpires is that the game will become that static from free kicks being paid that it will become completely unwatchable.

I can think of a few problems, but I'm not sure if over-adjudication would be one of them. For every free kick missed there is one given which shouldn't have been.

The biggest issue I can envisage is communication difficulties between the on-field umpires and umpires in the stands (and even the crowd).

bornadog
05-05-2014, 12:36 PM

That one was where Bonti running through the corridor and no one else in sight, just the Essendon player tackling Bonti, so vision is perfect.

1eyedog
05-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I can think of a few problems, but I'm not sure if over-adjudication would be one of them. For every free kick missed there is one given which shouldn't have been.

The biggest issue I can envisage is communication difficulties between the on-field umpires and umpires in the stands (and even the crowd).

Over-adjudication will be a massive problem for mine, at least at first. I'm weighing up the miss one vs awarding one that probably wasn't there vs the amount of times a free kick will be paid simply because there are now 12 sets of eyes watching the play. By the book decisions will be picked up all over the shop (e.g. jumper pulls as holding the man). This will increase the amount of free kicks exponentially at first but maybe long-term your idea has merit in that players will simply not offend if they know that there are eyes watching every second of play. It's interesting - I think we'd all like less free kicks paid and maybe we need to put that extra heat (e.g. 12 sets of eyes who can adjudicate) on players so they don't offend.

Perhaps long-term the game will be more free flowing which is certainly what the AFL want - an entertaining spectacle.

bornadog
05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Over-adjudication will be a massive problem for mine, at least at first. I'm weighing up the miss one vs awarding one that probably wasn't there vs the amount of times a free kick will be paid simply because there are now 12 sets of eyes watching the play. By the book decisions will be picked up all over the shop (e.g. jumper pulls as holding the man). This will increase the amount of free kicks exponentially at first but maybe long-term your idea has merit in that players will simply not offend if they know that there are eyes watching every second of play. It's interesting - I think we'd all like less free kicks paid and maybe we need to put that extra heat (e.g. 12 sets of eyes who can adjudicate) on players so they don't offend.

The AFL have changed too many rules over the past 10 years to the detriment of the game. You have old farts who played in the 70's and 80's who want to legislate to change the game to resemble what it looked like back in the 80's. You can't do that through rule changes as they forget, the human race is getting bigger and faster. Technology has helped coaches with tactics - every player has a GPS so you can work out the strengths and weaknesses and introduce them into the game accordingly. The amount of analysis now is incredible, so tactics also change the game. Every rule change, the coaches have a work around.

No amount of rule changes will make the game look like before.

The result of the rule changes means the game is now the most over officiated game in the world, and to me has lost complete credibility. The more rules, the more open to interpretation means the more times we feel the umpires get it wrong.

We need to go back to the basics:

1. Correct disposal by hand and foot
2. Correct tackling, ie no above the shoulder or below the knee
3. No pushes in the back
4. No running beyond (is it 10 or 15mtres), without bouncing the ball.

Just a few basics, but no we have all these stupid little things now and we see players in the bottom of a pack throwing the ball because they are worried they will get pinged, or just letting the ball go when they are tackled. Lots of others I can't think of right now. We have three field umpires, 4 boundary, two goal, an emergency, someone counting interchange, a third umpire for goal review and so it goes on.

No wonder people get turned off.

However, at the end of the day, if the above basics are broken, and the free is there, you pay the free and you be consistent about it.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2014, 01:12 PM

We, the people, have a 360 view of every contest between us, so we should see more. The positioning and teaching of umpires where to be is based on seeing as many views as possible. The change to where to stand for throw ins for example was a massive change and improvement. More umpires is good in that there is not basic running along the 'diamond' as happened one up. I can live with decisions occasionally being missed, I would hope non ajudicating umpires would do a little more (as an aside I remember was a young umpire I over called a long term umpire in the seniors and I copped one of the biggest sprays at the end of the quarter from him). What I struggle with especially this year the throwing and incorrect disposal interpretations, the players are 'footy smart' and won't look to actually move it on but if to the ground will throw their arms around. It's a main rule which is more important as tackling techniques have improved, I don't get it.

jeemak
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
You can accidentally fall on to the ball, have it held to you by an opponent and if you don't pretend to get rid of it convincingly enough you get pinged holding the ball.

That's where umpiring is at the moment. Nonsensical and lacking in substance. It's not the fault of the umpires BTW.

always right
05-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Positioning is important but won't eliminate plain crap decisions. Case in point was the one on one contest in the third where Fletcher took his eyes of the ball, actually turned and faced Stevens and put both his arms over Steven's shoulders. The umpire (the short one) was standing side-on 15 meters away yet called play on. If it wasn't Fletcher the free kick would have been paid.

Scorlibo
05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Positioning is important but won't eliminate plain crap decisions. Case in point was the one on one contest in the third where Fletcher took his eyes of the ball, actually turned and faced Stevens and put both his arms over Steven's shoulders. The umpire (the short one) was standing side-on 15 meters away yet called play on. If it wasn't Fletcher the free kick would have been paid.

I suppose I'm more referring to umpires having an inconsistent view of the play rather than a poor one. They might view that piece of play from 8 different perspectives over the course of a game, pay it from some and not from others. That is too much variation for my liking. It's like when I have to get tickets to away games and sit in a spot other than my regular viewing position at home games - I find it slightly more difficult to follow the play because it's not what I'm used to. But at least I don't have to run around between the stands, shifting my view every couple of minutes.

Dancin' Douggy
05-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Bankers.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying Jake Stringer.
There's been a lot of criticism levelled at Jake here and some of it may be warranted, but gee if you just look at the positives.
Some things he does so easily and effortlessly they just don't get noticed. His lightning reflex handballs, his slower 'draw the tackler' handballs. His bold weaving through traffic to maintain possession and create opportunities. Take a look at the opening seconds of the weekends game. A long bomb into Carlisle, Stringer waits til Carlisle has comitted in the air. manhandles him out of the way, reads the bounce and and delivers a perfect handball to Murphy. All of which is completely unnoticed by the commentators. We were all hoping to see a rampaging bull taking big pack marks and kicking bags. What we have is a 19 YO recovering from a leg which was snapped in half......literally. I see him chasing, I see him tackling, and I see him revealing glorious moments here and there of his awesome potential. I say just keep playing him.

Higgins. Hallelujiah. A possible A grader who through no fault of his own has been held back for so long. Just love watching him move. All class and such a clever player. No brain fades or 2 meter handballs to teammate surrounded by opposition players.

Easton Wood. Really rising to the challenge, getting better every week. As with Higgins, hope he can string together a full season.

Anchors.

The AFL / Bombers or whoever's to blame for charging extra for a reserved seat just to get in. With family memberships already being a luxury, paying extra for seats for 5 people just pushes it WAAAAY beyond affordable. So..... we stay at home and watch the game played to a half empty stadium. Boo.

The Bombers. Hate their guts. Can't believe they're gonna give Hird his job back. These people are insane.

2 will do.