PDA

View Full Version : AFL ruckmen: overrated players, or overrated position?

azabob
01-05-2014, 08:06 PM
AFL ruckmen: overrated players, or overrated position?

OK one and all - Pick your side - and state your case. The AGE jurno Michael Glesson has written an article on it are ruckman overrated or is the position?

Very similar to the debate some are having with Big Wil.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-ruckmen-overrated-players-or-overrated-position-20140501-zr2f7.html

bornadog
01-05-2014, 10:22 PM
When the ruckman dominates the centre bounces, ball ups and around the ground throw ups (sound stupid), generally the team wins. How many times have we seen the ruckman tap the ball to a midfielder with pace and run out of the centre.

Who can forget this one with Minson dominating and tapping the ball to Cooney.

http://youtu.be/W30wSZiGBEA

KT31
02-05-2014, 09:29 AM
When the ruckman dominates the centre bounces, ball ups and around the ground throw ups (sound stupid), generally the team wins. How many times have we seen the ruckman tap the ball to a midfielder with pace and run out of the centre.

One of my favourite games, Big Wil and Cooney were perfect that night in the last quarter.
From memory we kicked 9 or 10 in the second only to take the foot off and let Brisbane take the lead in the last.
We then kicked another 10 to seal the game.

Ozza
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
This comment doesn't answer the question of the OP. But one thing I'd say - is that the role of the ruckman is far different to what it used to be - in terms of their around the ground influence.

We no longer see ruckman a kick behind the play essentially as an extra defender at times, and you no longer see ruckman roaming the wings taking big marks. I suspect one of the biggest changes for ruckmen - is that, in the 80s/90s for instance, they were generally quite clearly the biggest blokes on the ground, at around 198-200cms. Now key position forwards and defenders are 197-200cms so the traditional rucks really just plod around the place and get to the multitude of stoppages.

There aren't many very good players, as ruckmen right now - and for most teams, it is a difficult task to justify having 2 of them in the 1 side.

Scorlibo
02-05-2014, 10:25 AM

That was such an exciting time for the club. How about that play with Brian on his arse to Cooney, to Griffen strolling down the wing, Granty with the over the head handball to Gia who snaps a goal!! Brilliant.

The ruck position is almost the most important position on the ground for mine. Probably only second to the midfielder who gets most time on ground.

Greystache
02-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks for posting that Aza

Some pretty intelligent opinions in that article ;)

interesting Minson is ranked 15th for impact according to their system.

Twodogs
02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
We had some great players reach their peak over 97/98 but if Scott Wynd didn't play we didnt win. Look now much we improved when Hudson joined the club.

We havent had a truly great Ruckman since Wynd but one will come. You can build a team around a great ruckman.

boydogs
02-05-2014, 11:50 PM
We havent had a truly great Ruckman since Wynd but one will come.

We had the best one in the AFL last year

Twodogs
03-05-2014, 04:35 PM
We had the best one in the AFL last year

But there isn't really a great Ruckman playing in the AFL ATM is there? I mean one that dominates centre bounces, controls the way the ball flows and takes marks around the ground.

I guess you could make an argument the game is played in such a way these days that doesn't allow Ruckman to flourish. They tap the ball and immediately half a dozen players jump on the ball.

boydogs
03-05-2014, 07:54 PM
But there isn't really a great Ruckman playing in the AFL ATM is there? I mean one that dominates centre bounces, controls the way the ball flows and takes marks around the ground.

Cox for around the ground, Minson & Sandliands for hitout beasts.

Libba has been very disappointing this year, if he was playing like he did last year taking advantage of Minson's good work I think people's view of Minson would be a lot different