PDA

View Full Version : r15 1991 doggies cause an upset over the bombers

langers1971
22-05-2014, 06:13 PM
15 1991, Footscray v essendon at western oval, it was essendon who were 2nd at the time, against the dogs, who were 11th at the time and struggling.

After a low scoring first half, Essendon held sway, leading 4.3.27 to footscray 1.10.16, then in the 2nd half, the game changed, the doggies took over, and in a boilover, won 11.23.89 to 6.7.43. it was one of 9 wins that the dogs had that year, and a draw, to finish the season in 10th spot.

The dogs kicked 10.13.73 to 2.4.16 after halftime.

The most remarkable thing about this game though, was that in the 2nd half, Peter Foster had a shot for goal at the left hand end, which clearly missed, yet it was given as a goal, and after the all clear was given, Foster runs up to the goal umpire to shake his hand!

i am trying to get a hold of this game on replay, but cannot find it anywhere. I have tried name a game/sports delivered, ch 7, tried both clubs, the afl, torrents, youtube. It seems nobody has it at all.

If anyone thinks they can assist here, and maybe have it on tape somewhere, i would love to hear from you.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Croc Media I think is owned by Craig Hutchison, I think. But Croc Media produce some TV, the trade radio and radio stuff etc, etc.

I would try a producer there. I imagine is the exec producer tells them to get footage for some project, those producers know where to get it from to do their jobs.

But it's only a guess.

bornadog
22-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I just checked my tapes again and couldn't find it.

langers1971
22-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Croc Media I think is owned by Craig Hutchison, I think. But Croc Media produce some TV, the trade radio and radio stuff etc, etc.

I would try a producer there. I imagine is the exec producer tells them to get footage for some project, those producers know where to get it from to do their jobs.

But it's only a guess.

i have tried Croc Media, they cannot help at all

bulldogtragic
22-05-2014, 06:44 PM
If worst comes to worst I'm sure like Civil War re-enactors in The States, 36 of us on WOOF (plus umpires) could re-enact it for you. I get dibs on being Fossie.

westdog54
22-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Can still remember that miss being awarded.

Drew Morphett was calling the game and it was something to the effect of "that one drifting of to the left... No its a goal!

Twodogs
22-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Can still remember that miss being awarded.

Drew Morphett was calling the game and it was something to the effect of "that one drifting of to the left... No its a goal!

You're right thats exactly what he said. I can hear Drew in my head now with the utmost certainty calling a point then the suprise and doubt when it was paid a goal.

westdog54
22-05-2014, 08:25 PM
You're right thats exactly what he said. I can hear Drew in my head now with the utmost certainty calling a point then the suprise and doubt when it was paid a goal.

With the added effect of a deathly silent crowd until the goal was awarded.

Twodogs
22-05-2014, 09:14 PM
With the added effect of a deathly silent crowd until the goal was awarded.

When Fozzie first headed for the goal umpire I thought he was going to tell him he missed the goal and he should change his decision (because that's the sort of thing Foster would have done) but when he shook his hand everybody cracked up.

Remi Moses
23-05-2014, 01:35 AM
That's the only thing I remember about that game.
That year was such a disappointment after the great 1990 season.

jeemak
23-05-2014, 03:23 AM
The tape exists, and it's either with the ABC or 7 sport. They're just too lazy to help you.

Don't give up.

Twodogs
23-05-2014, 09:38 AM
The tape exists, and it's either with the ABC or 7 sport. They're just too lazy to help you.

Don't give up.

Yep. This. Drew Morphett called it for the ABC so it's out there somewhere.

LostDoggy
23-05-2014, 10:06 AM
There's also a Leon Cameron goal called by Morphett around the same circa that missed by a foot but was given.

bornadog
23-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Don't give up.

did you know ch7 destroyed a lot of the old tapes by taping over them. Not sure what remains of the ABC tapes. I believe the AFL is trying to build up its library as well. Langers has been trying to get this game for a long time

KT31
23-05-2014, 11:04 AM
did you know ch7 destroyed a lot of the old tapes by taping over them. Not sure what remains of the ABC tapes. I believe the AFL is trying to build up its library as well. Langers has been trying to get this game for a long time

I heard a few years back the ABC had done a similar thing.

Sedat
23-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Leon Cameron also kicked a point that day that was awarded a goal, so we really should have kicked 9.25 instead of 11.23.

langers1971
23-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Don't give up.

it won't be with the ABC, they did not cover vfl/afl football after 1987. Channel 7 had it to themselves. Drew Morphett went to Channel seven in 1988 after the ABC lost the rights

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
23-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Name a Game might have it. We went home for a cuppa at half time that day and we could hear the players swearing and punching the lockers

jeemak
23-05-2014, 08:32 PM
it won't be with the ABC, they did not cover vfl/afl football after 1987. Channel 7 had it to themselves. Drew Morphett went to Channel seven in 1988 after the ABC lost the rights

Fair enough. In light of BAD has said, as well as that I wish you luck.

westdog54
24-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Yep. This. Drew Morphett called it for the ABC so it's out there somewhere.

Point of order. Drew was calling the game for 7.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2014, 09:32 AM

On behalf of Bronwyn Bishop, I dismiss the point of order, and under standing order 94 (a) you're off the forum until tomorrow.

Twodogs
24-05-2014, 05:20 PM

I meant on the radio. Different Drew Morphett. The ABC had a spare Drew Morphett in case the real Drew Morphett went Feral. They let him call games on the radio.

I should have been more specific.

F'scary
25-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I wan't following the Dogs back then but I think I remember the goal. If I recall correctly, the AFL covered its arse by saying that the ball had crossed the goal line and then was blown back out onto a different tangent by the strong wind to cross the boundary line on the full. Was that the one?

westdog54
25-05-2014, 02:28 PM
On behalf of Bronwyn Bishop, I dismiss the point of order, and under standing order 94 (a) you're off the forum until tomorrow.

*sigh* how I long for the days when Neil Andrew was in the chair. He threw everybody out.

Twodogs
25-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I wan't following the Dogs back then but I think I remember the goal. If I recall correctly, the AFL covered its arse by saying that the ball had crossed the goal line and then was blown back out onto a different tangent by the strong wind to cross the boundary line on the full. Was that the one?

Different one I think. Fossie's went through for a point.