PDA

View Full Version : Biding their time: The next wave of senior coaches

azabob
26-05-2014, 09:27 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-24/the-new-crop-of-senior-coaches

BY THE end of 2016 Paul Roos will no longer be coaching Melbourne.

History suggests he won't be the only senior coach replaced before then.

With every club having contracted a coach for 2015 however nothing might happen at the end of this season.

But eventually a vacancy will open up.

So AFL.com.au has scanned the field to find the leading candidates to be the game's next senior coaches.

It's poked and prodded and asked and delved and come up a list of names that clubs will discuss in future years.

And it comes with a warning: appointing a senior coach is the most important decision an AFL club can make.

azabob
28-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Looking at the posts over the last year or so, some posters are not happy with the current progress of the team.

Some have questioned have we erred in giving the extension too early.

My question is, out of the list is there anyone who excites you as a potential senior coach?

Mark Bickley
Luke Beveridge
Brett Montgomery
Scott Burns
Simon Goodwin
Gary Hocking
Robert Harvey
Brett Bolton
John Barker
Michael O'Loughlin
Blake Caracella
Adam Kingsley
Tim Clarke
James McDonald
Matthew Nicks
John Worsfold
Brett Ratten
Matthew Knights

bulldogtragic
28-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I think Gary Hocking could be OK. Matthew Knights is damaged goods unfortunately for him. Life is unfair sometimes.

azabob
28-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I must admit, Im not across everyones background, like once upon a time I would have been. I must admit none of them really excite me.

One I / AFL story left off was Mark Thompson.

boydogs
28-05-2014, 08:56 PM
John Worsfold seemed to be going well for a while there, not sure what happened

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Before I start let me say that I am a firm believer in letting Macca see out his contract.But if we were then eventually to appoint another coach an interesting name to put up is Brad Johnson. His knowledge and understanding of the modern game is up there with the best of them. What a home coming if it happened!

bulldogtragic
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Before I start let me say that I am a firm believer in letting Macca see out his contract.But if we were then eventually to appoint another coach an interesting name to put up is Brad Johnson. His knowledge and understanding of the modern game is up there with the best of them. What a home coming if it happened!

Reality aside.

Awesome idea!!! That's a million times better than Voss, Hird and Buckley combined. That'd have to bring in new and old members wouldn't it.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Reality aside.

Awesome idea!!! That's a million times better than Voss, Hird and Buckley combined. That'd have to bring in new and old members wouldn't it.

I'm sure it would BT.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm sure it would BT.

Chances of it happening B4L? :)

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Chances of it happening B4L? :)

Who really knows BT. Brad has dipped his toe into the coaching waters. But I am sure he has got a generous contract with Fox. If he has the hunger he would definitely be someone I would look at.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Who really knows BT. Brad has dipped his toe into the coaching waters. But I am sure he has got a generous contract with Fox. If he has the hunger he would definitely be someone I would look at.

I can't see the club needing a million from Peter, only to pay Macca out, its just not fair to anyone. But in that alternate universe, Johno as coach, Bubba as an assistant, Scotty West could be someone we look at for an assistants spot too with Granty on he board.... Stuff dreams are made out of... But it was a nice distraction from our current plight to think of B4L! :)

azabob
02-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Stuff it BT - I propose Zaine Cordy as playing coach.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I can't see the club needing a million from Peter, only to pay Macca out, its just not fair to anyone. But in that alternate universe, Johno as coach, Bubba as an assistant, Scotty West could be someone we look at for an assistants spot too with Granty on he board.... Stuff dreams are made out of... But it was a nice distraction from our current plight to think of B4L! :)

As I said in my first point BT I am talking about in the future not now. I am a firm believer in honouring a coaches contract.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Stuff it BT - I propose Zaine Cordy as playing coach.

God, hell yes!! :) :) :) :)

But with thinking like that I think you're too ambitious to be our 'deputy, deputy leader' of 'In-Zaine in the Brian'. I think Twodogs and I have something to be worried about. :)

bulldogtragic
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
As I said in my first point BT I am talking about in the future not now. I am a firm believer in honouring a coaches contract.

I agree, sacking coaches mid season is very Richmond :)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2014, 10:23 PM
If he had the passion, Choco Williams would be a good option.

azabob
02-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Great call BB. Would cost a bomb tho.

Bulldog Joe
03-06-2014, 10:01 AM

I often see Williams named as the next coach somewhere and I just don't get it.

I know he won a flag at Port, but by the time he left they were a rabble ( bit like Alan Joyce at Hawthorn in the 90's)

He then went to GWS and now at Richmond as development coach. How is that going?

bornadog
03-06-2014, 10:38 AM

I know he won a flag at Port, but by the time he left they were a rabble ( bit like Alan Joyce at Hawthorn in the 90's)

He then went to GWS and now at Richmond as development coach. How is that going?

Yes, i will pass too.

azabob
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM

I hear what you are saying about leaving the list in a rabble. Times are changing thanks to Swans, Geelong and Hawthorn clubs are much more aware of the need to manage and maintain their lists.

I think if coaches such as Eade and Williams get back into the system they'd focus on the now as well as the future.

Throughandthrough
11-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Looking at the posts over the last year or so, some posters are not happy with the current progress of the team.

Some have questioned have we erred in giving the extension too early.

My question is, out of the list is there anyone who excites you as a potential senior coach?

Mark Bickley
Luke Beveridge
Brett Montgomery
Scott Burns
Simon Goodwin
Gary Hocking
Robert Harvey
Brett Bolton
John Barker
Michael O'Loughlin
Blake Caracella
Adam Kingsley
Tim Clarke
James McDonald
Matthew Nicks
John Worsfold
Brett Ratten
Matthew Knights

Beveridge turned out ok

azabob
11-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Beveridge turned out ok

He goes ok, hey?

EasternWest
11-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Beveridge turned out ok

Just ok. I'd rather we looked at Worsfold.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Just ok. I'd rather we looked at Worsfold.

We threw $7,000,000 and 7 years at the wrong guy. Ross Lyon was clearly the play and we missed our opportunity.

EasternWest
11-10-2016, 10:36 PM
We threw $7,000,000 and 7 years at the wrong guy. Ross Lyon was clearly the play and we missed our opportunity.

Pfft. What's Tom Boyd ever done for us?

bulldogtragic
11-10-2016, 10:46 PM

Nothing. His so called best game wasn't even a best on ground performance. Same old dogs...

Twodogs
11-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Same old dogs glorifying mediocrity and accepting second best yet again.

westdog54
12-10-2016, 07:59 AM

Where's Chops when you need him? Loves a good "accepting mediocrity" discussion.

EasternWest
12-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Where's Chops when you need him? Loves a good "accepting mediocrity" discussion.

Now there's a line that's never been said in seriousness.

Accepting mediocrity. Geez I haven't thought about that in years!

ledge
12-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Now Sam Mitchell looks like he wants to get into coaching.
Had credentials as a player but doesn't mean you can be a good coach ..
I've found most successful coaches were players who worked hard and just scraped together a few years playing ..
Pagan, beverage , clarkeson, sheedy , Malthouse. Exceptions being Roos. Matthews Thompson Longmire in recent years. I would even argue Roos and Thompson weren't genuine footballers and really worked hard to become what they did.
I think Scotts flag at Geelong was due to Thompson and They really didn't need to be coached that year.
If I was looking for a coach it would be one of mediocre career but the drive to get the best they could out of themselves . They understand the hard work to make it and aren't cocky.

Topdog
12-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Now Sam Mitchell looks like he wants to get into coaching.
Had credentials as a player but doesn't mean you can be a good coach ..

Fully agree but he is certainly going about it the right way. Leon Cameron looks like a good young coach and from what we have heard Gia is doing a good job early on in his coaching career.

I think players are actually thinking about it while still playing nowadays and that is a big change from the old "Oh yeah I might as well coach" attitude that many retired players had a while ago.

Ozza
12-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Mitchell is one of the smartest footballers the game has ever seen. There's no guarantees about smart footballers making good coaches - but if I barracked for West Coast - I'd be very happy to hear that he was coming over.

ledge
12-10-2016, 01:54 PM
From what I hear Gia will coach our VFL side next year with Hansen moving to an assistant role in AFL.

Ozza
12-10-2016, 02:05 PM
From what I hear Gia will coach our VFL side next year with Hansen moving to an assistant role in AFL.

Pretty good succession plan we have happening there.
Coach the VFL until you get a flag, and then the next assistant coach gets the gig!

ledge
12-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Pretty good succession plan we have happening there.
Coach the VFL until you get a flag, and then the next assistant coach gets the gig!

Apparently Hansen wanted another year coaching VFL but Bevo said he wanted him up for next year. And Gia really wants to coach a side.
Everything running smoothly :-)

bornadog
12-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Makes sense, where was this reported?

ledge
12-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Makes sense, where was this reported?
Just what I hear around places, not reported.

Max469
12-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I have heard the same.