PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 11

Eastdog
27-05-2014, 05:36 PM
This is the round 11 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
01-06-2014, 06:43 PM
B: Cooney, Roughie, Macrae

A: (sorry) Griffen, Roberts, Howard

Bumper Bulldogs
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Bankers - Murphy, Roughead, Morris

Anchors - MC

boydogs
01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Bankers

Winning the clearances despite getting smashed in the hitouts
Plenty of ball to the forwards
Umpiring in our favour

Anchors

6 goals from 67 inside 50's
Griffen unable to break the tag
Too many passengers

Ghost Dog
01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Anchors: Our half back line. Getting the ball well, but you have to be very clean against Freo and not bomb it under pressure.
. I'd rather they ran all the way and had a shot on goal from 60, trying to kick over the zone.

Bankers: Minson - thought he did well against two very strong men today.

bornadog
01-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Bankers

*Libba - Never gives up and was against one of the best midfield sides, and did well.
* Macrae - once he builds up his fitness base and core strength, he will be a gun
* Morris - where would we be without him.

Anchors

*Griffen - shocking game - 2 disposals to half time - yeah Crowley is good, but Griffen I thought was better.
* Coaching Moves - Roughead and Roberts in the forward line - didn't work, those players have been learning to be backman and were clueless up forward.
*The Players - one player continually putting the other under pressure, whether by foot, or hand.

kruder
01-06-2014, 10:22 PM
All about Morris for me. Bloody sensational...

EasternWest
01-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Bankers.

After all this time, Dale Morris is so hugely underrated. I'm even still guilty of it. He's a wonderful, wonderful player and as brave a player as I've ever seen. He's never daunted and rarely beaten.

I think there really is a spot in our side for Tutt. I'm just not sure of how we can get the best out of him. I was frustrated today because he didn't really capitalise on the opportunities that arose for him, but on the other hand I was pleased enough that he was often in the right spot.

Griffen was pretty manful against Crowley today, but he needs more help. Nevertheless, I thought his workrate while being weld held was exemplary.

Anchors
Higgins looks good across half back, but he has no care about what he does with the ball. Seriously, for a guy with 'silky skills' his application of them leaves a lot to be desired.

Cooney is just a paycheck player now. I'd like to see a call made on him.

macca
01-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Bankers:
1. hrovat knows how to find the ball and could have finished with 3 goals. Painful that he was onleade in forward line
And no one locked to him
2.koby Stevens: his got guts and is around the half forward line today. Just need to improve his kicking. Kicked 2 goals and could have has more
3. Minson : battled against 2 strong boddies , and Dalhousie tough and always in the contest
Anchors: 1. Our forward line is terrible . No one to kick to lead as roughest, Williams. And no idea.
Why are we persisting with Williams? Kicking into space where there are 3 Freo players
2. Who was manning up zac Clarke after half time?
3. Gia mad impact at 3qtr time with 2 goal assists . But seriously is he our best small forward
4. Our kicking is terrible and in last qtr handballing to team mates stationary or were tagged

G-Mo77
01-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Bankers

When the chips are down Morris is always our guy and like EasternWest said I think we all take him for granted at times.

Libba is just crazy good.

Wallis shutting down Fyfe and winning plenty of his own pill. Thought he was really good today.

Anchors

The guy who thought it would be a good idea to give Howard a game, the guy who thought it'd be a good idea to give Howard another year, the guy who thought it would be a good idea to draft Howard. I'm combining 3 anchors into one here. This guy is no good, do not play him again!

Griffen got pantsed today and seemed to let it happen. Really disappointing.

Kobe. I can't question his effort and will but I'm starting to think he hates everyone of his teammates with his hospital disposal.

The bulldog tragician
02-06-2014, 12:26 AM
B:
Great to see the Rat in. He will make it, has nous, courage.
Dale, what a lion heart.
Libber. Class all the way.
A:
Seeing silky Murph botch his disposals. He was at least trying to create something, but seeing even his flair vanish was painful.
The moment I looked at the 3/4 stats and saw 54 inside 50s, and five goals. Excruciating.
I'm sorry, but I can't take people who abuse, insult, and belittle our players and club during a match. It's fine to debate on forums like this whether player x will make it, where their positions are, has our recruiting been any good, are the MC on the ball. It's all open for debate, thats fair enough, i just hate seeing a mindless mob begin abusing individuals. I don't know any more than most of us whether BMac is going to lead us to the promised land, and I suspect Christian Howard isn't going to make it, but I really hate seeing our fans get publicly abusive and ugly in their direction. I've waited a long long time for success too and feel as disheartened as anyone here,but "fans" who gather to yell abuse at BMac leave me cold, so they're my biggest anchor.

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Anchors:

Our Defenders who time after time got caught out by Freo on the break.

Freo just applied the defensive pressure then spread the ball quickly forward to the advantage their quicker forwards and they converted just about every time.

Our Coaches for playing straight into the hands of Ross Lyon's style of play and not reacting at all once again.

LostDoggy
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Bankers

The guy who thought it would be a good idea to give Howard a game, the guy who thought it'd be a good idea to give Howard another year, the guy who thought it would be a good idea to draft Howard. I'm combining 3 anchors into one here. This guy is no good, do not play him again!.

Just laughed coke out my nose reading this. Thank you. Needed the cleansing after yesterday!

Bankers: Morris, Morris, Morris - gets better and better and more essential every game. Titan.

KT31
02-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Just laughed coke out my nose reading this. Thank you. Needed the cleansing after yesterday!

Bankers: Morris, Morris, Morris - gets better and better and more essential every game. Titan.

Didn't take you as one who indulged in the nose candy SD.:D

Ozza
02-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Bankers:

Libba - Does it all. Most possession (incl. most contested), most clearances, most tackles, equal most pressure acts and score involvements. He even was the only one I noticed getting into Crowley a bit.
Wallis - good to see him back in and having a mostly positive game. Think he lifts our ferocity and urgency at the stoppages....although I'd like him to cut out that handball from his game that is fired off too quick without looking, and to a man standing still.
Morris - does some brilliant work one on one....saves us so many times.

Anchors:
Williams - unfortunately looked really bad in contests. Worked into space ok a few times up the ground, but inside 50 was just taking up space.
Howard - again, unfortunately he really struggles to reach the appropriate intensity. It sounds petty, but even in the warm up I find he is just cruising around in drills a bit, giving no look handballs, looking fairly laconic kicking the footy. Out on the field his disposal let us down, and he spectated around the contests.
Cooney - Just for a bit of lack of care with the ball, and lack of creativity for someone of his stature - just belting it forward 45 metres....and thought he lacked urgency below his knees at times.

ratsmac
02-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Bankers:

Libba - Does it all. Most possession (incl. most contested), most clearances, most tackles, equal most pressure acts and score involvements. He even was the only one I noticed getting into Crowley a bit.
Wallis - good to see him back in and having a mostly positive game. Think he lifts our ferocity and urgency at the stoppages....although I'd like him to cut out that handball from his game that is fired off too quick without looking, and to a man standing still.
Morris - does some brilliant work one on one....saves us so many times.

Anchors:
Williams - unfortunately looked really bad in contests. Worked into space ok a few times up the ground, but inside 50 was just taking up space.
Howard - again, unfortunately he really struggles to reach the appropriate intensity. It sounds petty, but even in the warm up I find he is just cruising around in drills a bit, giving no look handballs, looking fairly laconic kicking the footy. Out on the field his disposal let us down, and he spectated around the contests.
Cooney - Just for a bit of lack of care with the ball, and lack of creativity for someone of his stature - just belting it forward 45 metres....and thought he lacked urgency below his knees at times.

This is what infuriated me the most. I can handle some errant disposal in his first game of the season against one of the best pressure sides in the comp, but I hated how he wouldn't put his body in the contest like every other player (both teams) were doing.

BANKERS

Morris- As dougie would say "he's the Rolls Royce" Opponents must hate it when they see him walking towards them at the start of the game.

Libba - Tony must be as proud as punch with the way Jnr carries himself on the footy field. He never ever leaves anything in the change rooms. Thank you Tom.

Wallis - Fantastic effort to take his medicine and come back in the team and play on one of the best players in the AFL and beat him on the day.

ANCHORS

Losing - Friggin sick of losing.

Griffen - Had his colours lowered by Crowley. I actually expected a big game from Griff coming of a good game against Gold coast. He had his side step back last week, this week he couldn't get a sniff.

Not being ready for freo's fast break - Hello MC. We played this mob in a practice match and they did the exact same thing. Did we not have a plan in place to counter this? Or was it the cattle to carry out the plan? Dunno. I thought we sucked their zone up the ground better in the NAB than we did on Sunday allowing our forwards space to lead into.

Williams - Not a forward, forwards can mark.

Howard - ?? I don't know what to say. He is just an anchor.

Remi Moses
02-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Bankers - the kids Macrae, Hrovat, Bonts Wallis. The future

Anchors - defending the slingshot. We just don't defend out of the contest
No more plodders please! Run carry, didn't see it
Adam Cooney. Not good enough for a senior player! Spectating
The forward line. It's a debacle

F'scary
02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Bankers: the 18 of the 22 selected who played really well and got the ball into the 50m zone so many times.

Anchors: the way all 22 selected players just can't seem to team together with any panache.