PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 13

Eastdog
13-06-2014, 12:28 PM
This is the round 13 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 06:33 PM
B & a

bornadog
15-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Bankers

*Griffen - until his injury he was back to his best - really set this game up.

* The whole team - The Bulldog Spirit, we wanted a win and we got one, especially the YOUNG GUNS

* Minson - Back to AA form

Anchors

* Why did you miss goal number 5 Jonesie

* Cooney's hammie - hope it is just a tweak and no more.

* Putting Morris on Cloke - OH Please Coach it was never going to work

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Bankers:

Every single member of the team.

That is all. I'm crying, boys, I'm goddamn crying.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Bankers:

That is all. I'm crying, boys, I'm goddamn crying.

So proud today

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Bankers:

This, amazing game, so much emotion in the win. great day to be a bulldog

Doc26
15-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Bankers

* Minson - Back to AA form

Good call on Minno. Our lone ruckman with 43 hit outs today. Heat has been on him this week and he stepped up. Well done Will. A grand effort.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 07:34 PM
B:

Standing up for 187 seconds. Tired, weak, slower but strong willed and strong hearted, and the kids showing the next legacy of the club will be their legacy.

Gia showing that he's not a spent force or semi retired. When we needed him in the first 3 quarters he was there leading the kids.

Libba for the Triple Double: 23 CP, 13 clearances, 10 tackles

Anchors:

Cloke finding goal kicking form for the first time this year.

Some of holding the ball calls were 'fascinating'.

Cooney's hamstring, I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Bankers: the blokes did the unsung stuff today like

1. Roughead - Battled manfully on Cloke when put on him.
2. Wood - The Great Negator.
3. Higgins - go in and got dirty deep down back. What a transformation from a show pony!!!

Anchors

1. Club Management for not promoting Austin at the end of last season. He is a useful depth player.
2. Crameri - obviously a lot on his mind but in some games he takes his eyes off the ball before he has got it, holds on to the ball too long and tries to finesse too much - this was one of those games
3. Coach for not starting Roughead on Cloke.

westdog54
15-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Bankers

Jones. Superlatives just aren't enough today. Incredible game.
Bontempelli. There are breakout games, and the are breakout games. Unbelievable.
Griffen. Pulled Macaffer's pants down.

Anchors

Crameri. I'll put it down to the events of the week but he had no impact today.

Cooney's hammy. At least there is a spot for Honeychurch next week.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Cooney's hammy. At least there is a spot for Honeychurch next week.

or Boyd

Remi Moses
15-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Bankers - Bonts, breakout game
Libba 23 clearances ( phenomenal )
Minson ( thought he was lucky to remain in the side, but he answered the coaches call to lift).
Jones ( the run down) the effort was great. He needs to do this consistently
Macrae ( smart smart footballer) future capt.
The Coach ( took the heat, as he should and didn't deflect like some have done
Good move isolating Langdon on Jones
Anchors - none today. There's been enough negativity on here without making some petty whinge

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Bankers

Well done to the coaching team. They have shown faith in our guys, under much scrutiny. Tutt, Wallis, Stevens and others repaid that faith today. Hopefully a defining moment in the psyche of all those guys going forward.

To all of our guys today, well done for the single - mindedness, the way you did not wilt when it got desperate. So proud.

Macrae, Libba and Bontempelli. The way these guys operated in the 3rd Qtr especially was breathtaking to watch.

Anchors.

Umpiring. I thought the umpiring was atrocious and I thought it would conspire to cost us the game.

Melbourne beating the Bombers. We deserve back page of all papers tomorrow. I hope the Bombers narrative doesn't mean the Demons get the kudos over our performance.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Bankers
Bonts - truly a fantastic game, one of many to come
Libba - better than the old man.
Gia - you answered anyone who wants to challenge why the club kept you on for another season

Anchors
Swan for the cheap shot on Picken, just like Franklin he will get off
The umpires - You actually need to have an opportunity to get it off before you pay holding the ball!

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I forgot;

Marley Wiliams you little thug, I hope you get weeks. (He got reported for striking)

SlimPickens
15-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Banker-
Minson- was scathing of his game last week. Thought he was huge today.

Our young leaders- Dahl, Libba, Wallis, Roughead and Macrae were all very good today.

Jones- love the away he worked and how the players kicked to him with confidence that he would give us something. 4 goals could have easily been 5 was great reward for effort.

Little self indulgent but I had my first child on Tuesday, my wife barracks for the filth and for us to win this game was just the icing on a pretty amazing week. I will remember this game forever.
Anchors-
Commentary- At stages I was pretty sure only Scott Pendlebury was playing.

Marley Williams- throwing elbows at Hrovat.What a germ.

That's all.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Congrats to you Slim and the better half. Everyone doing well?

azabob
15-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Congrats to you Slim and the better half. Everyone doing well?

Also congrats Slim, surely your new addition must be a dogs supporter?

The bulldog tragician
15-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Banker-

Our young leaders- Dahl, Libba, Wallis, Roughead and Macrae were all very good today.

Jones- love the away he worked and how the players kicked to him with confidence that he would give us something. 4 goals could have easily been 5 was great reward for
Little self indulgent but I had my first child on Tuesday, my wife barracks for the filth and for us to win this game was just the icing on a pretty amazing week. I will remember this game forever.
Anchors-

That's all.

Congrats Slim. Has the all important question of the baby's footy team been settled, though?:)

It's been a memorable week for you, hope all doing well.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Slim.

boydogs
15-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Bankers

Getting it into the forward line quickly
Finding space and hitting targets with short passes and handballs inside 50
Hitting back whenever Collingwood got a run on

Anchors

Wallis couldn't get a handle on Pendlebury and gave away too many frees trying to
Crameri too loose with the ball, kicking it off the ground and not hitting the target via handball
Giving Cloke a clean run at the ball and trying to spoil from a standing start underneath it

G-Mo77
15-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Banker-

Well done mate, congrats. Your child has to be a Doggies supporter now. It's a sign. :)

Bankers.

Hard to just pick out 3. All across the board we had contributors who did their part. The club copped it from every angle, even from their own (including me) and it was good to see them step up and claim that scalp we've been so close to in previous occasions.

Anchors.

Umpiring. What is holding the ball now? I think we get severely short changed with the whistles.

Jones' miss at goal. Did almost everything right all game. Costly miss at a crucial time.

Cooney's injury. The only really negative to take out of this game.

SlimPickens
15-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Also congrats Slim, surely your new addition must be a dogs supporter?

She doesn't have a choice, she has had a bulldogs teddy in her cot since the minute she was born. Already a member also.

Everyone doing well, thanks for the well wishes all.:)

Hotdog60
15-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Banker-

Jones- love the away he worked and how the players kicked to him with confidence that he would give us something. 4 goals could have easily been 5 was great reward for effort.

Anchors-

That's all.

Congrats Slim to you and the other half (I was going to say better half but remembered you said she barrack for Collingwood:))
Now it won't be the Dogs that will give you a restless night.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 09:50 PM
She doesn't have a choice, she has had a bulldogs teddy in her cot since the minute she was born. Already a member also.

Maybe this could be a strategy to get 10,000 new members by about next pre-season?? The game today was the equivalent of some Barry White or Marvin Gaye heavy base music.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 10:03 PM
The umpires - You actually need to have an opportunity to get it off before you pay holding the ball!

Ed and Dermie on Fox Footy tonight were harping on about this also, so at least it's not just the Dogs copping this, though I'll go so far as to say it's always one-sided. Ie. one team seems to get the decisions and the other doesn't.

If you hadve told me we'd win with Cloke kicking six and McInerney/Chamberpot officiating, I'd have thought you were mental.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 10:26 PM

Everyone doing well, thanks for the well wishes all.:)

Congratulations. Now to change the wife to a Doggies supporter.

SonofScray
15-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Bankers:
Tutt - goals. Important part of footy and he works hard to get them, took his chances. Kicked a winner in a clutch scenario.
Jones - great all round performance from a guy who cops a lot of heat, on field and off. Set the tone for his peers with run and chase.
Libba - A grade, top notch game. Immense.

Anchors:
Incorrect disposal decisions. I don't know why they bother showing the 'Laws Of the Game' clip pre game. Umpire to the rules please.
Dane Swan elbow. Cheap shot.
My mates who didn't get to the game. I told you so!

bornadog
15-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Bankers:
Dane Swan elbow. Cheap shot. !

Wallis should have had a free in front of goal for that.

What about bloody Cloke with his hand in Rougheads face so many times. One stage had his hand across the face in his eyes, of course no free kick. They had 9 more frees than us, disgraceful umpiring.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Congratulations. Now to change the wife to a Doggies supporter.

Geez BAD, leaving your wife, just after having a baby, for a Dogs supporter. Rough.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Geez BAD, leaving your wife, just after having a baby, for a Dogs supporter. Rough.

Very Funny :D

westbulldog
15-06-2014, 11:12 PM
The whole team and the coach were bankers today. As Ted would have said, you "stuck it up" the critics. Hard to describe the quality of Tom Liberatore's outstanding game.

Scorlibo
15-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Bankers

Bonts - His addition to the midfield completes the mix.
Minson - loved his bullish work.
Grant - really impressive how he thinks his way through situations, a little bit Gia-like.

Anchors

Hrovat - just missed a couple of marks he should have taken. To his credit had a good last quarter and should keep his spot on that basis.
Crameri - out of form.
Melbourne - for stealing our spotlight.

Ozza
16-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Banker-

Anchors-

That's all.

Your father in law will be filthy, Slim! I'll be sure to stir him next time I see him round the traps!

Ozza
16-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Bankers:

Minson- had him in the anchor section last week, so only fair to balance the ledger after a hell of a performance.
Libba- because he's a banker every week. Enormous. Thumping clearances, magic hands (that 'steal' in the third!) and just his will to get to every important stoppage and so many contests and win them.
Tutt- stepping up and sealing it, but also for the way he attacked the ball a few minutes earlier in a crucial moment. His confidence is building.
Have to throw in extras- Jones' presence, Dahlhaus' ability to work in a phone booth and get us chances to score, Macrae and Bont lifting in the third, Rougheads countless big spoils, Wallis sticking to the task manfully all day despite being beaten against an outstanding opponent.

Anchors:
Pass. Well, maybe just the first 10-12 minutes of umpiring!

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 12:55 AM

It's the True Way or the highway baby.

Happy Days
16-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Bankers

Bontempelli the based god, that was so awesome. His kicking was dramatically undersold that boot is raking.

Hrovat, for taking professional boxer Marley Williams to a decision; hear he only has ko's up to this point

The whole midfield; Minson, Griffen, Libba and Macrae all seriously turned up

Anchors

Crameri, looked like he came to the game straight from Brown Alley

Morris on Cloke

I dunno, Christian Howard?

always right
16-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Just finished watching the game again......been a great weekend;)

B:
Minson's influence on the game was immense. Well done big fella.
Bont's game, especially the third quarter gave us a real glimpse of a very special talent.
Jones....emphasised the importance if having a target who makes a contest. Just his presence created a number of goals

A:
Not many this round but some minor observations.

Crameri is an "almost" player. He just lets himself down with some silly decisions.
Umpire McInerney.....he really is an appalling umpire
For such a great win it was a little disappointing that so few of our fans were there to enjoy it with me.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Bankers:

Libba - nothing more needs to be said that hasn't been said already

Jones - His effort was 100% all day. Loved the chase down and holding the ball on Lumumba.

The whole team effort. Made it very difficult selecting the votes.

Anchors:

The Umpiring - the non holding the ball, holding the ball calls. The cheap shots they got away with (Swans on Wallis, Cloke's smothering of Roughead's face) and the 'Pendlebury rule'

azabob
16-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Bankers:

Libba- because he's a banker every week. Enormous. Thumping clearances, magic hands (that 'steal' in the third!) and just his will to get to every important stoppage and so many contests and win them.
!

You could just tell he wanted the ball back, considering he was the one who turned it over. Out and out gun.

ratsmac
16-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Bankers

Libba - again. What a warrior!

Bontempelli - he is looking very promising. I love those long arms. He moves faster than he looks.

Jones - this is the effort that will reap rewards for him. It makes such a difference when we have a genuine target up forward.

Fast ball movement - we created space and opportunities for our forwards to move when we moved the ball fast. It was clear that the players were instructed to move the ball on quickly. I wonder if they have been told in previous weeks to move the ball slower and try control the tempo of the game. I like the fast version better anyway :)

Anchors

Crameri - seems a bit off at the moment.

Umpires - the non free kicks.

Bulldogs supporters - the club copped a hiding in the media during the week so I would of thought there would of been a better turn out from our supporters. I was not looking forward to the game but I was looking forward to seeing a response from the boys. Those who didn't show up missed out on a cracker of a response.

ratsmac
16-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Bankers: the blokes did the unsung stuff today like

1. Roughead - Battled manfully on Cloke when put on him.
2. Wood - The Great Negator.
3. Higgins - go in and got dirty deep down back. What a transformation from a show pony!!!

Anchors

1. Club Management for not promoting Austin at the end of last season. He is a useful depth player.
2. Crameri - obviously a lot on his mind but in some games he takes his eyes off the ball before he has got it, holds on to the ball too long and tries to finesse too much - this was one of those games
3. Coach for not starting Roughead on Cloke.

This has completely changed my thoughts on Higgins. I am loving the 2014 version. I would like to see him thrown forward every now and then to try pinch a couple of goals.

SlimPickens
17-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Your father in law will be filthy, Slim! I'll be sure to stir him next time I see him round the traps!

He was only filthy because he didn't back the doggies. Reckon I've almost got him converted ;)

Murphy'sLore
17-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Anchor
Me, for being too superstitious to turn on the DVR when we were looking good in the first quarter. :(

Remi Moses
17-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Anchor - Bruce ( did anyone hear his "pendlebury pendelbury oh pendlebury"?
Sounded like he was getting busy with himself. Weird

jeemak
17-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Best pants off Bruthy effort for the day.

I seriously have NFI who the guy appeals to. He perverts an otherwise enjoyable game of footy any chance he gets.

Murphy'sLore
17-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Though it can be quite fun to try to sneak in your own cry of "Cle-ver!" or "He looks good, doesn't he?" just before Bruce says it...

Maddog37
17-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Count the number of times he says "couldn't quite....." Without finishing the sentence. Scary stuff but still 1000 times better than Dwayne.

LostDoggy
17-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Count the number of times he says "couldn't quite....." Without finishing the sentence. Scary stuff but still 1000 times better than Dwayne.

Yep, count the amount of times Dwayne lists the players the arent playing for each side and also "this is the biggest lead of the match" cringe worthy.

bornadog
17-06-2014, 05:31 PM
I am not a fan of Denis either, he loves the sound of his own voice.

LostDoggy
17-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Bankers

Bulldogs supporters - the club copped a hiding in the media during the week so I would of thought there would of been a better turn out from our supporters. I was not looking forward to the game but I was looking forward to seeing a response from the boys. Those who didn't show up missed out on a cracker of a response.

This is why I go to every match I can and stay for its entirety. You never know what will happen in a game. Even if we lose it's worth going to see an awesome mark, goal or courageous act or the emergence of a young gun.

Remi Moses
17-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I'd take Bruce and all his fawning over that South Australian Peanut Russell.
Didn't mind the club copping the blow torch last week, but there were a few who applied it with a little interest .
Irrelevant club , dud club. I can't stand his obnoxious conceited windbag voice nor his opinion .

Jam Donuts
17-06-2014, 06:18 PM

I just watched the replay again (3rd time) he was definitely up to something, the commentary was totally cringeworthy, Pendlebury got mentioned every 5 seconds, he must have had 50 kicks 73 handballs and kicked 12 goals, it really is embarrassing, " you just feel" that it is worth going to the game just so you don't have to hear Bruce and co, getting their rocks off!!!!! When Bruce says every 10 seconds " You just feel" well we know what he is just feeling and I'd rather not listen to it.

always right
17-06-2014, 06:35 PM
This is why I go to every match I can and stay for its entirety. You never know what will happen in a game. Even if we lose it's worth going to see an awesome mark, goal or courageous act or the emergence of a young gun.

Or a spontaneous hug between Mr Bontempelli and son:D

Is there a better feeling than the moment the players all gather at the top of the race after a win and leave the stadium as victors? Perhaps only topped by the smug self satisfied look on my face as opposition supporters file past me.

Those who couldn't/wouldn't attend the game on Sunday certainly missed out.

Happy Days
19-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Best pants off Bruthy effort for the day.

I seriously have NFI who the guy appeals to. He perverts an otherwise enjoyable game of footy any chance he gets.

http://youtu.be/tFNmrx1Q6vI

Relevant

EasternWest
19-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Relevant

Well that's just uncomfortable.

Also, what's with your sig? I just had a look at his Twitter and he seems like a grade A knob.

jeemak
19-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Also, what's with your sig? I just had a look at his Twitter and he seems like a grade A knob.

Or at the very least, somewhat of an eccentric.

always right
19-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Relevant

Wow. Creepy.

Twodogs
19-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Or a spontaneous hug between Mr Bontempelli and son:D

Is there a better feeling than the moment the players all gather at the top of the race after a win and leave the stadium as victors? Perhaps only topped by the smug self satisfied look on my face as opposition supporters file past me.

Those who couldn't/wouldn't attend the game on Sunday certainly missed out.

Relevant

That's Homer Simpson's favourite song.

bornadog
19-06-2014, 07:41 PM
That's Homer Simpson's favourite song.

http://youtu.be/JeOf3VZeMlY

Happy Days
20-06-2014, 01:45 AM

I think he's a genius.