PDA

View Full Version : The Rumour Mill

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Dry Rot
14-08-2014, 06:19 PM
If this should happen, I hope we get Cameron or Boyd.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I think you're bang on the money J. GWS will make big noise about how there's no chance any of the 3 will be traded, but if they're smart they'll accept they're going to lose at least one and make the trade while they have the player under contract. They hold all the cards this trade period, next year they're at the whim of the player, especially if he doesn't care where he goes as long as it's in Melbourne and the money is right.

It would add substance to their decision to 'over recruit' a number of KPPS too.

I still think they'll be too stubborn to actually do it (ie. they'll demand ridiculous trades that no club will be willing to do).

From Pattons point of view, I wonder how much GWS are offering him. It must surely be bloody enticing to come to our rising club, back home in Melbourne, for 900K/year.

wimberga
14-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Champion data tweeted the following:

pic.twitter.com/sIZdb0U73l

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed it into this post as it kept saying it was too large.

Basically shows key forwards in their first 3 years and where they rank for goals per 100 inside 50's. Jezza Cameron is number 1, followed by Franklin, Tippet and then Patton is 4th. Pretty impressive.

GVGjr
14-08-2014, 08:00 PM
If sydney traded for an early 1st rounder, wouldn't they be forced to use it on issac heeney (syd academy player)? Trading happens before the bidding system for the draft, unless I'm mistaken. Would be pointless for sydney to move up the draft order imo, unless they wanted the extra late 1st rounder on someone else.

No, just the natural pick. Father/Son and academy players happen before the trade period

GVGjr
14-08-2014, 08:20 PM
If we were to land Reid I'd be more comfortable if we somehow traded away our pick 6 for two later first round picks, one to be used to secure Reid with the other to be used to secure some young talent in an even pool.

We still need to keep bringing in young talent through the draft. Our overall list talent isn't quite there yet but is getting better, and while some might not want to spend pick 6 on a KPD which we sorely need, perhaps a pick in the late first round would be more palatable.

Yep, pick 6 for Reid is overs unless we are getting a bit back.

jeemak
14-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Yep, pick 6 for Reid is overs unless we are getting a bit back.

Would giving the swans pick 6, plus our second round pick in exchange for Reid and the Swans first and second round picks be suitable?

That's almost there for me.

GVGjr
14-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Would giving the swans pick 6, plus our second round pick in exchange for Reid and the Swans first and second round picks be suitable?

The Swans first pick will be used on a NSW academy player in Issac Heeney. They would need to do something else which makes it that much harder. We might also need to use our 2nd round pick on Cordy which limits options of flip flopping draft picks even further.

We could possibly trade our pick 6 with another side for something a bit later.

It will be tough to get the deal done I would have thought with what we have and our probable commitment to Cordy.

Remi Moses
14-08-2014, 11:17 PM
What I've been reading Zaine isn't worth a second rounder.

jeemak
14-08-2014, 11:28 PM
The Swans first pick will be used on a NSW academy player in Issac Heeney. They would need to do something else which makes it that much harder. We might also need to use our 2nd round pick on Cordy which limits options of flip flopping draft picks even further.

We could possibly trade our pick 6 with another side for something a bit later.

It will be tough to get the deal done I would have thought with what we have and our probable commitment to Cordy.

Forgot about Heeney. Trading with Sydney is certainly a tough ask this year as a result of that.

Dry Rot
15-08-2014, 12:15 AM

Swans would laugh at that from the SCG to Homebush.

Next year, say Roughie wants to leave. What trade would you take?

jeemak
15-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Are you saying Reid and Roughead are aligned in terms of value? Or are you saying that's over for Reid?

As for your question, I'd prefer nothing but I'd think he'd command a high second round pick. It depends on who wanted him and what we needed at the time of course.

lemmon
15-08-2014, 12:24 AM
With the cap squeeze on I wonder whether the Swans would be more receptive to our first rounder for Reid and a player yet to fully establish themselves? Someone along the lines of a Towers, Rampe, Membrey even Alex Johnson after his third knee reco. I would be more receptive to the deal if we got another player to slot into our 22

Dry Rot
15-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Are you saying Reid and Roughead are aligned in terms of value? Or are you saying that's over for Reid?

As for your question, I'd prefer nothing but I'd think he'd command a high second round pick. It depends on who wanted him and what we needed at the time of course.

What you proposed is way under for Reid. I can't see that a decent KP player would go for less than a first rounder.

Your reply re Roughead is a fair one. Just seeing what people think - teams generally overvalue their players. Sadly Roughie isn't a great FB, ruckman or forward.

Dry Rot
15-08-2014, 01:29 AM
With the cap squeeze on I wonder whether the Swans would be more receptive to our first rounder for Reid and a player yet to fully establish themselves? Someone along the lines of a Towers, Rampe, Membrey even Alex Johnson after his third knee reco. I would be more receptive to the deal if we got another player to slot into our 22

This is all a market thing. If Reid declared he just wanted to leave, the Swans would find suitors offering their first round pick.

Remi Moses
15-08-2014, 01:52 AM
What you proposed is way under for Reid. I can't see that a decent KP player would go for less than a first rounder.

Your reply re Roughead is a fair one. Just seeing what people think - teams generally overvalue their players. Sadly Roughie isn't a great FB, ruckman or forward.

Not yet he isn't . You'd get a late first round early second for Reid to be honest.
Granted it's a great front half, but he isn't really playing as a kpp.

Mofra
15-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Not yet he isn't . You'd get a late first round early second for Reid to be honest.
I think he's worth more - KPFs don't grow on trees and plenty of teams are chasing one, it's a sellers market.
Carlton, St Kilda & Brisbane are competing with us for a start, and Freo want a Pav replacement.

jeemak
15-08-2014, 10:18 AM

I guess that means we rate Reid differently. We picked up Crameri with pick 26, and he had plenty of exposed form. If Reid wanted to go there'd probably be a reasonable gap between what the Swans wanted and what they'd ultimately settle for.

Prior to GVG pointing out the Swans first pick will be used on a scholarship player (deeming the scenario moot), an upgrade to the top five, and the low to mid 20's from the mid to high teens and the mid thirties respectively would probably be appealing to the Swans if push came to shove.

Mofra
15-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Prior to GVG pointing out the Swans first pick will be used on a scholarship player (deeming the scenario moot), an upgrade to the top five, and the low to mid 20's from the mid to high teens and the mid thirties respectively would probably be appealing to the Swans if push came to shove.
As an aside, is their second pick designated towards an academy player too?
There was talk of a promising type in addition to Heeney coming through the system.

jeemak
15-08-2014, 11:46 AM
As an aside, is their second pick designated towards an academy player too?
There was talk of a promising type in addition to Heeney coming through the system.

I thought there was another top prospect coming through next year in addition to Heeney.

soupman
15-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I thought there was another top prospect coming through next year in addition to Heeney.

Finlayson?

LostDoggy
15-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Ah the academy, just another concession for the folks north of the border. Must say I don't agree with Eddie on much but I am squarely in his corner regarding ditching Sydney's freebies.

Just on Cordy, I don't know if we would bother using a second round pick on him (considering we will be fairly early in the second round. I especially don' think that we should trumpet that we will be taking him regardless or that we have committed to him as then as sure as shit in a goose another club will make us pay the maximum.

LostDoggy
15-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Finlayson?

Callum Mills

bulldogtragic
15-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Ah the academy, just another concession for the folks north of the border. Must say I don't agree with Eddie on much but I am squarely in his corner regarding ditching Sydney's freebies.

Just on Cordy, I don't know if we would bother using a second round pick on him (considering we will be fairly early in the second round. I especially don' think that we should trumpet that we will be taking him regardless or that we have committed to him as then as sure as shit in a goose another club will make us pay the maximum.

It's not about bother, Zaine is going to be a very good player. I think most who have watched him closely this year agree with this sentiment. If we get him for a third rounder (especially with the compo which could see it pick 45+) it will be daylight robbery.

LostDoggy
15-08-2014, 10:41 PM
If we take Zaine with 2nd pick or 4th pick it really doesn't matter if he's going to bloom as you think he will. I've only seen him in the championships, which he didn't set alight, but you rarely expect young dour defenders too. What do you really see as his strengths/weaknesses as now?

LostDoggy
15-08-2014, 10:46 PM
It's not about bother, Zaine is going to be a very good player. I think most who have watched him closely this year agree with this sentiment. If we get him for a third rounder (especially with the compo which could see it pick 45+) it will be daylight robbery.

Not that your position as founder and Managing Director of his fan club sways your position:)!

I can only judge on what I have read as I haven't seen him but to your point, I would love to snag him with a third rounder, but 45+ is a long way from 25, 26 if we are forced to use our second rounder on him. I just worry that if we show our hand with him too early (with talk like "commitment to Zaine Cordy") it could come back to bite us.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2014, 11:05 PM
If we take Zaine with 2nd pick or 4th pick it really doesn't matter if he's going to bloom as you think he will. I've only seen him in the championships, which he didn't set alight, but you rarely expect young dour defenders too. What do you really see as his strengths/weaknesses as now?

Agree that his champs weren't great, which is good by the club if anything. I think some of the statements by some TAC watchers about being like Dale Morris have missed facts of the circumstances, because unless he grows some more and bulks a heap he's not a genuine Morris like third tall type. Because he's been very handy as a CHB seems to be confusing some in my opinion. As I see it today Zaine will transition into more of a Bob Murphy type of player, that is to say tall enough but fit and quick enough to 'play tall' as needed (not always) but fleet of foot to be more offensive than a stopper. Some games (early this year) where he has been allowed to run, carry and create he was dynamite and his last quarter in the country round was good watching after he took the game on after his opponents were taking him back to the goal line to try to nullify him. He takes the tackler on, tackles well, reads the play very well and I think his disposal efficiency is very, very good. So I think these skills are his strength, which have not been allowed to be seen most weeks as his height have forced him to CHB or FB.

His main weakness is his frame. He's bigger than last year which is a positive, but when he stands a player like Wright we should all realise that because he's playing KPP against boys doesn't mean that's where he will make it. Like when Bobby was drafted we will have to be patient for him to bulk and harden his body which with Footscray isn't an impediment the way it once might have been a factor. He will need to get used to the speed, particularly under pressure as if his weapon is disposal efficiency to hurt opponents as not all kids are Bontempelli, which is why he's not top 20 at this stage.

He's in the leadership group at the Falcons and I'm led to believe a very popular teammate, very intelligent and one of Macca's 'good young men' types which is helped by both Macca and his brother being around the Falcons Squad.

I think if he has a good combine he will firm into our second rounder, that's some others views too from what I've heard. Personally I'd pay that price. If he gets injured or otherwise has a standard combine, he could slip to our third. The only problem would be in future years debating whether Lachie Hunter or Zaine Cordy was the father-son steal of the decade.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Not that your position as founder and Managing Director of his fan club sways your position:)!

True but I'm only President because he's that good. Not sure if Westdog54 took up the secretary position on the executive though, so we may still have a vacancy. Usually my singling out of players starts when they're drafted, but last year I started hoping I'd see what I hoped for and I'm not standing down to let TwoDogs as my deputy take over. :)

LostDoggy
15-08-2014, 11:27 PM
The only problem would be in future years debating whether Lachie Hunter or Zaine Cordy was the father-son steal of the decade.

Libba at 41 doesn't even get in the conversation?

bulldogtragic
16-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Libba at 41 doesn't even get in the conversation?

Only on a technicality, that while he was 41 it was a second rounder. So he's the best second rounder steal. Currently best first round steal is Wallis. If Foster slips to the rookie draft then he's that by default I think.

The Doctor
21-08-2014, 09:43 AM
some talk on BF that we're into Billie Smedts from Geelong

Mofra
21-08-2014, 10:41 AM
The only problem would be in future years debating whether Lachie Hunter or Zaine Cordy was the father-son steal of the decade.
Given we took Libba for a pick in the 40s, the debate will be about second spot ;)

bornadog
21-08-2014, 10:46 AM
some talk on BF that we're into Billie Smedts from Geelong

Do we need a player like Billie?

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Do we need a player like Billie?

I think he'd be a god fit for us, and is in the right age profile. Could play off half back.

Greystache
21-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I think he'd be a god fit for us, and is in the right age profile. Could play off half back.

Hasn't there been much talk about his off field behaviour and questions over his training standards? If they're true I couldn't see us looking at him, despite family allegiances.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Not for me on Smedts.
Poor kick, and we need decent kicks

lemmon
21-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Not for me on Smedts.
Poor kick, and we need decent kicks

Agreed, can't imagine we'd be looking at Billie if there were no family connection. Doesn't use it well, doesn't find much of it and isn't overly athletic. Has been used as a medium, almost defensive, forward and has seemed out of his depth thus far.

Remi Moses
21-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Agreed, can't imagine we'd be looking at Billie if there were no family connection. Doesn't use it well, doesn't find much of it and isn't overly athletic. Has been used as a medium, almost defensive, forward and has seemed out of his depth thus far.

Could someone tell the media that the Cats do occasionally pick an average player.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Hasn't there been much talk about his off field behaviour and questions over his training standards? If they're true I couldn't see us looking at him, despite family allegiances.

You might be right, I'm honestly not sure - haven't heard it myself, but haven't been listening/paying attention. If that's the case, agreed - it would seem strange that we'd chase him.

G-Mo77
29-08-2014, 01:32 PM
AFL Draft, Trade, Free Agency, List and General News (Facebook)

The Western Bulldogs reportedly lead the race for Victoria-bound midfielder, Jonathan O’Rourke who was taken at selection two in the 2012 draft. O’Rourke, who has suffered from injury, mixed form and a lack of opportunities in his two years at the Giants will be looking for a fresh start back in Melbourne, with the Bulldogs likely suitors.

The Bulldogs were heavily into O’Rourke in the 2014 draft, before the Giants pounced at selection two.

chef
29-08-2014, 01:48 PM
If we use our first pick as bait I'll be pretty disappointed.

jeemak
29-08-2014, 02:04 PM
They wouldn't do that, surely.

Higgins compo would get it done, assuming it's directly after our second round pick.

Mantis
29-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Only seen a bit of O'Rourke, but I haven't been overly impressed.. Where would we see him fitting in?

Agree that we an early 2nd round pick (or something of equal value) should meet their needs.

LostDoggy
29-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Assuming he is out of contract? Nominate us and make GWS take a second rounder rather than nothing in the PSD!

Murphy'sLore
29-08-2014, 02:39 PM
My mother-in-law says she read something about Collingwood making an offer to Bob Murphy? Did anyone else see this?

If it's true, how very dare they??!!

westdog54
29-08-2014, 03:27 PM
My mother-in-law says she read something about Collingwood making an offer to Bob Murphy? Did anyone else see this?

If it's true, how very dare they??!!

I think he got a decent offer from them ages ago and knocked it back.

Twodogs
29-08-2014, 03:31 PM
And I think he mentioned in his Age article this week or maybe last week.

Happy Days
29-08-2014, 04:38 PM
And I think he mentioned in his Age article this week or maybe last week.

They made an offer to him right before he signed on again most recently, he knocked it back without any consideration.

lemmon
29-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Only seen a bit of O'Rourke, but I haven't been overly impressed.. Where would we see him fitting in?

Agree that we an early 2nd round pick (or something of equal value) should meet their needs.

Another handy midfield rotation, he uses the ball extremely well, has some wheels and is a nice mix of inside and outside. Problem has been continuity and finding the pill thus far. I'm a big fan, could easily develop him off a half back flank for a year or two

Remi Moses
29-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Very good junior career, but on current markets it would be a second rounder.

F'scary
29-08-2014, 08:58 PM
AFL Draft, Trade, Free Agency, List and General News (Facebook)

The Western Bulldogs reportedly lead the race for Victoria-bound midfielder, Jonathan O’Rourke who was taken at selection two in the 2012 draft. O’Rourke, who has suffered from injury, mixed form and a lack of opportunities in his two years at the Giants will be looking for a fresh start back in Melbourne, with the Bulldogs likely suitors.

The Bulldogs were heavily into O’Rourke in the 2014 draft, before the Giants pounced at selection two.

Another midfielder???

???

We'll be known as the Western Midfielders if we keep this up.

jeemak
29-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Another midfielder???

???

We need more midfielders, especially if they can use the ball.

Smith is a chance to have a limited career, and Prudden hasn't proven his body is up to the rigors of senior football yet.

boydogs
29-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Another midfielder???

???

If we don't do it you'll be left to tear your hair out over Koby Stevens' hospital handballs ;)

Dry Rot
29-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Aren't O'Rourke's hamstrings buggered?

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm uncertain on O'Rourke. He has looked untidy, rushed and a little timid at senior level the 3 or 4 times I've seen him. Having said that, a second round pick wouldn't be the worst move if we still rated him (we were into him prior to him being taken to GWS).

Having said that, he's only had 2 years in the system and I think some players require a little more patience (ie. Tyson for Melbourne - great trade).

I would be very disappointed if we coughed up anything more than that though.

boydogs
30-08-2014, 03:15 AM
I'm uncertain on O'Rourke. He has looked untidy, rushed and a little timid at senior level the 3 or 4 times I've seen him. Having said that, a second round pick wouldn't be the worst move if we still rated him (we were into him prior to him being taken to GWS).

Having said that, he's only had 2 years in the system and I think some players require a little more patience (ie. Tyson for Melbourne - great trade).

I would be very disappointed if we coughed up anything more than that though.

I really don't rate GWS or their program. O'Rourke is only listed at 78kg, yet when you look at the draft photo his arms were massive. Macrae from the same draft started out smaller but is now 5kg heavier than O'Rourke, and he's 4 months younger. Ollie Wines is 16kg heavier but 1cm shorter, and 6 months younger. He's even lighter than Sam Darley

GVGjr
30-08-2014, 10:10 AM
O'Rourke would be a nice addition but as others have mentioned we cannot pay overs. I'm not worried about his size because he can still add strength to his frame.

Go_Dogs
30-08-2014, 01:18 PM
O'Rourke would be a nice addition but as others have mentioned we cannot pay overs. I'm not worried about his size because he can still add strength to his frame.

I was a pretty big fan pre-draft, so I'm interested at what would be a discount price. Would compliment our midfield nicely.

anfo27
30-08-2014, 01:43 PM
He will come at a discount rate you would think as he has struggled in his first 2 years and he wants to come home. In the right environment where he can develop there is a good chance to pick up a steal here.

LostDoggy
30-08-2014, 02:20 PM
What would you class a discount rate Anfo?

F'scary
30-08-2014, 03:58 PM
If we don't do it you'll be left to tear your hair out over Koby Stevens' hospital handballs ;)

Good point :D:D:D

anfo27
30-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Anything that doesn't involve a 1st round pick. He was pick 2 or 3 a couple of years ago so the talent is there.

F'scary
30-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Nah, I think our first and second round draft picks (hopefully two second rounders if Higgins walks) have to go on KPD's, Rucks or KPF's.

KT31
31-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Did Boyd put pen to paper for another year, my brother in-law is up visiting and mentioned there is a rumour on Twitter that the Dogs will finish him up this season.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Did Boyd put pen to paper for another year, my brother in-law is up visiting and mentioned there is a rumour on Twitter that the Dogs will finish him up this season.

Interesting, l thought he would have one more year in him.
l would have assumed it would have been mentioned by now as he deserves a farewell game.
Have to wait and see.

Hotdog60
31-08-2014, 11:45 AM
It would have to be wrong I thought he signed a one year for next year and Boyd would have just as much title to a farewell game as Gia.
Unless he wants to skip the fanfare.

I think it's a furphy.

jeemak
31-08-2014, 11:50 AM
I thought he, Murphy and Morris were all granted one year extensions about half way through the season.

Greystache
31-08-2014, 12:12 PM
It would have to be wrong I thought he signed a one year for next year and Boyd would have just as much title to a farewell game as Gia.
Unless he wants to skip the fanfare.

I think it's a furphy.

There was talk that he'd agreed to play on, but it doesn't seem any contract was actually signed.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 12:27 PM

His form has been good enough to get another season but maybe he is realises we aren't likely to play finals and that he might struggle to hold a senior spot. There is probably no wrong call on whatever decision he makes

azabob
31-08-2014, 12:55 PM
His form has been good enough to get another season but maybe he is realises we aren't likely to play finals and that he might struggle to hold a senior spot. There is probably no wrong call on whatever decision he makes

I think KT is referring to the club will finish him up - not Boyd retiring.

Personally if we offered him a contract and he wanted to sign it, we should honour it and sign him for one more season.

Hotdog60
31-08-2014, 01:16 PM
There was talk that he'd agreed to play on, but it doesn't seem any contract was actually signed.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Boyd position can be taken by a number of young players it just remains to be seen if they are ready. Boyd still gets a lot of ball and can still be of value for one more year.

divvydan
31-08-2014, 01:43 PM
We have offered Boyd a 1 year contract but he hasn't signed it as yet.

Remi Moses
31-08-2014, 01:54 PM
We have offered Boyd a 1 year contract but he hasn't signed it as yet.

If he wants more than one then this probably be his last game.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 02:27 PM
If he wants more than one then this probably be his last game.
I don't think that is the case

Remi Moses
31-08-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't think that is the case

Wonder what the issue is ?

KT31
31-08-2014, 08:53 PM
I think KT is referring to the club will finish him up - not Boyd retiring.

Personally if we offered him a contract and he wanted to sign it, we should honour it and sign him for one more season.
Correct, apparently he may have been offered two at the Blues.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Correct, apparently he may have been offered two at the Blues.

Good luck to him then. We shouldn't do 2 years but it's not to say he wouldn't get 2 x 1 year deals.

KT31
31-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Good luck to him then. We shouldn't do 2 years but it's not to say he wouldn't get 2 x 1 year deals.

Not saying he will take it and IMO he will remain with us for a one season deal.

GVGjr
31-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Not saying he will take it and IMO he will remain with us for a one season deal.

J-Mac needs to be firm. One good offer should be all he needs

lemmon
01-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Anyone else see this on Twitter after GWS' win?

Kristian JakschVerified account
‏@KristianJaksch
Yuuuussssssssss
Reply Retweet Favorite More

May poor some cold water on him coming to us

soupman
01-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Anyone else see this on Twitter after GWS' win?

May poor some cold water on him coming to us

Not exactly a statement of commitment to the Giants. He didn't even spell the one word he used correctly.

KT31
01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Not exactly a statement of commitment to the Giants. He didn't even spell the one word he used correctly.

Maybe he was doing a Rocky impersonation and meant youse, as in I will play for youse.

doggies ftw
01-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Yes as in thank *!*!*!*! my time in this shithole is done

ledge
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't know how that means he is leaving,did I miss something?

anfo27
02-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Rumour doing the rounds on the blues forum is we have offered Casboult 500k for next year.

Dry Rot
02-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Rumour doing the rounds on the blues forum is we have offered Casboult 500k for next year.

To paraphase Paul Keating in 1990, if the answer is Casboult then it must have been a silly question.

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't read to much into His reaction after a tight game.
After all they're all his teammates and all around the same age.
We've dodged bullets with Gumbleton and probably Dawes, yet we still aim for players with flaws to fill a gaping hole!!
I just don't get it

chef
02-09-2014, 07:46 AM
I for one would love to get Casboult(we are paying overs, but we are going to have to do that no matter who we are after).

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't read to much into His reaction after a tight game.
After all they're all his teammates and all around the same age.
We've dodged bullets with Gumbleton and probably Dawes, yet we still aim for players with flaws to fill a gaping hole!!
I just don't get it

it's because we haven't recruited with any semblance of balance for God knows how long and I've been banging on about it for ages. last year we had the perfect opportunity to land a decent KP prospect in Ben Brown, who is going well at finals bound north but we went for another midget half back flank hack in Fuller. It shits me to tears.

Brown would have cost us bugger all in $$ and a 3rd round pick. Instead, we are now being linked with anyone who is over 6 foot in the hope they become our KP messiah and will probably have to pay draft/trade overs. If we are throwing $500k at Casboult it means the lunatics have taken over the asylum at the Western Oval.

westdog54
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Do you honestly think Brown would be doing as well as he has without Petrie and Black to take the first and second tall defenders? Brown's only real point of difference to Casboult is the size of his hair.

Topdog
02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Do you honestly think Brown would be doing as well as he has without Petrie and Black to take the first and second tall defenders? Brown's only real point of difference to Casboult is the size of his hair.

And about $200k a year in their pay packets which is obviously a negative for us

Scorlibo
02-09-2014, 10:15 AM
it's because we haven't recruited with any semblance of balance for God knows how long and I've been banging on about it for ages. last year we had the perfect opportunity to land a decent KP prospect in Ben Brown, who is going well at finals bound north but we went for another midget half back flank hack in Fuller. It shits me to tears.

Brown would have cost us bugger all in $$ and a 3rd round pick. Instead, we are now being linked with anyone who is over 6 foot in the hope they become our KP messiah and will probably have to pay draft/trade overs. If we are throwing $500k at Casboult it means the lunatics have taken over the asylum at the Western Oval.

Well we needed and still need a half back with good skills as much as, if not more than, we need a key forward. Fair enough to compare Fuller to Brown in terms of their results, but I hardly think we'd be complaining if Fuller had come on in his first season and played a lot of seniors.

1eyedog
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Desperate needs call for desperate measures. Well if he takes the best defender then Jones, Stringer and Crameri may benefit out of the acquisition. His selection to me is more about these three than him making any type of meaningful scoreboard contribution. Clearly there is not much on offer in the KP stakes this trade period.

bornadog
02-09-2014, 10:44 AM

I remember you talking about this last year, and frankly, in hindsight, we should have done it. Fuller doesn't even look like VFL level let alone AFL.

The Pie Man
02-09-2014, 10:57 AM

While we're on missed KF opportunities........

The Pie Man
02-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Desperate needs call for desperate measures. Well if he takes the best defender then Jones, Stringer and Crameri may benefit out of the acquisition. His selection to me is more about these three than him making any type of meaningful scoreboard contribution. Clearly there is not much on offer in the KP stakes this trade period.

While the $ being spoken of is clearly overs, I would welcome Levi to the kennel - not only a great mark, but a genuinely competitive second ruck option, not just makeshift pinch hit relief.

jeemak
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't like the idea of forking out higher middle to top dollar for a forward who can't finish off the team's good work. If our development coaches think he can become a more efficient kick than he currently is then perhaps that placates me somewhat.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Another rumour doing the rounds is that we are looking to move up in the draft order to secure Peter Wright

chef
02-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Another rumour doing the rounds is that we are looking to move up in the draft order to secure Peter Wright

Who else would be in for him?

Giants, Saints and Brissie don't need him, Melbourne perhaps but they have bigger problems elsewhere.

LostDoggy
02-09-2014, 12:45 PM
3AW are reporting that an 'AFL Star' from a melbourne based club has had a falling out with the senior coach and will retire this year.

Everyones initial thought was Dane Swan, however, they have later stated it is not a Collingwood or Essendon player.

Given the current contract situation, could this possibly be Matty Boyd? Adam Cooney?

Would hate for this to occur, but can't help but think the worst.

Obviously the word 'Star' gets used very loosely also..

azabob
02-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't be concerned if Boyd retired. Cooney can still add to our team.

1eyedog
02-09-2014, 12:54 PM
3AW are reporting that an 'AFL Star' from a melbourne based club has had a falling out with the senior coach and will retire this year.

Everyones initial thought was Dane Swan, however, they have later stated it is not a Collingwood or Essendon player.

Given the current contract situation, could this possibly be Matty Boyd? Adam Cooney?

Would hate for this to occur, but can't help but think the worst.

Obviously the word 'Star' gets used very loosely also..

It would be a real shame if Boyd retired in that manner because he has been such a great servant of the club. You would hope to be able to give him a suitable send off. I have no problem with Boyd not being on the list but if it is him it would have been good to have done it the right way - regardless of any differences he may have had with the coach. He has given his heart and soul to the club, ex-captain, 3 B&Fs and 2 AAs. It would be very strange if it was Boyd having inked a one year deal 30 days ago but I guess we'll wait and see.

lemmon
02-09-2014, 01:04 PM
On the Casboult 500k rumour, has it been seen anywhere else but bigfooty? It's amazing what someone can anonymously put on the internet for us all to get worked up over.

1eyedog
02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
On the Casboult 500k rumour, has it been seen anywhere else but bigfooty? It's amazing what someone can anonymously put on the internet for us all to get worked up over.

I can't find any reference to the figure being offered.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/afl-rumour-file-losing-levi-and-the-adelaide-cat-spew-fiasco/1e027385kkna21cbmfa926cpny

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2014, 01:27 PM

purely bigfooty

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Giants, Saints and Brissie don't need him, Melbourne perhaps but they have bigger problems elsewhere.

You would think pick 1 is between Mccatin and Petracca.

Melbourne need midfielders and would be very surprised if they took Wright.

GWS as always has an abundance of talls but as history shows that does not stop them from stockpiling them to sell back at a premium in the future.

I think Brisbane are the main threat. They need a tall forward as much as we do. However they have a couple in their academy this year (Hammermill i think it is? who is highly rated) so there is a chance they go for a mid as a result.

Importantly if we did trade up to say pick 2 or 3 are we 100% certain the saints wont take him? Bit of a risk IMO but we may have to be daring

GVGjr
02-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Brisbane are keen, they look at him as a key forward

Sedat
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I've heard from some Carlton supporting mates with good connections in the club that Casboult is as good as gone, but the alleged $500k a year offer is purely guesswork.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Will we ever draft that elusive key forward? Seems we always miss out. Saints will get an immediate replacement for Reiwoldt this year if they want. Very frustrating

lemmon
02-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Will we ever draft that elusive key forward? Seems we always miss out. Saints will get an immediate replacement for Reiwoldt this year if they want. Very frustrating

I wouldn't be that fussed to miss when you consider how much we need a key back as well. If he's there good, but if not we get a potential 10 year CHB instead...not the worst outcome really.

1eyedog
02-09-2014, 02:48 PM

I thought he was more a ruck prospect?

stefoid
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
I've heard from some Carlton supporting mates with good connections in the club that Casboult is as good as gone, but the alleged $500k a year offer is purely guesswork.

Casboult and Wright. If we could get that done…

Assuming Melbourne has picks 2 and 3, perhaps they wouldn't be adverse to trading down 3 -> 6. With 2 they get McArtin/Petracca. We get Wright at 3. With 6 they get a mid or key defender. Ill assume they would want a young, ready to play midfielder in return. If Higgins wasn't a free agent, Id feel that would be about right. But he is, so… Hrovat or Wallis seem a bit overs to me. We would want a 2nd rounder in return.

Trading good players leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but if you refuse to draft needs, you have to trade for them. Its not rocket science.

lemmon
02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Casboult and Wright. If we could get that done…

Assuming Melbourne has picks 2 and 3, perhaps they wouldn't be adverse to trading down 3 -> 6. With 2 they get McArtin/Petracca. We get Wright at 3. With 6 they get a mid or key defender. Ill assume they would want a young, ready to play midfielder in return. If Higgins wasn't a free agent, Id feel that would be about right. But he is, so… Hrovat or Wallis seem a bit overs to me. We would want a 2nd rounder in return.

Trading good players leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but if you refuse to draft needs, you have to trade for them. Its not rocket science.

If we got Casboult I'd be seriously wary of throwing away young mids to get Wright. I'd much rather we hung onto Hrovat/Wallis etc, got Casboult with a second rounder and then used pick 5 on a CHB which we need just as desperately

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Brown wouldn't be the same player with us.
Plus he cut up Austin

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Brown wouldn't be the same player with us.

What do you mean by that?

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
What do you mean by that?

For a start they're a better side.
Equates to better ball use,therefore better delivery .
He gets off the leash with Petrie and Black up front.

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
For a start they're a better side.
Equates to better ball use,therefore better delivery .
He gets off the leash with Petrie and Black up front.

For a moment there I thought you were going to pay the Kanga coaching staff a compliment and give ours a backhander in the process!

You don't reckon Brown would be a better bet on our list than Fuller who we chose instead?

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
If the rumour about us trying to push up the draft order is true that's a positive move. It will be interesting who might be the trade bait.

stefoid
02-09-2014, 04:18 PM
If we got Casboult I'd be seriously wary of throwing away young mids to get Wright. I'd much rather we hung onto Hrovat/Wallis etc, got Casboult with a second rounder and then used pick 5 on a CHB which we need just as desperately

Addressing current and future needs for a FF/ backup ruck? That would be insanely great. When is the last time we even had the sniff of a marque power forward? If we think Wright is that player, we should go for it. Hopefully we won't be in a position to draft a gun key forward for a long time.

I think we are much more likely to find another midfielder or a key defender with a low 2nd rounder

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
For a moment there I thought you were going to pay the Kanga coaching staff a compliment and give ours a backhander in the process!

You don't reckon Brown would be a better bet on our list than Fuller who we chose instead?

At the moment yes . Plenty of clubs were into Fuller at the time .
Every club has made its share of drafting mistakes .
While we're living in the now Bontempelli would be pick 1
Macrae looks better than O'rourke and Toumpas, and Even Hawthorn buggered up with Garlett

The Doctor
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
While we're living in the now Bontempelli would be pick 1

Bonts was a dynamite pick.

But we need to be doing that in the later rounds of the draft as well. We just cant afford to waste our picks and pass up these kinds of opportunities. We just have to make every pick a winner.

bornadog
02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

But we need to be doing that in the later rounds of the draft as well. We just cant afford to waste our picks and pass up these kinds of opportunities. We just have to make every pick a winner.

Agree - no more Fullers, Goodes, Lowers

SlimPickens
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM

I get what you're saying and agree with the sentiment but honestly the idea that "every pick" must be a winner is simply unrealistic. I think Dalrymple is generally doing a very good job apart from the odd howler. If you said every first round pick needs to be a winner I'd agree but the speculative picks late in the draft are simply that and the odd success story is more realistic.

Remi Moses
02-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Bang on

Cyberdoggie
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I'd be very keen on getting Wright, but short of getting pick 1 you wouldn't guarantee getting him.

I think best bet is to swap picks with the lions because they want what we want, Saints, Dees and GWS may look at different options but still a hell of a guessing game.

To get pick 1 it would require us to give up a quality player and pick 5,
Perhaps we can trade Grant plus pick 5 for pick 3 or 4?

I wouldn't miss him.

On Wright, you don't get many 203cm plus players who can play ruck/forward, with good skills, and agility and who can run a 15 beep test.

GVGjr
02-09-2014, 07:10 PM
I thought he was more a ruck prospect?

He sees himself as a forward who can do some rucking.

GVGjr
02-09-2014, 07:27 PM
I get what you're saying and agree with the sentiment but honestly the idea that "every pick" must be a winner is simply unrealistic. I think Dalrymple is generally doing a very good job apart from the odd howler. If you said every first round pick needs to be a winner I'd agree but the speculative picks late in the draft are simply that and the odd success story is more realistic.

This is just a guess but I wonder if we are picking too safely at the moment?

We needed a KP player last year but preferred to put our faith in the current list of forwards and and defenders. Could we have rolled the dice with a player like Ben Brown who could have offered us that forward/ruck combo option or a player with enormous athletic potential like Jonathon Marsh?

Fuller and Honeychurch were safer bets albeit Fuller has spent the better half of the season injured.

We ended up coming out of the draft and trade period no quicker and no taller than when we really entered it.

This is not a knock on Dalrymple, Hrovat and Honeychurch but our recent recruitment of smaller players hasn't really netted us a quicker playing list or a vastly more skillful one. Both Hrovat and Honeychurch are fine players and I'm happy to have them but have they really addressed gaps within our list over recent years?

I think Dalrymple is a good recruiting manager who doesn't appear to gamble and therefore fail as much as Clayton did but we do need him to identify and hopefully call our the right names on draft days that address some of the gaps.

It's a hard job no doubt but maybe a modification to our approach is needed.

azabob
02-09-2014, 07:46 PM

I think Dalrymple is a good recruiting manager who doesn't appear to gamble and therefore fail as much as Clayton did but we do need him to identify and hopefully call our the right names on draft days that address some of the gaps.

I think his lack of desire to gamble at this stage is due to his error in his first draft with Howard, Tutt, Markovic and Thorne.

If one of those gambles had of come off, perhaps he'd be more inclined to gamble a bit more.

Hopefully he is gaining confidence and will start taking a few more risks in the second and third rounds.

anfo27
02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
The Casboult rumour did not come from big footy. It came from the blues version of woof which I don't know the name of, it should be called 'the filth' IMO.

doggies ftw
02-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Picking too safe? Bonts, Stringer and Macrae are the opposite of safe, especially at picks 4, 5 and 6. We're finding a nice mix at the moment, don't change a thing.

SlimPickens
02-09-2014, 09:46 PM

We needed a KP player last year but preferred to put our faith in the current list of forwards and and defenders. Could we have rolled the dice with a player like Ben Brown who could have offered us that forward/ruck combo option or a player with enormous athletic potential like Jonathon Marsh?

Fuller and Honeychurch were safer bets albeit Fuller has spent the better half of the season injured.

We ended up coming out of the draft and trade period no quicker and no taller than when we really entered it.

This is not a knock on Dalrymple, Hrovat and Honeychurch but our recent recruitment of smaller players hasn't really netted us a quicker playing list or a vastly more skillful one. Both Hrovat and Honeychurch are fine players and I'm happy to have them but have they really addressed gaps within our list over recent years?

I don't see Ben Brown as a good example to be honest. At this stage of last year we had won 4 of our last 6 and Tom Campbell was performing very well, Will Minson was an AA ruckman and well Ayce was Ayce. What we needed or many good judges on woof wanted was speed and good foot skills. Fuller offers the good foot skills and at the time I was comfortable with the pick. Our later picks seem to have more structure to them in regard of player work ethic, good person etc.

Sure this year hasn't worked out but adding Ben Brown I don't think would have made a difference.

LostDoggy
02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Jono Marsh must have really stuffed his psych tests last year. He had raw ability, but his upward curve could be enormous. To be essentially the last live pick of the draft was a jaw-dropper.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Isn't it just a bit early putting up Ben Brown?
Yeah he's showed some good signs, but in our forward half you don't exactly get silver service .
I'd have fuller on the list for another 12 months ( pretty sure he's contracted) to save his AFL career.

GVGjr
03-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Isn't it just a bit early putting up Ben Brown?
Yeah he's showed some good signs, but in our forward half you don't exactly get silver service .
I'd have Fuller on the list for another 12 months ( pretty sure he's contracted) to save his AFL career.

This isn't really the point that I raised. I stated that we entered the draft need a KP player and some pace and that we came out of it with Fuller and Honeychurch which were much safer selections but maybe not addressing the gaps within the list.
I think that acknowledges that there was a risk in selecting someone like Brown or Marsh. My focus wasn't around the credentials of the players more the approach of our selections.

soupman
03-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Bit of stating the obvious there isn't it? I think the club is doing a pretty good job with its recruiting ATM but really if you make 2 out of 3 draft picks a winner you are doing better than most.

Agree - no more Fullers, Goodes, Lowers

So no more mature age recruits? I'm not against any of the above mentioned recruits, Goodes and Lower both filled a role in our squad and Fuller was a reasonable attempt at filling one of our weakest positions long term.

The issue isn't who we are picking atm, its how long we are keeping the questionable ones (Howard, the rookies, Veszpremi, potentially Fuller and Pearce etc.)

chef
03-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Picking too safe? Bonts, Stringer and Macrae are the opposite of safe, especially at picks 4, 5 and 6. We're finding a nice mix at the moment, don't change a thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure how we can say he's picking safe. He seems to be good at picking kids on the upward curve that keeps continuing once they get to us.

However he's picking I hope he keeps going down the same path as it's working. People expecting every pick to be a winner are expecting to much as drafting will never be an exact science.

Go_Dogs
03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Jono Marsh must have really stuffed his psych tests last year. He had raw ability, but his upward curve could be enormous. To be essentially the last live pick of the draft was a jaw-dropper.

Agreed.

He's got a long way to go, but with his athletic package combined with where he was taken makes me wish we had another selection last year.

On GVGjr point I think it has some merit. We haven't addressed a few gaps on the list and now we are at a point where we really need to. Hopefully we will be able to secure those players this year.

wimberga
03-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how we can say he's picking safe. He seems to be good at picking kids on the upward curve that keeps continuing once they get to us.

However he's picking I hope he keeps going down the same path as it's working. People expecting every pick to be a winner are expecting to much as drafting will never be an exact science.

I agree entirely with this Chef. not every pick will be a winner, and over the last few years we have just aimed to get quality on to our list irrespective of where or how they play. I haven't minded this approach as we did need quality everywhere, and both Honeychurch and Hrovat appear to be steals at where we got them.

That said, I feel we now have a foundation and it is perhaps time to start addressing some of the gaps (note that this doesn't have to be via the draft, it can be met through other means too).

wimberga
03-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Some talk of the following trade via 3AW and a few others:

St Kilda trade away pick 1 to GWS for pick 3, Jaksch & O'Rourke

Apparently GWS very keen on Petracca and Saints really eyeing off that key forward (McCartin or Wright), at least 1 of which would be available at their pick, so this would be a great trade for them.

All comes down to how highly GWS rate Petracca

always right
03-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Apparently GWS very keen on Petracca and Saints really eyeing off that key forward (McCartin or Wright), at least 1 of which would be available at their pick, so this would be a great trade for them.

This would be an outstanding result for St Kilda

LostDoggy
03-09-2014, 11:25 AM

I highly doubt GWS would bend over and cop that trade.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Melbourne getting pick 3 as compensation for Frawley would make this interesting for the Saints as it would push pick 3 down to pick 4

chef
03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
I highly doubt GWS would bend over and cop that trade.

Yep, thats way overs.

Maybe 3 and Jaksch for pick 1 is more realistic.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Yep, thats way overs.

I dont get why saints would do that when they could pickup Jacksh in the PSD

KT31
03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Yep, thats way overs.

For mine this is still over to move two positions up the order.

bornadog
03-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Four clubs – Essendon, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have all inquired to secure a trade with much-maligned Carlton live-wire, Jeff Garlett.

Interesting

Also:
Other Rumours are the Bulldogs are interested in Swans pair Sam Reid & Tim Membry.

SlimPickens
03-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Interesting

Also:

Doesn't appear we'll have any draft picks left, would have traded them all. ;)

bornadog
03-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Doesn't appear we'll have any draft picks left, would have traded them all. ;)

Depends how many we delist or trade out.

The Doctor
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Macca said on SEN (to paraphrase) we are not a club to make lots of changes to the list, he implied maybe 5 changes and that we have some very talented players on our rookie list, but still a bit to sort out

azabob
03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Macca said on SEN (to paraphrase) we are not a club to make lots of changes to the list, he implied maybe 5 changes and that we have some very talented players on our rookie list, but still a bit to sort out

Surely that five doesn't include rookies?

bornadog
03-09-2014, 05:52 PM

He mentioned looking at upgrading two rookies

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Interesting

Also:
I'd prefer Reid over Casboult. Interesting hearing him on SEN saying we need a " down the line" type .

Bulldog4life
03-09-2014, 06:59 PM
He mentioned looking at upgrading two rookies

Jong & Redpath seem the two.

lemmon
03-09-2014, 07:22 PM
I wonder whether we manage to grab a key back through trade/draft affects what happens with Austin

G-Mo77
03-09-2014, 07:24 PM

Yep. Not sure on Repdpath but they seem to be happy with his progress. Jong I'm happy to upgrade.

Happy Days
03-09-2014, 08:26 PM
I wonder whether we manage to grab a key back through trade/draft affects what happens with Austin

I would like to think he has been affected already.

boydogs
03-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Not the bloke who has actually been getting games, Austin?

comrade
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Not the bloke who has actually been getting games, Austin?

Lack of depth has gifted Austin games rather than his ability to become an AFL footballer.

Though, the same should apply to Redpath, I guess.

IMO, not one of Jong/Austin/Redpath don't deserve to be on the main list.

Remi Moses
03-09-2014, 10:10 PM
How in gods earth could Austin remain on the list?
He's 25 years old with major defiencies.
Surely that says he has no upside, and you could mount a case for Jong and Redpath not getting as much opportunity .

KT31
03-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Only five, would be amazed if this will be true when all is said and done.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Five list changes would be a disaster.

We have a lot of list cloggers, we should be making far more than 8 changes.

G-Mo77
03-09-2014, 11:54 PM

If it's 5 on top of the retirees then I'm fine with that. 7 spots is plenty. If it's not and only 5 all up then it would be a disaster.

Dry Rot
04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Interesting development with Ryder, which could show the way for Carlisle to similarly leave.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/clause-in-cba-agreement-between-afl-players-and-afl-gives-scope-for-essendon-players-to-walk/story-e6frf3e3-1227046859387?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&nk=419e0478409a53085224202aea4571b1

Re Carlisle, I wouldn't be buying a pallet load of tissues just yet.

IIRC there is a window in October for dealing with unrestricted FA delisted players. If Ryder tries this, the Bombers will tie this up in court for ages, missing that window and even the PSD (although Saints or the Demons would grab Carlisle anyway in the PSD ahead of us).

And then there's ASADA. We could be paying an awful lot for Carlisle to sit out a year or two.

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Carlisle to sit out a year or two.
And we would have Crameri out at the same time, so makes it an even bigger gamble.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Heard Russell Barwick on SEN from a while ago ( early august) say paddy was up in Sydney !:eek:

Twodogs
04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Interesting development with Ryder, which could show the way for Carlisle to similarly leave.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/clause-in-cba-agreement-between-afl-players-and-afl-gives-scope-for-essendon-players-to-walk/story-e6frf3e3-1227046859387?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&nk=419e0478409a53085224202aea4571b1

Re Carlisle, I wouldn't be buying a pallet load of tissues just yet.

IIRC there is a window in October for dealing with unrestricted FA delisted players. If Ryder tries this, the Bombers will tie this up in court for ages, missing that window and even the PSD (although Saints or the Demons would grab Carlisle anyway in the PSD ahead of us).

And then there's ASADA. We could be paying an awful lot for Carlisle to sit out a year or two.

I'd take Carlisle for free even if he had to sit out a year.

The Pie Man
04-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Casboult off the table - 2 year extension with the Blues

Kitchen sink at Sam Reid then

EDIT : just saw this news on the State Level board after I'd posted - my apologies for duplicating

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2014, 05:43 PM

EDIT : just saw this news on the State Level board after I'd posted - my apologies for duplicating

I would think it's now highly unlikely we'll be securing any key targets this off season.

KT31
04-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Reid would be great and if not a goer then would still would love us to have a crack at Jaksch.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I would think it's now highly unlikely we'll be securing any key targets this off season.

how so?

Greystache
04-09-2014, 05:49 PM

And we can look forward to another 12 months of morons like Garry Lyon saying after every loss we have to get a big key forward, and we should've got one last year. No suggestions how it could have been done, and when asked, he'll say that's up to us to work out. :rolleyes:

whythelongface
04-09-2014, 05:58 PM

methinks that is probably good news.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2014, 06:01 PM
And we can look forward to another 12 months of morons like Garry Lyon saying after every loss we have to get a big key forward, and we should've got one last year. No suggestions how it could have been done, and when asked, he'll say that's up to us to work out. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, this old chestnut.

Apparently we're supposed to climb up the ladder and pick one from the apple tree, right? Not sure why we keep putting it off :rolleyes:

What I hope we don't do is panic and go and pick up somebody like Butcher or McKernan, or overpay for Jaksch. We absolutely need to find a key forward who can mark, but reality is we aren't going to be challenging for another couple of years. I see merit in fixing our defensive issues and topping up our midfield, and then buying a key forward either through trade or free agency when we're a more attractive destination.

In the meantime and immediate future, trying to jump up the order in the draft to secure somebody like Peter Wright would be ideal. Our 'forward issues' are much publicized, but we're really only lacking that one monster target. Down the other end however, the cupboard is excruciatingly bare, whilst we're still desperate for skill and pace through the middle of the ground.

Cyberdoggie
04-09-2014, 06:08 PM

So as suspected his manager was just floating it about to get more money from Carlton.

Do we have any interest in the GWS player exodus?

Sam Frost, Jono O'Rourke, or Jaksch?

KT31
04-09-2014, 06:12 PM

We still have a couple of options, would love to see us secure a solid back as a priority though.
IMO Macca's future hangs in the balance if we don't end up with one or the other.

ledge
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Which Macca do you mean , if its the coach your not fully correct he is guided by the recruiting team and money available as well. It takes more than just a coach saying get him.
We also don't know how many he has wanted and not been able to get, for all we know he has been chasing big forwards since he got here.

whythelongface
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
We still have a couple of options, would love to see us secure a solid back as a priority though.
IMO Macca's future hangs in the balance if we don't end up with one or the other.

Has there been any interest in Frawley from our perspective. Whilst he would be a great pick up his asking price is way overs.

bornadog
04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Rumour: GWS after Deledio for pick three

divvydan
04-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Must admit I'm not that keen on Sam Reid. Looked much better this season but then again he had Buddy and Tippett alongside him as often as not (and usually at least one of them) to take the main defenders, leaving Reid with a much weaker matchup, something he wouldn't get with us.

bornadog
04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Must admit I'm not that keen on Sam Reid. Looked much better this season but then again he had Buddy and Tippett alongside him as often as not (and usually at least one of them) to take the main defenders, leaving Reid with a much weaker matchup, something he wouldn't get with us.

Kicked a great goal last week to put Swans in front.

1eyedog
04-09-2014, 07:02 PM

I'm a fan. Thought he looked better last season actually. Would be great I'd he got squeezed out. He's playing 3rd or 4th fiddle at the moment and he's too good a player for that.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 07:24 PM

Hard for his career being squeezed out.
Makes it harder having Buddy and Goodes and Tippet.
Been playing as a roaming ruck wingman type .

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 07:45 PM
So as suspected his manager was just floating it about to get more money from Carlton.

Do we have any interest in the GWS player exodus?

Sam Frost, Jono O'Rourke, or Jaksch?

Sadly (sort of) yes, to all three.

LostDoggy
04-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Rumour: GWS after Deledio for pick three

Now you're just trying to increase your post count BAD ;)

ledge
04-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Now Carlisle to Hawks

lemmon
04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Now Carlisle to Hawks

I wonder whether that's just the media putting together the supposed Essendon contract clause, Hawthorn hole at CHB and Buddy money to create a rumour.

chef
04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep. Welcome to the silly season.

The Doctor
04-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Now Carlisle to Hawks

Didn't sound like it according to his Manager on 3AW who said all rumours about Carlisle were news to him.

Remi Moses
04-09-2014, 09:10 PM
The artist formerly known as Harry O'Brien is out at Collingwood!
It's all happening

bornadog
04-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Now you're just trying to increase your post count BAD ;)

I should have expanded. If that is true, then have we anyone we can swap for pick 3. Would be nice to have 3 and 5.

Ghost Dog
04-09-2014, 10:27 PM
It's all happening

Amazing article. Suggested he might resign, and was thrown back at him, might not be a bad idea! Sounds like a bit of ignition fumes building up over time.

Maybe he just had a bad day and let it all out the wrong way.
Still good on him, if that's how he feels. Not a great way to leave a club though. Wish every misery to Collingwood. With the exception of Rocket, who wears red white and blue underpants. Or so I am told....

KT31
04-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Which Macca do you mean , if its the coach your not fully correct he is guided by the recruiting team and money available as well. It takes more than just a coach saying get him.
We also don't know how many he has wanted and not been able to get, for all we know he has been chasing big forwards since he got here.

He still needs to win more games than he has next season and without a key back or forward we will still struggle.

bornadog
04-09-2014, 11:21 PM
It's all happening

Only 27 years old and could be someone we could look at for HBF?

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 12:06 AM

Possibly, he's looked distracted on what I've seen in the last 4 weeks.
Provides good run, and is some food for thought .

Rance Fan
05-09-2014, 12:06 AM

Hope not, its past him

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 12:07 AM

Both 'Team' and 'I' can be spelt with his name. It's usually up to him which day of the week applies.

No thanks

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2014, 12:31 AM

Nope, he's an absolute flog.

kruder
05-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Spot on about Garry. Another analysist who its celebrity first. Actually he should join Channel 7 he would fit perfectly. Judging by his comments he does not watch the dogs at all. Early in the season he was doubting why we drafted Stringer who at that stage, informed judges knew was going to be a gun.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Nope, he's an absolute flog.

You have to admit though. He's cut us up plenty of times in the past.

doggies ftw
05-09-2014, 09:42 AM
So to bring the thread back on topic...

From a pretty reliable guy on BF who has had good info (and saw something similar a few days ago from another reliable poster) were looking at trading Minno and Cooney.

And another one was about Sam Reid again, which seems to be growing legs.

Apparently Myke Pyke could be leaving Sydney, if that's the case and Sydney don't win the flag this year I can see them being interested in an AA ruck to really top them off (also remember another rumour a few weeks back saying Minno has business in Sydney) so we could maybe pull of a Reid/Minno trade which would be fantastic.

Take pick 5 to the draft and get another quality KPP for either end, trade Higgins compo for Jaksch if possible, and try and upgrade our 2nd rounder to a top 15 or so pick for Coons, and take a Duggan type. Along with Cordy and Foster and a whole new bunch of rookies (look for guys who full needs and have the highest upsides in rookie draft) and that would be a brilliant offseason.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
You have to admit though. He's cut us up plenty of times in the past.

He's the equivalent of Aker in terms of opinions.

Mofra
05-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I might be one of the few that would be happy to ask the question about Harry OL - he's 27, which means we have the next two drafts to bring in a gun rebounder & develop them to replace Murphy.

Howard played multiple games for us this year and we're saying no to an AA rebounding defender who would easily be in our best 22?

We need to get better and I don't think we have a fantastic list.

jeemak
05-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I might be one of the few that would be happy to ask the question about Harry OL - he's 27, which means we have the next two drafts to bring in a gun rebounder & develop them to replace Murphy.

Howard played multiple games for us this year and we're saying no to an AA rebounding defender who would easily be in our best 22?

I have issues with Lumumba. I mean, when the President of the US visited our great nation Harry O'Brien - as he was know at the time - wanted to be the one to talk to him and tell him what was wrong with the world. He actually thought he could be the one to school the President of the largest super power in the world! Talk about an inflated sense of self importance.

Anyway, aside from me thinking he's a boofhead that's taking a bit longer than others to learn how to pick his moments I'm a bit like you, and would most certainly enquire about his services.

Having him and Wood busting fingers off half back with helicopters could be a concern though.

azabob
05-09-2014, 10:49 AM
So to bring the thread back on topic...

From a pretty reliable guy on BF who has had good info (and saw something similar a few days ago from another reliable poster) were looking at trading Minno and Cooney.

And another one was about Sam Reid again, which seems to be growing legs.

Apparently Myke Pyke could be leaving Sydney, if that's the case and Sydney don't win the flag this year I can see them being interested in an AA ruck to really top them off (also remember another rumour a few weeks back saying Minno has business in Sydney) so we could maybe pull of a Reid/Minno trade which would be fantastic.

Take pick 5 to the draft and get another quality KPP for either end, trade Higgins compo for Jaksch if possible, and try and upgrade our 2nd rounder to a top 15 or so pick for Coons, and take a Duggan type. Along with Cordy and Foster and a whole new bunch of rookies (look for guys who full needs and have the highest upsides in rookie draft) and that would be a brilliant offseason.

Minsons brother Hugh has a business out of Sydney. Is Will apart of it?

doggies ftw
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Minsons brother Hugh has a business out of Sydney. Is Will apart of it?

I got no idea sorry was just a post a few weeks back saying he wants to go to Sydney as he has business over there and if that's true about his brother that maybe gives it a bit more credibility.

Webby
05-09-2014, 12:09 PM
I have issues with Lumumba. I mean, when the President of the US visited our great nation Harry O'Brien - as he was know at the time - wanted to be the one to talk to him and tell him what was wrong with the world. He actually thought he could be the one to school the President of the largest super power in the world! Talk about an inflated sense of self importance.

Yes, I recall that little episode very clearly. I remember a few of us at work laughing about it incredulously... Of course one old, feral Collingwood supporter defended him. There's always one!

The guy's delusional. Takes himself way, way too seriously and is clearly a pain in the arse.. I wouldn't like him at Footscray.

The Doctor
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
He seems like a fairly decent person to me however I don't think we need the possible/likely sideshow that comes with him. We have enough issues to sort out without the risk of further distractions.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Could he identify and be an ambassador with different multi-cultural communities within the west. He seems to be looking for an avenue, it could be win/win.

chef
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Could be worse he could be some bogan who loves a drink and a punt.

I wouldn't be against getting Harry O.

F'scary
05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Could he identify and be an ambassador with different multi-cultural communities within the west. He seems to be looking for an avenue, it could be win/win.

and it sounds like he would get along like a house on fire with Bob Murphy.

They could solve all the world's problems while they train together.

G-Mo77
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
He seems like a fairly decent person to me however I don't think we need the possible/likely sideshow that comes with him. We have enough issues to sort out without the risk of further distractions.

Me too, his heart is in the right place. Maybe coming out of the spotlight at Collingwood the sideshow wouldn't follow. Maybe.....

I'd be reluctant to have him but we could do worse.

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I keep hearing football is a business.
Put it this way, if you put slogans on a wall where many of us work you'd soon be unemployed.
You know what,maybe he is over sensitive on issues but at least he isn't getting into fights, and fitting the stereotypical sportsman .
Fancy sportsman having opinions( perish the thought)

1eyedog
05-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Anyway, aside from me thinking he's a boofhead that's taking a bit longer than others to learn how to pick his moments I'm a bit like you, and would most certainly enquire about his services.

Having him and Wood busting fingers off half back with helicopters could be a concern though.

I'm not sure where you got all this from he's actually a very decent, caring person and he was earmarked by the AFL to meet with Obama in order to discuss the game. Harry has his own unique spin on the world but is generally a peaceful person - I think that was going to be his message to Obama - a peaceful solution to global conflict. Idealist? Probably. Do we need him at 28 years of age next season? Probably not.

always right
05-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Harry wants to save the world. Noble sentiment but I imagine he would be a handful to manage. Whilst he would improve our team I wonder how much angst it would cause behind the scenes. Sounds to me like everyone is walking on egg shells around Harry, concerned that innocent comments are going to be taken the wrong way. Do we really need that?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2014, 02:49 PM

He was a good rebounding defender when Collingwood had more experienced players around him (2009-2011), but as a few of them begun to drop in form and were traded away or retired, his effectiveness plummeted because he simply couldn't defend.

Buckley played him up the ground on a wing this season to hide his weaknesses (defending) and exploit his strengths (running the lines).

He's still a solid player but for a bottom side who struggles to defend all over the ground, he's more trouble than he's worth. For a top 6 side, Harry could be a good get.

Greystache
05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
He reminds me of a rockstar or a Hollywood actor, in that he surrounds himself with yes men that tell him he's brilliant and highly intelligent, when in reality he's thick as shit and has an overinflated sense of self worth. That doesn't make him a bad person, but it does make him a pain in the arse to be around. People like that don't fit a team sport environment.

As a player he's not what we need either. He can't defend and isn't a great user of the ball.

jeemak
05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure where you got all this from he's actually a very decent, caring person and he was earmarked by the AFL to meet with Obama in order to discuss the game. Harry has his own unique spin on the world but is generally a peaceful person - I think that was going to be his message to Obama - a peaceful solution to global conflict. Idealist? Probably. Do we need him at 28 years of age next season? Probably not.

Here you go:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/collingwood-footballer-harry-obrien-wants-to-meet-president-obama/story-e6frf7jo-1225863362749

I'm not saying he's a bad bloke, and I'm sure you are right and that he carries the qualities you have mentioned. I carry a lot of those qualities as well (if you ask my mother), and sometimes I come across as a right wanker from time to time. It's just how it is.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 04:00 PM
He seems like the ultimate narcissist. I'm all for people to have beliefs and opinions but he is more concerned about publicity as opposed to the issues. The homosexual community is openly proud about the Mardi Gras, it's a celebration of their choice and lifestyle. Why does making a reference to it insight H to get on his high horse (higher horse)?

He also HAD to get involved when Eddie made the unfortunate Goodes reference. everyone knew Eddie had done the wrong thing (especially the man himself) but Heritier (I need to change my name for attention) Lumumba, again felt it was incumbent on him to openly lambast his own President who has supported him to no end.

Scorlibo
05-09-2014, 04:20 PM
He seems like the ultimate narcissist. I'm all for people to have beliefs and opinions but he is more concerned about publicity as opposed to the issues. The homosexual community is openly proud about the Mardi Gras, it's a celebration of their choice and lifestyle. Why does making a reference to it insight H to get on his high horse (higher horse)?

He also HAD to get involved when Eddie made the unfortunate Goodes reference. everyone knew Eddie had done the wrong thing (especially the man himself) but Heritier (I need to change my name for attention) Lumumba, again felt it was incumbent on him to openly lambast his own President who has supported him to no end.

We're in dangerous territory here. The poster was wrong, and Heritier has every right to take it up with the Club, on the behalf of the gay players who feel they can't.

I wouldn't be in favour of recruiting him simply because he'll be too old when we're challenging. Good player though.

The bulldog tragician
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM
We're in dangerous territory here. The poster was wrong, and Heritier has every right to take it up with the Club, on the behalf of the gay players who feel they can't.

I wouldn't be in favour of recruiting him simply because he'll be too old when we're challenging. Good player though.
Well said. I'm sure the 'wits' who put up the poster didn't mean it to be complimentary about the gay community, any more than the kids who say 'that's so gay' mean it as a term of affection.

Personally I see H as a sincere person who's tried to use his footballing profile to put the spotlight on issues like suicide and racism. He might not be the right fit for us as a footballer (though he's not that old that at the right price he couldn't provide some much needed dash) but his idealism doesn't bother me one bit, and if he and Murf chat about saving the world, I'd much prefer to have that in our team that than about bogans like Swan, Didak, King and other bikie 'associates.'

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 04:37 PM

I'm not condoning the poster, it insinuated something that may or may not be the case. For mine though it is only derogatory if you make it that way. How can minority groups ever be seen as all equal if they can't even be mentioned?

whythelongface
05-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Well said. I'm sure the 'wits' who put up the poster didn't mean it to be complimentary about the gay community, any more than the kids who say 'that's so gay' mean it as a term of affection.

Exactly. It certainly is a derogatory comment, whether intentional or not.

Maddog37
05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Harry seems to have the rare ability to cause conflict from afar. Able to alienate people with ease and seems troubled at his core.

No thanks

The Pie Man
05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I know talking about this specific issue with H is off topic, so I'll be brief - it'll take too long to explain why I think he has a valid point, though it sounds like he's gone in pretty hard with the 'unsafe workplace' comments, which feels unnecessarily aggressive for what was intended as a light hearted poke at the players (and not other gay people - this is the issue that gets lost in incidents like BT / Harry Taylor ...Harry didn't need apologising to from BT, he needed to say sorry to the gay community......anyway.....)

Like him as a player - maybe a year or two older than ideal, and it sounds like Melbourne may have first dibs if he does walk.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Good little snapshot of the forum on Harry's division in the general football community. Some for, against and in the middle.

Perhaps Harry can enter the external football world a year earlier and fight the good fight.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 05:44 PM

Personally I see H as a sincere person who's tried to use his footballing profile to put the spotlight on issues like suicide and racism. He might not be the right fit for us as a footballer (though he's not that old that at the right price he couldn't provide some much needed dash) but his idealism doesn't bother me one bit, and if he and Murf chat about saving the world, I'd much prefer to have that in our team that than about bogans like Swan, Didak, King and other bikie 'associates.'

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

How is calling someone a bogan any different to calling someone gay? I'm sure the terms Bikie associate and Bogan were not meant to be complimentary! Not that I have any issues with you referring to people this way but you don't have to veer off the path of idealism very far to get to hypocrisy.

always right
05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here. From what I've read, the message on the poster was at the lower end of the scale of "homophobic" comments.....and yes, I know any homophobic comment is unwelcome.

Rather than being a crude comment designed to cause great offence, it made specific reference to the mardi gras which to many is a symbol of gay pride but to me is an over the top caricature of the gay community. In that context I think the comment is light hearted and less likely to cause offence. Sometimes you have to pick your battles selectively. I don't think this was the right one for Heritier to jump up and down about.

Don't expect anyone to agree but hey.....

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Just seen at a cafe with Roos and other Melbourne officials, that escalated quickly...

always right
05-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Let he without sin cast the first stone.

How is calling someone a bogan any different to calling someone gay? I'm sure the terms Bikie associate and Bogan were not meant to be complimentary! Not that I have any issues with you referring to people this way but you don't have to veer off the path of idealism very far to get to hypocrisy.

I'm probably going to contradict myself here after my previous post but your comparison is often used in the racism debate and simply doesn't stack up. Disparaging terms have to be considered in the context of history, the associated persecution and absence of basic rights. Not sure anyone has been assaulted or dscriminated against for being a bogan.

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm probably going to contradict myself here after my previous post but your comparison is often used in the racism debate and simply doesn't stack up. Disparaging terms have to be considered in the context of history, the associated persecution and absence of basic rights. Not sure anyone has been assaulted or dscriminated against for being a bogan.

It's murky water, your point is fair, but there seems to be a very fine line between acceptable and abhorrent.

bornadog
05-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here. From what I've read, the message on the poster was at the lower end of the scale of "homophobic" comments.....and yes, I know any homophobic comment is unwelcome.

Rather than being a crude comment designed to cause great offence, it made specific reference to the mardi gras which to many is a symbol of gay pride but to me is an over the top caricature of the gay community. In that context I think the comment is light hearted and less likely to cause offence. Sometimes you have to pick your battles selectively. I don't think this was the right one for Heritier to jump up and down about.

Don't expect anyone to agree but hey.....

Football environments are so homophobic and like the racist issue little things can upset people. The sooner homophobia is eradicated the better for all. What may be trivial to some, is not to others and really Collingwood should have dealt with this a lot earlier.

bornadog
05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Here you go:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/collingwood-footballer-harry-obrien-wants-to-meet-president-obama/story-e6frf7jo-1225863362749

I'm not saying he's a bad bloke, and I'm sure you are right and that he carries the qualities you have mentioned. I carry a lot of those qualities as well (if you ask my mother), and sometimes I come across as a right wanker from time to time. It's just how it is.
Bloody Wanker :D:D:D

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Bloody Wanker :D:D:D

You can't say that....or can you?

Heritier had no hesitation calling Tom Hawkins a Fat C#^t last year. Who's going to stick up for the overweight people in the population?

bornadog
05-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Heritier had no hesitation calling Tom Hawkins a Fat C#^t last year. Who's going to stick up for the overweight people in the population?

He knows I am kidding

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Harry wants to save the world. Noble sentiment but I imagine he would be a handful to manage. Whilst he would improve our team I wonder how much angst it would cause behind the scenes. Sounds to me like everyone is walking on egg shells around Harry, concerned that innocent comments are going to be taken the wrong way. Do we really need that?
Hell no please do not. I could not stand it.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2014, 07:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuX56YldLE

:)

LostDoggy
05-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Not Bulldogs related, have it on good advice that Beams is definitely gone, he will be in Queensland next year, no team specified to date. A lot of water to go under the bridge but he wants out.

jeemak
05-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Doesn't sound like Nafe's people skills have improved since his playing days!

Suppose Beams comes from QLD, so it's maybe not about the coach.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'd look at Reid, but not with our first pick.

Sam Reid would be a good get IMO. Let's not forget that before the arrival of Tippett and Franklin he was the Swans number one forward. There is strong family connections with father Bruce, uncle John and Grandfather all playing with the Bulldogs. It is a long time since we can boast a key forward of his ability.

GVGjr
05-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Jonathon O'Rourke has apparently listed the Pies as his club of choice.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM

Why not us? That joint is almost in free fall, or maybe he thinks he wouldn't get a game with us. But he would.

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Sam Reid would be a good get IMO. Let's not forget that before the arrival of Tippett and Franklin he was the Swans number one forward. There is strong family connections with father Bruce, uncle John and Grandfather all playing with the Bulldogs. It is a long time since we can boast a key forward of his ability.

He can take that down the line mark that McCartney was talking about.
He's been frozen out in Sydney, interesting times

Dry Rot
05-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Why/where is the swan's Pyke leaving?

GVGjr
05-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Why/where is the swan's Pyke leaving?

I'd question the accuracy of that rumour because I can't see a reason why he would want to move

Remi Moses
05-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Doesn't sound like Nafe's people skills have improved since his playing days!

Suppose Beams comes from QLD, so it's maybe not about the coach.

I think there's a discord with Buckley. While Mcguire's there Bucks is safe, but gee there seems like there are some issues.
Beams would be a massive loss .
Just digressing( maybe it's related) but Eddie made a quip on Fox about Brisbane allowed to hit 100% or 105% of the cap, and wondered why they should be allowed with significant debt.( they were talking about Ryder)Just maybe Eddie realises Beams wants out.

1eyedog
05-09-2014, 09:33 PM
He can take that down the line mark that McCartney was talking about.
He's been frozen out in Sydney, interesting times

Has there been any discussion about this outside footy forums? It seems highly speculative that he will move.

chef
05-09-2014, 09:36 PM

Wonder if GWS would swap him for Lumumba.

chef
05-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Why not us? That joint is almost in free fall, or maybe he thinks he wouldn't get a game with us. But he would.

Maybe we are after a different sort of player.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Maybe we are after a different sort of player.

He's what we need if my memory of him as a junior is still relevant to him currently. But he won't get anywhere near them unless a good trade is worked out, otherwise every GWS kid will hold them out to dry.

bornadog
06-09-2014, 12:04 AM
They were meeting him today

boydogs
06-09-2014, 12:14 AM
So we could maybe pull of a Reid/Minno trade which would be fantastic.

That might just work. Boyd, Morris, Murphy & Cooney is enough senior leaders, need to look for a Lake-style trade with Minson and get the Campbell/Cordy combination rolling

Not Bulldogs related, have it on good advice that Beams is definitely gone, he will be in Queensland next year, no team specified to date. A lot of water to go under the bridge but he wants out.

Gees, Ryder and now Beams. Like last year's exodus in reverse