PDA

View Full Version : The Rumour Mill

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Levi Greenwood anyone? I know he is not a key position player but had an excellent year and fits the macca mood to perfection.

That's one area of the list we have covered.

Dry Rot
30-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Would we have any interest in Mitch Brown or Walker from the Cats? Never seen much in Brown.

Bulldog Revolution
30-09-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't mind him as a player but no we need speed and some tall prospects

Cyberdoggie
30-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Daniel Gorringe wants out of GC.

Any interest as a key forward?

Has mentioned he prefers Port though.

BulldogBelle
30-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Daniel Gorringe wants out of GC.

Any interest as a key forward?

No. He's a ruckman that plays forward, and no better than what we already have.

ReLoad
30-09-2014, 03:46 PM
This is no rumour but rather a trade I think makes sense.

First of last year I suggested Minson for Tom Boyd (pick1) and why it made sense, the response was about 50-50 within woof of if it was worth it etc.

This year there is a different perspective as to our needs, for starters, there is no defined stand out power forward available for pick 1. Petracca is a midfielder and will most certainly go at pick number 1.

So we do not need to go all out this year and get pick 1, at least IMHO.

But its time again that we need to get ourselves some hope. We were going to pull the gun on Patton, but since the poor guys knees are shot, we will need to go elsewhere.

Jake Carlisle is that man. he showed against us just what a player of his stature can do.

SO whats he going to cost us? quite a lot thats for sure, he is contracted and Dodoro is a spanner, so we will no doubt have to pay overs for him.

The Price:
Luke Dahlhouse and our first round pick, in return we would get Carlisle and Essendons Second round pick.

Why?
The need is obvious, but why our little gun In Dahlhouse?

Essendon need a very good/elite player in return, so we have to offer something substantial and Dahlhouse fits their needs nicely, they have a substantial lack of goalkickers in the last few years (especially with Crameri coming to us) and his versatility is valuable.

I have nothing against Luke, apart from i don't see much further significant improvement in him, he has certainly not improved over previous years this year, but given his age he probably has another 10% or so in him.

So is it enough to get done? Discuss.

bulldogtragic
30-09-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm not yet sure about Carlisle, but I have no option with considering virtually any trade. Giving up Dahl would be a massive trade and pick 5 being conceivably Wright, we'd want to think very carefully about long term needs being met.

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Remember Carlisle went at like pick 30 in the draft, we will have 4 picks before 30 if everything in the works comes to fruition. We should draft IMO. Later on when our kids have matured a bit more and if we still have a deficiency we can pluck a player through FA.

Not that I would be upset with that deal.

anfo27
30-09-2014, 05:33 PM
This is no rumour but rather a trade I think makes sense.

First of last year I suggested Minson for Tom Boyd (pick1) and why it made sense, the response was about 50-50 within woof of if it was worth it etc.

This year there is a different perspective as to our needs, for starters, there is no defined stand out power forward available for pick 1. Petracca is a midfielder and will most certainly go at pick number 1.

So we do not need to go all out this year and get pick 1, at least IMHO.

But its time again that we need to get ourselves some hope. We were going to pull the gun on Patton, but since the poor guys knees are shot, we will need to go elsewhere.

Jake Carlisle is that man. he showed against us just what a player of his stature can do.

SO whats he going to cost us? quite a lot thats for sure, he is contracted and Dodoro is a spanner, so we will no doubt have to pay overs for him.

The Price:
Luke Dahlhouse and our first round pick, in return we would get Carlisle and Essendons Second round pick.

Why?
The need is obvious, but why our little gun In Dahlhouse?

Essendon need a very good/elite player in return, so we have to offer something substantial and Dahlhouse fits their needs nicely, they have a substantial lack of goalkickers in the last few years (especially with Crameri coming to us) and his versatility is valuable.

I have nothing against Luke, apart from i don't see much further significant improvement in him, he has certainly not improved over previous years this year, but given his age he probably has another 10% or so in him.

So is it enough to get done? Discuss.

Can't agree with your opinion that Dahl hasn't shown improvement this year. Dahl has improved every year and is not that far away from becoming an A grade player. Carlisle would be a great get no doubt about that but giving up Dahl is an emphatic no. Trading with the filth is very risky considering Carlisle will be getting some form of suspension and there will be no conclusion to this sage by the end of trade week. We could conceivably give up pick 5 and Dahl for Carlisle and ASADA comes in and bans him anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. Not a smart move that one.

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Just convince Carlisle to walk and let them try and stop him.

And don't forget when we are trading for him that he comes with a risk of him not being allowed to play for two years. Personally I wouldn't be selling the farm for him.

The Underdog
30-09-2014, 06:23 PM
What makes anyone think Carlisle is interested in a trade?

G-Mo77
30-09-2014, 07:04 PM
What makes anyone think Carlisle is interested in a trade?

Or interested in coming here for that matter.

Remi Moses
30-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Heard Caro say ( it was reported today in H/S) that Adam Cooney was at the post game celebrations on Saturday.
I know he's mates with Brian, but that really is a pretty poor look !

SlimPickens
30-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Heard Caro say ( it was reported today in H/S) that Adam Cooney was at the post game celebrations on Saturday.
I know he's mates with Brian, but that really is a pretty poor look !

He was there last year as well. No need to make a mountain....

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Perhaps he can be there next year again, as a premiership player, for a swap pick 18 for pick 25.

Remi Moses
30-09-2014, 08:27 PM
He was there last year as well. No need to make a mountain....

It's not making a mountain out of anything .
It's a crap look, and he can hang out with Brian anytime .

Remi Moses
30-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Perhaps he can be there next year again, as a premiership player, for a swap pick 18 for pick 25.

Yep I'd do it.

boydogs
30-09-2014, 08:29 PM

He was borderline AA this year, equivalent to Griff's first year in the midfield when some of us were questioning whether it was a wise move to take him out of defense before he went bang the following season.

Carlisle can take a mark with a running jump but so can Jones, or Majak Daw for that matter. Our tall defenders were rubbish the second half of the year, he only took 2 marks the following week v Sydney

ledge
30-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Now herald /sun reporting Tutt has walked out as well

Happy Days
30-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Now herald /sun reporting Tutt has walked out as well

"You can't fire me, I quit!"

1eyedog
30-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Nothing to see here...

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 08:36 PM
That must have been one harsh performance review.

Templeton31
30-09-2014, 09:12 PM
geeze whats going on down there. is everyone who feels harshly done by this year walking out?

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 09:13 PM
The article about Tutt:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-tutt-latest-to-quit-western-bulldogs-in-search-of-new-contract-at-rival-afl-club/story-fni5fazt-1227075622351

Macca even drew them a cartoon for it.

ratsmac
30-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Tutt as well now, bloody hell what's going on down there?

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Progress

jeemak
30-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Sounds to me he's been offered better terms than what we were prepared to offer.

Thanks for your services Jason.

comrade
30-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Higgins, Jones and Tutt are 3 of the biggest underachievers on the list. Yeah, it's disappointing that we didn't see them reach their potential with us but all 3 of them leaving, individually and as a collective, won't hurt us moving forward.

It's not like Stringer or Bonti is telling us to shove it...

Get in 3 tough, committed blokes that will kill for the red, white and blue. These 3 just didn't have it...

The bulldog tragician
30-09-2014, 09:52 PM
For what it's worth Mark Stevens is tweeting about a rumour that BMac could be sacked

https://twitter.com/stevo7afl/status/516874070780936192

azabob
30-09-2014, 09:57 PM
For what it's worth Mark Stevens is tweeting about a rumour that BMac could be sacked

https://twitter.com/stevo7afl/status/516874070780936192

At least post his follow up tweet.

LostDoggy
30-09-2014, 10:01 PM
All 3 blokes don't have the workrate required to make it. Yes it's not a good look on the surface with 3 blokes wanting out but I'm backing Macca in with his philosophies and these 3 just don't cut it.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Add Pearce, Austin and Greenwood and we will have cut the list very well.

F'scary
30-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Add Pearce, Austin and Greenwood and we will have cut the list very well.

But we need Austin to blanket Jones!

whythelongface
30-09-2014, 10:07 PM
There must have been some truths behind closed doors. I think this is good as there seems to be a line drawn in the sand that if you want to play in this team you need to earn it. It appears we are also not prepared to pat overs for underachievers.

whythelongface
30-09-2014, 10:09 PM
We certainly have cut deep intentionally or not. Hopefully we can make a play for a big scalp with some freeing up of our salary cap.

whythelongface
30-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Just read the article on news.com on Tutt. His creativity was a standout feature. Really.

Remi Moses
30-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Just reading some of those tweets from some Norf fan really makes one pleased they don't have social media.

F'scary
30-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Just read the article on news.com on Tutt. His creativity was a standout feature. Really.

His cement hands always stood out for mine.

G-Mo77
30-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Like Jones I don't blame Tutt for looking elsewhere. We made it clear this year he was not a wanted player with us so can you blame him for looking for a better pasture.

chef
30-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Cleaning out the dead wood.

G-Mo77
30-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Cleaning out the dead wood.

I wouldn't call it cutting dead wood when we're trying to resign him and he refuses.

I was 50/50 on him next year. With another club interested we may actually get something for him......hopefully.

Doggy
30-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Jones 66 games in 6 seasons, average 11 games a year.
Tutt 27 games in 5 seasons, average 5 games a year.

Not fussed with these two leaving

whythelongface
30-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't call it cutting dead wood when we're trying to resign him and he refuses.

I was 50/50 on him next year. With another club interested we may actually get something for him......hopefully.

Maybe in all 3 cases the club was calling their bluff knowing full well they would seek other opportunities, whilst providing us with an opportunity to free up some salary cap and gain some potential round 2 or 3 draft picks.

bornadog
30-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Jones 66 games in 6 seasons, average 11 games a year.
Tutt 27 games in 5 seasons, average 5 games a year.

Not fussed with these two leaving

I would rather the club makes the move and not players just quitting. This really makes us look bad. How will we attract new layers to the club if this is how players are treated.

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 01:18 AM
I would rather the club makes the move and not players just quitting. This really makes us look bad. How will we attract new layers to the club if this is how players are treated.

They've put contract offers forward, and they've been rejected.
What should they do? Pay overs ?

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Can someone tell me about how much would Higgins be on now? The thought of him wanting out still pisses me off, now with Tutt oh god help us when R.Murphy retires.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 03:20 AM

Can't see how it makes us look bad, it would if they were first 18 players. But they are fringe players they won't be the last fringe players to want out. FWIW I don't want them to go.

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Let's be honest about this, as it's not exactly Bonts , Jake, Jackson or young Libba walking out the door.
Tutts a fringe player and to be honest the jury is out on him improving enough to be a competent AFL player.

G-Mo77
01-10-2014, 05:58 AM
Can't see how it makes us look bad, it would if they were first 18 players. But they are fringe players they won't be the last fringe players to want out. FWIW I don't want them to go.

I get what you're saying but I agree with BAD on this one. We're offering these fringe players contracts and they're refusing. It doesn't look good especially with rumors tied to problems off field.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I get what you're saying but I agree with BAD on this one. We're offering these fringe players contracts and they're refusing. It doesn't look good especially with rumors tied to problems off field.

Dunno, shades of Collingwood and Buckley. Players that can't handle the strong direction of the coaching staff we're better off without. Let's see who the draftees and tradees are before we worry about this.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Dunno, shades of Collingwood and Buckley. Players that can't handle the strong direction of the coaching staff we're better off without. Let's see who the draftees and tradees are before we worry about this.

Are you saying what is happening at Collingwood is a good thing?

always right
01-10-2014, 08:55 AM
All the speculation about McCartney and whether he is likely to get a tap on the shoulder........if true, I wonder how many of the football department would go with him considering so many joined our club on the back of their strong relationship with McCartney. Would destabilize the club big time.

I don't like what I'm hearing at the moment regardless of where the fault lies. A divided club will go backwards very quickly.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
They've put contract offers forward, and they've been rejected.
What should they do? Pay overs ?

I really despise this argument. How do we know that the reason for leaving is fiscal?

We sound like a dead-set bunch of povo's with talk like that, who's that going to attract to our club? Despite our financial situation, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy that we can't afford good players.

Go_Dogs
01-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Maybe it will say, we are no longer going to carry and/or overpay to keep under performing players. If you would like to join a ruthless organisation, with 100% committed individuals, who are strong willed and team orientated, with some of the best young players in the league, come and join us.

It would have been great had Jones developed into a good or better, consistent key forward for us. It hasn't happened. Maybe it will elsewhere, maybe it won't. He has decided he doesn't want to be the man, but wants more opportunities, so has left.

It would have been great if Higgins had developed into the silky, smooth moving forward/midfielder we had hoped he would, but injuries have curtailed that, along with the development of younger players in those roles. We have tried him down back with moderate success, but again, he has decided he wants a change. He's given us solid service, his manager has said it will be done reasonably due to the mutual respect between Shaun and the Club.

It would have been great if Tutt could find that last 10% of improvement to become a quick, running player for us but it hasn't. If he can get more money and/or a longer contract elsewhere I won't begrudge him or the Club for not working harder to come to terms.

At the end of the day, we have to become a better side, we need to be smarter with our list management, we need to position ourselves to make moves for FA and out of contract expansion club players. So when our upward curve starts, and our young players become consistent performers, we can make moves to become a genuine contender.

I know there is a lot going on at the moment, but for the first time in a while I am seeing an approach which is focused on making us into a successful club that transitions it's list well without having to bottom out and be in a 10 year cycle of coming close, bottoming out and rebuilding to come close again.

I may be wrong, but I'm prepared to back our guys in a little longer to show there is a method to what some deem madness.

The Underdog
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I really despise this argument. How do we know that the reason for leaving is fiscal?

We sound like a dead-set bunch of povo's with talk like that, who's that going to attract to our club. Despite our financial, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Both Jones and Tutt have specified greater opportunity as a reason for leaving. I don't think money is the issue. The coach might be. To be fair we got Crameri last year by supposedly offering him more than Essendon were willing to. So it's a short memory for anyone who claims we're cheaping out on players.

wimberga
01-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Maybe it will say, we are no longer going to carry and/or overpay to keep under performing players. If you would like to join a ruthless organisation, with 100% committed individuals, who are strong willed and team orientated, with some of the best young players in the league, come and join us.

It would have been great had Jones developed into a good or better, consistent key forward for us. It hasn't happened. Maybe it will elsewhere, maybe it won't. He has decided he doesn't want to be the man, but wants more opportunities, so has left.

It would have been great if Higgins had developed into the silky, smooth moving forward/midfielder we had hoped he would, but injuries have curtailed that, along with the development of younger players in those roles. We have tried him down back with moderate success, but again, he has decided he wants a change. He's given us solid service, his manager has said it will be done reasonably due to the mutual respect between Shaun and the Club.

It would have been great if Tutt could find that last 10% of improvement to become a quick, running player for us but it hasn't. If he can get more money and/or a longer contract elsewhere I won't begrudge him or the Club for not working harder to come to terms.

At the end of the day, we have to become a better side, we need to be smarter with our list management, we need to position ourselves to make moves for FA and out of contract expansion club players. So when our upward curve starts, and our young players become consistent performers, we can make moves to become a genuine contender.

I know there is a lot going on at the moment, but for the first time in a while I am seeing an approach which is focused on making us into a successful club that transitions it's list well without having to bottom out and be in a 10 year cycle of coming close, bottoming out and rebuilding to come close again.

I may be wrong, but I'm prepared to back our guys in a little longer to show there is a method to what some deem madness.

Well said Griff16 - agree with all of the above.

The players that want to leave are all seeking further opportunity and none-bar Higgins- have been able to cement themselves as best 22 players on a consistent basis.

That is why they are willing and wanting to leave the club, and its the same reason we shouldn't be too upset about it.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Great post. It is a crucial time for our club, I for one am sick of supporters potting the coaching staff, its about time we address our long standing culture of close enough is good enough - the hard edge displayed by the club has been a long time coming and if we buckle now I fear we will never be a contender.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Who are we actually paying our money too? I'm assuming we were paying the minimum salary cap this year? Higgins would have been on around 300k? If we are planning on using 100% (or 105%) of the salary cap next year then we would need to pay somebody lots of monies.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Who are we actually paying our money too? I'm assuming we were paying the minimum salary cap this year? Higgins would have been on around 300k? If we are planning on using 100% (or 105%) of the salary cap next year then we would need to pay somebody lots of monies.

We should be front loading long term contracts with Macrae, Bonts, Libba and Stringer. But on 5 and 6 tear deals not 2.

Go to the draft for the first 3 years and improve our stocks of youngsters then in 3 years or so when the front loading has caught up, these players will be peaking, we will presumably have a heap of new talent from drafting and we should free up a lot of cap space to land a FA or two to fill our gaps.

ratsmac
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
While it does look like there is tensions in the inner sanctums between players and coach, it is a good sign seeing that we have finished on the lower end of the ladder the last few years. Harmony is bliss but if there is harmony without results well it would seem as if there is no pressure to get better results. If I don't push my apprentices to the point where they get pissed off with me, they just fall into a comfortable routine and their quality of work doesn't improve much. If Macca is upsetting players because he wants more from them and they won't /can't deliver and they don't want to toe the line anymore, well don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

I felt we have carried a few players in the last couple years and we didn't trim the list back hard enough anyway. Time to try a slightly different formula.

Pedro Sanchez
01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
I actually think our approach is smart, and there much be so much going on behind the scenes that we’re not privy to. We’re all forming opinions on rumor, innuendo and two fringe players that have walked – granted Higgins decision is a shame, but lots on hear have bagged him and his injuries for years so cant begrudge for wanting a fresh start.

But ever thought this might be the actual strategy of the club… To let players give the impression they’re walking, when the actual fact that’s the very result the club wanted. And by taking this approach, we have bargaining power to achieve half decent trades in the process?

From all reports there is a lot of depth in the draft this year, so stockpiling picks between 20 and 45ish seems feasible. Which is the likely result of trading Tutt, Jones and compo for Higgins.

Anyway it’s obviously a pivotal time for the coach and a bunch of underperforming players right now. Careers will be made and broken in the coming season, so I appreciate the footy department making some tough calls.

To be fair and Higgins aside, Jones and Tutt couldn’t demand a spot in a team that finished with 7 wins for the year. Sure they had decent form in the twos at different times, but hardly banged down the door. That says it all…

For the moment I’m looking at the glass being half full, and the stories of unrest are just a natural occurrence after some robust discussions and hard calls. Just really hoping my gut feel is accurate.

Up the dog!

Axe Man
01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Looks like we have an interest in a young Irish prospect:

McKenna has the luck of the Irish (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-01/luck-of-the-irish)

After he touched down in Australia he spent three days training with West Coast in Perth before flying to Melbourne and going out to the Bombers' new facility at Tullamarine. "That big hangar is amazing," he said. He went back to the club on Friday to meet some officials, having visited the Western Bulldogs and Geelong for interviews in between.

and

Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs are interested in Irish prospect Conor McKenna.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Looks like we have an interest in a young Irish prospect:

McKenna has the luck of the Irish (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-01/luck-of-the-irish)

Great I love the good Irish players and obviously they have many of the skills of AFL minus tackling and kicking the oval ball. Our incomes must be extremely attractive to them and would attract the best of them. They just need to be taught and would be very willing learners, something Irish heritage McCartney would relish.

ledge
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Hopefully it's not a mix up with Guy McKenna

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Are you saying what is happening at Collingwood is a good thing?

I am not intimate enough with it to know but it could be. Leaders must be respected and be backed to assert the culture of their vision. Gen Y or whatever culture that does not have sufficient respect for leadership and would rather promote their views and expectations in opposition to the leader, undermine the leadership and disrespect the club in preference to their own agenda.

Topdog
01-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I am not intimate enough with it to know but it could be. Leaders must be respected and be backed to assert the culture of their vision. Gen Y or whatever culture that does not have sufficient respect for leadership and would rather promote their views and expectations in opposition to the leader, undermine the leadership and disrespect the club in preference to their own agenda.

Well they have gone down every season under Buck's leadership so perhaps it needs to be questioned.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Two examples of ingrained respect for leadership that results in order and efficacy are the court room and umpiring. In both cases dissent is not tolerated, in cricket players must not even have body language that dissents. So ultimate respect is given to the call of the leader and it prevents resentment being aired and gaining followers in opposition to the leader. By contrast in the classroom nowadays students often swear at teachers, get their parents to complain etc and teachers can be morooned.
Leaders must have ultimate respect for ultimate performance of the group. Before you say the respect must be earned, no not in a good community: respect of a leader must be supported at every level of the culture.
So it must be for McCartney and Buckley if their clubs are to flourish. If a player has a grievance, sort it out or get out. Don't infect others, don't put yourself before the club because that is the antithesis of team.
No 'I' in 'team'.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Well they have gone down every season under Buck's leadership so perhaps it needs to be questioned.

That is the job of the committee not the players. Their job is to not infect other players with their misgivings but to access whatever forum the club provides. Leadership is extremely vulnerable to dissent and must be protected. Buckley inherited a lot of cowboys that had some very shady associates. Those players were talented but wanted to do things their way. Who wants a club like that, it's a recipe that could undermine not just a struggling club but also the greatest club in Australia. Essendon have fallen and so could Collingwood if mismanaged.
It may be that Buckley is not a good people manager but it could also be that players don't respect that leadership must be ultimately respected for the good of the group. Umpires make wrong calls but if players therefore fail to accept the umpires judgement then we have a game without order.

bornadog
01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Tutt to Richmond?

Twodogs
01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Tutt to Richmond?

Cool. They are lunatics to trade with.

KT31
01-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Tutt to Richmond?

The Hun reported Melbourne.

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 02:18 PM

We sound like a dead-set bunch of povo's with talk like that, who's that going to attract to our club? Despite our financial situation, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy that we can't afford good players.
Like everyone here I'm merely speculating that it is money.
I should say hypothetically speaking if we offer a player more money than we think they're worth, then we shouldn't .

Guido
01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Leaders must have ultimate respect for ultimate performance of the group. Before you say the respect must be earned, no not in a good community: respect of a leader must be supported at every level of the culture.
So it must be for McCartney and Buckley if their clubs are to flourish. If a player has a grievance, sort it out or get out. Don't infect others, don't put yourself before the club because that is the antithesis of team.
No 'I' in 'team'.
Yeah, but what if the leader is shit?

Should the same unconditional, unquestionable faith have applied to Rohde? With Cross and Gilbee ready to leave should every player with valid reservations have shut their mouths and accepted having a muppet in charge, rather than giving the relevant people an inside perspective, fight for change and the betterment of the club?

Hypothetically, if a couple of higher calibre young players were uncontracted now (say Hrovat, JJ or Stringer) and also wanted to walk making it 6-7 wanting out, everybody should just shut the **** up and bow to leader?

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I think we may have tipped over the edge in regards to player empowerment .
Gary Ablett ( as much as it will be denied) has a massive say on the coach

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Should the same unconditional, unquestionable faith have applied to Rohde? With Cross and Gilbee ready to leave should every player with valid reservations have shut their mouths and accepted having a muppet in charge, rather than giving the relevant people an inside perspective, fight for change and the betterment of the club?

Hypothetically, if a couple of higher calibre young players were uncontracted now (say Hrovat, JJ or Stringer) and also wanted to walk making it 6-7 wanting out, everybody should just shut the **** up and bow to leader?

Make a good point, but honestly are the players now having to much to say?
The Sanderson situation was totally insane, and players denied any involvement .
Must admit I'm beginning to worry how this is going to end, as the jungle drums beat louder

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I know its Barret and Wallace, but Wallace made a good point when discussing this on trade radio, if (and they were certain there is) significant player unrest there is no going back, you can not repair that loss of relationship, it sits and festers, peformance will suffer, its either goodbye to the coach, or goodbye to the players who have an issue.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
I know its Barret and Wallace, but Wallace made a good point when discussing this on trade radio, if (and they were certain there is) significant player unrest there is no going back, you can not repair that loss of relationship, it sits and festers, peformance will suffer, its either goodbye to the coach, or goodbye to the players who have an issue.

Yep I tend to agree

Before I Die
01-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Isn't it possible that we have just seen the departure of the players who have an issue. How many years at a club do you need to have before you are described as a senior player? Is the senior vs junior player unrest between the the 5+ year players who have struggled to cement a place and the 1st and 2nd year players who have taken their spots. Hrovat and JJ have moved ahead of Tutt. Stringer has displaced Jones.

Jones and Tutt would have been playing for their careers next year, if they were given any games. This is a win win for player and club.

bornadog
01-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Well Talia apparently rumoured wanting to walk says he will not.

SlimPickens
01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Well Talia apparently rumoured wanting to walk says he will not.

What do you mean BAD?

bornadog
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
What do you mean BAD?

Just a rumour:

BULLDOGS ONLINE can confirm after speaking to sources that Michael Talia WILL remain at the Football Club in 2015 and Beyond.

He had been rumored in the last 24 Hours to be leaving after the departures of Liam Jones, Shaun Higgins and Jason Tutt

and probbaly just talk.

azabob
01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Just a rumour:

and probbaly just talk.

What is bulldogs online?

azabob
01-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Being reported that Tutt has nominated Carlton.

The Underdog
01-10-2014, 09:05 PM

Perhaps we can package he and Jones for a better deal

Doc26
01-10-2014, 09:06 PM

They just might become a threat to us for our tilt at back to back flags.

bulldogtragic
01-10-2014, 09:08 PM

I just heard a loud dull noise in Bendigo. Can anyone can confirm a collective sigh coming from Lygon Street area.

azabob
01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Perhaps we can package he and Jones for a better deal

It will be interesting. Carlton have pick 26, which you would assume is put aside for Jaskch, and the 43 & 62.

They will also get compo for Waite. Assume 3rd or 4th round.

I still think we will get at best two third round picks for both or most likely outcome 3rd and 4th round pick.

Go_Dogs
01-10-2014, 09:15 PM
It will be interesting. Carlton have pick 26, which you would assume is put aside for Jaskch, and the 43 & 62.

They will also get compo for Waite. Assume 3rd or 4th round.

I still think we will get at best two third round picks for both or most likely outcome 3rd and 4th round pick.

Maybe Carlton have to swap their first round selection for GWS' second and third round picks (or similar) and we can ask for Carlton's second round selection? Lots o water to go under the bridge so not concerned at the moment.

azabob
01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Maybe Carlton have to swap their first round selection for GWS' second and third round picks (or similar) and we can ask for Carlton's second round selection? Lots o water to go under the bridge so not concerned at the moment.

Yeah perhaps.

Clearly I'm not very good at this!!

There are no players on Carlton's list we need that are getable.

comrade
01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Matthew Watson anyone?

anfo27
01-10-2014, 09:39 PM
The Dogs are one of a handful of clubs also tracking GWS academy player Jack Steele.

The powerful midfielder from Canberra was overlooked last year after knee troubles but Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni has praised his decision-making and execution.

azabob
01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Matthew Watson anyone?

Why has he struggled at Carlton? First round pick, in and out of the team.

I think the knock is his lack of pace.

Bulldog4life
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/carlton-blues/western-bulldogs-afl-utility-jason-tutt-wants-to-join-carlton-20141001-10opex.html

Talks are underway for Canberra's most recent AFL draftee, Jason Tutt, to join Carlton.

Tutt has told the Western Bulldogs he wants to go to the Blues when trading is done between October 6-16.

The 23-year-old has managed only 27 games since being taken at pick 31 in the 2009 draft. He played just seven games this year as he fell down the pecking order in the club's list of small forwards.

The Blues have been in talks with the Bulldogs about a trade, which could be achieved by as little as a fourth-round selection, which is currently pick 62.

Tutt's manager Nick Gieschen said his client had told Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney that he would like a trade and was hopeful of making it happen next week.

"If we can get him to Carlton, it would be a good result," Gieschen said. "It's about more opportunities, a fresh start and a new environment.

"He's been at the club for five years and they have got a lot of smaller forward types. He probably sees Carlton as a better opportunity to get a more consistent game in the AFL side."

The Blues have picks six, 26, 43, 62, 80, 98 and 116 in the upcoming draft.

Tutt is the third Bulldogs player in a week to quit the club following free agent Shaun Higgins and Liam Jones, who knocked back the club's latest contract offer.

A product of Ainslie, Tutt was brought on slowly by the Bulldogs before he made his AFL debut in round 22 of 2011 against Port Adelaide.

Tutt's first three kicks in the AFL were goals and he finished his first game with 26 disposals and four goals.

However, he has since struggled to establish himself in the Bulldogs side.

After playing in the final three games of the 2011 season, Tutt wasn't picked until round 15 in 2012, making five appearances for the year.

He was selected in a career-high 11 games last year before playing just seven matches this season, the majority of those in an unfamiliar defensive role

Doc26
01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Matthew Watson anyone?

Why has he struggled at Carlton? First round pick, in and out of the team.

I think the knock is his lack of pace.

He did fracture his foot towards the end of the 2013 season. This may have hampered his development and opportunity this season. He could fill the void left recently for players with disproportionate head sizes.

ledge
01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
He has good hands, they threw him up forward and he performed quite well

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Matthew Watson anyone?

He is average as a defender, but I watched him live v Essendon in the last round up forward and he was excellent. He is a great user of the ball.

If we could do Jones + Tutt for Watson & a third rounder that would be a good result.

EasternWest
01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
He did fracture his foot towards the end of the 2013 season. This may have hampered his development and opportunity this season. He could fill the void left recently for players with disproportionate head sizes.

I would have been disappointed if this hadn't been brought up.

That melon is ginormous.

GVGjr
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Matthew Watson anyone?

I had a good look at their list and he is one of just 3 players I might consider.
Take away their better players an their depth is tested quickly.

bornadog
01-10-2014, 11:10 PM
The more I think about the more I think the current coaching has tried make Tutt a player he isn't, that is one that cracks in. The guy is an outside running player and that is the way we should have been playing him. You can't have everyone cracking in, have a look at the grandfinalists with Hill and Jetta on their team. We already lack pace.

Oh well, maybe we will end up with a better player.

azabob
01-10-2014, 11:26 PM
I had a good look at their list and he is one of just 3 players I might consider.
Take away their better players an their depth is tested quickly.

Who were the other two?

Greystache
01-10-2014, 11:29 PM
The more I think about the more I think the current coaching has tried make Tutt a player he isn't, that is one that cracks in. The guy is an outside running player and that is the way we should have been playing him. You can't have everyone cracking in, have a look at the grandfinalists with Hill and Jetta on their team. We already lack pace.

Jetta had 4 possessions for the entire game, and he's a hell of a lot more talented.

Soft outside runners are as obsolete as the play on at all costs game plan. Tutt isn't an AFL player, he's just another poor selection from a shocking era of recruiting for the club.

GVGjr
01-10-2014, 11:32 PM

You need players that can adapt and while you have drawn the analogy of asking Tutt to crack in, I don't think that was the case.
He was asked to have a more defensive ethic and I don't believe he's been asked to crack in.

Hill and Everitt were asked to change the way they played in fact they were moved on after we backed ourselves to make them better players but we couldn't get them to play the way we wanted.

It just doesn't work some times.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Jetta had 4 possessions for the entire game, and he's a hell of a lot more talented.

Soft outside runners are as obsolete as the play on at all costs game plan. Tutt isn't an AFL player, he's just another poor selection from a shocking era of recruiting for the club.

Yep.

And for all of Jettas talent, his Grand Final will go down as one of the worst of all time. He was embarrassing.

bornadog
01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Yep.

And for all of Jettas talent, his Grand Final will go down as one of the worst of all time. He was embarrassing.

Got knocked out which didn't help his cause.

jeemak
01-10-2014, 11:46 PM

I don't think he was made to do anything more than being a rounded contributor.

The times he played outside his concrete hands and tendency to panic with the ball hurt him and he paid for it by minimal opportunities in that role.

If he gets more opportunities in what he sees as his niche as a small half forward then good luck to him. I'll take Hrovat, Dall and Hunter over him any day of the week .

bornadog
01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't think he was made to do anything more than being a rounded contributor.

The times he played outside his concrete hands and tendency to panic with the ball hurt him and he paid for it by minimal opportunities in that role.

If he gets more opportunities in what he sees as his niche as a small half forward then good luck to him. I'll take Hrovat, Dall and Hunter over him any day of the week .

Don't worry, I m not sad to see him go. For me the jury was still out on him.

craigsahibee
02-10-2014, 12:08 AM

He's a softball player or should that be a soft, ball player.

Sedat
02-10-2014, 12:40 AM

Yep, outside players still need to get their hands dirty when required. Stephen Hill and his brother Brad are perfect examples of players who are devastating on the outside but aren't afraid to get down and dirty when needed. Tutt is simply an ordinary footballer who suffers from the Ron Deuilio disease - too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL.

jeemak
02-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Yep, outside players still need to get their hands dirty when required. Stephen Hill and his brother Brad are perfect examples of players who are devastating on the outside but aren't afraid to get down and dirty when needed. Tutt is simply an ordinary footballer who suffers from the Ron Deuilio disease - too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL.

Blast from the past!

I remember a Carlton game from 1992 (because my bro incessantly replayed The Gathering Storm) when I was a kid and ol' Ronny took it up to Tony Shaw big time......and that was about it for him.

Tutt had the tools to begin with, but he never developed a harder edge mentally and it affected his ability to keep up with the players around him who could hold on to the footy and use it when their chances presented themselves.

I look at players like Jones, Tutt and Howard, and don't lament the fact they haven't been given opportunities to improve. Whilst the club will ultimately pay for drafting them and not getting the output from them it would have hoped, in my view a lot of the onus comes down to the players for not getting the best out of themselves.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Tutt as Sedat put it, is a between AFL and VFL type.
Panic's and has hands of concrete, whereas although Jetta had a shocker in the GF he is excellent with ball in hand .
If you're going to be an outside type you have to have good composure and good skills, and Tutt has average disposal and awful composure.

soupman
02-10-2014, 08:17 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/carlton-blues/western-bulldogs-afl-utility-jason-tutt-wants-to-join-carlton-20141001-10opex.html

...selected in a carrer-high 11 games last year before playing just seven matches this season, the majority of those in an unfamiliar defensive role

I don't recall this.

Theres only a couple of players on Carltons list that I think might be interesting targets:
Matthew Watson: High draft pick, KPP player at either end, huge kick, bigger head. For some reason he has never been more than a fringe player at the Blues, but my impression is that he uses it well which would b a nice change, his long kicking could be a point of difference out of defence and he might be gettable for Jones and Tutt. Not sure Carlton rate him that highly atm.

Cameron Giles: Admittedly I know nothing about him, but a young KPP who was picked at 39 in last years draft. Could be an option if we think he is decent and Carltons second round pick is already gone.

Tom Bell: I know he is more of what we already have but I believe we chased him a few years ago. Is actually rated by Carlton but we may be a chance of prying him loose

Jeff Garlett is the other one who would actually be available and is a decent player, I just don't think he fits our needs.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
You need players that can adapt and while you have drawn the analogy of asking Tutt to crack in, I don't think that was the case.
He was asked to have a more defensive ethic and I don't believe he's been asked to crack in.

Hill and Everitt were asked to change the way they played in fact they were moved on after we backed ourselves to make them better players but we couldn't get them to play the way we wanted.

Is Jones in the same boat? Waited for him to get better and didnt? Would be funny if so as Carlton will have all of Tutt, Jones and Everitt.....very interesting to see what kind of players they turn out to be under Malthouse. Everitt had an ok year. Good by his standards. Hill certainly improved at West Coast. But at the end of the day these players are not going to pull you over the line in a final. They are simply handy players to have when all is going well and things are easy.

Hot_Doggies
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't recall this.

Theres only a couple of players on Carltons list that I think might be interesting targets:
Matthew Watson: High draft pick, KPP player at either end, huge kick, bigger head. For some reason he has never been more than a fringe player at the Blues, but my impression is that he uses it well which would b a nice change, his long kicking could be a point of difference out of defence and he might be gettable for Jones and Tutt. Not sure Carlton rate him that highly atm.

Bad call "soupaman".

Watson is way too slow. Struggles in defence and got lucky in round 23 with a few cheap goals. If Carlton are serious about list management he should be delisted.

Take the draft pick and move on

soupman
02-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Bad call "soupaman".

Watson is way too slow. Struggles in defence and got lucky in round 23 with a few cheap goals. If Carlton are serious about list management he should be delisted.

Take the draft pick and move on

Yeah just spoke to a Carlton supporter who said similiar things. Still at least we could add him to the talls of shame thread.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah just spoke to a Carlton supporter who said similiar things. Still at least we could add him to the talls of shame thread.

If he was any good then they wouldn't want Liam.

Hot_Doggies
02-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Nice little dig at our senior players from Bomber Thompson last night at b&f.

Said our senior players won't adapt and are roadblocks.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Nice little dig at our senior players from Bomber Thompson last night at b&f.

Said our senior players won't adapt and are roadblocks.

Why is he commenting on our players? Is this still sour grapes over losing Crameri?

Murphy'sLore
02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
He made reference to the Crows as well I believe. I can just see Brenton Sanderson, Macca and Bomber getting together for a convivial whinge about their jobs and a debrief, poor form of Bomber to reveal it in public though.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM
He made reference to the Crows as well I believe. I can just see Brenton Sanderson, Macca and Bomber getting together for a convivial whinge about their jobs and a debrief, poor form of Bomber to reveal it in public though.

I have a very low opinion of Bomber, especially what has happened at that club over the pass few years. He is not squeeky clean.

Ghost Dog
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Hill and Everitt were terrible defensively. Josh's body would go all floppy as soon as the direction of the ball changed. Used to drive me mad.

westdog54
02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Is Jones in the same boat? Waited for him to get better and didnt? Would be funny if so as Carlton will have all of Tutt, Jones and Everitt.....very interesting to see what kind of players they turn out to be under Malthouse. Everitt had an ok year. Good by his standards. Hill certainly improved at West Coast. But at the end of the day these players are not going to pull you over the line in a final. They are simply handy players to have when all is going well and things are easy.

Hill was the sole beneficiary of Mark LeCras missing most of a season. If they are at full strength Josh Hill is nowhere near their best 22.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Simon Garlick on trade radio from 9:30ish.

Bulldog4life
02-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks. Yes will be listening.

Bulldog4life
02-10-2014, 11:55 AM

ps: Has he been on?

Dogmatic
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Tutt is simply an ordinary footballer who suffers from the Ron Deuilio disease - too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL.

Isn't it also known as the john ballantyne disease

Doc26
02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
ps: Has he been on?

No. Not until ~09:45.

Carlton expect their 3rd round for Liam Jones.

Bulldog4life
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
No. Not until ~09:45.

Carlton expect their 3rd round for Liam Jones.

Thanks just heard he is on soon.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 12:56 PM
By the sounds of Garlic we will be very active in the draft period to bring in players to compliment the great drafting in the last 3 years.

Confirmed we are looking at Jansch and Membrey.

Also mentioned we will be lobbying for a band 2 (end of first round) for Higgins.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I think Sam Reid is very much in our sights off Garlick's round-a-bout answer. Thinking if Higgins is band 2 end of first round compo then Reid is at the dogs.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
My notes from the interview.

Really dissatisfied with the year internally, very comprehensive and strong review of the entire program, coaches and list. That created some discomfort in the playing group. But all are now aligned and committed to the future.

Really good core group of under 23 midfielders which is comparable to the best in the league. Now need to compliment that with KP stocks, slight change in drafting as core focus, we'll be very aggressive in adding to our list, proactive look at trade period.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Also,
Target Liam Jones at Carlton's 2nd rounder, that's where they see his worth.
Membrey has only played 1 game. We'd not entertain a late first round or second round pick for him.
Not a lot of internal discussion on Carlton's Robinson or Garlett.
VFL development program integral to our success. Development of players as focused benefit, Ancillary benefits to supporter basis, community under estimated.

Twodogs
02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that stevw9. Really good report.

bulldogsman
02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
I think Sam Reid is very much in our sights off Garlick's round-a-bout answer. Thinking if Higgins is band 2 end of first round compo then Reid is at the dogs.

He said Reid was quite content at Sydney, has a girlfriend there. Sounded like to me there's only a slim chance of Reid coming to the dogs.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Yes, the faith should be fortified for the tenure or else the whole structure suffers. You seem anxious that I am suggesting totalitarianism. The coach as a dictator. No of course not and bad leaders need to be decommissioned asap. But of course bad leaders don’t come with a label or else they wouldn’t get the job in the first place. There needs to be a due process that protects the position and the incumbent until the clubs committee deems the coach gets the boot. If judges and umpires were open to criticism the court and game become a farce. If cricketers were opposing the umpires decision, the game becomes a joke. If the accused was able to lambast the judge there would be less respect for the law. Respect for the law is essential even though the law cannot possibly be correct all the time.
If doubt in the leader is too readily given a forum, then the leader and the team are exposed to human anxiety, individual and minority self interest which unnecessarily undermines the structure. The Peter Rhodes of this world are a minority, there have been more leaders undermined unnecessarily. The greater evil is the lack of support for the leader as opposed to bad leaders being given tenure. Umpiring and the judicial system function well because of the support for the leader which is unequalled in other fields. The club, the community, the organisation functions better when leadership is supported.
Of course a system for dealing with the Peter Rhode judges and umpires of this world is needed and in place in our society and the AFL but it is not done by judging them in a free market scenario such as Tutt and Jones wanting out because they don't like being put in the twos. Anyone can throw shit and it sticks.
With coaches and leaders, use the “principal of generosity” as opposed to critical thinking; give them a decent time frame to be good before being critical and realise airing criticism means you too are Brutus, “ Et tu Brute” and undermine the club or group in so doing.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
My notes from the interview.

Really dissatisfied with the year internally, very comprehensive and strong review of the entire program, coaches and list. That created some discomfort in the playing group. But all are now aligned and committed to the future.

Really good core group of under 23 midfielders which is comparable to the best in the league. Now need to compliment that with KP stocks, slight change in drafting as core focus, we'll be very aggressive in adding to our list, proactive look at trade period.

Thankyou for the info.

He also said on Higgins: We'll assess that on Friday. We'll be advised of his offer on Friday, we need to make a decision whether we match it

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Confirmed we are looking at Jansch

Sorry is this Jaensch from Adelaide or Jaksch from GWS?

bornadog
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM

I believe Jaksch.

Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/nabtraderadio/simon-garlick-on-nab-trade-radio?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

G-Mo77
02-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Jaensch would be a great get, beautiful kick off the HBF for teh Crows. Doubt it's him though.

bulldogsman
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Probably the biggest thing I got out of the Garlick interview was that that we will be more aggressive this trade period. The draft isn't as bigger priority as it has been in previous years.

I suspect we might be trying our hardest to land a big fish this year.

G-Mo77
02-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Probably the biggest thing I got out of the Garlick interview was that that we will be more aggressive this trade period. The draft isn't as bigger priority as it has been in previous years.

I suspect we might be trying our hardest to land a big fish this year.

I thought the opposite. He mentioned that they are focused on building through the draft and didn't really elaborate much on opposition players although he said he wouldn't discuss in detail anyway.

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I thought the opposite. He mentioned that they are focused on building through the draft and didn't really elaborate much on opposition players although he said he wouldn't discuss in detail anyway.

I thought he mentioned they will be going away from going to the draft this year, which he acknowledged is a different approach to the last few years.

Also with Frawley chosing Hawthorn as his preferred destination, you would think he is chosing success over money and length of contract. Which could ruin Melbourne's chance of getting prioirty 1 compensation and highely increase our chances of securing Peter Wright.

G-Mo77
02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I thought he mentioned they will be going away from going to the draft this year, which he acknowledged is a different approach to the last few years.

OK I'll take both your words for it then. I was playing with little G-Mo77 at the time and he was making a bit of noise.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Personally think our priority should be attack the draft .
Reports are it's pretty deep for bigs and not Mids.
I just don't get the philosophy of shipping out periphery players and bringing in other periphery players.
We've beefed up the recruiting, so let's utilise it .I think we'd be doing cartwheels to get an end of round 1 for Higgins.
I'd look at packaging up Tutt and Jones for their second and giving them our third.

BulldogBelle
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I just don't get the philosophy of shipping out periphery players and bringing in other periphery players.
We've beefed up the recruiting, so let's utilise it .I think we'd be doing cartwheels to get an end of round 1 for Higgins.
I'd look at packaging up Tutt and Jones for their second and giving them our third.

That would be perfect for Jones and Tutt but l don't know if the Blues would want to hand over their 2nd.

If we got an end of first for Higgins l would be doing cartwheels.:)

bornadog
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Jones for pick 26, then give Sydney 25 and 26 for Sam Reid, but is Jones worth 26??

chef
02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Jones for pick 26, then give Sydney 25 and 26 for Sam Reid, but is Jones worth 26??

No, but then again Reid isn't worth the 2 picks either.

Mantis
02-10-2014, 03:59 PM

I would think Jones & Reid are almost at the straight swap stage.. Perhaps Reid has a bit more currency, but not by much.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
That would be perfect for Jones and Tutt but l don't know if the Blues would want to hand over their 2nd.

If we got an end of first for Higgins l would be doing cartwheels.:)

Maybe I should put that's what I pray happens

westdog54
02-10-2014, 04:17 PM

What happens with Zaine Cordy if we need to use a second rounder? Would mean another trade would be needed to get that trade done?

bornadog
02-10-2014, 04:24 PM
I would think Jones & Reid are almost at the straight swap stage.. Perhaps Reid has a bit more currency, but not by much.

Yeah both played in a Grand final over the last week:D

Greystache
02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
OK I'll take both your words for it then. I was playing with little G-Mo77 at the time and he was making a bit of noise.

Were the wife and kids out of the house? :D

Templeton31
02-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Reid has to be worth a lot more than Jones. Younger, better, playing in GF team vs not getting a game in the 13th placed team (or whatever we came). Also Reid is signed to a long term contract for Swans whereas Jones wants out and has nominated Carlton.

Having said all that if McCartney and the list management team think Reid is what we need then now is the best time to get him - 23yo, didnt have a great finals series and Swans still with 3 big forwards (Buddy, Tippett and Goodesy going round another year). If the assessment is Reid will be a great fit and player for us then now is the perfect time to get him as it will be when he is at his cheapest.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Just listening to Wallace and Barrett.
They think we'll get a third rounder for Higgins!!
How does this work?

bornadog
02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
How does this work?

Garlick wants a band two, ie end of round one.

Greystache
02-10-2014, 04:30 PM
How does this work?

Barrett?

How does trawling through people's rubbish bins and inventing rumours make someone an expert on free agency compensation.

I'd be more inclined to listen to James Cumming's thoughts!

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Garlick wants a band two, ie end of round one.

Isn't it about contract size and wage?

Greystache
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Isn't it about contract size and wage?

Plus age and length of contract, with the intangible subjective measure of career to date.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Barrett?

How does trawling through people's rubbish bins and inventing rumours make someone an expert on free agency compensation.

I'd be more inclined to listen to James Cumming's thoughts!

Wallace said that not Barrett

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Wallet is approaching Purple Warrior for ultimate flog status.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Hungry Dogs eye Swans talls in trade period

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have expressed interest in Sydney Swans talls Sam Reid and Tim Membrey as the club prepares to deal aggressively in the NAB AFL Trade Period.

story h (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/dogs-eye-swans-talls)ere

1eyedog
02-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I guess the Carlisle article will be out next week then.

The writings been on the wall for Membrey all year considering how far behind he is in the pecking order.

I guess we have been looking to shore a KPP up for some time which may explain the apparent nonchalance of Jones leaving.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I guess the Carlisle article will be out next week then.

The writings been on the wall for Membrey all year considering how far behind he is in the pecking order.

I guess we have been looking to shore a KPP up for some time which may explain the apparent nonchalance of Jones leaving.

Either way, we are going hard in the trade period. Be prepared to maybe trade out another player???? who knows what can happen.

G-Mo77
02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Were the wife and kids out of the house? :D

Haha. Nice one Grey. :)

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Hungry Dogs eye Swans talls in trade period

story h (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/dogs-eye-swans-talls)ere

Disappointing and disturbing news.

Club is panicking.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
The Western Bulldogs are looking at trading their First Round Pick (#5) and a player to Melbourne for the James Frawley Compensation Pick (If it is Pick #3) to recruit a Key Forward in this years National Draft according to Brett Anderson from Inside Footy.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM

Club is panicking.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Club is panicking.

So what's your plan of attack?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
The Western Bulldogs are looking at trading their First Round Pick (#5) and a player to Melbourne for the James Frawley Compensation Pick (If it is Pick #3) to recruit a Key Forward in this years National Draft according to Brett Anderson from Inside Footy.

Please be Tutt. Please be Tutt.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Think that is looking very unlikely now. Dont see Melbourne getting pick 3. Still think we can get Wright at Pick 5 though

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Melbourne would want one of our young guns, and can't see that happening.

Greystache
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Club is panicking.

I'm at a loss as to how you can draw this conclusion from that article.

Throughandthrough
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM

A problem with this is that theres no guarantee who will go 1 and 2, so you would have to make sure you are very happy with the third best option. But if its only an "average" player we are losing i'd take this

bornadog
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Think that is looking very unlikely now. Dont see Melbourne getting pick 3. Still think we can get Wright at Pick 5 though

maybe we are thinking Wright will be gone by 5?

bulldogsthru&thru
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
maybe we are thinking Wright will be gone by 5?
Yeah you would think if we do the trade we are certain that is the case. Problem is we don't know who will have pick 4 yet

wimberga
02-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I think we are thinking that if we get pushed back to 6 we won't be able to get Wright, but if we keep 5 its more likely.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I think we are thinking that if we get pushed back to 6 we won't be able to get Wright, but if we keep 5 its more likely.

Good point, I guess we will know more after tomorrow.

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm at a loss as to how you can draw this conclusion from that article.

Also have read reports of his radio interview.

The good players on the trade table are gone (Ryder, Frawley, possibly Clark) so if we're active trading this season then we're pissing away good picks on mediocre players or those we don't need (Reid and Membrey).

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Depends who the packaged player is.

In other words, not a Hrovat/Smith/JJ type.

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Who in the their right mind would want to go to the Demons?

mighty_west
02-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Also have read reports of his radio interview.

The good players on the trade table are Ryder, Frawley, possibly Clark) so if we're active trading this season then we're pissing away good picks on mediocre players or those we don't need (Reid and Membrey).

I like Reid as a forward and a good upgrade on Liam Jones, if we were to land either Wright or McCartin, that would be a great result for us imo.

Pedro Sanchez
02-10-2014, 06:27 PM
I like Reid as a forward and a good upgrade on Liam Jones, if we were to land either Wright or McCartin, that would be a great result for us imo.

Agreed. Can’t understand why people are so anti-Reid. He has a few injury niggles but two years ago he was earmarked as the next big key forward coming through.

He is 10 times the player Jones is/will be. If we can get him at the right price, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Agreed. Can’t understand why people are so anti-Reid. He has a few injury niggles but two years ago he was earmarked as the next big key forward coming through.

He is 10 times the player Jones is/will be. If we can get him at the right price, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I'm in your camp .
Reid's been utilised terribly by Sydney, as they've used him as an LRT replacement ( he's clearly not) a ruckmen, a wingmen and basically get out of the way of Buddy and Kirt.

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm in your camp .
Reid's been utilised terribly by Sydney, as they've used him as an LRT replacement ( he's clearly not) a ruckmen, a wingmen and basically get out of the way of Buddy and Kirt.

I'm not.

Have seen too much of Reid up here. Ordinary player.

Buddy and Kirk weren't always there, and Goodes has been injured in recent years. Reid has never shown much.

Pedro Sanchez
02-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm in your camp .

Yeah I think he’s been royally stitched by the arrival of Franklin and Tippet, as well as the slowing down of Goodes (due to age) which has seen him move more permanently forward. Go back to 2012 and in particular the GF, he was the starting CHF. The bloke is serious quality who has been shunted out of his preferred positions – either FF or CHF because of the arrival of other elite talent.

Like I said, would snap him up in a flash if the opportunity arose…

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm not.

Have seen too much of Reid up here. Ordinary player.

Buddy and Kirk weren't always there, and Goodes has been injured in recent years. Reid has never shown much.

Wouldn't think a club would offer someone a 5 year deal who hasn't showed much.

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't think a club would offer someone a 5 year deal who hasn't showed much.

Swans panicked when GWS came onto the scene, offering bizarre deals to Reid and Mitchell.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Swans panicked when GWS came onto the scene, offering bizarre deals to Reid and Mitchell.

Not sure about that. Don't think they've got a history of panicking .

mighty_west
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Agreed, crazy talk.

Dry Rot
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM

IIRC that was the reasoning behind those two strange contracts.

chef
02-10-2014, 07:20 PM
So Reid is on 500k a year with still 3 years on his contract, can we see him taking a pay cut to join us?

As we wouldn't match that wage would we

chef
02-10-2014, 07:22 PM
IIRC that was the reasoning behind those two strange contracts.

Reid 5 years at 500k and Mitchell on 450k is some crazy money. Lucky they have COLA.

Twodogs
02-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Reid 5 years at 500k and Mitchell on 450k is some crazy money. Lucky they have COLA.

Yep. Because the COLA explains why two kids are getting a quarter mill. each more than than they should.

Anyway Dry Rot is right. Sydney overreacted when GWS came calling and gave Reid a silly contract. Good luck to him. He made out like a bandit.

boydogs
02-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Please be Tutt. Please be Tutt.

I think that's what we're offering, pick 6 & Tutt for pick 3 to get Wright. Good move if we can get it done IMO

bulldogtragic
02-10-2014, 08:00 PM
I think that's what we're offering, pick 6 & Tutt for pick 3 to get Wright. Good move if we can get it done IMO

If Melbourne do that, they're a joke. I mean good for us, but they can take him the PSD for free.

boydogs
02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
If Melbourne do that, they're a joke. I mean good for us, but they can take him the PSD for free.

They may want Jarrod Pickett or another mid if Toumpas isn't coming along, instead of a KPP. Every chance Lever, McCartin, & Wright will go 3, 4 & 5. The swap could be everything to us but nothing to them

Dancin' Douggy
02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Can we gouge out Toumpas and pick 3, for pick 5 and Garlett? Tutt to blues for Garlett?

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Can we gouge out Toumpas and pick 3, for pick 5 and Garlett? Tutt to blues for Garlett?

Lol, what?

FrediKanoute
02-10-2014, 08:48 PM

I think Reid has considerably more currency than Jones. Being in-out in a Premiership team vs a guy who can't get a game in a struggling team says a lot. That said I can see a straight swap occurring.

FrediKanoute
02-10-2014, 08:55 PM

The Dees would be nuts to take that........I mean crazy nuts

LostDoggy
02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
That'd be like spending the night with Sophia Vergara, the Dees getting Joan Rivers and us throwing in the Vaseline because we feel bad.

F'scary
02-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Durdin should still be available for pick 5 - I thought he looks like a prospect from his highlights package.

GVGjr
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Kane Lucas could be part of a Jones trade to Carlton. I think we could do better

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Why on earth would we give up fringe players to get more fringe players??
Lucas is very ordinary

Bulldog Revolution
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Kane Lucas could be part of a Jones trade to Carlton. I think we could do better

Just not the type of player we need - would be a disappointing outcome

soupman
02-10-2014, 09:47 PM

Basically a slower version of Tutt. Do not want.

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Carlton would delist Lucas anyway!!
Please don't bring in fringe players . Please!!!

jeemak
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
They may want Jarrod Pickett or another mid if Toumpas isn't coming along, instead of a KPP. Every chance Lever, McCartin, & Wright will go 3, 4 & 5. The swap could be everything to us but nothing to them

The key to negotiating in a lot of ways. It's not about winning the deal per se.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Nearly 1,500 posts of nothing. :) Can we re-name it the Seinfeld thread?

If I wish upon a star tonight when I log into tomorrow there will be something worth my emotional investment of the past couple of weeks.

Go_Dogs
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Apparently if we let Carlton take Z Cordy they'll swap their first round for our second and Jones.

Sorry BT. ;) all the talk of emotional investment got to me.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Apparently if we let Carlton take Z Cordy they'll swap their first round for our second and Jones.

Ohhh. Weren't you ever told not take The Lord's name in vein? It's never funny apparently... :)

Another crack like that and we (In Zaine in the Brian) will charge you double for bandwagon membership. :)

Edit: we'd be so ripped off by that.

Twodogs
02-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Ohhhh. You cheeky thing.

Hehe. That's pretty funny.

ratsmac
03-10-2014, 12:52 AM
The HS reporting that Carlton get Jones for pick 43 and Tutt for pick 62

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 01:43 AM

If jones has done a deal we should be looking to Carlton to give us a pick in the 30's .
I think that's unders to be honest

Dry Rot
03-10-2014, 01:55 AM
If jones has done a deal we should be looking to Carlton to give us a pick in the 30's .
I think that's unders to be honest

And if they don't, threaten to send Jones to the PSD and the bosom of St Kilda.

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 02:30 AM
In fairness we haven't heard what J McCartney thinks on that proposal, but my initial thought is unders.
Pick in the 30's is fair

G-Mo77
03-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Gah, may as well hold out and try and convince him to stay. Worthless pick for 5 years of work on a KPF.

chef
03-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Sounds about right.

The extra third round pick will be handy if thats what Cordy's going to cost.

Still some decent players to be found in the third round.

1eyedog
03-10-2014, 07:20 AM
It may be slightly unders but If Crameri was worth mid-20s surely Jones is worth high-30s.

chef
03-10-2014, 08:22 AM
It may be slightly unders but If Crameri was worth mid-20s surely Jones is worth high-30s.

Yep. If Jones had the same career at Carlton and we were offering a second rounder for him we would be going bananas about it.

Mantis
03-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Gah, may as well hold out and try and convince him to stay. Worthless pick for 5 years of work on a KPF.

I think it's past that... I know that players have done a 180 when a trade hasn't eventuated, but I think Liam is pretty set on needing a fresh start, especially if the current coach stays in power.

Agree that a pick in the 40's is a poor return on our investment.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Both for pick 26 thanks, otherwise go to the PSD. Pick 60-odd is worthless.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Yep. If Jones had the same career at Carlton and we were offering a second rounder for him we would be going bananas about it.

In a nutshell. Whether or not we have put 5 years into him, Liam has showed his value as no more than a third rounder.

1eyedog
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM

The Mitch Honeychurch pick. I know he was a steal there and was probably overlooked because of his height.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 09:20 AM
The Mitch Honeychurch pick. I know he was a steal there and was probably overlooked because of his height.

Yep that's right 1E, but we'd have to think that the focus is on real top end talent. As it stands we've already got P61 down there. Jong needs an upgrade pick, possibly Redpath. Ultimately most of our live picks will be in the 25-40 odd range after this trade period. Another mid, late 20's would be nice for Jones and Tutt combined.

soupman
03-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Not much of a threat with Tutt, and only a minor one with Jones. I don't think we have that much leverage tbh.

chef
03-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Pick 26 for Tutt and Jones, Carlton would laugh at us.

soupman
03-10-2014, 10:25 AM
How about something like:

Bulldogs give up: Pick 25, pick 26 (Higgins), Jones and Tutt, pick 61
Carlton give up: Pick 27
Sydney give up: Reid, Membrey, pick 36, pick 55

Bulldogs get: Reid, Membrey, pick 36, pick 55
Carlton get: Jones, Tutt, pick 61
Sydney get: Pick 25, 26, 27

Pretty confusing, but basically:
Carlton give up slightly more than what they would like for Jones and Tutt, but get a pretty average pick thrown in later (could get 55 instead if that helps). Hampson went for 28 last year so i don't think its too far off value, especially if they don't secure jaksch.

Sydney get rid of Reid's contract, Membrey gets an opportunity and since they are getting three second rounders (and they are a club which usually drafts only 3-4 players) they donate the rest of their picks that they won't use to sweeten the trade.

Bulldogs get Reid and Membrey, and end up with picks 5, 36, 42 (Cordy), 55 and 79.

Alternatively we could potentially get just Reid with the following:

Bulldogs give up: pick 26 (Higgins), Jones and Tutt, pick 61
Sydney give up: Reid, pick 55

Sydney get: pick 26, pick 27
Bulldogs get: Reid, pick 55

Carlton's deal is the same.
Sydney get rid of Reid's contract and a pick they won't use for two pretty good second rounders. We could maybe be able to steal pick 36 but that'd be pushing it; would have to wait to the end of the trade period so Sydney are sure they won't be trading it elsewhere
Bulldogs get Reid and end up with picks 5, 25, 42 (Cordy), 55, 79. In this case 25 allows us to pick before Sydney and not after if it was rearranged differently.

I would probably prefer the first option, as the only real difference is Membrey comes for a 11 pick downgrade, meaning we get a slightly worse player at 36 but membrey joins the club instead of whoever we would get with our last live pick which you would imagine would be a pretty marginal prospect at pick 79/97.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Pick 26 for Tutt and Jones, Carlton would laugh at us.

If they laugh then that's fine. The fact they're after these two, with their known shortfalls, is comical in itself.

bornadog
03-10-2014, 11:00 AM
If they laugh then that's fine. The fact they're after these two, with their known shortfalls, is comical in itself.

Yes they rate them higher than we do.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
How about something like:

Bulldogs give up: Pick 25, pick 26 (Higgins), Jones and Tutt, pick 61
Sydney give up: Reid, Membrey, pick 36, pick 55

Bulldogs get: Reid, Membrey, pick 36, pick 55
Sydney get: Pick 25, 26, 27

Pretty confusing, but basically:
Carlton give up slightly more than what they would like for Jones and Tutt, but get a pretty average pick thrown in later (could get 55 instead if that helps). Hampson went for 28 last year so i don't think its too far off value, especially if they don't secure jaksch.

Sydney get rid of Reid's contract, Membrey gets an opportunity and since they are getting three second rounders (and they are a club which usually drafts only 3-4 players) they donate the rest of their picks that they won't use to sweeten the trade.

Bulldogs get Reid and Membrey, and end up with picks 5, 36, 42 (Cordy), 55 and 79.

Alternatively we could potentially get just Reid with the following:

Bulldogs give up: pick 26 (Higgins), Jones and Tutt, pick 61
Sydney give up: Reid, pick 55

Sydney get: pick 26, pick 27
Bulldogs get: Reid, pick 55

Carlton's deal is the same.
Sydney get rid of Reid's contract and a pick they won't use for two pretty good second rounders. We could maybe be able to steal pick 36 but that'd be pushing it; would have to wait to the end of the trade period so Sydney are sure they won't be trading it elsewhere
Bulldogs get Reid and end up with picks 5, 25, 42 (Cordy), 55, 79. In this case 25 allows us to pick before Sydney and not after if it was rearranged differently.

I would probably prefer the first option, as the only real difference is Membrey comes for a 11 pick downgrade, meaning we get a slightly worse player at 36 but membrey joins the club instead of whoever we would get with our last live pick which you would imagine would be a pretty marginal prospect at pick 79/97.

What about if Zaine goes with our second rounder?

1eyedog
03-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Wow imagine convincing Carlton to give out pick 27 essentially for Jones - coup of a lifetime!

As Chef said can't see it happening.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Wow imagine convincing Carlton to give out pick 27 essentially for Jones - coup of a lifetime!

Doubt it's the coup of a lifetime. Contrast it this way - with all the development we've put into these two, we're essentially getting back 50% of the draft picks we used on them (both around the same 2nd round pick originally).

Also, if the deal faulters due to Carlton not wanting to budge on say 40 odd and 60 odd, then what does that say to the two players. "We REALLY want you guys, but geez, we don't think you're worth picks any higher than 40 and 60"?

bulldogsman
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I can't see Carlton giving up pick 27, they need that pick for Jaksch. I think the best we can hope for is their 3rd rounder and the Waite compo pick which they think will also be a 3rd rounder (that's for both Tutt and Jones). Then take one of those 3rd rounders and trade in Membrey.

1eyedog
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Doubt it's the coup of a lifetime. Contrast it this way - with all the development we've put into these two, we're essentially getting back 50% of the draft picks we used on them (both around the same 2nd round pick originally).

Also, if the deal faulters due to Carlton not wanting to budge on say 40 odd and 60 odd, then what does that say to the two players. "We REALLY want you guys, but geez, we don't think you're worth picks any higher than 40 and 60"?

I think you need to look at the way it is regardless of the development we have put into either player or where they were selected in the draft. Clearly they have not lived up to expectations and really are not in our senior team. Both have so many short falls in their game that their future use to us is very speculative. Pick 40 odd and pick 60 odd sound about right to me and while we have lost out on the return of both players if we were able to land pick 27 given what we know about them it would be a great result.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Reading some of the crap on BF. A suggestion was made of McCrae for Melbournes pick 2 and 3 ( if thats what they moan about enough for Frawley compo). A reply was made :

Farktherest said: ↑
Of course youd do Macrae for picks 2 and 3....wtf youd be raping Melbourne. Macrae for pick 2 alone is a stretch

You have to laugh at the stupidity of some people.

jeemak
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I'd definitely consider 2&3 for Macrae.

bornadog
03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Reading some of the crap on BF. A suggestion was made of McCrae for Melbournes pick 2 and 3 ( if thats what they moan about enough for Frawley compo). A reply was made :

Farktherest said: ↑
Of course youd do Macrae for picks 2 and 3....wtf youd be raping Melbourne. Macrae for pick 2 alone is a stretch

You have to laugh at the stupidity of some people.

Best not to read BF ;)

bornadog
03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Geelong and Melbourne have reportedly agreed to Pick 33 in exchange for Mitch Clark, Melbourne will then on trade Pick 33 to Collingwood for Heritier Lumumba.
- Jon Ralph

Dancin' Douggy
03-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Lol, what?

Sorry M.R.M please forgive me this piece of sheer idiocy. It was a half formed idea before I 'sent it to print'.
Clearly this scenario will never work.

But there's 2 points here I'm pushing.

1. Carlton clearly don't have the draft picks appropriate for a trade with Jones, so we have to think laterally and get another club involved. Garlett kicked 43 goals 2 years ago and has blistering pace. He's surely worth something to someone, and could become part of a deal somehow. (maybe even WE take him, he's certainly an upgrade on Tutt?)

2. If Toumpas WAS available, how interested in him would we be?
And would we have taken him in the draft last year if he was available over Stringer or Macrae?

bornadog
03-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Sorry M.R.M please forgive me this piece of sheer idiocy. It was a half formed idea before I 'sent it to print'.
Clearly this scenario will never work.

But there's 2 points here I'm pushing.

1. Carlton clearly don't have the draft picks appropriate for a trade with Jones, so we have to think laterally and get another club involved. Garlett kicked 43 goals 2 years ago and has blistering pace. He's surely worth something to someone, and could become part of a deal somehow. (maybe even WE take him, he's certainly an upgrade on Tutt?)

2. If Toumpas WAS available, how interested in him would we be?
And would we have taken him in the draft last year if he was available over Stringer or Macrae?

Don't like this rumour:

Out of contract Blue, Kane Lucas is on the trade table as the Blues prepare for a big trade period.

Trade Radio understands that Lucas may form part of a trade to the Western Bulldogs as part of the Blues securing Bulldogs pair Liam Jones and Jason Tutt.

kruder
03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Don't like this rumour:

Agree! Not another player who is a bad kick and bad decision maker!

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
I would vomit if we picked up Kane Lucas. He's a woeful player with average kicking skill and lack of tenancity in his game. He just wouldn't fit with our philosophy of draftees and coaching mentality.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I have faith in the clubs trading/drafting policy, and I don't think they would even consider Kane Lucas. Not what we need.

Ghost Dog
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Geelong and Melbourne have reportedly agreed to Pick 33 in exchange for Mitch Clark, Melbourne will then on trade Pick 33 to Collingwood for Heritier Lumumba.
- Jon Ralph

Melbourne - risky choice. Pick 33 for Lumumba is really not that smart.

Greystache
03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Why would we possibly want Lucas? We may as well have kept Howard, neither can kick, neither is quick, neither are competitive, and both would play primarily VFL. Makes no sense.

G-Mo77
03-10-2014, 01:36 PM

But why should we just jump at it because that's all they have. They're desperate to get more pieces to land Jaksch so why help them out. I'm tired of other clubs using us as their doormat it's a bout time we showed some teeth in the trade period. A pick in the 40'2 is not a good return for Jones, pick 27 is too high. Tell them to get something in the middle or tough titties.

I'll be seething if we jump at the first offer....again!

bornadog
03-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Melbourne asking for Dahl as part of pick upgrade, but told no way.

chef
03-10-2014, 02:04 PM
But why should we just jump at it because that's all they have. They're desperate to get more pieces to land Jaksch so why help them out. I'm tired of other clubs using us as their doormat it's a bout time we showed some teeth in the trade period. A pick in the 40'2 is not a good return for Jones, pick 27 is too high. Tell them to get something in the middle or tough titties.

I'll be seething if we jump at the first offer....again!

I guess if they are the only team interested or are happy to put a price on his head that makes them that way he could end up walking for nothing in the PSD. I'm happy for us to be a bit negotiable as one of the problems with trade week is teams being bullish and difficult to deal.

Just out of curiosity when have he just jumped at the first offer or been bent over lately?

G-Mo77
03-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Just out of curiosity when have he just jumped at the first offer or been bent over lately?

I'll re-open that old can of worms again. Brian Lake to the Hawks. We got scared into thinking this was all we were going to get. We had Lake contracted for another year and Hawthorn were desperate for a big down back. Why we just caved in like that is beyond me. No matter how anyone paints this post or pre trade IMO this was just a piss weak trade from a club with no back bone. My scars haven't healed. :)

Mofra
03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
We held our nerve over Crameri for the whole trade period