PDA

View Full Version : The Rumour Mill

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Sedat
03-10-2014, 02:19 PM
We held our nerve over Crameri for the whole trade period
A welcome change of philosophy, which I hope continues this year and moving forward. The Lake trade effectively netted Hawthorn 2 flags in 2 years - we are a very generous bunch down at the kennel.

kruder
03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Melbourne asking for Dahl as part of pick upgrade, but told no way.

I find it hard to value going from pick 5 to 2 in the draft when we are talking about unproven talent. It seems like a needs grab from mine, rather than a huge difference in talent as it looks a very even bunch.

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 02:25 PM
That's all great for Hawthorn, but I just want our club and supporters to focus on making our list better.
O'Brien might not get much of a look in at Hawthorn, and to be honest if we'd stubbornly held our ground who knows what might have happened. We've only heard Carlton's side on the potential trade.

westdog54
03-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I would vomit if we picked up Kane Lucas. He's a woeful player with average kicking skill and lack of tenancity in his game. He just wouldn't fit with our philosophy of draftees and coaching mentality.

I wonder if another club may be looking at Lucas with a view to offering up something that Carlton can on trade to us.

Mofra
03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I wonder if another club may be looking at Lucas with a view to offering up something that Carlton can on trade to us.
That's how I read it, but I really can't see another club taking him on

westdog54
03-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Melbourne - risky choice. Pick 33 for Lumumba is really not that smart.

Agree. 2nd rounder for an ageing, undersized defender with questionable disposal and a hunger for of field attention. Collingwood would be grinning from ear to ear if that gets the trade done.

Axe Man
03-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Looks like we have an interest in a young Irish prospect:

McKenna has the luck of the Irish (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-01/luck-of-the-irish)

Don't know how keen we were but the Irish kid has chosen the Bombers. Seriously, who is advising him, surely a side playing out of Damascus would be more attractive than Essendon at the moment?:confused:

Essendon wins race to sign Gaelic football star (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/essendon-wins-race-to-sign-gaelic-football-star)

westdog54
03-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Don't know how keen we were but the Irish kid has chosen the Bombers. Seriously, who is advising him, surely a side playing out of Damascus would be more attractive than Essendon at the moment?:confused:

Essendon wins race to sign Gaelic football star (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/essendon-wins-race-to-sign-gaelic-football-star)

The way I see it he'll either have plenty of game time next year or have the gym pretty much to himself over summer.

EasternWest
03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Melbourne asking for Dahl as part of pick upgrade, but told no way.

Every player is tradeable if the price is right, but he's in the last four or five I'd consider.

As good as he is becoming, he's equally valuable to us in cult status alone.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
There's a bit of speculation about us going for Melbourne's pick 2. But should we be actually going for Brisbane's (Collingwood's) pick 4.

May be as simple as a swap of first and second round picks?

I can't see Melbourne getting pick 3 for Frawley now that he has gone to Hawthorn. So pick 4 we be enough to land one of McCartin or Wright!

The Doctor
03-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Dogs are into Greenwood according to the Age

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/collingwood-magpies/collingwood-bulldogs-push-for-levi-greenwood-20141003-10q5mh.html

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Dogs are into Greenwood according to the Age

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/collingwood-magpies/collingwood-bulldogs-push-for-levi-greenwood-20141003-10q5mh.html

The Pies are more likely to land him

Topdog
03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
That article also states Frawley will be on $600k a year for 5 years. That kind of contract will land pick 3 I think.

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 11:03 PM
That article also states Frawley will be on $600k a year for 5 years. That kind of contract will land pick 3 I think.

My guess is it will be mid first round compensation

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Just a rumor but we may have some interest in Daniel Merrett

G-Mo77
03-10-2014, 11:18 PM

I've been scared to mention this but I wouldn't be upset if we got him. He'll be 30 but his experience, size and strength will help our back half a lot.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 11:24 PM
My guess is it will be mid first round compensation

Interesting. I've heard this a few times now. Do you think they will invent a new band pick? as this is obviously not in the standard band picks set.

Could see some unhappy teams with late first round picks if this goes ahead.

Sedat
03-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Greenwood is a decent player but his type is about the last thing we need to bolster on our list. Also, if we were interested in him we should be getting him at his least value ie: 12 months ago, and not straight after a career best season.

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Interesting. I've heard this a few times now. Do you think they will invent a new band pick? as this is obviously not in the standard band picks set.

Could see some unhappy teams with late first round picks if this goes ahead.

The committee will review if he warrants pick 3 and the answer should be no. They will then look at the end of the first round and say that's a bit too late. They should then place him in the middle of the round.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM

Why would he leave to go to another struggling club? I can only think money, and I'd rather pay many other players serious cash before sauce. Thanks for the rumour though.

F'scary
03-10-2014, 11:37 PM
I've been scared to mention this but I wouldn't be upset if we got him. He'll be 30 but his experience, size and strength will help our back half a lot.

Sort of like a Bazza Hall of the last line of defence. Could be good for a few membership sales.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 11:40 PM
The committee will review if he warrants pick 3 and the answer should be no. They will then look at the end of the first round and say that's a bit too late. They should then place him in the middle of the round.

If this is the case, wouldn't the committee have reviewed Buddy Franklin at pick 19 and decided he warrants a higher selection?

Has to work both ways.

Sedat
03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Why would he leave to go to another struggling club? I can only think money, and I'd rather pay many other players serious cash before sauce. Thanks for the rumour though.
I would have hated such a trade halfway through this season but our key defensive stocks have so many question marks that any bolstering in this area cannot be a bad thing. Sauce would be better than any of our key defenders right now and probably for the next 2 years. Not the worst idea going around.

G-Mo77
03-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Sort of like a Bazza Hall of the last line of defence. Could be good for a few membership sales.

Doubt it would pump them up at all mate. :)

I could see some value in adding him though especially after Roughy struggled so much this season.

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 11:44 PM
If this is the case, wouldn't the committee have reviewed Buddy Franklin at pick 19 and decided he warrants a higher selection?

Has to work both ways.

It should have. I don't think it will be pick 3 and I don't think it will be at the end of the first round

F'scary
03-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Doubt it would pump them up at all mate. :)

I could see some value in adding him though especially after Roughy struggled so much this season.

Hasn't he earned plenty of weeks? Isn't there a Shtaker in his closet?

1eyedog
03-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Greenwood is a decent player but his type is about the last thing we need to bolster on our list. Also, if we were interested in him we should be getting him at his least value ie: 12 months ago, and not straight after a career best season.

It's because of the career best season that both us and the Pies are now into him. No one wanted an unfit, inconsistent down hill skier a year ago and rightfully so. He's completely turned his game around and would compliment our midfield perfectly if his form turnaround is legitimate.

GVGjr
03-10-2014, 11:57 PM
It's because of the career best season that both us and the Pies are now into him. No one wanted an unfit, inconsistent down hill skier a year ago and rightfully so. He's completely turned his game around and would compliment our midfield perfectly if his form turnaround is legitimate.

And his fitness. He's been very effective in the 4th quarters so isn't running out of steam

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
And his fitness. He's been very effective in the 4th quarters so isn't running out of steam

Yeah agree he was very good late against the Bombers in the Elimination Final. Actually he was good all game. I really like him. I wonder if we'll offer North's Higgins pick back to them...

GVGjr
04-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah agree he was very good late against the Bombers in the Elimination Final. Actually he was good all game. I really like him. I wonder if we'll offer North's Higgins pick back to them...

I think they will try their best to keep him but that would give them two picks in the 2nd round.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2014, 12:13 AM
I would have hated such a trade halfway through this season but our key defensive stocks have so many question marks that any bolstering in this area cannot be a bad thing. Sauce would be better than any of our key defenders right now and probably for the next 2 years. Not the worst idea going around.

If it cost nothing in terms of decent picks, and the contract is more front loaded to allow for kids needing more coin, then you're probably right in the 'not the worst idea'. I think Bate & Gumbleton are still the benchmark or litmus test for 'worst idea going around'.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 12:22 AM

Would not be at all surprised if we were after him to play him at FF for 2 years while Wright matures ;)

bornadog
04-10-2014, 12:29 AM

No thank you, too old

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 12:30 AM
I'd like to get Merret for a couple of years to add some steel to our structure. He can go forward very occasionally although he dd spend a bit of time in attack this year didnt he? But we'd mainly look at providing some relief for Morriis allowing him to play on guys more his size.

For a small outlay I'd be quite happy to have him.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 12:34 AM
I'd like to get Merret for a couple of years to add some steel to our structure. He can go forward very occasionally although he dd spend a bit of time in attack this year didnt he? But we'd mainly look at providing some relief for Morriis allowing him to play on guys more his size.

Yeah for the reasons you outline. Sauce is actually a bloody effective forward at times and when that doesn't work can go back or vice versa. Didn't he kick 8 or 9 one year back?

Bulldog4life
04-10-2014, 12:23 PM
I am all for Merrett for a couple of years. Who knows he might even go on for anther 4 or 5. I have always liked his game and he can play both ends effectively.

The Underdog
04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I am all for Merrett for a couple of years. Who knows he might even go on for anther 4 or 5. I have always liked his game and he can play both ends effectively.

Merrett makes some sense on one hand and not much on another, but from the having a big angry strong KPP on the field sense, it makes me very excited. I'd be happy to pick him just because he's a big point of difference from everything we currently have.

Bulldog4life
04-10-2014, 12:40 PM

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-merrett-a-wanted-man-with-three-clubs-reportedly-chasing-the-brisbane-lions-defender/story-fnia3y5g-1227079465620?nk=75d75d5a2427406dd5ef6de34bb3f46a

THREE clubs have contacted Brisbane about trading for veteran defender Daniel Merrett.

The Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Adelaide have signalled their interest in Merrett who is exploring his options despite having two years to run on his contract at the Gabba.

Gold Coast could also join the queue for Merrett.

No clubs had approached Brisbane about Merrett earlier in the week but speculation that he was looking for a change sparked a late rush of inquiries

Maddog37
04-10-2014, 01:05 PM
If he has two years to run on his contract you would think he would be on fair dollar. Would the Bears be keen to pay a little of it to get him off the books?

chef
04-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Bit of talk the Lions are after Robinson.

So maybe a three-way of Jones to Blues, Merett to us and Mitch to Lions?

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Looks good to me but that usually means it's heavily weighted in our favour. ;)

Throughandthrough
04-10-2014, 01:56 PM

I think we have to get him because of the Ranga Equalisation Policy, as a replacement for Tom Young

G-Mo77
04-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Looks good to me but that usually means it's heavily weighted in our favour. ;)

It'd be Merrett for Jones if that scenario did happen so that's not heavily in our favour. :)

I'm reluctant to part with Jones for a pick in the 40's, I'd prefer one in the early 30's but Merrett would be a decent consolation.

Templeton31
04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Adam White on Grandstand ABC Radio just said he expected one of Minson, Griffen or Cooney to be gone from Bulldogs by the end of trade period. I'd be very surprised if Griffen was gone. And not happy about it either.

G-Mo77
04-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Matt White (I think that was his name) on Grandstand ABC Radio just said he expected one of Minson, Griffen or Cooney to be gone from Bulldogs by the end of trade period. I'd be very surprised if Griffen was gone. And not happy about it either.

You'd probably say Minson out of the 3 but I'd have no problems moving Cooney on. Griffen? I'd breathe fire!

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Adam White on Grandstand ABC Radio just said he expected one of Minson, Griffen or Cooney to be gone from Bulldogs by the end of trade period. I'd be very surprised if Griffen was gone. And not happy about it either.

I wonder why it's one of those players. They are vastly different in their on field and off field roles. Is it a money thing? Really the only thing they have in common is they are on large contracts.

Or do they think they have too many players in that age range?

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow wee! Think Minson or Cooney could go, but I'd be staggered by Griffen.

bornadog
04-10-2014, 02:47 PM

I would be surprised if any of them were gone

bulldogtragic
04-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Griffen wanting out, and for Dangerfield wanting in would be the only way our captain walks. Silly season.

Hot_Doggies
04-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Merrett and pick five to Melbourne

Jones and Tutt to Blues

Robinson to the Lions

Pick 2 to the Dogs.

Maybe a extra pick here and there as a sweetener

GVGjr
04-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Not that I think there is any basis to what Adam White has said but if you were to get trade Griffen you might was well trade the other two. If you are over the age of 26 and you don't want to be at the club we should consider good offers for them.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 03:00 PM
I wonder why it's one of those players. They are vastly different in their on field and off field roles. Is it a money thing? Really the only thing they have in common is they are on large contracts.

Last sentence could be right

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Merrett and pick five to Melbourne

Jones and Tutt to Blues

Robinson to the Lions

Pick 3 to the Dogs.

Maybe a extra pick here and there as a sweetener
Not sure Bris Vegas would like this deal

bornadog
04-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Exactly, they lose Merrett, gain Robinson and two spots in draft - no way.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Very strange that Griffen's name has been raised. I would have thought he would be the one player we have locked away. If the three of them are open to discussions elsewhere I think we need to start looking at the way Macca is going about it. This speculation is no good for luring players to our club. It potentially reeks of disunity and quite frankly that we have become a bit of a rabble behind closed doors. I'm not saying this is the way it is internally or the way it is perceived externally, but Jones, Higgins, Cooney, Minson and Tutt walking is one thing but Griffen goes to another dimension entirely. As BT suggests above the only way this could happen is a swap for Dangerfield because Griffen wants to go home. Adelaide have wanted Griffen badly for a long time.

Hot_Doggies
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Pick 2 I meant . Bris lose Merrett and gain Robinson

Before I Die
04-10-2014, 03:22 PM

They are probably being named as they are seen as our only players with serious trade currency who are not likely to be in the vanguard of our next premiership push. Hence they could be parcelled with an early draft pick to land a big fish or very early pick.

I don't agree with the premise, just putting forward a possible (flawed) logic behind the suggestion.

KT31
04-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Don't imagine Cooney or Griff will be on the table and only a slight chance Will is.
Cooney is most likely in his last season so I cannot see any suitors, could not see us entertaining any offers on Griff , leaving Big Will as a viable option.
If the club traded Griff I imagine we would have a mini riot on our hands.

bornadog
04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Don't imagine Cooney or Griff will be on the table and only a slight chance Will is.
Cooney is most likely in his last season so I cannot see any suitors, could not see us entertaining any offers on Griff , leaving Big Will as a viable option.

If we traded Griff, that would be it for me.

KT31
04-10-2014, 03:26 PM

I imagine you would not be on your own, my oldest Pup would throw in the membership towel also.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Got no issue with Trading Minson or Cooney, but Griffen I think won't happen.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 03:40 PM

What if he wants to go home?

azabob
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
If our captain and best player is traded, it can only be for pick one or pick two in return.

Even then, I am not sure if I am comfortable in trading Griffen.

azabob
04-10-2014, 03:45 PM
What if he wants to go home?

If he is the one asking to be traded I think it is a different conversation all together.

The way the statement was made it suggested that the club would be deciding trade one of the three.

GVGjr
04-10-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't think I can put anyone above the club. I might not be happy about it but it wouldn't be it for me.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 03:59 PM
If he is the one asking to be traded I think it is a different conversation all together.

The way the statement was made it suggested that the club would be deciding trade one of the three.

How do you know said player didn't approach the club about being traded and the club is thinking gee we need to trade x player out? I would be incredibly surprised if anyone outside the inner circle (read journalists) know whether this has happened or not and it sounds to me like a journo getting itchy feet pre-trade period and elaborating - probably erroneously - on the so-called rift between the senior players and Macca a few weeks ago.

These sorts of comments sure do get punters onto their websites to assist with getting sponsor ads front and centre to a lot of people.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't think I can put anyone above the club. I might not be happy about it but it wouldn't be it for me.

Same here. Club is ahead of the individual for me.

Topdog
04-10-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd be fine with Griff going if he was happy with it and it improved our chances at the ultimate success in years to come.

Templeton31
04-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Keep in mind just one broadcasters throw away line. I reckon no way Griffen on table or gonna happen. Capt of the club, BMac loves him etc so I reckon thats just wrong from White.

However is it possible that the possible trade is a Lake style trade of Cooney or Big Will (not both!) and our pick 25 to a top 4 or 5 club (Swans, Cats, Dockers, Norf or Hawks) for their first round pick. Say, for arguments sake, its Cats who currently have pick 13. We would then have pick 13 and 5 to trade to either saints for pick 1 or dees for pick 2.

Summary:
Dogs: Big Will & Pick 25 to Cats
Cats: Pick 13 to Dogs

Then:
Dogs: Pick 13 & 5 to Dees
Dees: Pick 2 to Dogs

As I said substitute different top 4 or 5 team for Cats if you like and Cooney for Big Will. I actually think more likely we would give away Coons than Big Will. I'm not sure Coons buys into the BMac way of doing things as much as other players do.

Hotdog60
04-10-2014, 04:28 PM
We can cover Cooney, harder to cover Griff and Minson had a poor season from the previous one and if he gets a good preseason in could get back to last years form.

So I suppose I could live with Cooney and struggle with the rest. But in saying that I think all will remain at the club.

SonofScray
04-10-2014, 04:30 PM
If our captain and best player is traded, it can only be for pick one or pick two in return.

Even then, I am not sure if I am comfortable in trading Griffen.

We are going to have to get used to this stuff, it is the way the game is headed. Look at US sports as an example. Not entirely the same, but ultimately, no one is off the table. Everything has a price.

azabob
04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
How do you know said player didn't approach the club about being traded and the club is thinking gee we need to trade x player out? I would be incredibly surprised if anyone outside the inner circle (read journalists) know whether this has happened or not and it sounds to me like a journo getting itchy feet pre-trade period and elaborating - probably erroneously - on the so-called rift between the senior players and Macca a few weeks ago.

These sorts of comments sure do get punters onto their websites to assist with getting sponsor ads front and centre to a lot of people.

You are taking everything out of the context it was raised in.

Posters were responding to a statement made by a jurno, which most took to be the club is instigating the trade, not the player.

As I said if it is player driven, it is a totally different conversation and and I would have a different view point.

Oh yeah and the abc doesn't have sponser ads ;) - But I do get your point about "click bait".

bornadog
04-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Sometimes there is only so much one can take following the club as long as I have.

Anyway, my anger would be at the Club and not one person. The coach, the list manager the CEO etc as it would be the most stupid act they could do.

It won't happen, so I am not worried. :)

bornadog
04-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Got no issue with Trading Minson or Cooney, but Griffen I think won't happen.

Are you happy to bring in Merrett?

Before I Die
04-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Sometimes there is only so much one can take following the club as long as I have.

Anyway, my anger would be at the Club and not one person. The coach, the list manager the CEO etc as it would be the most stupid act they could do.

It won't happen, so I am not worried.:)

I don't think it will happen and I don't want it to happen, but it would be less of a headline than Buddy going to Sydney or Ablett going to Gold Coast. Surely any trade is measured by what or who we get in return and I am sure that there are players out there that you would trade Griff for, assuming he wanted to go.

mighty_west
04-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't think it will happen and I don't want it to happen, but it would be less of a headline than Buddy going to Sydney or Ablett going to Gold Coast. Surely any trade is measured by what or who we get in return and I am sure that there are players out there that you would trade Griff for, assuming he wanted to go.

Hawks and Cats proved that both their main superstar leaving had no effect on them continuing to be successful with both sides winning the flag the following season due to being courageous and keeping their structures in place, the common theme I've read over social media and forums is that we'd prefer to keep our favourite players over being ruthless and finding the right mix to really give the Premiership a shake.

bornadog
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Hawks and Cats proved that both their main superstar leaving had no effect on them continuing to be successful with both sides winning the flag the following season due to being courageous and keeping their structures in place, the common theme I've read over social media and forums is that we'd prefer to keep our favourite players over being ruthless and finding the right mix to really give the Premiership a shake.

Different story, they have been up for along time, but when a bottom team loses A graders, to me its a different kettle of fish.

Bulldog4life
04-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I would hate to lose Griff. Big Will 50/50. Coons I would accept.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Minson and Cooney aren't A graders.
Highly unlikely either will get there again.
Griffen's a bit younger and has injuries that hurt him last season.

kruder
04-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I couldn't care less that list Cloggers or a player like Coons want to leave the club but the Captain? If he is pissed, is it due to the fact the club kept playing him with a back injury? Or Macca was harsh in his assessment of his performance when he clearly thinks the back was a huge hidderance? I thought he was very poor this year but he has enough credits in the bank to back him in and improve next year.

The first 6 weeks next year is going to be huge for the coach. I like him and the hard line he took at the back end of last year. However, if the results don't improve the jungle drums will be deafening...

Dry Rot
04-10-2014, 06:24 PM
However is it possible that the possible trade is a Lake style trade of Cooney or Big Will (not both!) and our pick 25 to a top 4 or 5 club (Swans, Cats, Dockers, Norf or Hawks) for their first round pick. Say, for arguments sake, its Cats who currently have pick 13. We would then have pick 13 and 5 to trade to either saints for pick 1 or dees for pick 2.

Summary:
Dogs: Big Will & Pick 25 to Cats
Cats: Pick 13 to Dogs

Then:
Dogs: Pick 13 & 5 to Dees
Dees: Pick 2 to Dogs

Say that happened, and Cooney wanted to join Lake at the Hawks. Realistically, we wouldn't get much back.

If Minson went, would we have any interest in either of the young Hawks ruck men starved of chances, Lowden or Grimley?

Dry Rot
04-10-2014, 06:29 PM
I'd be fine with Griff going if he was happy with it and it improved our chances at the ultimate success in years to come.

Say Griff did want out to the Crows? What would be a realistic trade?

Crows will have pick # 10.

Would it be # 10 + their second rounder? Or would we aim for one of their big men (not Walker or Pods) + a pick?

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Say that happened, and Cooney wanted to join Lake at the Hawks. Realistically, we wouldn't get much back.

If Minson went, would we have any interest in either of the young Hawks ruck men starved of chances, Lowden or Grimley?

If rather have the picks and perhaps on trade
No fringe players

bulldogtragic
04-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Would it be # 10 + their second rounder? Or would we aim for one of their big men (not Walker or Pods) + a pick?

Dangerfield or Talia. Griffen is a proven star. Got to give good to get good.

Dry Rot
04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Dangerfield or Talia. Griffen is a proven star. Got to give good to get good.

Haven't seen much of the Crows, but isn't one of their big men (Lynch or Jenkins?) quite good?

Doubt we'd get Dangerfield, but Talia would be great.

Doc26
04-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Talk of Griffen being traded flies in the face of all I've heard from both Ryan and Macca in recent times. It just seems a fanciful suggestion given the regard Ryan has expressed for the Club previously, his contentment in Melbourne, and the respect that Brendan and everyone else at the Club holds Ryan in. We need him for his courage, his inside and clean outside work and simply to show the kids how it's done.

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Start with the Judd trade and take into account that Griff is still contracted. Maybe take the second rounder out because Griff ain't Judd but he's not far off.

So two early first rounders or equivilant.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Haven't seen much of the Crows, but isn't one of their big men (Lynch or Jenkins?) quite good?

Talia or Dangerfield if this ever happened. Which they wouldn't want... But... If Dangerfield goes anywhere, big if, then that's where Adelaide would want Griffen as a replacement if they think they're closer to finals than not. If Melbourne got Dangerfield with a stupid cash offer, then it might be pick 2 and 10 (mid first round comp for Frawley) to Adelaide. Adelaide may on trade that for a ready made star. Pick 2 and 10 for Griffen? That's a tougher deal to say no to, if Griffen wanted out.

Ie, McCartin, Wright, Goddard, Cordy, pick 26 and something for Jones & Tutt... We could have a elite draftee spine for the first time ever.

Surely moot as how can our captain walk.

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 07:10 PM

Jenkins is really good . 6' 6", really quick, long straight shot for goal, good mark.

EasternWest
04-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Jenkins is really good . 6' 6", really quick, long straight shot for goal, good mark.

I would love Jenkins. I think he'll explode next year. At times this year he looked like a man playing the game against boys.

I have tried in recent years to remove emotional attachment from our players, but I'd be shattered to lose Griffen.

Dry Rot
04-10-2014, 08:07 PM
I would love Jenkins. I think he'll explode next year. At times this year he looked like a man playing the game against boys.

I have tried in recent years to remove emotional attachment from our players, but I'd be shattered to lose Griffen.

If we could get Jenkins, would that reduce the shatter?

Wright and Jenkins would be handy up forward.

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 08:19 PM

They won't release Jenkins. They've lost too many big men in recent times (Bock, Davis, Tippett).

EasternWest
04-10-2014, 08:52 PM

I honestly don't think I can answer that.

ratsmac
05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
It is written in the herald sun that we are willing to use our first pick on Darcy Moore which will force Collingwood to use their first pick 8 if they think he is worth pick 8. I haven't seen Darcy play but from what I have heard he is going to be a gun. If Collingwood pass we will have Darcy Moore at the dogs! Is this a good outcome considering the other talls Wright, McCartin and Co could be possibilities?

1eyedog
05-10-2014, 12:38 PM
It is written in the herald sun that we are willing to use our first pick on Darcy Moore which will force Collingwood to use their first pick 8 if they think he is worth pick 8. I haven't seen Darcy play but from what I have heard he is going to be a gun. If Collingwood pass we will have Darcy Moore at the dogs! Is this a good outcome considering the other talls Wright, McCartin and Co could be possibilities?

Long-term or even medium-term how would Darcy feel about that? I can see a Nathan Buckley - like transition in a few years with him back to Collingwood so what's the point?

The Underdog
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Long-term or even medium-term how would Darcy feel about that? I can see a Nathan Buckley - like transition in a few years with him back to Collingwood so what's the point?

Because there's no way the Pies don't pick him at 8, so we're forcing them to do that. Sure we'd love to have him, but it won't happen.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Because there's no way the Pies don't pick him at 8, so we're forcing them to do that. Sure we'd love to have him, but it won't happen.

That's a win-win. The point of the rule is to get some advantage, but not ridiculous. If Moore was pick 5 and Collingwood wanted a trade for him that'd have to give a bit to upgrade those spots. They don't so they've won well, and make sure Collingwood don't get a bigger advantage, win for everyone else. A bit of common sense with the rule now.

anfo27
05-10-2014, 01:12 PM

I'd be calling their bluff no doubt about it. If they don't take him then we get a quick 199cm KPD who can go forward, that's a win for me. We also don't need to upgrade our pick 5/6 and keep a good player which would be the sweetner.

LostDoggy
05-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Pick 10 & Brad Couch. Griff and 2nd rounder.

I don't want him to go though.

The Underdog
05-10-2014, 01:39 PM
That's a win-win. The point of the rule is to get some advantage, but not ridiculous. If Moore was pick 5 and Collingwood wanted a trade for him that'd have to give a bit to upgrade those spots. They don't so they've won well, and make sure Collingwood don't get a bigger advantage, win for everyone else. A bit of common sense with the rule now.

Agree. I'm a lot happier with the current construction of the rule than the way it used to be. You pay market price for kids based on how they're viewed. Although I would like to see a club call the bluff of a bidding team one time. That's probably the only downfall of it at the moment.

Throughandthrough
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM

I have been wondering for a few months if we would do this. Nothing to lose, collingwood will take him, if by some fluke they don't we get a gun first rounder big man

The Underdog
05-10-2014, 01:52 PM
I have been wondering for a few months if we would do this. Nothing to lose, collingwood will take him, if by some fluke they don't we get a gun first rounder big man

Exactly, the best case scenario is we get the key position player we need without moving up in the draft, worst case is we make Collingwood use their first rounder.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Darcy sounds like one of the elite forward prospects so sounds a reasonable target for us

And the nice thing is that they can't force us into a second with zaine because their pick is after ours

Remi Moses
05-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Moore's right up there with the others on rankings.
Notice knightmare on BF has him as even more highly touted .
I think ourselves or Carlton will bid, and as others have said it's a no brainier with the pies likely to get 4.

jeemak
05-10-2014, 03:21 PM
If we were to land him I can't see him dumping us after his first few years to play for the Pies - the team that didn't think he was worth pick 8.

Club can't lose in bidding for him, it's a good move.

bornadog
05-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Collingwood have declined Brisbane's offer of pick four and Daniel Merrett.

Topdog
05-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Collingwood really are idiots to trade with.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 04:22 PM

I hope he walks to the PSD.

bornadog
05-10-2014, 04:24 PM

They are looking for a ready made player plus pick 4. Obviously they don't rate Merrett as that player

azabob
05-10-2014, 04:43 PM

I hope he walks to the PSD.

Why are they idiots? Pick four isn't enough for Beams.
He can't walk to the draft - he is contracted.

Topdog
05-10-2014, 04:55 PM

They are very consistent with over valuing their players. They have put a deadline of 1 week before the trade period finishes.

Pick 4 + a gun player is OTT.

azabob
05-10-2014, 04:57 PM
They are very consistent with over valuing their players. They have put a deadline of 1 week before the trade period finishes.

Pick 4 + a gun player is OTT.

Trade fortnight hasn't even started. Beams is in their top 3 players, about to enter his prime - surely they are entitled to want more than pick four? Merret doesn't suit their list profile age wise.

mjp
05-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Pick 4 would need a pretty big sweetener to get Beams.

Brisbane's issue is that with 5 players walking last year, they really don't have much else to offer. Gold Coast have a better chance of making a trade.

G-Mo77
05-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I think pick 4 is enough for Beams personally.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Would you believe I meant I hope he walks to venue where the PSD is being held, you know, as an observer?

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Pick 4 would need a pretty big sweetener to get Beams.

Brisbane's issue is that with 5 players walking last year, they really don't have much else to offer. Gold Coast have a better chance of making a trade.

This is a curious one. GCS have the goods to move, but the news say insufficient salary cap space. Would we go to GCS as good citizens and offer them cap relief by taking a good player off them? Thus allowing the Beams trade. Might be an angle to wedge in?

azabob
05-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Would you believe I meant I hope he walks to venue where the PSD is being held, you know, as an observer?

I find that hard to believe...

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 05:15 PM
I find that hard to believe...

Hard man to convince... :)

Webby
05-10-2014, 05:18 PM
On the Beames front, couldn't Brisbane simply trade their pick 4 to the 'Aints for the 'Aints pick 1 in the PSD and be guaranteed to take Beames??

Surely Brisbane hold all the cards and Collingwood will have to yield?! Or am I missing something?

azabob
05-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Hard man to convince... :)

You were meant to reply with

Would you believe I meant for him to video conference in...

azabob
05-10-2014, 05:21 PM
On the Beames front, couldn't Brisbane simply trade their pick 4 to the 'Aints for the 'Aints pick 1 in the PSD and be guaranteed to take Beames??

Surely Brisbane hold all the cards and Collingwood will have to yield?! Or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something. psd picks can't be traded and Beams is contracted!!

Bulldog4life
05-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Beams is still contracted to Collingwood.

westdog54
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
You were meant to reply with

Would you believe I meant for him to video conference in...

I would have gone with:

How about he'll check the results on the news?

kruder
05-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Are you serious? AA and premiership player vs an unproved kid? So you would be happy to let our Captain go for pick 5 and get a player like MCcartin who may never make it at AFL level?

Topdog
05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
pick 4 + Crisp is fair IMO. Wanting Hanley is just asking for the moon.

mighty_west
05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
The best I think the Pies will get for Beams is pick 4 (which will most likely become 5) plus a swap of Brisbane's 2nd round pick for Pies 4th rounder.

G-Mo77
05-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Are you serious? AA and premiership player vs an unproved kid? So you would be happy to let our Captain go for pick 5 and get a player like MCcartin who may never make it at AFL level?

Actually yeah if he didn't want to stay.

Who's to say Beams gets injured and never returns to this form while their draftee turns out to be the next Pendlebury? There is risk son both sides. Judd was worth a high first and a gun forward, Beams in no way shape or form is worth close to that.

bornadog
05-10-2014, 08:42 PM

I think Beams is an A grader as is worth more than just pick 4

Twodogs
05-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Put me in the Beams is worth pick four plus Something Pretty Bloody Good side of the tent.

Topdog
05-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Put me in the Beams is worth pick four plus Something Pretty Bloody Good side of the tent.

I don't think he is elite yet. He has had 1 great year to date. I certainly think he will be great but giving 4 + something pretty bloody means Brisbane give up one of their top 4 players plus pick 4. If thats the asking price Collingwood are going to have a very unhappy player who didnt even go to the Copeland Trophy this week on their hands.

G-Mo77
05-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I think Beams is an A grader as is worth more than just pick 4

I don't think he's elite yet. If he goes to the Lions and has a season like this then yeah I'd happily agree. He doesn't get the #1 tag at Collingwood and flies a little without a #1 tagger looking at him. FWIW he really struggled at times when he did. I watched Crossy towel him up and saw him struggle mid year with some extra defensive pressure.

Pick 4 and a 2nd rounder. Brisbane throw in a player of the caliber Collingwood want and it will be rape.

It's hard not to but sometimes we've got to stop drinking the Collingwood cool aid. Sure he is a good player, very good. Elite? Not yet.

Topdog
05-10-2014, 10:46 PM
It's hard not to but sometimes we've got to stop drinking the Collingwood cool aid. Sure he is a good player, very good. Elite? Not yet.

Thats what I was thinking too. How much of Beams is media hype and how much is performance?

Sedat
05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Some serious underrating of Beams on this thread. He is hands-down elite, and he's still young enough to have a further 8-10 years at the top of his game

Scorlibo
06-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Some serious underrating of Beams on this thread. He is hands-down elite, and he's still young enough to have a further 8-10 years at the top of his game

Absolutely - elite! He's averaged over 29 disposals since the end of 2011, and over one goal a game. He does it all.

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 05:23 AM

Where? Most have agreed. Myself and Topdog haven't. Should we all say he's elite?

When I knock off work I hope the topic isn't still focused on another overrated Collingwood dud. :)

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 05:41 AM
A few snippets from Emma Quayle at the Age this morning.

Levi Greenwood, North Melbourne
North says the situation remains "status quo", reporting no movement from either party over the weekend. The Roos have put a revised offer to Greenwood, both in terms of money and term, and are confident it will satisfy a player they rate as a "critical signing" and believe wants to be a part of the club's premiership run next year. Meanwhile, the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, and to a lesser extent Richmond, wait on his decision. He could make a call as early as Monday, but the Roos are not certain of that.

Daniel Merrett, Brisbane
Suddenly in demand after the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Adelaide all made inquiries late last week. Is understood to be exploring his options, despite having two years to run on his contract. Will be 30 next season, so if he was going to go, now would be the time.

and

A record 12 father-son and northern academy players will find homes at the 10am meeting, with the Bulldogs or Carlton set to bid their first pick for Collingwood nominee Darcy Moore. The Pies would then have to use pick 8 to secure Moore, the son of Peter.
The Bulldogs will hope defender Zaine Cordy gets through to the third round, though the Cats have shown some interest and may look at bidding their first-round selection, No. 13, for him.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/biggest-ever-fatherson-bidding-meeting-to-kickstart-afl-trade-period-20141005-10qlh0.html#ixzz3FIFuiaBa

She's usually spot on with her drafting news so expect to get Cordy with our 2nd round pick.

Go_Dogs
06-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks G-Mo.

Whilst it seems highly unlikely we would pass, I'd say getting Zaine for pick 13 would be paying overs (if Cats bid, we didn't match).

I guess we'll know in an hour or so, but 25 seems like it'll be it.

azabob
06-10-2014, 10:27 AM
I say call the cats bluff. There is talk that the cats will need their 2nd and 3rd round pick for Mitch Clark. It would be a brave move by Geelong to bid with their first pick and have potentially no live picks to round four.

Hot_Doggies
06-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I say call the cats bluff. There is talk that the cats will need their 2nd and 3rd round pick for Mitch Clark. It would be a brave move by Geelong to bid with their first pick and have potentially no live picks to round four.

They would be happy with Cordy at pick 13. I think it's a good sign that Geelong rate him.

jeemak
06-10-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm not even sure Bulldogtragic would rate Cordy as high as 13!

Then again..........

Throughandthrough
06-10-2014, 10:54 AM
I just feel sorry for Merrett. Has to choose between the Lions, Dogs, Crows or Dees, with only about 2 playing years left in his career. I'm surprised North Melbourne aren't all over him.

1eyedog
06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I just feel sorry for Merrett. Has to choose between the Lions, Dogs, Crows or Dees, with only about 2 playing years left in his career. I'm surprised North Melbourne aren't all over him.

They have Hanson, Grima, Thompson and to a lesser extent Firrito to cover off the back half and Black, Petrie, Brown and Waite up forward. I think they're pretty right for big men but I get the jibe ;)

GVGjr
06-10-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm not even sure Bulldogtragic would rate Cordy as high as 13!

Then again..........

Yes he would :)

Twodogs
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Yes he would :)

Yep. For a moment I thought he'd been appointed Geelong's new recruiting manager.

bornadog
06-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Derek Hine has confirmed that Collingwood have put an offer in front of Levi Greenwood. The Bulldogs consider themselves out of the running and Richmond have now pulled out of the race according to 1116 SEN.

KT31
06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Derek Hine has confirmed that Collingwood have put an offer in front of Levi Greenwood. The Bulldogs consider themselves out of the running and Richmond have now pulled out of the race according to 1116 SEN.
Be a good replacement for Beams.

bornadog
06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Sydney Swans forward Tim Membrey has officially requested a trade to St Kilda

stefoid
06-10-2014, 03:00 PM
This is like losing a game of musical chairs.

azabob
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM

I'm glad we lost that musical chair, if in fact we were ever playing.

Sedat
06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
If the 'prizes' are Jaksch and Membrey, not that fussed at all about losing. None of these guys have achieved half of what Liam Jones has achieved in his career to date, which itself is not a hell of a lot. Hell, Membrey has achieved far less than Stringer and we are already blessed to have him ;)

If Sam Reid is being targeted, whilst I'm not a massive fan, at least he is a proven performer at AFL level and is more consistent than Jones. Otherwise I'm happy for us to pass on the interest in fringe talls from other clubs that have achieved sweet FA at this level thus far.

1eyedog
06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
If the 'prizes' are Jaksch and Membrey, not that fussed at all about losing. None of these guys have achieved half of what Liam Jones has achieved in his career to date, which itself is not a hell of a lot. Hell, Membrey has achieved far less than Stringer and we are already blessed to have him ;)

If Sam Reid is being targeted, whilst I'm not a massive fan, at least he is a proven performer at AFL level and is more consistent than Jones. Otherwise I'm happy for us to pass on the interest in fringe talls from other clubs that have achieved sweet FA at this level thus far.

Yep there will only be discontent on my behalf if the Reid's / Carlisle's become available and we miss out there.

bulldogsman
06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Sydney's list manager said Sam Reid is not on the trade table.

The Dogs have interest in Sydney’s Sam Reid but Swans list manager Kinnear Beatson was emphatic yesterday. “They have never asked the question and we wouldn’t contemplate it anyway,’’ he told the Herald Sun. “And certainly not in a draft that hasn’t got many key-position types.”

bornadog
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Manager of Kristian Jaksch, Matt Bain says "He's probably got a slight preference to go to Carlton at this stage"

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I would like someone to explain to me the interest in going to Carlton currently

- Big club, yes
- Finals bound, no
- Excellent list/developing list, no
- Easy to gauge their trajectory, no

I get players opting for North. Carlton perplexes me.

jeemak
06-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I would like someone to explain to me the interest in going to Carlton currently

- Big club, yes
- Finals bound, no

Plus Malthouse. Players want to play under him.

Ozza
06-10-2014, 04:50 PM

- Big club, yes
- Finals bound, no

Are they still a big club?

To me, Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon are all bigger Victorian clubs than Carlton. I don't think they can be considered a 'Big 4' club any longer (whatever Big 4 means!).

Throughandthrough
06-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I hope we get Membry, and he kicks the winning goal after the siren against his old club, so I can post "thanks for the Membry". That's the only reason.

Doc26
06-10-2014, 05:29 PM

- Big club, yes
- Finals bound, no

In general, they're not attractive enough to hold the interest of disaffected / discarded players who hold decent currency, these go to the well managed / resourced Clubs, and is why they remain in a holding pattern e.g

- Finals bound, no

They are therefore becoming this sanctuary for disaffected or discarded players who hold only limited currency to others.

Generally, bottom tier Clubs can focus on topping up from their position in the draft or, as mentioned above, the top Clubs will attract disaffected players who hold worth in the market. Carlton are in no-man's land.

craigsahibee
06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Levi Greenwood reportedly to decide tomorrow between staying at Norf, going to Collingwood or us. According to Mitch Cleary on twitter

anfo27
06-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Western Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple on AFL Trade Radio, discussing the potential trade of Liam Jones to Carlton."We're a fair way apart...key forwards don't grow on trees."
Dalrymple also said that GWS defender Kristian Jaksch is not on the Dogs' radar.

Jeanette54
06-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Is there some chance that Liam Jones might choose to remain with us, or is he as good as gone and its just about price and/or return ?

BulldogBelle
06-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Western Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple on AFL Trade Radio, discussing the potential trade of Liam Jones to Carlton."We're a fair way apart...key forwards don't grow on trees."
Dalrymple also said that GWS defender Kristian Jaksch is not on the Dogs' radar.

Should we read into this that dogs want 2nd round and blues want to give 3rd round?

azabob
06-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Should we read into this that dogs want 2nd round and blues want to give 3rd round?

I think so.

ratsmac
06-10-2014, 06:36 PM

I am happy to hear that we are playing hard ball with them and not just accepting what they deem as a fair offer. ie - Brian Lake trade

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Has anyone else heard the rumour we are after Rhys Stanley?

Throughandthrough
06-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Phil Walsh to be named as Crows Coach

chef
Please no.

Throughandthrough

the guy from KISS?

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 07:56 PM

See that is disappointing. If he's not wanting to come here then that's fine but the word is we don't want him here and Dalrymple again as emphasised that. Seems like a good fit for us?

azabob
06-10-2014, 08:14 PM
See that is disappointing. If he's not wanting to come here then that's fine but the word is we don't want him here and Dalrymple again as emphasised that. Seems like a good fit for us?

Can he play? Apparently he isn't as competitive as he needs to be.

Go_Dogs
06-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Phil Walsh to be named as Crows Coach

Interesting choice.

JohnGentStand
06-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I've heard the Rhys Stanley rumour also....Not a huge fan but he offers at least as much as Liam Jones so if it is a nil loss I can see it as a risk worth taking. Anyone else...?

Greystache
06-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Why? He might be young and tall, but so far he can't get a game in a team desperate for key defenders. Maybe Dalrymple just thinks he's shit, in which case we're doing exactly the right thing.

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 08:33 PM

God I hope not. He has shown nothing except that one good game this year.

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Why? He might be young and tall, but so far he can't get a game in a team desperate for key defenders. Maybe Dalrymple just thinks he's shit, in which case we're doing exactly the right thing.

Pretty much. KPP that can play either end would be a good fit.

In regards to not getting a game it really doesn't concern me. Darley couldn't get a game either and we still grabbed him and looks like he may be with us for a while.

I thought he'd be worth going after.

w3design
06-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Is there some chance that Liam Jones might choose to remain with us, or is he as good as gone and its just about price and/or return ?
It's interesting now Cordy has gone pick 61 and Higgins RFA compensation will give us picks 26&27 the value of pick 45 or the third round pick from Carlton has diminished greatly if we choose to draft and not trade away our selections. We already have 4 picks in the top 45, if Carlton do not come to the party with what will now be pick 28 we should say to young Liam, Carlton really don't value you, hear is our 2 year offer again, if you don't like it well enjoy the psd and possibly the saints.

Today was an excellent day in terms of draft and trade position for the club if we want a better return for Liam jones

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Agreed.

I've seen him play a fair bit and he's only had a handful of good games.

Less proven than Jones.

kruder
07-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Such a third party may be Sydney and its midfielder Daniel Hannebery who continues to be mentioned in trades that link him back to his home city of Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs.
quote from the HUN.

Um Dan Hannebery anyone? I think I will answer yes for you all!

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 01:19 AM
I'd rather Jo Stanley

lemmon
07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Such a third party may be Sydney and its midfielder Daniel Hannebery who continues to be mentioned in trades that link him back to his home city of Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs.
quote from the HUN.

Very good footballer but I'm not sure I'd want to give our first rounder (which it would cost) when considering our needs in other areas of the ground

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2014, 01:37 AM
It is a poorly written article.

What they are trying to articulate is that Sydney could be the third party with Hannebery rumoured to be wanting to head home, or that the other third party could be us.

Dry Rot
07-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Anyone know what the Malceski -> Suns deal is worth? And the compo pick?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-06/malceski-becomes-a-sun

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Knowing the AFL it will be pick 1 and a pat on the bum.
With his age I'd say third round .
Hopefully that's the case , and looking forward to Carlton whinging re. Waite

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 06:15 AM
North Melbourne secured Shaun Higgins but is now waiting to learn if it will be able to hold onto onballer Levi Greenwood who is weighing up whether to move to Collingwood or the Western Bulldogs.

Greenwood is in Bali on holidays and has been out of phone range but is due back in communication on Tuesday with North hopeful of receiving an answer then as to whether he will stay or go.

The Bulldogs are understood to have offered the best terms on a new three year deal while Collingwood and North's offers are believed to be relatively comparable.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-sweats-on-greenwood-20141006-10r32i.html#ixzz3FOEvRVqb

The Doctor
07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
North Melbourne secured Shaun Higgins but is now waiting to learn if it will be able to hold onto onballer Levi Greenwood who is weighing up whether to move to Collingwood or the Western Bulldogs.

Greenwood is in Bali on holidays and has been out of phone range but is due back in communication on Tuesday with North hopeful of receiving an answer then as to whether he will stay or go.

The Bulldogs are understood to have offered the best terms on a new three year deal while Collingwood and North's offers are believed to be relatively comparable.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-sweats-on-greenwood-20141006-10r32i.html#ixzz3FOEvRVqb

Interesting Adelaide coming into the mix for Jones.

azabob
07-10-2014, 09:09 AM

That can only be a positive.

bornadog
07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
quote from the HUN.

If we can pick up Hannebery and Reid that will be 7 father sons playing for us.:)

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Hannebery? Sure.

Not our primary need but you cannot not-try and go after him if he's keen to come back.

Robbo gets it wrong sometimes but via Twitter..'Suspect Levi greenwood today announces he wants to move to collingwood.'

bornadog
07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Levi Greenwood has officially asked North Melbourne for a trade to Collingwood.

Axe Man
07-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Dalrymple On Kristian Jaksch: "We know him well, we did a lot of work on him in his 18th year and his has connections through our players who went to school with him. We don't think it's a realistic option with where we sit with our picks."

I don't read that as we aren't at all interested, rather that GWS will require a pick somewhere between pick 6 and pick 26 that we aren't realistically going to be able to make happen.

EasternWest
07-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Levi Greenwood has officially asked North Melbourne for a trade to Collingwood.

That's good for us isn't it? He's a good player, but doesn't fill what we really need. Him asking to go there means we won't pay overs in a bidding war.

Throughandthrough
07-10-2014, 11:12 AM

They have been trying to find a replacement for Ian Perrie

bornadog
07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
That's good for us isn't it? He's a good player, but doesn't fill what we really need. Him asking to go there means we won't pay overs in a bidding war.

Yeah, I am not fussed about this. One thing, we seem not to be an attractive club to want to come to.

whythelongface
07-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Interesting that we believe that he doesn't fill what we really need yet, reportedly, we offered him the greater contract out. Why were we so eager to get him?

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 11:22 AM
SEN are reporting Cooney will be heading to Carlton or Essendon.

whythelongface
07-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I am not fussed about this. One thing, we seem not to be an attractive club to want to come to.

It does appear to be that way doesn't it. That is what worries me.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Cooney, Jones & Tutt all to Carlton...

whythelongface
07-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Wow. Wonder if this is both a player and club decision if this were to be the case. It would be interesting what his worth is - would we be looking at a 2nd round pick plus a player for him?

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Wow. Wonder if this is both a player and club decision if this were to be the case. It would be interesting what his worth is - would we be looking at a 2nd round pick plus a player for him?

SEN were going with the whole player/coach relationship as the reason.

I think Cooney is probably worth a second rounder at the very most.

ledge
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Cooney good decision great player but has injury issues and questions in his stability with his knee , I say do it and get a player with 6 or 7 years of a career left at minimum.
Cooney and 26 for Carlisle

Greystache
07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
It does appear to be that way doesn't it. That is what worries me.

Have we ever been? All we've ever been able to attract is fringe types or veterans with cloud's over their heads. Crameri is the closest to a quality player in his prime we've managed to acquire in my memory, and that was last year.

Hot_Doggies
07-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Cooney good decision great player but has injury issues and questions in his stability with his knee , I say do it and get a player with 6 or 7 years of a career left at minimum.
Cooney and 26 for Carlisle

Winderlich and pick 26 for Bontempelli?

whythelongface
07-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Have we ever been? All we've ever been able to attract is fringe types or veterans with cloud's over their heads. Crameri is the closest to a quality player in his prime we've managed to acquire in my memory, and that was last year.

Nope not that I can remember. As you say Crameri has been it. It doesn't appear to be changing this year - in fact quite the opposite with a some want aways (albeit arguably non-required players). Hopefully we can be a desired club in the next couple of years if we rise up the ladder and are a chance at winning the flag.

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
SEN now reporting that Carlisle is in discussions with Essendon about his future with the club. Apparently came via Carlisle's manager. Who is Carlisle's manager?

EasternWest
07-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Wut?

Sedat
07-10-2014, 11:48 AM
There was a time a few years ago when we were a very attractive destination. Akermanis chose us over 3-4 other interested clubs. Walker wanted to come to us. Sherman chose us over Sydney (lucky us).

The wheel will turn again soon. We will be a very attractive destination to come and play in a couple of years' time

Sedat
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
You must be Adrian Dodoro!

Greystache
07-10-2014, 11:50 AM
SEN now reporting that Carlisle is in discussions with Essendon about his future with the club. Apparently came via Carlisle's manager. Who is Carlisle's manager?

Please let it be Simon Garlick ;)

It'll have to be via the escape clause, given Essendon have said they'll only trade Ryder (who finished a career high 7th in their B&F) for Wines, Hartlett, or Wingard. For Carlise they'll demand Bonti, MaCrae, and the first 5 picks in the draft.

If he can become a free agent and wants to come to us that would be a massive coup.

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Please let it be Simon Garlick ;)

It'll have to be via the escape clause, given Essendon have said they'll only trade Ryder (who finished a career high 7th in their B&F) for Wines, Hartlett, or Wingard. For Carlise they'll demand Bonti, MaCrae, and the first 5 picks in the draft.

If he can become a free agent and wants to come to us that would be a massive coup.

It has to be. He is contracted until the end of 2015. Would pick 5 and a player do it?

Greystache
07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
It has to be. He is contracted until the end of 2015. Would pick 5 and a player do it?

For a rational club? Maybe, depending on the player. It would have to be someone decent.

For Essendon, no chance. Not even if it was Bonti or MaCrae. They are tools, no two ways about it.

bornadog
07-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Is he worth pick 5?

Also, caller on Trade Radio says Carlisle has been seen at WO. All rumours of course.

The Underdog
07-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Wut?

Think he was comparing that to Cooney and 26 for Carlisle. "Apples for apples" as it were

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Is he worth pick 5?

Also, caller on Trade Radio says Carlisle has been seen at WO. All rumours of course.

Yes I heard that too. There have been three callers today state that Carlisle is at WO today. I think Carlisle is worth pick 5 and a player. He can be a very, very good player. I think he has the ability to be a dominant forward.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Yes I heard that too. There have been three callers today state that Carlisle is at WO today. I think Carlisle is worth pick 5 and a player. He can be a very, very good player. I think he has the ability to be a dominant forward.

To get a deal across the line we will need to use pick 6 plus somebody good. Stringer, Liberatore, Griffen, Bonts, Macrae and Roughead are off limits for mine, everyone else should can be put on the table though that won't be enough for the deluded EFC.

I would also consider keeping pick 6, and giving up Macrae and our second rounder to get the deal done.

bornadog
07-10-2014, 12:54 PM
To get a deal across the line we will need to use pick 6 plus somebody good. Stringer, Liberatore, Griffen, Bonts, Macrae and Roughead are off limits for mine, everyone else should can be put on the table though that won't be enough for the deluded EFC.

I would also consider keeping pick 6, and giving up Macrae and our second rounder to get the deal done.

How about Pick 6 and Wood?

Cyberdoggie
07-10-2014, 12:54 PM
We won't give up pick 6 unless we can get an upgraded pick, ie pick 3 to get Wright or McCartin.
How we achieve that I don't know. Could be fire sale time.

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 01:06 PM

I read that as Macrae, 6 and second rounder I nearly fell off my chair :D

jeemak
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I read that as Macrae, 6 and second rounder I nearly fell off my chair :D

Crazy jeemak's crazy bargains!

ledge
07-10-2014, 01:19 PM
If Carlisle uses the get out clause essendon are at our begging because the AFL will not compensate, I say 26 and Cooney or wood. They don't have much to pressure us with.
Except other clubs and if Carlisle nominates us they are in less bargaining power.

bornadog
07-10-2014, 01:30 PM
If Carlisle uses the get out clause essendon are at our begging because the AFL will not compensate, I say 26 and Cooney or wood. They don't have much to pressure us with.
Except other clubs and if Carlisle nominates us they are in less bargaining power.

Not sure why you keep bringing up Cooney. He has no currency and has shown loyalty to us.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 01:33 PM

My concern would be Essendon dragging it all into court and tying the whole thing up for another 12-24 months

jeemak
07-10-2014, 01:33 PM
How about Pick 6 and Wood?

Yes I would - if we thought we needed to trade rather than force Carlisle to use the "get-out" clause in his contract, though I doubt it would be likely we would do this.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
My concern would be Essendon dragging it all into court and tying the whole thing up for another 12-24 months

I don't think any club would try and hold them over a barrel on this, and would prefer to proactively put a deal together.

Greystache
07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't think any club would try and hold them over a barrel on this, and would prefer to proactively put a deal together.

They probably do, but then look at the way Essendon is carrying on with Port over Ryder. Port are looking to deal rather than trying to get him for nothing and Essendon are still behaving like they hold all the cards. I don't see anyway a deal for Carlisle would get done unless it's through the grievance process.

ledge
07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
If Carlisle is only signed for next year it's better to trade a year early than get nothing when they walk out eg the Lake trade.
Also depending where your are in rebuild, let players like Higgins go and get players who will be in their prime in 3 years.
Players with one year left in a contract are big chances to leave if club won't sign them up early.

ledge
07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Not sure why you keep bringing up Cooney. He has no currency and has shown loyalty to us.

If Cooney has any sort of currency left its now and If it gets a young gun across the line take it.

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Yes I would - if we thought we needed to trade rather than force Carlisle to use the "get-out" clause in his contract, though I doubt it would be likely we would do this.

They want JJ

bornadog
07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
They want JJ

I can live with that.

ledge
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
JJ a good player but we have a few with probably more talent to fill his role .. Do it

jeemak
07-10-2014, 02:02 PM
They probably do, but then look at the way Essendon is carrying on with Port over Ryder. Port are looking to deal rather than trying to get him for nothing and Essendon are still behaving like they hold all the cards. I don't see anyway a deal for Carlisle would get done unless it's through the grievance process.

It's the same thing they pulled with Crameri though, only to fold when it was clear there were no other options to improve their position. The outcome was a fair deal.

Greystache
07-10-2014, 02:04 PM
They want JJ

Is that from discussion this year or is that a throwback to the Crameri negotiations last year?

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Is that from discussion this year or is that a throwback to the Crameri negotiations last year?

It's a throw back to July where there were reports the Bombers were once again in his ear prior to signing on until 2017. I would have thought that JJ is almost a no-go area well - at least from a club perspective. Either way the Bombers are right into him.

KT31
JJ a good player but we have a few with probably more talent to fill his role .. Do it

Agree if it's JJ, Get it done.

Greystache
It's the same thing they pulled with Crameri though, only to fold when it was clear there were no other options to improve their position. The outcome was a fair deal.

And they probably think it makes them look like tough and uncompromising negotiators to their deluded fans, but all it achieves is it holds up any other deals teams want to try to do and pisses them off. When Port holds a potential trump card the way Essendon is carrying on is ridiculous. If they look like losing a second KP then they'll be even worse.

They have been a joke to trade with for a decade, and they also have won a final in just as long. Why they think Dodoro is doing a good job is beyond me, but then again Hird is still their senior coach.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
It's a throw back to July where there were reports the Bombers were once again in his ear prior to signing on until 2017. I would have thought that JJ is almost a no-go area well - at least from a club perspective. Either way the Bombers are right into him.
I thought there was a rule that stated you couldn't trade a player who had re-signed that year? I may be absolutely wrong

SquirrelGrip
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
JJ + draft pick for Carlisle? Do it now.

always right
07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
JJ + draft pick for Carlisle? Do it now.

Agree. Like JJ but more chance of finding a replacement than getting the KPF we have yearned for.

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
It's the pesimist in me but Carlisle is not coming to the WO. The same BS went around last year about Patton being seen at Footscray and he was overseas. Nill, zilch, no chance of it happening.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Dodoro kind of reminds me of the Iraqi information Minister standing there insisting that everything is AOK and this was all part of the plan while the buildings around him were all on fire.

bornadog
07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Dodoro kind of reminds me of the Iraqi information Minister standing there insisting that everything is AOK and this was all part of the plan while the buildings around him were all on fire.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Buttons%20icons/images-4_zpscf4826fb.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/Buttons%20icons/images-4_zpscf4826fb.jpg.html)

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I thought there was a rule that stated you couldn't trade a player who had re-signed that year? I may be absolutely wrong

I have absolutely no idea about this lemmon. What I do know is that JJ has signed on until 2017 and, in the face of a number of rumors, has been loyal to the only club that took a punt on him.

It's the pesimist in me but Carlisle is not coming to the WO. The same BS went around last year about Patton being seen at Footscray and he was overseas. Nill, zilch, no chance of it happening.

Agreed. All I've got is speculation, three calls into trade radio about sightings AT WO, the old run 'he would be a good fit for the Bulldogs' comments and a comment from an existing player that we are discussing one player from Essendon. It seems like such a long shot that it will be Carlisle.

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Agreed. All I've got is speculation, three calls into trade radio about sightings AT WO, the old run 'he would be a good fit for the Bulldogs' comments and a comment from an existing player that we are discussing one player from Essendon. It seems like such a long shot that it will be Carlisle.

Courtney Johns is fit and ready to go.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 03:17 PM
So is Mark Bolton and Aaron Henneman

stefoid
07-10-2014, 03:47 PM

You have a long memory

ledge
07-10-2014, 03:48 PM

Sorry that's a lie .. The fit bit

jeemak
07-10-2014, 03:52 PM

You have a long memory

Wasn't it a yearly thing for these guys to be linked with us over the course of three or four seasons?

Jeanette54
07-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Interesting that we believe that he doesn't fill what we really need yet, reportedly, we offered him the greater contract out.

Confirmed by his manager, Liam Pickering on Trade Radio, "The Dogs didn't muck around, they probably had the better offer but in the end Collingwood was a better fit."

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Confirmed by his manager, Liam Pickering on Trade Radio, "The Dogs didn't muck around, they probably had the better offer but in the end Collingwood was a better fit."

Should we be concerned that we offered a better deal and couldn't get the player??

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Maybe Greenwood sees the Collingwood midfield is a bit lighter than ours .

chef
07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Should we be concerned that we offered a better deal and couldn't get the player??

Not really, it's been happening for ages.

We need to keep just focusing on the draft.