PDA

View Full Version : The Rumour Mill

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Jeanette54
07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Should we be concerned that we offered a better deal and couldn't get the player??

One could view it in two ways. One is negative, ie. that we are not an attractive enough option to a player being traded. The other is a positive, "With Bonti, Macrae, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Kobi, Mitch & Libba; how the hell would I be guarranteed to get a game".

bornadog
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
One could view it in two ways. One is negative, ie. that we are not an attractive enough option to a player being traded. The other is a positive, "With Bonti, Macrae, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Kobi, Mitch & Libba; how the hell would I be guarranteed to get a game".

I think you are right J54. He has only played regular senior footy this year and probably sees more opportunities at Collingwood.

bull79
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I am starting to be concerned that players we have showed interest in, are not interested in us:confused:

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 04:14 PM
We'll become popular when we improve ( to me that's the draft)
To get someone in of note ( not talking fringe players) we'd be paying overs.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Wasn't it a yearly thing for these guys to be linked with us over the course of three or four seasons?
Yep. Then in the same breath Sheedy would offer up a 2nd rounder and an already delisted player for Scott West

ledge
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM

If I was Greenwood I would have taken the pies a bit like a big forward going to Sydney with the forward line they have what chance have you got of getting a game?

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Should we be concerned that we offered a better deal and couldn't get the player??

Not so much in this instance. Collingwood are a better chance at finals than we are that doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Melbourne, Carlton and even St.Kilda are attracting players while we (so it seems) are not.

ledge
07-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I think collingwood are on the way down not up, I also think players look at teams to whether they will get a game so in effect certain players like mids would not come to us because we are well equipped there .

bornadog
07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Longmire says Reid a wanted player.

Longmire: We don't get involved in any speculation. Sam Reid is a contracted player and we're confident he'll have a big future with us

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Longmire says Reid a wanted player.

This from the same club who kept Buddy a secret for 6 months. I don't believe anything that comes out of their caviar dripping mouths.

anfo27
07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Pickering on SEN said we offered Greenwood 4 years.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM

And he knocked it back... We seem to be toxic, no one wants to come to us while players are standing in line at Melbourne and Carlton.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
We dodged a bullet. Geez, he's had one good year in 6 seasons - timing is everything it seems. Good on him for striking while the iron is hot.

anfo27
07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
And he knocked it back... We seem to be toxic, no one wants to come to us while players are standing in line at Melbourne and Carlton.

Pies offered 4 years as well. I guess we offered better coin.

stefoid
07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has suggested that the depth in this year's draft pool means the Dogs may not want to bring in any players from other clubs.
"If we sit back and make no trades at all, given the quality of this year's draft, that puts us in a really exciting position," he said.

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Backpeddalling......last week it was all we have a plan we will get the players/picks we want etc.....

Bulldog4life
07-10-2014, 06:11 PM
We dodged a bullet. Geez, he's had one good year in 6 seasons - timing is everything it seems. Good on him for striking while the iron is hot.

Agree Sedat. He might be a one season wonder. Why take the chance when we don't need to. I am glad we didn't get him.

always right
07-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm not overly fussed about not getting him....just pissed that we simply aren't attractive enough to bring players across even when we offer more coin. Certainly isn't for want of trying by the sound of it.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Pies offered 4 years as well. I guess we offered better coin.
If the rumours about the Pies deal being 600k a year for four years is correct I shudder to think what our offer was. That's stupid money for an inside mid with one year of good footy behind him, I doubt Libba's current contract would even be that lucrative. Happy we didn't get him to be honest.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I think collingwood are on the way down not up, I also think players look at teams to whether they will get a game so in effect certain players like mids would not come to us because we are well equipped there .

Liam Pickering just said on SEN that when Greenwwod looked at Norf's midfield he felt that he'd be the first one dropped if it was at full strength. I dunno if that's a good reason to leave a club that's just achieved it's best ladder finish in over a decade(?) and you're the runner up in the club B&F but it sounds like he is lacking a bit in the reassurance stakes.

KT31
07-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has suggested that the depth in this year's draft pool means the Dogs may not want to bring in any players from other clubs.
"If we sit back and make no trades at all, given the quality of this year's draft, that puts us in a really exciting position," he said.
Contrary to what the club was saying last week.
Although I prefer this position than us making a poor trade out of desperation.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Contrary to what the club was saying last week.
Although I prefer this position than us making a poor trade out of desperation.

Should the Pres be talking football matters anyway? I'd feel better if it were coming from someone inside the football department. With all due respect to Gordon I don't think he's seen enough of the kids to comment.

Maddog37
07-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Players will always choose big clubs like Collingwood etc over us unless we are in a premiership window. Has always been the case and always will be.

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Me too. It irks me a little these knee jerk offers thrown out to players just because they're suddenly available. Was he in our plans or on our radar? No. Is he the kind of player we need? No. Does he have a strong track record of consistent performance? No.
Stick to the draft. Stick to the plan.

ratsmac
07-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Me too. It irks me a little these knee jerk offers thrown out to players just because they're suddenly available. Was he in our plans or on our radar? No. Is he the kind of player we need? No. Does he have a strong track record of consistent performance? No.
Stick to the draft. Stick to the plan.

I'm with you DD. I was more worried than excited that he was a chance of getting to the Dogs. He had a good season this year and that's it. Last year he was lucky to get a game. It might continue on and become a consistent performer and he might not as well.

I'm glad he chose Collingwood.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Greenwood is a solid player but I am surprised by our level of interest in him.

Happy enough to go to the draft, so long as we rate its depth. I'm hoping we can find a way to get Melbournes pick #3 without coughing up a young gun such as Hrovat. We do that and I will be happy.

dogman
07-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I think plan for Greenwood was to eventually replace Boyd, especially with uncertainty with recovery of Smith.

azabob
07-10-2014, 07:14 PM

Pickering also said he wants to play inside mid. Rightly or wrongly it is perceived that is our biggest strength.

Come on BT who is lining up at Melbourne and Carlton that is of value?

GVGjr
07-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm not overly fussed about not getting him....just pissed that we simply aren't attractive enough to bring players across even when we offer more coin. Certainly isn't for want of trying by the sound of it.
The environment has changed and at least we are having a genuine go at it. Missing out on some of these guys might be better for us in the longer run

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Backpeddalling......last week it was all we have a plan we will get the players/picks we want etc.....

Yep. Then we realised no players want to come here.

Draft it is then.

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Look Greenwoods a good player but as Sedat said he is striking while the iron is hot.
I'm just praying we don't bring in periphery types, as it just doesn't work.

Doc26
07-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Listening to Darcy Moore being interviewed on SEN tonight on the drive home I couldn't help but get slightly agitated by him when he responded to a question with the line "Dad said he wouldn't know what he would've done if I had ended up at the Bulldogs".

I don't think Darcy meant it to sound exactly as it might to a sensitive Bulldog supporter, but nonetheless it raised my hackles given the current lack of love for us.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Listening to Darcy Moore being interviewed on SEN tonight on the drive home I couldn't help but get slightly agitated by him when he responded to a question with the line "Dad said he wouldn't know what he would've done if I had ended up at the Bulldogs".

I don't think Darcy meant it to sound exactly as it might to a sensitive Bulldog supporter, but nonetheless it raised my hackles given the current lack of love for us.
18 year old kid with limited media experience...I can probably forgive him considering I imagine he'd have said the same thing about any club that bid on him. I'm sure we'd love Zaine even more if he said something similar about the filth!

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 08:03 PM

I think its just where our stocks are at the moment. Also Peter Moore was a Pie through and through - 2 or 3 losing GF's for the Pies, Brownlow medallist. It would be like Dougie Hawkins kid or Scott Wynd's kid being snapped up by the Saints or the Bombers.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Paid Hine a 'friendly visit' I'd suggest.

SonofScray
07-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Will give him the benefit of the doubt but this reads as if it had a bit of the Dwayne Russell's about it.

Doc26
07-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Will give him the benefit of the doubt but this reads as if it had a bit of the Dwayne Russell's about it.

Wasn't so much a dig at the kid but more about me being overly sensitive to our current situation, sympathising with Always Right.
I do agree with Lemmon's and Fredi's previous rational take on it.

Topdog
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Greenwoods stats this year on our team had him

*1st in i50s
*3rd in tackles
*2nd in disposals
*3rd in goals
*3rd in clearances
*2nd in centre clearances

craigsahibee
07-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Has anyone heard any whispers involving J Grant. I'm not surprised by the fact that he doesn't have any suitors.

G-Mo77
07-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Has anyone heard any whispers involving J Grant. I'm not surprised by the fact that he doesn't have any suitors.

Our involvement, well at least to the public, seems we've been non existent.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 09:11 PM

If we couldn't get a trade last year at his optimum value, why would look to trade him after being out for much of the year?

Greystache
07-10-2014, 09:11 PM

I'd be staggered if his manager isn't flogging him around to anyone who's even slightly interested, and if he's not Grant should fire him. A trade almost certainly means another 2 year contract.fIf he stays with us he could very well be digging holes for a living this time next year.

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I think Grant still has something to offer. This year his pre-season was written off because of the foot injury and he then came back well underdone. We've all seen just how hard it is for a seasoned professional like Cooney to function with no preseason, I think our expectations of Grant were OTT once he had the injury. I do think he is in Macca's plans - quick, sticky hands, good positional sense and a knack for kicking goals is not something we have a lot of. Its his temperament that is the problem.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I think Grant still has something to offer. This year his pre-season was written off because of the foot injury and he then came back well underdone. We've all seen just how hard it is for a seasoned professional like Cooney to function with no preseason, I think our expectations of Grant were OTT once he had the injury. I do think he is in Macca's plans - quick, sticky hands, good positional sense and a knack for kicking goals is not something we have a lot of. Its his temperament that is the problem.

Copped a busted nose which stuffed him a little more too. I'm still strongly in the keep him camp.

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Copped a busted nose which stuffed him a little more too. I'm still strongly in the keep him camp.

Unless of course Melbourne want to give us pick 3 for him :D

Everyone is tradeable at the right price

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm in the trade him camp, but I don't think he's wanted.
If he stays he's got 12 months or it's career over.
I hope we don't get a last hour career saver like we got 12 months ago.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Unless of course Melbourne want to give us pick 3 for him :D

Everyone is tradeable at the right price

Jarrod Grant worth a top 10 draft pick... who'd be stupid enough to offer up a top 10 draft pick for a lanky 3rd tall with application question marks...

Do we still have Clayton's phone number?

1eyedog
07-10-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm in the trade him camp, but I don't think he's wanted.
If he stays he's got 12 months or it's career over.
I hope we don't get a last hour career saver like we got 12 months ago.

I have a feelin in me bones re. Grant for next year and it's a good one.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 10:11 PM
This is the best thing I've heard all day. I hope we are true to this philosophy.

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 10:21 PM
This is the best thing I've heard all day. I hope we are true to this philosophy.

Thank god for that
Just looking giver at insane footy, it's up to 1061 pages on Draft List management !!
Some might self combust on there if we don't bring someone in .

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Players will always choose big clubs like Collingwood etc over us unless we are in a premiership window. Has always been the case and always will be.

Aren't we jumping at shadows a bit on this issue?
Darcy Moore would have grown up with black and white veins running through his body, as did young Libba and Mitch with us.
Greenwood would see our midfield( which is our strong point) as young and only going to get better, and The pies minus Beams and an
Ageing Swan ,as more appealing .

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Aren't we jumping at shadows a bit on this issue?
Darcy Moore would have grown up with black and white veins running through his body, as did young Libba and Mitch with us.
Greenwood would see our midfield( which is our strong point) as young and only going to get better, and The pies minus Beams and an
Ageing Swan ,as more appealing .
Greenwood would have been persuaded by the aura that Collingwood gains through its media exposure. The Western Bulldogs rightly or wrongly doesn't have the same pulling power. This is all the more reason why we should direct our energies towards seeking young new talent in the hope that we can recruit more like Bontempelli Stringer Macrae and Hrovat. I am yet to be convinced that the approach of North Melbourne and Carlton in recruiting recycled players at the moment is the right way towards building the best culture.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 11:29 PM
BAD's going to have a fit when he reads this:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-dogs-consider-adam-cooney-trade-20141007-10rlob.html

Cooney, Jones and pick 45 in return for Carlton's pick 28 being mooted.

We must really think Cooney's had it as far as we're concerned, must have been a pretty harsh exit interview.

whythelongface
07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Greenwood would have been persuaded by the aura that Collingwood gains through its media exposure. The Western Bulldogs rightly or wrongly doesn't have the same pulling power. This is all the more reason why we should direct our energies towards seeking young new talent in the hope that we can recruit more like Bontempelli Stringer Macrae and Hrovat. I am yet to be convinced that the approach of North Melbourne and Carlton in recruiting recycled players at the moment is the right way towards building the best culture.

Agree. Certainly not middle of the road recycled players anyway. Best way to build a dynasty seems to be through the draft and add the final touches later with quality trades.

I see Emma Quayle has written an article suggesting we are discussing trading Cooney along with Jones and our Third round pick for Carlton's pick 28. Seems to be unders for my liking.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 11:35 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-dogs-consider-adam-cooney-trade-20141007-10rlob.html

We must really think Cooney's had it as far as we're concerned, must have been a pretty harsh exit interview.

Cooney and Jones for a 17 pick upgrade. Give us all strength if that happens.

Cooney, Higgins, Tutt & Jones out the door with the retirements and delistings. That's the number of changes I wanted, but not the personnel.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 11:37 PM

I seriously, seriously hope we laugh them out of the room for suggesting that crap

KT31
07-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Surely we would least swap our third round picks, seems we are getting well unders for this trade.

angelopetraglia
07-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Surely we are on the wrong side of that deal or the club has absolutely no time for Cooney. Cooney did have an ordinary year after putting in a much better effort in 2013 to secure a new contract.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 11:39 PM
If we swap our third round picks we end up going further back in the deal!

bornadog
07-10-2014, 11:43 PM

I seriously, seriously hope we laugh them out of the room for suggesting that crap

I am use to getting rid of club champions that is the Bulldogs way :mad: - especially our Brownlow medalists.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Cooney at least deserves the respect of an individual trade for a decent pick.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 11:48 PM

It's not much better than trading Rawlings for a pick loss, then used on their now captain. I can't believe that's close to real. Or rather, I wont.

azabob
07-10-2014, 11:48 PM

According to many on here Cooney has no trade value what so ever.

I wouldn't mind betting this trade gets up.

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 11:54 PM

What makes you so sure that they suggested this......

GVGjr
07-10-2014, 11:55 PM

I think this is just a lot of speculation but....

If Cooney is looking to leave should we consider this sort of deal. If you are over the age of 26 and have played your best football and you would like to play elsewhere then I'm okay with the club strengthening our position at the draft table.

He's been a great footballer for us but if any player isn't happy then it's not no good keeping them around.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2014, 11:55 PM
I would be disgusted with that trade.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2014, 11:58 PM
I think this is a lot of speculation but....

If Cooney is looking to leave should we consider this sort of deal. If you are over the age of 26 and have played your best football and you would like to play elsewhere then I'm okay with the club strengthening our position at the draft table.

He's been a great footballer for us but if any player isn't happy then it's not no good keeping them around.

I have no issue trading Cooney, but that proposed deal is ludicrous. Cooney and Jones have their faults but to lose them and pick 45 for one second round pick is insanity.

Jones is worth pick 30-40 himself and Cooney similar.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2014, 12:00 AM
I think this is just a lot of speculation but....

So Jones and pick 47 for pick 28 isn't enough so it needs Cooney added to the job done?

FrediKanoute
08-10-2014, 12:01 AM
We need to take it all with a pinch of salt. The article says the "dogs are considering" which may as well say, Carlton/Adelaide threw it out there as an option and we haven't responded. This stuff gets thrown out as sound bites into the media to get players heads in a muddle. For all we know it could be a play to get Cooney unsettled for next year. Until the trade is done its not worth worrying about.

whythelongface
08-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Cooney, Jones and pick 45 in return for puck 28 just seems like we are getting dudded. Surely there would have to be another part to that equation. Maybe throw in Henderson and it seems fair.

Hotdog60
08-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Wait til Rooner17 comes on.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 12:03 AM
My concern would be Cooney and Stringer are very close. Would hate for this to even slightly tarnish Stringers relationship with the club

bornadog
08-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Wait til Rooner17 comes on.

nah, Fredi is right.

GVGjr
08-10-2014, 12:11 AM
So Jones and pick 47 for pick 28 isn't enough so it needs Cooney added to the job done?

I'm not endorsing the deal as it stands but I'm commenting on the concept of improving our position at the draft table and moving on players that don't want to be with us. I'm also looking at the fact that Cooney and Higgins have played their best football for us.

We should always explore the best deal but I don't want players going through the motions because their heart isn't in it.

If Cooney is happy with us, then we shouldn't trade him

GVGjr
08-10-2014, 12:12 AM
We need to take it all with a pinch of salt. The article says the "dogs are considering" which may as well say, Carlton/Adelaide threw it out there as an option and we haven't responded. This stuff gets thrown out as sound bites into the media to get players heads in a muddle. For all we know it could be a play to get Cooney unsettled for next year. Until the trade is done its not worth worrying about.

Agreed Fredi, it's just speculation at the moment.

Hotdog60
08-10-2014, 12:18 AM
I think Cooney's best football is behind him but he has shown faith and stayed with us and I'm happy to keep him.

But I think his credits are just about out. I hope he can capture some consistency in his game.

If he goes down the free agency path at the end of his current contract so be it because I think he is just about at the year by year deal.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm not endorsing the deal as it stands but I'm commenting on the concept of improving our position at the draft table and moving on players that don't want to be with us. I'm also looking at the fact that Cooney and Higgins have played their best football for us.

We should always explore the best deal but I don't want players going through the motions because their heart isn't in it.

Agree on both bolded parts.

Dry Rot
08-10-2014, 12:23 AM
My concern would be Cooney and Stringer are very close. Would hate for this to even slightly tarnish Stringers relationship with the club

My take is that sounds like Cooney wants to leave, rather than we are giving him the boot.

Thoughts?

bornadog
08-10-2014, 12:29 AM
My take is that sounds like Cooney wants to leave, rather than we are giving him the boot.

Thoughts?

Last year when he signed a two year contract he said he wanted to stay and help mentor the young kids and wanted to be a one club player. What has changed,if anything, who knows

bulldogtragic
08-10-2014, 12:30 AM

Essentially Cooney would be traded for nothing or very little which raises list management questions not just trade questions. I understand the general principle of move em on if they're not happy, but this requires a question as to why contract him to two years last year? His knees were just as shot and year by year should've been done. At least FA compo last year or this year would've been more this year than nothing as it could stand. I know it's hindsight, but all the Macca hysteria was around offering a contract extension, and it saving him (and the other white noise). It was fairly good odds either his knees or form would drop off. So if he now wants out for bugger all it would be disappointing beyond simply move him on.

kruder
08-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Gee we are going to have a massive amount of free space in the cap. No doubt we will be offering Lynch/Cameron/Carlisle 1mill deals going forward. Interesting times at the Kennel....

If we do loose Coons though id like us to pick up at least one best 22 player this trade period for balance. It makes sense now why we had a crack at Greenwood.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Maybe we would pass on this trade and Higgins trade with our first draft to Melbourne to get their 3rd draft choice.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Gee we are going to have a massive amount of free space in the cap. No doubt we will be offering Lynch/Cameron/Carlisle 1mill deals going forward. Interesting times at the Kennel....

If we do loose Coons though id like us to pick up at least one best 22 player this trade period for balance. It makes sense now why we had a crack at Greenwood.
Not sure he would have been on a huge wage as I think he would have taken a drop in wage.
With regards to him being traded my heart says don't do it but my head says it is smart as he is shot and plays in fits and spurts now.

Remi Moses
08-10-2014, 01:19 AM
I'd trade him ( sounds like he wants out anyway, but who knows)
That deal needs a bit more currency on our side of the equation.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 01:59 AM

Ridiculous and will not even imagine it to be true.

Remi Moses
08-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Are we trying to satisfy someone higher up on the draft table?

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:53 AM
This is Brian Lake all over again. We got bugger all for him and we'll get bugger all for Cooney and Jones if this is not speculation. I'm happy to explore options with Cooney but this is unders, big time.

ledge
08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
This is Brian Lake all over again. We got bugger all for him and we'll get bugger all for Cooney and Jones if this is not speculation. I'm happy to explore options with Cooney but this is unders, big time.

We got Hrovat and Stevens for Lake, great trade actually 2 players with ten years in them, if we didn't trade that year we would have got nothing the next year as he was a free agent.
I wish it's the Lake trade all over again.

chef
08-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Been done to death, but we made did great from that trade(Stevens and Hrovat). Hope we can do more like them.

chef
08-10-2014, 08:40 AM

I'd be fine with this trade.

Cooneys just about shot with probs a season left in him and Jones isnt of AFL quality IMO and with Cordy going at 61 we can be a bit more flexible with pick 45.

I guess a lot depends on how Dalrymple rates the top 30, this would give us 4 picks which would be awesome.

The Underdog
08-10-2014, 08:54 AM
The overlooked aspect of the article is that Cooney is a free agent after next year, so it comes down to how much is one year of Cooney worth in that deal? I still feel like we're getting unders but it also kind of depends how important that pick 28 is in the broader context of the trade period and what we can use it for.
Having followed US sports for a while, the value of a trade is often affected by the length and value of the contract being traded. Unfortunately that's the world that AFL football has moved towards. I wonder how scientifically we've valued the picks and their worth against the value of players. Systems have developed in the US to value draft picks, hopefully we're ahead of the curve in that area and not just throwing shit at a dart board.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Maybe this is less about what we get and more about Coons and the club not being on the same page. Seems a line in the sand has been drawn and unless you care prepared to play a certain way you won't be at the club. This year may be a defining moment of the club and a new ruthless , uncompromising operation might emerge

soupman
08-10-2014, 09:52 AM

That trade minus Cooney is what I would be hoping to get for Jones and Tutt. Those two plus 45 for pick 28.

With Cooney in there it's practically giving him away for free.

jeemak
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't believe I didn't receive any likes for posting that article.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Essentially Cooney would be traded for nothing or very little which raises list management questions not just trade questions. I understand the general principle of move em on if they're not happy, but this requires a question as to why contract him to two years last year? His knees were just as shot and year by year should've been done. At least FA compo last year or this year would've been more this year than nothing as it could stand. I know it's hindsight, but all the Macca hysteria was around offering a contract extension, and it saving him (and the other white noise). It was fairly good odds either his knees or form would drop off. So if he now wants out for bugger all it would be disappointing beyond simply move him on.

Agree. This trade, as it's stated currently, is horrible. Cooney has diminishing value, but you're right in that Cooney is essentially being traded for free - in fact, we're paying for him to be traded by the late swap to Carlton. WTF. If it was Jones and Cooney for pick 28 then i could live with that much better than giving them a pick back in the late 40's.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I'd be fine with this trade.

Cooneys just about shot with probs a season left in him and Jones isnt of AFL quality IMO and with Cordy going at 61 we can be a bit more flexible with pick 45.

I guess a lot depends on how Dalrymple rates the top 30, this would give us 4 picks which would be awesome.

The pick 45 doesn't make sense in this scenario though. Carlton have added two players and get the draft pick. We've shifted two and lost a draft pick.

chef
08-10-2014, 10:15 AM
The pick 45 doesn't make sense in this scenario though. Carlton have added two players and get the draft pick. We've shifted two and lost a draft pick.

ATM it may not, but it probably will by the time the draft has finished.

soupman
08-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Ok how's this in an effort to get pick 3 off Melbourne?

We trade for Carlton pick 28. Ideally it would be Jones, Tutt and pick 45 for pick 28. As for Cooney if he goes I would try and get at least pick 46 in the deal, or if Robinson gets traded for a better pick than that then that pick.

We hit up one of the clubs with picks 15-18 (GC, North, Port, Sydney) offering picks 27 & 28. One of them hopefully likes the prospect of a 10 pick downgrade to pick up another top 30 pick.

Trade pick 6 and 15-18 to GWS for pick 4 and Sam Frost. Frosts value is about pick 25 I think, so we need the lower pick to compensate for the pick 4 downgrade.

Send pick 4 and Frost to Melbourne with our pick 26 in return for Melbournes pick 3 and 23. Frost is one of Melbourne's targets and they basically get him for a downgrade of 23 to 26.

We end up giving pick 6, 26, 27 and 28 for pick 3 and 23
GWs give pick 4 and Frost for picks 6 and 15-18
Melbourne give pick 3 and 23 for pick 4, Frost and 26

I would also try and secure GWS picks 43 and 62. There is no way they are using them, I think we are paying overs for Frost and GWS have to cut players not recruit them so are unlikely to use more than the mandated 3 picks, which after this trade would be 6, 15-18 and 21, with 24 also committed to a father son.

soupman
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Alternatively we could just forget about the Melbourne pick 3 and just do the rest without pick 26.

So we would lose pick 6, 27 and 28 for pick 4 and pick 23.
GWS would lose pick 4 and Frost for picks 6 and 15-18.
Melbourne would receive Frost for pick 23.

We got to the draft with picks 4, 23 and 26 + the Cooney bonus pick in the 40's.

I don't think we need pick 3 if we can get pick 4 because since Melbourne have pick 2 they can manipulate the draft to suit them anyway. With two top 4 picks they will draft one mid and one key forward, so Brayshaw and McCartin for example. If we have pick 3 they know that we want whichever of McCartin and Wright we rate higher, and won't take Brayshaw. So they leave Brayshaw for pick 4 and take their favourite tall with pick 2, meaning we get the left over one. If we have pick 4 the exact same scenario plays out, as there is no way they draft both McCartin and Wright unless they suddenly turn into GWS.

The only danger to this is if pick 1 is used on one of McCartin or Wright, in which case Melbourne might choose to pass on Brayshaw or Petracca in favour of the other tall.

So basically having GWS pick 4 would be no worse than Melbourne's pick 3, and GWS are probably going to be easier to deal with.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Alternatively we could just forget about the Melbourne pick 3 and just do the rest without pick 26.

So we would lose pick 6, 27 and 28 for pick 4 and pick 23.
GWS would lose pick 4 and Frost for picks 6 and 15-18.
Melbourne would receive Frost for pick 23.

We got to the draft with picks 4, 23 and 26 + the Cooney bonus pick in the 40's.

I don't think we need pick 3 if we can get pick 4 because since Melbourne have pick 2 they can manipulate the draft to suit them anyway. With two top 4 picks they will draft one mid and one key forward, so Brayshaw and McCartin for example. If we have pick 3 they know that we want whichever of McCartin and Wright we rate higher, and won't take Brayshaw. So they leave Brayshaw for pick 4 and take their favourite tall with pick 2, meaning we get the left over one. If we have pick 4 the exact same scenario plays out, as there is no way they draft both McCartin and Wright unless they suddenly turn into GWS.

The only danger to this is if pick 1 is used on one of McCartin or Wright, in which case Melbourne might choose to pass on Brayshaw or Petracca in favour of the other tall.

So basically having GWS pick 4 would be no worse than Melbourne's pick 3, and GWS are probably going to be easier to deal with.

If I were the Saints I would be picking McCartin as a replacement for Reiwoldt and if I were Melbourne I would be picking Petracca as they need more mids. Not sure where that leaves Wright.

soupman
08-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Otherwise we ditch Melbourne and Frost, and ask for GWS pick 4 and 21 in return for 6 and 15-18. They get three picks in the draft (6, 15-18, 24 (FS)) and we get picks 4, 21, 26 etc.

KT31
08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Agree. This trade, as it's stated currently, is horrible. Cooney has diminishing value, but you're right in that Cooney is essentially being traded for free - in fact, we're paying for him to be traded by the late swap to Carlton. WTF. If it was Jones and Cooney for pick 28 then i could live with that much better than giving them a pick back in the late 40's.

Maybe Cooney wants to move on and out of respect we will get the deal done for nix.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Maybe Cooney wants to move on and out of respect we will get the deal done for nix.

We should change our name to the Open Wide Bulldogs then. We're already likely to shift Jones and Tutt for a combined total of much less than they're worth.

soupman
08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
If I were the Saints I would be picking McCartin as a replacement for Reiwoldt and if I were Melbourne I would be picking Petracca as they need more mids. Not sure where that leaves Wright.

Yeah that is the danger.

If Saints take McCartin then the following happens:

If Melbourne want both Petracca and Brayshaw.
Pick 2: MD - Petracca
Pick 3: WB - Wright
Pick 4: MD - Brayshaw

If Melbourne want Wright and one of the others.
Pick 2: MD - Wright
Pick 3: WB - Petracca

Pick 3: MD - Brayshaw
Pick 4: WB - Wright

Pick 2: MD - Petracca/Brayshaw
Pick 3: MD - Wright
Pick 4: WB - Petracca/Brayshaw/Pickett/Durdin etc.

So basically pick 3 means we are guaranteed one of Wright or Petracca. If McCartin goes number 1 though we are guaranteed whichever of McCartin and Wright Melbourne rate lower.

The other danger is that Melbourne trade pick 3 to someone else who wants a key forward, although I am under the impression Melbourne want one of Petracca and Brayshaw ahead of the talls so it might work out still if McCartin doesn't go 1.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Yeah that is the danger.

If Saints take McCartin then the following happens:

Pick 3: WB - Wright

Pick 2: MD - Wright
Pick 3: WB - Petracca

Pick 3: MD - Brayshaw
Pick 4: WB - Wright

Pick 2: MD - Petracca/Brayshaw
Pick 3: MD - Wright
Pick 4: WB - Petracca/Brayshaw/Pickett/Durdin etc.

So basically pick 3 means we are guaranteed one of Wright or Petracca. If McCartin goes number 1 though we are guaranteed whichever of McCartin and Wright Melbourne rate lower.

Also will depend on what GWS want.

The other danger is that Melbourne trade pick 3 to someone else who wants a key forward, although I am under the impression Melbourne want one of Petracca and Brayshaw ahead of the talls so it might work out still if McCartin doesn't go 1.

soupman
08-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Not if we have their pick 4 and they our pick 6 (obviously assuming they do the trade). If they do want one of the above mentioned guys then they won't do the trade.

KT31
08-10-2014, 10:55 AM
We should change our name to the Open Wide Bulldogs then. We're already likely to shift Jones and Tutt for a combined total of much less than they're worth.

I don't agree with the trade for one minute but I am trying to work out why the club would bend over so much if this deal is done.
Although a few months back a couple of posters were calling for the Coondog to retire this would very much the same result in regards to compensation.

KT31
08-10-2014, 10:59 AM

If history is anything GWS preference seems to be talls, so I would prefer to have a pick prior to them.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Really? We upgraded our Lake compensation for pick 21 and got a 10 year player - I'm not sure we got bugger all for him. I'm wrapped with how it worked out for us and I think the club was too. I'm happy to trade Cooney out - he'll be 30 next year with the knee of 60 year old. Boyd also should have been traded last year while he still had some currency. We need to move up the draft order and / or increase our options at both the trade / draft table at every opportunity. Both Cooney and Boyd provide / provided an opportunity to do that. Pick 28 for Cooney and Jones is ok for me although I'd prefer more but this is our last chance to get something for Cooney. Jones is not in our best 22 and Cooney may have one year left - what's there to lose exactly?

If we are concerned about the fabric / culture of the club and not trading away champions well that philosophy to me is one of the main reasons why we haven't won a premiership. Times have changed and I think Macca is now seeing things differently and making big calls. For mine, I'd rather have an extended run at a premiership with a bunch of quality 10 year players than slowly nurse our vets through the last 1-2 years of their career. If someone can make better use of Cooney in their window (and I have absolutely no idea why Carlton are interested in him to be honest) then we need to do it. In 10 years time what will we remember? That we traded a 29 year old player on one knee or the extended run we had at the finals because we were smart with our trading? We need to get the players we need who are in the same age profile so we give them not only an opportunity to play finals together but have an extended run at them like Geelong and Hawthorn have.

I'm getting old and sick and tired of not playing Grand Final footy - let's do it.

soupman
08-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Allen Christensen apparently wants a trade out of Geelong, hasn't nominated a preference for destination but the media seems t be running with Gold Coast because he has a cousin there.

I for one agree that the only factor in a major career move I would be taking into account would be where my cousin plays.

Throughandthrough
08-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Every rebuilding club "cough", needs a good selection of senior/mature players as well to show the way/provide leadership/remain cool in a crisis.

Who will we have left to do this?

Griff, Minson and ??

bornadog
08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Every rebuilding club "cough", needs a good selection of senior/mature players as well to show the way/provide leadership/remain cool in a crisis.

Griff, Minson and ??

Melbourne says hello

jeemak
08-10-2014, 11:58 AM

Griff, Minson and ??

Boyd, Picken, Morris and Murphy this year.

chef
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Plus we've got kids like Bonti, Macrae, Stringer etc influencing games right now. Something Melbourne hasn't got.

Our young player development seems to he the last of our worries atm

bulldogsman
08-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Allen Christensen apparently wants a trade out of Geelong, hasn't nominated a preference for destination but the media seems t be running with Gold Coast because he has a cousin there.

I for one agree that the only factor in a major career move I would be taking into account would be where my cousin plays.

It's been reported on AFL.com, that he wants to move up to QLD for personal reasons.

mighty_west
08-10-2014, 12:17 PM

From all the noise so far GWS are desperate for Petracca at pick one, dealing with them might be so easy.

BulldogBelle
08-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Really? We upgraded our Lake compensation for pick 21 and got a 10 year player - I'm not sure we got bugger all for him. I'm wrapped with how it worked out for us and I think the club was too. I'm happy to trade Cooney out - he'll be 30 next year with the knee of 60 year old. Boyd also should have been traded last year while he still had some currency. We need to move up the draft order and / or increase our options at both the trade / draft table at every opportunity. Both Cooney and Boyd provide / provided an opportunity to do that. Pick 28 for Cooney and Jones is ok for me although I'd prefer more but this is our last chance to get something for Cooney. Jones is not in our best 22 and Cooney may have one year left - what's there to lose exactly?

If we are concerned about the fabric / culture of the club and not trading away champions well that philosophy to me is one of the main reasons why we haven't won a premiership. Times have changed and I think Macca is now seeing things differently and making big calls. For mine, I'd rather have an extended run at a premiership with a bunch of quality 10 year players than slowly nurse our vets through the last 1-2 years of their career. If someone can make better use of Cooney in their window (and I have absolutely no idea why Carlton are interested in him to be honest) then we need to do it. In 10 years time what will we remember? That we traded a 29 year old player on one knee or the extended run we had at the finals because we were smart with our trading? We need to get the players we need who are in the same age profile so we give them not only an opportunity to play finals together but have an extended run at them like Geelong and Hawthorn have.

I'm getting old and sick and tired of not playing Grand Final footy - let's do it.

You are spot on.
Lets do this right for once, make the hard calls and build a great young team and have a red hot crack at a GF.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Should we convince Liam Jones that he head to St Kilda and play for the club his father won a Premiership with.

Jones and Tutt and Pick 5 to the Saints for their Pick 1. (i'm starting to sound like Dedoro)

We get McCartin.

GWS, Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda can fight over Brayshaw, Petracca, Wright, Durdin etc

Axe Man
08-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Should we convince Liam Jones that he head to St Kilda and play for the club his father won a Premiership with.

Jones and Tutt and Pick 5 to the Saints for their Pick 1. (i'm starting to sound like Dedoro)

We get McCartin.

GWS, Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda can fight over Brayshaw, Petracca, Wright, Durdin etc

Premiership? Bob Jones played in 1988 and 1989 for St Kilda, no premierships then, am I missing something?

That's a terrible deal for St Kilda, no way would they accept that.

lemmon
08-10-2014, 02:14 PM

We get McCartin.

A crate of crap doesn't equal a box of gold

Templeton31
08-10-2014, 02:53 PM

One of best lines I've read.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Premiership? Bob Jones played in 1988 and 1989 for St Kilda, no premierships then, am I missing something?

That's a terrible deal for St Kilda, no way would they accept that.

I was under the impression he played in '66.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 02:56 PM

That's trading isn't it.

whythelongface
08-10-2014, 02:58 PM

That would make him well into his 50's and even 60's when he had Liam then.

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2014, 03:02 PM

No.

Liam's dad was born in 1961 and drafted by StKilda in 1987.
Played in 1988 but did his knee in Round 1 1989 and that was the end of his 20 game career.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 03:04 PM
That would make him well into his 50's and even 60's when he had Liam then.

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Just checked Wikipedia. He would have almost been 5 when the Saints won the flag. With this level of research I could write for the Herald-Sun.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Just checked Wikipedia. He would have almost been 5 when the Saints won the flag. With this level of research I could write for the Herald-Sun.

Is that you Robbo:D

Bulldog4life
08-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Will be talking Western Bulldogs on Trade Radio this arvo with Wallace and Barrett. Talking about our list.

lemmon
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Will be talking Western Bulldogs on Trade Radio this arvo with Wallace and Barrett. Talking about our list.
I'd probably suggest anyone who values their sanity find something else to do with their afternoon

Bulldog4life
08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I'd probably suggest anyone who values their sanity find something else to do with their afternoon

Fair enough.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 03:28 PM

I think Wallace will make some sense discussing our list.

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Really? We upgraded our Lake compensation for pick 21 and got a 10 year player - I'm not sure we got bugger all for him. I'm wrapped with how it worked out for us and I think the club was too.

We traded Lake and our Pick 27 for 21 and 41. Lake was contracted and the Hawks were salivating to get him. They needed a key big down back and Lake was a big reason they went back to back. Lake was going to walk the following year? So what we would have been compensated for it. We held all the cards!

If it was just lake for 21 then great I would have been happy. We didn't, we caved when we listened to Lake's manager say we'll get nothing for him next year.

I'm happy with Hrovat though, it's turned out alright. It could have been much better for us though.

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2014, 05:19 PM
We traded Lake and our Pick 27 for 21 and 41. Lake was contracted and the Hawks were salivating to get him. They needed a key big down back and Lake was a big reason they went back to back. Lake was going to walk the following year? So what we would have been compensated for it. We held all the cards!

If it was just lake for 21 then great I would have been happy. We didn't, we caved when we listened to Lake's manager say we'll get nothing for him next year.

I'm happy with Hrovat though, it's turned out alright. It could have been much better for us though.

Lake at 32 on a 1yr deal would have been worth about the same compensation as Carlton were awarded for Waite.

I think we can stop revisting the Lake deal

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Lake at 32 on a 1yr deal would have been worth about the same compensation as Carlton were awarded for Waite.

Lake signed for 2 years as soon as he got there. AA Fullback, we wouldn't have gone without compensation. At worst a 3rd round pick.

Bulldog4life

Please....he has been there 2 years now. It's over. Finished.

mighty_west
I think Wallace will make some sense discussing our list.

He did, he also suggested we shopped Minson and Cooney around.

Sedat
08-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Lake and Tim O'Brien for Hrovat and Stevens. That was effectively what the trade ended up being. Happy with Hrovat as he would not have been available with our pick 27, sort of happy with Stevens but would have loved to keep the pick 27 and get O'Brien instead, who was very much on our radar. We might have been able to pinch Stevens for our 3rd rounder but we'll never know.

The trade wasn't so much win-win as win-instant millionaire. And if O'Brien becomes a significant KPF in the future it will further erode our Hrovat win and make Hawthorn billionaires.

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Please....he has been there 2 years now. It's over. Finished.

Sorry. The talk of trading Cooney and signing a 30 year old for 3 years just brings this to the surface.

We look like a single guy at closing time in a bar trying to grab anything he can see.

Remi Moses
08-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Lake and Tim O'Brien for Hrovat and Stevens. That was effectively what the trade ended up being. Happy with Hrovat as he would not have been available with our pick 27, sort of happy with Stevens but would have loved to keep the pick 27 and get O'Brien instead, who was very much on our radar. We might have been able to pinch Stevens for our 3rd rounder but we'll never know.

The trade wasn't so much win-win as win-instant millionaire. And if O'Brien becomes a significant KPF in the future it will further erode our Hrovat win and make Hawthorn billionaires.

Just how though is O'Brien going to get a look in with Hawthorn?
They've also got Sicily coming through as well, and his a third forward

Remi Moses
08-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Sorry. The talk of trading Cooney and signing a 30 year old for 3 years just brings this to the surface.

We look like a single guy at closing time in a bar trying to grab anything he can see.

Anything with a pulse

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Anything with a pulse

Seems like it Remi. Next we'll ask Freo to trade us Zac Dawson.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 05:38 PM

We did what we did to get him because it was our one chance. Hrovat was no way going to last until 27. Everyone was surprised he went at 21 as everyone had him higher. We have got a bloody good player there.

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 05:40 PM
We did what we did to get him because it was our one chance. Hrovat was no way going to last until 27. Everyone was surprised he went at 21 as everyone had him higher. We have got a bloody good player there.

Sorry, disagree. We had 2 weeks to move up in the draft if Hrovat was in fact the player we wanted.

Don't disagree with you on Hrovat though, really like the kid.

Twodogs
08-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Seems like it Remi. Next we'll ask Freo to trade us Zac Dawson.

Don't even joke about it. Ixnay on the Cazjay.

G-Mo77
08-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Don't even joke about it. Ixnay on the Cazjay.

Well he is one of my favorite opposition players. Something tells me I wouldn't like him as much if he was with us. :P

hujsh
08-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Let's offer Dustin Fletcher a contract while we're at it

bornadog
08-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Let's offer Dustin Fletcher a contract while we're at it

Well he is getting a gig again in the International rules games. Can't believe they can't find someone else.

whythelongface
09-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Can we start a list of all the players we have been linked with this trade period:

Lonergan
Vickery
Greenwood
Merrett
Reid
Membrey
Hannebery
Stanley
Grimley
Casboult
O'Keefe
Butcher
Jaksch

There is probably plenty more to add. One wonders how many of these rumours are actually true.

Dry Rot
09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Has Carlton just realised that Jones is a spud? Dunno that Jaksch has shown much.

Meanwhile, Bulldogs key forward Liam Jones might not get to Carlton, with The Age reporting the Blues would prefer Greater Western Sydney youngster Kristian Jaksch as a long-term replacement for Jarrad Waite.

The Age also reports that a speculated deal that would involve Jones, Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and pick 45 going to Carlton in exchange for the Blues' pick 28 has no chance of being realised.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-09/trade-winds-thursday

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Has Carlton just realised that Jones is a spud? Dunno that Jaksch has shown much.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-09/trade-winds-thursday

Wonder how Jones reads that situation now?

jeemak
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Well, at least we all got to flap our arms about in a frenzied manner.

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 11:42 AM

If he is going to listen to the foolish ramblings of his manager and hold us to ransom / call our bluff then he has no-one else to blame but himself. We should send him to the Aints or retain him and half his pay which would probably be more in line with his output.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Can he read?

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Can he read?

I know he can't read the flight of a footy that well.

Jeanette54
09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
If he is going to listen to the foolish ramblings of his manager and hold us to ransom / call our bluff then he has no-one else to blame but himself. We should send him to the Aints or retain him and half his pay which would probably be more in line with his output.

If we can fix it so Liam stays, well so much the better.

Hopefully he will realise that he needs to do what the coach asks of him, improve both his attitude to second/third efforts and/or his tank. The tragedy is that the talent is there.

SlimPickens
09-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Hopefully he will realise that he needs to do what the coach asks of him, improve both his attitude to second/third efforts and/or his tank. The tragedy is that the talent is there.

Hear a lot about Liam needing to develop his tank. I just don't think he has the capabilities to develop it to the level required. He has had 6 preseasons without serious injury and continued to finish last (by a considerable way) in all the endurance running drills. IMO the only way he can make it, is by playing closer to goals which the way footy is played these days, limits him quite considerably.

ratsmac
09-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Well, at least we all got to flap our arms about in a frenzied manner.

Hahaha

Greystache
09-10-2014, 01:24 PM
If we can fix it so Liam stays, well so much the better.

Like a couple of other players who supporters label as "talented" Jones has some serious weaknesses he may never be able to overcome. Lack of endurance is a major one.

As I said in another thread, if he ends up have to come back to us grovelling because the outside world is harsher than he was expecting, then it might be the making of him as a player, but even with a stronger focus to improve he's still got an uphill fight ahead.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Trade Radio reporting RYAN GRIFFEN is requesting a trade to GWS!!

dadsgirl16
09-10-2014, 03:01 PM
just heard on SEN...feel sick

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 01:46 PM
I would love Jenkins. I think he'll explode next year. At times this year he looked like a man playing the game against boys.

I have tried in recent years to remove emotional attachment from our players, but I'd be shattered to lose Griffen.

Adam White on Grandstand ABC Radio just said he expected one of Minson, Griffen or Cooney to be gone from Bulldogs by the end of trade period. I'd be very surprised if Griffen was gone. And not happy about it either.

You'd probably say Minson out of the 3 but I'd have no problems moving Cooney on. Griffen? I'd breathe fire!

Wow wee! Think Minson or Cooney could go, but I'd be staggered by Griffen.

I would be surprised if any of them were gone

So now that it's happening, what are we feeling?

I'm shattered as a fan, but I am going to move on and just hope we make the most of it.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 01:51 PM

I'm shattered as a fan, but I am going to move on and just hope we make the most of it.
Want them all gone. What is the point of sacrificing BMac if the players still have the keys to the city?

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Want them all gone. What is the point of sacrificing BMac if the players still have the keys to the city?

Oh I agree competely.

I'm just curious to know if the feelings about Griffen leaving are the same in reality as they were in idea.

I'm not taking it as badly as I thought I would. I'm able to see that Griffen leaving is a great opportunity, despite my disappointment.

I am.... less pleased with the coach situation.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2014, 01:53 PM

It's the only way the club can save some face.

I can't see Minson leaving, the others (Cooney and Griff) seem likely.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
I am.... less pleased with the coach situation.
The coach situation doesn't please me because of the message this decision has portrayed to the media. There are far better actual coaches out there that could and should be more effective in implementing a game plan and getting better results. At the end of the day, BMac is far more suited to player development (admittedly a big part of senior coach remit) than he is on actual tactical coaching and the game day cut and thrust.

But yep, the message of weakness and lack of leadership has been there for all to see in the last 24 hours.

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 02:07 PM
The coach situation doesn't please me because of the message this decision has portrayed to the media. There are far better actual coaches out there that could and should be more effective in implementing a game plan and getting better results. At the end of the day, BMac is far more suited to player development (admittedly a big part of senior coach remit) than he is on actual tactical coaching and the game day cut and thrust.

But yep, the message of weakness and lack of leadership has been there for all to see in the last 24 hours.

I would've been content if the club didn't renew his contract when the current one expired. If there were doubts over his coaching ability then that probably would've happened anyway.

As everyone else no doubt feels, I just would much have preferred us to stick fat with him in this time.

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 02:31 PM

In regards to my quote we're not voluntarily trading Griffen. Griffen tried to force our hand.

As I said to a person at work I just feel defeated as a supporter.

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 02:32 PM
In regards to my quote we're not voluntarily trading Griffen. Griffen tried to force our hand.

As I said to a person at work I just feel defeated as a supporter.

Yeah I'm not picking fights, I'm genuinely curious.

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Yeah I'm not picking fights, I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah I know bud.

wimberga
10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Damian Barrett on Griffen leaving: "Dahlhaus was giving it consideration. I don't expect he would've gone down same path. He's far from happy" - Twitter via Trade Radio.

so dahlhaus is unhappy to? Jeezus

bornadog
10-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Damian Barrett on Griffen leaving: "Dahlhaus was giving it consideration. I don't expect he would've gone down same path. He's far from happy" - Twitter via Trade Radio.

I said it before it wasn't just a few seniors.

always right
10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Somebody might like to show young Luke this extract from an article in The Age back on April 28, 2012.

LUKE Dahlhaus occupies a precarious place in the hearts and minds of Bulldog fans, where pessimism has been known to reside.

When a young man in red, white and blue lifts them off their seats in pure excitement, daring them to dream, they know others will be watching, too. The joy he brings is stalked by a familiar dread - that it's only a matter of time before dark forces bearing gifts steal him away.

''I'd just say to them I'm never leaving,'' Dahlhaus says of the notion that he could be lured down a path most recently trodden by Callan Ward, and before him by enough big-name Bulldogs to fill a bus. ''It's not going to be up to me if I'm leaving anyway, I want to be here for the next 10 years. I'm definitely a person who wants to be a one-club man, and always will be.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-bulldog-to-banish-sense-of-dread-20120427-1xqbm.html#ixzz3FiDV8nXl

bornadog
10-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Somebody might like to show young Luke this extract from an article in The Age back on April 28, 2012.

LUKE Dahlhaus occupies a precarious place in the hearts and minds of Bulldog fans, where pessimism has been known to reside.

When a young man in red, white and blue lifts them off their seats in pure excitement, daring them to dream, they know others will be watching, too. The joy he brings is stalked by a familiar dread - that it's only a matter of time before dark forces bearing gifts steal him away.

''I'd just say to them I'm never leaving,'' Dahlhaus says of the notion that he could be lured down a path most recently trodden by Callan Ward, and before him by enough big-name Bulldogs to fill a bus. ''It's not going to be up to me if I'm leaving anyway, I want to be here for the next 10 years. I'm definitely a person who wants to be a one-club man, and always will be.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-bulldog-to-banish-sense-of-dread-20120427-1xqbm.html#ixzz3FiDV8nXl

Just proves to me there were major major issues for him to change his mind.

always right
10-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Either that or he was full of shit when interviewed.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 04:57 PM

If a player is asked if he wants to be a one club player, every single one will say yes. What else do they say? If they try and dodge the question then the media would be all over it.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Either that or he was full of shit when interviewed.

I like to believe that it was all true at the time when he said it. Times obviously change. He's still a Bulldog though.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 05:14 PM

Damian who? More rumours and innuendo. Why don't you just stick the knife in even further Barrett, you sod.

KT31
10-10-2014, 05:20 PM
A poster on Trade Radio has Cooney having a medical at North, anyone have any info ?

bornadog
10-10-2014, 05:21 PM
A poster on Trade Radio has Cooney having a medical at North, anyone have any info ?

I heard the same through a mate.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Paul Dimattina to challenge for club presidency. Anyone hear this?

azabob
10-10-2014, 05:26 PM

That is amusing.

KT31
10-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I heard it on the radio when I took my Delorean for a drive.:D

Greystache
10-10-2014, 05:34 PM

You quote some rubbish about not believing most of what you hear and half of what you read in one thread, then treat gossip and rumour as fact in another. So which is it, or is it depending on the point you want to make?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Jees....the annual Dimma is planning a coup report. Is Dimma needing to raise his profile in the press again?

Greystache
10-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Looking for some free advertising again. I'd prefer to hear from Aker!!

anfo27
10-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Piss off Dimma! i don't doubt his passion for the club but this is definitely not the answer.

anfo27
10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Lonergan has officially turned down our offer. Gee thats a big surprise!

Templeton31
10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
yeh if macca was his connection no surprises there.

Axe Man
10-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Lorergan may not have been the answer but we desperately need some experience and leadership if Griffen, Cooney and Minson end up leaving. Any chance we can get Daniel Cross back?

bornadog
10-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Piss off Dimma! i don't doubt his passion for the club but this is definitely not the answer.

calm down it was a joke. ( I hope :D

anfo27
10-10-2014, 06:00 PM
calm down it was a joke. ( I hope :D

I hope so. I hope the last two days is a joke. I haven't been this flat since the 97 prelim final. i reckon i was the last person to leave the MCG that day and it took me 3 months to get over that game.

Why are bulldogs supporters cursed?

hujsh
10-10-2014, 06:19 PM
The way things are going I'd expect Dimma to be the new president in 3 days and an announcement that we're the new AFL expansion team in New Zealand in 5.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 06:35 PM
According to the Hun Cooney has had medicals at both NORTH and ESSENDON

bornadog
10-10-2014, 06:37 PM
According to the Hun Cooney has had medicals at both NORTH and ESSENDON

Well lets see what deal we can do. Carlisle come on down:D

I guess no one wants to come to us so its just trade for picks.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Best we can probably do is an upgrade of picks.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Best we can probably do is an upgrade of picks.

Yes now reported he is meeting with North,on twitter.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes now reported he is meeting with North,on twitter.

I am ok with him leaving, obviously not wanting to be with us and he is past it anyway.

Greystache
10-10-2014, 07:36 PM

You can rule Carlisle out, he loved BMac.

FrediKanoute
10-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Lets face it, its a f*cking mess.

You can't trade for players with the state the club is in. We have completely ballsed this up

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Only a straight swap? I want a pick too.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Only a straight swap? I want a pick too.

Is Cooney worth that much?

Rocket Science
10-10-2014, 09:21 PM

Barrett's full of characteristic piss and wind on this topic and happy to self aggrandise while pouring petrol over it, irrespective of basis or reasonable perspective.

He's one of many lining up for a cheap kick right now.

We've given them ample ammo but it's not hard to distinguish those covering developments with justifiable lament from those eagerly sensationalising and relishing it.

Not hard to peg which camp he's in. Turd.

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Lets face it, its a f*cking mess.

You can't trade for players with the state the club is in. We have completely ballsed this up

1 week to go in the trade period a bare payroll and we've got this hanging over our head.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 09:28 PM
1 week to go in the trade period a bare payroll and we've got this hanging over our head.

The best that can happen now is for JMac and Co to obtain as many good draft picks as possible and draft well. Hopefully we look back at this as our watershed moment.

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 09:31 PM
The best that can happen now is for JMac and Co to obtain as many good draft picks as possible and draft well. Hopefully we look back at this as our watershed moment.

Yesterday was supposed to be the watershed moment. :D

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Is Cooney worth that much?

Well if Dodoro was trading Cooney to us, he'd want Bontempelli and Stringer.

So yeah, Cooney's worth that :).

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Yesterday was supposed to be the watershed moment. :D

True G-Mo. Just trying to look at that bright side.:)

KT31
10-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Any truth in the rumour the Woofer was seen at the Cattery getting a whiskers implant.:D

ledge
11-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Any truth in the rumour the Woofer was seen at the Cattery getting a whiskers implant.:D

We are asking a 1st rounder and lonergan as woofer is still under contract

bornadog
11-10-2014, 12:34 AM
The HUn reporting Jack Trengove to Richmond for pick12 :eek:

soupman
11-10-2014, 12:43 AM
The HUn reporting Jack Trengove to Richmond for pick12 :eek:

Oh yeah. Trade week eh? Who knew it was still going. At least the rest of the football community has something to talk about as they wait around for nothing to happen.

bornadog
11-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Oh yeah. Trade week eh? Who knew it was still going. At least the rest of the football community has something to talk about as they wait around for nothing to happen.

Life must go on.

boydogs
11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Realise we're ripe for the picking with rumour starters at the moment, but there is some talk that some of the conflict and requests for trade are arising from a drug culture at the club

soupman
11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Realise we're ripe for the picking with rumour starters at the moment, but there is some talk that some of the conflict and requests for trade are arising from a drug culture at the club

So what you're telling us is that we are still yet to hit rock bottom. This'll be fun.

hujsh
11-10-2014, 01:08 AM
hooray...

LostDoggy
11-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Where have you heard this?

Twodogs
11-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Like a couple of other players who supporters label as "talented" Jones has some serious weaknesses he may never be able to overcome. Lack of endurance is a major one.

As I said in another thread, if he ends up have to come back to us grovelling because the outside world is harsher than he was expecting, then it might be the making of him as a player, but even with a stronger focus to improve he's still got an uphill fight ahead.

I'd like to see us bring in a key forward to play alongside him for a season under a new coach before I call his career over. If his career fails then so be it. He may have been in the system umpteen years but he will still only be 25 if he signs a two year contract. I'd hate the fact a conventional set up was all that was the problem. I keep going back to his time next to Hall. I know we would only be prolonging the inevitable but it might go the other way. I don't want to see him flourish under a different new coach.

boydogs
11-10-2014, 03:36 AM
Where have you heard this?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brendan-mccartney-quits.1079654/page-25#post-35630615
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/i-like-brendan-mccartney.1079708/#post-35633862

That second bloke is a known shit stirrer, but nothing would surprise me at the moment

jeemak
11-10-2014, 03:49 AM
If things could get worse, the best way for it to happen would be to find out a whole bunch of folk down at the club have been smashing the Dean Rice non-stop.

ledge
11-10-2014, 08:18 AM
If that had been happening since the 90s it would have come out by now. Also with all the drug testing it would be impossible for a few not to have been found out .. I say a big crapola.

chef
11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
3AW saying Norf are offering their 4th rounder for Coons.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
3AW saying Norf are offering their 4th rounder for Coons.

Not enough. Surely he's worth better than that.

lemmon
11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Interesting that Koby and Mitch Wallis are on holiday in New York with John Butcher and recently delisted Port player Campbell Heath, it probably means absolutely nothing but does anyone know if there's a connection?

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure John Butcher is from East Gippsland, somewhere near Bairnsdale. He probably knows Koby Stevens from childhood.

bornadog
11-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure John Butcher is from East Gippsland, somewhere near Bairnsdale. He probably knows Koby Stevens from childhood.

and Clay Smith as well.

ledge
11-10-2014, 07:18 PM
From what I got from inside the club is Howard is a very funny guy.

Happy Days
11-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm not here to throw speculation around about if/who/what is going on in bathroom cubicles at CQ, but if there is a drug culture at the club, it is symptomatic of wider societal attitudes towards drugs than anything within club walls. If the club has allowed it to go on then it is poor, but from a communication and leadership perspective, rather than the "omg drugs 4/20 666" perspective.

I know of, first hand in some cases, many players from many clubs indulging. We're not a unique proposition.

LostDoggy
11-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Not enough. Surely he's worth better than that.

Have you watched Cooney over the last 3 years? lucky if any team wants him, get what we can, he's a lazy footballer.

F'scary
11-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Interesting that Koby and Mitch Wallis are on holiday in New York with John Butcher and recently delisted Port player Campbell Heath, it probably means absolutely nothing but does anyone know if there's a connection?

Campbell Heath, young delisted free agent cut from a team that has a very strong squad and is looking to top up for the premiership tilt next year. Could be worth a place ahead of one or two on our list already.

Butcher - not dissimilar to Jones, could be worth a look if the price is reasonable.

KT31
11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=gogriff;404216]http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brendan-mccartney-quits.1079654/page-25#post-35630615
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/i-like-brendan-mccartney.1079708/#post-35633862

Sounds like shit to me.

F'scary
11-10-2014, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=gogriff;404216]http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brendan-mccartney-quits.1079654/page-25#post-35630615

Sounds like shit to me.

Smells like shit to me.

boydogs
11-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Smells like shit to me.

I hope so, it would be good to see at least one negative rumour this off season that doesn't come true

anfo27
12-10-2014, 01:32 AM

John Butcher and Campbell Heath are both Maffra boys and Koby & the Butcher were in the same Gippsland TAC team.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 11:24 PM
The Age are reporting that a trade involving Carlton and the Giants was in place this evening, with the clubs waiting on GWS midfielder Mark Whiley to decide whether he wanted to play for the Blues given other clubs had shown earlier interest.
Carlton would send pick 7 to the Giants in that deal, sliding down the first round order to No.19 and gaining key position prospect Kristian Jaksch.
Whiley last week reportedly told GWS officials he had no interest of joining Carlton, with other Victorian clubs keen for his services.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Tom Boyd wanted by dogs. I read the rumour on here though. :)

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 11:36 PM
4 and 7
Give us some joy for once List management / recruiting team.
Wonder if the sooks wages can be paid by us, therefore a bargaining tool for 7 ( if it becomes available)

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 11:37 PM
The Age are reporting that a trade involving Carlton and the Giants was in place this evening, with the clubs waiting on GWS midfielder Mark Whiley to decide whether he wanted to play for the Blues given other clubs had shown earlier interest.
Carlton would send pick 7 to the Giants in that deal, sliding down the first round order to No.19 and gaining key position prospect Kristian Jaksch.
Whiley last week reportedly told GWS officials he had no interest of joining Carlton, with other Victorian clubs keen for his services.

Good deal for GWS IMHO .

bornadog
12-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Good deal for GWS IMHO .
We can now ask for 4 and 7

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 11:44 PM
We can now ask for 4 and 7

We can ask. The big question is if they are willing to part with both.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Would we rather Pick 4 & Tomlinson/McCarthy/? or Pick 4 & 7?

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Good deal for GWS IMHO .

If Tutt and Jones hold interest to Carlton/GWS. And Griffen to GWS. Then we'd want something collectively pretty good in the tri-club trade scenario.

Dogs: Griffen, Tutt, Jones - Get Boyd, 38
GWS: Boyd, KJ, 19, 38 - Get Griffen, Tutt, 7, 42 (keep pick 4)
Carlton: 7, 42 - Get Jones, KJ, 19

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 11:59 PM

Pick 4 and player for sure. Getting a tall that has has a couple of years development would be hugely beneficial.

wimberga
13-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Certainly would love 4+ McCarthy if we can do it, but would be happy with any of the above

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Trade Radio is saying a Cooney for Schoenmakers trade isn't out of the question

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Done. Where do we sign.

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Done. Where do we sign.

Schoenmakers (aka Drago) was ok before he ruptured his ACL. Still young and has a big body... Swapping two players with only one knee each is kinda funny.

Greystache
13-10-2014, 11:55 AM

I don't rate Clangermakers at all, but I'd still do that trade on the spot.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't rate Clangermakers at all, but I'd still do that trade on the spot.

I'd also do it. But they were only talking about it because some random rang up and suggested it? Can't see it happening.

whythelongface
13-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Bring it on. Shoenmakers is ok and still young.

Mofra
13-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Tom Boyd wants to come to us!!!