PDA

View Full Version : Griffen's (sore) Back

Go_Dogs
22-06-2014, 07:57 PM
There has been quite a bit of speculation about Griff and his back troubles this year, and I must say, without knowing the extent of the injury, I'm flying blind, but...

If he has some disc issues, which I assume he does, I wonder if we're best to pull him out and let him go in for a microdiscectomy with the aim to having him back to 100% for next season?

Backs can be very troublesome (speaking from personal experience) and it seems like rest hasn't helped settle the issue. I'm not sure if he has had the injections or not, which would generally be the first step for that kind of an injury - which could be another option - but given the injury hasn't settled down I'm not sure if that approach would be best.

I just hate seeing such a good player, and such a proud one, running around with the weight of captaincy on his shoulders (along with being our best and most important player) and not being able to impact the game as much as he wants to.

Would others be prepared to put him on ice for the season?

Dancin' Douggy
22-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I agree 100%. If it's a back problem rest him.
The year is shot. Let him rest/rehabilitate/ whatever it takes.
He's our best player by a mile.

G-Mo77
22-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Would others be prepared to put him on ice for the season?

Yep.

He looked in a hell of a lot of pain yesterday, he needed to be assisted to walk off the ground at half time. I heard back spasms on thee telecast which can be incredibly painful so that could explain it. Though it does seem like it's ongoing and if it is even mildly serious we're getting to a stage were we should be thinking about 2015. I'd have no problems sitting him for an extended time or for the duration of the season.

KT31
22-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Where did he go ? ;)

bornadog
22-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Where did he go ? ;)
Yeah I read it like that as well

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2014, 03:09 PM
If he's been carrying a back injury all year, I'd be livid at our club for playing him.

First of all, player welfare - no doubt he'd want to play but there's more to life than footy, especially with serious issues such as back injuries.

Secondly, him playing injured doesn't help himself nor the team in any way. We know he's a great player, but he has been poor this year (aside from maybe 1-2 games). If he physically cannot reach his level of expected output, he shouldn't be playing. We can't even use the excuse that "we're challenging".

For mine, clubs like to pretend they're concerned with player welfare, but really it's an afterthought.

Remi Moses
23-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Clubs have targeted it as well. ( got not issue as once you take the field you're fit)

Ozza
23-06-2014, 04:15 PM
If he's been carrying a back injury all year, I'd be livid at our club for playing him.

First of all, player welfare - no doubt he'd want to play but there's more to life than footy, especially with serious issues such as back injuries.

Secondly, him playing injured doesn't help himself nor the team in any way. We know he's a great player, but he has been poor this year (aside from maybe 1-2 games). If he physically cannot reach his level of expected output, he shouldn't be playing. We can't even use the excuse that "we're challenging".

For mine, clubs like to pretend they're concerned with player welfare, but really it's an afterthought.

He was fine when he had 14 possessions to his name half way through the first quarter. He was always fine (barring a calf cork later in the day) when he was carving up Macaffer and Collingwood the week before.

I'm sure the club medico's wouldn't allow him to play injured. That being said, all players carry some niggles.

The comment about clubs not really being concerned about player welfare is a pretty strong assertion.

Remi Moses
23-06-2014, 05:44 PM
If he has an ailment that requires surgery or rest, it's now time to exercise that option

jazzadogs
23-06-2014, 06:16 PM
If he has an ailment that requires surgery or rest, it's now time to exercise that option

The debate would be whether it does require surgery or rest.

A lot of evidence about dealing with back pain (particularly disc related) suggests that surgery is rarely the best option, with self-therapy, correction of posture (which from my limited knowledge of Griff appears to be an issue) and activity the best things for it. Having said that, playing football and getting knocked around is also not ideal.

I would have faith in the physios and other health professionals working at the club to have devised the best treatment plan possible for him, and be adapting it throughout the season as needed.

n.b. The McKenzie method is one method of non-operative treatment that is well-respected amongst Physios, developed by a NZ bloke and practiced worldwide. I'd strongly recommend anyone who has been dealing with back pain google and/or buy the book "Treat your own back".

boydogs
23-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Not sure if his current issue is an ongoing thing from preseason or just from last weekend. The injury report blames someone landing on it during the game

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-23/medical-room-griffen-to-be-monitored

jazzadogs
23-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Not sure if his current issue is an ongoing thing from preseason or just from last weekend. The injury report blames someone landing on it during the game

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-23/medical-room-griffen-to-be-monitored

Sounds like free chiropractic 'treatment'.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-06-2014, 01:01 AM
He was fine when he had 14 possessions to his name half way through the first quarter. He was always fine (barring a calf cork later in the day) when he was carving up Macaffer and Collingwood the week before.

I'm sure the club medico's wouldn't allow him to play injured. That being said, all players carry some niggles.

The comment about clubs not really being concerned about player welfare is a pretty strong assertion.

Griffen was initially brought back into the senior side at least a month too early, and whilst he was good v Collingwood and OK v Port Adelaide at the beginning, I am far from convinced that he is/was 100%. Carrying niggles is OK - carrying a back injury isn't.

It is a strong assertion but there are quite a few examples of this, as recent as Christensen on the weekend which has been doing the rounds in the media today. Also think the way we've handled Cooney, Higgins and Minson during their situations was poor. Higgins was something like 7kg lighter, couldn't run, but we kept saying "no he's fine". Took us forever to pull the plug and find out what was wrong (thyroid), and I recall something similar with Minson. Cooney had to do his own research to find a solution to his problem whilst still playing with a degenerative knee.

Other issues off the top of my head include Lewis' concussion v us and playing on, us convincing Williams to play on when his body is shot (he wears some kind of padded thongs to walk around in at home, such is his daily pain), Hansen's concussion at Norf a few years ago etc.

I think clubs put winning long before player welfare.