PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Women this Sunday

Big Will
25-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

Just a little plug to the passionate Doggies supporters and members out there - the Western Bulldogs Women's team will be playing their once a year exhibition game this Sunday at Etihad Stadium 10:10am vs Melbourne Demons. It is a curtain raiser to the men's game and as a player, I am reaching out to all of you to come down early and show us your support!

Members access is free but you will need to enter at Gate 2 if arriving early. We are still on the hunt for additional sponsorship also, link is below.

Player Profiles and Sponsorship:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team/womens-team

Match Details:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-24/dogs-women-gear-up-for-sunday-showdown

We have been training for a long time now and looking for redemption from our loss last year. We can't wait to get out there and represent our club with pride once again!

Lauren Arnell

boydogs
25-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Member since 2007, looks like you were a Doggies supporter well before being a player. Must be a thrill to represent the club

Bulldog4life
25-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Good on you Lauren. My family will be there cheering you on.

bornadog
26-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Have a great game.

LostDoggy
26-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Will get there early for a look for sure! I'm sure all the training will pay off, All the best Lauren!

wimberga
26-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Good luck Lauren!

Murphy'sLore
26-06-2014, 12:00 PM
My family, with two daughters, are planning to come along early as well.

Best of luck, Lauren.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Best of luck Lauren and our Bulldog team. What a great initiative this is by Susan Alberti and the club. Come on women, jump on the Bulldogs bandwagon.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

Just a little plug to the passionate Doggies supporters and members out there - the Western Bulldogs Women's team will be playing their once a year exhibition game this Sunday at Etihad Stadium 10:10am vs Melbourne Demons. It is a curtain raiser to the men's game and as a player, I am reaching out to all of you to come down early and show us your support!

Members access is free but you will need to enter at Gate 2 if arriving early. We are still on the hunt for additional sponsorship also, link is below.

Player Profiles and Sponsorship:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team/womens-team

Match Details:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-24/dogs-women-gear-up-for-sunday-showdown

We have been training for a long time now and looking for redemption from our loss last year. We can't wait to get out there and represent our club with pride once again!

Lauren Arnell
Lauren,

You are a star and will be looking to cheer on the No.13 in the tri colours.

SonofScray
26-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I will be there early to cheer the team on. Congratulations on the opportunity to represent us and play the game at this level in red, white and blue. Do the jumper proud.

susie bulldog
27-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone, I have not been posting for sometime, but it is great to be back under new registration name.
Get along to Ethiad on sunday and watch the best female AFL footballers in Australia. They are amazing.
Lauren, I am delighted to be your sponsor for the game. Go Dogs!

Murphy'sLore
27-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Welcome back, Susie :)

susie bulldog
27-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Welcome back, Susie :)

its great to be back with all the woofers!!

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, I have not been posting for sometime, but it is great to be back under new registration name.
Get along to Ethiad on sunday and watch the best female AFL footballers in Australia. They are amazing.
Lauren, I am delighted to be your sponsor for the game. Go Dogs!

A great effort to sponsor Lauren who I am reliably informed is the only member of the team who actually barracks for the Western Bulldogs. Welcome back to the fold.

susie bulldog
27-06-2014, 05:51 PM
A great effort to sponsor Lauren who I am reliably informed is the only member of the team who actually barracks for the Western Bulldogs. Welcome back to the fold.J
Just left the WO after watching the girls train. Amazing group of talented AFL players. Had the opportunity to talk to the team. They cannot wait for sunday Go Dogs!

Eastdog
27-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Susie Bulldog are you Susan Alberti.

bornadog
27-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Susie Bulldog are you Susan Alberti.

Most people prefer to be anonymous on forums.

Eastdog
27-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Most people prefer to be anonymous on forums.

Thats cool I understand.

bornadog
27-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Thats cool I understand.
answer is yes:D

HOSE B ROMERO
27-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Enjoy the day Lauren. It may not sink in but you ladies are real pioneers. It's a bit hard to fathom just how quickly the game has grown in the last five years. I think there's 170,000 females playing the game.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know how long the quarters go for? I will only be able to get there for the second half.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Just on Susan Alberti. She is one of the most impressive speakers you could ever wish to hear. I remember being at an AGM about 10 years and i thought 'who is this lady?'. Such presence. If ladies football was around years ago she would have been captain.

Big Will
27-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Response from Bulldogs supporters has been brilliant and gives us players moments to really understand the history and culture of our great club.
We are endlessly grateful and in constant awe and admiration of Sue Alberti. Thank you Sue!
A real presence when she spoke to us today - she really knows how to connect to people. Honoured to represent her and our club!

On footy matters - we've had a brilliant first day in camp and the group is really gelling together easily.
Tomorrow we will complete our final preparation for Sunday and also meet the boys on the track for a little fun.
The club, starting from Simon Garlick have been amazing.

Hope to see you all there at 10am Sunday - 4 x 20min quarters.

Go doggies!

Doc26
27-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Go Lauren !

Will be cheering you on with the fam.

susie bulldog
29-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Go Lauren !

Will be cheering you on with the fam.

The big day has arrived. Lets get behind our girls and cheer on the red white and blue They are a fantastic group of women. Sue Alberti will again be President of the WB for the day. Peter Gordon has handed over the mantle to Sue for the day. Go Dogs!

Hotdog60
29-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I see there is live streaming so I'll be giving my support from sunny QLD.
Go Dogettes

Dancin' Douggy
29-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Heading off now with my daughter who kicked 2 goals for her team yesterday. She's 14 playing under 18's.
She's stoked!

HOSE B ROMERO
29-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Enjoying the live AFL stream. Very impressed with the standard. The physicality and the skill. Just a pity the Dees are 4 goals up in the second quarter. C'mon Dogs, dig deep.

Hotdog60
29-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Entertaining game bad luck to the Dogettes, Melb just a bit cleaner with their disposal and positioning on ground.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Heading off now with my daughter who kicked 2 goals for her team yesterday. She's 14 playing under 18's.
She's stoked!

Fantastic DD, you and your daughter are part of the leading edge of the wedge! Hope you both have a great day.

Doc26
29-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Would seem our key position forward curse is not limited to our men's team with the Dees two key forwards Randall and Harris too dominant this morning, and the key point of difference between the teams. Nonetheless a fantastic exhibition of women's football with impressive skills on display. Well done to all involved, a great initiative.

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 06:55 PM
The skills today were fantastic and it's absolutely obvious to see how much work has gone into this match, well done girls, thoroughly enjoyed it. Lauren Spark (#11) is our favourite (my daughter and I) but they all did us proud today, kept fighting to the end.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Was there to see the whole game. First time I have seen a women's match live and I was very impressed with the kicking and the tackling as well as the overall standard. A good spectacle and would definitely go again.

Dancin' Douggy
29-06-2014, 08:48 PM
The standard was so high today I was really impressed. But then again, it almost sounds condescending to say I was 'impressed'.

Women will never be able to play against men because of body size. But other than that there's nothing stopping them being good kicks. good marks. good crumbers. good readers of the play. I was just so thrilled for my daughter and all her teammates who were watching, to get the same level of pleasure out of footy that I had when I was a kid. And that is the point of all these things. Nothing should ever be held jealously by men. Let your daughters, sisters, girlfriends in to this stuff and you'll all be happier!

boydogs
29-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Not sure how much time the teams got to spend together, but it looked like Melbourne were a lot more confident linking up whilst we tended to go long or hesitate. Good to watch though, even though it was a bit one sided

LostDoggy
29-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Not sure how much time the teams got to spend together, but it looked like Melbourne were a lot more confident linking up whilst we tended to go long or hesitate. Good to watch though, even though it was a bit one sided

Natural when you have a cobbled-together rep side.

boydogs
30-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Natural when you have a cobbled-together rep side.

Yeah I imagine it would have been difficult for them. Melbourne may have had more players familiar with each other through the middle as it seemed every time they got possession it went through 3-4 hands and two kicks downfield, whereas we would just kick it to the next contest.

It was surprisingly engaging, I was cheering for WB pretty hard and lamenting missed holding the ball calls :D

SonofScray
30-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Watch the post game interview. Brought a tear to my eye seeing someone so appreciative of the opportunity represent our Club and live out the childhood dream we all have shared. Showed our Club the utmost respect and I for one will always remember that. I really hope our Club can lead the way in providing opportunities for these women to play the game at an elite, and one day, professional level.

GVGjr
30-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I enjoyed watching the game and hope we can continue with it next year. I'll certainly look to sponsor a player.
The club should be congratulated for supporting this. To me the thought that some of the ladies were able to achieve their childhood dream by playing a game of AFL football in a venue like Etihad in our great jumper is something that we should be supporting.

3 cheers for all those that not only participated in the game but made it happen.

susie bulldog
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Sunday's game between the WB and Melb women's teams was more about showcasing women's football. AFL women's football is the fastest growing segment of the AFL. It is proposed that by 2020 there will be a national AFL women's competition with all AFL clubs involved. The WB are trailblazers in this area
The Melb team on sunday were most worthy of their win. Aasta O'Connor from the WB was named best on the ground. Aasta has been the captain of the WB for two years.

bornadog
01-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Sunday's game between the WB and Melb women's teams was more about showcasing women's football. AFL women's football is the fastest growing segment of the AFL. It is proposed that by 2020 there will be a national AFL women's competition with all AFL clubs involved. The WB are trailblazers in this area
The Melb team on sunday were most worthy of their win. Aasta O'Connor from the WB was named best on the ground. Aasta has been the captain of the WB for two years.

Great initiative and hopefully a National Competition will prevail. My wife's niece plays in a country league and they have steadily being growing with more and more participants. She has also played for Victoria and is only 16 but very keen. Its something the young girls can strive for.

Murphy'sLore
02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Loved watching the game and found it inspiring.
Can we maybe pick some more talls for the WB side next year though? :)

susie bulldog
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
We are right onto your comments regarding "talls" for the WB team. You have to admit our captain Aasta O'Connor is tall and very fit. She is a great ambassador for our club.